Ranking OBGYN residency Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OBGYNRES

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I could find a complete rank list of OBGYN residency programs in terms of research etc?
Alternatively you can all help me with my rank list! I am happy with the following programs in terms of location so I could see myself living at all but I want to know purely in terms of program reputation and ranking.
UVA
Cornell (prelim)
University of Miami
University of South Florida
Tufts
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
SUNY Stonybrook
Georgetown
Thanks for your help and advice and happy valentines day!!:love::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where I could find a complete rank list of OBGYN residency programs in terms of research etc?
Alternatively you can all help me with my rank list! I am happy with the following programs in terms of location so I could see myself living at all but I want to know purely in terms of program reputation and ranking.
UVA
Cornell (prelim)
University of Miami
University of South Florida
Tufts
Dartmouth-Hitchcock
SUNY Stonybrook
Georgetown
Thanks for your help and advice and happy valentines day!!:love::smuggrin::smuggrin:

Depends on what you're interested in doing post residency such as fellowship vs generalist in a private setting. In addition, where are you looking to settle down? The programs you have listed above have strengths and weaknesses but are otherwise decent.

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends on what you're interested in doing post residency such as fellowship vs generalist in a private setting. In addition, where are you looking to settle down? The programs you have listed above have strengths and weaknesses but are otherwise decent.
I am strongly thinking about REI. The main issue is that I didn't get many interviews from places offering REI fellowships. I am academic and enjoy teaching and research so I hope to continue these wherever I go.
With regards to settling down, I am not a huge fan of Manhattan long term but I could do Boston or Florida for sure! I was pleasantly surprised by Charlottesville VA too.
I guess I would like a strong academic program to maximise chances of fellowship...

Sorry, I don't know anything about the programs you're interested in. Maybe you can look at the programs based on what percentage went into fellowship in recent years and specifically if they're able to match people into REI. You can also maybe look at what the exposure to REI is like in terms of when they have an REI rotation (like if its just 4th year it might not be as helpful for you), if they have an elective block were u do more REI work or research, how many full time faculty members they have in REI, and if residents are publishing or doing research projects in REI.

I'm also really interested in what people thought of UVA and Dartmouth--anyone have any thoughts on those places? OB doesn't seem to have one of those "help me with my rank list" threads like some other specialties do.

I am strongly thinking about REI. The main issue is that I didn't get many interviews from places offering REI fellowships. I am academic and enjoy teaching and research so I hope to continue these wherever I go.
With regards to settling down, I am not a huge fan of Manhattan long term but I could do Boston or Florida for sure! I was pleasantly surprised by Charlottesville VA too.
I guess I would like a strong academic program to maximise chances of fellowship...

If you are seriously considering REI then your top programs should be places that have REI fellowships. If you don't have any on your list that meet this criteria, then academic programs that are known to send people to REI fellowships. You will have to talk with the individual programs regarding this.

As far as your list, I am mainly familiar with USF in Tampa. Overall seemed like a very nice program. I think Spellacy is still there, old MFM guy. Not sure what their program depatment chair situation is like. When I interviewed it was a bit in flux. Location was good.

I remember from interview day that interns just do vaginal deliveries and C/Ds are reserved for second years which I am ambivalent about. They have an Onc and Urogyn fellowship. Not sure about MFM. They did have decent research support so potentially doing REI from there should be a reasonable shot.

It is annoying we don't have that thread.
For what it's worth, I found UVA to be incredibly friendly and supportive and the residents are very happy there. They match to surprisingly strong fellowships so overall it seemed like a strong middle tier program.
For me Dartmouth faculty were very friendly but the residents didn't seem as happy, I think owing to the lack of social activities available in the area. Reindollar is a big deal in the REI world and PD so that's what's making me just "take the hit socially" and do the time in order to get a string fellowship.
Tufts I found a good mix, residents were happy, some strong faculty and Boston is decent. Residents match to strong fellowships too!
It would be good if a few more could chime in with their 2 cents!

Do you happen to remember what the mix of married vs. single residents was at those places? Also, of the married folks how many have kids? Thanks for your thoughts--they match up similar to mine.

I guess it depends on which category you fall into. The best mix was probably UVA. I'm single and I had great fun partying with them. Dartmouth seemed like a nice family place too but you would want to enjoy your skiing! Tufts were mostly single, more intense crew I thought!

For what it's worth, Cornell has a very respected IVF program and fellowship program.

When choosing a residency program you have to balance the overall features of that program in addition to what specific advantages it would give to a future REI fellowship applicant.

Are you 100% you want to go into REI, or only 50% sure?

I was basically told presence of a fellowship is really +/- -- mostly matters what sort of hookups faculty have with the field. Are the faculty well-respected? Do they publish and present at conferences? If not, probably reconsider. Obvious benefits of lack of fellowship would be greater involvement in cases, perhaps more attention (vs faculty attention being diverted to the fellow), etc.

I have a slightly different question. I'm asking for my GF who is applying right now for OB/GYN. She thinks she wants to do a GYN ONC fellowship and she got an interview at DMC/Wayne State but she really does not want to live in Detroit. She got an interview at Drexel in Philly but they don't have GYN ONC fellowship but she finds Philly more palatable. My question is this...all other things being equal, how much of an advantage would one have going to DMC over Drexel? She's trying to figure out which to rank higher. Also, would it be virtually impossible to get GYN ONC from Drexel? Looking through the materials it looks like they have placed no one in it since at least 2008. How important are CREOGS compared to where you did residency? If you really had your heart set on this fellowship, which would you choose? Any advantages/ Disadvantages of each?

I'm 100% sure. My issue with Cornell is that I got a call offering a prelim which basically puts my out of the categorical spot. A prelim is a gamble.
Tufts have faculty who work at brown infertility and dartmouth head of program knows everyone. Just last year UVA matched a girl to REI at UVA. So it seems possible...

I'm 100% sure. My issue with Cornell is that I got a call offering a prelim which basically puts my out of the categorical spot. A prelim is a gamble.
Tufts have faculty who work at brown infertility and dartmouth head of program knows everyone. Just last year UVA matched a girl to REI at UVA. So it seems possible...

You would be correct in realizing that many random factors can come into play.

My story is an example. My mentor started helping me during med school at UC-Irvine. He is world-renown in Gyn-Onc (author of classic major Onc textbook) and helped me get into OB residency, also at UCI. During 3rd year, I had a drastic change of heart and wanted to do RE over Onc. Approached him with my situation. He gave me his full support, told me he would recommend me generically no matter where I wanted to go, but had especially good connections at two local programs. I chose the one I preferred (UCLA) and the rest is history.

How much did his help have to do with my fellowship? Nobody will ever know for sure, but while I had a good reputation and good CREOG scores, I had no research in RE at all. Also, it became evident during Fellowship that the program director highly respected my Gyn-Onc mentor professionally and praised him often. Of note, 3 of the residents in my class back then matched into REI, 1 into Onc. The others chose private practice.

Also, you might be interested to know, as an attending currently at UCI, (and we do not have a Fellowship program at present), I know that at least 3 of our residents have matched into REI (Stanford, USC, UCLA) in the past 5 years or so.

Bottom line: What program you go to and with which mentors you bond likely makes a difference. However, it is not that black-and-white predictable. It is one thing to take into account in residency selection but not the only thing. I realize this is nothing new for you to hear. Good luck!