Rank Toggling

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Glycerin

Commercially Unavailable
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone else going (or went, in previous years) back and forth between how to rank certain programs? I'm coming up with an equal amount of positives and negatives for a few programs and second-guessing the top 3 or so of my rank order. :(

Anyway, this post is somewhat rhetorical. Just venting.

Members don't see this ad.

I changed my rank list at 11:50 EST the day of the deadline. It is ok to keep changing your mind...it is a tough decision, especially if you liked a good number of programs. Just have faith in the match and you will end up where you are suppose to be. If you need help, let me know.

Just don't forget to certify!!

Last edited:
Anyone else going (or went, in previous years) back and forth between how to rank certain programs? I'm coming up with an equal amount of positives and negatives for a few programs and second-guessing the top 3 or so of my rank order. :(

Anyway, this post is somewhat rhetorical. Just venting.

It took me at least a week to ponder on how to rank the programs I interviewed with. I finally put down my rank order and certified it a few days ago and felt pretty good about it. I just hope I won't completely change my mind and make it more complicated when march 6th comes.

Members don't see this ad :)
When logic fails, there are still several options:
- go with your gut instinct. That's what I have always done, about decisions that were absolutely life-changing (much more so than choice of a residency) and never had to regret it.
- if you really can't find any significant differences between them that could sway you one way or another, rank them in any random order, stop thinking about it, and rely on fate. I have done that too, on several occasions, and was never disappointed.
- try to go with tangential factors - which town you like more, which one you think could get you further on your dream career track, which cafeteria is better (never underestimate importance of cafeteria! especially since most US hopitals don't serve particularly good food) and make up your mind based on that.

yeah, I certainly considered who gives free parking and who does not, and who gives free food to the residents, and who does not. Yay for house staff privileges!!

One of the last minute reasons I ranked my program so high is because of the PGY-2 options here.

Also consider the size of the clinical staff because the more expert resources you have, the better. Desk space, computer access, CPOE and especially electronic charts may seem like things you can live without now... but, much like the food issue, you cannot imagine what a difference it makes.

my #1 wasn't hard. But I keep switching #2/3 back and forth. grrr.

Also consider the size of the clinical staff because the more expert resources you have, the better. Desk space, computer access, CPOE and especially electronic charts may seem like things you can live without now... but, much like the food issue, you cannot imagine what a difference it makes.

Would you take clinical staff that is abundant and extensively-trained (and most were trained at the particular residency), desk space, computer access, and evidence-based medicine practice over CPOE and electronic charts (which are coming in the future but progress has been slowed)?

Would you take clinical staff that is abundant and extensively-trained (and most were trained at the particular residency), desk space, computer access, and evidence-based medicine practice over CPOE and electronic charts (which are coming in the future but progress has been slowed)?

I would figure in annual rainfall and the # of sunny days into the consideration. :smuggrin:

Desk space and your own computer are necessary as a resident! Staff that stays at the site upon completion of the program is a good sign. CPOE I can take or leave...I've worked with both types of systems and both have good/bad.

Desk space and your own computer are necessary as a resident! Staff that stays at the site upon completion of the program is a good sign. CPOE I can take or leave...I've worked with both types of systems and both have good/bad.

I thought you were doing cartfills.

Good luck with the match everyone.

Don't forget to certify!

You should've received an e-mail saying your list was certified.

i certified it a while back, but with the deadline so close these past few days, the anxiety must be building up! Keep thinking of ways things can go wrong, lol.