RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My dad died today. I just saw him on Sunday, he was fine - at least, as fine as a stroke survivor on a dozen different medications can be. Dr Miller came up to me after class. Mom and my older sister are driving up to get me, but it's almost 5 hours. I don't know what to do with myself. I can't process it.

C, words can't even express...We're all here for you if you find yourself needing something.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Coquette, I don't even know what to say. I haven't lost a parent and can't imagine what it must be like. There are obviously no words to make you feel better, but please know you have tons of support here and we are all thinking about you.

Coquette,
What a terrible, terrible thing to have happen. I am so sorry. I lost my father 5 1/2 years ago and remember how it felt (the worst). You will get through and be okay, though. For now, being with your family will help.

I'm so sorry Coquette. Losing a parent is so very difficult and there are no real guidelines on how to make it better. All I can say is take it one day at a time. Just make sure to reach out if you need help, ok? We're here for you.

Coquette, I am so sorry for your loss. I literally gasped when I read your post. My heart, thoughts, and condolences go out to you and your family. May you surround yourself with love and hugs.

Coquette, I am so sorry for your loss. I know you must be in so much pain and like the others on this thread have said, we are here for you if you need us.

I'm so sorry for your loss C. I lost my dad about 4 years ago. And I totally understand how sudden it is (my father wasn't in the best health). My thoughts are with you and your family.

I'm so sorry Coquette.
There's no right way to respond, just be with your mother and sister and rest of your family and know that everyone is thinking of you and here for you.

I'm so sorry Coquette. I can't even imagine what you must be going through right now. :( We're all thinking of you and sending our love your way.

Members don't see this ad :)
So sorry, Coquette. Process it (or don't process it) however you want. *hugs*

My dad died today. I just saw him on Sunday, he was fine - at least, as fine as a stroke survivor on a dozen different medications can be. Dr Miller came up to me after class. Mom and my older sister are driving up to get me, but it's almost 5 hours. I don't know what to do with myself. I can't process it.

Love and all of the hugs in the world to you, Coquette22. take all the time to heal :biglove: Safe trip home!

I wish I could say more to make you feel better, but I am so sorry for your loss. I haven't lost a parent, but I'm a good listener if you ever need someone to talk to. You and your family are in my thoughts.

I am so terribly sorry for your loss. I can't even imagine what you're going through right now. I just hope your mom and older sister are there with you now so you won't have to be alone. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Was coming on here to whine about still being sick and stupid human doctors. But I can't even do that now.
Coquette, I'm so sorry. Hang in there- I know its hard now, and its okay to not know what you're feeling. Numbness is a perfectly acceptable way of coping with an emotional shock like this. I'm thinking of you <3

Coquette, there are no words to express how sorry I am for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family. I will keep you all close in my thoughts.

Having a "down" day.....not getting along with new pony right now. He is VERY playful and does not respect his weight and I've reprimanded him too severely twice in the last couple days and feeling crappy about my poor reaction. What do I do??? (this being rhetorical since SDN is NOT for behavioral advice...) Don't want to ruin his trust - but also tired of getting head butted and shoved and pushed and run over and smashed into...... :( Anyway.

THEN doberman who has been going through some immune related issues (Yay, myositis) has been going to school with me and today she attacked a dog who did nothing except walk by her....she has NEVER been aggressive. EVER. She is leash aggressive but always calms right down when off leash. :mad: I just hope its the prednisone but still very disappointed in her.

Now I need to go study a million billion things. I hate fermaldehyde. It's my kryptonite.

sigh.

I will be praying for you and your family Coquette! I cannot even begin to imagine how you are feeling right now.

oh my gosh....Coquette - I totally didn't see your post when I posted early and now I feel like a selfish butthole.

I am so sorry. I have NO idea what it feels like to lose an immediate family so I can only imagine. I'm sorry. :(

I'm so sorry Coquette. Losing a parent must be terribly difficult and my thoughts are with you. Your family is in my prayers.

Okay, I feel bad ranting, but this was the first time we've had to have animal control come to our hospital for an abuse case. I can't say too much, but it involved a french bulldog being scalded by boiling hot water on half its body. The act was not malicious, just ignorant and obviously a very poor regard of common sense. I can't get it off my mind. Just the best little trooper in the world....

Okay, I feel bad ranting, but this was the first time we've had to have animal control come to our hospital for an abuse case. I can't say too much, but it involved a french bulldog being scalded by boiling hot water on half its body. The act was not malicious, just ignorant and obviously a very poor regard of common sense. I can't get it off my mind. Just the best little trooper in the world....

reminds me of something that happened at the hospital i work at the other day...we had to have animal control come to my hospital the other week because a 12 week old pit bull puppy came in through the ER for a pneumothorax after being kicked by her owner. She was being nippy and not pottying outside like she was supposed to and she was hiding behind a bush...he grabbed her, she nipped him, and when he brought her inside, he kicked up so hard to cause a pneumothorax. when his wife got home she brought the puppy immediately in...the puppy was 90 degrees with a BP of 50 when she came in...luckily she survived and is now in custody of AC until the court date. she was SUCH a trooper -- and the sweetest thing ever. don't understand how ANY ONE could kick that sweet little thing. just don't get people sometimes. :confused::bang::annoyed::nono::slap::bullcrap: :wtf:

oh my gosh, i am so sorry for your lost coquette. i've never lost parents before but i saw my mother go through it with my grandparents and i still remember how it felt when i lost them. it is such an incredibly difficult time...spend as much time as you can with your family members during this hard time...my thoughts are with you and your family. may your father RIP.

My thoughts are with you (and your family)...

Coquette - You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Coquette I'm so so so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine the pain and anguish that you're going through. Let any of us know if you need anything. We're here for you.

I am so sorry for your loss coquette and the pain you and your family must be going through now :(

(1) Coquette, I cannot even imagine. My heart goes out to you. I keep your family in my prayers too.

(2) My long rant (which is petty and insignificant compared to Coquette): What is going through management's mind?

Overview of Procedure: Fecals and Dewormings are REQUIRED once a year or a client must sign a waiver. I appreciate the effort of my practice to encourage clients to do those procedures because they protect the household from zoonotic diseases in addition to being a good preventive practice. They encourage (RECOMMEND) clients to actually do this 2 x a year. If the client boards or grooms at our practice we require (no waiver allowed) that they have had at least one of the two within the last 6 mo. Once again, I agree with these practices.

Side-problem: Many clients are hit by the recession and are cost conscious. When the him-and-haw while I go over vacc and treatments I will tell them that we do not require them but we recommended every 6 mo.

Main-problem: I honestly do not like feeling pressured to bully clients by not telling them our actual guidelines as what is required and recommended (it feels unethical). I dont think it is a flaw that I think we should be cost conscious with our clients and win their respect by showing that we actually assessing the needs of the patient (and while trying not to gouge them for $$). When I do think that the client should (for various environmental factors) do recommended procedures I use all the knowledge in my head (that I know is okay to say to clients) to educate them as to why they should do such-n-such. This is extremely successful with clients who want to do what is right for the patient and their household.

Side-problem: Another challenge I face simultaneously is that I am quite typically the only assistant who is trained to do appointments for the majority of my shift. That means I have to balance both dr. and tech appointments by myself if there is not LVT or if the LVT is doing a dental (or etc.). My practice cannot attract experience employees because they pay us poorly... so all we have is untrained noobs.

Side-problem: In addition to that, reception is held to an incredibly low standard for quality of work and they basically have none of liability. Yet they nip at our heals on the intercom all the time thinking we sitting on our butts all day... I know that I know the vacc protocol inside and out... they dont... we even have to recheck their chart work every night for next day appointments because they refuse to learn or care (not just my opinion at work).

I know that if I am not insanely busy I do talk about the recommended procedures and will talk through with clients about why we make the RECOMMENDATIONS. If we a busy I have to keep to a tight schedule... and the doctors dont even disagree with not doing the recommended 6 mo deworming and fecal... and they do not ever pull out the waivers for that type of declination.

Why I Need to Vent I: A receptionist that usually likes to act like she knows everything and is extremely confrontational claims to me that I did my job wrong when I didnt say the client HAD to do the RECOMMENDED fecal or deworming. I say I did what was required and that, that was not required ... and I usually tell them unless they are coming back for grooming or boarding they need to do it... I know that it is most likely that I did mention that, if I didnt I happy to apologize/I probably was on a time crunch thanks to the staffing problem... She says the client is very mad and is furious with me because I acted like I was busy and didnt say that she had to do those. Then she said she was going to tell out manager and that she was trying to save my ass.

Why I Need to Vent II: In response to the manager discussion with me:
(1) I dont think it is ethical to be not allowed to discuss with clients what is required and what is recommended... legit gonna get my a** chewed out for that, :bullcrap:
(2) I dont think they that it is my job over the veterinarians to push clients to treatments that are required AND treatments that are recommended
(3) I dont think it is solely my job over the veterinarians to have waivers filled (and my practitioners dont practice this enough to make it worth yelling at me about)
(4) Of course I feel defensive after the receptionist runs off claiming she is gonna tattle on me (how old are we)

I think I must be going insane... Its beyond depressing w applications having gone the way they have... and personal life problems... but I go into every exam room smiling, light hearted, ask them multiple times what their concerns are, go over the vacc and treatments due, and bend over backwards to get everything done for the doctors... (this is me 98.5% of the time at worst)... and they cannot even replace me if I left (for sure... no one else who does mornings is trained)

+pity++pissed+:bang::diebanana::beat: thank you for letting me vent fellow SDNers :) your welcome to tell me if I am crazy, wrong, not wrong/not right, or right... I dont know how other people in me field would view this.

I'm so sorry coquette. You are in my thoughts. I am always willing to send you some amazing baked goods!

My rant..... MSU requires eukaryotic cell bio. This class is impossible. I studied and knew everything! I still passed the first exam, but only by a few % points. If I don't pass this class this spring, I can't start vet school. I'm starting to freak out. Hopefully I will do better on the next exam and final. Ugh. I'm starting to wonder if I should take the UC Berkley extension class just in case....but its ~$800..:scared:

I'm so sorry coquette. You are in my thoughts. I am always willing to send you some amazing baked goods!

My rant..... MSU requires eukaryotic cell bio. This class is impossible. I studied and knew everything! I still passed the first exam, but only by a few % points. If I don't pass this class this spring, I can't start vet school. I'm starting to freak out. Hopefully I will do better on the next exam and final. Ugh. I'm starting to wonder if I should take the UC Berkley extension class just in case....but its ~$800..:scared:

yeah, I avoided that class like the plague at MSU... I totally know what you are talking about. Sorry, to hear your having a hard time with it.

Again, thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Medical examiner said it was a severe coronary artery blockage and he probably went quickly, so I'm taking some solace in that and that at least I saw him over the weekend. And I'm very grateful for the support system I have around me. Both online and in "real life".

(And please, don't feel bad about other rants! I've had plenty of my own rants in the past while other people were having much bigger problems.)

I wish my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend/best friend/whatever WOULD JUST GO AWAY. Seriously, I would be so much happier. GOD DAMN
. :poke::slap::diebanana::boom:

Dyachei- Bites are the worst, well, for me at least they are. They make me feel super bad, like I really did something wrong to warrant a bite. But, then again, those Chihuahuas are frisky little guys. Mine tries to take a chunk out of my hand when I just flash the nail clippers at him. Anways, neosporin!!! :)

Last edited:
I wish my boyfriend's ex-girlfriend/best friend/whatever WOULD JUST GO AWAY. Seriously, I would be so much happier. GOD DAMN
. :poke::slap::diebanana::boom:

:( Maybe if you stopped putting up with it, she would go away? It might be worth it to see who's more important to him ( I don't like ultimatums but he is the one who is pushing it there).As I've said before, if it makes you uncomfortable and he can't respect that, there's a big problem there. Sorry you are in this mess, but you don't have to be stuck there :whoa:

:( Maybe if you stopped putting up with it, she would go away? It might be worth it to see who's more important to him ( I don't like ultimatums but he is the one who is pushing it there).As I've said before, if it makes you uncomfortable and he can't respect that, there's a big problem there. Sorry you are in this mess, but you don't have to be stuck there :whoa:
Thanks, Emi. I try not to think about it, but as of lately, it's on my mind constantly. Her random stupid messages on facebook (LOOK AT THIS PICTURE OF YOUR GODSON(her kid, not his), HE LOOKS LIKE YOU!) and calling him, telling him to cut his time short with me to see her and her son, is really getting to me. I talk to him about it, tell him that I don't like it and that it really upsets me, and he tells me it's not like it seems. I'm almost too fed up to deal with it anymore. It's like they don't have boundaries. I hate ultimatums. If he realizes how detrimental she is to our relationship, he should be the one thinking about/making a decision on what to do about her. I've been through too much BS already to be stupid enough to let this bring me down. Eventually, someone will have to make a decision. I hope that someone isn't me..

Thanks, Emi. I try not to think about it, but as of lately, it's on my mind constantly. Her random stupid messages on facebook (LOOK AT THIS PICTURE OF YOUR GODSON(her kid, not his), HE LOOKS LIKE YOU!) and calling him, telling him to cut his time short with me to see her and her son, is really getting to me. I talk to him about it, tell him that I don't like it and that it really upsets me, and he tells me it's not like it seems. I'm almost too fed up to deal with it anymore. It's like they don't have boundaries. I hate ultimatums. If he realizes how detrimental she is to our relationship, he should be the one thinking about/making a decision on what to do about her. I've been through too much BS already to be stupid enough to let this bring me down. Eventually, someone will have to make a decision. I hope that someone isn't me..

Wouldn't you rather have it in your hands than his though? And please understand this is coming from someone who just broke up with her boyfriend of 4 years two weeks ago, so I KNOW it's not easy! But like I said, if he can't stop strictly on the basis of you asking him to and telling him it bothers you, than it is not a healthy relationship to begin with. I know it's annoying for outsiders to tell you things like this, and it seems like I am jumping to extremes here BUT... I've put up with a lot in relationships (things I should never have put up with) and I'm pretty sure if this was happening to me and causing an issue in my relationship and most likely your trust in him, I wouldn't let it continue. You know what, screw the "your trust in him" thing... instead I say, if he doesn't make YOU feel like YOU are the most important girl in his life... if he doesn't make YOU feel like YOU are his best friend, then why does he have you tagging along!? :mad: I want to smack him! :slap: This is what breeds insecurities in girls that guys always b*tch about! Crap like this, and then they wonder why!!! :eek: Either way, do right by you. YOU should feel like his special person, not her!

I have 22 minutes left of a podcast with a profs whose voice makes me want to shove a fork in my eye and twist. repeatedly. In turn, because I can't stand her voice and she is teaching the ANS material - I hate the ANS. grrr.....

Wouldn't you rather have it in your hands than his though? And please understand this is coming from someone who just broke up with her boyfriend of 4 years two weeks ago, so I KNOW it's not easy! But like I said, if he can't stop strictly on the basis of you asking him to and telling him it bothers you, than it is not a healthy relationship to begin with. I know it's annoying for outsiders to tell you things like this, and it seems like I am jumping to extremes here BUT... I've put up with a lot in relationships (things I should never have put up with) and I'm pretty sure if this was happening to me and causing an issue in my relationship and most likely your trust in him, I wouldn't let it continue. You know what, screw the "your trust in him" thing... instead I say, if he doesn't make YOU feel like YOU are the most important girl in his life... if he doesn't make YOU feel like YOU are his best friend, then why does he have you tagging along!? :mad: I want to smack him! :slap: This is what breeds insecurities in girls that guys always b*tch about! Crap like this, and then they wonder why!!! :eek: Either way, do right by you. YOU should feel like his special person, not her!

I agree with Emiloo

This has nothing to do with veterinary medicine but it has been particularly on my mind today...

[I must disclaimer that I don't get into celebrity lives or things of that sort much but this is a bit depper than that...] a friend of mine posted a link to the you tube music video of Rihanna's new song with Chris Brown... and I truthfully had NO idea that Rihanna had a new song with him. However, when I found out upon seeing that, I said something along the lines of how dumb she was and how he beat her and now she's making songs with him, and my friend responded that "she didn't give a **** if she was with him after he beat her because it's a good song and they're good singers" ..........it made me want to throw up.

How are people not more upset by this? How can you hear something like that and not immediately think about the sheer twistedness of the situation? Both my aunt and mom (just to be clear, not by my dad) have been victims of domestic violence, so I guess that's why it hits home for me, but even if I hadn't known someone like that, I would be just as disgusted. It makes me so sad to see someone sending such a terrible message to women, girls and society in general. And that no one cares as long as she's cranking out good music. It's really frightening that nothing affects people anymore.

This has nothing to do with veterinary medicine but it has been particularly on my mind today...

[I must disclaimer that I don't get into celebrity lives or things of that sort much but this is a bit depper than that...] a friend of mine posted a link to the you tube music video of Rihanna's new song with Chris Brown... and I truthfully had NO idea that Rihanna had a new song with him. However, when I found out upon seeing that, I said something along the lines of how dumb she was and how he beat her and now she's making songs with him, and my friend responded that "she didn't give a **** if she was with him after he beat her because it's a good song and they're good singers" ..........it made me want to throw up.

How are people not more upset by this? How can you hear something like that and not immediately think about the sheer twistedness of the situation? Both my aunt and mom (just to be clear, not by my dad) have been victims of domestic violence, so I guess that's why it hits home for me, but even if I hadn't known someone like that, I would be just as disgusted. It makes me so sad to see someone sending such a terrible message to women, girls and society in general. And that no one cares as long as she's cranking out good music. It's really frightening that nothing affects people anymore.
I agree, except I wouldn't call her "dumb". The victim complex is a well studied area of psychology, and I think that plays a role in their relationship. I don't think she is being proactive role model, but not everyone is. I hope that things work out for the best if they decide to stay together and that there is no more domestic abuse.

I'm sorry if my message offends anyone who is/was abused or knows someone who is/was abused.

I know, I know. He is an awesome guy, but this is getting to be too much. I will definitely talk to him again about it when I go home next week. After that, I will have to start thinking about my own sanity. Thank you for your support.