RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Cool Ohio.....thanks for switching to PPI's and eliminating letters. :rage:
Did they completely eliminate letters too? I had already dropped them from my list because I felt it was too late for me to request PPI's from my evaluators, but really... They should have put this info out sooner.

I'm very excited to go to the avma convention tomorrow morning, but I am not excited to pack. And finish cleaning the house. And respond to approximately 38980 billion emails before I head out the door.

Members don't see this ad :)
2 weeks and 4 days till I say bye to the SO and England and head off to vet school. I feel like I should be excited (and sometimes I am) but mostly I'm just extremely depressed over leaving. I hope I made the right choice. :(

Reactions: 1 user
2 weeks and 4 days till I say bye to the SO and England and head off to vet school. I feel like I should be excited (and sometimes I am) but mostly I'm just extremely depressed over leaving. I hope I made the right choice. :(

You'll like Florida!

I feel the same way heading to the Caribbean and leaving my SO behind

:( I know I say this a lot, but let me know if I can do anything.

Thanks :) Mentally I'm doing well but the medication is kicking my GI system right now and I'm starting to get night sweats. Hoping it's a temporary thing

We lost my grandfather last night :( So heartbroken. I was really encouraging my family to pursue an autopsy since the COD is largely unknown, but we are Jewish and it's not generally accepted as something that is done. Also, it's important to bury him as soon as possible according to tradition. Selfishly, I also wanted to see if he really did have CJD since there is a familial form of the disease. :cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi::cryi:

My sincerest condolences to you and your family :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you guys for all of your support through this. You've all been wonderful <3

Thanks Kpowell <3. There are some markers that can be tested for, I think. But nothing specific.

I hope that someone somewhere in a lab (likely in a vet school [lol] )is doing amazing research to develop a genetic test so that you can know definitively.
-maybe a future research endeavor for you, who knows!!

I will keep your family in my thoughts and prayers, hang in there friend!! And if you need someone to talk to, you can always message me here or on FB!

So sorry to hear Nstarz. I'm right there with you on the whole wondering if you have a genetic time bomb in your brain and having no way to test for it thing, and it sucks. But best not to think about it too much.

So I'm sitting here at work next to a bat in a tupperware container, waiting for the diagnostic lab person to come pick him up for euthanasia and rabies testing. Poor little guy is climbing frantically around in the container trying so hard to figure out how to get out, and all I want to do is take him outside and let him go. So horrible to have his last moments of life spent terrified in tupperware, all because he found his way into someone's house and brushed by somebody's skin. Part of me just wants to yell at the people to get the post exposure prophylaxis and let the bat live (I know that's totally impractical of course). Just wish there was a better way :(. (At least it's not as bad as when people bring their pets in for euthanasia for rabies testing...)

So I'm sitting here at work next to a bat in a tupperware container, waiting for the diagnostic lab person to come pick him up for euthanasia and rabies testing. Poor little guy is climbing frantically around in the container trying so hard to figure out how to get out, and all I want to do is take him outside and let him go. So horrible to have his last moments of life spent terrified in tupperware, all because he found his way into someone's house and brushed by somebody's skin. Part of me just wants to yell at the people to get the post exposure prophylaxis and let the bat live (I know that's totally impractical of course). Just wish there was a better way :(. (At least it's not as bad as when people bring their pets in for euthanasia for rabies testing...)
God that would break my heart :(

Did they completely eliminate letters too? I had already dropped them from my list because I felt it was too late for me to request PPI's from my evaluators, but really... They should have put this info out sooner.
They are no longer looking at letters (although they have no choice but to receive them from VMCAS, lol). Yes, complete surprise to me as well.

So sorry for your loss, Nstarz :(

For any of you gals beginning the long distance journey with your SO's, feel free to message me! I'm finishing up my first year of living in a different country from my bf while in vet school and while I don't think it's gotten any easier, I've found some good coping mechanisms.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks :) Mentally I'm doing well but the medication is kicking my GI system right now and I'm starting to get night sweats. Hoping it's a temporary thing

Chewable ginger pills? I know they're meant for nausea, but they help me when my GI tract is out of whack sometimes. Also hoping it's a temporary thing though. And I'm SO glad you say you're doing well mentally. I worry about you.

I thought it would be fun to take the Amtrak up to see my bf in DC. The ride up was not too bad... The ride home is still on going due to several on track delays. I just want to get home... Still have about another 1-1/2hrs left (getting home 3hrs later than expected).

Bright side the person next to me has been super nice.

Generally when there is a scalpel involved, veterinary patients get the benefit of anesthesia, analgesia, sedation and/or a local block. And then they go home on pain meds. So why is it okay for a doctor to slice my ear open with a #10 blade and say "bear with me for a minute... hold still" when I flinch. And I'll bet the final bill will be a heck of a lot higher than a vet bill for the same thing.

So sorry for your loss NStarz :(

I hope you are okay! Was it a case of accidentally pushing the gas when meaning to hit the brakes?

I am fine! The truck not so much, I just pulled into the barn too quickly and sideswiped the entire driver's side. Huge dents and scratches. I had to pay the insurance deductible which seems like a ton, but I am just glad my boss had insurance I guess!

Oh, okay. Sucks to have to pay the deductible but at least no one was hurt. I'm glad you're okay! :)

Generally when there is a scalpel involved, veterinary patients get the benefit of anesthesia, analgesia, sedation and/or a local block. And then they go home on pain meds. So why is it okay for a doctor to slice my ear open with a #10 blade and say "bear with me for a minute... hold still" when I flinch. And I'll bet the final bill will be a heck of a lot higher than a vet bill for the same thing.

Aural Hematoma? Hehe =)

My bridge came out...I can't believe I was dumb enough to eat that caramel candy. :arghh: The abutments don't looks broken or decayed, so I'm hoping it was just the stickiness of the candy that pulled it off. Can't really afford any major dental work right now. Please let it just be a recement! Pleeeeeease! :cryi:

Aural Hematoma? Hehe =)

That was my first guess at a diagnosis! the doctor is calling it an abscess, but there's no pus. Based off the two tiny punctures I'm guessing it's the result of a bug bite of some sort. Two different doctors and a PA have never seen anything like it... at least the PA remembered the local when she sliced into it last week. No response to antibiotics. Hurts like the devil and every time they drain it, it's back to its original size six hours later. I'm tempted to raid the work truck and try new drugs.

I hear you get the good stuff if you try to bite people... :D

Reactions: 7 users
My in state just released admission stats and it is just so daunting to look at. :(

I just realized that I've been spelling misspelling and mispronouncing Escherichia (as in coli) my whole life. Fail.
The worst part is that my word processor agrees with me. Enabler.
And it autocorrects foodborne to two words (although it gets that waterborne is, in fact, a word).
I fear I can no longer trust Apple's spell check. I guess that means I have to learn to spell. o_O

Overnight shifts kill me. Even with blackout curtains, ear plugs and noise-cancelling headphones, I can't seem to stay asleep for longer than 2-3 hours during the day. So much for being well-rested before heading into 7 consecutive nights...

petty rant: it was a beautiful week, and I admired the weather through the window at the clinic. didn't even get to do many farm calls because I was helping to cover SA after my boss had to go out of town unexpectedly. Now I have the weekend off and it's supposed to storm. Dislike.

So the Feature Article at the top of SDN is kind of annoying me. I feel like interviewing more recent graduates or people who are currently dealing with the "big issues" of vet med would be more appropriate to interview than someone who feels he's adequately compensated, has no debt and works 30hr weeks. Not saying he's a total outlier, but I think there are better people to interview who could bring more attention to the problems we're facing. Plus it would be nice to introduce the non-vet med people to the idea that not all vets are small animal general practitioners.

Reactions: 1 users
DSKFJGWOEIEJGOSDJFL. I just want to get registered for classes WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT. I just need to know if my scores were RECEIVED and then I can wait patiently for them to be processed.

My visit with the husband has come to an end. I hate saying goodbye :( I miss him so much already. 5 months until he's out of the army and we finally get to live together !

Had a case this afternoon that seemed straightforward. But now I'm second (third?) guessing myself and worried that I might have missed something major (I checked and ruled out that something major during the exam but the possibility of having screwed up is getting to me). Can't get this one off my mind and that alone is really bothering me. I'm usually okay leaving work at work.

One year ago tomorrow (or today where I am), I went out to lunch for my birthday - I was only gone for two hours and when I came home my dog was flat out then when he got to the hospital he went into status epilepticus. The next day, after a lot of thinking and visiting with him in the hospital for a couple hours I let him go. It was an extremely hard decision to make and I still have horrible guilt over it today. It still hurts like it was yesterday. He was my heart.

Then the very next day, my other dog who had been living in the states suddenly fell over and died - no warning. It was heartbreaking.

A few years prior my cat died throwing a blood clot, he had a heart condition. That was on August 8th.

My pets so far have died on Aug 6th, 7th, & 8th.... right after my b'day....

Celebrating my birthday will be like celebrating the day I lost my dog. And this whole week is a week of deaths.... it is damn depressing.

I know to most they are just animals, but they were special to me. And my dog Roc, well, he was the best thing since sliced bread, he was my heart, soul, my co-pilot, without him I still feel so very lost.

One year ago tomorrow (or today where I am), I went out to lunch for my birthday - I was only gone for two hours and when I came home my dog was flat out then when he got to the hospital he went into status epilepticus. The next day, after a lot of thinking and visiting with him in the hospital for a couple hours I let him go. It was an extremely hard decision to make and I still have horrible guilt over it today. It still hurts like it was yesterday. He was my heart.

Then the very next day, my other dog who had been living in the states suddenly fell over and died - no warning. It was heartbreaking.

A few years prior my cat died throwing a blood clot, he had a heart condition. That was on August 8th.

My pets so far have died on Aug 6th, 7th, & 8th.... right after my b'day....

Celebrating my birthday will be like celebrating the day I lost my dog. And this whole week is a week of deaths.... it is damn depressing.

I know to most they are just animals, but they were special to me. And my dog Roc, well, he was the best thing since sliced bread, he was my heart, soul, my co-pilot, without him I still feel so very lost.
:( I'm sorry. It's so hard to lose your best friend. He'd want you to be happy to celebrate though, I bet. ;)