Rank the Texas Medical Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd rank TCOM somewhere in the middle most likely, as an all around good school. When you consider the facilities, the quality of education, the faculty, etc., they are severely under rated. TCOM actually didn't interview me, even though I wish they had. I have worked with several TCOM graduates, and they were rather astute physicians - at least better than some of their colleagues I worked with.

Until we get to the day where the majority of residency directors perceive MD=DO, applicants will continue to place TCOM in the bottom rung of Texas schools, regardless of its merits as an educational institution, because the DO moniker is associated with just too many inconveniences (additional OMM classes, some limitations in residency placements, etc.) for people to just ignore.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'm saying that I know many people that chose other schools ONLY because TCOM was DO, they openly admit that TCOM is a great school, and they say that TCOM is probably better than the school they're at, but they didn't want to go there because of the stigma associated with DO. I'm sure there are people choose not to go there because they'd rather be in the Houston Medical Center, or be associated with a school with reputation like Southwestern, or be closer to their family/friends, etc.

Edit: The people I spoke to include people that went to UNTHSC for their masters and took courses with the same professors that teach med students. They especially praise the anatomy department.

Oh whoops, I'm sorry! I thought your response to my comment was sarcastic (the all caps on "ONLY" threw me off). I definitely agree. If I were to rank the schools without the DO in mind, TCOM would be in the middle of the pack for sure.

EDIT: @bigtruckguy3500 Are you a current medical student in Texas? If so, I would love to hear your ranking of the schools!

Oh whoops, I'm sorry! I thought your response to my comment was sarcastic (the all caps on "ONLY" threw me off). I definitely agree. If I were to rank the schools without the DO in mind, TCOM would be in the middle of the pack for sure.

EDIT: @bigtruckguy3500 Are you a current medical student in Texas? If so, I would love to hear your ranking of the schools!
I am. But it's really hard for me to rank all the schools because it depends a lot on the individual student. If you want to practice primary care, then TCOM, Lubbock, and A&M are probably really good places to go. If you want to practice something obscure and highly specialized, then being close to those specialties while in school is very advantageous - so places close to major medical centers (Houston, Dallas, El Paso, and to a certain extent S&W Temple) are where you'd want to be. As far as the quality of education, I have met students from most of the Texas schools, and probably around 2 dozen OOS schools, and I feel pretty confident in saying that on average I think we produce better docs than most OOS schools.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those concerned with the new school stigma of Foster in El Paso - on interview day they stated they had higher step 1 scores than UTSW this past year and it only took them 5 years to do so lolllll. Not saying they're better than UTSW, obviously, but quality of education shouldn't be a main concern here.

Reactions: 1 user
For those concerned with the new school stigma of Foster in El Paso - on interview day they stated they had higher step 1 scores than UTSW this past year and it only took them 5 years to do so lolllll. Not saying they're better than UTSW, obviously, but quality of education shouldn't be a main concern here.

I'm probably not the only one thinking this, but I find this to be highly questionable (higher Step scores than UTSW).

I'm probably not the only one thinking this, but I find this to be highly questionable (higher Step scores than UTSW).

I dont blame you lol. Have you interviewed there?? All I can say is that's what was said during interview day. Email admissions if you want proof!

I dont blame you lol. Have you interviewed there?? All I can say is that's what was said during interview day. Email admissions if you want proof!

Oh, I wasn't questioning you! I was just wondering if maybe they presented their scores in some way that is skewed because it seems highly unlikely that they could have a higher Step 1 average than UTSW.

Oh, I wasn't questioning you! I was just wondering if maybe they presented their scores in some way that is skewed because it seems highly unlikely that they could have a higher Step 1 average than UTSW.

Yea sorry I was genuinely asking if you had been and heard the same thing haha. I wouldn't blame anyone for questioning it though! At the same time...most people on this thread have also ranked TT Lubbock near the bottom of the list and they're ~132 this past year so I guess "bottom tier" schools aren't doing too bad?

Yea sorry I was genuinely asking if you had been and heard the same thing haha. I wouldn't blame anyone for questioning it though! At the same time...most people on this thread have also ranked TT Lubbock near the bottom of the list and they're ~132 this past year so I guess "bottom tier" schools aren't doing too bad?

I haven't interviewed there, so I hadn't heard what they told you. I think all the Texas schools are great though! Some aren't focused on research as much as others, but that doesn't stop them from producing excellent clinical physicians! :)

who knows. but utsw step scores arent extremely high though. could be possible, but i doubt it

who knows. but utsw step scores arent extremely high though. could be possible, but i doubt it
It's 236 for 2013 when the average was 228. I don't know if that's a big difference or not though.

Has anyone's ranking changes after interviewing at more schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would put UTSW above Baylor in the upcoming years. On a related note, the new Parkland hospital looks amazing.

Interview at Baylor in a couple weeks but it'll be hard to top the SW interview days I had a week ago. Other than that, I really liked UTHSCSA and UTMB. I really don't think you can go wrong with the Texas schools.

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone's ranking changes after interviewing at more schools?

I actually have Texas Tech Lubbock over UTMB, TAMHSC, Foster, and TCOM. I feel like I'm the only one who liked Texas Tech Lubbock haha, am I missing something?? (besides Lubbock not being the greatest....then again neither are Galveston, B/CS, or El Paso though)

I actually have Texas Tech Lubbock over UTMB, TAMHSC, Foster, and TCOM. I feel like I'm the only one who liked Texas Tech Lubbock haha, am I missing something?? (besides Lubbock not being the greatest....then again neither are Galveston, B/CS, or El Paso though)

I don't think you're missing anything! I think Lubbock gets ranked low mainly because of the location. It's a phenomenal program and I wouldn't question anyone ranking it over UTMB/A&M/Foster/TCOM at all!

Last edited:
I don't think you're missing anything! I think Lubbock gets ranked low mainly because of the location. It's a phenomenal program and I wouldn't question anyone ranking it over UTMB/A&M/Foster/TCOM at all!

Houston is also tough to rank... loved the school, HATE the schedule and constant hell weeks of tests. What's your opinion on it?

Houston is also tough to rank... loved the school, HATE the schedule and constant hell weeks of tests. What's your opinion on it?

My thoughts exactly. Great match list, location, and medical center though!

My thoughts exactly. Great match list, location, and medical center though!

Loved loved loved the school but their curriculum is awful. They don't take deferrals but I would try to finagle something.

Interview at Baylor in a couple weeks but it'll be hard to top the SW interview days I had a week ago. Other than that, I really liked UTHSCSA and UTMB. I really don't think you can go wrong with the Texas schools.
This. UTSW seriously swept me off my feet during their interview program, probably the top of my TX list now. We'll see how that stands after my BCM interview at the end of the month.

I haven't gotten SA or Houston yet though, which is starting to worry me.

This. UTSW seriously swept me off my feet during their interview program, probably the top of my TX list now. We'll see how that stands after my BCM interview at the end of the month.

I actually heard from UTSA and Houston after UTSW, so I wouldn't worry! If you have already interviewed at UTSW then you're in great shape!

Loved loved loved the school but their curriculum is awful. They don't take deferrals but I would try to finagle something.

They don't allow students to defer for a year? :( I haven't heard about this

They don't allow students to defer for a year? :( I haven't heard about this

It explicitly says it on the UT Houston website but I didn't ask how strict they were about it.

It explicitly says it on the UT Houston website but I didn't ask how strict they were about it.

Oh dang.. Do you know if other Texas schools in general are lenient on deferrals? I'm applying next cycle but due to certain circumstances I may have to request to defer for a year.

Interviewed at all the Texas schools I applied to, but never heard back from SA. They might screen for something that other Texas schools don't, who knows.

I wouldn't worry about Houston b/c they're going really slowly, but SA filled up really quickly. I have no clue why SA already filled up most of their interview spots. Maybe they think people who are complete late will make bad physicians?

Alright dirty dawgs, any new ranking lists or anybody's change after interviewing more places and being so close to pre match date?!

Well, I didn't apply to Baylor and I didn't get interviews at San Antonio, A&M, or El Paso. I interview at both UTMB and Houston in a week. So the only two interviews I've been on are UTSW and Lubbock. Can't really rank anything yet with only two schools, haha.

I will say that I was absolutely blown away by Southwestern. Their new curriculum, combined with the two BRAND NEW hospitals they're opening, really, really impressed me. Like I said, I didn't apply to Baylor, but I have trouble believing that they could impress me more than Southwestern.

Well, I didn't apply to Baylor and I didn't get interviews at San Antonio, A&M, or El Paso. I interview at both UTMB and Houston in a week. So the only two interviews I've been on are UTSW and Lubbock. Can't really rank anything yet with only two schools, haha.

I will say that I was absolutely blown away by Southwestern. Their new curriculum, combined with the two BRAND NEW hospitals they're opening, really, really impressed me. Like I said, I didn't apply to Baylor, but I have trouble believing that they could impress me more than Southwestern.

You still have a list that's 2 schools deep at the moment! Haha

I would still keep Baylor and UTSW at the top, but I really liked Texas A and M and I would rank that 3rd. They're switching over to a 1.5 year preclinical system and I don't like that UT Houston's new curriculum is pushed back a year, so it doesn't affect us at all.

I would still keep Baylor and UTSW at the top, but I really liked Texas A and M and I would rank that 3rd. They're switching over to a 1.5 year preclinical system and I don't like that UT Houston's new curriculum is pushed back a year, so it doesn't affect us at all.

My undergrad roommate is at Houston and although he seems to really like it, he also gets craaaazy stressed out during test weeks. Their system of having multiple tests over different topics during one week reminds me of the worst parts of undergrad and I don't relish the idea of having to deal with that again.

Not sure how I'm going to rank them yet since they're all great schools, but after interviewing at nearly all of them I would say (only bc there are 9 medical schools in TX and thus can be split 3/3/3) :

top tier: Baylor, UTSW, UTH
mid tier: UTMB, A&M, UTHSCSA
low tier: Tech Lubbock, Tech Foster, TCOM

Just my personal opinion after interviewing at most of them, but this tier list also generally follows US News "rankings" and amount of NIH funding given to each school also to those of you who care about that stuff. Obviously Baylor/UTSW are in a league of their own.

Last edited:
Not sure how I'm going to rank them yet since they're all great schools, but after interviewing at nearly all of them I would say (only bc there are 9 medical schools in TX and thus can be split 3/3/3) :

top tier: Baylor, UTSW, UTH
mid tier: UTMB, A&M, UTHSCSA
low tier: Tech Lubbock, Tech Foster, TCOM

Just my personal opinion after interviewing at all except TCOM, but this tier list also generally follows US News "rankings" and amount of NIH funding given to each school also to those of you who care about that stuff. Obviously Baylor/UTSW are in a league of their own.

With Baylor and UTSW far ahead, I'd agree with that list, even though they all produce excellent physicians and you can't really go wrong.

I'll preface my list by saying that there are so many factors involved in choosing a medical school, that they each offer a variety of different things, and that tiers are probably more appropriate, but I'll go ahead and make a ranking list, anyways:

1. Baylor
2. UT Southwestern
3. UTMB
4. UT Houston
5. UT San Antonio
6. Texas Tech - Lubbock
7. Texas A&M
8. Texas Tech - El Paso
9. TCOM

I don't go to TCOM, but there is no way it should be ranked last in Texas.

People discussed this before I think. The only reason people are putting TCOM last is that it is a DO program.

Right, but that's a BS reason. And that kind of thinking needs to go away. Some DO programs in other states, specifically the private ones, probably aren't the best quality schools. But TCOM is a very good school, and probably better than at least 3-4 other schools in Texas when it comes to the quality of the education and the resources available to students there.

@bigtruckguy3500

TCOM is an excellent school with great quality of education and plenty of resources available, I agree 100%, they produce excellent physicians. Coming from someone who may rank TCOM #1 due to proximity to family (loved the school too don't get me wrong), I also think people rank it last not just bc of being DO but:

1. TCOM's average USMLE Step 1 is 214 after having 184 students take it last year, so definitely a significant number. Next lowest USMLE score is 225 by UTHSCSA and 228 by A&M, the rest of the TX schools are 230+
2. Haven't seen TTEP's, but the rest of the TX schools matched into significantly more competitive residencies/locations. (at TCOM over 64% matched to primary care, next highest was UTHSCSA at 48% - could be good or bad depending on each student's goals.)
3. maybe the biggest reason: If you don't HAVE to take 2 sets of board exams, attend class (generally) 8-5 everyday, have an extra OMM class you may or may not use, and possibly deal with DO bias, most students won't.
4. Match data published by the NRMP shows just how favorable applying to residencies are as an MD, I won't say anything more but for everyone to look for themselves.

I would be very happy at TCOM, though I understand why not everyone would be.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Right, but that's a BS reason. And that kind of thinking needs to go away. Some DO programs in other states, specifically the private ones, probably aren't the best quality schools. But TCOM is a very good school, and probably better than at least 3-4 other schools in Texas when it comes to the quality of the education and the resources available to students there.
Can you be specific in which 3-4 schools TCOM is better than? I know TCOM is a great school, but I'm not buying that it's better than half the MD schools in TX.

Can you be specific in which 3-4 schools TCOM is better than? I know TCOM is a great school, but I'm not buying that it's better than half the MD schools in TX.
Based off what I know, and ignoring the stuff that doesn't matter to the majority of med students (like research) and focusing on resources available to students and what I know about the different curriculums/faculties, I'd put TCOM ahead of TT-Lubbock, A&M, borderline ahead of UTMB.

New Parkland looks like two staplers getting it on...and that is my contribution to the thread.

Parkland-Hospital-480x284.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
@bigtruckguy3500

TCOM is an excellent school with great quality of education and plenty of resources available, I agree 100%, they produce excellent physicians. Coming from someone who may rank TCOM #1 due to proximity to family (loved the school too don't get me wrong), I also think people rank it last not just bc of being DO but:

1. TCOM's average USMLE Step 1 is 214 after having 184 students take it last year, so definitely a significant number. Next lowest USMLE score is 225 by UTHSCSA and 228 by A&M, the rest of the TX schools are 230+
2. Haven't seen TTEP's, but the rest of the TX schools matched into significantly more competitive residencies/locations. (at TCOM over 64% matched to primary care, next highest was UTHSCSA at 48% - could be good or bad depending on each student's goals.)
3. maybe the biggest reason: If you don't HAVE to take 2 sets of board exams, attend class (generally) 8-5 everyday, have an extra OMM class you may or may not use, and possibly deal with DO bias, most students won't.
4. Match data published by the NRMP shows just how favorable applying to residencies are as an MD, I won't say anything more but for everyone to look for themselves.

I would be very happy at TCOM, though I understand why not everyone would be.

Where did you get the 214 USMLE avg.?

Interview day and US News and World Report, though this was data that TCOM released for 2013:

35d955_7ff652bc55ff4dfc8add4efda2fc8f38.jpg_512

Interesting. The difference probably comes from the students studying primarily for COMLEX which is styled a bit differently than USMLE. COMLEX scores are usually the highest of all DO schools from what I hear.