RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I felt like the grim reeper today at work. I saw 4 patients, 3 of which ended up deceased in the end, 2 were scheduled euthanasias. But, what really has me ranting today is the client with the parvo puppy.

This client brings in a 17 week old, 2 pound, yorkshire terrier. The puppy is laying on its side barely able to hold its head up, has pale gums, a very fast heart rate (with a murmur), has bloody diarrhea coming out of its back end, and is very dehydrated. The client (who is not the owner, but the pet sitter) tells me that the puppy is not current on vaccines. So after I talk with her I go get the vet right away so we can get the puppy euthanized because at this point I am not sure if they puppy will even survive the time it takes for me to get the vet. The vet goes in, comes back out and says that we need to get the actual owner's information and put it in the computer because all we have is the pet sitter's info. She also put the puppy back in our isolation ward. So I go back and talk to the pet sitter who has the owner on the phone. While I am doing this I am also told to find out if they would like us to try treating the puppy or if they want to euthanize. So, I very bluntly tell the pet sitter her two options and the chance the puppy will have of surviving even with treatment. I also tell her that it will cost a $500 down payment to start treatment and treatment can end up costing around $1500 and that there are no guarantees that the puppy will live. So, the pet sitter explains this to the owner, the owner starts bawling over the phone. So, the lady hangs up with her and calls someone else and tells me to give them a few minutes. The pet sitter then decides to step outside to call people. I kept talking to the pet sitter and she kept asking if we can test and make sure this is parvo because, "what if it isn't". I told her we can test the puppy and start treatment but at this point the test is a waste of money. The puppy has all the symptoms of parvo, has no vaccines, and is on death's door so it does not matter what the test shows (which we are 99.99% certain it is parvo and the only reason that is not 100% is because we haven't spent the $60 something to run the test to prove it), the treatment and prognosis is still going to be the same. After going back and forth with the pet sitter, her calling the owner (and whoever the hell else she called), etc, etc. The pet sitter finally gets the owner back on the phone, the doctor goes in and gets authorization to euthanize the puppy (which at this point is a courtesy because they don't have any money). The doctor then comes back and tells me that the pet sitter gets all upset and goes, "What! You guys are going to put her down! I didn't know that was going to happen!" At this point I am just done with the pet sitter, and the owner, and everything else. I have been telling this lady (pet sitter) for the past hour that she needs to get the owner to decide if they want to try to treat or euthanize. She had an estimate IN FRONT OF HER FACE with the word euthanasia on it and we had talked about CREMATION!! What did she think we were going to do with the puppy? Put magical cure cream on it? The pet sitter now wants to say bye to the puppy before we put it to sleep. So I carry the puppy (who is now not lifting its head and is barely breathing) back to the room with the pet sitter. She is crying and crying and crying. The whole time I am watching the puppy breathe in and breathe out. Breathe in and............... breathe out................................breathe in..............................breathe out..........start slowly twitching legs/make legs stiff (thought in my head: do not start a seizure now, please do not seize now!)...........................puppy breathe in..........................................................puppy breathe out.....................puppy breathe in....................nothing. nothing. and nothing. I can still feel a heart beat (barely) but no breathing. Pet sitter notices and asks if that is normal (no, puppies always hold their breath for over 50 seconds that is normal) I tell her I still feel a heart beat but let me take the puppy back with me and have the vet make sure. Pet sitter won't let me take the puppy and wants to be with her, so I go get the vet and tell her I believe the puppy just passed away and asked if she will go confirm it since I did not have a stethoscope with me. Vet comes back and confirms it. Then the pet sitter wants to get out of their immediately. I ask her to please stay in that room, I will go check her out and come back with the receipt and then she can leave. Pet sitter tells me she doesn't want to be in that room anymore and has to get out. I tell her that she needs to stay in that room so we do not contaminate the lobby and possibly spread the virus to other patients. Pet sitter finally agrees. I get her checked out go back in the room, she is a lot more pleasant now and does not seem to be rushed to get out of there. I explain to her that she needs to bleach everything she can at home and whatever can't be bleached needs to be washed in hot, hot water with detergent at least once, twice is better and that still won't guarantee the virus is killed. I also tell her that the owner of the puppy needs to do this too. The pet sitter then tells me, "I don't understand how this could happen so quickly, she just wasn't eating for a few days and seemed tired. I also just had her at PetsMart about 45 minutes before I came here and she was walking around just fine." :FACEPALM::mad:

And people wonder whey they need to get all those puppy vaccines? There is a REASON we recommend them and a REASON why we tell people it is best to avoid public places with their puppy until it is fully vaccinated and is around 2 weeks past receiving its FINAL vaccine at around 16 weeks.

Sorry this is so long...but that is my rant of the day.

my stomach just turned reading this and I want to hit someone.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm taking the GRE tomorrow for the first time. I am TERRIFIED!:scared: I have almost completed the 1014 GRE practice questions book, went through the quant section in the Kaplan review book and almost have all of the 500 GRE vocabular words from Kaplan's GRE vocab in a box memorized. I'm going to take a few practice tests today just so tomorrow isn't a huge shocker. But still..eek!

Today I had a 2 hour lunch break, so I left school--big mistake. There was absolutely no parking when I came back. After 20 minutes of circling, I was about to be late for anatomy lab, so I parked in a staff lot that was half empty. Of course I came back to a lovely $32 ticket. (even though I have a $162 parking permit.)

Anyone familiar with the University of TN know this is just one of a number of things known as The Big Orange Screw. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Today I had a 2 hour lunch break, so I left school--big mistake. There was absolutely no parking when I came back. After 20 minutes of circling, I was about to be late for anatomy lab, so I parked in a staff lot that was half empty. Of course I came back to a lovely $32 ticket. (even though I have a $162 parking permit.)

Anyone familiar with the University of TN know this is just one of a number of things known as The Big Orange Screw. :D

You have to park in the large animal lot and get a pass from hospital operations to park there. Parking is a pain now though. There are 3 classes with more students than there used to be. It used to be 70 per class. now there are 85, 85, and 95 in 3 of the classes and there are fewer and fewer spots. Also, undergrads have been parking in the 2 lots that are near the vet school. Every day this week except today, I had to get a parking pass so I could make it to clinics on time. Their solution to the parking issues? Give out more tickets to discourage people from parking in the wrong places.

my stomach just turned reading this and I want to hit someone.

I so badly wanted to hit this lady the entire time. It was so incredibly frustrating but I refrained.

Rant today: I got a $232 speeding ticket. Not the best timing considering that applications are due soon and I need the money for them. :mad:

You have to park in the large animal lot and get a pass from hospital operations to park there. Parking is a pain now though. There are 3 classes with more students than there used to be. It used to be 70 per class. now there are 85, 85, and 95 in 3 of the classes and there are fewer and fewer spots. Also, undergrads have been parking in the 2 lots that are near the vet school. Every day this week except today, I had to get a parking pass so I could make it to clinics on time. Their solution to the parking issues? Give out more tickets to discourage people from parking in the wrong places.

Unfortunately, all of those spots were full at the time as well, which I have never seen! I don't know if it was just a busy day all around, or if undergrads think they have found a solution to main campus parking troubles.

Unfortunately, all of those spots were full at the time as well, which I have never seen! I don't know if it was just a busy day all around, or if undergrads think they have found a solution to main campus parking troubles.

They are parking in our lots since the bus is right there and it is actually easier for them to park here and take the bus over than it is for them to drive and then have to walk. The good news is that 2 weeks of school are roughly over and people will start skipping soon.

I agree it's ridiculous though. Especially with all those faculty spots.

Not that anyone can do anything about it, but I'm tired of my foot hurting. I broke the fourth metatarsal on my left foot during a hard parachute landing fall on 15 Jul and it still hasn't stopped hurting. I really really need to start running before my waist expands anymore. At least I'm only downing 1 800mg Motrin daily now.

This one doesn't hurt me as much as it does others, since I only have 2 classes left in my department, but the 3 best/most personable cheme professors either quit or retired this summer. It really makes me not want to finish my degree because I'm not interested in any of the electives they are offering (I was going to take one with one of the people who quit) and I have to have one to graduate. Thanks for the extra motivation to not finish what I started!

StuCo just informed me yesterday at like 4 am that they want the organization I'm in charge of to chalk the sidewalks on Monday (tomorrow...) advertising the blood drive. They don't even have the permit to do that yet. Thanks for the short notice!

My sister called me yesterday morning to ask for medical advice. My advice? Take the damn dog to the vet!

"I don't understand how this could happen so quickly, she just wasn't eating for a few days and seemed tired. I also just had her at PetsMart about 45 minutes before I came here and she was walking around just fine." :FACEPALM::mad:

I don't think I would have believed this if I didn't work at a vet... and have seen first hand how the idiocy of people can lead to the death of an innocent animal. Just the other day, we had someone put 2 cats down because they were "old". I am not a vet (not yet at least!) but I could clearly see that these cats were bright, alert, responsive, and to the semi trained eye, healthy. By old, I am talking 14 and 15, which is in fact old, but not necessarily cause for concern in a cat. Regardless, the cats were put down because the owners were ignorant. It was terribly sad, and I rarely tear up... but when the cats fought me while I held for the euthanasia, I did. It's one thing to rid an animal of its misery, its another for it to be a random decision made by the owners to just put the animal to sleep. Animals are not possessions and should not be disposed of as such. I wish I would have taken those 2 cats and let them live for a couple of more years, but this, according the vet, is illegal :(.

I think there should be a strict adoption/purchase policy on any pet, no matter how large or small. Kind of like how there is with children. A bit dramatic? Perhaps, but I don't care, I have had to deal with too many bad owners!

This one doesn't hurt me as much as it does others, since I only have 2 classes left in my department, but the 3 best/most personable cheme professors either quit or retired this summer. It really makes me not want to finish my degree because I'm not interested in any of the electives they are offering (I was going to take one with one of the people who quit) and I have to have one to graduate. Thanks for the extra motivation to not finish what I started!

The first time I took organic chemistry, I got a 57. I retook it with a different prof, but AVC won't look at the fact that I've retaken it. I have to take organic II. The mark I get in organic II will replace my organic I mark on my transcript.

The advice I've received on this forum is to take it. The advice I've received from everyone else is not to take it and that I am a dead woman if I do. My thesis supervisor doesn't understand why I have to take it and keeps bringing up the fact that I don't need it. He wants me to take another biology credit instead.

There is only one class of organic II. It is taught by a professor who just started teaching last year. Apparently, she is a b**** and is INSANE. EVERYONE (except for two people: both chem majors, one happens to be a genius and ended up getting a 99 in organic II). My organic I class that I retook was composed mostly of students who dropped out after failing the first organic I midterm with her or who flunked organic I. A guy I work with in my lab says he's never wanted to punch a person until he had her for a prof. Her averages on tests are in the low 40s.

I've always been weak at chemistry. If I take it, there is a good chance that I might not improve my mark by the sounds of it. If I drop it and take something else, my average might not improve enough for me to get accepted. There are no other chemistry courses that will fit into my schedule. I have a low english mark on my pre-reqs (73), but I don't have the 6-credit pre-req for any of the english courses offered.

This makes me regret the fact that I chose to attend a small university. *headdesk*

I hate going home. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it. Here's my mother rant.

I was home for a grand total of 5 minutes last night when my mom screamed "F*** you!" at my dad because he didn't remember the name of the burger she wanted from McDonalds. She screamed "DON'T BOTHER GETTING ME ANYTHING." When I went upstairs to get my food, she kept complaining about how she was stuck eating toast and beans for dinner because my dad was too stupid to remember the name of a burger that's been advertised on tv for the past month apparently (I don't have cable).

Then she went off to work at her crappy little nightshift job that's making her so miserable.

She just woke up. She insulted the way that I was sitting and said that it was going to make my, according to her, already curved spine worse. I asked her if I could go to the city on Friday to see my bestest friend who I haven't seen since January. The last two times I was home, mom promised me that I would get to visit her. Well, it's not looking too promising. "I COME OFF WORK FRIDAY MORNING." That doesn't matter. Why? Because she refuses to drive in the city, so dad would be the one taking me. "When does the bus go to the city?" "I don't know. The website is outdated. I would have to stop by the depot." "I SHOULDN'T HAVE GOTTEN OUT OF BED." She went upstairs, stomped around a bit, mumbling about how difficult I am.

The night before I left for Costa Rica, she got mad at me over my luggage. I rolled up all of the shorts, shirts, uniforms, ect that I was going to bring and she was putting them in garbage bags so that they wouldn't get wet. She put all of my pants in a garbage bag, set them in my empty duffle bag, and said "These aren't going to fit. Your bag is going to be too heavy." To make her happy, I took some of my pants out. "This isn't going to work. It's going to be too heavy!!!" *picks up a pair of jeans* "WHY are you taking JEANS to COSTA RICA? FEEL HOW HEAVY THEY ARE." and she throws them at me. I took even more pants out of my bag. "YOUR BAG IS GOING TO BE TOO HEAVY." So she takes everything out of my bag.

My aunt, uncle and cousin show up around this point and I start packing by myself. My aunt asks my mom how the packing is going. "Don't ask. She's taking wayyy too many things." "Mom, I started off when 10 pairs of pants and now I'm down to 5, for a 12 day trip. The only reason why I brought 10 pairs home with me because it's best to come with too much clothes rather than too little." She rolled her eyes at me. "This should have been done at the beginning of the week! Instead, you spent your time at the movies instead of getting ready for this trip that I paid $5000 for." I started crying. My aunt and cousin gave me hugs and my aunt slipped me $100 in case my luggage was overweight. I had to leave the house. I didn't care that it was 10pm and that I wasn't allowed out by myself after dark. I met up with a guy I knew from highschool and got a beer. As soon as I got home, I got yelled at for not being around to say good-bye to my aunt. I asked her why she didn't try calling me. "Well, I didn't know you had your cell phone on you." "I always have my cell phone on me." "Well, how was I supposed to know that?" "You could have tried calling..."

My dad got transferred to the states in 1997. He lost his job because after September 11th, they didn't want Canadians working in the states. So he came home. According to mom, living alone in the states made him lazy. She would abuse him over everything: laundry, dishes, his weight, his cooking, whether or not he gassed up the car, ect. Ever since then, I wanted them to get a divorce. When it was just my mom, my brother and I, everything was great. Now she complains about everything and is a hypocrite. I am getting so tired of trying to grin and bear it. When I do get into a fight with her, she goes from "I'm right and your wrong" to "I'm always wrong" and goes off to her room to cry, which makes me feel like crap.

*sigh*

I can't wait to be totally independent.

Members don't see this ad :)
scarcelyheard: It really sounds like your mom has some psychological issues. I was actually going to suggest Borderline Personality Disorder but the fact that you say she was fine before makes that unlikely. This is actually a good thing, because it means that perhaps whatever she's got, it's easier to work with than a personality disorder.

Unfortunately I doubt she would be amenable to getting any kind of help. Have you talked to your dad about it at all?

Haven't really talked to dad about it, but whenever she's in one of her moods, he tells me to agree with everything she says and to stay out of her way :p

Yeah, good advice. But, she has a point. As someone that spent a large part of two weeks with you (and talked to you, and listened to you talk about your relationship with your mom), I can honestly say that I'm agreeing with Nyan here. You might need to address this, as in it seems like it goes a fair bit past your mom just being a 'bitch sometimes.' it's doubtful that she would be willing to address the issue via counseling or whatnot, but it might honestly be worth bringing up (tactfully). The only thing that's certain here is that things will not improve on their own.

If nothing else, double your efforts for independence.

I felt like the grim reeper today at work. I saw 4 patients, 3 of which ended up deceased in the end, 2 were scheduled euthanasias. But, what really has me ranting today is the client with the parvo puppy.

This client brings in a 17 week old, 2 pound, yorkshire terrier. The puppy is laying on its side barely able to hold its head up, has pale gums, a very fast heart rate (with a murmur), has bloody diarrhea coming out of its back end, and is very dehydrated. The client (who is not the owner, but the pet sitter) tells me that the puppy is not current on vaccines. So after I talk with her I go get the vet right away so we can get the puppy euthanized because at this point I am not sure if they puppy will even survive the time it takes for me to get the vet. The vet goes in, comes back out and says that we need to get the actual owner's information and put it in the computer because all we have is the pet sitter's info. She also put the puppy back in our isolation ward. So I go back and talk to the pet sitter who has the owner on the phone. While I am doing this I am also told to find out if they would like us to try treating the puppy or if they want to euthanize. So, I very bluntly tell the pet sitter her two options and the chance the puppy will have of surviving even with treatment. I also tell her that it will cost a $500 down payment to start treatment and treatment can end up costing around $1500 and that there are no guarantees that the puppy will live. So, the pet sitter explains this to the owner, the owner starts bawling over the phone. So, the lady hangs up with her and calls someone else and tells me to give them a few minutes. The pet sitter then decides to step outside to call people. I kept talking to the pet sitter and she kept asking if we can test and make sure this is parvo because, "what if it isn't". I told her we can test the puppy and start treatment but at this point the test is a waste of money. The puppy has all the symptoms of parvo, has no vaccines, and is on death's door so it does not matter what the test shows (which we are 99.99% certain it is parvo and the only reason that is not 100% is because we haven't spent the $60 something to run the test to prove it), the treatment and prognosis is still going to be the same. After going back and forth with the pet sitter, her calling the owner (and whoever the hell else she called), etc, etc. The pet sitter finally gets the owner back on the phone, the doctor goes in and gets authorization to euthanize the puppy (which at this point is a courtesy because they don't have any money). The doctor then comes back and tells me that the pet sitter gets all upset and goes, "What! You guys are going to put her down! I didn't know that was going to happen!" At this point I am just done with the pet sitter, and the owner, and everything else. I have been telling this lady (pet sitter) for the past hour that she needs to get the owner to decide if they want to try to treat or euthanize. She had an estimate IN FRONT OF HER FACE with the word euthanasia on it and we had talked about CREMATION!! What did she think we were going to do with the puppy? Put magical cure cream on it? The pet sitter now wants to say bye to the puppy before we put it to sleep. So I carry the puppy (who is now not lifting its head and is barely breathing) back to the room with the pet sitter. She is crying and crying and crying. The whole time I am watching the puppy breathe in and breathe out. Breathe in and............... breathe out................................breathe in..............................breathe out..........start slowly twitching legs/make legs stiff (thought in my head: do not start a seizure now, please do not seize now!)...........................puppy breathe in..........................................................puppy breathe out.....................puppy breathe in....................nothing. nothing. and nothing. I can still feel a heart beat (barely) but no breathing. Pet sitter notices and asks if that is normal (no, puppies always hold their breath for over 50 seconds that is normal) I tell her I still feel a heart beat but let me take the puppy back with me and have the vet make sure. Pet sitter won't let me take the puppy and wants to be with her, so I go get the vet and tell her I believe the puppy just passed away and asked if she will go confirm it since I did not have a stethoscope with me. Vet comes back and confirms it. Then the pet sitter wants to get out of their immediately. I ask her to please stay in that room, I will go check her out and come back with the receipt and then she can leave. Pet sitter tells me she doesn't want to be in that room anymore and has to get out. I tell her that she needs to stay in that room so we do not contaminate the lobby and possibly spread the virus to other patients. Pet sitter finally agrees. I get her checked out go back in the room, she is a lot more pleasant now and does not seem to be rushed to get out of there. I explain to her that she needs to bleach everything she can at home and whatever can't be bleached needs to be washed in hot, hot water with detergent at least once, twice is better and that still won't guarantee the virus is killed. I also tell her that the owner of the puppy needs to do this too. The pet sitter then tells me, "I don't understand how this could happen so quickly, she just wasn't eating for a few days and seemed tired. I also just had her at PetsMart about 45 minutes before I came here and she was walking around just fine." :FACEPALM::mad:

And people wonder whey they need to get all those puppy vaccines? There is a REASON we recommend them and a REASON why we tell people it is best to avoid public places with their puppy until it is fully vaccinated and is around 2 weeks past receiving its FINAL vaccine at around 16 weeks.

Sorry this is so long...but that is my rant of the day.

A owner brought her cat into the ER i volunteer at a couple of weeks ago and the cat was seizing, barely breathing, and had an elevated temp. Eventually, the nurses figured out, after getting info from the owner, that she gave the cat flea/tick/heartworm meds for a dog.
Later on I could hear one of the nurses on the phone with her, "Yes and do you see the little picture in the corner of the animal in the circle with the line through it...thats a cat."
People never fail to amaze me.

i'm getting my ass kicked by vet school and it's only the beginning of week 3. :scared:

Not sure if this belongs in the RANT section, but I got seriously freaked out and need to vent, so bare with me (it is, as usual, a long story with me)....

Today was the first day of vet school for me, and the first day of grad school for my wife. Meanwhile, we have workers at the house finishing up the work they have been doing. There were 5 painters, 2 carpenters, 2 plumbers, and 2 tile guys. Mostly they are finishing our bathroom up finally (please keep on reading).

Anyway, today we had to leave the dogs and cat alone for a good part of the day in the house with all the commotion. Not ideal, but they are mostly used to it. We keep the dogs in a room with the door closed to stay out of trouble, and we leave the cat to go hide away from all the noise.

Anyway, when we got home, we had a lot going on, and a lot to talk about and do with the classes and stuff.

It wasn't until after dinner that we realized that we hadn't seen our cat since we got home. I assumed my wife had fed her, and my wife assumed I had taken care of her. We suddenly realized that neither of us had fed her, seen her, or heard of her. Now, she does like to disappear when there are visitors, but usually reappears when things are quiet.

We started going around the house calling her name (she will usually meow if she wants our attention). I finally heard her in the bathroom where all the work was being done, but the meow was faint and far away.

Where was she? She was "entombed" under the bathtub that had been sealed up with stone tiles. I tried to get to her, but the "access" panel was cemented shut instead of being left accessible (hence the name). So I just smashed the tiles, and out she popped.

She seems absolutely fine. It looks like she took refuge under the floor when the workers showed up and since she was so quiet no one noticed her there, and they just sealed up the tub. Luckily, there is plenty of space (and air) so she was no worse for wear.

Still, it seems a bad way to start things off. I knew my little ones would be getting less attention, but completely forgetting about our cat, and having her trapped inside there is a lousy, lousy feeling. Kind of makes me wonder what the hell I am doing here..

She is happily enjoying treats right now. She is a resilient little trooper. I can't imagine how noisy it must have been with them drilling, cutting, hammering, etc all day long.

Well, that is my rant. Sorry it is so long. I guess I feel really guilty right now. Makes it hard for me to care too much about the extrinsic muscles of the thoracic limb right now.

Still, it seems a bad way to start things off. I knew my little ones would be getting less attention, but completely forgetting about our cat, and having her trapped inside there is a lousy, lousy feeling. Kind of makes me wonder what the hell I am doing here..

Don't beat yourself up over it. Most cats are so independent that any owner wouldn't notice they were missing until they didn't show up for something they normally show up for. I accidentally trapped my cat under the sink right before I went out of town. I was in hysterics looking for him, thought I had accidentally let him out. He didn't cry or come running when I jingled his toys or opened cans of tuna or his treats. He must have been trapped under there for like 3 hours before I found him, but when I did finally find him, he was just sleeping like nothing was wrong.

I am extremely frustrated that my bank has still not sent me new checks for my account yet. The checks I currently have are for my old account, which no longer exists, so they are no good to me. I had to ask my mom today to write a check for my rent. How embarrassing. I have the money, but my apartment office won't take cash or debit card and I don't have any checks that I can use :(

I just found out today that the bank no longer thinks that I'm a student. They changed my account type and issued me a new credit card. I have no idea what they changed. I knew I should have paid attention to the messages in my online banking account! Around the time that the message was sent to me (in June), was around the time when Canada Post stopped delivering my mail and was returning it to sender. I still don't know why. I'm still getting mail that has my address blacked out with a permanent marker.

I'm so ready to have my refrigerator fixed. After getting things ready for the repairman to come tomorrow, I find a slow leak at the back of my shower!:mad:
No hot water for me.

Maybe one day things will work...one day:rolleyes:

I hate the 5000 character restriction for the PS. What do I hate more? That this character restriction includes spaces.:mad:

Last edited:
I just woke up to a cockroach crawling down my arm :scared: eww, eww, eww, EWW! The apartment office is getting called first thing in the morning and I want my apartment sprayed ASAP. Ugh, so much for being able to go back to sleep tonight :mad:

I've been home for 4 days and the boyfriend has only texted me once. I asked him if I should buy a webcam (he's going away for school this year and figured it would be nice if he could see me IF he decided to start talking to me more than once every 4 months on msn) and his response was "I don't actually have one anyway" and he hasn't returned any of my other texts.

I can't be in a long distance relationship with a guy who won't talk to me when I'm in the same city but claims he'll start talking to me when he moves next week.

If I were to break-up with him, my creepy guy friend will probably swoop in. He's kinda clingy and tells me he misses me all of the time. I feel like telling him to back off, but he's the only friend I have left back home.

I have a skin abscess that I lanced and drained myself. Took a swab of the pus and sent it off to the lab under my dogs name. Results come back today... I've got friggin MRSA!!! I'm on SMZ TMP 960 (I "borrowed") them from the clinic, and now, despite that the area is looking better, I have to go see a medical doctor. And of course, I don't have insurance. FML

I have a skin abscess that I lanced and drained myself. Took a swab of the pus and sent it off to the lab under my dogs name. Results come back today... I've got friggin MRSA!!! I'm on SMZ TMP 960 (I "borrowed") them from the clinic, and now, despite that the area is looking better, I have to go see a medical doctor. And of course, I don't have insurance. FML

uh...perhaps you shouldn't be mentioning that on a public forum...the whole causing your veterinarian to lose his license thing wouldn't be so cool for you letters of rec..

but holy cow that sucks that you have mrsa!! My husband's natural flaura is MRSA because he's worked in human medicine which means I probably carry the stuff too. Yummy. ;)

uh...perhaps you shouldn't be mentioning that on a public forum...the whole causing your veterinarian to lose his license thing wouldn't be so cool for you letters of rec..
Agreed. While it is a great rant, I would suggest removing the post.

Read my post over again. I did it all myself, the vet had nothing to do with I lanced it, I took the sample, I took the antibiotics. And since I didn't charge myself, it is NOT practicing without a license. My vet wasn't the most happy when he saw what I'd done (did over the weekend when no one was in there).

So yes, if he had done it there may be issues. But actually, if had represented himself as a vet and didn't charge me for it, it still wouldn't be practicing without a license.

I took the antibiotics. And since I didn't charge myself, it is NOT practicing without a license.

Just theft?

So you did a diagnostic test (culture) and purchased pills from a veterinarian, for yourself. Illegal and illegal.

Also you might wanna check that SMZ is even the right drug. That's not what I've seen used on human or animal patients with MRSA.

So hurricane Earl is upon me right now and the eye is supposed to hit us. My boyfriend hasn't even sent me a text telling me to be safe because, of course, he's running out of money on his phone. I texted him yesterday, telling him that he's breaking my heart by not taking 30 minutes out of his week to talk to me and that he was ignoring me. He said I was overreacting and that he was allowed to spend his final week with his friends. Haven't heard from him since.

Looks like I'll be starting the school year single.

So hurricane Earl is upon me right now and the eye is supposed to hit us. My boyfriend hasn't even sent me a text telling me to be safe because, of course, he's running out of money on his phone. I texted him yesterday, telling him that he's breaking my heart by not taking 30 minutes out of his week to talk to me and that he was ignoring me. He said I was overreacting and that he was allowed to spend his final week with his friends. Haven't heard from him since.

Looks like I'll be starting the school year single.

Kind of felt like I have been reading the screenplay from "he's just not that into you," every time you write about this guy.

Time for you to move on. No one should have to put up with a jerk like that.

Being single will be fun at the start of the school. You won't have to feel guilty having a good time before classes or for focusing on your studies after classes start.

I have a skin abscess that I lanced and drained myself. Took a swab of the pus and sent it off to the lab under my dogs name.

Uh, what about the people at the lab who were unknowingly working with a human sample?? Yes, all samples are considered infectious to a degree and handled with appropriate aseptic technique. However, being a clinical microbiology lab assistant I can tell you that there are special handling procedures for nonhuman primate samples that are quite different from those we use for canine samples.

You could be putting people's health at risk with your irresponsibility.

The TV stations in the UK absolutely suck. Suck.

Got anyone back home that could set up a Slingbox for you?

Rant for the day. Pulling stinging nettles out and performing courier duties is NOT part of my job description as an ANIMAL technician. I am sick of doing the job of three and a half people because the powers that be cant be bothered replacing the people who resigned! Aargh!

Uh, what about the people at the lab who were unknowingly working with a human sample?? Yes, all samples are considered infectious to a degree and handled with appropriate aseptic technique. However, being a clinical microbiology lab assistant I can tell you that there are special handling procedures for nonhuman primate samples that are quite different from those we use for canine samples.

You could be putting people's health at risk with your irresponsibility.

:thumbup:

i have zero clue what that is :laugh:, but i'm absolutely willing to try anything. thanks!! :love:
Oh. Essentially you hook up the box to a TV back home and then you can login online to watch whatever is available on the cable where the box is hooked up.

That's my understanding, at least. I'm sure you can find a much more coherent explanation on Google. It's popular in the football world where some games are blacked out due to network stupidity.

Alternatively, there's torrents if you just want single episodes of stuff (IE you know what you want vs just sitting down and turning on the television [or is it the 'telly'?]).

I really like Hulu too. It has a ton of old shows plus some limited episodes of new shows. Currently addicted to Covert Affairs :)

I was ALL excited for a paid day off yesterday, since it's a holiday and all, and I had to go in to take care of the clinic cats and hospitalized animals, which means I get time and a half for that time. And I had 800 things to do, like laundry, groceries, and working on essays for apps. Did any of those things happen? No. Of course not.

I got to work in the morning, and found a dead cat on our treeline. WTF? We're on a main road, but it didn't even look like a HBC. Just a dead cat in full rigor. Sigh. Of course I picked it up and put it in our freezer because I couldn't just leave it there.

Then, after a lovely fight with the BF, we got in the car to go to the grocery store. And there's a girl chasing a very skinny dog down the street. The main street. With heavy traffic. (Note to all: Do not stop for these things. It's a bad idea.) Of course I jumped out of the car to help, because I'm a *****. We chased the poor dog all the way down nearly to where I work, over a mile. The girl chasing just happened to see the dog and wanted to help. Said dog is a very skinny little female Boxer with a collar and a broken leash. FINALLY get close to her and of course she's scared, and I got myself bitten. ARG I'M SUCH A *****. :smack: Police finally show up, scare the dog away just as I'm about to get close enough to throw a leash on her. Then there's a police report, and of course I have to go to the ER. Which only takes 3 hours. I'm like look, I already soaked it and scrubbed it, I have a RX for abx from my LAST bite, and my tetanus shot is up to date. Fortunately everyone in the ER was extremely nice and actually kind of amused (this is why Cleveland is one of the top cities for health care), and they have valet parking for patients.
One of our rescuers got the dog about 5 minutes after the cops showed up - of course she jumped RIGHT in the car, and is now the sweetest thing on legs.

I'm off today, thankfully. You should see the email I sent to my boss last night "There's a dead cat in the freezer, oh and if this boxer that comes in tomorrow looks rabid, please let me know. Mondays are stupid." *throws hands in the air*

I can't get my GRE scores until I pay the $15.96 in taxes that they didn't include when I registered for the test. My parents sent them a cheque in the beginning of August and they're still saying I owe them money. It doesn't take a MONTH for a letter to go from Atlantic Canada to New Jersey and they won't let me pay the balance online. :mad: