RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm with @devyn - fries with lots of cheese and Bacon... I love mine dipped in Ranch. Nom Nom Nom :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Fries with gravy is a huge thing in my hometown! (I'm from outside of Pittsburgh in SW PA) It's one of the main dishes at our most popular local restaurant...
I do like cheese curds, I'm betting that would taste great on my gravy fries :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh the sunburn! Just wasn't thinking and now I am paying for it.

Hey stb--show them your new PUPPY

Reactions: 1 users
:laugh: My husband (born and raised in Dallas) is the exact same way. He doesn't like brown gravy and I don't get it...it's beef flavored and it's gravy - what's wrong with that?!

I love brown gravy on mashed potatoes and just haven't ever tried it on French fries mostly because I eat them with cream gravy hahahah

Sorry to spoil all the light-hearted talk on this thread, but work sucked tonight. We had three emergencies come in all at once, including a parvo puppy, and only two doctors to handle them, so the doctor I was working with was stressed and taking it out on me a bit. Or she was just really annoyed about a couple small mistakes I'd made earlier in my shift, I don't know. Then I was in charge of disinfecting the exam room the parvo puppy was in, which I'd never really been trained how to do, so I asked the other techs what to do and kept getting incomplete instructions (a trend at this clinic) and then having to go back and re-do things. In retrospect it wasn't THAT bad, but it was toward the end of what initially looked like it was going to be a slow night, so everyone was stressed and it was getting to me.

There are several things I don't like about the way this clinic is run, and I'm starting to dread having to spend at least the next year working here. Maybe I'm just being pessimistic lately because this is the first time since I was 3 that I haven't gone back to school in August, and so far I'm not happy about it. But I have times when I think that if I could get another vet clinic job lined up, and didn't need this job for the LOR, I'd be out of there ASAP. Sometimes I can't tell if the doctors actually like me and are just being tough on me to test me (something I've been told one doctor in particular tends to do to new people, although I've been there for five months, so I'm not that new anymore), or if they think I'm an idiot and don't see how hard I'm trying to do well and learn and apply corrections. I don't know, I'm just venting.

ETA: Oh, and to add to my rant... people need to stop taking medical advice from breeders!!! Apparently the owner of this parvo puppy was told by the breeder that the puppy didn't need shots until 6 months old. :eek:

Last edited:
Sorry to keep monopolizing the thread with my rambling, but I also remembered that the vet I was working with last night asked me if I have any hearing loss, because apparently sometimes when she asks me questions it seems like I don't hear her. Wtf??? I have no idea where this came from. Yes, sometimes I won't hear her call my name if I'm in the back running the shopvac and/or surrounded by barking dogs, or maybe I'll be focused on a task and won't realize she's talking to me for a second. But those seem like things you would think someone would understand.

There is at least one girl who works at the clinic who does have some hearing loss because she was in and out of foster care as a child and didn't get proper medical care. But she's fairly up front about it, and everyone knows and understands that if you say something to her while she's far away, she might not hear you. I on the other hand don't have any hearing issues that I'm aware of, so it just seemed like a totally random and inappropriate question. I responded politely and went back to my work, but I don't even know anymore.

I have a rare Saturday off tomorrow, and it could not be coming at a better time. :dead:

My RANT is about the application... HOW do they expect us to write anything meaningful and descriptive in the pathetic 480 character limit experience descriptions?!???!!! That isn't even a full paragraph of writing.. it's like... 3/4 of a paragraph :arghh: its so frustrating!!!

My RANT is about the application... HOW do they expect us to write anything meaningful and descriptive in the pathetic 480 character limit experience descriptions?!???!!! That isn't even a full paragraph of writing.. it's like... 3/4 of a paragraph :arghh: its so frustrating!!!

They don't want you to talk about how it changed your life - they just want to know what you did. "Monitored anesthesia for surgery, answered phones, ran inventory, placed IV catheters, gave medications as instructed by DVM." That sort of thing.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Tired and cranky. Decided to make a quesadilla for lunch. Chicken from earlier had sat too long in its lemon sauce and was too lemony to eat. Added queso sauce with the shredded cheese. Quesadilla ruined. I hate wasting food.

They don't want you to talk about how it changed your life - they just want to know what you did. "Monitored anesthesia for surgery, answered phones, ran inventory, placed IV catheters, gave medications as instructed by DVM." That sort of thing.
I guess but even still, it was hard to be general if you had multiple different experiences. I guess I was under the impression that they would have provided more space for us to elaborate instead of just list.

My mom is back in the ER tonight. I was supposed to be driving to Columbus this evening. Why the heck can't the powers that be pick on another family for a change?!?!?!?!?!

I guess but even still, it was hard to be general if you had multiple different experiences. I guess I was under the impression that they would have provided more space for us to elaborate instead of just list.

That's what the personal statement and interview are for.

A fairly minor thing, but still annoying. I'm on call today. Today was the Doctor Who Series 8 premiere. Emergency colic at 4:30, just got home now at 10:30. At least I have PVR....

hah my rant was not even accepted on this thread... I was looking for someone to share in my frustrations. My NEW rant is how my previous rant backfired on me.

hah my rant was not even accepted on this thread... I was looking for someone to share in my frustrations. My NEW rant is how my previous rant backfired on me.
character limits were the bane of my existence on my vet school apps. one school asked for an explanation of research activities in <60 characters. seriously not possible. i spent that summer telling people who were ranting on fb about word count limits how grateful they ought to be that it wasnt character count limits instead!

This is just not a good weekend for it to be so darn busy at work. We're short staffed and almost all working ten hour days, and I'm still dealing some stomach bug I picked up 8 days ago in Nicaragua. And my throat hurts and I'm not sure if I'm getting another bug on top of this one or if its from nausea related reflux. I just want to go home and lie in bed and watch Netflix all day while cuddling my cats. But I'm still here for 5 more hours, not acutely ill enough to feel right going home sick when we're so short handed.

character limits were the bane of my existence on my vet school apps. one school asked for an explanation of research activities in <60 characters. seriously not possible. i spent that summer telling people who were ranting on fb about word count limits how grateful they ought to be that it wasnt character count limits instead!
Wow! Yeah I guess I should be glad that it isn't less! 60 characters is like nothing hahaha, why even write anything!! J/k! And thanks for your post :happy: I am slowly but surely getting everything down to the right character limit I was just bummed so many details about my experiences couldn't make it in. But I do see why the limits have to be short, it must be so hard for application reviewers to go through all the apps!

Wow! Yeah I guess I should be glad that it isn't less! 60 characters is like nothing hahaha, why even write anything!! J/k! And thanks for your post :happy: I am slowly but surely getting everything down to the right character limit I was just bummed so many details about my experiences couldn't make it in. But I do see why the limits have to be short, it must be so hard for application reviewers to go through all the apps!
you have to get creative and use kindergarten words ;) and abbreviations are your friend haha. and yeah idk why they wanted us ti write anything in 60 characters...pointless waste really

I've been trying to contact the volunteer coordinator in my LAH for weeks, also going into her office (never in). One of the other techs said that she's been on injury leave and was supposed to be back last Monday. I'm just itching to get a different experience after being in Small Animal Neuro for 2.5 years, and I'm getting frustrated at hearing nothing with semester starting tomorrow.

i am so irritated with my family. i simply do not understand why no one will come visit my home in raleigh to spend time with me. my parents are very graciously babysitting my dog while i am at an external rotation for 2 weeks and we've started chatting about how i am getting him back. its 6+ hours for me to drive back home and 2-3h for me to get from the NC coast to raleigh. i thought someone would take the excuse to come hang out for the weekend, but suddenly its all well lets figure out a good place to meet on the side of the road so we can put him in your car. now i know you're thinking i'm perhaps being harsh and ungrateful, but my going to ncsu for my 4th year was a BIG DEAL because OMG YOU"LL BE SO MUCH CLOSER TO HOME!!!!!!!!! for people who worked pretty darn hard to convince me that ncsu>uga (location was a minor part of the decision), they sure don't seem to care about that anymore. and this isnt the only time i've tried to get them to visit. i was very sad and lonely in my new place back in early july, and my moms excuse was well we cant we have swim team. i cant really come home easily for a weekend either. i have lots of on call hours where i'm required to be within 20 mins of school even if the probability of getting called is extremely low. its also a long drive for someone working 60+ hour weeks.

i'm just annoyed. i'm grateful for the financial support i've received all my life, but the emotional support has been pretty darn pitiful throughout the years.

Starting off the first day of school with my dog puking on my bed in the middle of the night.

Yuck, I'm sorry! My dog used to do that all the time before he got diagnosed with IBD. Now he gets metoclopramide 3x a day, so the vomiting has slowed way down.

I feel for you, it is fun! Hope you can have a good first day despite the vomit!

First off, wow I am so grateful to have found this amazing web page. Okay, time to rant! I am currently applying to vet schools (1st time applicant) and am SO frustrated with the faculty of my Animal Science department at my "prestigious" university. Months and months in advance I asked a couple of teachers whom which I have had a close student-teacher relationship to be evaluators for me on my application. Well, the applications open and I blast an email to them both saying thanks again for agreeing, your evaluation is ready to go. Two weeks later: Nothing. Resend email. One month later: Nothing. Call animal science department. Nothing. dean of students, referred to College of Agriculture. Department Head tells me to give up. HOW can a school do this?! I was told by both teachers that they would be accessible during the summer (one is retired and the other is on sabbatical this quarter so I can't just wait for school to be back in session) and now they are MIA. I feel so hopeless and betrayed by these teachers and the university. I even did this additional project for one of them during an internship in Ecuador and now when I need something, was promised something, I'm chewed up and spat out by CSU education. Any advice is welcome

First off, wow I am so grateful to have found this amazing web page. Okay, time to rant! I am currently applying to vet schools (1st time applicant) and am SO frustrated with the faculty of my Animal Science department at my "prestigious" university. Months and months in advance I asked a couple of teachers whom which I have had a close student-teacher relationship to be evaluators for me on my application. Well, the applications open and I blast an email to them both saying thanks again for agreeing, your evaluation is ready to go. Two weeks later: Nothing. Resend email. One month later: Nothing. Call animal science department. Nothing. dean of students, referred to College of Agriculture. Department Head tells me to give up. HOW can a school do this?! I was told by both teachers that they would be accessible during the summer (one is retired and the other is on sabbatical this quarter so I can't just wait for school to be back in session) and now they are MIA. I feel so hopeless and betrayed by these teachers and the university. I even did this additional project for one of them during an internship in Ecuador and now when I need something, was promised something, I'm chewed up and spat out by CSU education. Any advice is welcome
I'm so sorry to hear about your problem :/ As a 1st time applicant this year as well I really feel for you. It has been a constant worry of mine that the letters won't be in on time. If you are attempting to get in your app before the Sept 2nd deadline, do you at least have one ELOR in?Because they can still verify your app with one letter submitted. Did you already put all of their info into the application, so they have received the log in info from VMCAS? Maybe you can keep trying to contact them in any way possible? Or in the meantime resort to asking other people you know to write you letters? If anything, if they do submit your letters eventually, having more letters is better than too few.

What the hell. That's horrible! As a first-time applicant myself, I am so sorry you're going through this :( Getting eLors was the hardest thing for me too. But promising and then going MIA is just plain wrong. Well, I had teachers that I had close relationships with say no but a teacher that I thought would say no, said yes, even gladly. So, my advice is maybe ask someone else? I know it's getting late in the game, but if you give them until October 2nd, it should still be ok. Do you have an advisor that you can bring this up with? Pre-vet or pre-health office?

Oh I feel your pain! The one professor I ha a great relationship with (aced physio class and Ta'ed for) still hasn't e-mailed me, and I asked and sent him the eLOR informed day the app opened! I'm not sure what I should do, as I don't know really any other professor that closely and I don't want to jump my advisor so late in the process.

Disappointed that my hot physical therapist isn't here today. The guy I had was nice, but wasn't my normal eye candy!

I'm so sorry to hear about your problem :/ As a 1st time applicant this year as well I really feel for you. It has been a constant worry of mine that the letters won't be in on time. If you are attempting to get in your app before the Sept 2nd deadline, do you at least have one ELOR in?Because they can still verify your app with one letter submitted. Did you already put all of their info into the application, so they have received the log in info from VMCAS? Maybe you can keep trying to contact them in any way possible? Or in the meantime resort to asking other people you know to write you letters? If anything, if they do submit your letters eventually, having more letters is better than too few.

Thank you so much for the sympathy (and advice!) I have been fortunate enough to have already gotten two LORs completed and two more guaranteed on the way. I no longer care if one of the teachers stays MIA but one of them promised me to attest for my in-depth independent senior project and additional projects I completed for him which I feel I desperately need to be exemplified. I will continue to try but the whole thing is exhausting and very disheartening. Good luck on the apps!!!

What the hell. That's horrible! As a first-time applicant myself, I am so sorry you're going through this :( Getting eLors was the hardest thing for me too. But promising and then going MIA is just plain wrong. Well, I had teachers that I had close relationships with say no but a teacher that I thought would say no, said yes, even gladly. So, my advice is maybe ask someone else? I know it's getting late in the game, but if you give them until October 2nd, it should still be ok. Do you have an advisor that you can bring this up with? Pre-vet or pre-health office?

Thanks for the reply, Glad to hear you got some teachers to make your evals for you! Thankfully I do have 4 LORs that are either completed or on the way but this one teacher in particular is so necessary to my application that I can't just let it go and ask someone else. The unfortunate thing still is that I can't just go nuts on the department, take up the issue with the school, etc quite yet because I still need a killer LOR which I worry this professor will be much less inclined to provide if he gets in some kind of trouble (not that I believe the school would do a thing). So I'm still stuck pretending to be patient and nice even though I want to scream! Hopefully, since I do have some time the issue will resolve but it's just too big of a deal to let go.. Crossing my fingers :\

Sometimes I swear my bf can be so effing thick-headed sometimes. I've been trying to help him find his texbooks for the semester, mind you he's going to school 2.5 hours away and is an engineering major. I found him an $80 book for $50, offer to buy it and mail it to him and he pay me back later, and he keeps giving me bullpoopie ambiguous answers when my seller is waiting for a response. As someone who like getting things done here and now, this crap's gotta go.

Holy day before a holiday weekend hell.

I just... there are no words for the cluster that is today. Can someone send me a puppy vaccine appointment?

Reactions: 2 users

I just... there are no words for the cluster that is today. Can someone send me a puppy vaccine appointment?
haha! Yeah, I seem to recall every "hours before officially closed for a holiday" that people suddenly realize they should do something about their animals ailments that have been around since last weekend or even longer...

Seriously! Nothing like working alone on the Friday before labor day. I need a drink.

Seriously! Nothing like working alone on the Friday before labor day. I need a drink.
I'm working a six hour ER shift on Labor Day. SO EXCITED. (Yes, I have problems.)

I'm working a six hour ER shift on Labor Day. SO EXCITED. (Yes, I have problems.)
eh you'll be fine - the problems come at the end of the day when people are done with their celebrations and come home to their pets with problems, or they wait until the very next morning to address the mess.

eh you'll be fine - the problems come at the end of the day when people are done with their celebrations and come home to their pets with problems, or they wait until the very next morning to address the mess.
I actually love it ;) I meant I have problems in that I enjoy when sick pets come in so I can see some cool cases!

I actually love it ;) I meant I have problems in that I enjoy when sick pets come in so I can see some cool cases!
i had to sit down and thoroughly explain to my parents that when i am "home" in december, i am not on break and that i will be externing at a hospital. that was followed by oh you mean you'll get paid? *facepalm* no, it means that i will actually get to graduate!!

I saw 26 patients today. Three were vaccines. four cat bite abscesses, three URIs, lacerated paw, corn cob ingestion, feline PCV of 9, canine PCV of 15, shoulder OCD, and tetraparesis were the "highlights" of my day. fill in the rest with "emergency" ears/eyes/skin and that sums up my day.

And after all that, instead of drinking heavily, I decided to drive five and a half hours to visit family for the weekend. I'm wiped. And my hand still smells like abscess.

Cowgirl - you definitely win in numbers! Geez. I had the variety pack: URI, neck-Dachshund, limping, lump, skin, DKA turned euthanasia, regular euthanasia, diabetes+melena+pulmonary edema, and a bunch of vaccines.

Nstarz - I loved emergency in school too but it's a little different being the only vet in the building and seeing all these as 15 minute appointments and not having the ability to hospitalize anything. It's just a lot of pressure.

There haven't really been more appointments than usual at the clinic I work at (as a tech) the past couple days (knock on wood that Tuesday isn't insane...), but the kennel is CRAZY. We have twenty-one boarding animals this weekend (around a dozen is average), including aggressive dogs, insanely hyper dogs, and an aggressive diabetic cat. I'm so not looking forward to doing treatments tonight and Monday morning.

I caught the vet school plague. My whole body hurts, I can't hardly breathe, and I'm weak. Weakness and crutches don't mix well. Ugh.

At least it's a 3 day weekend.