RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is this approval of thst idea? Lol.

Hell. Yes.

I mean, those of us who are a bit ahead of you time-wise give some pretty .... conflicting .... advice sometimes. Save money! Gain clinical skill! Blah blah blah.

But there's a time and a place for everything. Just my opinion, but your summer before starting vet school? Not that you should spend the ENTIRE time being a total bum ... but take a lot of time off, relax, do fun things, get your bills on autopay, etc. Come to vet school rested, relaxed, healthy, and energized. It will just help the transition.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
So I am on the kennel staff at a clinic. We’ve had a lot of staff rollover recently and our recent hire quit after two weeks. We were asked to cover the rest of their shifts after their quit date. We schedule our shifts a month at a time and, as you might guess, I plan my months around my work schedule. I signed up for shifts that I was able to cover but there were two shifts no one could cover. Our manager warned us that if we didn’t sign up for shifts, he would assign them to us. A few days later, I get assigned a shift that I’ve made it clear I can’t cover. I have had plans for this evening for 3 weeks but that doesn’t matter now because I am required to cover this shift. It might not sound like a big deal but really it is the latest in a long string of annoying things at this clinic. I’m not above kennel work by any means but I’m so tired of being treated like a disposable employee. For example, none of the tech staff knows my name or seems in any way interested in speaking with me, despite my initial attempts to introduce myself or interact with them. Furthermore, the kennel staff was not invited to the clinic Christmas party (seriously). And, last month, I was randomly paid at a lower rate than usual and no one noticed but me. Putting in my two week notice today.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So I am on the kennel staff at a clinic. We’ve had a lot of staff rollover recently and our recent hire quit after two weeks. We were asked to cover the rest of their shifts after their quit date. We schedule our shifts a month at a time and, as you might guess, I plan my months around my work schedule. I signed up for shifts that I was able to cover but there were two shifts no one could cover. Our manager warned us that if we didn’t sign up for shifts, he would assign them to us. A few days later, I get assigned a shift that I’ve made it clear I can’t cover. I have had plans for this evening for 3 weeks but that doesn’t matter now because I am required to cover this shift. It might not sound like a big deal but really it is the latest in a long string of annoying things at this clinic. I’m not above kennel work by any means but I’m so tired of being treated like a disposable employee. For example, none of the tech staff knows my name or seems in any way interested in speaking with me, despite my initial attempts to introduce myself or interact with them. Furthermore, the kennel staff was not invited to the clinic Christmas party (seriously). And, last month, I was randomly paid at a lower rate than usual and no one noticed but me. Putting in my two week notice today.

Good for you for sticking up for yourself and leaving a toxic place. I really hate how some veterinary employers think it's okay to act like they own your life. If the month's schedule was already made up, then you should have every right to have the days you were supposed to have off off. They can ask nicely, and they can provide incentives for you to work extra. But they can't just say that you must cancel plans you've already made on a whim to cover for open shifts or else. Their poor employee retention is not your problem!

Good for you for sticking up for yourself and leaving a toxic place. I really hate how some veterinary employers think it's okay to act like they own your life. If the month's schedule was already made up, then you should have every right to have the days you were supposed to have off off. They can ask nicely, and they can provide incentives for you to work extra. But they can't just say that you must cancel plans you've already made on a whim to cover for open shifts or else. Their poor employee retention is not your problem!
I've been in a similar situation, but on the supervisor side of things. Working in a res hall, I had to keep the front desks staffed around the clock. I had a situation come up where a student scheduled himself for 60+ hours in a week, he was only allowed 40. So I had to make schedule changes for everything to even out. I sent e-mails, text messages, directly contacted other staff to see if I could find relief for these hours, nothing. So I said that if this wasn't fixed by X day, I was assigning the shifts. But in the end I made changes that only affected the student that caused the problem, and my other 20 staff members were unaffected. Scheduling is hell, and I understand that shifts need to be filled, but direct it to the ones who cause the problem, don't assume the rest of your staff has to make up for one person's mistake.

Reactions: 1 user
good for you for leaving! is there are reason the supervisor cant cover those shifts? i feel like when you are in that type of role, its on you to suck it up if no one else will fill in.
Apparently we only get 2 externship blocks and 2 vacation blocks in 12 months of rotations. :lame:
we only get up to 4 weeks of vacation and our schools are allowed to cap us on externships. although i definitely see the up side to being allowed to have a lot of externships/vacation time, it often leads services either without students at all (which i dont care), or it leaves rotations with 1 student (and then inadvertently that poor student has to do many peoples worth of work regardless of what is promised/said). it seems pretty common to have only 2-3 externship blocks though fyi

We get 4 off blocks. Those can be used for externships or vacation.

How long is a block? If it's two weeks, you could take 8 weeks of vacation?? Geez. I'd be a total slacker and do that.

We get up to 5 (2-week) externships. We get up to 2 (2-week) vacation rotations. Our externship blocks and vacation aren't mixed like that. We don't HAVE to take externships; we could take in-house elective rotations instead. (At least, that's what I remember. I went ahead and took all 5 externships.)

How long is a block? If it's two weeks, you could take 8 weeks of vacation?? Geez. I'd be a total slacker and do that.

We get up to 5 (2-week) externships. We get up to 2 (2-week) vacation rotations. Our externship blocks and vacation aren't mixed like that. We don't HAVE to take externships; we could take in-house elective rotations instead. (At least, that's what I remember. I went ahead and took all 5 externships.)

We have specified selectives we have to take and you can use preceptors to cover those. Externships are independent from the school, you do those and fund them on your own if you want to do them. Can't even get loan money to cover them.

The 4 blocks are free time. You can take them off or use them for externships. It is 8 weeks total. If you do preceptors for required rotations there is a long list of things you have to accomplish to get credit.

Furthermore, the kennel staff was not invited to the clinic Christmas party (seriously).
I'm sorry.... What? There was a company party where one department wasn't invited? That is wrong and probably grounds for a lawsuit with the right lawyer (that kennel staff couldn't afford). I've aways respected good kennel staff because I know how necessary they are.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm sorry.... What? There was a company party where one department wasn't invited? That is wrong and probably grounds for a lawsuit with the right lawyer (that kennel staff couldn't afford). I've aways respected good kennel staff because I know how necessary they are.

A LAWSUIT? Why? Is there some law that says when a company throws a party it's required to invite everyone?

I mean, yeah, it's definitely crappy, and *I'd* never do that to my staff, but .... a lawsuit? Yikes.

A LAWSUIT? Why? Is there some law that says when a company throws a party it's required to invite everyone?

I mean, yeah, it's definitely crappy, and *I'd* never do that to my staff, but .... a lawsuit? Yikes.
It could fall under discrimination if it was a company sponsored party. I'm not saying I would sue over it, but with the right lawyer I could see how someone could. At very least it's in poor taste of the employer. If its a large company I could see how you could get away with leaving out part-time or temp/seasonal employees, but there must be full-time kennel staff.

We get one three week vacation block, plus one week around Christmas. Then two off-campus preceptors and four blocks that could be electives on campus or off-campus rotations, either one. Everything is 3 weeks each.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have 5 blocks (blocks are 3 weeks each) of required in house rotations, and another minimum of 2 blocks of in house electives. For externships, we have up to 4 blocks, but general practice can only be up to 2 blocks of it (the other two have to be specialties). Vacation is up to 2 blocks, not counting winter break. Total of 13 blocks of stuff (in house and externs) needed to get the shiny bit of paper at the end.

good for you for leaving! is there are reason the supervisor cant cover those shifts? i feel like when you are in that type of role, its on you to suck it up if no one else will fill in.
I agree and that's part of the reason why I was so frustrated. I'm not sure if that was even considered. But whatevs! I put in my notice!

It could fall under discrimination if it was a company sponsored party. I'm not saying I would sue over it, but with the right lawyer I could see how someone could. At very least it's in poor taste of the employer. If its a large company I could see how you could get away with leaving out part-time or temp/seasonal employees, but there must be full-time kennel staff.
I agree it was in poor taste. We're are all part time staff and we do mostly work after business hours, but still, I was kind of shocked.

The best thing I've learned from this job is how not to treat employees :)

SO and I found a house that we are IN LOVE WITH while out looking today. The problem is, it's over an hour (more like 1h15m) to his work and to one of my possible job locations (but no sweat to the other two possibilities). We want this house SO BAD and he doesn't mind the drive (already drives an hr to work every day anyway), but I don't have anything lined up yet. Do we bite the bullet and buy the beauty or risk it getting snatched up (as it rightfully should) before I have an offer somewhere? Help :(

I should add that we're qualified to purchase based on his income alone, so the price/me having a job isn't an issue for buying the house.

SO and I found a house that we are IN LOVE WITH while out looking today. The problem is, it's over an hour (more like 1h15m) to his work and to one of my possible job locations (but no sweat to the other two possibilities). We want this house SO BAD and he doesn't mind the drive (already drives an hr to work every day anyway), but I don't have anything lined up yet. Do we bite the bullet and buy the beauty or risk it getting snatched up (as it rightfully should) before I have an offer somewhere? Help :(

I should add that we're qualified to purchase based on his income alone, so the price/me having a job isn't an issue for buying the house.
Yikes. I dunno on this one. I am not a fan of commuting though. Granted that was LA traffic, but I love being able to go home at a whim to chill out. I cannot relax unless I am in my environment without another soul intruding. If your hubby is already commuting an hour, I suppose he has built up a tolerance to it, so it is really on you if you think you could handle it as well.

You might also ask about the housing market. If you guys go ahead and take the plunge, but find that it just isn't worth it, how quickly would you be able to change your circumstances? As in, would the house be able to be sold for what you paid for it or more?

I think the more scenarios you guys can work through, the happier you would be with whatever choice you end up making. I fell in love with a house once, but if I had gone through with purchase, I can see now that I would have been absolutely screwed if I had given into that particular whim. That was ME though. Clovers for the outcome! :luck::luck::luck:

Untitled 4.png

But-but it was almost 70 degrees a week ago!!! o_O At least I don't have to go anywhere for any reason tomorrow, for the first time in 4 weeks! I can wear my pajamas allllll day and watch the snow falling with a mug of hot cocoa in one hand and clin path homework in the other.

Internal medicine hasnt even started yet (tomorrow) and I already have a migraine. What is it about that department and me getting migraines?! I will NOT be an internist - I have had more migraines during those 5 weeks of rotations than I have in a very long time. Ugh. Not excited for 2 more weeks :(

A woman just brought in her unvaccinated intact male cat with a wound of unknown origin. I asked her if he was neutered just to confirm, and she said "No, we haven't gotten him neutered because we thought that would be better since he's 100% outdoors." :annoyed::mad::rage::wtf:

How'd the quarantine discussion go with that one? I once had a client who got annoyed the first time we had to quarantine her cat and treat for a wound of unknown origin. She then got super annoyed when it happened again. Simple answer: DON'T HAVE AN OUTDOOR CAT if you don't want to deal with random bites. I totally get that cats get out sometimes, but my sympathy will be lower if things happen and you're purposely keeping/letting your cat outdoors.

How'd the quarantine discussion go with that one? I once had a client who got annoyed the first time we had to quarantine her cat and treat for a wound of unknown origin. She then got super annoyed when it happened again. Simple answer: DON'T HAVE AN OUTDOOR CAT if you don't want to deal with random bites. I totally get that cats get out sometimes, but my sympathy will be lower if things happen and you're purposely keeping/letting your cat outdoors.
We're not 100% sure if there is a wound yet (but it's highly suspected by us and the owner), because the cat is somewhat feral. I warned her of the possibility of needing quarantine and she became overwhelmed. I know some people we can trust to quarantine at home, but I'm 100% sure she won't comply at all.

Being squeezed into a smaller classroom for an elective with a full class. Currently sitting on the floor along with 3 other classmates. There might be some extra chairs but they're in the middle of the group and I got in a few minutes late and didn't want to bump into every single person to get into them.

I feel like I'm going to be pregnant forever. I was here over the weekend, 11 days before my due date, wrestling with a stapling up a sheep. And of course I'm here now... working 50+ hours a week at a physically demanding job... until I go into labor. And I'm so. freaking. exhausted. Come ON baby!

I hate it when people complain to me about being vet school (the course load, the money, the no time for friends, etc) when they know that I have tried twice and didn't get it. I would sell a kidney or give most of my liver away, or sacrifice whatever was asked to have the same problem they do. And when I offhandedly mention this they either still complain or tell me I'm lucky I didn't get in and have to put up with what they are enduring. It really causes my blood to boil!!!!

:mad:

I just got my rejection letter from Ross (last school I was waiting on) and after applying 3 times to vet school and being rejected 3 times, my head hurts from sobbing so much. A girl in my undergrad decided to quit vet school in her 3rd year cause she didn't want to miss home anymore. I would become a human juice box to take the opportunity she threw away. You and I are on the same boat, I understand your frustration completely.

#Ungrateful

I just got my rejection letter from Ross (last school I was waiting on) and after applying 3 times to vet school and being rejected 3 times, my head hurts from sobbing so much. A girl in my undergrad decided to quit vet school in her 3rd year cause she didn't want to miss home anymore. I would become a human juice box to take the opportunity she threw away. You and I are on the same boat, I understand your frustration completely.

#Ungrateful

Lol, how old was that post you quoted?

Reactions: 2 users
Probably Ancient, fortunately it's still applicable.

Considering the person you quoted is in third year of vet school she's not in the waiting boat with you.

But we get the frustration of applying but the frustration of vet school is so much worse and you will complain too when you get here, don't discredit those complaints, they are valid.

#Ungrateful
I'm sure it was more than just missing home. Do you know how hard it is to quit in your 3rd year? particularly if you have debt?

I'm sure it was more than just missing home. Do you know how hard it is to quit in your 3rd year? particularly if you have debt?
She was pretty unstable from the start. She had to re-do some classes over the summer in her 1st year but bounced back in the 2nd year. Why wait till year 3? I have several friends who have completed their DVMs/MS, DVMs/PhDs and are in far more debt than she is. The $ was never an impediment to finish the degree.

She was pretty unstable from the start. She had to re-do some classes over the summer in her 1st year but bounced back in the 2nd year. Why wait till year 3? I have several friends who have completed their DVMs/MS, DVMs/PhDs and are in far more debt than she is. The $ was never an impediment to finish the degree.

I had a friend quit in year 3.. she thought about it before year 3 but didn't want anyone to judge her and didn't want to be seen as a "failure". Her reason for leaving was simple... she just didn't see herself being a vet anymore. And she said as soon as she finally made and committed to the decision to leave she felt so much relief and happiness almost instantly. Sometimes things happen and people change their minds. They are allowed to do that without any justification for doing so.

But it is an impediment to quitting so far in.....

See, it sounds like it was more than missing home. There comes a point when it isn't worth it anymore. despite what her passion for it might have been

one of my classmates quit during clinics

I was at the post office a few weeks ago and the (young) post office clerk noticed I was mailing something to the state board of vet med. She said she dropped out midway through vet school (I think 2nd year or something? I forget now.). Said the loans were too much for her to handle.

It was kinda a weird conversation. She wasn't very friendly, really. Kinda one of those people who tells you their life story with a frown the entire time. Wasn't really sure what to tell her.

Everything seemed to have gone wrong over the last couple of days. And I feel like one of my supervisors keeps treating me like I'm 10 and I don't know how to do basic things. I understand if she's under a lot of stress, but that's no reason to belittle your employees. Or insinuate that I don't know how stressful this summer is going to be, between our behavior research, VMCAS, and applying for internships, when last summer I was doing all those same things and was a supervisor at another job on top of that.

Ive been having lower back pain for almost 3 weeks now.. Im seeing a chiropractor and Monday I seemed to make some improvement. But Tuesday morning I woke up hurting as bad as I did in the beginning. So today I go to be seen again and im back where I started... Until I got home and tried to clip my puppies toenails.. While sitting on the floor I felt something pop in my back and had a sudden shooting pain down my right leg. Ever since I have been in pretty serious pain and my leg feels "weird" . Husband is saying I need to see my primary care provider. But I dont know what they will do for me - except give me pain meds and tell me to ice etc. I just want to not hurt anymore.

Ive been having lower back pain for almost 3 weeks now.. Im seeing a chiropractor and Monday I seemed to make some improvement. But Tuesday morning I woke up hurting as bad as I did in the beginning. So today I go to be seen again and im back where I started... Until I got home and tried to clip my puppies toenails.. While sitting on the floor I felt something pop in my back and had a sudden shooting pain down my right leg. Ever since I have been in pretty serious pain and my leg feels "weird" . Husband is saying I need to see my primary care provider. But I dont know what they will do for me - except give me pain meds and tell me to ice etc. I just want to not hurt anymore.
listen to hubby. Seriously.

to the physician, ASAP! sounds like a disc issue

Life is too short and death comes too unexpected. We lost a wonderful member of the CVM family yesterday. Very sad, she was a great soul.

Minor whine: They had the samples for our white coats today so we can choose sizes. Our blue coats are good quality, cinched in at the waist (enough to be fitted on the women, but not enough that it seems to bother the men) and go up by 2" increments by chest size. The white coats seem like cheap fabric, only go "XS, S, M, L, XL" (with seemingly huge jumps between sizes) and they're mens' sizes (well technically "unisex"), which means in order to fit my chest and hips, I have to go to a S, so it's huge in the waist and the sleeves come past my finger tips (so lots of tailoring needed after the ceremony and hope it doesn't look too ridiculous in pictures that night). Or I get an XS which I can't button around my hips and wear it open, which probably defeats the purpose of a lab coat in the first place.

Minor whine: They had the samples for our white coats today so we can choose sizes. Our blue coats are good quality, cinched in at the waist (enough to be fitted on the women, but not enough that it seems to bother the men) and go up by 2" increments by chest size. The white coats seem like cheap fabric, only go "XS, S, M, L, XL" (with seemingly huge jumps between sizes) and they're mens' sizes (well technically "unisex"), which means in order to fit my chest and hips, I have to go to a S, so it's huge in the waist and the sleeves come past my finger tips (so lots of tailoring needed after the ceremony and hope it doesn't look too ridiculous in pictures that night). Or I get an XS which I can't button around my hips and wear it open, which probably defeats the purpose of a lab coat in the first place.

Do what I do: Don't wear it.

I took a hit on a rotation grade once for it. I'm ok with that.

Eh, it's kind of a non-issue (which is why I labelled it "minor whine"), since we only get them at white coat ceremony and then technically never have to wear them again since we're done with the teaching hospital, and my employer gives me lab coats. It was just annoying at the drastic change in quality between our blue coats and our white coats. I'll probably opt for the XS just so it looks half decent in white coat ceremony pictures (IE so I don't end up with a bunch of photos of me looking like a little kid playing dress up).