RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can someone please make a "**** Vet Students Say?"... if there already is one, can you please post the link :)

It's not exactly Vet Students, but it sort of works, right? ;)

[YOUTUBE]mn360trGChY[/YOUTUBE]

Poopsicle, anyone?

When I was little we had a litter of lab puppies and one of them died a few days later (the mom suffocated her :().... my dad put it in the freezer so it wouldn't get stinky and called it a pupsicle.... your post reminded me of it. And yes, I thought it was terrible too lol, but don't judge my dad, he is a very simple man. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not exactly Vet Students, but it sort of works, right? ;)

[YOUTUBE]mn360trGChY[/YOUTUBE]

This is great. I now have 16 eyes on me because I started laughing randomly outloud in the airport bar on my way home from my interview :laugh:

while this picture should count as a rave because it made me laugh so hard, i have to rant because our dog ATE her poop AGAIN!!! It's so gross, and she comes back inside chomping her mouth and licking like it's the most delicious thing in the world and then tries to come snuggle with you with her poop breath aaahh! While that face might look adorable (see avatar), she wont stop eating poop!!!!! and then I found this picture and it is literally just how she acts after she does the poop eating deed, so that at least made me laugh.

http://9gag.com/gag/2312416
Trivial rant. but had to share.

sent this to my mother, her 5mo collie puppy thinks she's a vacuum cleaner designed to eat anything and everything her mouth comes across. including this lovely new hobby :laugh:

Sick...
no invites
seatbelt ticket, $170
no invites
alone at job doing work of two
other people getting invites
Mom is in ER for gall bladder surgery
no invites
Mom has no insurance, it's costing $30,000
ugh
boyfriend is working overnight again, 3 nights in a row
no invites

And my mom is fine. Similar to her unnecessary appendectomy in 2004, her gall bladder was normal when inspected at removal. Love her, want her healthy, wish I could be there but she's 1,500 miles away. *Sigh* she should have been carrying insurance. *headdesk*

When I was little we had a litter of lab puppies and one of them died a few days later (the mom suffocated her :().... my dad put it in the freezer so it wouldn't get stinky and called it a pupsicle.... your post reminded me of it. And yes, I thought it was terrible too lol, but don't judge my dad, he is a very simple man. :oops:

pretty much anything with -sicle at the end has to be funny. or -saurus. My favorite:
stinkasaurus :D

Sick...
no invites
seatbelt ticket, $170
no invites
alone at job doing work of two
other people getting invites
Mom is in ER for gall bladder surgery
no invites
Mom has no insurance, it's costing $30,000
ugh
boyfriend is working overnight again, 3 nights in a row
no invites

And my mom is fine. Similar to her unnecessary appendectomy in 2004, her gall bladder was normal when inspected at removal. Love her, want her healthy, wish I could be there but she's 1,500 miles away. *Sigh* she should have been carrying insurance. *headdesk*

Oy, FTB. No fun. It's a stressful time for you, no doubt. We're here for you. Focus on the good.

Yeah the poop thing is absolutely disgusting. The senior pup I adopted this past summer started doing it...but only cat poop...and only the little piles the outdoor cats bury under pine needles...and only at night when she thinks I can't see her. It is soooooooo gross.

Another superficial rant:

It is now day 7 of the transit strike.
The most important thing on the agenda lately has been whether cars should be allowed to park at bus stops and bike lanes (meanwhile, some people are walking/biking 30 minutes - 3 hours to get to work/school, some have dropped out of school, and people who need the food bank cannot get to it). Did I mention it is the DEAD OF WINTER here?
According to the news, the water commission, news reporters, one university's faculty and taxi companies are at risk for a strike.
WTF CITY?!

Because of this WTFery, I get to spend the weekends at my parent's place (at least I am within walking distance of everything), I only get to see my friends on random chance encounters, and I get the joy of sitting longer in rush hour traffic than I used to on the bus (because more cars are on the road). Oh yeah, I haven't been to the vet clinic in two weeks to volunteer. I was going to throw $15 at my roommate and tell him to take me tomorrow, but he is going away for the weekend.

:(

I just want the buses back...

Yeah the poop thing is absolutely disgusting. The senior pup I adopted this past summer started doing it...but only cat poop...and only the little piles the outdoor cats bury under pine needles...and only at night when she thinks I can't see her. It is soooooooo gross.
Ahh! Our dog also has a fetish for cat poop. There is now a baby gate to block her access to the litter box or else she would sneak in for a tasty treat.. So gross. I am definitely going to have to look into the anise trick or the Forbid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ahh! Our dog also has a fetish for cat poop. There is now a baby gate to block her access to the litter box or else she would sneak in for a tasty treat.. So gross. I am definitely going to have to look into the anise trick or the Forbid.

My wife and I got a top-entry litterbox for our cat and it works really well to keep our pup out of the kitty-roca.

http://www.petco.com/product/14467/Clevercat-Top-Entry-Litterbox.aspx

Good luck with the taste deterrents!

The anise seed and deterrent pills will obviously only work if the dog eats her own poop. I guess JMJ's fancy litter box is the only way to keep them out of the cat poop. I keep the cat's litter box in the basement (where the dogs don't go because they're afraid of the cellar stairs with no backs on them).

BKT-- I am so sorry to hear about your dad. ::hug::

On another note....

My dogs think squirrel poop is a delicacy. DISGUSTING. Especially the poop breath kisses they try to give!

Also -- thanks for the videos. Laughing inappropriately at work and everyone is looking at me.

Mine is a bit different- it lifts from the top, not the side, but is equally as amazing :D
Best. Gift. Ever.

I take back every nice thing I've ever said about martial arts. It is an evil pastime for crazy people which will eventually get you kicked in the face. :bang: And yet my insanity continues . . .

I have absolutely zero motivation to do anything academic. I don't need the classes I'm taking in order to start vet school in the fall, and they're not as interesting as I thought they'd be when I registered.

I have lots of motivation to look for apartments, clean my house, cook, and screw around on SDN, though. None of those things will help me pass my exam tomorrow morning, and neither will going to husband's late-night hockey game and our traditional late-night diner visit afterwards.

But seriously, we can't skip the diner. You can get awesome pancakes AND a beer there. I'll forego test studying for pancakes and beer.

But seriously, we can't skip the diner. You can get awesome pancakes AND a beer there. I'll forego test studying for pancakes and beer.

Wow. This just might be the best idea ever. Second to my awesome litter box of course.

I routinely have pancakes for dinner. But beer AND pancakes?? that's brilliant.

:thumbup::thumbup: I'm now lamenting that I didn't see this prior to making dinner. Almost had pancakes; but went w/ a bagel instead. Oh well. There's always tomorrow...

I don't know where to post this. I am broken.
My dog was hit by a car and died today after she took off after some deer. My sweet, beautiful, protective, lovable hug-in-canine-form girl is gone. She was in New York, and I am in Maryland, and I don't know how to handle this...
And my poor mom, oh god. She watched her die... I don't even know how to comfort her...

My dog was hit by a car and died today after she took off after some deer. My sweet, beautiful, protective, lovable hug-in-canine-form girl is gone. She was in New York, and I am in Maryland, and I don't know how to handle this...
And my poor mom, oh god. She watched her die... I don't even know how to comfort her...

OMG zoovet I am soo soo sorry... Is this your BRT? Take a deep breath...

I'm so sorry to hear about your girl! It's never easy losing a pet, especially when it's so sudden. Know that we're all thinking of you.

yeah, my BRT
ugh she was the most incredible dog. she was goofy and kooky and puppy-like even though she was 5 but was still super well-behaved, even with my 3-year old niece
she converted many dog-haters/dog-fearers into at least... dog-tolerators, if not dog-lovers. i don't think i'm making sense. aohgeiouahgioaehgioaehgioaehg
i can't stop crying.

what's even worse is that i spent a lot of the day actually looking at pictures of her to find a good one for a new avatar.. so she was fresh on my mind when i got the call...

and thank you everyone
i really appreciate the ...being there

Last edited:
It must be such a shock! I am so sorry that you are going through this. What a horrible day for you. It's so hard. My sympathies.

she is so SO cute and sweet... she reminds me a lot of my big black newfie. We are both sending hugs and comfort your way... ugh, I'm just so sorry :(

Rant/Rave? There's this pomeranian at the vet hospital I shadow at that really needs a home. Usually I'm not a small dog person, but she just feels like my dog! Unfortunately, my dad has asthma and is allergic to most things with fur (though he doesn't have a problem with our cat). Now this pom is half the size of our cat so I don't see why it's not worth trying... Not being able to breathe is a legitimate excuse not to have a dog, but I feel like a trial run can't hurt.
So rant: I really don't think it's going to happen, but I'm going to ask one more time!
Might be rave: If he says yes and I have the potential to have this little beastie!

I'm so sorry zoovet, my heart goes out to you. losing a pet is one of the most difficult times, especially given the circumstances. Hang in there :(

Zoovet ::hugs:: I am so sorry to hear about your girl. My pack and I are sending lots of positive thoughts and energy your way.

I am so sorry to hear this. It is my biggest fear now that we have moved to a new house. In my old neighborhood we lived in a cul-de-sac and my dog would just kind of hang around when I let her out, and she grew up being used to walking on the road (no traffic). We recently moved to a house that sits right on a 55mph road and I worry about her SO much. Deer and turkeys are a big problem here as well. I can't let her run free anymore :( because it's my biggest fear to see what your poor mom had to witness.:( It would break me apart. I hope all of your wonderful memories of her can help ease the sadness you are going through. Losing a pet is insanely tough, and please know that we are all here for you. You have a doggy angel now :love:

thanks everyone.
it definitely helps to think that she died doing something she loved to do. i know she knew she was loved, too. and i'm glad i got to see her last weekend when i stopped home in new york after my tufts interview. i took her for a really long walk and a crazy long run/chase in the backyard. and yes, emiloo, definitely be careful. my brother has a huge farm in upstate new york that was like the "weekend house," and she basically grew up there, running around free on a huge piece of land that was all her own... my brother's new house is in a new york suburb and she died on a street in the neighborhood, but i suspect it's because she didn't understand 'boundaries' because she had grown used to ...not having them
i just can't get the image out of my head of her, post-play, rolling around on the grass. it was like her happy dance to signal that she had played enough. she was just so amazing and it's going to be so painful to go home now, especially because this weekend is my niece's third birthday and i have to be all happy around her...
and i have to do a long experiment today at work and i can't go more than 15 minutes without crying...

So sorry to hear your news, Zoovet. I'm glad that you at least have a happy image to remember.

I made dark chocolate brownies after dinner tonight. Put them in the oven and went to take a shower. Came out into the kitchen and there was smoke everywhere. Look in the oven and the brownies are toast. Looked at the directions...425 deg does not equal 325 deg. So, I tried to pitch them into the garbage and wound up getting them all over the floor. Being the lazy person I am, I tried to vacuum it up. Nope, just made a bigger mess. Got the swiffer out...nope, just made chocolate smears all over the floor. SERIOUSLY, ALL I WANTED WAS A BROWNIE. :cry:

I also have this irrational fear that I will not pass my eukaryotic cell bio class and therefore not be able to start vet school in the fall. My first exam is on Tuesday:scared:..

Oh, zoovet, I am so so so very sorry to hear your news. My heart goes out to you and your family - especially your mom. I wish there were something to say or something to do for comfort; but I fear there is not. I can only hope that as time goes by the pain will diminish ever so slowly until only happy images remain. :cry:

And, psilt - I'm really to hear that you've had such a crap evening. However, I have to giggle because this is why I don't cook. I've had years of experience (and taken down one too many smoke detectors) to teach me that things like brownies are better off purchased. So, go get yourself a box and end those worries about that exam - I'm sure you'll do great!

Last edited:
I made dark chocolate brownies after dinner tonight. Put them in the oven and went to take a shower. Came out into the kitchen and there was smoke everywhere. Look in the oven and the brownies are toast. Looked at the directions...425 deg does not equal 325 deg. So, I tried to pitch them into the garbage and wound up getting them all over the floor. Being the lazy person I am, I tried to vacuum it up. Nope, just made a bigger mess. Got the swiffer out...nope, just made chocolate smears all over the floor. SERIOUSLY, ALL I WANTED WAS A BROWNIE. :cry:

oh no!!! :(

a few years ago, i made heart shaped cookies (cut out by hand, w/o a cutter) for my grandmother who was coming home from the hospital after having a pacemaker placed. i rolled the dough, cut them out, and then turned on the oven. i decided a quick dog walk was in order while i waited for the oven to heat up. i was mostly home when my younger brother (had to have been 12 or 13?) comes flying out the door in a towel. turns out, i forgot that my grandmother uses her oven as a pantry. so i had managed to burn and melt every item in the oven and smoke up the house-which he noticed mid shower. oops. amazingly enough, the oven was salvageable-we thought for sure the plastic meltiness was going to require just flat out replacing. its the thought that counted?:laugh:

Psi, I did the same thing yesterday but with heating milk to make yogurt. All I had to do was leave it in the crockpot on low for 2.5 hours. Then I took a 3.5 hour nap (it was one of those days). Nothing like the smell of burnt milk. :barf:

Okay, TT, in my defense, I bake all the time and everything [usually] turns out amazing! Don't know what happened tonight....I made another batch that turned out great. No brownies for you..

jmo, I'm sorry that happened. That's odd that your grandmother uses the oven as a pantry. I would never have thought twice about turning on the oven.

jmj- you make yogurt? That's awesome! How do you do it?