RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm so sorry for your loss, zoovet. She sounds like a wonderful dog. I hope your happy memories of her will help you move on from this tragedy.

Thanks everyone for your condolences in the loss of my grandfather. The memorial today was beautiful. Bisbee said it perfectly: grandparents are special.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm so sorry for your loss, zoovet. She sounds like a wonderful dog. I hope your happy memories of her will help you move on from this tragedy.

Thanks everyone for your condolences in the loss of my grandfather. The memorial today was beautiful. Bisbee said it perfectly: grandparents are special.
So sorry Zoovet. I cannot imagine how difficult this must be for you. You and your sweet pup are in my thoughts.

I'm glad the memorial went well CFC. Congrats on your UC Davis interview. Your family must be so proud.

I had to deal with multiple bad situations today, but the penultimate one makes me want to find another job tomorrow. I am a primary provider for a male dog with a hernia. I suggested to the owner that we should repair it when he comes in for his castration. This dog came in for an ear problem and saw a different doctor. That doctor told her that he would not need it repaired at all. When she told this new doctor that I (and the other doctor that has seen her dog) had both recommended it, the new doctor told her "I am the senior vet." The owner explained to us on the phone today that she took that to mean that as the senior vet, she should be trusted over me.

This new doctor has a lot of experience but is new to our hospital. Regardless, it is unprofessional to act this way. She also did not discuss this with me at any point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had to deal with multiple bad situations today, but the penultimate one makes me want to find another job tomorrow. I am a primary provider for a male dog with a hernia. I suggested to the owner that we should repair it when he comes in for his castration. This dog came in for an ear problem and saw a different doctor. That doctor told her that he would not need it repaired at all. When she told this new doctor that I (and the other doctor that has seen her dog) had both recommended it, the new doctor told her "I am the senior vet." The owner explained to us on the phone today that she took that to mean that as the senior vet, she should be trusted over me.

This new doctor has a lot of experience but is new to our hospital. Regardless, it is unprofessional to act this way. She also did not discuss this with me at any point.
Wow. Sounds like someone (with a serious esteem problem) is trying to mark their turf.

Wow, that is bs, dyachei. Sorry you're dealing with that crap. Also, why wouldn't you repair a hernia during castration? Does this senior noob vet have a reason for this?

Wow. Sounds like someone (with a serious esteem problem) is trying to mark their turf.

I'm the new grad vet (practicing for 8 months), shes been practicing for 13 years. But still not cool. And she didn't give reasons, so I don't know them until I confront her monday (which is making my stomach churn).

I'm the new grad vet (practicing for 8 months), shes been practicing for 13 years. But still not cool. And she didn't give reasons, so I don't know them until I confront her monday (which is making my stomach churn).
Doesn't make a difference if it was James Herriot back from the dead..... the proper response to the client after hearing the alternate diagnosis should be "I will discuss it further with my colleagues,"====even if she never intends to.

If she is really looking to assert her dominance she can still add "But I still think you won't need the surgery" (although I think a bigger person would not say that).

That is a really unprofessional approach for someone who supposedly has 13 years of experience under her belt. SOV is right. This looks like a case of insecurity. Good luck on Monday. Stand your ground.

Just to play devil's advocate maybe the hernia had closed down substantially and they thought it would close completely? I guess this would depend on the age of the dog if already 6month or so then never mind (should be closed surgically).

Just to play devil's advocate maybe the hernia had closed down substantially and they thought it would close completely? I guess this would depend on the age of the dog if already 6month or so then never mind (should be closed surgically).
Regardless of whether or not the surgery was still warranted, the doc should have discussed it with the dog's normal vet first, like SOV said. Dropping that line about being the senior vet makes me think that this new vet is trying to establish her place at the practice. Keep your head up dyachei!

Pet is 6 months old and coming in for a neuter Monday. We were gonna repair while under anesthesia

I have to rant about the BF... Err...ex BF as of this morning.:(

The handle to our front door broke off four days ago... still not fixed. I have been gone since last Friday on interviews, came home Wednesday night at midnight, went to work Thursday at 6am and have worked 12 hour shifts Thurs through today (I'm at work now and need I say EXAUSTED!?! :sleep:). The BF doesn't have a job, just goes to school. Not to mention it is HIS house! He "hasn't had time" the last few days... WHY NOT?!:confused::mad: He says that life is about having fun, not always having to fix things (Basically he would rather be at the bar). Obviously, he was not ready to own a house then, but when I tell him this, it is a huge argument.

1) Why would you not want to fix the front door to your house ASAP? Anyone and their mother could come to our house right now, and clean us out!
2) Why does it take me asking you for 4 days straight when you literally have nothing to do!?
3) Why on the 3rd day when you still haven't done it (it would take less than an hour!), You promise me up and down it will get done that day and to "not worry about it", and when I come home, not only is it not done, but you are nowhere to be found?

2 hours later I get a call from your wasted a** at 1:30 am (Awesome that I got home from work at 11pm and had to be back this morning at 7) asking me to come pick you up because you got your jeep stuck in the woods... HOW IS THIS MY PROBLEM?!!?

I can't even put into words WHY I'm mad right now, I just am!!! :mad:
HIS PRIORITIES ARE WHACKED!!!! And I am SO TIRED of the drinking and driving thing... it is not fair that I have to worry about him every time he goes out... not to mention the poor souls he could hurt or kill. It is a constant argument and something I simply am not going to deal with anymore. Not to mention, he constantly leaves our poor dogs by themselves all day long without taking them out, and then when I get home 12 hours later and they have peed on the floor, I get to clean it up! My female has constant UTIs and she needs to go out frequently!

I hate the fact that I moved across the country to be with this man who is never even home half the time. I go to work 45 hours a week, am taking 2 classes, applying to veterinary school, going on interviews, volunteer 20 hours a week, and still manage to make time for us. It's frustrating for someone to tell you they don't have time to FIX A DOOR HANDLE when you literally have to remind yourself just to breath everyday, while they go hang out with their buddies all the time. And then, I am constantly asked to rescue him from these situations, without him thinking for ONE second how it is affecting me (sleep wise and emotionally)! UGH!!!!! :eek: Then he is passed out in the shower, pulls the curtain rod off the wall, and gets water alllll over my bathroom at 2 am.

I left him a note this morning... "It's over, Billy" and left for work. I don't want this anymore. I don't like who I am when I'm with him. It won't be easy because we have a home here, three animals, and 4 years of history together. I adore his whole family (besides his mother ;)) and we have good friends and a good life here... most of the time. Today is one of those days where you want to stay at work as long as possible to avoid going "home". This SUCKS! :cry:

Dear UFL and Auburn, make this week a happy week please :scared:!!!:xf:

Last edited:

Sorry you are going through a tough time. You deserve better than this guy. You've put up with a lot and now it is time for you to find someone who appreciates how great you are! I hope you and your animals stay safe and Auburn and Florida give you good news :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)

The handle to our front door broke off four days ago... still not fixed. I have been gone since last Friday on interviews, came home Wednesday night at midnight, went to work Thursday at 6am and have worked 12 hour shifts Thurs through today (I'm at work now and need I say EXAUSTED!?! :sleep:). The BF doesn't have a job, just goes to school. Not to mention it is HIS house! He "hasn't had time" the last few days... WHY NOT?!:confused::mad: He says that life is about having fun, not always having to fix things (Basically he would rather be at the bar). Obviously, he was not ready to own a house then, but when I tell him this, it is a huge argument.

1) Why would you not want to fix the front door to your house ASAP? Anyone and their mother could come to our house right now, and clean us out!
2) Why does it take me asking you for 4 days straight when you literally have nothing to do!?
3) Why on the 3rd day when you still haven't done it (it would take less than an hour!), You promise me up and down it will get done that day and to "not worry about it", and when I come home, not only is it not done, but you are nowhere to be found?

2 hours later I get a call from your wasted a** at 1:30 am (Awesome that I got home from work at 11pm and had to be back this morning at 7) asking me to come pick you up because you got your jeep stuck in the woods... HOW IS THIS MY PROBLEM?!!?

HIS PRIORITIES ARE WHACKED!!!! And I am SO TIRED of the drinking and driving thing... it is not fair that I have to worry about him every time he goes out... not to mention the poor souls he could hurt or kill. It is a constant argument and something I simply am not going to deal with anymore. Not to mention, he constantly leaves our poor dogs by themselves all day long without taking them out, and then when I get home 12 hours later and they have peed on the floor, I get to clean it up! My female has constant UTIs and she needs to go out frequently!

I hate the fact that I moved across the country to be with this man who is never even home half the time. I go to work 45 hours a week, am taking 2 classes, applying to veterinary school, going on interviews, volunteer 20 hours a week, and still manage to make time for us. It's frustrating for someone to tell you they don't have time to FIX A DOOR HANDLE when you literally have to remind yourself just to breath everyday, while they go hang out with their buddies all the time. And then, I am constantly asked to rescue him from these situations, without him thinking for ONE second how it is affecting me (sleep wise and emotionally)! UGH!!!!! :eek: Then he is passed out in the shower, pulls the curtain rod off the wall, and gets water alllll over my bathroom at 2 am.

I left him a note this morning... "It's over, Billy" and left for work. I don't want this anymore. I don't like who I am when I'm with him. It won't be easy because we have a home here, three animals, and 4 years of history together. I adore his whole family (besides his mother ;)) and we have good friends and a good life here... most of the time. Today is one of those days where you want to stay at work as long as possible to avoid going "home". This SUCKS! :cry:

Dear UFL and Auburn, make next week a happy week please :scared:!!!:xf:

He sounds like a total douchebag. I'm glad you're leaving him - and don't you dare let him wheedle you into staying.

you deserve WAY better!!!! you have so much going for you and you don't deserve someone who is only dragging you down. And drinking and driving?!?! Seriously?!?! That in itself speaks volumes of the person he is.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you this week for UFL and Auburn!

He sounds like a total douchebag. I'm glad you're leaving him - and don't you dare let him wheedle you into staying.

In all fairness to him, he's not a douchebag most of the time and he has some PTSD problems that I have tried to help him with, but you reach a point where there is nothing you can do anymore. I can't keep existing just to help someone else. I only b**ched about the bad things about him, so it gives you a biased perspective, but I understand what you're saying. He is a good man, but just doesn't understand the whole "we live together and share a life" thing. He still wants to do whatever HE wants to do all the time. Not making excuses for him, because the s**t he does really hurts me sometimes, but it is not all there is to him. I appreciate your support!

But don't worry, there is no wheedling this time. I'm done.

When things like this happen, it adds up and adds up until you burst! I have no idea what I'm going to do the next few months before vet school (hopefully), but moving twice in 6 months won't be easy lol. Either way, I am on to bigger and better things! I haven't cried yet because I don't think it's hit me, or maybe because I emotionally detached myself months ago when this all started happening... just waiting for some good news from a school so I can finally feel like my life is going in the direction I want. :xf:

Sorry you are going through a tough time. You deserve better than this guy. You've put up with a lot and now it is time for you to find someone who appreciates how great you are! I hope you and your animals stay safe and Auburn and Florida give you good news :luck:

you deserve WAY better!!!! you have so much going for you and you don't deserve someone who is only dragging you down. And drinking and driving?!?! Seriously?!?! That in itself speaks volumes of the person he is.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you this week for UFL and Auburn!

Thanks y'all. I appreciate it. I didn't know who to vent to, so I thought I would rant to SDN :oops:

Well, I think you just did a pretty good job with the whole "putting it into words" thing. As hard as decisions like this are, you are doing the right thing. You deserve better, and you are clearly miserable when having to deal with his faults. Don't let him talk you into staying, because your brain and heart are both giving you the right hints.

Well, I think you just did a pretty good job with the whole "putting it into words" thing. As hard as decisions like this are, you are doing the right thing. You deserve better, and you are clearly miserable when having to deal with his faults. Don't let him talk you into staying, because your brain and heart are both giving you the right hints.

Yeah, and I can tell my head and heart are thinking the same thing because I haven't even been attracted to him physically in months because of all this!:mad: And he gets mad about it... maybe he should look in the mirror for a minute and see why. (The figurative mirror... he's not ugly lol)

I had that drinking and driving problem too with my bf. I always worried so much and we had huge fights about it until he got arrested for a DUI one night and was worried about getting deported. That's when he realized that drinking is not worth losing me. I know.. cheesy.. but he really quit. He has not had a drink since then and it's been about 4 or 5 months.

Don't let him talk you back into it. It's really not worth it. Not, when he's really not willing to change, which he obviously isn't.

EL - As you already know, I am two hours from you and ready to take you and the pets in at a moment's notice. PM if you need a temporary place while you figure things out.

EL - As you already know, I am two hours from you and ready to take you and the pets in at a moment's notice. PM if you need a temporary place while you figure things out.

Thanks Bisbee. I appreciate it as always.

I had that drinking and driving problem too with my bf. I always worried so much and we had huge fights about it until he got arrested for a DUI one night and was worried about getting deported. That's when he realized that drinking is not worth losing me. I know.. cheesy.. but he really quit. He has not had a drink since then and it's been about 4 or 5 months.

Don't let him talk you back into it. It's really not worth it. Not, when he's really not willing to change, which he obviously isn't.

Yeah he actually got pulled over for a DUI on MY BIRTHDAY :mad: this past year. We were leaving a bar late at night and I was sober (even though it was MY birthday, because I can't depend on him to drive me home). His car was parked in front of a fire hydrant, so I told him to pull it up the ten feet to the next spot and hop in with me. But no, he thought he would "just drive home" and got pulled over 30 seconds later by a cop that saw him getting in his car.

I have always told him if he ever gets a DUI, I'm gone. The cop let him go because it was my birthday. But secretly deep down, I wanted him to get that DUI. I wanted him to finally see that he isn't invincible. He said when he saw the cops lights all he could think was "I just lost her"... obviously that didn't stick in his head too long. He gave me the sweetest card ever and promised he would never put me through that again or drink and drive (I was obviously in my car behind him when he got pulled over and had to watch the whole thing)... that lasted about 2 weeks. :mad:

I grew up with an alcoholic father, and was physically abused by my previous alcoholic/drug addict boyfriend, so I don't do well with the drinking thing to begin with. And when you add in his PTSD and anger issue when he drinks, it makes me pretty sure the only other man I will ever date is one who hates alcohol :laugh:.

I have always told him if he ever gets a DUI, I'm gone. The cop let him go because it was my birthday. But secretly deep down, I wanted him to get that DUI. I wanted him to finally see that he isn't invincible.

I don't blame you. I'm actually kinda pissed off for you at that cop for letting him off. He could have hurt someone, regardless of whether it's your birthday or not, and that police officer majorly failed in his duty to protect people that day.

Good for you for leaving the relationship. It sounded very destructive. Try to stay busy with other things to keep your mind off it. We're all here for you!

Good for you Emiloo. Leaving someone you've been with for so long can be so hard to do. But at the end of the day, you need to take care of yourself and you are doing the right thing for your health and sanity. I really hope things don't become difficult (since you're still living together for the time being right?) but if they do please take up Bisbee's offer (Bisbee you are so incredibly sweet). Good luck hon. Stay strong because you deserve better.

Guess who had a fixed door handle when they got home from work tonight?!
PSH!! Too little too late buddy! :mad:

Thanks again everyone, having support is very helpful, especially since I am half a country away from all of my family and friends.

This should be an akward evening! :oops:

Thanks again everyone, having support is very helpful, especially since I am half a country away from all of my family and friends.

I know how you feel.
(This is coming from someone who still lives with her ex 2 months post-breakup. I broke-up with him. A lot of your reasons remind me of my situation... I will admit that you live one heck of a busy life!)
Best of luck. :love: You did the right thing.

I know how you feel.
(This is coming from someone who still lives with her ex 2 months post-breakup. I broke-up with him. A lot of your reasons remind me of my situation... I will admit that you live one heck of a busy life!)
Best of luck. :love: You did the right thing.

Yeah I remember talking to you about it lol. That means a lot coming from someone with an insane transportation schedule. ;):laugh: Has the strike ended yet?

Yeah I remember talking to you about it lol. That means a lot coming from someone with an insane transportation schedule. ;):laugh: Has the strike ended yet?

I DID talk to you about it. It seems like so long ago that I did.
*hugs*
It is expected to go until March. :mad:.
Who is going to give me $100 for rides, reimburse my bus pass and gym pass, and give me back my 32 hours of volunteering? Plus, I do not get to see my friends. Or get a haircut. I am almost out of salon-quality straightening spray (oh noes!)
Next week is our winter break. I cannot stay here with no buses. Roommate is going home. I was going to go with him to visit people, but I cannot find a place to stay. I do not want to spend a week in my hometown after spending the last two weekends there.

TL : DR = the transit strike has screwed up EVERYTHING but my education and I do not know what I am doing one week from the next.
:bang:

Worked an five days in a row last week, was only given 3 days off for my washington interview and then had to go right back to work today. I work 6 days this week. I haven't had a real day off without being on an interview or out of town since before new years. I sdn in desperate need of a vacation.

Worked an five days in a row last week, was only given 3 days off for my washington interview and then had to go right back to work today. I work 6 days this week. I haven't had a real day off without being on an interview or out of town since before new years. I sdn in desperate need of a vacation.
Maybe it is time for a 7 month vacation?

Seriously, especially looking at all the errors in my previous post. I even tried to correct some of them and they still did not correct. I guess thats what happens when I use my phone.
Seriously, crash with friends or parents... and enjoy yourself for 1/2 a year. Cadge and mooch off your friends/family for a while. By the time school rolls around you will be all amped up to get started!

Seriously, crash with friends or parents... and enjoy yourself for 1/2 a year. Cadge and mooch off your friends/family for a while. By the time school rolls around you will be all amped up to get started!

Currently, crashed with parents. My other bills are too much for me to quit my job now otherwise I would be out of there.

Dear UFL and Auburn, make this week a happy week please :scared:!!!:xf:
So sorry to hear about your situation EL. This sounds really similar to what I went through with my ex a few years ago. I kept thinking, hmm I haven't cried yet....and then I realized that it was because I was so relieved. I had spent so much time crying and upset before I finally made the decision to move out that once I was finally gone, it felt, well, great. I also think it helped that he finally agreed that I got the dog (not that I would really have let him take him/share him, I mean really?) Hope it turns out to be a relief for you too. I know its tough but it really sounds like you're making the best decision for you. Hang in there!

Stick to your decisions. It can be hard, especially if they try to crawl back. Re-read your post here often - it sounds like you are making the best decision. Not a happy situation, but you can get something positive out of it - ie, extricating yourself from a relationship where you are essentially being someone's mom.

Emiloo - I just sent you a PM... **hug** You are in my thoughts...

Just had to euthanize my betta fish :(. I've only had him a few months, and I was really fond of him! No idea what was wrong, he had gotten constipated a week and a half ago, so I withheld food for 2 days until he worked things out, but then he's just refused to eat anything since then. He became progressively more lethargic and pale and just looked plain sad. I probably should have euthed sooner, but I was hoping he'd make a comeback.

Rant: Today/yesterday I feel like I am going to implode. I want life to move forward instead of backwards.

(just one of those mope-ie days)

Just had to euthanize my betta fish :(. I've only had him a few months, and I was really fond of him! No idea what was wrong, he had gotten constipated a week and a half ago, so I withheld food for 2 days until he worked things out, but then he's just refused to eat anything since then. He became progressively more lethargic and pale and just looked plain sad. I probably should have euthed sooner, but I was hoping he'd make a comeback.

I'm sorry for your loss :( This same situation happened a couple weeks ago to my little guy and I also had to euthanize. He was older but it was still sad. You did your best and he had a great life when he was with you.

99% sure that I am about to be struck down by le plague de vetschool. :( Friend/classmate that I sit next to (and partied / hung out with over the weekend) has been feeling icky for a few days. Basically, I've been doomed since Friday.

And now I'm frozen, have an inspiratory cough, throat feels tight, and so flippin' exhausted I can't study :(

Oh yeah, and exam is at 8 am, and I have yet to find a magic cure that allows me to not be unconscious while it does its job.

Somebody helpppppppppppppppp

99% sure that I am about to be struck down by le plague de vetschool. :( Friend/classmate that I sit next to (and partied / hung out with over the weekend) has been feeling icky for a few days. Basically, I've been doomed since Friday.

And now I'm frozen, have an inspiratory cough, throat feels tight, and so flippin' exhausted I can't study :(

Oh yeah, and exam is at 8 am, and I have yet to find a magic cure that allows me to not be unconscious while it does its job.

Somebody helpppppppppppppppp

NOOOOOOOOO! I feel your pain. I was barfing with a headcold before our last anatomy exam. Illness and vet school just isn't fair.

My go-to is always Dayquil-- doesn't work for you? :(

NOOOOOOOOO! I feel your pain. I was barfing with a headcold before our last anatomy exam. Illness and vet school just isn't fair.

My go-to is always Dayquil-- doesn't work for you? :(

Full dose knocks me out, half doesn't help at all lol.
I might run out and get childrens dimetapp. doesnt help as much as sleepy meds and really does nothing for the throat, but at least it doesnt leave me unconscious.

Working on home remedies now and crossing fingers.... And so thankful for electric blankets

Full dose knocks me out, half doesn't help at all lol.
I might run out and get childrens dimetapp. doesnt help as much as sleepy meds and really does nothing for the throat, but at least it doesnt leave me unconscious.

Working on home remedies now and crossing fingers.... And so thankful for electric blankets

Ugh that is so sad! No fair. :(

So, my kitty has been lethargic for about a week and has had a fever since at least last Thursday. I took him in today to get him checked out, but he loathes the cage so much that he was growling and trying to bite during the physical exam. The vet went to draw blood on him and for fear of getting bit opted to let him simmer down over night with no food just in case we have to sedate him tomorrow. My poor kitty :( He's never been sick the year I've had him and I'm really hoping it's nothing. I hate not having him home tonight.

It's only Tuesday and I am soooooo freaking wiped out already. And we have exams in the two pathology courses within the next week so there goes any hope of a good night's sleep.

I'm sorry for your loss :( This same situation happened a couple weeks ago to my little guy and I also had to euthanize. He was older but it was still sad. You did your best and he had a great life when he was with you.

Bettas are funny little fish. I like them. I had one for two years that developed what I initially thought was dropsy, so every month I'd have to knock him out and do a belly tap with an insulin syringe. He was eating and happy through all of it though, despite aslowly swelling up with fluid every 2-3 weeks. When he finally stopped eating after about 4 months of treatment, and I couldn't get any fluid out of his big swollen belly during his last draw session, I euthanized him on the table (well, on the desk :oops:). Did a necropsy (of course, this is me we're talking about) and he had a huge tumor in his coelom :eek: So THAT'S why I couldn't get any more fluid out! On histology, turned out to be a really jacked up kidney tumor that had likely been growing for months and months. Poor lil dude.

Interview cancelled three hours before because they realized my availability wasn't good for the shift they would want me to take. Grr. Can't you look at that before you call me, maybe?

Sad pandas. So many sad pandas. Sad pandas everywhere. Aaannddd I'm late for class.