About the ads

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

RANT HERE thread

Discussion in 'Pre-Veterinary' started by flyhi, Jun 17, 2010.

1. This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors and sponsors. Thank you.
  1. Virginger

Virginger Oregon State c/o 2017

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Dsmoody23, LOL...
  2. Katie8

Katie8 NCSU CVM c/o 2016 Gold Donor

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I joined a kickball team! It has been so incredibly fun, and I've met some people that way (a very "non-sport" sporting event!)

I went to MSU too btw! Just saying, Raleigh isn't too far from NC if you ever are looking for a road trip!

And ditto the third wheel and the friends that only want to hang out with you when their significant other is busy. It's like being the permanent back-up plan and it drives me nuts :mad:

Also, how did people do long distance without skype and webcams?!?! I have no idea if my SO and I would have lasted this long without it!!
  3. nyanko

nyanko all i do is win Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    You aren't friends with the right guys. Platonic friendships can totally work, even with straight men, if the guys respect you as a person. Some guys, it is true, seem to be incapable of seeing women as people period, for a lot of reasons that have little to do with conscious decisions. But not all of them!

I mean do their SOs have to come with them everywhere or something? You can be friends with people in relationships...they're still individuals...

I wish my advice amounted to more than "make different friends" cause I know that's a stupid thing to say, but really that's the extent of it.

Signed,
    a person who actively tries to ban her SO from going everywhere with her and insists on NOT going everywhere with him.
  4. Trematode

Trematode

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    A few months prior to me moving away from my university town, there was a drive-by shooting, a man got his face smashed in by a stranger and had to be airlifted to the hospital, and the owner of a restaurant got harassed by group of men who then let their pitbull attack him. All within a 10 minute walk from my house. Also, my neighbors started selling drugs. Their clients were parking in our driveway and actually harassed the landlord's gf and her son when they walked by the house one day.

I feel your paranoia.
    Then again, I lived in an area with am 18% unemployment rate but there was never anything worse than arson going on around me.
  5. dyachei

dyachei UTK c/o 2011 Administrator SDN Senior Moderator

Veterinarian
    Veterinarian SDN 7+ Year Member
    Today was a 2 doctor day and I was working with the doctor I wrote about the other day. On 2 doctor days, we try to book 20 pets/doctor - so about 40 pets. Did a pretty good job today (37 pets). This doctor was doing the surgeries today and there were only 2 of them. She didn't get started until 11 am. She also decided she was going to do admin for the rest of the day. I saw 31 of the 37 pets today. 31 pets in an 8 hour day or about 4 pets an hour. I am exhausted and she was wandering around doing absolutely nothing, chatting with some clients. I'm so over this doctor already.
  6. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    The fuzz brought in the K9 unit and tracked their dude down... and arrested him in front of my window.

I was wondering who had the loud, terrifying sounding dog in the building that doesn't allow dogs.

What an eventful evening.
  7. Emiloo4

Emiloo4 UF CVM 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

Wow, sounds crazy. You're lucky he didn't break into your window to hide! Any idea what he did to make them chase him?
  8. Bisbee

Bisbee

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I sure hope you've got your feelers out for another position. This sounds just terrible working with a person like that. When do you get the happiness you worked so hard in vet school for? When do you get your dream? I'm sure this is not what you had in mind. I hope you can either come to a meeting of the minds or move on soon. I feel for you.
  9. dyachei

Veterinarian
    I appreciate your response. On days I work by myself, I love my job.

I feel stuck since I am in my first year out still. I don't want to be the doctor that can't keep a stable job and most places want at least a year of experience. She also told me to let her know if I needed help with the rooms, which I did and she did absolutely nothing about it.:bullcrap:

It feels like she's trying to get me to leave. Not cool.
  10. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Noooo idea. I'm guessing drug related.

All I know is that Columbia has some impressive canine justice machines.
  11. NStarz

NStarz Ohio State c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I double-dosed some dogs post-op today. I missed the two places on the sheet where it said "SIDa" and start "2/21." We gave them some carafate, and they should be fine, but I still feel awful about it. :( Here's to hoping tomorrow is a better day!
  12. jmo1012

jmo1012 SGU (NCSU) c/o 2015!

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    just when you think you're making progress in life, you get knocked back a few steps. ugh
  13. LMMS

LMMS Back Hunting Wolves

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Dyachi, I'm so sorry she's such a douche. I'll keep my fingers crossed that your paths cross seldomly; and on the days they do, that she takes her meds! It's a lousy thing when people you work with end up making your days miserable.
  14. Bisbee

Bisbee

SDN 2+ Year Member
    That really is not cool. Could be there's some amount of jealousy or insecurity on her part? I guess since you are less than a year out you do need to hang tough for a while. I do hope that you can work things out, though, while you're stuck there. Don't let her push you out of your first job. (And I'm glad you have some enjoyment on her days off...enjoy the happy days!)
  15. DVMDream

DVMDream Gone, Adios! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Got bit by a dog about six weeks ago. My thumb nail has been bruised and slightly swollen since. I noticed that the bruise was starting to grow out with my nail, so I thought that the bruise would grow out and that would be the end of it. Nope, my nail is starting to fall off. I hate losing nails eventually you have to pull them off and it always hurts...:(
  16. fromthebox

fromthebox SGU DVM/MPH 2017 Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I do this too, I really value my alone time and doing stuff with other people. My biggest pet peeve is actually the girls who pre-judge me as automatically sappy in love third wheel all the time. My (former) best friend reacted so negatively to the fact that I was in a relationship that she excluded me, ignored me and eventually joined forces with the roommate she had been telling me she hated all year to kick me out of the apartment we shared and that she had agreed to let my boyfriend rent part of (we were paying double for my room) all because she couldn't handle the fact that I was in a relationship. Trust me, I don't do PDA and I really need my own space and time, so it isn't like I didn't have time for her, she just decided she no longer had time for me.
  17. kakurubird

kakurubird

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    Ewwww. Nail things are the worst!

I had a splinter under my nail a few years back and ended up losing only half of my index finger nail. I can't imagine not having any thumb nail. I hope you heal quickly!
  18. Angelo84

Angelo84 Tufts Class of 2011

Veterinary Student
    SDN 7+ Year Member
    Are you the first new grad this place has hired? If not it may well have a reputation for turn over of new docs. If possible sounds like you should quietly look for a new job--when's your contact up?
    Nice job on seeing that many patients!
  19. dyachei

Veterinarian
    First new grad at this location, but it's corporate. The dr in question was a recent transfer that seems to have problems interpersonally and ethically. I am looking for a new job and have sent feelers out for a transfer
  20. orca2011

orca2011 PennWe c/o 2016!!! Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Ugh. I'm sorry. I lost two of my finger nails at the same time (got my fingers caught in the fire door to my ex's flat) and they turned black instantly and hurt like hell. I had to make my friend do our entire micro lab (which didn't require much on her part...took the course in England and the lab definitely was not up to the standards I expected) because I couldn't get a glove onto my hand. Took my nails about 4 months to fall off/start growing back. Wishing you speedy nail growth! Sorry that sounds weird...I think I'm starting to come down with something so it's making me a little loony.
  21. PetPony

PetPony Rawr :*

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    A machine the foal I watched was hooked up to apparently made a mistake and didn't start beeping until way too late. She didn't get enough meds because of that. While I know it's not my fault, I still feel terrible because it was during my watch. She'll be fine; I even called back after I left, but what if something really bad would have happened due to that? I would feel awful and like it was my fault! :(
  22. bigkittinteef

bigkittinteef Dick Vet c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    First off, congrats on working so efficiently right out of vet school! 37 pets a day does not happen at my hospital (both vets are experienced-older laid back guys lol) so WOW!
    Second, I'm really sorry you are dealing with what sounds like an insecure moron. I wish there was a way that this doctor could be reprimanded for wasting time (since it's corporate I'm surprised they her around-what a waste of space and $!). Is there a way to talk to a superior about this? I'd hate for you to have leave when you are the one that is working hard! But, you know what's best for you. I wish you luck in resolving this, however you see fit. :)
  23. Emiloo4

Emiloo4 UF CVM 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Small rant....
    Since I got accepted at Florida last week, I have worked 2-11 every single night and have not even had a minute to celebrate my accomplishment... and I am not one of those who had an easy journey here (not that many of us have) and I want to shout to the world! Oh and did I mention, I don't have another day off until Sunday?... and then well... it's just Sunday :(

I WANT TO CELEBRATE, D*MNIT!!!!! :mad:
    +pity+

:shrug:

:annoyed:
    :wtf:
    :diebanana:
  24. Virginger

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Good Recommendation, different friends are a good plan, just have to meet them :laugh:. On the lighter side, my co-worker (female) is joining me for a Capitals game (my boss gave me a second pair of her 3rd row hockey tickets, YAY)... She is delightful but she is moving next week to NC... lame.

I have one straight male friend who has always been an outstanding person... I have always valued that friendship... but he lives in MI... there just needs to be more people like him.

again, I agree that third wheel scenario = LAME, :laugh:. If I head down that way I will PM you! NC is always a must go to destination for Northern Virginians.

I submitted a form for the therapeutic riding center down the road and have already set up a time to meet other volunteers and become aquatinted. At the very least its a feel good activity that gets me out of the house :)/something I am really excited to do/something new to tack onto next years application, = good plan

...and... GO GREEN! ... lol :D:luck::hungover::woot:
  25. Virginger

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    OKay, packing up the microbrews and the delicious wines... any requests?! Sunday can be awesome!!

...and I am gonna live vicariously through your success while you celebrate, okay? :) lol
  26. Trematode

Trematode

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have not seen anyone I graduated with in a few months. I wanted to go back to that city and visit over the break but I could not find a place to stay. My friend convinced me to register for the biology conference coming up in two weeks time. She told me she would be taking her car (instead of taking the bus with the other students... she is a loner). Yay! I offered to go splits on gas and off I went to register.

Well, she just bailed on me. She suddenly "realized" that the bus is free and that she cannot afford to take her car. Thanks for letting me know that. AFTER I register. And thanks for getting me all psyched up to see you, my thesis supervisor and my old labmates. I also want the chance to talk about the progress being made on the project that I created.

I just sent a desperate email to the research head at my current university (I have not made any connections here since starting in the fall and I have NO idea who to ask). Hopefully I will hear a reply because I really want to go!

My parents also do not want me to go because "the weather is unpredictable" and because of the cost. Ever since my brother decided to attend a $35 000/year college, all my family talks about is their finances and how broke we are. In case you are thinking that $35 000/year is no big deal, majority of that money is coming out of a line of credit because the maximum amount you can get for loans is $14 000 from the government.

TL,DR: Ride to conference bails. Every opportunity to meet up with people from my undergrad has failed. Family does not want me to go anyway because we are poor.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:
  27. Emiloo4

Emiloo4 UF CVM 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I mean yeah, I opened a bottle of wine, but after all the emotions and stress pent up over the last 6 months I just need to REALLY let loose! :cool:
    And yes, you can live through me, but soon you will get to live through YOURSELF! I have faith, and a few fingers I can cross for you :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:!! :luck:
  28. kakurubird

kakurubird

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    OH MY GOSH. 3rd row?!? SO JEALOUS. I don't even care that they seem to forget occasionally about this silly little thing called scoring goals and winning games. Still so jealous!
  29. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    One of my cats appears to have ear mites. Or a raging ear infection.

Why? WHY? HOWWW???

And why during finals week? Come on, bro.
  30. Virginger

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I hope so, I would love to be that "dark horse" that made it. In the mean time, Woot Woot Emiloo :D ... you do deserve too celebrate

My boss is a smart lady, she loves hockey and buys season tickets under the practice's name ... which then get written off as a business expense (or something) ... which means she picks the games she want to go to and then she give X number of tickets away to employees and clients... Im not a huge sports person but have always enjoyed sporting event for the social atmosphere

There is no bus service you can take too? ...or is anyone else heading that way?
    ... missing out on college friends is hard, I totally understand that...
    Can you get your work to pay for part of the conference? ... I usually try to rationalize why it is beneficial for them to send somewhere by offering to do a staff meeting on the topic and educate co-workers on what I learned... it works sometimes.

Summary: thats unfortunate, I hope it works out! I have bee told that things happen in 3's, maybe its your turn for a break from crapola :xf:
  31. PetPony

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I hate having to come up with thesis statements.. Does this sound ok?

"As colonial settlement began, the differences in how wealth could be viewed were big between the Native Americans and the English colonists, as well as how this wealth was measured, but over time, the two different groups began to develop more similar views of these topics."
  32. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Your German-ness is showing. ;) It seems like you've got a lot going on in one sentence, and I think you can make it a bit more concise.

Could you say something like...

"Although early perspectives on wealth varied between the Native Americans and English colonists, over time they began to develop more similar views of wealth and how it was measured."
  33. PetPony

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have a hard time putting all the concepts in one sentence and still making it sound good. I'd be much happier if I could use two sentences, but oh well..

Thank you! That sounds much better!
  34. breenie

breenie Weenie 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I know the feeling! Writing/essays never came naturally to me.
  35. PetPony

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I used to be a good writer, but somehow I'm starting to get German and English grammar mixed up and it's terrible.. :scared:
  36. ARC99

ARC99 CSU c/o 2016

Pre-Veterinary
    1) Dog jumps over fence into neighbor's yard as I'm running late for class this morning. Go to neighbor's house and she's SUPER pissed at me (little overboard, lady!) and in the middle of breast feeding her kid! My dog is way friendly, but she just REALLY likes the squirrels that are in her trees over there! Plus her dogs weren't even in the back yard at the time. I apologized profusely, but she was still being a b**tch! Whatever!

2) Had 3 houses lined up to view tomorrow as possible rentals. We live 30 min. away from campus now and I'm not about to have to make that commute every morning once vet school starts next semester. So, I get an email today from the leasing agent saying ALL of them are now rented...when she specifically told me that they wouldn't even be available for showing until tomorrow! WHAT??? Now you're on my sh*t list, stupid lady!

3) Had about 15 million missed calls/texts/voicemails when I got out of lab tonight only to find out that our family dog of 14 years had to be put down after breaking her femur...in HALF!!! Apparently she and another dog got into it and she fractured her femur pretty badly. She was already having a ton of trouble getting around to begin with, so my parents elected to euthanize. UGHHHH...I'm gonna miss that sweet girl. Her name was "Lovey" and it fit her well.

F TODAY!!!
  37. Bisbee

Bisbee

SDN 2+ Year Member
    ARC99 - The first two items on your list pale in comparison to #3. I'm so sorry for the loss of your poor, old dog. It's hard when it's sudden like that.
  38. Trematode

Trematode

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    This is funny in a sad sort-of way. My conference is in the next province over. Their inter-provincial bus has been on strike for a few months now. If I hop on a bus, it will leave me at the boarder.

I posted about needing a ride on my FB wall because it got me home from a conference once before. No responses yet. I also emailed the head of research at my university to see if any students are heading that way. No response yet. I have only been here since September and have not made very many connections... I do not know any faculty or students who know what is going on. I attempted to join the Biology Society (who did those trips at my undergrad) but they ignored my emails, did not post meeting times and when I asked professors about the society, they had no idea who was running it and when/where the meetings are. :bang:

I may look into a shuttle. But I think it is a lost cause. I asked to share accommodations with another student. I was given an email address and she has not responded yet. I emailed her Thursday.
    End of ramble.

I am just very disappointed. :(. This was probably my last year in a long time to go.
  39. kaydubs

kaydubs Bronze Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ARC99 :hugs: Sympathies for your doggy.

Up in these parts, I met a purebred, non-American German Shepherd last year in a K9 unit. Was quite impressed. I think her partner was a bit iffy when I started bombarding him with questions.... :oops: I hope your neighborhood crime rate improves!

Hm, she sounds like a bit of a sneakity sneak. BS indeed! Best of luck - show that co-worker you can hang in there :thumbup:
  40. Trematode

Trematode

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    A minor rant:
    A number called my cell 10 times in 15 minutes while I was at the movies last night. M friend looked it up on online and it is apparently a Spanish-speaking Pennsylvanian who likes to scam people.
    They called me again this morning.
    F*** OFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
  41. StartingoverVet

StartingoverVet So long, and thanks for all the WW Gold Donor

Non-Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I don't think she is sneaky at all. She is a straight-up, lazy, full of self-importance, jerky, b*tch. Wish I could fire her *ss for you Dyachei!
  42. Virginger

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    ARC99, that is so sad and I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I hope that you have a >million wonderful memories w her to reflect upon to make you smile.

Trematode, I think you deserve a long and enjoyable happy hour :oops: I hope the rest of the day is better for you.
  43. Trematode

Trematode

Pre-Veterinary
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I could use a hug. The rest of my day will be spent making organic chemistry flashcards... I could think of worse ways to spend my day... I did splurge on Sharpie pens. I am excited to use them.
  44. fromthebox

fromthebox SGU DVM/MPH 2017 Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Hmm, this is a Rant/Rave I guess. I've got a sore throat, must have caught what the BF had. The good thing is, I've got plenty of sick time. So here I am, prepping for interview and recuperating rather than talking myself ragged at work. Would be better not to be sick but as I can't change that I'm ok with this.
  45. twelvetigers

twelvetigers Penguins are jerks. Gold Donor

Veterinary Student
    SDN 5+ Year Member
    I hope you like the pens as much as I do!
  46. Emiloo4

Emiloo4 UF CVM 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member

So sad the small things that make us happy... My best friend and I had every single color ever made when we took organic. We literally ate tuna fish for a week so we could afford the pens... :oops:
  47. Coquette22

Coquette22 AVC C/O 2015

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    My dad died today. I just saw him on Sunday, he was fine - at least, as fine as a stroke survivor on a dozen different medications can be. Dr Miller came up to me after class. Mom and my older sister are driving up to get me, but it's almost 5 hours. I don't know what to do with myself. I can't process it.
  48. Lissarae06

Lissarae06 Oklahoma State-2014

Where the wind comes sweepin' down the plains
    Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm so so sorry for your loss Coquette. I can't imagine what you are going through. My dad is a stroke survivor and I worry about him all the time. Sending hugs and thought and prayers your way.
  49. NStarz

NStarz Ohio State c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    So so so sorry Coquette :(
  50. ky261682

ky261682 AVC c/o 2016

Veterinary Student
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I'm so sorry for your loss. If there is anything I can do, even just be an ear for you to rant to, please let me know.