RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Technically, yes, but I never worked with them in a clinical setting, so I'm not sure how much they could add to my application at this point. Like "so and so hung out here on her days off...but I don't know how she'll work through a problem list or come up with a diagnosis"
are they going places you can extern/preceptor with them?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
are they going places you can extern/preceptor with them?
Hmm not sure. That's a good point. I will check :) One went into private practice and she has already extended an invitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
My laptop has died. It won't turn on with or without the battery....

I've taken such good care of it and it hasn't had anything spilled on it or been dropped or knocked around....

I mean, I've wanted a new one, but I had finally settled and have gotten control of my retail therapy tendencies.

Not cool. :(

Have a potential externship lined up for next year. I have to give them dates, but unfortunately the dates I really wanted they've decided they're not taking externs at that time. I really wanted it for sometime in January and February because I'm trying to do Early Entry (skip large animal block), so I need 8 weeks of externships lined up for that time to guarantee my acceptance into Early Entry.

Positive side: Either way it should be a great experience because it's a spay/neuter clinic with a vet who used to work at the Humane Alliance.

If you're going where I think you're going, it's the best externship ever!

If you're going where I think you're going, it's the best externship ever!

You're probably thinking of the right place. You mentioned them to me back in first year but I haven't had a chance to get out there yet, but I've heard great things so I really, really want it to work out.

Today I got a rejection email from the second of three places I applied for this summer, and it was my favorite one, too. :( Not holding out a lot of hope for the third one at this point...

I called my job to find out if one of our brought-in-strays was still there because I think I've found his owner, and I have so far I've been on hold for over 10 minutes and our receptionist doesn't even knew who I am or why I'm calling. That is NOT acceptable for an emergency clinic. We need new receptionists, or more of them. x__x

Members don't see this ad :)
Got a frantic call from my sister in Ontario. My mom had been drinking all day and fell down the stairs. She was unconscious for about 10 minutes until the paramedics showed up. She was fighting them on going to the hospital. I pulled the "I'm almost a doctor" card and told the paramedics to take her. My youngest sister is with her now, my middle sister is home with the dog. I feel horrible that I'm not there. I'm surprised she hasn't done this before or hurt someone else :( I hope they do a psych eval and she'll be forced to get help.

Got a frantic call from my sister in Ontario. My mom had been drinking all day and fell down the stairs. She was unconscious for about 10 minutes until the paramedics showed up. She was fighting them on going to the hospital. I pulled the "I'm almost a doctor" card and told the paramedics to take her. My youngest sister is with her now, my middle sister is home with the dog. I feel horrible that I'm not there. I'm surprised she hasn't done this before or hurt someone else :( I hope they do a psych eval and she'll be forced to get help.

That sucks. I know exactly how you feel though. I had to pick my grandfather up out of our backyard a few nights ago. I thought he'd hit his head on a log out there but luckily just some bruising. Just know even though it's tough you're not alone. Luckily your sisters were there!

My mom texted me just now, at 11pm, saying she, my dad, and my sister want to drive up here for Easter dinner tomorrow morning. On the one hand I'm happy to see them, but it's also horrible timing because I have my last two finals on Monday and Wednesday and really need to study, my roommate's fiancé is already here for the weekend with his dog (in addition to our two), and the house needs cleaned if they're coming. More than 12 hours notice would have been greatly appreciated.

Totally my fault but I left my iced tea on my night stand and my computer on the floor next to my bed. My kitty knocked over my iced tea while I was out and I came back to my soaked MacBook :( it's been 2 days of me wrapping it in a towel, throwing it in a tub of rice, etc and nothing :( the weird part is that when I plug it in to charge it, the light goes on, but doesn't turn on. Not good since finals are coming up, all my need are on my computer and my 10 page essay for medicinal chemistry. I knew I should've started using Dropbox or google docs ugh

Friends that call you to tell you that the dog they are watching just ate half an ounce of 85% dark chocolate (dog is 5kgs) and then go against your recommendation to take her to the vet because "she is acting fine right now and eats everything anyways". Why did you call me?
Oh, wait, maybe they are just trying to train me for clients in GP.

Reactions: 1 users
Friends that call you to tell you that the dog they are watching just ate half an ounce of 85% dark chocolate (dog is 5kgs) and then go against your recommendation to take them to the vet because "she is acting fine right now and eats everything anyways". Why did you call me?

This post made me think of this picture I saw earlier today:

14883_1407662002833609_1177882709_n.png

Reactions: 24 users
Uggghhh, this has been one of the most stressful weeks in a long time. Following delay after delay after delay for flights back from a vet conference at the beginning of the week, I come back to what I was hoping would be sleep (got in at 3/4 am and had work at 9:30), but instead received a call from a girl I had a fling with for about a month, that had ended a week before saying she was in the ER and that she had been sexually assaulted. So I have never been in a situation like this where I am trying to be there for someone where that happened to before and I feel like everything I have been doing is wrong...

So every second I have been free this week, which has not been much time since the class I TA for has a test this upcoming week and the students have been especially needy this week, has been devoted to making her feel better/being there for her. And I still feel like I am not doing enough. And then there's also the awkwardness where she cannot sleep alone following this, so I am still sleeping in the same bed as her, and she is becoming attached, even though she has another romantic interest now. And I am running on no sleep, as the only thing that can really wake me up is someone being upset, and that's how she is for most of the night (which is not her fault at all).

And as a result of all of this I failed two exams this week. First time that has happened. And then she kind of expected me to come with her this weekend for Easter, this way she would be able to get some sleep during the weekend. And I kept delaying the decision, but was going to decide to go with her and skip going with my family. She saw my hesitation and apparently decided to leave prior to when I hold the massive review session for the test for my class, so I wouldn't be able to go with her even if I had decided to go with her.

So then Easter was fun as always, talking about how one stepbrother is now doing heroine, another one just got a DUI, and all of that fun wonderful stuff. I also got to spend half of my day doing lots of fun physical labor to get my stepdad's house ready to sell, since none of his stepsons would help him.

And now today she says that she is not returning to finish the semester. And she is not returning to my school afterwards. And all I can feel like is that I am a horrible person and I didn't do enough. And that I completely failed her. And that if I had done more then everything could have been okay.

So yeah, and I can't really talk with anyone I know about this, since I don't want to violate her privacy on this. So I have had no one to be able to vent to... And I have been getting weird looks from everyone all week due to visible marks on her from what happened....

So Idk, just wanted to vent a little bit and let everything that has been building up off my chest...

first of all, STL, sorry you are dealing with that. 2nd of all, its not YOUR fault she was assaulted. You had a fling with her. she probably shouldnt be relying on you for emotional support. And it sounds like you may need to take advantage of some counseling through the school. best of luck

Reactions: 2 users
STL, try not to beat yourself up about feeling like you didn't do enough. There are things we are just not equipped to handle, but despite that it sounds like you did your best to try to console her. That's a lot for even a developed relationship to take on, much less one that was in an early state. Sorry you're going through this. It's not easy for anyone to have to deal with.

My headaches were starting to get better a few weeks ago (unrelenting headaches for 6 years). Car accident happened. And now my head has been bad the last few days. I'm not sure if it's related, but it's really gotten me down. Could also be the weather changing, but I don't know. I'm just super bummed.

Man, STL, that's a lot to deal with at one time. I'm sorry you're going through all of that. :(

You need to remember though that it's not your fault and you being there is a very nice thing for someone to do for a person they only had a fling with. It does sound like she's leaning on you quite a bit. Has she sought any counselling? I think that talking with a professional after such a traumatic event would be a good idea. That might give her some tools to help deal with what has happened and also give you some relief. It's certainly not easy trying to provide that kind of support.

If you ever need to vent, I'm available. It's certainly helped me in the past. :) For now, just take one day at a time and remember to take some time for yourself!

first of all, STL, sorry you are dealing with that. 2nd of all, its not YOUR fault she was assaulted. You had a fling with her. she probably shouldnt be relying on you for emotional support. And it sounds like you may need to take advantage of some counseling through the school. best of luck

Thanks... And Ik its not... I still can't help but feeling that the fact that I came back a day later than I originally intended though... like Idk, Ik its not my fault and I had no way of knowing what would happen. But I still have that what if thought lingering in my mind...and Ik she probably shouldn't, but I do care about her, and there is no way I would turn her away. I was debating taking advantage of it, but the person I would feel most comfortable going to with a situation like this is also an adviser for her. Idk, I feel like it is difficult for me to seek any help in anyway when it is associated with my school...

STL, try not to beat yourself up about feeling like you didn't do enough. There are things we are just not equipped to handle, but despite that it sounds like you did your best to try to console her. That's a lot for even a developed relationship to take on, much less one that was in an early state. Sorry you're going through this. It's not easy for anyone to have to deal with.

I know I shouldn't but I keep thinking it. It can't be that my best wasn't good enough. I could have done more, I shouldn't have hesitated about Easter, I could have tried to find even more time than I did... I don't know. Thanks a ton for the support

Man, STL, that's a lot to deal with at one time. I'm sorry you're going through all of that. :(

You need to remember though that it's not your fault and you being there is a very nice thing for someone to do for a person they only had a fling with. It does sound like she's leaning on you quite a bit. Has she sought any counselling? I think that talking with a professional after such a traumatic event would be a good idea. That might give her some tools to help deal with what has happened and also give you some relief. It's certainly not easy trying to provide that kind of support.

If you ever need to vent, I'm available. It's certainly helped me in the past. :) For now, just take one day at a time and remember to take some time for yourself!
Thanks... She has sought counseling, however anyone she has talked to is just pushing her towards making sure she reports it in some way shape or form, when all she wants is to try and return to some idea of normalcy. That may be one of the few things I feel like I did right, I was told through RA training to always leave decision powers in the person's hands.... So I was the only person in her life who was encouraging (or Ig respecting may be the better word) her to do what she wanted, which is to not report it. She was required by the dean of the school to talk with them also.... And it honestly isnt... :(

And thanks Escalla, you are awesome. And that's the plan to take it one day at a time. And haha, I tend to not do so a whole lot, but I know its what I really should do haha.... I did feel very guilty doing things with other people during that week. I even felt bad making my composition for one of my music classes.... Just a lot of guilty feelings this past week...

Idk, I feel like it is difficult for me to seek any help in anyway when it is associated with my school...

I hate this thought process. Schools should provide counseling on campus and it shouldn't affect you in any way other than giving you an outlet to discuss this confidentially.

I hate this thought process. Schools should provide counseling on campus and it shouldn't affect you in any way other than giving you an outlet to discuss this confidentially.
I guess what I am referring to more with this is that I don't normally have any problem seeking help if I am seeking help for a problem that is purely my own. But I feel it is not my place to talk about this with anyone that could in anyway encounter this person (hence why this post is on a forum that is anonymous and not being discussed with a best friend, or a counselor from my school, or yeah...) Idk, do you kind of understand what I mean?

I guess what I am referring to more with this is that I don't normally have any problem seeking help if I am seeking help for a problem that is purely my own. But I feel it is not my place to talk about this with anyone that could in anyway encounter this person (hence why this post is on a forum that is anonymous and not being discussed with a best friend, or a counselor from my school, or yeah...) Idk, do you kind of understand what I mean?
I get what you're saying but it's personally affecting you. by seeing a confidential counselor, they should be bound by privacy and confidentiality. You should be able to talk without using names and be able to vent about this. It IS affecting you if you're failing tests.

Reactions: 1 users
I get what you're saying but it's personally affecting you. by seeing a confidential counselor, they should be bound by privacy and confidentiality. You should be able to talk without using names and be able to vent about this. It IS affecting you if you're failing tests.
I guess that is true as well. I will try and talk to a counselor about it.... Thank you

Thanks... She has sought counseling, however anyone she has talked to is just pushing her towards making sure she reports it in some way shape or form, when all she wants is to try and return to some idea of normalcy. That may be one of the few things I feel like I did right, I was told through RA training to always leave decision powers in the person's hands.... So I was the only person in her life who was encouraging (or Ig respecting may be the better word) her to do what she wanted, which is to not report it. She was required by the dean of the school to talk with them also.... And it honestly isnt... :(

And thanks Escalla, you are awesome. And that's the plan to take it one day at a time. And haha, I tend to not do so a whole lot, but I know its what I really should do haha.... I did feel very guilty doing things with other people during that week. I even felt bad making my composition for one of my music classes.... Just a lot of guilty feelings this past week...

Well, I don't know what the school is requiring or what has been done....but as some general advice, if a counsellor isn't working for you, ditch them and see another. It's definitely a waste of time and energy to see someone that isn't going in the direction you want so finding that one that works can make an enormous difference.

Also, since everything is confidential, like dyachei said, since it seems to be affecting you quite a bit, definitely talk to someone. They can help you manage the stress and guilt. If it doesn't do anything for you, at least you gave it a shot. :)

Dude you and that girl are both in a crappy position but she needs to learn to deal with it however is best for her - you aren't always going to be around even if you WERE in a relationship with her and she has to eventually be comfortable with things like sleeping by herself. If taking time out of school is going to help her, that's not a bad thing.

STL, I am sorry you are going through such a difficult situation.

You have to realize it is not your fault and you have stated you know that it isn't but you keep also saying "what if". You can't do that to yourself. The "what ifs" are hard to ignore and forget about but you have to not think of them. There will always be "what ifs" but they are not going to make anything better. Dwelling on them only makes it worse and makes everyone involved feel like utter crap.

Also, it is very important that you take care of yourself too. I know that you want to be there for your friend and do everything that you can to make her feel better, but you have to think of yourself too. If you are losing sleep, putting off school work, and failing that is going to take a massive toll on you. Look after yourself. You need to take care of your own emotional, mental and physical health otherwise you will not be able to be there for your friend.

If you need to talk to someone, do so. This will be a lifelong issue that your friend will have to deal with, it sucks. There is really nothing else that can be said about it and its impact does not stop at her, it impacts everyone and anyone that cares about her, you included. There is a huge emotional toll that something like this has on all people involved and the last thing your friend wants it to see you struggling because of something that she experienced. Unfortunately, when things like this happen it feels as if your world has come to a standstill but the world around you is still moving on. Time just does not stop for people to recover from bad events and it is not a bad thing if you need some help to get back on track or even some advice on how to best help your friend while still balancing normal life.

Unfortunately, there is no life instruction book on how to help friends who have gone through something like what happened to your friend. Also, every person is different in the support that they need after such an event and there may be no "right" way to support her. I do think it would benefit both of you if she could try sleeping on her own. I know (from personal experience) it is tough to sleep after something like that, but it is important to try to get back to a normal sleeping pattern. Might be worthwhile for her to ask a counselor what is the best way to gradually get back to feeling comfortable sleeping at night alone.

Sorry you are going through such a crappy situation.

kicking myself for a major scheduling snafu that i overlooked a couple of months ago. now i have sea turtle research scheduled the same night as our awards ceremony (that is mainly targeted at 6th term). i'm the driver for the group (its 2h away) so short of changing the date, i'm unable to attend awards (and i'm supposed to present a few of those awards). we asked the other group going this weekend (its the only weekend our group can go) and their response was sorry but we're going to a party friday night so we cant switch. which is fair, but ugh frustrating!!

I am so angry and frustrated with everything right now. This awful semester needs to be over already.

I am so angry and frustrated with everything right now. This awful semester needs to be over already.

100% agree. I seriously can not sit still long enough to study or make it through a class. No focus whatsoever. Which is great, since I still have like probably 7 tests left until the end of this semester...or something like that.

So burnt out with school right now. And I have a speech class this term. I put it off until I was already accepted, but I still dread this class more than any other. It's bad when you're so stressed about a speech that you even have a hard time practicing it to an empty room.

On a related note, I tried practicing my speeches to my cats. One slept, which is probably an accurate prediction of what my classmates will do at a 9am class. The other smacked me in the face with his paw. I guess he was trying to be thoughtful by giving me the worst possible audience reaction, thinking it can only improve from there...?:rofl:

I'm not entirely sure what my upstairs neighbor is doing to make my entire apartment shake and my ceiling squeak so epically, but it really needs to stop. Now.

I'm not entirely sure what my upstairs neighbor is doing to make my entire apartment shake and my ceiling squeak so epically, but it really needs to stop. Now.
I've been dealing with this since October. It literally drove me crazy. I bought a box fan and it has helped immensely. I still hear them walking around and drop something every 5 minutes, but at least I don't have to hear them talk!

I've been dealing with this since October. It literally drove me crazy. I bought a box fan and it has helped immensely. I still hear them walking around and drop something every 5 minutes, but at least I don't have to hear them talk!
My apartment in undergrad was much, worse... I could hear every time she came home, I could hear the dogs running around, I could hear certain sound effects during certain nighttime activities... for the most part I get quiet here. But every so often, they do something that literally makes my blinds rattle, and tonight the decided to do it over a particularly squeaky part of floor... and it's always when I have important exams to study form...

I had an apparently nocturnal upstairs neighbour who seemed to have races across his/her floor in a wheelie desk chair. Or at least that's what it sounded like, all night long.

In the first off-campus apartment I ever had, the downstairs neighbors were smokers (both cigarettes and pot) and would smoke on their balcony even though it was a non-smoking building. The smell was irritating enough, but then one night we had to deal with sirens and firetrucks in our parking lot because the idiots had been throwing the cigarette butts off their balcony and into the bushes below, and after a particularly dry week the bushes caught fire. Add in the knee-deep pile of trash on said balcony that attracted all sorts of bugs, the weekly drunken fights, the unbelievably loud sex, and the screaming two year old and it was hell living above them. The worst part was they were so busy being drunk, high, and belligerent all the time they paid little to no attention to the kid. On more than one occasion I found him wandering the hallway/entryway unsupervised in nothing but a diaper. I don't think they even noticed he was missing.

Apartment living is so much fun, isn't it?