RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Tell them that your goal as a food animal vet is to poison the food supply and kill off all people who eat meat, so that only vegetarians are left and the world will then be a better place. You pretend to eat meat as a front so people will trust you, but secretly, you're a hardcore vegan. They'll probably believe you and idolize you and you can secretly laugh at them.

:thumbup::D

Members don't see this ad.

The BF hurt his back at work really bad :(. He is trying to decide if he needs me to take him to the doc or not. It doesn't look good, really swollen on the left side, and when he thought he was standing up straight, he was leaning to the left really badly lol. He is rather dumb sometimes about anything medical related... he thinks he's going to work all day tomorrow when he can barely move right now :rolleyes:. From someone who's had back problems since childhood, he's not going anywhere lol.

been working on a case study for my animal ethics class - it is part of my final grade

all I can say is horse slaughter blows (do not want to start a debate as I am not an animal rights nut at all, just after doing research the whole topic makes me sad)

:(

Members don't see this ad :)
Apparently I don't care about animals, because I eat them. These girls are starting to really get on my nerves. I also can't support animal welfare groups, because I eat animals. Eating animals makes me evil. Come on! Ugh.

Hi! I don't know if you guys are still on this topic or not, but I just wanted to add that I've gotten this reaction from vegans as well. Apparently, only vegans are allowed to love animals! If that's true, then what a sad world we live in.... Don't get me wrong, I respect vegans because it takes so much discipline to live that way. I am vegetarian myself, but don't think I would consider veganism. This one girl, a friend of a friend, gave me the "I can't stand it when meat eaters claim to love animals!!" speech. What does she feed her cat? canned food with meat :rolleyes:

So I found this cookie recipe on Punchfork that I want to try and got really excited about possibly making this weekend to take to Penn State to bring to the tailgate for the game since it's Blue and White weekend. I even went out and bought a muffin top pan. I asked my bf how he felt cause he's iffy about cheesecake, although I'm sure others would eat them. Or just me. Haha. He feels like there will be too much junk food because he plans on making brownies. Psh. These look so much better than brownies. And it's tailgating for crying out loud! All you're doing is eating junk food and drinking. Nothing healthy about it.

Here's the recipe. I might just do it anyways.
http://picky-palate.com/2010/07/08/snickers-caramel-cheesecake-cookies/

Stupid rant, but one none the less.

The Penguins lost again which means the boyfriend will be in a pissy mood. Even more so than the last game because he spent $150+ to go to the actual game. At least we're in a long distance relationship so I don't personally have to deal with it, but still means I'm afraid to text him for the rest of night. And I'm bummed they lost as well, because I like them wayyy more than the Flyers, but it's not bothering me as much because the Red Wings won, which will piss him off as well.

Shoulda dated a Philly fan instead.

Apparently I don't care about animals, because I eat them. These girls are starting to really get on my nerves. I also can't support animal welfare groups, because I eat animals. Eating animals makes me evil. Come on! Ugh.

Do they hate all omnivores and carnivores or just humans? Maybe they should combine forces and get between an African lion and his or her next meal...

So I found this cookie recipe on Punchfork that I want to try and got really excited about possibly making this weekend to take to Penn State to bring to the tailgate for the game since it's Blue and White weekend. I even went out and bought a muffin top pan. I asked my bf how he felt cause he's iffy about cheesecake, although I'm sure others would eat them. Or just me. Haha. He feels like there will be too much junk food because he plans on making brownies. Psh. These look so much better than brownies. And it's tailgating for crying out loud! All you're doing is eating junk food and drinking. Nothing healthy about it.

Here's the recipe. I might just do it anyways.
http://picky-palate.com/2010/07/08/snickers-caramel-cheesecake-cookies/

:wow: please make, eat, and enjoy these for me!!! these look wayyy better than brownies (he's just worried yours will be more popular because it will be!!)

I hate complaining and even thinking I should post on here but since I'm a few glasses of wine in, here goes nothing.

I came home to my parents this weekend for the first time since i've been accepted to UTK and was super stoked about being with them to celebrate. We planned this trip beforehand as my brother's birthday was this week too. perfect timing to all be together to celebrate. WRONG!

Its always been a running joke that he is the "favorite" child but its getting out of hand. I get home, before he does and I am handed a piece of paper with how much I've cost my parents the past four years compared to him and how I now will need to pay them and my future costs for vet school. i've been extremely blessed and I understand that they want us to be equal so they will support my living expenses and i will pay for school. again, i know i've very very fortunate. but it would have been nice to get a hug and say congrats, maybe a balloon?, instead of a bill of how my life is more expensive than his (he's in business and has a full time job since about 20). When steve arrives home, he is handed an ipad for his birthday.

Now, dinner celebration. A cake for Steve. A lobster and steak dinner for Steve. I make my own pasta and I went to target and bought some UTK sweatpants. That's my celebration. Comfortable pants, but no cake. Dinner conversation, Steve's job and how awesome he is. I try to turn it to vet school but the response is "told you that you should apply to UTK, but no you didn't want to. told you so!"

I hate complaining on here because I am so so fortunate to have an acceptance but it would have been nice to feel that from my family :(

Cshep09 that really does suck I'm so sorry. Yes you are fortunately but that in no way takes away your right to celebrate or that it would be really nice to get some validation from your parents. I hope they come to their senses and realize what an accomplishment it is!!!!!!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

I hate complaining and even thinking I should post on here but since I'm a few glasses of wine in, here goes nothing.

I came home to my parents this weekend for the first time since i've been accepted to UTK and was super stoked about being with them to celebrate. We planned this trip beforehand as my brother's birthday was this week too. perfect timing to all be together to celebrate. WRONG!

Its always been a running joke that he is the "favorite" child but its getting out of hand. I get home, before he does and I am handed a piece of paper with how much I've cost my parents the past four years compared to him and how I now will need to pay them and my future costs for vet school. i've been extremely blessed and I understand that they want us to be equal so they will support my living expenses and i will pay for school. again, i know i've very very fortunate. but it would have been nice to get a hug and say congrats, maybe a balloon?, instead of a bill of how my life is more expensive than his (he's in business and has a full time job since about 20). When steve arrives home, he is handed an ipad for his birthday.

Now, dinner celebration. A cake for Steve. A lobster and steak dinner for Steve. I make my own pasta and I went to target and bought some UTK sweatpants. That's my celebration. Comfortable pants, but no cake. Dinner conversation, Steve's job and how awesome he is. I try to turn it to vet school but the response is "told you that you should apply to UTK, but no you didn't want to. told you so!"

I hate complaining on here because I am so so fortunate to have an acceptance but it would have been nice to feel that from my family :(

I can totally relate to this. I haven't even told my parents yet that I am moving to CA for vet school. Why? Because they will pout and sulk and the world will end, etc. Last year when I got an interview, the response was, "Oh. Well, let us know how it goes." No congrats, certainly no excitement, nothing. If it had been a school within driving distance (meaning 1-2 hours), they may have been a little happy about it. I didn't even mention my interview this year, and am actually dreading telling them that I was accepted. My sister moved to Philadelphia for a job and you would have thought the world was ending then. My parents have not supported me since I graduated high school, yet they feel compelled to give their opinion and generally whine and complain about everything that I do. So I don't tell them. And I celebrate on my own, because I can't change them. They are entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to sit around and listen to it. At least my sisters are happy for me.

But I do feel your pain, cshep09.

Members don't see this ad :)
Marsala. That sucks.

But MY mom was happy for you. Does that count??? You and I can have our own celebration lobster party at your new house with all your thug pugs.

And I am very blessed to have parents (and apparently certain family members) who support me and are now bragging to total strangers about me. Kinda weird.

I can totally relate to this. I haven't even told my parents yet that I am moving to CA for vet school. Why? Because they will pout and sulk and the world will end, etc. Last year when I got an interview, the response was, "Oh. Well, let us know how it goes." No congrats, certainly no excitement, nothing. If it had been a school within driving distance (meaning 1-2 hours), they may have been a little happy about it. I didn't even mention my interview this year, and am actually dreading telling them that I was accepted. My sister moved to Philadelphia for a job and you would have thought the world was ending then. My parents have not supported me since I graduated high school, yet they feel compelled to give their opinion and generally whine and complain about everything that I do. So I don't tell them. And I celebrate on my own, because I can't change them. They are entitled to their opinion, but that doesn't mean I have to sit around and listen to it. At least my sisters are happy for me.

But I do feel your pain, cshep09.
:thumbup:. Well I am proud of you, and not just for getting into vet school. I have seen sometimes the hardest thing to do is to succeed despite one's parents (although mine haven't been bad). It's your life, and oftentimes parents just don't understand that their children have different live and life goals!

Marsala. That sucks.

But MY mom was happy for you. Does that count??? You and I can have our own celebration lobster party at your new house with all your thug pugs.

And I am very blessed to have parents (and apparently certain family members) who support me and are now bragging to total strangers about me. Kinda weird.

My brother's best friend - who I hate - apparently brags about me. How smart his best friend's sister is. Etc. He thinks it's for sure that I'm getting into vet school and he will talk to people about it. Not sure how I feel about that... And I'm not even close to getting into vet school..

My rant: I hate narcotics. Don't understand why people willingly use them.
My brain gets scrambled, can't see straight, I itch, and I get nauseous. What's not to like.

Oh wait.... pain relief setting in. Ahhhhhhh.

Heads I'm ****ed, tails i'm ****ed.

My brother's best friend - who I hate - apparently brags about me. How smart his best friend's sister is. Etc. He thinks it's for sure that I'm getting into vet school and he will talk to people about it. Not sure how I feel about that... And I'm not even close to getting into vet school..

Best friends mom does that to me. Even back in high school she would tell random people I was going to be a vet. Then undergrad = in vet school, and now she refers to me as the veterinarian and calls me all the time asking for medical advice.
I wish it was as easy as she makes it sound!

My brain gets scrambled, can't see straight, I itch, and I get nauseous. What's not to like.

Are you sure you're not allergic to morphine? I am. And I get really itchy, get hives, and :barf:constantly. Unfortunately I was only made aware of this after exhausting my 4 hours of morphine in 30 minutes with my faulty morphine button pump after surgery :D... oops!

Cshep and Marsala,

First of all,
CONGRATULATIONS on your amazing accomplishment! Seriously, some people just don't understand how tough this is, and that's why we have SDN to celebrate with people who truly know what an accomplishment it actually is! You guys rock, congrats!
Now, I know SDN cannot replace the feeling of proud parents, and I have been there myself and understand. I have done nothing but be practically the perfect daughter, but it was never enough. My brother... still lives at home at 23 and goes from job to job, sits on the back porch and smokes weed (I love my brother, but for arguments sake...). Me... I have had a job since I was 15, my parents have never paid for a penny of my expenses since then, I went to a good college with a full scholarship, got great grades, graduated, got a wonderful job (that I still am scared to leave for vet school), and accepted to vet school.
My dad thinks veterinarians are useless and that animals are "just animals, why do they need a doctor?" :rolleyes: He's the same person who when I would bring home a straight As would say "Why not A+s?" Because they don't exist here, Dad... highschool dropout Dad!:rolleyes:
I got into a few schools for undergrad including UF, and I chose FSU... he wanted me to go to UF (like he knows anything about school lol). Now that I got into UF, he is finally ok to tell people where I go to school. REALLY DAD?!?!?!
My brother? Everything is still paid for, he doesn't pay rent, food, bills, nothing. Just sits there and is the favorite sibling... :p on them!
I'm sorry you all are going through even worse than this. I can't even believe you haven't been able to celebrate with your families. I haven't either since I live across the country, but I'm sure if I went home, there would be some sort of celebration. Mostly because my dad likes to make himself look good to other people, not to actually be proud of me lol.
If you all need to celebrate over the top, we can have an online SDN party!!! :hardy:We all recognize and commend you on your amazing accomplishment! Here is cake and balloons for you!
Birthday-Cake-Balloons.jpg

Last edited:
Not so much a rant, more of a prattle.

Taking a break at work. Got here 3 hours earlier than my normal start time. Waiting for the bagel shop down the street to open so I can get my lunch later (which will actually be my breakfast). The good news though is I am going to go to a baseball game this afternoon.

Emiloo, thanks for the cake and balloons!

SOV, TW, and Emiloo (and everyone else): thanks for the support! I really appreciate it. I was just posting to let cshep know that they are not alone, not really as my own rant. I know I can't change my parents (Emiloo, I have a slacker, live at home, parasitic sister), so I just do my thing.

TW, I love that your mom is proud of me, lol. We can have a pug party, soon as I move into my sweet new digs.

Attachments

• resize pug life.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
there needs to be a like button for your post Emiloo!

Cshep and Marsala, you should be thrilled! ... the family may not get it... but the SDNers do and we are so happy to see you succeed! :D :D :D

so, Congratulations x 1,000,000 (to make up for all the excitement you family is supposed to have)
:soexcited::soexcited::soexcited::soexcited: :biglove:

That is the best cake I've ever had, THANK YOU!! Thanks everybody for letting me indulge my rant. After I posted the original, my mom came upstairs to investigate why I have been so grumpy, I explained. She knows that they dropped the ball and Ill probably look back on getting into vetschool as meh. So now I feel like a bad daughter haha. whatever, I'm still thrilled about the fall and my future, nobody can take that away!

That is the best cake I've ever had, THANK YOU!! So now I feel like a bad daughter haha. whatever, I'm still thrilled about the fall and my future, nobody can take that away!

SO glad you liked it, I made it myself :D;)

And yes, no one can take anything away from you! Enjoy this moment and make your own memories of what getting into vet school feels like! :hardy:

I wish you all could have seen the first time I posted the cake picture... it was a huge picture of a family of four random people lol... I came back on this thread a few minutes later and was like :eek:!!!
:laugh:

I wish you all could have seen the first time I posted the cake picture... it was a huge picture of a family of four random people lol... I came back on this thread a few minutes later and was like :eek:!!!
:laugh:

LOL that's funny.

And also I'm hoping everyone's families realize what an amazing accomplishment getting into vet school is! No matter where you go! I'm proud of you all!

Sent from my SPH-M910 using SDN Mobile

Ah I get this too SOV.

I would definately make the WORST druggie ever. When I had appendicitis, I hated the sensation of morphine so much that I asked them to not give it to me again. They were like :eek: Not what people usually say!

So you definately have my sympathies!

Are you sure you're not allergic to morphine? I am. And I get really itchy, get hives, and :barf:constantly. Unfortunately I was only made aware of this after exhausting my 4 hours of morphine in 30 minutes with my faulty morphine button pump after surgery :D... oops!

Being itchy is actually a completely normal side effect of opiates like morphine because they causes histamine release (actually, very similar to many types of allergies!). Nausea and vomiting are also pretty normal side effects. Guess you just get them to too extreme of a point!

Being itchy is actually a completely normal side effect of opiates like morphine because they causes histamine release (actually, very similar to many types of allergies!). Nausea and vomiting are also pretty normal side effects. Guess you just get them to too extreme of a point!

Yeah, I've been deemed allergic due to the hives I get. They said the nausea and vomiting is "normal", but the hives are what classifies it as an allergy I guess? :confused: It also affects my respiratory system pretty quickly.

So... for the past week or so my pooch has seemed pretty down in the dumps. She just seems really depressed and not her usually perky happy self :( I guess I will be taking her to the vet next week.

Vegans don't eat honey? That is going too far, bees make honey naturally and don't die in the process. I don't get it.
Also, you can't make chickens stop producing eggs and if you don't milk lactating cows they would be pretty uncomfortable. I realize that the mass production of eggs and milk can be seen as less than animal friendly, but what about backyard chickens? I know many who have great chicken lives. Why is it wrong to eat those eggs? What else would you do with them?

Would the cows he uncomfortable if they could keep their calves to nurse though?

Always leaving the calves with the heifers, hittin' the bottle, staying out too late...
I'm telling ya, they could make a new tv show- teen mom dairy cow edition :laugh:

Vegans don't eat honey? That is going too far, bees make honey naturally and don't die in the process. I don't get it.
Also, you can't make chickens stop producing eggs and if you don't milk lactating cows they would be pretty uncomfortable. I realize that the mass production of eggs and milk can be seen as less than animal friendly, but what about backyard chickens? I know many who have great chicken lives. Why is it wrong to eat those eggs? What else would you do with them?

I have a friend who is both vegan and a vet. She has said that if farming practices were more humane and sustainable, she would have no problem with eating meat/dairy products, etc. She wishes that I lived closer because she said she would definitely eat eggs from my backyard flock/pets. I don't think she has an issue with honey.

My other vegan/vet friend (is it odd that I know more than one?!?) who is really militant tried to tell me (an entomologist) that honey production exploits bees. It doesn't. You can't reason with her, though. She fails to understand that a number of medications require animal products for production, people eat bugs when they are sleeping, and don't get me started on insects in food products. I have a whole lecture that I give on that, and if more people knew about it, sales of peanut butter, chocolate, ketchup, and most canned goods would probably plummet. This particular vegan/vet friend thinks that all farm animals should be released to run free. A little nutty? Yep. But she's not all bad. :laugh:

honey production exploits bees.

This is where a lot of the radical vegans go to rationalize. They claim anything using animal products exploits animals for the use of humans, and it is wrong. They think animals should never be used for the benefit of humans... if that's the case, no one should have companion animals either. Because just my dog walking around benefits my mood and well being, so maybe none of us should own animals either? :rolleyes:

small rant, but does vet school ever reach a point where active and creative thought processes are no longer penalized but encouraged? why does my reasoning and thinking have to fit into the exact model that someone else has determined if I get to the same conclusion and (in the case I'm annoyed about) choose the correct diagnostics that would give me the answer to the case? Especially if I reason through things logically?

It reminds me of the math courses I had in middle school that almost turned me off of math even though I'm really good at it and really enjoy it. I don't really want that to happen here...

This is where a lot of the radical vegans go to rationalize. They claim anything using animal products exploits animals for the use of humans, and it is wrong. They think animals should never be used for the benefit of humans... if that's the case, no one should have companion animals either. Because just my dog walking around benefits my mood and well being, so maybe none of us should own animals either? :rolleyes:

animal rights extremists would tell you that you are exploiting your dog for your own selfish reasons. You are enslaving your dog, essentially.:rolleyes:

small rant, but does vet school ever reach a point where active and creative thought processes are no longer penalized but encouraged? why does my reasoning and thinking have to fit into the exact model that someone else has determined if I get to the same conclusion and (in the case I'm annoyed about) choose the correct diagnostics that would give me the answer to the case? Especially if I reason through things logically?

It reminds me of the math courses I had in middle school that almost turned me off of math even though I'm really good at it and really enjoy it. I don't really want that to happen here...

No. You kind of get to be more creative in clinics, but they are the same teachers.

I always had to teach myself things in ways that make sense to me. Including cascades/physiology. As a result, I know this stuff and can tell you about it in my own words and get the same end result. But when they are looking for specific steps along their process, it can be frustrating.

animal rights extremists would tell you that you are exploiting your dog for your own selfish reasons. You are enslaving your dog, essentially.:rolleyes:

Yep, exactly!
I learned a lot about this when preparing for the animal rights vs animal welfare common interview question... it's nutso! Sorry, but it is, and that's my stance on it! You think I'm horrible for enslaving my dog with an awesome life? Then I think you're a whack job for thinking it :D

No. You kind of get to be more creative in clinics, but they are the same teachers.

I always had to teach myself things in ways that make sense to me. Including cascades/physiology. As a result, I know this stuff and can tell you about it in my own words and get the same end result. But when they are looking for specific steps along their process, it can be frustrating.

Blech, these *******s HAVE to understand that the people who actually end up advancing the field are the ones who DON'T think like everyone else. I'm so done with this juvenile crap.

Honestly, in CLIN PATH of all things, no thinking allowed. Even though the clinical pathologists who teach our course tend to disagree with each other on things more than they agree.

That's what PETA essentially seems to want. That girl I talked to doesn't believe me though. She thinks PETA wants to end pet ownership, but approves of animals being our companions. I thought PETA just doesn't want us to interact with animals at all anymore...

That's what PETA essentially seems to want. That girl I talked to doesn't believe me though. She thinks PETA wants to end pet ownership, but approves of animals being our companions. I thought PETA just doesn't want us to interact with animals at all anymore...

Essentially they (PETA and HSUS) want to end people having pets. I mean, come on, it's just Stockholm Syndrome that any of our pets even tolerate us, right?

Blech, these *******s HAVE to understand that the people who actually end up advancing the field are the ones who DON'T think like everyone else. I'm so done with this juvenile crap.

Honestly, in CLIN PATH of all things, no thinking allowed. Even though the clinical pathologists who teach our course tend to disagree with each other on things more than they agree.

I got to the point in vet school where I stopped trying to learn it the way they wanted and learned it the way I wanted. It led to a lot less study time.

Essentially they (PETA and HSUS) want to end people having pets. I mean, come on, it's just Stockholm Syndrome that any of our pets even tolerate us, right?

We should just let all of our pets run free to catch diseases and suffer slow, painful deaths. :thumbup: Then they can eat "natural diets" and mate with whoever they want, and they'll all be one big happy, healthy, well-fed family!