RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's okay if the selection process isn't completely fair. I'm sure your excellent grades at the prestigious school will result in admission into vet school. And once you are there, everyone gets **** on exactly the same. If the CC kids can't hack it, they won't make it. But I wouldn't count on it working out that way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Jeez I thought thought this thread was a rant thread and you could post things that were bothering you.
It was not a commentary on anyone who has chosen the CC route.

Oh man, you are SO right. Thanks for the reminder.

So. Everyone, I am REALLY bothered by ***** pre-vets posting condescending things about people who take classes at CCs. Just had to get that off my chest.

Reactions: 8 users
It's okay if the selection process isn't completely fair. I'm sure your excellent grades at the prestigious school will result in admission into vet school. And once you are there, everyone gets **** on exactly the same. If the CC kids can't hack it, they won't make it. But I wouldn't count on it working out that way.

So that is what the brown stains are......

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a feeling we won't hear from misty in a while...

Maybe I spoke too soon about anesthesia. I got called in right as I was getting into bed at midnight last night. It wasn't too bad, and I was back in bed at 3 am. Still love it, though.

Is physics ever not the worst? :p

I have to retake physics. Just straight up. Went through my pre-req GPAs for my top schools and physics is killing me in that department. My professor was a nice guy outside of class but such a bad teacher. Another example that you can't really judge a school by it's "classification". You would think this guy was teaching at Colorado School of Mines the way he was trying to teach pre-med/vet kids engineering level physics.

Maybe I should have gone to a more selective school...I think my only super easy science class was ecology :laugh:

Our ecology class was sooooo easy. So much extra credit available. Could easily get 120 or 130% in the class if you did absolutely everything. And yet, some people just barely scrapped by with super low Cs. It astounded me.

My rant/sort of a little bit of a rave: I was really hoping I wouldn't have to work during this semester to focus solely on school. My mom's store was doing the best it ever had and my dad got a new job....in the oil industry. My mom's lease at the mall was sold to a different company, so she lost her job on December 27th. My dad lost his job last Tuesday because the company he was working for could not break even under $45 a barrel. We all three had to get jobs to keep our lives because my dad could not find anything that was paying nearly as much and my mom has only ever had the one job, so no one would take her over minimum wage. For the rave part, the job I found is at a doggie daycare that actually seems pretty nice and the owner is a down to earth kind of woman. I secured the 2 week probationary position this morning and start tomorrow. I hope they want to keep me after two weeks. lol.

involved with (and still considered a friend), my cousin

The original post you were referencing is not funny at all, and very sad and serious... But when you were talking about you being involved with someone, I read it as you were involved with your cousin :=|:-): .

:bored: Who schedules exams the Monday after the Super Bowl?

Reactions: 1 users
Anatomy professors for one...:(

Makes me kinda glad I never got into football in the first place though, or I would be very sad indeed.

Oh man, you are SO right. Thanks for the reminder.

So. Everyone, I am REALLY bothered by ***** pre-vets posting condescending things about people who take classes at CCs. Just had to get that off my chest.
isn't
i forget what class we had an exam in the monday after the superbowl in 1st year, but a bunch of my classmates pitched a fit and tried to get it moved. i cant remember if they were successful or not haha

isn't

i forget what class we had an exam in the monday after the superbowl in 1st year, but a bunch of my classmates pitched a fit and tried to get it moved. i cant remember if they were successful or not haha

We have an Immunology quiz Monday...

Members don't see this ad :)
Things that drive me crazy: when an in state resident gets acceptance even though as an OOS student your scores and experience are better in every way. It is quite annoying.

Things that drive me crazy: when an in state resident gets acceptance even though as an OOS student your scores and experience are better in every way. It is quite annoying.
Unless you don't have an IS or contract school, I don't get why that's so annoying. It's no secret that most schools give in-state students an advantage in the application process, and it's not just vet schools that work that way. Although some schools do explicitly have lower standards for IS applicants, more often it seems it just comes down to odds -- fewer IS students applying for more available spots, so a wider range of applicants from the IS pool are going to be accepted. And as addressed very recently in this thread, adcoms don't just look at numbers. Maybe this applicant had a stellar PS, eLORs, interview, etc. that balanced out lower grades/scores/experience hours. I don't know of any school where getting in as an IS student is a cakewalk.

Also it looks like you got accepted to Penn, so why let it bother you at this point? Any acceptance is something to be grateful for, and going into vet school with the attitude that your IS classmates are less worthy than you won't make you many friends.

I want to like this post because I want to believe it was sarcasm
Please tell me it was sarcasm

Reactions: 4 users
I'm so awfully sorry :( my condolences to you and yours.

And to follow that with my unimportant ranting....
One of the vet assistants put in her two weeks because she was fed up with being treated badly. So in two weeks I'll be the only full-time assistant. I also took a cat claw deep in my finger today and I'm preeeeetty sure the cat didn't even do it on purpose

Thank you pinkpuppy9, it is appreciated.

Human physicians. Sometimes...I mean if your dog isn't healthy and you bring them to the vet, you would expect them to treat, right? or at least do 1 diagnostic?

I just don't get his thought process for asking me about the dogs weight then doing nothing

Unless you don't have an IS or contract school, I don't get why that's so annoying. It's no secret that most schools give in-state students an advantage in the application process, and it's not just vet schools that work that way. Although some schools do explicitly have lower standards for IS applicants, more often it seems it just comes down to odds -- fewer IS students applying for more available spots, so a wider range of applicants from the IS pool are going to be accepted. And as addressed very recently in this thread, adcoms don't just look at numbers. Maybe this applicant had a stellar PS, eLORs, interview, etc. that balanced out lower grades/scores/experience hours. I don't know of any school where getting in as an IS student is a cakewalk.

Also it looks like you got accepted to Penn, so why let it bother you at this point? Any acceptance is something to be grateful for, and going into vet school with the attitude that your IS classmates are less worthy than you won't make you many friends.
So what is the point of a rant thread if you just get attacked for ranting?

So what is the point of a rant thread if you just get attacked for ranting?
Sigh... I'm just going to quote what Gwen said earlier in the thread:
This may be a rant thread, but this is also a community forum that supports each other in this field. Vet med is difficult enough without people who are seemingly looking down [on] a future colleague

Reactions: 5 users
Sigh... I'm just going to quote what Gwen said earlier in the thread:
I just think that everyone should have an equal chance of getting into vet school, regardless of where you live. If you live in a state that helps you get into vet school, then good for you. But I think the system needs to change. Where you live shouldn't correlate to your capabilities of being a vet. That is all.

I just think that everyone should have an equal chance of getting into vet school, regardless of where you live. If you live in a state that helps you get into vet school, then good for you. But I think the system needs to change.

But why? If you live in that state, you pay state taxes. If you live outside that state, you don't. If your state values veterinary education and subsidized it then why shouldn't tax payers for that state get perks from it? It's like state schools for undergrad. Try getting into UCLA as an out of stater (and paying for it too). Do you think that's wrong too? If not? Then why would it be any different for vet school? Just because it affects you?

Where you live shouldn't correlate to your capabilities of being a vet. That is all.

It doesn't! It's not like you are only allowed to apply to certain vet schools. There are a lot of schools out there that have a ton of OOS seats, as well as private schools. No need to throw a fit just because you felt unfairly denied to one school (if you haven't learned by now, it'll make the rest of your life much more enjoyable if you accept that life isn't fair).

I just think that everyone should have an equal chance of getting into vet school, regardless of where you live. If you live in a state that helps you get into vet school, then good for you. But I think the system needs to change. Where you live shouldn't correlate to your capabilities of being a vet. That is all.
You need to realize that with the state money and the Alumni that give generously to their schools, it is geared towards people graduating and giving back to their own state. If people from all over got into any school they wanted, each school would likely have the people that graduated moving off to other states to practice. It is one of the reasons there are two different tuition designations. I would recommend looking at the finances that goes into graduating a well educated person only to have them move off and never think about giving back to the state/school that gave them that education. I know here, the majority of the scholarships are from local vets and clients of the teaching hospital wishing to help future vets that will also pay it forward when it is their turn.

ETA: Thanks, Minner! Man, I am such a slow typer on this Sunday morning. :)

I'm screwing the system by being an IS student at one of the least expensive schools (legitimately, too - I was born here and everything) and then MOVING thousands of miles away. I'm a terrible person.

If anyone wants IS tuition and better odds at acceptance, feel free to move to Oklahoma. One year of work full time is all it takes. What's that? You don't WANT to live in Oklahoma? Well...

The system ain't fair, vet school ain't fair, the job market ain't fair. Life ain't fair.

46691-cat-deal-with-it-gif-IjeF.gif

Reactions: 6 users
I know many people that didn't get into there state vet school, but did get into an OOS school. Yes, most schools offer more seats to residents, but each school is also looking for different qualities in their applicants. Being in state doesn't necessarily increase your chances of getting into that school if you don't have the qualities they are looking for.

Basically, I don't think where you live affects your ability to get into vet school. You do have to apply strategically though to schools that are looking for qualities that you have.

I'm screwing the system by being an IS student at one of the least expensive schools (legitimately, too - I was born here and everything) and then MOVING thousands of miles away. I'm a terrible person.

If anyone wants IS tuition and better odds at acceptance, feel free to move to Oklahoma. One year of work full time is all it takes. What's that? You don't WANT to live in Oklahoma? Well...

The system ain't fair, vet school ain't fair, the job market ain't fair. Life ain't fair.

46691-cat-deal-with-it-gif-IjeF.gif

the question is, are you moving thousands of miles in the right direction or the wrong direction?

Although I guess from OK, any direction might feel like the right one :)

Reactions: 2 users

That is 100% bullcrap.

I've paid taxes IN THIS STATE that have gone to support THIS SCHOOL for probably more years than you've been alive. You're ignoring the fact that the school isn't just supported by tuition, it's supported by taxpayer money. That's true even for the people paying ridiculous out-of-state tuition: you're being partially subsidized by local taxpayers.

So yes - I deserve a better chance than you to get in to THIS school.

States dont help people get INTO school. That's on you. The state just helps to make it a little more financially feasible once you are in, for all the reasons already listed above

Dammit I really wanted that post to be sarcasm because we just went over this kind of entitled nonsense a page ago.
You got into Penn, which, according to your own posts, was your top choice. Just what the hell are you complaining for?

Just a little fun fact: for some schools, you could argue that it's even more competitive for an IS seat than an OOS seat because of all of the benefits of attending your IS (reduced tuition, closer to home, etc.) draw a more competitive applicant pool

VMRCVM comes to mind (https://www.vetmed.vt.edu/acad/dvm/docs/stats.pdf)

EDIT: Not sure why I said larger, obviously more OOS people apply. I havent had my coffee yet so my brain isnt working right.

Last edited:
Just a little fun fact: for some schools, you could argue that it's even more competitive for an IS seat than an OOS seat because of all of the benefits of attending your IS (reduced tuition, closer to home, etc.) draw a larger, more competitive, applicant pool

Wait what... I'm not seeing your point. Where is this larger more competitive applicant pool on that chart?

That is 100% bullcrap.

I've paid taxes IN THIS STATE that have gone to support THIS SCHOOL for probably more years than you've been alive. You're ignoring the fact that the school isn't just supported by tuition, it's supported by taxpayer money. That's true even for the people paying ridiculous out-of-state tuition: you're being partially subsidized by local taxpayers.

So yes - I deserve a better chance than you to get in to THIS school.

The grumpy old Taxpayer has been activated ;)

Just a little fun fact: for some schools, you could argue that it's even more competitive for an IS seat than an OOS seat because of all of the benefits of attending your IS (reduced tuition, closer to home, etc.) draw a larger, more competitive, applicant pool

Uhh...even with the VA and MD applicants combined that's a smaller pool for more seats...
Granted the average GPA was actually higher for accepted VA/MD applicants

the question is, are you moving thousands of miles in the right direction or the wrong direction?

Although I guess from OK, any direction might feel like the right one :)

The opposite direction as you. Though you considered Oregon - the job just wasn't very lucrative. I hope I can find something suitable. (It's based on my husband's employment more than mine, and I suppose it's not 100% finalized yet).

Wait what... I'm not seeing your point. Where is this larger more competitive applicant pool on that chart?

Sorry not sure why I said larger (I think I was thinking larger numbers of IS applicants than in past years, which is totally irrelevant to my point)

If you look on the 4th page, it shows the different GPAs/GREs for IS v. OOS applicants and you can argue it's harder for a MD/VA resident with the same stats as an OOS to get in. Obviously there are a ton of other factors involved, but an argument could be made.

Uhh...even with the VA and MD applicants combined that's a smaller pool for more seats...
Granted the average GPA was actually higher for accepted VA/MD applicants

At the end of the day, it might actually be true that that matriculated IS students are more qualified on average than the OOS for some schools (but it's hard to make that claim based on what's published there, and no vet school will ever disclose it).

Because like most IS students will take their acceptance if the IS tuition is cheap, and waitlists for those schools don't move much for IS crowd. So the matriculant to applicant ratio is pretty close to the acceptance rate. But for the OOS pool, a large number of those 800 applicants will have applied and will also be accepted to another vet school, and many will go elsewhere. So we have no idea how competitive those OOS actually are. We'd need to find out how many of those applicants were actually never offered an acceptance to figure out the actual acceptance rate. I can imagine that in some schools, this may actually make the IS acceptance rate lower than the OOS. Given how many seats there are for all vet schools and how many total applicants there are, this actually must happen at some frequency. We just don't know at which schools.

This pre-vet season has been particularly memorable so far.

But hey, if you guys don't think IS/OOS is fair, feel free to move up north where your location strictly dictates where you can apply and everyone is IS!

hint: everyone only gets one school except one province which gets two, which is so not fair. Why should they get two just because the government (taxpayers) pay more?! Plus some provinces get more seats then others, which is such bullcrap. It's like taxes mean even more here!

The grumpy old Taxpayer has been activated ;)

Hells yeah. I really hate this "I'm from halfway across the world, but I deserve the same chance to get into State X CVM as someone who has lived there all their lives, paid taxes to support the university, and will likely stay in the region and continue to give back to that community" attitude.

It's so INCREDIBLY selfish to think that. It just boggles the mind.

People are getting worse and worse about confusing their 'wants' with their 'rights'.

The only reason people from out of state are even accepted is because a) you can double the tuition and get more money from them, and b) it's good to bring in SOME fresh blood to an area. But there is absolutely no reason an out-of-stater 'deserves' an equal chance.

And if their state doesn't have a vet school .... that doesn't mean some other state has any obligation to step in and treat them like a local.

I know that this is a high stress time for pre-vets and recently accepted students, but honestly, people need to try some perspective here. Yes you can rant about whatever you want. But people can comment however they want, too.

HEY! It's really not fair that people have an IS school and I don't. Just saying...

This pre-vet season has been particularly memorable so far.

Yep. I have had to break my "Do Not Get involved, I ain't got time for dat!" numerous times this event season. It frightens me beyond belief, and for sure makes me think that even if it is better to take two years off to get research done before rejoining DVM, I will just do one so I can at least be a part of a sane class from last year...

here's a rant that has NOTHING to do with veterinary medicine. My entire left arm hurts. I would cut it off and replace it with a bionic one but my right one isn't through PT yet and my suturing and hemostasis skills leave something to be desired. So my rant is that bionic limbs aren't a reality for me yet

here's a rant that has NOTHING to do with veterinary medicine. My entire left arm hurts. I would cut it off and replace it with a bionic one but my right one isn't through PT yet and my suturing and hemostasis skills leave something to be desired. So my rant is that bionic limbs aren't a reality for me yet

I hear @LetItSnow has had quite a bit of surgery experience I'm sure he can help.