RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like OSHA would be all over that and your hospital would be very much not OSHA compliant and face fines if you are doing X-rays without a badge.
Yeah I was trying to think back to my (very limited, as in they finally got around to it about two days before I left) OSHA training, and I feel like the badges were included in that. Even when they could have used my help, they always had someone else who had a badge assist, so it seemed pretty important.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like OSHA would be all over that and your hospital would be very much not OSHA compliant and face fines if you are doing X-rays without a badge.
WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?! For the love of Pete. The tech who is responsible for OSHA in the clinic said that it's basically a joke in the hospital. I'm totally fine with passing on xrays until I 'earn' a badge...the other assistant is getting one now that she's been here for three months. When I asked the manager if I had a badge, that's when she said "Not yet. Oh, Susie (not her actual name...lol), you can get yours now though. It's been three months." I helped with like five today....measly numbers, but still.

"1910.1096(d)(2)Every employer shall supply appropriate personnel monitoring equipment, such as film badges, pocket chambers, pocket dosimeters, or film rings, and shall require the use of such equipment by: 1910.1096(d)(2)(i)Each employee who enters a restricted area under such circumstances that he receives, or is likely to receive, a dose in any calendar quarter in excess of 25 percent of the applicable value specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section; and 1910.1096(d)(2)(ii)Each employee under 18 years of age who enters a restricted area under such circumstances that he receives, or is likely to receive, a dose in any calendar quarter in excess of 5 percent of the applicable value specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section; and 1910.1096(d)(2)(iii)Each employee who enters a high radiation area. 1910.1096(d)(3)As used in this section: 1910.1096(d)(3)(i)Personnel monitoring equipment means devices designed to be worn or carried by an individual for the purpose of measuring the dose received (e.g., film badges, pocket chambers, pocket dosimeters, film rings, etc.);"

Welp, there it is. Michigan's OSHA website.

Members don't see this ad :)
WHAT HAVE I GOTTEN MYSELF INTO?! For the love of Pete. The tech who is responsible for OSHA in the clinic said that it's basically a joke in the hospital. I'm totally fine with passing on xrays until I 'earn' a badge...the other assistant is getting one now that she's been here for three months. When I asked the manager if I had a badge, that's when she said "Not yet. Oh, Susie (not her actual name...lol), you can get yours now though. It's been three months." I helped with like five today....measly numbers, but still.

We would occasionally joke about *some* of the OSHA requirements, because some of them are downright hilarious... but we always still took them seriously as you don't want to be in violation of them.

I do believe it is necessary for you to have a dosimeter badge to take xrays, my place of work wouldn't even allow me to assist with xrays when I happened to be in on a day off and didn't have my badge with me... I could be wrong about this being required though, so don't quote me on it.

or is likely to receive, a dose in any calendar quarter in excess of 25 percent of the applicable value specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section
Yeah, I found this too, the only thing I'm wondering about is this particular statement, because I'm not sure how many x-rays you would have to assist with in order to be close to that limit

We would occasionally joke about *some* of the OSHA requirements, because some of them are downright hilarious... but we always still took them seriously as you don't want to be in violation of them.

I do believe it is necessary for you to have a dosimeter badge to take xrays, my place of work wouldn't even allow me to assist with xrays when I happened to be in on a day off and didn't have my badge with me... I could be wrong about this being required though, so don't quote me on it.
I mean I totally get that some OSHA req's are just a pain. But when you're dealing with radiation and it's something as easy as ordering me a badge...come on now. Now I'm just annoyed because all I had to do was Google it to see that it is clearly a violation to deny me a badge, yet expect me to assist.

Also, a side question: How critical are dosimeter badges? I assisted during x-rays today and asked if I already had a badge. The answer was no, and that I would have to wait until I was here longer to get one. It sounds like 3 months is kind of the intro period, and I will then get a set of keys and apparently a dosimeter badge. As much as I want to assist and learn, I don't want to be doing something and risking my health. I am of course wearing lead, but the badge is typically worn as well/.
I've been working at the clinic I'm at now for over 9 months and still don't have a badge. :/ I was told by the office manager in our most recent staff meeting that they wait until you've been there 6 months to order you one, and that she's going to get on that, so we'll see. One of the other techs who's been working here about a year and a half doesn't have one yet either, but she's also been trained as a receptionist and has been doing that primarily since shortly after I started. I wasn't familiar with the badges until I started working here, and I don't assist with X-rays very often (maybe 10 films a week maximum), but maybe I should be more annoyed/worried about it than I am?

I also haven't been given a key to the clinic, which annoys me slightly just because I was given a key to the last clinic I worked at after I'd been shadowing there for only a couple weeks, because they wanted to hire me on to do treatments some weekends. But I get that that's an unusual display of trust. :p Here we do treatments with two of us there at a time, which I much prefer.

Yeah, I found this too, the only thing I'm wondering about is this particular statement, because I'm not sure how many x-rays you would have to assist with in order to be close to that limit
Yeah I have no idea how to figure any of that out. I'm assuming distance to the source length of exposure, etc. are factors.

Plus, the x-ray room is not lead lined at all and the badges are hung outside the door. I'm not familiar with the scatter distance of their particular machine, but I'm assuming the badges aren't going to be very accurate anyways.

I mean I totally get that some OSHA req's are just a pain. But when you're dealing with radiation and it's something as easy as ordering me a badge...come on now. Now I'm just annoyed because all I had to do was Google it to see that it is clearly a violation to deny me a badge, yet expect me to assist.

Yeah, I wasn't referring to the radiation requirement as some of the "funny" things they require...

I've been working at the clinic I'm at now for over 9 months and still don't have a badge. :/ I was told by the office manager in our most recent staff meeting that they wait until you've been there 6 months to order you one, and that she's going to get on that, so we'll see. One of the other techs who's been working here about a year and a half doesn't have one yet either, but she's also been trained as a receptionist and has been doing that primarily since shortly after I started. I wasn't familiar with the badges until I started working here, and I don't assist with X-rays very often (maybe 10 films a week maximum), but maybe I should be more annoyed/worried about it than I am?

I also haven't been given a key to the clinic, which annoys me slightly just because I was given a key to the last clinic I worked at after I'd been shadowing there for only a couple weeks, because they wanted to hire me on to do treatments some weekends. But I get that that's an unusual display of trust. :p Here we do treatments with two of us there at a time, which I much prefer.
I totally understand why I don't have keys. It is my first week, after all. But after that three month mark hits, I will be assigned Sunday kennel duty and rotate with the other assistants, so I'll get keys then.

It seems to me that the 3 month thing might be a standard probationary period, since I had the same experience, and the office manager specifically said that they usually wait 3 months, but since I wasn't going to be there much longer than that it wouldn't be worth it to go to the trouble to get me a badge. But they shouldn't be expecting you to assist on a regular basis without one.
Yeah I have no idea how to figure any of that out. I'm assuming distance to the source length of exposure, etc. are factors.

Plus, the x-ray room is not lead lined at all and the badges are hung outside the door. I'm not familiar with the scatter distance of their particular machine, but I'm assuming the badges aren't going to be very accurate anyways.
The scatter distance on our machine was only 6 feet, and it wasn't in a separate room from the treatment area, so we would just have the doors that led to the exam rooms and the kennels closed. The badges were kept in a drawer that was probably at least 6 feet from the machine. After a while I started hanging out just far enough away that the scatter wasn't likely to reach me instead of scurrying out of the area entirely. Important bits behind a counter, of course :p

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, we see under 5 x-rays a day (usually), and I know that one of our techs had to stop taking them for 3 months b/c she reached the limit. Granted, this is going to depend on type of radiation machine, how the room is set up, and a bunch of other factors. So yeah, I am not too sure if you would hit the limit. Usually during that probationary period, you are not supposed to be taking any x-rays, or you are supposed to be a scurrier....

A lot... a whole lot. Probably wouldn't reach it in three months.
Pretty sure the limit is only attainable if you live next to a nuclear reactor. Our radiology techs at school who take rads all day long are not even close to the limit (a 10-fold away!).

But yeah, you need a badge. MI Department of public health would definitely poopoo your clinic. Have you talked to the office manager about it, @pinkpuppy9? Doesn't matter how long you've been there. If you are taking rads, you are required to have a badge. Honestly, it sounds like you are really struggling with this new place and they have put you in a few very unsafe situations. You may want to rethink if this is the best job for you and your health/well being. Take care of yourself.

I mean, we see under 5 x-rays a day (usually), and I know that one of our techs had to stop taking them for 3 months b/c she reached the limit. Granted, this is going to depend on type of radiation machine, how the room is set up, and a bunch of other factors. So yeah, I am not too sure if you would hit the limit. Usually during that probationary period, you are not supposed to be taking any x-rays, or you are supposed to be a scurrier....
I just find it funny that the manager demanded I wore the lead gloves, but won't provide a badge. :arghh: I hate to be a P.I.T.A., but I'll probably just say I'm not okay holding during x-rays without a badge from now on. They'll have to pull aside the other tech, I guess.
Pretty sure the limit is only attainable if you live next to a nuclear reactor. Our radiology techs at school who take rads all day long are not even close to the limit (a 10-fold away!).

But yeah, you need a badge. MI Department of public health would definitely poopoo your clinic. Have you talked to the office manager about it, @pinkpuppy9? Doesn't matter how long you've been there. If you are taking rads, you are required to have a badge. Honestly, it sounds like you are really struggling with this new place and they have put you in a few very unsafe situations. You may want to rethink if this is the best job for you and your health/well being. Take care of yourself.
Me right now: :bang:

I want to give it time. It seems that this clinic cuts a lot of corners in order to save money (or sometimes, it's just a lack of effort). I mean, there are mice running around in the surgical suite. I vacuumed mouse crap out of the drawers/cabinets that house the sterile packs. There are inches of caked on dirt built up in the corners of the floors. It just sucks that I could soon be scrubbing in for the first time, drawing blood, placing catheters, etc.

The office manager is the person who told me I wasn't getting a badge until my 3-month mark. And I definitely asked everyone if I needed a badge to be doing what I was doing and I got "Don't worry about it." Even from the OSHA tech.

And I do live near a nuclear power plant.....

I mean, there are mice running around in the surgical suite. I vacuumed mouse crap out of the drawers/cabinets that house the sterile packs. There are inches of caked on dirt built up in the corners of the floors.
:uhno:

Reactions: 1 users
And I do live near a nuclear power plant.....
Let me rephrase.. A nuclear reactor experiencing a meltdown :). But all joking aside, badges are important to make sure the equipment is functioning properly and not giving off insane doses of radiation. This clinic sounds like a trainwreck. There are a lot of clinics in MI that are willing to give you good quality experience, you just gotta look for them. This place does not sound like it can offer you that. I bet you those mice are just waiting to nibble into those surgery packs and contaminate the **** out of them, no pun intended.

Reactions: 2 users
The worst part is that I am the type of employee who takes it upon herself to fix everything. Which might be exactly what is needed (except I might not be the right person to get rid of mice...). The rest of the staff certainly work hard. I just think the lack of moral over many years has led to a run-down clinic. Plus the building is over 50 years old and has recently flooded.
Let me rephrase.. A nuclear reactor experiencing a meltdown :). But all joking aside, badges are important to make sure the equipment is functioning properly and not giving off insane doses of radiation. This clinic sounds like a trainwreck. There are a lot of clinics in MI that are willing to give you good quality experience, you just gotta look for them. This place does not sound like it can offer you that. I bet you those mice are just waiting to nibble into those surgery packs and contaminate the **** out of them, no pun intended.
Yeah it's already happened. I had to repackage some things and toss unused envelopes all together because they have been chewed on. :( I want to work for a clinic I'd be comfortable bringing my animals to. I can tell you that as of now, my animals would never step foot in this hospital. I just don't want to jump the gun and leave after my first week. It was the only clinic hiring within 45 minutes, too.

I dunno if the dosimeter is the same for people working with radioactive substances (I'm guessing radiation limit is the same regardless of source). But when I did and went through radiation training, I was told that taking your dosimeter with you accidentally on a long flight will be enough to get you flagged for high exposure. So it actually doesn't take much. Pretty sure I was told that if you put the dosimeter in the primary beam of an xray, it'll get there real fast as well.

The worst part is that I am the type of employee who takes it upon herself to fix everything. Which might be exactly what is needed (except I might not be the right person to get rid of mice...). The rest of the staff certainly work hard. I just think the lack of moral over many years has led to a run-down clinic. Plus the building is over 50 years old and has recently flooded.

Here's the thing. It's really easy to see and notice dysfunction in an organization or business that you are an employee of. It might be even easy to see all of the easy little solutions that will make profound positive changes. The simpler these changes are (e.g. Cleaning...), the more hopeless the situation is. The place isn't dirty because this clinic was never graced with the presence of a worthy employee who valued cleanliness. Trust me on this one...

The hard part is realizing that no matter how hard any one person at the bottom of the totem pole tries (includes most employees including the associate vets), it doesn't matter. Your moral compass doesn't matter. In fact it may even make things worse. The dysfunction usually exists because the people who matter are dysfunctional and will not change things for the better, and there is no convincing them to. Otherwise you wouldn't have such longstanding dysfunction.

If the place is truly dysfunctional and/or toxic, you either leave and find a better place... Or you grin and bear it and do the best you can within the constraints of the dysfunctional workplace. You maaaay bring about small changes... Little victories... (like being able to throw out moldy food from the staff lounge every week). The overhaul, however, will never happen. The more you try, the more resentment you will build, and the closer you will get to the apathetic gossipy phase that is toxic to your own well being.

Here's the thing. It's really easy to see and notice dysfunction in an organization or business that you are an employee of. It might be even easy to see all of the easy little solutions that will make profound positive changes. The simpler these changes are (e.g. Cleaning...), the more hopeless the situation is. The place isn't dirty because this clinic was never graced with the presence of a worthy employee who valued cleanliness. Trust me on this one...

The hard part is realizing that no matter how hard any one person at the bottom of the totem pole tries (includes most employees including the associate vets), it doesn't matter. Your moral compass doesn't matter. In fact it may even make things worse. The dysfunction usually exists because the people who matter are dysfunctional and will not change things for the better, and there is no convincing them to. Otherwise you wouldn't have such longstanding dysfunction.

If the place is truly dysfunctional and/or toxic, you either leave and find a better place... Or you grin and bear it and do the best you can within the constraints of the dysfunctional workplace. You maaaay bring about small changes... Little victories... (like being able to throw out moldy food from the staff lounge every week). The overhaul, however, will never happen. The more you try, the more resentment you will build, and the closer you will get to the apathetic gossipy phase that is toxic to your own well being.
Enough with the moral compass.

I just meant that when I see small (or some fairly big) problems, I take pride in solving them, whether it goes noticed or not. Plus it's something to do when we have those zero appointment days. The other employees definitely seem to be resentful of the place. I am not at that point yet (and hopefully I won't ever be...), and care about working in a presentable clinic/clinic I'd feel good about taking my pets to. It is not solely my responsibility at all, but I will do the dirty work when no one else will. INB4 the fact my desire to attempt to spruce the place up won't solve the underlying problem.

You are definitely right in that if the leaders are the problem, they need to be the solution as well. Unfortunately, I don't know what event would have to happen to get the dysfunctional people to make changes. Like I said, I will give it more time. It is the end of my first week and I walked into something that I wasn't expecting in the least bit. I thought Irish people were supposed to have the luck :luck:

I mean the whole reason for a dosimeter badge is to monitor your radiation intake levels to see if you are at levels which could pose risks to your health. Usually they are checked every 3 months for exposure time during that past 3 months. I feel like it's fairly important, but maybe that just could be myself being overly cautious....

Point taken. But I think some sorta 'reasonable' assumptions can be made. If other people are wearing them, and everyone's getting around the same radiology work, it's unlikely one person has significantly more exposure. If the badge-less person were the only person doing rads that would be a problem, but if the workload is spread around equitably, other people have badges, and proper technique is followed.... I certainly wouldn't sweat 3 months in a normal clinic.

On my cardiology rotation only about half of us had badges, and those procedures probably expose you to more radiation in one rotation than most typical small animal clinics in a year (most of them require fairly constant C-arm use).

At <5 x-rays a day and hitting a limit at 3 months ........... something is not right. Probably that technician is using poor technique and somehow getting her badge in the beam.

Last edited:
Point taken. But I think some sorta 'reasonable' assumptions can be made. If other people are wearing them, and everyone's getting around the same radiology work, it's unlikely one person has significantly more exposure. If the badge-less person were the only person doing rads that would be a problem, but if the workload is spread around equitably, other people have badges, and proper technique is followed.... I certainly wouldn't sweat 3 months in a normal clinic.
Good point, I didn't think of that at all. How can I tell if the technician is using good technique? I have no formal training in the matter.
Nope. Not nearly enough, Captain Moral Compass. Not nearly enough.
;)

Good point, I didn't think of that at all. How can I tell if the technician is using good technique? I have no formal training in the matter.

Ask for training. And tell them you're uncomfortable working around radiological equipment without it. And if they give you grief .... well, they shouldn't. It's not an unreasonable request. If they do give you grief, that's another bad sign that you probably don't want to be there.

Ask for training. And tell them you're uncomfortable working around radiological equipment without it. And if they give you grief .... well, they shouldn't. It's not an unreasonable request. If they do give you grief, that's another bad sign that you probably don't want to be there.
Yeah as of now, my imaginary pro/con list is full of cons :/ It's a basic piece of safety equipment....they can't be that expensive....can it?

Le sigh. Thanks for the input, everyone. I hope I don't continue to dominate this thread with rants about this place...We'll see what happens.

So I bought myself a stethoscope as a graduation present, and it arrived in the mail today and has my last name engraved on it. I sent my dad a picture of the engraving all proud (since it's, you know, his last name) and he texted me, "do vets use stethoscopes?"

:'(

Yeah as of now, my imaginary pro/con list is full of cons :/ It's a basic piece of safety equipment....they can't be that expensive....can it?

Le sigh. Thanks for the input, everyone. I hope I don't continue to dominate this thread with rants about this place...We'll see what happens.
It shouldn't cost them at all, actually. And if they continue to force it you can report them to OSHA anonymously and they will inspect the clinic

So I bought myself a stethoscope as a graduation present, and it arrived in the mail today and has my last name engraved on it. I sent my dad a picture of the engraving all proud (since it's, you know, his last name) and he texted me, "do vets use stethoscopes?"

:'(
It ok. That's why we work with animals. Because humans are dumb.

I kid. Was he joking or being serious? Because I know some people just don't realize what vets do but I would think that if you've taken your pet to the vet you've probably seem them using a stethoscope.

I dunno if the dosimeter is the same for people working with radioactive substances (I'm guessing radiation limit is the same regardless of source). But when I did and went through radiation training, I was told that taking your dosimeter with you accidentally on a long flight will be enough to get you flagged for high exposure. So it actually doesn't take much. Pretty sure I was told that if you put the dosimeter in the primary beam of an xray, it'll get there real fast as well.
My point was, that by taking 3 months of x-rays without a badge will probably not be harmful, but it is not recommended.
But interesting to know.

It shouldn't cost them at all, actually. And if they continue to force it you can report them to OSHA anonymously and they will inspect the clinic

Are you able to get dosimeter badges for your staff for free? When I was in charge of inventory and ordering, dosimeters were not cheap. We also held off on ordering them for 30 days after hire for assistant, but did order them immediately for technicians. However, no one was forced or asked to take rads without their badge.

Are you able to get dosimeter badges for your staff for free? When I was in charge of inventory and ordering, dosimeters were not cheap. We also held off on ordering them for 30 days after hire for assistant, but did order them immediately for technicians. However, no one was forced or asked to take rads without their badge.
The company I use does them by batches. So up to 10 costs the same then 10-20

It ok. That's why we work with animals. Because humans are dumb.

I kid. Was he joking or being serious? Because I know some people just don't realize what vets do but I would think that if you've taken your pet to the vet you've probably seem them using a stethoscope.

He's never had a pet so I'm not sure he's even ever met a vet, and I think he was wondering whether stethoscopes still worked through fur. It sort of came across as one of those "real doctors" type of questions though :(

He's never had a pet so I'm not sure he's even ever met a vet, and I think he was wondering whether stethoscopes still worked through fur. It sort of came across as one of those "real doctors" type of questions though :(
Oh. Hmm. Sounds like honest ignorance then. Which I know is still frustrating.

My favorite aunt once said that she didn't think animals needed doctors, despite knowing that I wanted to be a vet.

That's pretty bad, but I constantly surprise my mother with things that vets do - and she's a (human) nurse who at least occasionally took my childhood dog to the vet!

EKGs? On a dog?! Intubation? On a dog?! Spinal surgery? On a dog?! Etc. Absolutely blows her mind when I talk about surgeries and medicine on small exotics, too. I'm mildly convinced she thinks my life is over-the-top ridiculous, but think it's OK as long as I swing a job eventually.

That's pretty bad, but I constantly surprise my mother with things that vets do - and she's a (human) nurse who at least occasionally took my childhood dog to the vet!

EKGs? On a dog?! Intubation? On a dog?! Spinal surgery? On a dog?! Etc. Absolutely blows her mind when I talk about surgeries and medicine on small exotics, too. I'm mildly convinced she thinks my life is over-the-top ridiculous, but think it's OK as long as I swing a job eventually.

A lot of it is just a) lack of familiarity, and b) not taking a second to think about it.

My sister is a super specialized cardiologist. She came through out hospital once to see me and I was showing her around, and somewhere along the way she made some comment like "oh wow, you intubate them for surgery?"

That's from a more highly trained medical professional than you or I will ever be. She just had no context for what we "do" in vet med and didn't stop to think it through. I think for a lot of people once they just see it, it all makes sense to them.

I had that conversation with my anesthesiologist the last time I had surgery (under regional instead of general so we talked about the differences and similarities between humans and companion animals). He was shocked a lot of the time

I had that conversation with my anesthesiologist the last time I had surgery (under regional instead of general so we talked about the differences and similarities between humans and companion animals). He was shocked a lot of the time

When I broke my ankle (day after graduation) and had surgery the anesthesiologist and I had great conversations about the same. He wasn't really shocked though, or at least it didn't seem like it. He seemed to at least somewhat get the comparative thing. And I remember talking up alpha 2's and now they seem to be a thing that's being looked at more in human med so now I feel all smart and vindicated. ;)

When I broke my ankle (day after graduation) and had surgery the anesthesiologist and I had great conversations about the same. He wasn't really shocked though, or at least it didn't seem like it. He seemed to at least somewhat get the comparative thing. And I remember talking up alpha 2's and now they seem to be a thing that's being looked at more in human med so now I feel all smart and vindicated. ;)
this guy was one of the type that doesn't get veterinary med AT ALL.

I had to convince him doing the procedure under regional wouldn't bother me, that I don't have an issue with blood, etc.

My grandma's health isn't doing so well, and to boot she's in Florida while we're here in the midwest. I'm hoping I can talk to my dad and we can figure up a way to financially support my mom going down to visit her. Her esophagus is swelled up and they've had to put a feeding tube in. I'm not sure how much longer she's got.

My grandma's health isn't doing so well, and to boot she's in Florida while we're here in the midwest. I'm hoping I can talk to my dad and we can figure up a way to financially support my mom going down to visit her. Her esophagus is swelled up and they've had to put a feeding tube in. I'm not sure how much longer she's got.
I'm so sorry, Gwen :(. Sending thoughts your way!

I'm leaving my job as a vet tech assistant at a hospital for vet school and a couple days ago my supervisor and all the techs were discussing my replacement. My supervisor said that she'd like to hire a guy, and wouldn't mind if he wasn't great at his job as long as he is nice and funny. I pointed out that it was unfair that she was willing to let a guy slide by with less ability, just by virtue of being a guy. She also said she had originally intended to give my job, when I was interviewing for it, to a guy, but I was a better candidate, so I told her I was glad I was picked despite the apparent adversity. It's just really frustrating that there are 2 sets of standards and how nonchalant the staff was about the whole thing (they agreed with her initial comment), and I guess it made me more aware of the differences in expectations of genders in general. It's so much easier to be a guy in this field. I would command more authority, make more money, and apparently get away with more by just having a good attitude if I had a penis. Just ugh....

I'm leaving my job as a vet tech assistant at a hospital for vet school and a couple days ago my supervisor and all the techs were discussing my replacement. My supervisor said that she'd like to hire a guy, and wouldn't mind if he wasn't great at his job as long as he is nice and funny. I pointed out that it was unfair that she was willing to let a guy slide by with less ability, just by virtue of being a guy. She also said she had originally intended to give my job, when I was interviewing for it, to a guy, but I was a better candidate, so I told her I was glad I was picked despite the apparent adversity. It's just really frustrating that there are 2 sets of standards and how nonchalant the staff was about the whole thing (they agreed with her initial comment), and I guess it made me more aware of the differences in expectations of genders in general. It's so much easier to be a guy in this field. I would command more authority, make more money, and apparently get away with more by just having a good attitude if I had a penis. Just ugh....
That's BS. We've talked about this where I work and many of us agree it would be great to have a guy around sometimes, but ultimately if a position becomes available, the better candidate is hired, regardless of gender.

Radiology is my fav! Sorry they are dragging it out so much....don't know how they can talk about opacities for 2 weeks.