Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

1. If you prefer the SDN Blue style, go to the bottom left of the page and select "SDN Blue"

Ranking of advanced and categorical

Discussion in 'Neurology' started by daptomycin, 12.18.11.

1. daptomycin

daptomycin

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    So here is a scenario I can imagine coming up for me personally (and I'm sure many others):

I like program A a lot but it is only advanced
    I like program B just a tiny bit less but it is completely categorical

For me, doing the preliminary year at the same institution is very important, where if I did not match at program A for prelim medicine, I would rather match at program B.

As I understand the ranking system, it seems I would have to choose one or the other.

Is there any way to input something like this into the ranking system:

1. Program A with prelim at IM program A
    2. Program B categorical
    3. Program A with prelim at IM program x, y, z, etc.

I can't imagine I am the only one in this situation. Anyone know what the deal on this is?
  2. maddog2020

maddog2020

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is the annual question. Unfortunately, the match is not very flexible on this.

If you rank the advanced program first, you will match there even if you don't match to a preliminary medicine program on your attached list. Every year, some applicants match to advanced neurology but have to scramble for a PGY1 year. It would be nice if the match moved down to the next program on your list rather than leave you unmatched for PGY1 but it doesn't. Another reason why the categorical program (or advanced program with guaranteed PGY1 match) is preferable.
    Good luck
  3. daptomycin

daptomycin

Medical Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Any thoughts on what a "safe" number of prelims to have is, generally speaking. It appears that these prelim slots are getting more and more competitive.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal