RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
here's a rant that has NOTHING to do with veterinary medicine. My entire left arm hurts. I would cut it off and replace it with a bionic one but my right one isn't through PT yet and my suturing and hemostasis skills leave something to be desired. So my rant is that bionic limbs aren't a reality for me yet
:(
I hope bionic limbs become a possibility soon. Or the arm gets better. Either one.

Members don't see this ad.

:(
I hope bionic limbs become a possibility soon. Or the arm gets better. Either one.
Thanks, WZ.

I've been a mite crankier than usual. my shoulder has actually rolled forward and sends radiating pain through to my wrist. Hows that for jacked up?

makes comparing grades and complaining about other people getting in seem like child's play, no?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
HEY! It's really not fair that people have an IS school and I don't. Just saying...

It *IS* not fair. No doubt. But it doesn't mean it's my state's obligation to deal with it. It's on your state to build a vet school (ugh) or, better, make arrangements with another state.

Thanks, WZ.

I've been a mite crankier than usual. my shoulder has actually rolled forward and sends radiating pain through to my wrist. Hows that for jacked up?

makes comparing grades and complaining about other people getting in seem like child's play, no?
That sounds awful :(

Thanks, WZ.

Whiner. You'd think you're in actual pain or something.

So what is the point of a rant thread if you just get attacked for ranting?
@LyraGardenia's original reply to you was nowhere near an attack; she simply brought up some very legitimate points in probably the most respectful way possible. If you honestly felt "attacked" by that post... welp. I don't know what to tell you, then. Tough cookies?

I just think that everyone should have an equal chance of getting into vet school, regardless of where you live. If you live in a state that helps you get into vet school, then good for you. But I think the system needs to change. Where you live shouldn't correlate to your capabilities of being a vet. That is all.
I feel for people living in states without vet schools, I really do. But many of them do have contract seats with other schools. Even if they don't, there's always the option of aiming for a school that allows you to change residency or apply IS after fulfilling their conditions (working full-time for a year seems to be a big one).

You seem to imply that it's the states that are helping the students get into vet school. Yeah... no. It is still competitive to get accepted as an IS student. Is it less competitive than applying to that same school as OOS? Probably, but that's not to say that residents are a shoo in. IS applicants still need to satisfy all of the requirements and have impressive, thorough applications. This is not too terribly common, but there are people who get accepted to an OOS school who don't get in IS. Ultimately, you do the best you can as an applicant no matter where you live.

Hells yeah. I really hate this "I'm from halfway across the world, but I deserve the same chance to get into State X CVM as someone who has lived there all their lives, paid taxes to support the university, and will likely stay in the region and continue to give back to that community" attitude.

[...]

And if their state doesn't have a vet school .... that doesn't mean some other state has any obligation to step in and treat them like a local.
:thumbup:

Absolutely. I've lived in Missouri my entire life. Heck, my family has been living here and paying taxes for this state since the 70s. You're darn right I should have a better shot at getting in here.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great that OOS seats exist. Seriously. But the fact remains that most vet schools are public state universities who shouldn't be faulted for allowing the students of that state reduced tuition and higher admission chances; they're the ones who have been paying taxes and supporting the education system, after all.

EDIT: Oh, of course we've moved on by the time I've written my long, fancy post. :laugh: I wish I could type faster.

Reactions: 1 user
here's a rant that has NOTHING to do with veterinary medicine. My entire left arm hurts. I would cut it off and replace it with a bionic one but my right one isn't through PT yet and my suturing and hemostasis skills leave something to be desired. So my rant is that bionic limbs aren't a reality for me yet
Those stinkin' butterflies never did their job. :(

It *IS* not fair. No doubt. But it doesn't mean it's my state's obligation to deal with it. It's on your state to build a vet school (ugh) or, better, make arrangements with another state.
Lol, totes joking. Tongue in cheek cuz I'm about to start clinics. Lol. And we used to have contract seats, but budget cuts, ya know...

Oh but then if the state does build a vet school they're only attributing to the higher number of students competing for less jobs after graduation. Its a lose-lose

Oh but then if the state does build a vet school they're only attributing to the higher number of students competing for less jobs after graduation. Its a lose-lose

1000% agreed. But that's why contract seats are a MUCH better solution. So, there IS a solution for states without a vet school. They just have to decide to throw some money at it like the states that fund their own school.

But if you (general you, not you you) come from a state without a vet school where the state has decided it's not a worthwhile investment to buy seats somewhere else.... bummer. It's unfair you were born or moved there, but it's really not someone ELSE'S or some other state's problem. At that point, move somewhere and gain residency if you want to have an in-state vet school or suck it up and deal with being out-of-state.

Reactions: 2 users
Yep. I have had to break my "Do Not Get involved, I ain't got time for dat!" numerous times this event season. It frightens me beyond belief, and for sure makes me think that even if it is better to take two years off to get research done before rejoining DVM, I will just do one so I can at least be a part of a sane class from last year...
Hey, not all of us are crazy. I mean I did go a little insane during that one WW game, but other than that...:oops:

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
More of a whine... Target is going out of business. You'd think this would result in some pretty significant sell-offs of merchandise. Nope. All clothes are still regular price.

Hey, not all of us are crazy. I mean I did go a little insane during that one WW game, but other than that...:oops:
I was just teasing. I would never assume the entire cart was a complete wreck despite having incredibly squeaky and non-working wheels. Oh wait, as soon as I grab one of those I put it back for one with all working parts... ;)

Reactions: 3 users
I think it's just Canada's target that is closing down? I really like my target so I'm hoping that's the case. I can probably rant about this! I'm getting married in June and matriculating in August, I'm probably going to tear my hair out soon. The wedding it just about planned out now but oh the pain -_-.

Last edited:
Yeah, it's just the Canadian stores. Which is really lousy for all the people who were laid off by Zellers and then hired by Target. It sort of surprised me because I always found the Charlottetown Target pretty busy, but I guess the other stores aren't doing as well.

HEY.

That was a very unwarranted heart attack.

You have to CLARIFY, people.

*mumbles* Target closing...
I had a very similar reaction when I saw one of my Canadian friends posting about this on Facebook, don't feel bad. I was just like... :eek:

I had a very similar reaction when I saw one of my Canadian friends posting about this on Facebook, don't feel bad. I was just like... :eek:
My reaction actually! I don't know what I would do if Target closed

I was supposed to have my phone interview for Banfield SJP this morning before class and was so psyched up and ready to go and get it over with (I'm pretty sure I was going through interview questions in my sleep last night because that's all I could think about in my semiconscious state every time I woke up), and the woman calls me as I'm driving in to school to tell me that she's going to have to reschedule because she's snowed in and doesn't have the necessary materials to work from home. Blehhhhh! I hate being inconvenienced by a snowstorm that I don't even get to enjoy... :yeahright:

The creator of RWBY, Monty Oum, passed away today due to a severe allergic reaction to a previous medical procedure.
:cryi:

The creator of RWBY, Monty Oum, passed away today due to a severe allergic reaction to a previous medical procedure.
:cryi:
I heard when he was hospitalized and they said may not recover, didn't realize he passed away. So sad :( His poor wife...
Rooster Teeth won't be the same without him, that's for sure.

Sad because I euthanized a young healthy but aggressive cat. And the owner really tried to fix the behavior issues but he was attacking her in the middle of the night without provocation. She woke up with his mouth on her face one night.

I just hate it.

Yeah, it's just the Canadian stores. Which is really lousy for all the people who were laid off by Zellers and then hired by Target. It sort of surprised me because I always found the Charlottetown Target pretty busy, but I guess the other stores aren't doing as well.
My boyfriend and I have a half-joking plan to move to Canada someday, and when we learned all of their Targets were closing I told him "nope, can't do that anymore!" ;) There was some other business or restaurant we realized y'all don't have the other day that made us sad, but I'm blanking on what it was now...

My boyfriend and I have a half-joking plan to move to Canada someday, and when we learned all of their Targets were closing I told him "nope, can't do that anymore!" ;) There was some other business or restaurant we realized y'all don't have the other day that made us sad, but I'm blanking on what it was now...
But they do have Harvey's and I really like Harvey's as far as fast food goes.

But they do have Harvey's and I really like Harvey's as far as fast food goes.
Love me some Harvey's.

My rant.... SNOW! OMFG SNOW! Ugh, it's only the beginning of February and I already want to flee. 115 cm in a week (45 inches) for us, plus more on the way on Thursday. *cries*

I love having hard floors throughout most of my apartment but that also means dropping anything glass, like a stupid expensive Edison bulb, sends shards going out in all directions through my living room, dining room, and kitchen. I thought I had cleaned things up really well, but apparently not. At least I clot quickly. :(

Love me some Harvey's.

My rant.... SNOW! OMFG SNOW! Ugh, it's only the beginning of February and I already want to flee. 115 cm in a week (45 inches) for us, plus more on the way on Thursday. *cries*

(hides)

But think how glorious and snow-free it will be on your last rotation! :D

Ugh. Horrible day. Failed my first vet school exam, and I have a horrible headache to top it off.

I think I'm going to take a 13 hour nap and try again at life tomorrow.

You know what really grinds my gears? Sending an email with a question, and then getting a response that shows the person explicitly did not read your email. It was one freaking sentence long! urrrgh.

Also horrible: sending emails into an abyss that never responds. WHY give this email as contact info if you don't ANSWER ittt?!

I have caught the death plague and am now known as "typhoid mary" in anesthesia.
I have an inhaler now...major dork status.

I literally walked into major knee issues yesterday. As in walked a straight line and by the end of it, couldn't weight bear on the left without severe pain.

At least the plague is relatively limited :p

I got an unexpected small raise at my call center job, which would ordinarily be a rave, except for now I make just as much there as I do at the clinic, which I find kind of ridiculous. Of course I'm not in ved med for the money, but relative to what I know other clinics in this area pay, it's pretty sad. If I don't get into vet school this cycle, I'll definitely be researching if any other clinics near me are hiring. This clinic owner is frugal to the point of insanity, which also results in us reusing certain things we really shouldn't. There are other things that bother me as well.

I need to learn to follow the mantra of "go with your gut feeling" on tests. I had my first exam in Organic 2 today, and there's a whole section of questions that I got absolutely, flat-out WRONG because I doubted my first few answers; lo and behold, upon further research, turns out I was correct to begin with. Of course. I'm such an idiot...

I need to learn to follow the mantra of "go with your gut feeling" on tests. I had my first exam in Organic 2 today, and there's a whole section of questions that I got absolutely, flat-out WRONG because I doubted my first few answers; lo and behold, upon further research, turns out I was correct to begin with. Of course. I'm such an idiot...
Lesson learned, move on. "Never second guess" has gotten me through vet school and the NAVLE. I'm almost always one of the first people done on multiple choice exams because I read it, and I either know the answer or I narrow it down and take a guess. I don't fuss and I don't change answers. I DO reread because I've been caught a few times on "Which of these is incorrect..." but once I've picked an answer, I leave it.

Reactions: 3 users
Lesson learned, move on. "Never second guess" has gotten me through vet school and the NAVLE. I'm almost always one of the first people done on multiple choice exams because I read it, and I either know the answer or I narrow it down and take a guess. I don't fuss and I don't change answers. I DO reread because I've been caught a few times on "Which of these is incorrect..." but once I've picked an answer, I leave it.

I'm the same way! It's served me well in life so far, I can't just sit there for half an hour thinking about one question. Know it or not, move on :)

Reactions: 1 users