RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It seems like the only thing these women with PhDs learned the whole time they were in school was how to be a B****. PhD has become the new acronym for b****, which is bad because I just got accepted to a PhD program that I may start in the fall if I don't get called off a waitlist for vet school and I really don't want to A. work with people like these B. become a self absorbed B**** like them. boo on you Dr. B**** for giving the majority of hard working and smart women who earned a PhD a bad rep.

HopefulAG- I HATE, LOATHE, DETEST verizon. They SUCK. I have spoken, the end.

variegata-Italy should have won that game. How many shots did they have? A ton? Geez. And New Zealand had one...the whole game!!!! But I am the type to root for the underdogs so I was happy for NZ, their goalie was awesome.

SoBeVet-The French need to get over themselves. I bet they are doing this for attention. Didn't someone form Mexico start something like this at the beginning of the tournament? What ever happened with that...nothing. What probably going to happen with the French? Nothing. But the whole thing is kinda funny in a this-is-pathetic-for-such-a-highly-ranked-team-and-I'm-glad-I'm-not-French-because-this-is-embarrassing way.

GellaBella-Her dissertation defense was only 30 min!? I had a vet school interview that lasted longer than that, geez and where's my PhD or even vet school acceptance?

twelvetigers-a rant is not enough to express anything about being let into vet school...you would need a book, a book so big with so many pages this book by itself could fill the library of congress.

I finally have a mini rant-I went out to the store to get MMs for the Brasil and Ivory Coast game (in case i haven't made it clear, I love and am in love with soccer. I've been playing since I was 3, watched every qualifying match and haven't missed a whole game this tournament. Soccer is essentially my religion) and saw a turtle in the middle of a very busy road, tucked into his little shell waiting to finish crossing the road. So being the turtle lover I am, I even wrote my undergrad thesis on turtles, I pulled over, got the turtle from the road, bought him to the other side and was rewarded with a ticket for relocating the turtle. Yes I know the turtles where I live are endangered...all the more reason for me to move the turtle so it wouldn't get crushed by a stupid teenager and the species can live on through the destruction of their habitat by us humans. Thanks cop, thanks.

On a side note, I'm watching the Brasil and Ivory Coast game and the cheers for Brasil are finally but only periodically overpowering the horns. Very refreshing for the ears.

Members don't see this ad.

My rant: **** Verizon. **** them and their new ****ty $10 a month mandatory data package for anything but the simplest of all phones. I can't upgrade now because I adamantly refuse to pay that fee. What's worse is it scales, so if you want something like the Samsung Rogue (my choice) it's $10 a month extra on top of the regular fees for your service contract, but if you want something like one of the Android phones, that's an extra $30 a month, so tack on $360 a year extra just for your phone. **** you Verizon! I refuse, I refuse, I. REFUSE. to upgrade nor renew my contract until that mandatory data package and its blasted fee is made optional. I do not need to access the web on my phone and will not pay to do so when I don't even use it.
ARRBLGARRBLGRAHH MOTHER**** YES.

I've been pretty happy with Verizon for six years now. I was telling my sister last month that I was reluctant to get an iPhone because I was content with VZN and didn't really want to switch to ATT if I didn't have to.

I send maybe a dozen texts a month, and fewer photos. I never access the Web on my phone (even though I could). So yes, **** those ********ers at VZN and their mother ****ing $10 fee. **** that ****! My contract expires in a year, and when it does I'm getting an iPhone.

Okay, I'm having waaay too much fun trying to see how many asterisks I can get into one comment...:laugh:

I have two younger siblings, and they have given the duty of feeding/giving the cat water to the older one since I've been gone. Every time I've been home and checked the cat's water bowl, he has had no water.

He's a older kitty, so you know, I'd prefer if he was hydrated all of the time. I've brought this up repeatedly, insisting that it's important that the cat gets water everyday. They've brushed me off like I'm overreacting and insisted that my sibling has been doing his duty daily (though it takes over 2 days for the cat to drink all of the water from his pretty sizable bowl).

I discovered he didn't have water for the umpteenth time the other day, and packed him up into his cat carrier with a week's worth of food. He is currently sitting next to me on the couch in my cat-forbidden apartment.
How often do you go home to visit? If it's once a week or so, maybe getting a pet waterer with a large reservoir will do the trick--something like this, or maybe this. They come in smaller sizes too, but if your family's that neglectful it's better to go larger than risk running out.

You'll still have to go clean it, because if your family doesn't get that Kitty needs access to fresh water all the time I doubt they'll bother maintaining the waterer either. But at least you can do that on your visits home, knowing in the meantime that your cat will have always water.

Reactions: 1 user
My brother just made a discovery concerning the buzz sound.

We noticed that if you watch the game in English on ABC, they lowered a bit the background noise (also the voice commentator is a lot clearer).

On Univision for the Mexican commentator, the background noise is a lot louder.

Shame though cuz I enjoy watching the game more with the mexican guy. Gotta love how they scream out goals and say stories about random things that somehow pertains to soccer. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank goodness this b**** is out of our lives, so I'm not as fuming as usual about her, but since there's a thread, here goes...

I work in a tiny lab with 2 faculty researchers, 2 technicians, 1 post-doc, and 1 MD fellow (plus the PI who never sets foot in the lab). The post-doc is probably the biggest nightmare this lab will NEVER forget. Because:

She is a mega dumbf*ck b****. She screams at her boss when she hears what she doesn't want to hear. This shouting match goes on for at least 30 min sometimes in the middle of our lab, making it very uncomfortable for everyone else. So the rest of us have to swiftly make an exit to another room and chill there until they're done. Once the boss leaves and we go back into the room, she corners all of us and starts bawling "I only got a PhD because I hate being bossed around, and I thought if I got a PhD, no one would be able to boss me around!" :eek:

She tells the new technician (on her first week) who had a slight cough that she should have taken the day off. The technician says that she's not that sick, and besides she hasn't accrued earned time yet. Then she goes "well, my dad in NY has cancer, and if i catch anything from you and i go visit him in the next few weeks, he's going to die!"

She also told the new technician, "no offense, but YOU should not be wearing a size small or extra-small" hmmmm....

I was talking about how I personally have no idea what my mom saw in my dad when they first started dating because based on what she told me, my dad was a terrible date. Then this b**** tells me that I don't know enough about them to make that kind of judgment. to which I was thinking "well duh... they're still happily married after 4 kids and 30 yrs of marriage, obviously something worked" But then, just after SHE told ME that I didn't know enough about my own parents to judge their relationship, she goes "I hope you don't get married to your boyfriend, because he sounds like a LOSER" :mad:

Her favorite topics are politically charged topics that have no place in the work environment (e.g. abortion), and she chastises everyone who doesn't agree with her.

Her other favorite topic is about how she hates douchebag PhDs who are stuck up about the letters they have after their name, and how she's not like that at all. However, she is the first person to bring up in any conversation she can that she should be treated differently because of her credentials. She tells our pathologist (who was doing her a favor by reading her brain slides) that perhaps she should "help" her since as an MD she doesn't have the expertise that a PhD might... Talk about insulting! Also, we have issues with environmental services bringing us biohazard bins when we need extras. Someone will call and just say "hi, can we have 10 bins delivered to room ____" and they'll say "Sure!" but for some reason it doesn't happen. B**** will then be like "maybe I should call, 'cause I think they might listen if someone with a degree called." Um... what the hell was she planning on saying to indicate that she had a degree???

She was also the dumbf*** who thought that not eating sugar was going to prevent her from getting fat. So she refused to eat anything with sugar (as in added granulated sugar). But instead she would eat a whole bag of dried mangoes in one sitting (like a whopping 1000 calories in that bag), or a whole can of macadamia nuts. But apparently she liked to bake ****. So she comes in with this tupperware filled with pieces of this nasty looking chocolate cake. She tried baking one for her friend and f*cked up so the cake ended up flat instead of fluffy. She explains this to us and goes "so I dunno how good it is because i didn't taste it, because you know, I don't eat sugar. But I thought you guys would enjoy it so go ahead and dig in." Throughout the day, we all kind of opened up the tupperware to take a look... but the thing had dog hair (she has this nasty chow that's bitten two children) all over it, sticking out of the sponge... so we all just left it there. At the end of the day, b**** was infuriated that no one ate it and goes "Fine, I'll take it to the dog park people, cause I'm sure they'll appreciate it. I guess this means I'll never be bringing anything for you people!"

She was so incompetent at her job that everyone in the lab had to come in on our thanksgiving weekend (plus many others) to dissect out embryo brains. After we finished the dissection, my boss and I disappeared to the animal facility to check on the mouse colony, and when we came back, the b**** had left with 4 people's worth of dissection set ups left out(bloody surgical instruments and all) as well as a bunch of other things for ME to clean! We even have an explicit policy in the lab that technicians are NOT there to do chores for post-docs. My boss was FURIOUS! He ended up cleaning with me and was like "why is it that we get called in on our Thanksgiving weekend because she doesn't know how to plan well, and we end up with the cleaning?"

Ugh... there are so many more of these infuriating stories, but I'ma gonna stop now. Only thing is that if it was just an abrasive personality, I could deal with it, but this chick was soooo incompetent... It was difficult when she sucked and couldn't do a thing right, and I was told to fix something for her by my boss, but I had to tip toe ever so lightly as not to offend her mighty degree.

She has a PhD in molecular biology... but she can't do a single thing! like literally. She had 1 paper published in all of her 7 years grad school + 3 yrs post-doc. And that last paper only got published because her experiments had to be done in duplicate by other people in the lab. She can't do DNA or RNA extractions (and she doesn't even notice when her OD readings are way off). She can't do PCR (in the past she's used 2 forward primers, didn't heat the lid, only ran it for one cycle, her stock primer was growing bacteria). She can't clone (she doesn't know how to pick the right enzymes, she tries to ligate things that don't have compatible ends, doesn't know how much insert/vector to use, she tried to ligate insert/vectors that both lacked phosphates, etc...). EVERYTIME something goes wrong though, she'd ask me to order super expensive reagents because she thought the stuff we were using wasn't good enough for her experiments :confused:. She also doesn't understand scientific notation, and we realized 2 years in that all of her calculations were off by a factor of 10. And everytime I'm talking to someone on troubleshooting an experiment I'm working on, and we're going through logical breakdowns of where something went wrong, she has to bust in and start suggesting the stupidest ****. and EVERYTIME, I have to find a way to politely decline her suggestion because any organism with a brain could tell that it would not help. But she would be offended anyway.

ugh. oh well. she's gone now. and as my boss says "she's someone else's problem now" but it does feel good to get it off my chest :)

Where did she end up going??

How often do you go home to visit? If it's once a week or so, maybe getting a pet waterer with a large reservoir will do the trick--something like this, or maybe this. They come in smaller sizes too, but if your family's that neglectful it's better to go larger than risk running out.

You'll still have to go clean it, because if your family doesn't get that Kitty needs access to fresh water all the time I doubt they'll bother maintaining the waterer either. But at least you can do that on your visits home, knowing in the meantime that your cat will have always water.

Thank you! That is a great solution, and I can get home often enough to clean it.

My rant: **** Verizon. **** them and their new ****ty $10 a month mandatory data package for anything but the simplest of all phones. I can't upgrade now because I adamantly refuse to pay that fee. What's worse is it scales, so if you want something like the Samsung Rogue (my choice) it's $10 a month extra on top of the regular fees for your service contract, but if you want something like one of the Android phones, that's an extra $30 a month, so tack on $360 a year extra just for your phone. **** you Verizon! I refuse, I refuse, I. REFUSE. to upgrade nor renew my contract until that mandatory data package and its blasted fee is made optional. I do not need to access the web on my phone and will not pay to do so when I don't even use it.

Today, my phone decided that it wasn't going to call other cell phones anymore. So, we went to the Verizon store, and they had no idea. So, after two freakin hours on the phone, we finally got it fixed. They had us doing everything possible to the phone and nothing worked, they were quite nice, but they had no idea what was going on either. Finally, the man switched my number to a test phone and apparently I somehow had calls being forwarded to a five digit number. No clue how that happenned.

The other thing I have to rant about is I recently started working at Walmart. Well, apparently, this makes me an expert on everything we sell in my department (bakery) and most of the stuff we sell comes in frozen and I don't really help prepare it. I try, but I don't always have their answers nor do the people that I work with and people don't always take this nicely.

In addition, I've already gotten screamed at because the first time someone wanted me to transfer them on the phone I was working alone (and it was the first time I was suppossed to answer the phone anyway) and I explained to the women that I didn't know how because I had only started a few days ago and there was really no one else around that wasn't busy at the moment with a customer and it would be easier for HER if she just called back on the main Walmart number that she originally called on (she wanted transferred back to hardware because apparently they didn't want to listen to her ****). She was extremely rude throughout the whole phone call and started screaming at me that she was not calling back and I needed to get someone to show me how to transfer her. It didn't bother me that she wanted transferred, but she could of been a little nicer about it.

My rant: manager who hired me for Job B didn't actually talk to manager in charge of scheduling for Job B. Based on conversation with hiring manager, I cut all my pm hours with Job A in order to work Job B. Turns out that scheduling manager can't give me a consistent schedule and wants me to work as needed based on case load. The upshot: I only have 15-20 hours of steady work a week with Job A and I'm afraid to schedule anything in the afternoon (doctor's appointments, car repairs) for fear that Job B will decide that they want me to work then, and I really need to money. :mad:
Good thing this is only for six weeks.
GRRRRRRRRR.

Throughout the day, we all kind of opened up the tupperware to take a look... but the thing had dog hair (she has this nasty chow that's bitten two children) all over it, sticking out of the sponge... so we all just left it there.

Hahahaha I literally just laughed outloud--seriously everyone in the library is looking at me strangely. :laugh::laugh: Although I probably shouldn't laugh since just about everything I eat has cat hair in it--I've given up fighting a losing battle.

FYI for all those ranting over cell phone company charges....I use Boost Mobile. $50 a month, unlimited talk, long distance, text, +/- two-way radio and internet (depending on phone model) with no extra charges and NO CONTRACT. Just today they released the Motorola i1 (their equivalent to the iphone). Which is now the first item on my x-mas list this year! :D
Its $350 bucks but they also have less expensive varieties. The phone I use now was only $99. The service is okay depending on your area, so ask around and if you have good sprint coverage then your boost coverage should be pretty decent. Im not trying to be a spokesman for Boost, but frankly...fees and contracts....Pi** me the he** off!!!! :mad:

thanks guys! Misery loves company, though...so please y'all vent away. I would love to be one-upped cause this is how i feel right now :boom:

I havent eaten since April 13th. Face surgery, all my food comes in a slurry. ****, I'm so hungry. I had some complications so now I have to get a disability waiver for school because I'm required to go see my doctor during school hours and he's conveniently located a seven hour drive from school. Awesome.

On the bright side, I look like a supermodel, at least until I'm allowed to eat again.

Also, gdi France I've stuck by you so long. 98 was so great! 2002 was a heap of **** and I defended you in 06, and I stood by through all those pitiful Euro cups. But really? <Va te faire enculer, sale fils de pute> is more than I can handle on the cover of L'Equipe! I must now revert to my old standby for this world cup. Hup Oranje!

*watches as the words zip past over her head*

Nope, don't speak french. I can say a few nasty things in Italian though!

Okay, so I'm not complaining about AT&T because, though their service is admittedly less than stellar, I absolutely adore my iPhone. No major issues aside from dropped calls at times, and they have some cheaper internet plans for the phone now - $15 for 200 MB, which is enough for me, and I'm on there all the damn time! If you go over, they charge $10 more and give you another 200 MB. It's not too bad. They have a 2 GB package too.

ANYWAY, though, this is a story about something they did to me about a year and a half ago that still has me flabbergasted to this day.

I called at one point to extend my ring time. That is, I called normal customer service to request that, when someone calls, it rings a little bit longer before it goes to my voice mail message. I think the max time is ~30 sec of ring.

Well, it works. But, SOMEHOW, when it should go to MY voicemail, it instead calls a secondary number - a machine shop in Michigan.

So I call my own damn cell phone number, and I end up on the phone with this angry guy in Lansing asking me why the hell people keep calling for this one girl with a weird name. I explain to him what seems to have happened, and I think his head might have exploded. I vowed to fix the situation promptly.

So I was back on the phone with customer service, at the clinic and on the clinic phone (I had no where else to call from) for TWO HOURS while they tried to figure out who changed a setting where. Then I get disconnected. Arrrrgh!

The husband calls and it's fixed in five minutes. Go figure.

Anyway, cheers to the lovely lady at AT&T who managed to mess something up that much. Lol.

The other thing I have to rant about is I recently started working at Walmart. Well, apparently, this makes me an expert on everything we sell in my department (bakery) and most of the stuff we sell comes in frozen and I don't really help prepare it. I try, but I don't always have their answers nor do the people that I work with and people don't always take this nicely.

What exactly do they have to get angry about? It's cake, it's delicious. End of story, one would think.

Well, it works. But, SOMEHOW, when it should go to MY voicemail, it instead calls a secondary number - a machine shop in Michigan.

Sometimes all you can do is laugh, because a screwup of those proportions is pretty epic. How do you botch an extension into a completely different act? At least it wasn't forwarding to 911 or some such.

Members don't see this ad :)
At least it wasn't forwarding to 911 or some such.

about 10 yrs ago (eek! lol) we had just moved across the country and were setting up in our new apartment. this was in the yr 2000 and we didnt have cable and so we did dial up through aol (ahhh this was so long ago!!! lol) anyway, it is dialing...you hear the normal start up noises...and then all the sudden this mans voice is coming thru our computer "911 what's your problem?" we were like OMGGG wtfff of course we cant talk back because this was our dial up internet lol we called 911 and told them what happened and canceled the firetrucks and police car that were on our way. i still dont understand how that could possibly happen. anyway, strange but true story

So I went to a smallish private school for undergrad and rarely had problems with red tape. Now I'm going to vet school at a big a** state school and holy moly, I didn't think this much red tape was possible.

I had to send the financial aid department a copy of my acceptance letter FROM THE UNIVERSITY! Seriously? Apparently though, that acceptance letter wasn't official enough. So I don't have a f*$%in financial aid package!!!!! They don't think I'm officially a student even though I'm already enrolled in classes for the fall.

If I don't get a decent financial aid package, I can't go to vet school. I have never torn someone a new a**hole, but there's a first time for everything.

I had to send the financial aid department a copy of my acceptance letter FROM THE UNIVERSITY! Seriously? Apparently though, that acceptance letter wasn't official enough. So I don't have a f*$%in financial aid package!!!!! They don't think I'm officially a student even though I'm already enrolled in classes for the fall.

If I don't get a decent financial aid package, I can't go to vet school. I have never torn someone a new a**hole, but there's a first time for everything.

Ah you'll get it, don't worry too much. Hound the Financial Aid people, tell them you KNOW other people are getting them (and if you didn't, you do now, because I've gotten and accepted my offers already). If that doesn't work, hound the vet school people until they hound the Financial Aid people.

Financial Aid disbursements aren't until August 10th anyhow, so you've got time.

I am trying to complete my visa application to go study in Scotland and it is making me ****ing NUTS! They make it impossibly complicated and offer ZERO help. What's worse...if you make one little mistake, the will reject you and you have to reapply. None of this is done in less than three weeks and I am supposed to fly on July 20th! WHY?!

Where did she end up going??

That's the most infuriating part of it all! She always ends up in awesome places... not because she's great, but because the last place she's at is soooooo desperate to get rid of her that they'll give an ok recommendation just so she goes somewhere else. Her PhD was at one of the largest research medical schools, and my lab is at mass general. She went off on a second post-doc at another highly reputable medical center. I'm almost positive she got her PhD just because her lab wanted her out so bad and just giving her the degree was easier than kicking her out of the program.

gella - yes, she sounds just like the person you described. either myself or the other technician would have to clone for her (after a month or so of failure and temper tantrums on her part) or she would always have to get it sent from elsewhere. She has NEVER performed a successful maxiprep (though she attempted at least 15 times) and YES! she didn't know how to dilute primers herself either!!!

only diff was that she was not beloved for being cutsey and wearing short skirts. she's more the type of person who starts getting offended and loudly accuses people of sexual harassment when she is the LAST person to be approached inappropriately.

That's the most infuriating part of it all! She always ends up in awesome places... not because she's great, but because the last place she's at is soooooo desperate to get rid of her that they'll give an ok recommendation just so she goes somewhere else. Her PhD was at one of the largest research medical schools, and my lab is at mass general. She went off on a second post-doc at another highly reputable medical center. I'm almost positive she got her PhD just because her lab wanted her out so bad and just giving her the degree was easier than kicking her out of the program.

gella - yes, she sounds just like the person you described. either myself or the other technician would have to clone for her (after a month or so of failure and temper tantrums on her part) or she would always have to get it sent from elsewhere. She has NEVER performed a successful maxiprep (though she attempted at least 15 times) and YES! she didn't know how to dilute primers herself either!!!

only diff was that she was not beloved for being cutsey and wearing short skirts. she's more the type of person who starts getting offended and loudly accuses people of sexual harassment when she is the LAST person to be approached inappropriately.

I'm so confused-- if she's that atrocious, both as a researcher and as a person, why hasn't her boss written her up to the PI? Or the head of the department? Is she bringing in so much NIH money that they are essentially forced to put up with her?

Oh, and as aside, Minnerbelle, I love proto mag...

Quant- i hope you get better and sorry for your complications. This is not even close to your what you are going through, but......

I am so ****ng tired of being sick!!! 13 days is a ****ingnough already..... I am trying to move my life by the end of the week and this is NOT helping....GRRRRR

So she isn't even working her way up the totem pole by being attractive? Wow..that's truly baffling. Haha!

Ok, I have another rant!
My ex b/f and I are still friends and hang out often. We both have some feelings for each other but know it would never work. So, now insert one of my former best friends, who never liked this guy and always complained about him and called him a variety of no-so-nice things. Her and I are no longer friends because after she insisted I hang out with one of her guy friends she apparently had feelings for, she claimed I was a man stealer. Now, I tried to say I didn't want to hang out with him but she pushed and I finally caved. This guy is hilarious and is becoming one of my closest friends but there is no romantic feelings there (for me). LOONG story short she ended up calling me a bunch of things, 'slutbag" being the nicest of them.
Well I find out that my ex b/f and her are dating now! And he didn't think I'd have a problem with it and I only found out via facebook!!!
Ugh, it is bothering me way more than I should, especially since my newsfeed loves to put his status updates about her first all the time.

Sorry... that probably isn't easily followed/understood but I feel better ranting about it here. :)

Ok, I have another rant!
My ex b/f and I are still friends and hang out often. We both have some feelings for each other but know it would never work. So, now insert one of my former best friends, who never liked this guy and always complained about him and called him a variety of no-so-nice things. Her and I are no longer friends because after she insisted I hang out with one of her guy friends she apparently had feelings for, she claimed I was a man stealer. Now, I tried to say I didn't want to hang out with him but she pushed and I finally caved. This guy is hilarious and is becoming one of my closest friends but there is no romantic feelings there (for me). LOONG story short she ended up calling me a bunch of things, 'slutbag" being the nicest of them.
Well I find out that my ex b/f and her are dating now! And he didn't think I'd have a problem with it and I only found out via facebook!!!
Ugh, it is bothering me way more than I should, especially since my newsfeed loves to put his status updates about her first all the time.

Sorry... that probably isn't easily followed/understood but I feel better ranting about it here. :)

wow that is annoying, i wonder if she secretly liked ur ex while u were dating and she said means things about him so u'd like him less and break it off? that would be superrr low. Or she is just doing it to get back at you since in her mind you stole her guy. both very low lol.
THIS IS WHY I DONT HAVE MANY GIRL FRIENDS haha i swear they are soo much more evil than men

ps- staying away from fb unless i get messaged has dramatically lowered my stress and increased my happiness

I had an organic II test today. I used to love organic chemistry, it made so much sense to me, and I actually used to enjoy doing it... I have this brand new professor who is an idiot! I just am not of the belief that orgo should ever by multiple choice. I mean the whole foundation of the subject is mechanism! Ugh.... she is going to ruin my science gpa....

Organic chemistry should crawl in a hole and die. Just wait until the satisfaction of being done with it, it's a wonderful feeling!

My mini rant: I am taking minimester summer classes to finish my degree before vet school in the fall. Our finals are this weekend. One of my classes is great, has all of our grades in order and returned to us so that we know exactly where we stand. The other has a full 50% of our total grade still outstanding [26% of that is the final]. We have two more days of class left. It is impossible for me to calculate how much time I need to spend preparing for the final when 24% of my grade I won't ever know before taking the test. The teacher keeps assigning us essays and then not getting them back to us, and said he won't have them finished until after we're gone. I also have to work, pack, and be ready to move out immediately after I take the final. This is why I don't like liberal arts professors, they don't understand my OCD and need for a number to be attached to everything. "Don't worry about it" just doesn't cut it.

Hopefully that made sense.

Organic chemistry should crawl in a hole and die. Just wait until the satisfaction of being done with it, it's a wonderful feeling!

My mini rant: I am taking minimester summer classes to finish my degree before vet school in the fall. Our finals are this weekend. One of my classes is great, has all of our grades in order and returned to us so that we know exactly where we stand. The other has a full 50% of our total grade still outstanding [26% of that is the final]. We have two more days of class left. It is impossible for me to calculate how much time I need to spend preparing for the final when 24% of my grade I won't ever know before taking the test. The teacher keeps assigning us essays and then not getting them back to us, and said he won't have them finished until after we're gone. I also have to work, pack, and be ready to move out immediately after I take the final. This is why I don't like liberal arts professors, they don't understand my OCD and need for a number to be attached to everything. "Don't worry about it" just doesn't cut it.

I had a couple of professors like that in undergrad! I had no idea what my grade was until final grades were posted. One of them was even an engineering professor! He gave us number grades on everything, but he said that he would curve our grades at the end of the semester without specifying what or how he was curving.

Hey, if I had known there was any soccer talk here, I would have come onto this thread earlier :D. Did anyone see any games today? I saw the Chile/Switzerland game today? There were 10 cards given out!

This is the craziest world cup ever. Italy is tying games, Germany lost to Serbia, Spain lost to Switzerland, England is tying games, France is acting like a spoiled brat... Not to mention the infamous phantom foul--I had low expectations of the US going in and they certainly played terribly in the first half, but that ref just stole our win :mad:.

I had a couple of professors like that in undergrad! I had no idea what my grade was until final grades were posted. One of them was even an engineering professor! He gave us number grades on everything, but he said that he would curve our grades at the end of the semester without specifying what or how he was curving.

That's kind of the nature of a curve. I had a lot of classes that curved exams, and for each the professor would simply give the distribution, mean and standard deviation. This way you knew where you stood relative to everyone else, but she didn't actually assign letter grades to the numbers until the very end.

Personally I like that. But then again, I've never been particularly grade-focused by nature.

edit: Stay away from dramahounds of both genders, kids.

I had a class last semester where I had 66% of the class grade still up in the air after the last day of classes - 50% being a large term paper (yay philosophy classes!) and 16% being two smaller papers that had been due two days earlier and had not been given back. How frustrating!

But yes, I love doing my calculations of "Well, I need an 86 to get an A... 82 to get an A-... etc."

Moving! Holy crap, preparing to move is a nightmare! I'm pretty sure I'm bringing a lot of this on myself because I'm planning too much, but it is so frustrating!

My mom is a realtor, so when it comes to finding an apartment, she is definitely the one to consult. She wants to go to Saskatoon to scout apartments, which is a great idea. But when? Who knows! At first, she said the second week of July. Half a week later, she says no, her friends said we should look really early before good apartments get snatched up, so let's go late June. Another half a week later and there's no rush anymore, we can go the second week of July. The next day, and suddenly there's a rush and we should head out and look for apartments this weekend! It's a good thing I'm just volunteering this summer instead of working, so my hours are really flexible.

Now that I am fairly certain of when we're going, we need to find a hotel. Mom just has to insist on a hotel close to the university. Why does it matter? I'm not really sure, she tried to explain it to me but it didn't really click. She wants a hotel on the east side of the river near the university. Downtown is on the west side of the river. Like, 95% of the hotels are on the west side of the river. I was able to find three hotels in the right location, but now I have to hope that they'll be able to accomodate us for three nights on short notice.

A minor rant in the grand scheme of things, really, but it's been so frustrating.

I'm so confused-- if she's that atrocious, both as a researcher and as a person, why hasn't her boss written her up to the PI? Or the head of the department? Is she bringing in so much NIH money that they are essentially forced to put up with her?

The PI is the unit chief (hospital equivalent of department head), and the PI sees her tantrums weekly during the lab meeting. PI knows how atrocious she is, and is sympathetic to the other two faculty researchers who have to deal with her, but for some reason the PI almost treats the post-doc like a charity case. She'll act like a kindergarten teacher "now _____, hold on and listen and I promise you'll get your turn to speak" etc... The people in my lab are comprised of ridiculously nice people, and they just don't fire people no matter how bad they are. Actually I think one post-doc was fired once, but that's because she completely neglected the mouse colony she was supposed to be maintaining.

and no, she's not bringing in ANY money. The only reason why I think they even think to put up with her is because she was on a training grant so at least they didn't have to pay her salary. She did cost quite a bit in supplies though.

Oh, and as aside, Minnerbelle, I love proto mag...
haha, didn't know such a thing existed until you mentioned it.

I took embryology last semester and we didn't get a bloody thing back all semester. We took tests and handed in assignments and knew none of our grades until the final grades were posted. I don't know if I deserved my C or not. I do know that this is the first time I have ever been pissed about a C, and I also know that my last 45 GPA took a serious hit. And this genius prof told us in class that a person with XXY nondisjunction was a "female tomboy". WTF? I want my tuition $ back jus for that.

I took embryology last semester and we didn't get a bloody thing back all semester. We took tests and handed in assignments and knew none of our grades until the final grades were posted. I don't know if I deserved my C or not. I do know that this is the first time I have ever been pissed about a C, and I also know that my last 45 GPA took a serious hit. And this genius prof told us in class that a person with XXY nondisjunction was a "female tomboy". WTF? I want my tuition $ back jus for that.

Assuming this professor is not in some way important to your future, you should send an email requesting grade information for all of your assignments, and if anything looks sketchy ask to meet with him and discuss it. If he doesn't respond to your email, resend it and CC the department head. I put up with a BS prof who never posted grades, never responded to emails and who I harassed for almost a month to fix a test grade (they didn't record one of my grades - which happened to be >100!) I won't put up with that any more if I can help it - I pay too much money and put too much effort into my education to have it undermined like that.

female tomboy. :thumbdown:

That was my organic chemistry lab. I contested the B she gave me, CC'd the department head, and nothing ever happened. SO frustrating. It ruined my semester 4.0. In the end I decided that the 1 credit hour of B just wasn't worth my time and energy anymore. This lab head is now under strict supervision because of the enormous amount of complaints about her, but yet she never gets fired. It's become a right of passage here, and anyone in a science major commiserates about her.

Trilt said:
But yes, I love doing my calculations of "Well, I need an 86 to get an A... 82 to get an A-... etc."

I calculate grades like it's my JOB. I like to know exactly how much (or little!) time the upcoming test is worth.
Also, this is a philosophy class, too!

She wants a hotel on the east side of the river near the university. Downtown is on the west side of the river. Like, 95% of the hotels are on the west side of the river. .

Just to let you know - all the hotels close to the uni are on the west side, across the bridge....I don't think I can name a single hotel on the east side that is at all close. But there are at least 5 off the top of my head that are walkable from the west side - if you have the money (or if mom is paying), stay at the bessborough. Its old and awesome. And the closest.

After calling back and sending my resume to different people (since I talk to a different person each time and they never received it), I've given up on the clinic around here that's supposed to be great for shadowing. Today was supposed to be the day I blanketed all the other clinics in town with my resume hoping I can find ANYTHING for this summer. But I'm bed ridden with a horrid double ear infection which is also giving me so much jaw pain that I can barely open my mouth.

So another week of no experience it is, and another step closer to not even being able to apply this fall. Awesome.

Orgo II is the bane of my existence. Officially.

Illness over the summer made me take orgo I and II over the summer. B in orgo I. Woohoo! Orgo II had an AWFUL professor who only taught out of his book and gave us worksheets from that book (why were we going to class?? Ugh) Withdrew--4th W on my transcript :( (The other three were due to illness and were all in one semester).

Retook orgo II this past semester with the supposedly wonderful professor. Orgo I professor never did one mechanism, orgo II professor ONLY did mechanisms. Way behind. Could never catch up. Ended up with a friggin D+ in the class after he PROMISED he would pass me (I hate to have to rely on professors and things out of my control like that but I had no choice :( ). So I couldn't leave that grade on my transcript without retaking it, so I am retaking this stupid class this summer (with a different adjunct) and need to ace it. Organic + research for thesis (which was planned already) = not being able to apply this fall = gap year which I don't want to take and am forced into now.

Ugh. And I need to get an A in orgo II now and I'm so scared that adcoms will just toss me out of the pile because of this one freaking class.

Rant over.

I haven't had anything to rant about, but then I just read this today. I guess it isn't a super big deal, but i'd still like to contribute to this thread :) and when it comes to lots of money--and my teenie tiny salary, it makes me very upset

I got my rabies vaccines 5 years ago. I paid completely out of pocket for it because it was not covered by insurance and the only way i was allowed to shadow/intern for this one vet was if i had the rabies vaccine. There was a gap in shadowing, and i started up again in 2009. I needed to get a titer to show to the vet I was still ok, but when I went the doctor told me the price of the titer is the same as a booster so I should just get the booster. So again, I paid out of pocket for this last year. Now, Penn has certain guidelines for if you have gotten your rabies vaccine already.

If you have already been vaccinated, you must provide us with proof:

1. If your original vaccinations were performed prior to September 1, 2009, you must provide us with a) proof of vaccination from your health provider AND 2) a titer result within the past year indicating adequate immunity.

(If your titer is not adequate, you must also have a booster and include that with your documentation)

2. If your original vaccinations were performed after September 1, 2009 (i.e., within the past year), you must provide us with proof of vaccination from your health provider. You do not need to present a titer. Please attach your proof of vaccinations with dates of service, and return complete documentation with the Certification of Rabies Vaccination Form.

So as you can see from above, I will now be forced to pay for a titer out of pocket even though I have proof of the full vaccine and a booster (appropriate number of years later). However, if I had NOT been "prepared" and never had the vaccine before....and got it recently....I would not need to show them a titer. ARGG I know this is over a span of 5 years, but I feel like I keep playing by the rules and am getting punished for it!! and this is A LOT of money especially since I am living off of a fellowship that is more for prestige than being rich. sighhh

Bummer, blackkat, but c'mon, how are you being punished?? You had to have the vax for your work so you got it. And proof of vaccination of course isn't sufficient. This is RABIES we're talking about. With a vaccination that long ago it's certainly possible that your titer will show you need re-vaccinated. Helllooo, RABIES....you don't mess with that.

Bummer, blackkat, but c'mon, how are you being punished?? You had to have the vax for your work so you got it. And proof of vaccination of course isn't sufficient. This is RABIES we're talking about. With a vaccination that long ago it's certainly possible that your titer will show you need re-vaccinated. Helllooo, RABIES....you don't mess with that.

Yes, it is dangerous, but I just had the booster last year! I am 100% sure my titer will be good. I had the full series and booster 4 years later. It's not like I had this thing 10 years ago lol But I cant just show them my records, i have to pay...again. I should have just never gotten this series, interned somewhere else, and had the vaccines this summer. (i mean, this wasnt even for a job, it was shadowing...no pay lol)

Completely and utterly insignificant, but..

I picked up my jeans this morning to put them on and there was a F***ING SPIDER IN THEM. IT WAS ENORMOUS AND IT WAS IN MY ***D*MN JEANS. And you know what this means? Lots of little spider babies crawling around in my bedroom.

So I pulled myself together, killed the thing, and went for a run instead. Now, the cleaning rampage begins, because I don't want no mother f*ing spiders in my mother f*ing clothes.

*disclaimer* I like spiders. They eat mosquitoes, blah blah blah. As long as they stay OUT of my personal space, aka the inside of my jeans, we'll be just fine.

The horrible PhD post sort of obscured this one...but that's awful. I swear there is nothing worse than finding a spider in your clothes because then it makes you all paranoid about where else they might be hiding and procreating...ugh.

The horrible PhD post sort of obscured this one...but that's awful. I swear there is nothing worse than finding a spider in your clothes because then it makes you all paranoid about where else they might be hiding and procreating...ugh.

lol oya i laughed so hard when i read this post but at the same time, i am terrified of spiders and that would have scared the sh*ittttttttttttttttt outta me!!!! id ont think i'd wear those jeans ever again lol and yea, the eggs are scary!! you dunno where they could be. I sold our grill this summer, the guy took the grill apart and underneath it he found these sacs and you could see the spider babies trying to poke through the sac!!!!!!!! AHHH it was so creepy like from a horror film!!! and he finally popped the sac and all thsee spiders came out. omg. so. f'n. scary.

I swear there is nothing worse than finding a spider in your clothes because then it makes you all paranoid about where else they might be hiding and procreating...ugh.

Or finding a scorpion in your shoe. I still check my shoes before putting them on (totally OCD, I know. And to think that I found that damn scorpion in my shoe 16 years ago...)

Yeah, we also recently had a problem with ticks after going to VA on vacation. Came back, found a tick in my leg TWO DAYS later. After doing a complete tick check after coming back. Talk about paranoid!

So now of course I have to clean and vacuum everything in the entire freaking apartment to get rid of spider baby eggs, and I just know I'm going to find a colony of them when we're packing to move next month. ICK.

You guys know how there are all those stories about spiders laying eggs in people's ears and whatever?

On Sunday I went out to my garage to get the cat litter scoop so I could scoop the litterboxes, and I came back in and was walking into my bathroom and my left ear felt all weird and tickly and I shook my head and then a god damn spider fell out. I screamed and smashed the freaking thing with the litter scoop and then I told some of my friends about it and they were like LOL U GOT EGGS IN UR EAR and then I was paranoid for like 4 hours about this.

Jerks...

Lol anytime anyone talks about spiders on their body it makes me think of those "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" books (best childrens horror books every by the way!) and those creeping drawings. Especially the one from the story where the spider laid eggs on the girls face, but she thought it was a pimple until they hatched...hahah. awesomeness.

You guys know what I'm talking about right?!

Lol anytime anyone talks about spiders on their body it makes me think of those "Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark" books (best childrens horror books every by the way!) and those creeping drawings. Especially the one from the story where the spider laid eggs on the girls face, but she thought it was a pimple until they hatched...hahah. awesomeness.

Are You Afraid of the Dark? :thumbup:

I remember those books! I think there were like 3 of them? Where is my tooooooe? That one freaked me out the most because the idea of eating a toe is just disgusting (I have issues with feet). Pretty sure it scarred me for life.

Makes me wanna go see if that's still in my dad's basement somewhere and read it.

I remember those books! I think there were like 3 of them? Where is my tooooooe? That one freaked me out the most because the idea of eating a toe is just disgusting (I have issues with feet). Pretty sure it scarred me for life.

Makes me wanna go see if that's still in my dad's basement somewhere and read it.

Haha YES!! There are three... they really were pretty scary! I found them all in a single bound book at Barnes and Noble for like $5 last Christmas. Of course I had to have them. The creepiest one for me was one about a kid with a bed near the window...but there was this zombie or something that kept getting closer and closer. The stories were scary and the illustrations were even scarier. I love it.

scary_stories1.jpg

Last edited: