RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Apparently having ambitions and future academic goals is a bad thing to some employers. I suspect that I've lost out on two jobs I've interviewed for now because I'm applying to vet school and possible future admission would mean I might only be working with X employer until August of 2016.
They have to weigh the costs of training you with the benefits of having you as an employee. If they have the chance to hire an equally qualified applicant who expresses an interest in being there long term, versus someone who may only be there a year, well...
Was this the stated reason that you didn't get the jobs though?

Members don't see this ad.

They have to weigh the costs of training you with the benefits of having you as an employee. If they have the chance to hire an equally qualified applicant who expresses an interest in being there long term, versus someone who may only be there a year, well...
Was this the stated reason that you didn't get the jobs though?

Neither specifically stated why, but after they ask about my future plans, five year goals, etc. and then mention that they're ideally looking for a person to work for two or more years, I think it's pretty clear where at least the first strike against me is going to fall. With one of the jobs, I was also more educated than their average applicant (I just finished my Master's) and likely had a few more years of work experience too.

It is if it requires extensive training. For that reason, I had to commit 2 years for an awesome research job. Was totes worth it.
I wouldn't classify either as requiring extensive training. One job was for a research assistant (description was mostly data entry and administering questionnaires) in a private clinical trial research firm.

Members don't see this ad :)
My roommate keeps making side comments on why introducing my cat to a new cat is an awful idea.
"It's not fair to Juniper because she was here first. If he gets swiped he deserves it. Juniper doesn't deserve this kind of treatment. I don't like the new cat (he's been here less than a day)" She's generally being negative and I'm starting to feel inadequate and insecure about this decision.
This coming from the girl who "hates cats."
"Oh, but not Juniper, she's perfect! She's an angel, even when she's a brat!" Girl spoils my cat more than she would ever spoil any grandchildren. I almost can't wait to separate her from my cat so she can knock it off.

My roommate keeps making side comments on why introducing my cat to a new cat is an awful idea.
"It's not fair to Juniper because she was here first. If he gets swiped he deserves it. Juniper doesn't deserve this kind of treatment. I don't like the new cat (he's been here less than a day)" She's generally being negative and I'm starting to feel inadequate and insecure about this decision.
This coming from the girl who "hates cats."
"Oh, but not Juniper, she's perfect! She's an angel, even when she's a brat!" Girl spoils my cat more than she would ever spoil any grandchildren. I almost can't wait to separate her from my cat so she can knock it off.
Ugh that would make me so angry. Juniper is your cat and you didn't ask for her opinions so she really should just keep her mouth shut. Is she perhaps using Juniper as an excuse because she didn't want another cat living with you guys?

Ugh that would make me so angry. Juniper is your cat and you didn't ask for her opinions so she really should just keep her mouth shut. Is she perhaps using Juniper as an excuse because she didn't want another cat living with you guys?
I sat both of my roommates down and discussed taking in this other cat for the summer. I asked any and all questions that they had with the owner, including indoor accident history, got copies of the vet records, emergency numbers, toys, food, huge litter box, everything, there was plenty of time to say no, and I would have respected that completely if there was a disagreement, seeing as it's not just my apartment. I don't know why she's being so defensive about my cat, or this new cat, who's a total chubby lovebug.
I love her to death, but if she keeps going on like this everytime the poor thing comes out of his room, there's gonna be trouble.

I sat both of my roommates down and discussed taking in this other cat for the summer. I asked any and all questions that they had with the owner, including indoor accident history, got copies of the vet records, emergency numbers, toys, food, huge litter box, everything, there was plenty of time to say no, and I would have respected that completely if there was a disagreement, seeing as it's not just my apartment. I don't know why she's being so defensive about my cat, or this new cat, who's a total chubby lovebug.
I love her to death, but if she keeps going on like this everytime the poor thing comes out of his room, there's gonna be trouble.
Well, whatever the cause of her attitude problem, I wouldn't feel bad about it. Juniper is still pretty young right? It's good for her to be socialized with other animals, she's likely going to have to be around them at some point in her life.

Well, whatever the cause of her attitude problem, I wouldn't feel bad about it. Juniper is still pretty young right? It's good for her to be socialized with other animals, she's likely going to have to be around them at some point in her life.
Juniper's 1.5 years old. And yes, I'm really wanting to get her more socialized, because down the road in the future, I'm going away on internship and I want her to be fostered with another grown cat. AND one day when the BF and I move in together, he has a cat too, just shy of 2 years old.

Reactions: 1 user
Juniper's 1.5 years old. And yes, I'm really wanting to get her more socialized, because down the road in the future, I'm going away on internship and I want her to be fostered with another grown cat. AND one day when the BF and I move in together, he has a cat too, just shy of 2 years old.
Gosh, time flies. I remember you posting pics when you first got her :) i agree, the socialization will be good for her, especially since you know she will have to be around other cats in the future. Maybe try explaining that to your roommate if you haven't already. If you have or she still keeps making comments, I would just ignore her. Or you can tell her to mind her own business :D

the phone did not stop ringing all day. While it's good for business, it's bad for training the new tech. The tech that has been there for a while forgot her nicotine patch today.

my suture kept breaking today (and it isnt expired) nor was I pulling hard.

Just one of those I'm glad the workday is over days.

Went to pick up the rest of my frozen stuff from my old place...electricity was turned off so I had to toss salmon, turkey meatballs, a bunch of veggies, chicken, shrimp and some frozen fruit. Partially my fault because I should have had all my stuff out of there, but kind of wish I had known electricity was going to be turned off and not just transferred back to the landlord.

I had one of those today too. Sooo glad the day is over. Why I had so many very sick emergencies today, I have no idea. Every 20 min block filled the entire day.
yup. exactly.

I had random people just showing up for their "appointment" that wasnt in our scheduler.

Members don't see this ad :)
Gosh, time flies. I remember you posting pics when you first got her :) i agree, the socialization will be good for her, especially since you know she will have to be around other cats in the future. Maybe try explaining that to your roommate if you haven't already. If you have or she still keeps making comments, I would just ignore her. Or you can tell her to mind her own business :D
It's official. After scent swapping using a toy and a blanket, both cats hate me.

It's official. After scent swapping using a toy and a blanket, both cats hate me.
Interesting reaction! Oddly enough, mine never reacted to the scent swapping. It was only when they could see each other that things got dicey.

Interesting reaction! Oddly enough, mine never reacted to the scent swapping. It was only when they could see each other that things got dicey.
I placed one of his toys near Juniper's litter/food corner. She won't drink from her bowl now.

yup. exactly.

I had random people just showing up for their "appointment" that wasnt in our scheduler.

it was like dyspnea after dyspnea that were emergency fit ins on top of full schedule. Shipped two bad cases out for referral after full workup. I wanted to pull my hair out.

On the upside, despite all of this, I'm still getting out only 2 hrs after my last appointment, AND busy days like this means I get paid well. Can't wait for the production bonus that is coming in soon! No matter how crappy things are, money does make one much happier I've learned.

I fortunately didn't have any "I'm here for my non existing appointment" people today. They would have been shown the door or slapped with some heavy duty fit in fees no matter how angry they got had that been the case.

I had one of those today too. Sooo glad the day is over. Why I had so many very sick emergencies today, I have no idea. Every 20 min block filled the entire day.

Wow. Something in the air, or the moon, or some other juju because I just got slammed all day as well. It was like a litany of all the things you see on ER coming in the door one after another. My techs have officially declared me a **** magnet.

Neighbor on one side had a dead cat in her backyard today... got to ID it as belonging to the older guy on the other side of me. Got a box (moving means I have boxes at least) and put the cat inside. Then called the guy. He was sad about his cat but didn't want to let it show. She (cat) was in renal failure and he was planning to let her go this week. Strange how cats (and dogs) seem to go ahead and go on their own. Sad.

At least I could help I guess.

I feel like I should make him some cornbread. He loves cornbread.

Wow. Something in the air, or the moon, or some other juju because I just got slammed all day as well. It was like a litany of all the things you see on ER coming in the door one after another. My techs have officially declared me a **** magnet.
Yeah the ER was slammed too. The patient I sent over at noon was just being seen at 5pm..... Today was the day all animals decided they wanted extensive medical care

So, my dog has dog-dog aggression and I am very aware of that. I try to take her for walks when I think there is not a lot of other walking their dogs in the neighborhood, cross the street, etc.

Today I had her sit and I was choked up on her leash while I let someone pass on the other side of the street. she started to bark and go crazy, The neighbor saw this and was like "you tried." She was realively passed me when I decided to start walking again when her leash slipped off my wrist and she went for the other dog. I was super apologetic and told her to let me know if she was okay, I was just 100 feet from my house so I offered to put my dogs up and come back to make sure. I don't think she punctured any skin or anything, but now I am super worried about how this neighbor is going to react :(

3 pet appointment with two giant dogs and a cat all in the same room. Got 1 giant scratch across my thigh that turned into a bruise from the one dog. Bit my own lip, HARD, when restraining the other dog for the rectal. (HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? What is wrong with me?!) Stabbed the tip of my index finger with an 18 ga needle that I didn't notice was still stuck in the plastic vacutainer that was completely covered in blood. The only patient that behaved was the cat, and she was purring so loudly that I couldn't get a heart rate and I couldn't find a steady enough pulse on her femoral artery on either side because of her chunky back legs. NAILED IT.

Blaming the fact that I hadn't eaten anything all day except a handful of Wheat Thins 8 hours prior and had been going non-stop all shift long.

3 pet appointment with two giant dogs and a cat all in the same room. Got 1 giant scratch across my thigh that turned into a bruise from the one dog. Bit my own lip, HARD, when restraining the other dog for the rectal. (HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN? What is wrong with me?!) Stabbed the tip of my index finger with an 18 ga needle that I didn't notice was still stuck in the plastic vacutainer that was completely covered in blood. The only patient that behaved was the cat, and she was purring so loudly that I couldn't get a heart rate and I couldn't find a steady enough pulse on her femoral artery on either side because of her chunky back legs. NAILED IT.

Blaming the fact that I hadn't eaten anything all day except a handful of Wheat Thins 8 hours prior and had been going non-stop all shift long.

Rubbing alcohol on a piece of gauze, placed in front of the cat, stops purring 75% of the time in my experience. Sorry you got beat up, that sucks.

Rubbing alcohol on a piece of gauze, placed in front of the cat, stops purring 75% of the time in my experience. Sorry you got beat up, that sucks.

That's what the doctor ended up asking me to do when she was ausculting. I had learned that trick a long time ago but completely forgot about it until she asked me to do it. Tried it again this morning on another kitty who was purring loudly, but it didn't work that time, though luckily it was easy to get a pulse off of him instead. Getting beat up sucks and stabbing yourself really sucks, but it was a good day otherwise, and the client was a really nice lady.

That's what the doctor ended up asking me to do when she was ausculting. I had learned that trick a long time ago but completely forgot about it until she asked me to do it. Tried it again this morning on another kitty who was purring loudly, but it didn't work that time, though luckily it was easy to get a pulse off of him instead. Getting beat up sucks and stabbing yourself really sucks, but it was a good day otherwise, and the client was a really nice lady.

When that fails, I'll run the tap water and bring kitty close to it, which terrifies them and stops the purring. When all else fails, I give them a gentle squeeze on their larynx. You need to know what you're doing with that so that kitty doesn't start gagging though.

Do you ever get to a point in this job where you aren't second guessing every decision? *sigh* You treat the patient, and then get home and think, "Oh crap, maybe I should have done x y and z instead." Does that ever end?

It's after midnight and I want to make a vodka lemon shake-up. But my roommate is asleep and I can't run the blender. :yeahright:

It's after midnight and I want to make a vodka lemon shake-up. But my roommate is asleep and I can't run the blender. :yeahright:
Right?! Wanted to make roll-out cookies last night but it was 1 am -- too late to run my noisy Kitchenaid, too lazy to do it by hand. First world problems.

I have no idea what that is but it sounds amazing and now I want one immediately.

I think this might replace the Moscow Mule as my official cocktail of summer. Thanks for the recipe!
No problem! I'm also totally in love with this website, as it gives you alcohol recipes based on your ingredients.

It's 3:45 and I've just been called a third time tonight. I have no idea why all the emergencies are happening tonight.
ETA; And by the time the dog got to the clinic it was perfectly normal.

Last edited:
For those playing along at home, my Stupid Night has morphed into a Stupid Weekend. Calls at 8PM, 11:15 PM, 3:45 AM, 8:00 AM and 9:30 AM. I've given up trying to get some sleep.

Started the day with my patient getting euthanized. Super sucky. Actually extra sucky cause the owner works in the hospital and now I feel like I'm always going to be associated with his passing.

trying to play catch up all day.

Had an "emergency" diarrhea with one instance of vomiting come in first thing this morning to drop off. I had a doctor's appt at 9 to get to so I came back and we were relatively caught up - had blood and fecal results, etc. It was great. But then....

we hired a new vet and I'm very excited...but I'm the only one that remembers the sign on for the payroll website. So I had to onboard her. We only had 1 appt this morning. We added 4 more. Plus I have to do all the admin things. Like order business cards, get payroll squared away, order meds, and order rx foods. Wouldnt normally be this frustrating, but...

I'm also training a new tech. Who just disregards things then has to fix things later. Like there's a note about a later start date tomorrow. she ignored that and scheduled an 8 am appointment.

Only 5 appts and I've only touched 2 notes...

Totally insignificant rants:

One of the gels I am making leaked. I haven't had a gel leak on me in a long, long while, so I totally didn't even check it till solidifying time was done. I dislike wasted time.

Also, I noticed some doodles on a lab mate's notes, and there are such perfect little stick figure men running about. I hate that my drawing, even stick figures, always comes out looking like mangled broccoli. :rage:

Totally insignificant rants:

One of the gels I am making leaked. I haven't had a gel leak on me in a long, long while, so I totally didn't even check it till solidifying time was done. I dislike wasted time.

Also, I noticed some doodles on a lab mate's notes, and there are such perfect little stick figure men running about. I hate that my drawing, even stick figures, always comes out looking like mangled broccoli. :rage:
just tell people you meant for it to look like broccoli :)