RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Radiology is my fav! Sorry they are dragging it out so much....don't know how they can talk about opacities for 2 weeks.

I might have to start obnoxiously messaging you on FB with questions.

Members don't see this ad.

At the dog park when two guys with bigger dogs (90# GSD and 80# mastiff mix) start having a "stick eating contest" between their dogs. Like, literally, giving them sticks to eat and trying to make their dog eat more sticks. I politely inform them that that can be dangerous for their dogs, the pieces can clump together and form a blockage, a sharp piece could pierce an intestinal wall and either could lead to a really expensive surgery. Their reply? "Oh don't worry, he eats sticks all the time." :smack:

Meanwhile, my dog started to join in and I immediately stopped him and we peaced out of there.

At the dog park when two guys with bigger dogs (90# GSD and 80# mastiff mix) start having a "stick eating contest" between their dogs. Like, literally, giving them sticks to eat and trying to make their dog eat more sticks. I politely inform them that that can be dangerous for their dogs, the pieces can clump together and form a blockage, a sharp piece could pierce an intestinal wall and either could lead to a really expensive surgery. Their reply? "Oh don't worry, he eats sticks all the time." :smack:

Meanwhile, my dog started to join in and I immediately stopped him and we peaced out of there.
makes you wonder what they put in their mouths sometimes...

We're two weeks into a 4x a week radiology class and we're still talking about radiographic opacities. Shoooooot me.
you be grateful for this radiology education, because those of us who had pitifully little are on the major struggle bus in 4th year radiology right now :p your classmates do not have to think nearly as long and hard about everything since it was pounded in last year ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Update:

1. Scrubbed into surgery yesterday, and I ended up wearing non-sterile vinyl gloves UNDER the sterile latex gloves. Reaction wise, I was just fine. However, it's not ideal. The doctor had no concerns about sterility, though.

2. Dysfunctional staff: So yesterday we have a spay, cruciate, and surprise cyst removal. The doctor decided to do the cyst removal that day (the dog had an appt to check it in the morning) since she didn't want the elderly owner to have to bring the 100+ pound shepherd in multiple times. The cyst removal pushed back the scheduled spay and cruciate. The cruciate's owners were expecting their dog to be knocked down by noon, but it didn't happen until 3PM. This led to a very unhappy client. As I was closing up the clinic that evening, the LVT called the client to let her know how her dog was doing. The client was of course upset that she was not kept updated on the situation. I overheard the LVT basically tear the doctor to shreds and say how she was pissed at the doctor for pushing the surgery back too and how "this isn't the first time it's happened and she never communicates with anyone, it's a problem."

I'm standing there like :eek:o_O:nailbiting::eyebrow::nono::smack:. HIGHLY unprofessional. She was doing nothing to calm the client, just venting to her about her own frustrations with a doctor who just opened up the client's pet. So now that client thinks the doctor is incompetent.

And with another week down, I can honestly say that while the methods of addressing the staff need work (on the part of the doctor and manager), the mistakes being addressed are definitely deserving of some form of conversation. Dogs were being left out in the yard unattended, clients were being told they could pick up a dog at 8PM when we close at 7, a sick/sneezing cat was placed in a healthy population of feline boarders and surgery patients, and so on. Just common sense mistakes that clearly frustrate the leaders. There are still times when I think to myself "Dr. ___, did you really need to throw a fit about that?" However, it seems that most of the staff don't like getting b*tched at (understandable) for some issues that do need to be addressed. I'm feeling more comfortable about staying, at the very least.

Got my feedback from my first externship. I was by no means expecting to be deemed excellent/very good in all categories or anything like that, but to be scored "marginally competent (needing considerable improvement)" in one or two (esp. One that I don't think I was really given the opportunity to demonstrate fully) stings a bit.

I realize I'm just starting clinics and all but it's still a downer and makes me even less confident in myself.

Got my feedback from my first externship. I was by no means expecting to be deemed excellent/very good in all categories or anything like that, but to be scored "marginally competent (needing considerable improvement)" in one or two (esp. One that I don't think I was really given the opportunity to demonstrate fully) stings a bit.

I realize I'm just starting clinics and all but it's still a downer and makes me even less confident in myself.
You guys get graded on your externships? Ours are pass/fail. I wouldn't get too down on yourself. Like you said, you're just starting out. Hang in there <3

You guys get graded on your externships? Ours are pass/fail. I wouldn't get too down on yourself. Like you said, you're just starting out. Hang in there <3

Extramural are pass/fail but you do get graded in categories with an excellent, very good, satisfactory, unsatisfactory or N/A. I still passed but the description for each grade is what kind of bothers me I guess.

Radiology is my fav! Sorry they are dragging it out so much....don't know how they can talk about opacities for 2 weeks.

First we had to spend multiple lectures talking about screens, grids, etc for film radiography... then a lecture about how digital radiography nixed that. Then CT/MRI, and then radiographic opacities and a reminder to look at everything on the radiograph (again). I wasn't in class this morning but I'm sure it was something similarly thrilling. I'd just like to actually look at animals at some point!

makes you wonder what they put in their mouths sometimes...

you be grateful for this radiology education, because those of us who had pitifully little are on the major struggle bus in 4th year radiology right now :p your classmates do not have to think nearly as long and hard about everything since it was pounded in last year ;)

I've got radiology last block. Let's see if I remember any of it by then, rofl! I already know I'm going to really enjoy that two weeks before graduation.

:( You should be expected to be only marginally competent at this time - it's your first block! You have a whole freaking year and a half to hit "excellent"!

Extramural are pass/fail but you do get graded in categories with an excellent, very good, satisfactory, unsatisfactory or N/A. I still passed but the description for each grade is what kind of bothers me I guess.
Honestly, I feel that defeats the purpose of pass/fail...just saying.

Honestly, I feel that defeats the purpose of pass/fail...just saying.

Graded might be the wrong word but i kind of agree. I do think it's more just to give general feedback on certain areas, but I honestly wasn't expecting to see my grading sheet at all and I only got to see parts of it. There's a comment section that our evaluator can fill out and we do get to see, which I think would be more helpful at pointing me to my weak areas than just a general "satisfactory" and see only the positive comments. I suppose I could contact the vets directly just to pinpoint my weak areas.

Not really a rant, but holy ships! I was going through my file cabinet to find a copy of my license today, and I randomly grabbed this thick packet that appeared to be a supplemental app for a vet school. OMFG I found the most epic essay that I had flea bombed out of my memory it was so bad. The prompt was something about discussing a time where you had to make a decision in the face of uncertainty, how you came to the decision, and how you dealt with it. My essay was about how I made the decision to move in (1 yr lease) with my loser ex, whom I'd only known for 4 months because that was very economical, with the expectation that it might not work out. And how indeed he cheated on me, but that we maintained a cordial platonic relationship and even extended our lease. WTF was I thinking? It was like mortifying to read... geesh

Reactions: 1 user

I've had so many errors on grading that I've almost quit looking at the grades and feedback. I only do it now to make sure someone didn't accidentally fail me or forget to grade me.

This isn't just externships... this is in-hospital stuff. In my first 9 rotations, I had 3 grading errors. A grading success rate of 66%. Super impressive, no? In one of them, I received an 'F' in 'History Taking' ............. on a spay/neuter rotation where the animals were already at the shelter. Yeah, THAT made sense. Turned out to be a clerical error.

On another ..... well, the way we're graded here is 8 sub-grades in each of 3 big categories (Knowledge, Clinical Skill, Professionalism). Then we get an overall grade for each of the categories. Then we get a final overall grade. So... something like 28 grades for each rotation. It's a bit overkill. Anyway. I had an A in each of the 3 big categories ........ and a B overall. Made no sense. It's like scoring A, A, A on two midterms and a final and then getting a B. Turned out to be another clerical error.

Then I had some other entry mistake made and got ... I forget now. A C or a D in something I was supposed to get an A in.

On my first internal medicine rotation, I got written feedback that was CLEARLY meant for someone else. It referenced cases I didn't have, and it just plain didn't make any contextual sense.

On that spay/neuter rotation I was chided for not re-temp'ing a patient who at intake was 104F. Except I did re-temp them an hour later, noted in the record that it was 102F, and cleared the animal for surgery and went on with the day. Apparently it's not enough to write it in the legal record ... apparently you also have to tell the clinician so that you don't get criticized inaccurately in your feedback.

I'm still waiting for a grade from a rotation that was ... geez ... 3 months ago? 4 months ago?

It would be much better to just be all pass/fail, and to require clinicians to have a little 5-minute sit-down chat at the end of each rotation to talk through your strengths and 'growth opportunities' (can't call them weaknesses in today's world, of course). It would save clinicians a CRAP TON of time and headache, and it would give students the chance to interact regarding their feedback. Everyone wins.

Clinical rotation grading is just dumb.

Members don't see this ad :)

I totally feel you on this. I think you commented on my facebook post in the SDN group. I haven't heard back yet on mine because I still have two days left at this externship, but man, I feel like an idiot some days. I'm scared to get my report back. Hoping I pass (we also have pass/fail but with a report of a 1-5 scale for different aspects). But, we're justing starting out, and I think some externship mentors forget that. Anyways, hang in there, don't let it to get to you. You can PM me on here or facebook if you wanna chat about it.

I totally feel you on this. I think you commented on my facebook post in the SDN group. I haven't heard back yet on mine because I still have two days left at this externship, but man, I feel like an idiot some days. I'm scared to get my report back. Hoping I pass (we also have pass/fail but with a report of a 1-5 scale for different aspects). But, we're justing starting out, and I think some externship mentors forget that. Anyways, hang in there, don't let it to get to you. You can PM me on here or facebook if you wanna chat about it.

Yup, that was me. They actually did acknowledge that I was just starting in another comment on the report, so I'm most likely being a bit harsh, but doesn't make it any less frustrating. Doesn't help that I tend to get nervous when put on the spot (esp right in front of the owners...don't want to say something stupid/or a poor prognosis if that's not what it is) and am a little shy initially.

Yup, that was me. They actually did acknowledge that I was just starting in another comment on the report, so I'm most likely being a bit harsh, but doesn't make it any less frustrating. Doesn't help that I tend to get nervous when put on the spot (esp right in front of the owners...don't want to say something stupid/or a poor prognosis if that's not what it is) and am a little shy initially.

First rule of rotations: Smile, nod, and say "I don't know, but I will research that as soon as I get a chance." At that point, they have to let it drop and move on, or make themselves look like a jerk with one of the famous variants on "you really should know that by now" or "you really should know that for boards" or "I know I taught you this" or .... blah blah blah.

Don't let it get to you. I feel like each and every rotation is a new opportunity for me to look stupid; and I succeed marvelously at that goal. And yet, they keep passing me. I suspect you'll be just fine.

Reactions: 2 users
First rule of rotations: Smile, nod, and say "I don't know, but I will research that as soon as I get a chance." At that point, they have to let it drop and move on, or make themselves look like a jerk with one of the famous variants on "you really should know that by now" or "you really should know that for boards" or "I know I taught you this" or .... blah blah blah.

Don't let it get to you. I feel like each and every rotation is a new opportunity for me to look stupid; and I succeed marvelously at that goal. And yet, they keep passing me. I suspect you'll be just fine.

Too bad you can't make a $1 for every time that you feel stupid, right?

Oh definitely. I have no problem saying "I don't know" and looking it up and then reporting back to them. Did it a few times during my first externship.

wow, your externshipo

i am jealous of how stupid you don't feel, i would make a killing if i earned a dollar for every time i felt stupid

I meant small portion in the sense of how much I owe. I don't think I'd even make a dent despite how many times I feel stupid. I think I'm getting sick again, so my brain is super foggy atm.

Ok, I am going to chew off my left arm.... from my elbow to my wrist my arm hurts... I don't mean mild ache, I mean this is some deep ass pain that is constant. None of the meds I have taken are giving it any relief..

Only thing I can think of to cause this: I happened to move my shoulder odd or something a couple days ago and my shoulder popped and sudden pain shot through my shoulder and arm. I couldn't really move my arm well for about 20-30 minutes after that, but it got better and the next day I forgot anything had happened...

So, maybe the arm pain is from that? I don't know, but I am ready to get rid of my left arm....

It's kind of like when you first get to vet school and get a C and you freak out...adjust to a new normal. Like LIS said, there are plenty of times ahead where you will struggle, feel stupid or be made to feel stupid. Find a way to keep a positive attitude and not let it bring you down.

Another thing to keep in mind is that each clinician grades differently. Some clinicians consider "marginally competent" to mean you're at the level they expect you to be. One of our clin path professors said they consider a 5 to be equivalent to you performing at the level of a vet who'd been practicing for a while. So a 3 ("marginally competent") is really just a way of saying you did good, keep working on it.

Just got the postcard for jury duty. Even though I've declared my current address with the BMV, it's still citing my home county as the one I'd need to serve at, if called. That's two counties away and an hour and a half, plus whatever days I'll need to take off work if I do get called.
I reeeeeealy hope I don't get called in.

Just got the postcard for jury duty. Even though I've declared my current address with the BMV, it's still citing my home county as the one I'd need to serve at, if called. That's two counties away and an hour and a half, plus whatever days I'll need to take off work if I do get called.
Something similar happened to a co-worker. Contact the courts and let them know you don't currently live at that address and you will not have to serve.

Holy guacamole. I have the worst UTI that came out of no where. I was up all night going to the bathroom every 10 minutes. Great way to start off anesthesia. I'm glad my clinician is nice and let me leave early to make it to a doctor's appointment. Ughhhhhhh go awayyyy!!! One of the medications I am taking turns my tears bright orange so I can't wear my contacts. Guess I'm stuck as four eyes for the next few days.

Rant: Migraine
Rave: Narcotics

You don't happen to live in Colorado, do you?

RANT: learning earlier this evening that my uncle is not expected to make it past this Wednesday and imaging what my aunt and cousins are going through at this moment.

Last edited:
Nope. I'm at Purdue right now xD

Okay, I was wondering cause we are going through a huge crapstorm with one of our trials right now and I was about to say, "If you are from Colorado and are for this specific trial, I know another way you can get out." But you're good, so no worries. lol.

RANT: learning earlier this evening that my uncle is not expected to make it past this Wednesday and imaging what my aunt and cousins are going through at this moment.

That is so sad. :-(. Hold on and keep on going. We send your family love from here in Colorado.

Okay, I was wondering cause we are going through a huge crapstorm with one of our trials right now and I was about to say, "If you are from Colorado and are for this specific trial, I know another way you can get out." But you're good, so no worries. lol.

That is so sad. :-(. Hold on and keep on going. We send your family love from here in Colorado.

Unfortunately, he did not make it through last night, but it means so much what you said, thank you.

Hi All!! I'm back to RANT just because I can!! 3rd year rotations….GRRRRR.. that's all I can say. How are all my vet peeps???

Ok, I am going to chew off my left arm.... from my elbow to my wrist my arm hurts... I don't mean mild ache, I mean this is some deep ass pain that is constant. None of the meds I have taken are giving it any relief..

Only thing I can think of to cause this: I happened to move my shoulder odd or something a couple days ago and my shoulder popped and sudden pain shot through my shoulder and arm. I couldn't really move my arm well for about 20-30 minutes after that, but it got better and the next day I forgot anything had happened...

So, maybe the arm pain is from that? I don't know, but I am ready to get rid of my left arm....

Ya know, too bad it's not a lower extremity problem, or I could potentially help you! How goes it??

Reactions: 1 users
Unfortunately, he did not make it through last night, but it means so much what you said, thank you.
I'm so awfully sorry :( my condolences to you and yours.

And to follow that with my unimportant ranting....
One of the vet assistants put in her two weeks because she was fed up with being treated badly. So in two weeks I'll be the only full-time assistant. I also took a cat claw deep in my finger today and I'm preeeeetty sure the cat didn't even do it on purpose

Just spent the last 5 hours doing my taxes because I thought FAFSA needed MY tax information... nope! All they care about is my parents' information! It's not like I have an ochem exam tomorrow or anything... :bang:

Just spent the last 5 hours doing my taxes because I thought FAFSA needed MY tax information... nope! All they care about is my parents' information! It's not like I have an ochem exam tomorrow or anything... :bang:
Lol the FAFSA...

I had to wrangle my parents (your name put that word into my head, thanks for that) and have them give me their info. The whole time: "Why the hell do they need our information? You're not even a dependent anymore!" It's so they have a reason not to give me anything but loans, mom and dad.

Lol the FAFSA...

I had to wrangle my parents (your name put that word into my head, thanks for that) and have them give me their info. The whole time: "Why the hell do they need our information? You're not even a dependent anymore!" It's so they have a reason not to give me anything but loans, mom and dad.
Interesting. I did mine and when I was going through it said that I was considered an independent and didn't need to include parental information. NCSU also specifically said that they consider all DVM students to be independent. I'm not sure about other schools though.

Interesting. I did mine and when I was going through it said that I was considered an independent and didn't need to include parental information. NCSU also specifically said that they consider all DVM students to be independent. I'm not sure about other schools though.
I am going to agree with both sides here. They required both my tax stuff and my parents tax stuff. Tried completing it without my W-2 and that was quite unsuccessful. I don't know if there is a cut off, but I made a bit over 15 grand last year at my job, so maybe its if you make a certain amount?

Hmmm... I've filed my taxes as an independent for maybe 6 years or so and it still asked for my parents' information and gave me nowhere to provide mine. My IS school requires parent information for a specific loan (that I probably won't be eligible for anyway).

I am going to agree with both sides here. They required both my tax stuff and my parents tax stuff. Tried completing it without my W-2 and that was quite unsuccessful. I don't know if there is a cut off, but I made a bit over 15 grand last year at my job, so maybe its if you make a certain amount?
Nah it was before I actually got to the financial part, somewhere after the demographics stuff...maybe I entered something wrong lol

Hmmm... I've filed my taxes as an independent for maybe 6 years or so and it still asked for my parents' information and gave me nowhere to provide mine. My IS school requires parent information for a specific loan (that I probably won't be eligible for anyway).
Maybe they determine it based on the requirements of the schools you specify

Maybe they determine it based on the requirements of the schools you specify
Being a student in any graduate or professional program automatically makes you an independent. It's the same for every state, every school, and every graduate/professional program.