RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
The equine people made me fall in love with horses, especially lameness exams. One of the equine rehab clinicians asked me to take the rehab elective and so I'm trying to switch my schedule around. I'm hitting a roadblock every step of the way. My stupid small animal schedule is completely incompatible with Dr. C's and I'm getting really frustrated because I just want to do nerve blocks and joint injections!

Reactions: 1 user
Sister's list of complaints about my grad weekend:
She has nothing to wear (Mom offered to buy her something)
It's too hectic and she wanted time to take naps, swim and go to the spa (Parents are paying for her hotel room, no idea how she was going to pay for these spa services. Also told her that if she wanted more free time, she could skip grad in the morning and just go to White Coat.)
The 5 hour drive is too long (She isn't driving and could nap in the back seat if she wanted.)
Jeez, I'm suddenly much more appreciative of my older sister. Although she has a tendency to be dramatic/immature in other ways.

The equine people made me fall in love with horses, especially lameness exams. One of the equine rehab clinicians asked me to take the rehab elective and so I'm trying to switch my schedule around. I'm hitting a roadblock every step of the way. My stupid small animal schedule is completely incompatible with Dr. C's and I'm getting really frustrated because I just want to do nerve blocks and joint injections!
As a small animal kid, I was very surprised by how much I loved my equine blocks. Just a good example of why taking rotations outside of your comfort zone and intended path is an excelle,t idea!

I still have one year of vet school left. Yes, this is a rant. I'm so done.

Would you believe 33?

Ugh. Someone needs a lesson, and the lesson isn't that whining and drama will get her a new outfit and a free hotel room.

I say, if she wants more free time, she can stay at home while the rest of you enjoy what the day is about. You.

Ugh. Someone needs a lesson, and the lesson isn't that whining and drama will get her a new outfit and a free hotel room.

I say, if she wants more free time, she can stay at home while the rest of you enjoy what the day is about. You.
Sadly, she's had 33 years to learn that lesson and it hasn't sunk in. She's a lot better then she used to be and 99% of the time we have a great relationship. But the other 1%... Well, this is a prime example.

Sadly, she's had 33 years to learn that lesson and it hasn't sunk in. She's a lot better then she used to be and 99% of the time we have a great relationship. But the other 1%... Well, this is a prime example.

Possibly because whining and drama IS getting her a new outfit and a free hotel room?

I know how it is with sisters. I have one too. You love them even when you hate them. Hopefully it will all work out and you have a good graduation!

You love them even when you hate them.

if-you-dont-understand-how-a-woman-can-both-love-her-sister-and-want-to-wring-her-neck-at-the-same-timeyou-were-probably-an-only-child-happiness-quote.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Possibly because whining and drama IS getting her a new outfit and a free hotel room?
For the record, she didn't whine to get it. In her defense, she's broke and the only reason she is able to go is because my parents are covering her expenses. It was the fact that everything was covered for her snd she was still being a drama llama that was annoying me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't go to vet school if you love your pets kids, you won't be able to afford their medical care and it will leave you feeling like you sold your soul for nothing.

The first patient I saw on rotations died (lymphoma).

The last patient I saw on rotations died (arrested).

While I appreciate symmetry in life, this wasn't exactly how I was hoping to end rotations. Ah well. Back to the real world again. I doubt it's changed much in 4 years.

Smart-ass comments like "didn't they teach you guys anything in orientation?" does not make the day any more enjoyable, even when you're not directing it at at me. It's our first rotation, and we're on internal medicine, which is not exactly a walk in the park. The specifics of your guys' discharge forms definitely is not covered in orientation.

Also my patient is absolutely adorable, has thousands of instagram followers and an insanely dedicated owner, and has maybe a 50/50 chance on dialysis...

Last edited:
Moving. I hate moving. I hate packing. I hate that I had to give notice on my apartment before having something else 100% lined up. Hello, insomnia and panic attacks.

House hunting is apparently just as stressful for across town moves as it was for cross country moves. Fingers crossed that the last of the inspection stuff goes well and I never ever have to move again.

Reactions: 3 users
The first patient I saw on rotations died (lymphoma).

The last patient I saw on rotations died (arrested).

While I appreciate symmetry in life, this wasn't exactly how I was hoping to end rotations. Ah well. Back to the real world again. I doubt it's changed much in 4 years.
now that you mention it, my 1st patient died (though it will eventually be a case report publication) and my last SA patient was euthanized (thank goodness in this situation, the case was a train wreck) hmm.

Smart-ass comments like "didn't they teach you guys anything in orientation?" does not make the day any more enjoyable, even when you're not directing it at at me. It's our first rotation, and we're on internal medicine, which is not exactly a walk in the park. The specifics of your guys' discharge forms definitely is not covered in orientation.

Also my patient is absolutely adorable, has thousands of instagram followers and an insanely dedicated owner, and has maybe a 50/50 chance on dialysis...
IM isnt the most tactful service, and they certainly dont excel in mentorship unfortunately. just try and ignore it, and know that when its over, you can write it in their reviews (even if no one ever sees them [because who knows], it still always made me feel better!). i hope your patient lives, what an interesting case! dialysis is super awesome to watch if you have a chance to watch Dr. V at work, he is an awesome clinician and will talk you through things and answer any questions. i was lucky enough to have 2 dialysis cases, both of which ultimately turned out well.

Moving. I hate moving. I hate packing. I hate that I had to give notice on my apartment before having something else 100% lined up. Hello, insomnia and panic attacks.

House hunting is apparently just as stressful for across town moves as it was for cross country moves. Fingers crossed that the last of the inspection stuff goes well and I never ever have to move again.
i hate packing and moving more than pretty much anything in the world. i would honestly rather take a week of finals followed by NAVLE instead of packing and moving. not exactly sure what that says about me, but ugh packing is the absolute worst!

good luck with your move :) i bed an awesome little place will fall in your lap and everything will work out great!

Ugh I agree! After finishing finals today I had to come home and pack up my apartment so I can move 3.5 hours away tomorrow. I really don't want to move this weekend...

IM isnt the most tactful service, and they certainly dont excel in mentorship unfortunately. just try and ignore it, and know that when its over, you can write it in their reviews (even if no one ever sees them [because who knows], it still always made me feel better!). i hope your patient lives, what an interesting case! dialysis is super awesome to watch if you have a chance to watch Dr. V at work, he is an awesome clinician and will talk you through things and answer any questions. i was lucky enough to have 2 dialysis cases, both of which ultimately turned out well.

I'm glad to hear that about Dr. V. I've been asking him questions and kind of getting a stone wall back (which is frustrating because I know jack **** about hemodialysis and I don't know how applicable the human articles I read are...), but I know he and the resident were up until like 4am dialyzing this patient and think they are both running a bit on empty.

Got a cortisone shot for my shoulder last week. It helped. For four days. Now my shoulder wants to murder me again :( :( :( I am not pleased. Probably hasn't helped that I've been wrestling horses all week. MRI on Monday. :/

~*~*~Surprise hemoabdomen~*~*~

anim_face_wall.gif
your case is so sad :( and crazy. do they have guesses as to why that happened?

(this reminds me of the surprise peritoneal effusion we found after dialysing one of my patients on IM. everyone spent the day FREAKING OUT worrying it was a uroabdomen, and then Dr. V comes in that night and says oh no guys, thats normal!! it'll go away soon, and sure enough, it did haha)

your case is so sad :( and crazy. do they have guesses as to why that happened?

(this reminds me of the surprise peritoneal effusion we found after dialysing one of my patients on IM. everyone spent the day FREAKING OUT worrying it was a uroabdomen, and then Dr. V comes in that night and says oh no guys, thats normal!! it'll go away soon, and sure enough, it did haha)

They thought it might be delayed bleeding from his prostatectomy site after it wasn't controlled with an absurd amount of blood products and his coag panel looked OK, so they went to exploratory surgery. Found a necrotic, bleeding mass on his liver against the vena cava with a giant clot over it. Resected as much as they could but he's still not looking awesome. :( He's had multiple ultrasounds by boarded radiologists who saw zero trace of this, totally caught everybody off guard. He's had a progressive ALP increase over the last 6 months that now fits in really well...

What's sad is that even if he gets through all of this, his prostate surgery didn't get clean margins and who freaking knows what this liver tumor is (could be metastatic, could be another primary). He doesn't have much time even with the owner literally doing everything she can.

The patient I have been caring for for over a week didn't make it. This is the first patient that I have personally invested my heart and soul into, the patient I stayed two hours after my shift was over to talk to her doctor about, the patient I always checked on when I got in for rounds each day, the patient whose stall I sat on the floor next to for hours because I was concerned she wasn't feel well. I am so heartbroken about this. And honestly, I never thought I'd feel this way about a horse. Thank you for teaching me. RIP sweet girl; run free.

The patient I have been caring for for over a week didn't make it. This is the first patient that I have personally invested my heart and soul into, the patient I stayed two hours after my shift was over to talk to her doctor about, the patient I always checked on when I got in for rounds each day, the patient whose stall I sat on the floor next to for hours because I was concerned she wasn't feel well. I am so heartbroken about this. And honestly, I never thought I'd feel this way about a horse. Thank you for teaching me. RIP sweet girl; run free.
I am so sorry for your loss. As students we pour even more personal time into our patients caring for them than most of the team does. Its so hard to lose ones you come to really care for. It's hardest when the team works their hardest on a case that is really tough (incurable disease, suffering pet, owners who just won't stop). Know that it will happen again, but that you provided lots of kidneas and comfort to an animal who was afraid and alone.

I am someone that will go to the end of the world and back for any clients that let me help their pets, like waaaaay above and beyond, which is why I end up working 2 hrs a day longer than I need to... Like every freaking day (which is a lot when you consider that my normal work day is 12-13hrs long and I have an hour commute each way).

However, I cannot help you when you dictate what narrow spectrum of (inappropriate) care you are willing to do, and won't even attempt to meet me part way in the middle. Ughhhh

Someone in one of my facebook groups is selling fresh eggs for $3/dz, and advertising them as "pastured and vegetarian fed"
But someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ALL CHICKENS (typically) VEGETARIAN FED?

Someone in one of my facebook groups is selling fresh eggs for $3/dz, and advertising them as "pastured and vegetarian fed"
But someone correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't ALL CHICKENS (typically) VEGETARIAN FED?
Actually, many chicken feeds contain animal by-products as protein sources. I don't know the statistics but I'd bet the majority of chickens (at least commercially raised ones) are eating non-vegetarian feeds.

I saw something recently advertising vegetarian fed backyard chickens as well, and it made me wonder where eating insects would fall.

I saw something recently advertising vegetarian fed backyard chickens as well, and it made me wonder where eating insects would fall.
When I took a mammalogy class in undergrad we classified insect eaters as "insectivores" and it fell more along the carnivore than the herbivore track.

Chickens probably shouldn't be vegetarian...
Mine certainly aren't...regardless of whatever I feed them they still feel the need to munch on the mice living in the coop, and any frogs/salamanders/downed birds they can find. They remind me of mini velociraptors.

Mine certainly aren't...regardless of whatever I feed them they still feel the need to munch on the mice living in the coop, and any frogs/salamanders/downed birds they can find. They remind me of mini velociraptors.
There digestive tracts aren't meant to digest meats (like beef, pork, other poultry products). We talked about it in my poultry class. For a diet to be considered vegetarian, it cannot contain animal byproducts like blood meals or feather meals.

There digestive tracts aren't meant to digest meats (like beef, pork, other poultry products). We talked about it in my poultry class. For a diet to be considered vegetarian, it cannot contain animal byproducts like blood meals or feather meals.
Where do insects fall then? I was always under the impression that since insects are in the kingdom animalia, that insectivores were considered carnivorous.

Where do insects fall then? I was always under the impression that since insects are in the kingdom animalia, that insectivores were considered carnivorous.

According to Wikipedia ( :prof: ), insectivores are like a sub-class of carnivores. If I were talking to someone about it, I'd make the distinction and call them insectivores, not carnivores. I feel as though chickens are essentially omnivorous, though.

According to Wikipedia ( :prof: ), insectivores are like a sub-class of carnivores. If I were talking to someone about it, I'd make the distinction and call them insectivores, not carnivores. I feel as though chickens are essentially omnivorous, though.
I'd call them omnivores also, but for the distinction of saying they are on a vegetarian diet, does that include or exclude insects?

I'd call them omnivores also, but for the distinction of saying they are on a vegetarian diet, does that include or exclude insects?
I know for a fact that Mallard ducks are considered omniverous because it was on my exam on Monday, and it's because they eat slugs and such... does that count?

I just ADORE getting messages from randomers. In the past week or so I've gotten strange texts, facebook messages/friend requests, and now some weirdo messages on here. Feeling like there is a sign on the internet that says please bug me.

I just ADORE getting messages from randomers. In the past week or so I've gotten strange texts, facebook messages/friend requests, and now some weirdo messages on here. Feeling like there is a sign on the internet that says please bug me.

If you got one that said "Where's my boomerang?" you can assume it was from me.

Reactions: 2 users
I ordered a pillow from Value City Furniture that was supposed to come Tuesday of last week that was shipped through UPS and is now "missing." Today I go to check on an Amazon order shipped, again through UPS, and it says "delivery attempted." Well, I was home all day, including the time the delivery was attempted. My address is correct on the various invoices. There were no notifications on my door. I'm getting very annoyed. I don't know if it's my local driver who's having difficulties getting things to my address or what. :annoyed:

I guess that I'll have to call them tomorrow and find out what the hell is going on. Granted, VCF never provided me the UPS tracking number so the only information I have about that package comes from VCF customer service reps and not UPS.

Maybe you just have that kind of face.
Like I have the kind of face that tells people I'm the one they should stop to talk about their weird new age religion (my apologies to any followers of the mother god), because I'm too nice to tell them to leave me alone.

Maybe you just have that kind of face.
Like I have the kind of face that tells people I'm the one they should stop to talk about their weird new age religion (my apologies to any followers of the mother god), because I'm too nice to tell them to leave me alone.
I must. Twice this semester I was stopped in the middle of campus by different religious groups bent on conversion.

I also have the face that everybody thinks they've seen before. Can't tell you how many times I've gotten "Have we met?" or "OMGZ you look just like my niece let me show you a picture...." It's weird. Or maybe I'm just not genetically unique :shrug:

I cannot stand living in a state that places no priority on higher education. Thanks to budget cuts, there is no four year university in my state that offers animal nutrition. I couldn't even dream of affording the distance learning courses either. This could have been solved if the equine science program at my school hadn't been cut due to funding but I guess I'm :beat:no pun intended