RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely blanked on the term "farrowing" earlier today during a final. I'm a genius. :rolleyes:

Just four more horrible finals to go!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't feel bad. I had a question on boards where I was like "Wait. I'm not sure what species that is."
One of our equine surgeons likes to tell the story where he answered several questions on the ECFVG about guinea pigs... when he couldn't for the life of him remember what a guinea pig was. Makes me feel better. :p

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't heard anything on the residency front, and at least a couple of the 10 schools I applied to should have done phone interviews by now. I got one email essentially saying, "We aren't interviewing you; we're not NOT interested... but we still aren't interviewing you" and that's it. Starting to feel panicky :(

Didn't realize this had actually happened until now, and just thought they had introduced a new cider, but I'm really upset that they have discontinued the original Strongbow Dry Cider and replaced it with a sweeter one in the US.
Boo that sucks! I started drinking their cider overseas and it's so good when it isn't so sugary.

I haven't heard anything on the residency front, and at least a couple of the 10 schools I applied to should have done phone interviews by now. I got one email essentially saying, "We aren't interviewing you; we're not NOT interested... but we still aren't interviewing you" and that's it. Starting to feel panicky :(

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you! :luck:

Reactions: 1 user

My mantra of "Tomorrow!" is turning into "Tomorrow? Maybe? Please?"

I feel your pain. After teching for 9 years, and watching people you trained get interviews before you do, it's the hardest thing in the world. Every school told me no last year. I haven't heard from any this year, except for a waitlst interview at mwu but like 10 other people got that too. I have a low gpa, a low gre, 15,000 hours of experience good elors, but I guess it isn't enough. Sorry I got a D in orgo, retook it and got a B, had a bad genetics teacher also got a D retook it with someone else and got an A, but it made my gpa low still, no forgiveness. I know really smart people who worked hard and have perfect stats got into vetschool, are great vets etc.... But I also know really smart veterinarianswho are overly smart and cannot function in society and lack common sense. So where is the balance? Can they just not interview a person with not so great academics with a shi*tload of experience? I've been in this field long enough to know that I want it. I'm feeling panicky too, it sucks. Waiting sucks. +pity+ But maybe we will get lucky. Hang in there fingers crossed for both of us.:xf::xf:

One of these days when I'm told we're gonna learn about wildlife diseases, I'd like to actually learn about the diseases. Not learn for the tenth time how we do surveillance, or the epidemiology of them, or hearing one more time about domestic dogs being rabies reservoirs for wild dogs in Africa or distemper in big cats. And I'd actually like to learn about wildlife, I dunno, on this continent? Africa's cool and all, but 99% of us are never going to do any work there, and while we all love elephants and lions, there is wildlife in places other than Africa.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel your pain. After teching for 9 years, and watching people you trained get interviews before you do, it's the hardest thing in the world. Every school told me no last year. I haven't heard from any this year, except for a waitlst interview at mwu but like 10 other people got that too. I have a low gpa, a low gre, 15,000 hours of experience good elors, but I guess it isn't enough. Sorry I got a D in orgo, retook it and got a B, had a bad genetics teacher also got a D retook it with someone else and got an A, but it made my gpa low still, no forgiveness. I know really smart people who worked hard and have perfect stats got into vetschool, are great vets etc.... But I also know really smart veterinarianswho are overly smart and cannot function in society and lack common sense. So where is the balance? Can they just not interview a person with not so great academics with a shi*tload of experience? I've been in this field long enough to know that I want it. I'm feeling panicky too, it sucks. Waiting sucks. +pity+ But maybe we will get lucky. Hang in there fingers crossed for both of us.:xf::xf:

I can completely relate with you. I'm hoping it counts for something that while my GPA may not be stellar by vet school standards, I have completed a science-based degree, taking 18 hours a semester, while also working 40+ hours per week for 5 years in a clinic that I love. Hoping this will shine through my application. Keep reminding myself that it only takes one school. Good luck to you!

I can completely relate with you. I'm hoping it counts for something that while my GPA may not be stellar by vet school standards, I have completed a science-based degree, taking 18 hours a semester, while also working 40+ hours per week for 5 years in a clinic that I love. Hoping this will shine through my application. Keep reminding myself that it only takes one school. Good luck to you!
Good luck to you as well maybe this will be the year!!a fingers crossed for you too:xf::xf::xf:

My mom calls me all the time about the animals at home. The most recent one being
"Gwen, the St. Bernard is limping and crying. What should we do?"
"Take her to the vet."
"But x-rays are expensive. We don't have the money."
(Maybe you shouldn't have gotten an animal that's predisposed to orthopedic problems then...)
"Splint it until you can get to the vet. I can't tell you what's wrong with her from >100 miles away. And even then I can't tell you anything. I'm not a vet."

Maybe one day she'll realize that I know nothing and stop calling me until I have my degree.

My mom calls me all the time about the animals at home. The most recent one being
"Take her to the vet."
(Maybe you shouldn't have gotten an animal that's predisposed to orthopedic problems then...)
"Splint it until you can get to the vet. I can't tell you what's wrong with her from >100 miles away. And even then I can't tell you anything. I'm not a vet."

Maybe one day she'll realize that I know nothing and stop calling me until I have my degree.
nope

Members don't see this ad :)
"Take her to the vet."

My mom does this too. And my landlady does it... and then immediately contradicts whatever small bit of information I might be able to give her.

"Take her to the vet."

you probably still cant fix it over the phone from >100 mi away though... (aka go to the vet)

i'm sorry :( i am currently working with one of those smart people with no people skills. its miserable and annoying.

My mom does this too. And my landlady does it... and then immediately contradicts whatever small bit of information I might be able to give her.
Earlier today at the yarn store with my roommate... "Oh you're a vet student? My cat hasn't been to the vet since she was like 7. She's thirteen now, super healthy although she's a little thin! They were trying to make me get her teeth cleaned last time but they wanted to do tests ahead of time and it all just seemed really ridiculously expensive yada yada yada."

Ugh. Woman, I'm in a store where I don't think there's a freaking ball of yarn that's less than $10, please, continue to bitch about how expensive my profession that provides medical care is. Thankfully another woman with five cats and a vet that she loves walked in and did some preaching for me. :p

I was kind of in your boat when I was applying to vet school - low GPA, fair GRE but lots of experience. I remember joining here and reading all of the successful applicant threads, feeling discouraged by every 3.5+GPA and letting myself feel a little hope at every 3.0 GPA. Long story short, I'm going to graduate in six months. All I needed was that one school to take a chance on me, and I've done well in vet school. I hope you can be giving someone else the same pep talk in a few years time :) Hang in there!

Reactions: 3 users
Getting called in to work an overnight shift on your weekend...when you've already been up all day.

I really like it and just want to sit in bed and watch it now instead of studying the GI system and diarrhea.

Binge watched the entire thing a few days ago. The last three seconds keep going through my head and I keep thinking, "Oh my god, Frank!!!!"

Binge watched the entire thing a few days ago. The last three seconds keep going through my head and I keep thinking, "Oh my god, Frank!!!!"

Very very twisty!!! But a great show!!

Reactions: 1 users
I can't believe there is still an entire month left before we get to the shortest day of the year. I feel like I am just living in darkness these days. Which I guess I pretty much am, since I spend the vast majority of my daylight hours in a windowless room. Hopefully I'll have time over break to put up Christmas decorations to brighten everything up for all these dark evenings studying! It's gonna be hard to find the time though, because my apartment's too messy to decorate, I'm spending most of thanksgiving day doing vet related stuff (which at least will be fun :)), and I have an online exam to take by Friday, and I work all weekend (probably not getting as much homework done as I'd like because it's a holiday weekend and thus everyone's pets will inevitably be dying). At least I get to do some of those things at home during the day in front of a window :heckyeah:

Philly is supposed to get like 2-4 inches of snow tomorrow but my hometown is looking at possibly 6+ inches. I have class tomorrow from 9-12 which has mandatory attendance. You're allowed to miss up to 2 lecture hours before your grade is affected...trying to decide if I'm going to take the hit gradewise or bring all my pets to class tomorrow and leave after the first hour.

I know I already ranted about this, but having to work at 6 AM on a holiday at my non-vet med related job seriously blows. I also have to work at 6 AM Black Friday, but it's a call center, so it won't be as bad as real retail.

having the "your pet is dying. Quickly" conversation, over the phone. On thanksgiving. With the entire family listening in to the conversation. Fingers crossed that e-clinic care helps this little guy before money runs out :-/

team b gave all the transfers to team a this morning, despite claiming we'd share pick ups this weekend...so all of team a is at school until who knows when while the others are off enjoying themselves (guess which team is getting ALL the transfers tomorrow...) hmph. also, you dont make me feel better when after you text me to tell me which case i have, that you're sorry its such a mess and so complex. in fact, thats kind of like throwing salt in my face.

guess it doesnt really matter anyway though, because i dont have any family or friends here to spend thanksgiving with. everyone else is all excited about all their wonderful plans for this evening. just me and my pets...

The junk mail filter on my mac e-mail is no longer working. I tried resetting it and still no go.
And this time of year, the junk mail is overwhelming.

Tired of getting and deleting messages about 20,30, 40% off etc.

team b gave all the transfers to team a this morning, despite claiming we'd share pick ups this weekend...so all of team a is at school until who knows when while the others are off enjoying themselves (guess which team is getting ALL the transfers tomorrow...) hmph. also, you dont make me feel better when after you text me to tell me which case i have, that you're sorry its such a mess and so complex. in fact, thats kind of like throwing salt in my face.

guess it doesnt really matter anyway though, because i dont have any family or friends here to spend thanksgiving with. everyone else is all excited about all their wonderful plans for this evening. just me and my pets...
Just me and my animals too, plus I don't even have any real food or drink in the house if that makes you feel better. Trying to study for exams, get my lab work done to make deadline of next friday for results all while being fueled by chicken nuggets. It will hopefully pay off eventually is what I keep telling myself. Maybe you can have a Thanksgiving margarita later to go with that salt stuck on your face. :)

Just me and my animals too, plus I don't even have any real food or drink in the house if that makes you feel better. Trying to study for exams, get my lab work done to make deadline of next friday for results all while being fueled by chicken nuggets. It will hopefully pay off eventually is what I keep telling myself. Maybe you can have a Thanksgiving margarita later to go with that salt stuck on your face. :)

Spending the day with my pups too. On call until saturday so cant even drink. and the grocery situation in this house is bleak but i refuse to brave the stores today or tomorrow. -sigh-

I need to get more paper towels because I forgot to pick them up yesterday.... I should probably just go get it over with... but the snow and the people... maybe it won't be too crowded right now?

Also it was -2 out this morning... please remind me when I apply for internships next year that I am not to apply to anywhere that the temperatures get below freezing because this freezing temperatures thing is not working for my desert heart.

Gramma, I love you, I really do, but we've been playing cards for 2 hours and I know it sounds silly to say I have to do homework and study on Thanksgiving, but that's only because I HAVE TO DO HOMEWORK AND STUDY. Trust me, I don't like it either, but I have a final exam due tomorrow and a crap ton of online modules to get through by Tuesday. No I'm not just saying it to get out of playing another round with you. And no, you are not helping me by trying to read through the modules over my shoulder and asking me to wait because you haven't finished reading about the bovine anthrax yet. uuugh just go find one of my sisters to bother please?!

I work in an already understaffed vet hospital, and two people were allowed to take off today (black Friday) and no one was able to fill in for them, leaving us VERY understaffed. Another person, who has not worked a black Friday in the 5 years I've worked here, was told that should could not take off today for any reason. So I come in this morning and there was a message on the machine, this girl called out, leaving us totally screwed and we have a surgery today too. This will likely mean that my one co-worker and I won't get to take lunch. Oh, and her reason for calling out, she has no one to watch her daughter, because she didn't know that she was going to need child care today?!

My parents' neighbors were over the other night. One of them mentioned that he was traveling to Peru and can't wait to eat guinea pig again (he knows I have guinea pigs). I found it really insensitive to say, especially since he knows how much my pigs mean to me. I told them that I was paying someone to come over to my apartment while I was away to take care of them and that I spend quite a bit every month on them. His wife's response was- "ew, they are so gross":mad:

Making arrangements to go home for Thanksgiving since I hadn't seen anyone since August. I was sooooo excited!

Realizing no one else cared = holiday sucked.

I could have stayed at school and studied.

My parents' neighbors were over the other night. One of them mentioned that he was traveling to Peru and can't wait to eat guinea pig again (he knows I have guinea pigs). I found it really insensitive to say, especially since he knows how much my pigs mean to me. I told them that I was paying someone to come over to my apartment while I was away to take care of them and that I spend quite a bit every month on them. His wife's response was- "ew, they are so gross":mad:
:( my little bite back at poorly made guinea pig remarks is that my 1st gp died the same day we watched a video in school where they were eating guinea pigs. that makes things really awkward for the other person usually and then they change the subject and then my piggie is free of rude remarks :D

Boo for rude neighbors.

This weeks off to a great start...I can barely move my back is hurting so bad. It's making the simplest tasks extremely difficult. Found my clean sweatpants that I accidentally forgot about in the dryer on the laundry room floor thanks for that roomie. At least there is only a week of classes then finals and I'll be headed home for the holidays.

Just got back from a group project presentation that was structured similarly to a thesis defense. My gripe is not with being asked challenging questions; rather, it is with the holier-than-thou attitude of the TAs evaluating my group and the verbal attacks I received from the four of them freaking out over the semantics of some terminology I used. Then I get told that I'm not allowed to speak unless I'm called on for the rest of the defense because they want to hear from the other group members. I wasn't even allowed to help give them clues if they had trouble answering the questions. Fair enough, but they essentially told me to shut up. (Side note: I did my best to prepare everybody beforehand, but I can't force people to learn all of the material if they're not willing).

It's just frustrating because I've definitely been the dud in a group project in the past, but I'm not like that anymore. To finally be at a point in my life where I know my **** and take leadership only to be subjected to such rudeness and disrespect as a fellow student is so infuriating. And of course I let the antagonism get the best of me and snapped at the TAs a few times during the presentation, so I'll probably lose points for professionalism or something. Ok, vent over.

Just got back from a group project presentation that was structured similarly to a thesis defense. My gripe is not with being asked challenging questions; rather, it is with the holier-than-thou attitude of the TAs evaluating my group and the verbal attacks I received from the four of them freaking out over the semantics of some terminology I used. Then I get told that I'm not allowed to speak unless I'm called on for the rest of the defense because they want to hear from the other group members. I wasn't even allowed to help give them clues if they had trouble answering the questions. Fair enough, but they essentially told me to shut up. (Side note: I did my best to prepare everybody beforehand, but I can't force people to learn all of the material if they're not willing).

It's just frustrating because I've definitely been the dud in a group project in the past, but I'm not like that anymore. To finally be at a point in my life where I know my **** and take leadership only to be subjected to such rudeness and disrespect as a fellow student is so infuriating. And of course I let the antagonism get the best of me and snapped at the TAs a few times during the presentation, so I'll probably lose points for professionalism or something. Ok, vent over.
As someone who is currently teaching and TAing, I am going to say look at it from their perspective. Rudeness is unacceptable, and I am not defending them there. Different TAs have different preferences regarding what they are looking for, and sometimes that is made clear and sometimes that isn't. But the one thing I will defend them on is quieting someone who is more talkative in the group.

Looking at the perspective of the TA/teacher, they are trying to adequately grade every member of the group. If you talked the entire time and one group member didn't talk at all, does that mean I should give that group member an F? How do I know that this person doesn't know absolutely everything to a T but is just a bit of an introvert? Or that he doesn't feel compelled to talk bc you seem to be handling it nicely? The point is that the TA wants everyone to do well (at least all of the ones I know) but can't give everyone in that group a great grade if one person completely dominates the presentation. Thus, they will ask certain people to step it back a bit this way we can assess other people in the group.

Same goes for even non graded stuff. I appreciate everyone that is super passionate about the subject and wants to answer every single question I have for them. But after awhile, this simply detracts from the ability of others to learn. Trust me when I say TAs don't fault you for this, in fact most of them I would say would be happy that you are so passionate about it. But they have a whole class to worry about, and as much as they want to fuel your passion with the material, they want to fuel the whole classes passion.

I agree it's frustrating. I used to be the exact same way. But just try thinking about the other side of things as well.

As someone who is currently teaching and TAing, I am going to say look at it from their perspective. Rudeness is unacceptable, and I am not defending them there. Different TAs have different preferences regarding what they are looking for, and sometimes that is made clear and sometimes that isn't. But the one thing I will defend them on is quieting someone who is more talkative in the group.

Looking at the perspective of the TA/teacher, they are trying to adequately grade every member of the group. If you talked the entire time and one group member didn't talk at all, does that mean I should give that group member an F? How do I know that this person doesn't know absolutely everything to a T but is just a bit of an introvert? Or that he doesn't feel compelled to talk bc you seem to be handling it nicely? The point is that the TA wants everyone to do well (at least all of the ones I know) but can't give everyone in that group a great grade if one person completely dominates the presentation. Thus, they will ask certain people to step it back a bit this way we can assess other people in the group.

Same goes for even non graded stuff. I appreciate everyone that is super passionate about the subject and wants to answer every single question I have for them. But after awhile, this simply detracts from the ability of others to learn. Trust me when I say TAs don't fault you for this, in fact most of them I would say would be happy that you are so passionate about it. But they have a whole class to worry about, and as much as they want to fuel your passion with the material, they want to fuel the whole classes passion.

I agree it's frustrating. I used to be the exact same way. But just try thinking about the other side of things as well.
I totally get where you're coming from, and I probably would have silenced myself too had I been in their shoes, but I would have gone about it completely differently. Like.. you asked me a question. Let me finish my thought, then politely indicate you'd like to hear from the other members. Pompousness and telling me to shut up... Aint got no respect. o_O

Bent my pinkie toe sideways on a box my boyfriend has left sitting around for ages... five hours later, still throbbing, swollen and hurts to walk on. Pretty sure that's broken. :( Rather unimpressed with him (and my clumsiness) right now.

Toe still hurts to walk on, lost my car key somewhere, and to finish it off, my ferret Darwin was ultrasounded today after routine bloodwork showed a decreased glucose and surprise surprise for a ferret, he has insulinoma.

Add in my roommate calling me a worrywart about him (apparently if you actually pay attention to your animals and get them medical treatment, that's excessive worrying) and I'm really just not a fan of today.

Sad little shaved belly, still sleeping off his drugs:

1aPKUpl.jpg

Last edited: