Rank your In-State Medical Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Think wright state should be on this list somewhere. :)
victim of the copy paste... thanks above poster >.<

Members don't see this ad.

For my state schools only: Stony Brook > Downstate > Upstate > Buffalo

Yeah, NJMS and RWJ are both above Cooper - I don't know how you hate the area around RWJ, it is a great college town.
NJ schools have been restructured and renamed so much since I graduated med school that I barely know which is which anymore

Reactions: 1 users
NJ schools have been restructured and renamed so much since I graduated med school that I barely know which is which anymore

Previously RWJ and NJMS used to be under the University of Medicine an Dentistry (UMDNJ). However, Rutgers consolidated them both, so now they are still NJMS and RWJ, just underneath Rutgers University.

Cooper is under Rowan University.

Yeah it can get confusing. My friends from NJ say that it is just easier to say their true names (RWJ and NJMS), and forget about the overhead label.

Members don't see this ad :)
New Jersey:

1. New Jersey Medical School
2. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
3. Robert Wood Johnson Medical School

Realistically, RWJ should probably be #2 or even #1, but I absolutely hate the area it is in and would much prefer to go to NJMD or CMS.

You like Newark over New Brunswick? This is a first. My ranking after finishing 3 years at NJMS:

1. New Jersey Medical School
2. Robert Wood Johnson Medical School
3. Cooper Medical School of Rowan University

Both NJMS and RWJMS are Rutgers schools and are pretty neck-to-neck overall. RWJ is in a nicer college town area and--I gues--is more well-known to outside of the state. NJMS is more of an inner city school and it's teaching hospital, University Hospital, is home to a lot of crazy pathology given that a.) lots of socioeconomically disadvantaged people so you see diseases go beyond the usual and b.) it's close to Newark Liberty International Airport, so they see all sorts of diseases from all over the world (including a fair share of "rule out Ebola").

Comparing student bodies, NJMS has larger proportion of male students, and I believe the opposite is true for RWJ. Applicant stats-wise, GPAs are about the same, but NJMS has a ~1 point edge on the average MCAT.

Last edited:
1. NYU/Columbia/Cornell/Mt. Sinai

2. University of Rochester

3. Albert Einstein

4. Hofstra/Stony Brook/Downstate

5. Upstate/NYMC/Albany/Buffalo

6. Touro NY

7. NYIT-COM

You like Newark over New Brunswick? This is a first.

NJMS is more of an inner city school and it's teaching hospital, University Hospital, is home to a lot of crazy pathology given that a.) lots of socioeconomically disadvantaged people so you see diseases go beyond the usual and b.) it's Newark Liberty International Airport, so they see all sorts of diseases from all over the world (including a fair share of "rule out Ebola").

I understand Newark is a rough area and all, but you went on to describe exactly why I would much rather go there for med school.

Reactions: 1 user
Washington state... Kind of a no brainer...
1) university of Washington
2) Pacific Northwest DO school

Virginia:
UVA
VCU
EVMS

Also, would anyone that is familiar with FL schools besides Miami and Florida (USF, central, international, and Atlantic) be willing to PM me some general info about your general thoughts of them? Have scoped the MSAR but didnt get too insight about the schools themselves besides the strict data presented. Would love to hear some general opinions about them! Thanks in advance.

Utah:

UofU

I would kill to be from a state with more than one school. . . 500-600 in state applicants for 100 spots. Not good odds.

Reactions: 3 users
:ninja:
1. UCSF
2. UCLA & Stanford
3. UCSD & USC
4. UCD & UCI
5. UCR
6. Loma Linda
7. Western & Touro
:ninja:

Reactions: 2 users
Pretty easy one here.

Oklahoma
1. OU
2. OSU (D.O.)

Members don't see this ad :)
1. University of Virginia
2. Virginia Tech
3. VCU
4. EVMS
5. VCOM

Arizona:
1) UA-Tucson
2) UA-Phoenix
3) AZCOM
4) ATSU SOMA

I think there's plans for mayo clinic to have a campus or here soon too. But I don't know where I'd rank that one

I don't understand some people's lists for the Michigan school rankings, especially since some of them are barely established:

1. University of Michigan Medical School
2. Wayne State School of Medicine
3. MSU-CHM
4. OU William Beaumont
5. MSU-COM
6. CMU college of medicine
7. WMU Stryker

I saw MSUCOM at the bottom of some people's lists. It's definitely more established than the 2 new MD schools. You can't even tell about the education at WMU...they just started and CMU hasn't even graduated its first class. MSU-COM definitely deserves more credit and shouldn't be put at the bottom just because it's DO. Also consider how DO friendly Michigan is, too.

Despite MSUCOM being a good school, you still graduate being at the mercy of the various osteopathic bodies. WMU inherited clinical sites that were already up and running as training centers. CMU much less so.

Despite MSUCOM being a good school, you still graduate being at the mercy of the various osteopathic bodies. WMU inherited clinical sites that were already up and running as training centers. CMU much less so.
MSU has a great match list. Their DO/PhD program and research opportunities are superior at this point to WMU. It has success similar to TCOM.

Why? Because of the lower MCAT and mission of FSU? FIU and FAU are still newer schools so that was my reasoning, although I realize both are still really good schools.

Yeah, I don't really understand the FSU hate or the UCF love. Some people rank UCF above USF but UCF is a new school without much brand-name recognition. For me personally, UM & UF are top with USF in 3rd place. The rest is purely subjective, though out of all the new schools in FL, UCF has become a favorite for SDN.

Reactions: 2 users
MN is pretty easy:

Mayo
U of Minnesota
UMD

My college state, Maine, is also quite easy:

Why does everyone put Stanford below UCSF??

Possibly due to Stanford's location in Palo Alto (perhaps less case diversity for clinical training) as opposed to UCSF being located in the middle of a major city.

Florida Resident
1.UM
2.USF
3.FIU
4.UCF
5.FSU
6.UF
7.FAU
8.Nova
9.LECOM

Florida Resident
1.UM
2.USF
3.FIU
4.UCF
5.FSU
6.UF
7.FAU
8.Nova
9.LECOM

Lol somebody doesn't like the Gators...

Edit: My FL ranking would be
1. UM
1b. UF
3. USF
4. UCF
5. FAU
6. FIU
7. FSU
8/8b. Nova and LECOM

Reactions: 6 users
If you ask me a week from now, I'll probably switch the ranking and put Stanford at the top.
Possibly due to Stanford's location in Palo Alto (perhaps less case diversity for clinical training) as opposed to UCSF being located in the middle of a major city.
I think the SCVMC (a Stanford affiliate) is the 2nd largest county hospital in California. Stanford students also rotate at a VA hospital and at a top notch children's hospital. In addition, the main Stanford hospital gets a lot of referrals so I'm sure the overall caseload is pretty diverse.

Somewhat ranking related for me, since I'm leaning towards primary care. (Even if for the most part, rankings are bogus...) Plus from the style of living standpoint, I would rather be in SF than somewhere in the Palo Alto area.

But let's be real here, if you get to choose between these two schools, there is no bad choice in terms of academics. It's all about fit.

Journalists should learn from us how to get pageviews: ask premeds to rank something, anything. Shoes, clothing, movies, video games, but especially schools they've never visited or spent any time at. Boom. Done. It's like leaving cheese out for mice; they always bite stupidly.

I chuckled, but I don't think its that ludicrous considering the people are ranking their own state's schools which they have already or will put money/time/thought in applying to. Also, it should be understood that these rankings are based on each person's set criteria rather than as comprehensive research or "power-rankings".

Also, it should be understood that these rankings are based on each person's set criteria rather than as comprehensive research or "power-rankings".
Hence, they're even more useless to everyone else.

Hence, they're even more useless to everyone else.

This is partly why I said lets "play", as opposed to let's analyze/discuss/work.

Also, I still disagreed. If a person does put a reason and supports it with data or acknowledges their bias/influences, it could actually be helpful. This is again because the people responding will highly likely have either applied or will apply to their state school so they're giving experiential advice which I think could be useful.

Alas, most people don't give a well-supported reason...but that's like 95% of SDN anyways, so I think I'm good.

Also, I still disagreed. If a person does put a reason and supports it with data or acknowledges their bias/influences, it could actually be helpful. This is again because the people responding will highly likely have either applied or will apply to their state school so they're giving experiential advice which I think could be useful.
Right, but they don't. This is just a place for premeds to jerk off and see meaningless rankings that makes them feel good about where they're applying.

Having been at the farm for 5 years...it's pretty boring, especially if you are a grad/medical student. They are pretty close though and I think most would rank UCSF and Stanford as being the best options in CA.

For Illinois, my ranking of which I would attend first is:

1. Northwestern
2. Rush
3. UIC
4. University of Chicago
5. Loyola
6. Rosalind Franklin
7. Southern Illinois

I know U of C is a good school but the students there have a reputation as being very unhappy.

*I read your above post. I guess I would consider Lerner a separate school - if only for the fact that it has it's own thread apart from Case in the Allo School Discussions.

I go to Case and I've always considered Lerner a separate school, too. I was surprised when I found out that Case and Lerner use the same application!

1-UM (more clinical diversity).
1-UF
3-USF
4-UCF
5- UM MD/MPH
5-FAU
5-FIU
7-FSU (rural clinical sites)

I know U of C is a good school but the students there have a reputation as being very unhappy.
I think you're conflating the med school with the undergrad. It's my understanding that their cultures are vastly different.

Reactions: 3 users
1) the one I got into
2) all other medical schools in NY

Reactions: 4 users
GA after look at match lists:

Emory
GRUCHS - MCG
Mercer ~ Morehouse ~ PCOM - GA <-- descending order, but fairly close, imo.

Agreed here, at least for how residents would perceive it. Emory is an easy top choice, with MCG taking the second spot.. Mercer, Morehouse, and PCOM are a bit harder to rank because their missions are different.

North Dakota:

1. University of North Dakota School of medicine and health sciences.

image.gif

image.gif

Reactions: 8 users
My ranking is based on what school I would attend first (at the current time) if I was hypothetically accepted to all of them (barring tuition as a factor).

State: MI

1. University of Michigan
2. Wayne State University SOM
3. Oakland University WB SOM
4. MSU CHM
5. MSU COM
6. WMUSM
7. CMU-MD

+1

For Illinois, my ranking of which I would attend first is:

1. Northwestern
2. Rush
3. UIC
4. University of Chicago
5. Loyola
6. Rosalind Franklin
7. Southern Illinois

I am a fellow Illinoisian and my list is the same as yours. However, I think I would attend SIU over Rosalind Franklin just because the tuition is quite a bit cheaper.

CA-

1. Stanford
2. UCLA
3. UCSF
4. UCSD
5. USC
6. UCD
7. UCR
8. DO school(s)
999. Loma Linda

Sent from my XT1063 using SDN mobile app

Last edited:
I am a fellow Illinoisian and my list is the same as yours. However, I think I would attend SIU over Rosalind Franklin just because the tuition is quite a bit cheaper.

Haha my ranking has changed so much during the cycle. I would def attend UIC over Rush and Loyola would be dead last.

Haha my ranking has changed so much during the cycle. I would def attend UIC over Rush and Loyola would be dead last.

May I ask what about Loyola you didn't like?

NY:
1) I consider all Manhattan programs to be the same at the medical student level.
2) Einstein
3)Rochester (With a big step between Einstein and Rochester)
4) All the SUNYs except Downstate (Maybe stony brook at the top)
5) Albany
6) NYMC
7) NYCOM
8) Touro Manhattan
9) Hofstra
10) Any Caribbean school
11) Nursing or PA School
12) Downstate (Did not like interviewing there)

Last edited:
This should be easy

1. Harvard
2-3. BU
2-4. Tufts
3-4. Umass

I think Tufts could be anywhere from 2-4 depending on who you ask.

My preference

1. Harvard
2. UMass/Tufts
3. BU