RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It's absurd how much time gets wasted at this school running around trying to find which service has the patient's actual physical record because our computer system is from roughly 1850 and isn't capable of holding an entire record. It's 2015, there has to be a better way.

Same here if they've been to a bunch of services recently. I heard a rumor that we're switching to all digital records soon, so maybe it will be better? I'm personally expecting a giant s*** show when it happens cause I don't think it's supposed to be gradual.

Members don't see this ad.

Same here if they've been to a bunch of services recently. I heard a rumor that we're switching to all digital records soon, so maybe it will be better? I'm personally expecting a giant s*** show when it happens cause I don't think it's supposed to be gradual.
When I went to the ER on Tuesday they were implementing a new digital records system. I hope you guys don't have to deal with a sudden transition like that. It was bad enough being on the patient side of it but the nurses and everyone else looked so frustrated with the whole thing. I'm sure they had to deal with a ton of annoyed patients on top of it too, because it made everything take so long.

ETA: Also my mom almost killed them all because they kept asking me irrelevant questions when I had a headache around a 7/10 on the pain scale

Last edited:
It's absurd how much time gets wasted at this school running around trying to find which service has the patient's actual physical record because our computer system is from roughly 1850 and isn't capable of holding an entire record. It's 2015, there has to be a better way.
a certain physiology professor made the computer system. I don't think they will get rid of it before he retires.

Members don't see this ad :)
I really wish my neighbors would put their dog on a leash so it would stop running at my dog. My dog is leashed in my yard and yours is running loose toward my dog (which does not like other dogs very much)...

Can I have all three?
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1438551964.091427.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
I missed the memo about it pretty much monsooning in the Tampa area for the last three weeks. Some of the roads here are scary flooded!

I missed the memo about it pretty much monsooning in the Tampa area for the last three weeks. Some of the roads here are scary flooded!
yup. surprised my husband made it to work this morning.

While I dearly love and appreciate said physiology professor, that's kind of absurd.
Agreed.

Members don't see this ad :)
If by flooded you mean that you actually now need a boat to manuver all roads, then yes! It's ridiculous. I've been finding out my car my car has leaks, so that's been fun. My awesome (note the dripping sarcasm) apartment complex still runs their sprinklers daily despite the massive amount of rain and local flooding. Such good and intelligent people here.

Not really a rant but today I had my ortho visit. No driving for at least another two weeks. :(

While this gives me time to unpack and get my new place organized, it doesn't exactly make the job search much easier.

If by flooded you mean that you actually now need a boat to manuver all roads, then yes! It's ridiculous. I've been finding out my car my car has leaks, so that's been fun. My awesome (note the dripping sarcasm) apartment complex still runs their sprinklers daily despite the massive amount of rain and local flooding. Such good and intelligent people here.
My car has definitely also been occasionally dripping on me and I have no idea where the drips are coming from.
wet-1332.gif
The forecast looks like it isn't stopping anytime soon, either...

i just assumed this was the rainy season too (because this is what happens in Grenada during the rainy season), but i've been told the amount of rain is excessive even for a rainy season
It is a little more than normal, but really not unexpected. We had less than normal up to the point. Summer is always rainy like this though

It is a little more than normal, but really not unexpected. We had less than normal up to the point. Summer is always rainy like this though
You guys should send a little more rain up my way, I need to practice driving in it. Not too much though. I don't wanna drown.

This isn't a rant, but more of an opportunity to decompress: Had a patient quite literally drop dead during its exam yesterday. The ironic thing about it was that the Dr. had just finishing reviewing her x-ray and was walking towards the exam room to discuss euthanizing. I was with the patient in the back and she just suddenly dropped. Dr. suspected she had tumors on her liver/spleen that spread to her lungs. She was struggling so hard to breathe. :unsure: I've found patients dead, watched a lot of euthanasias, and seen patients not make it through a surgery...but there's something different about a patient just collapsing like that. I've never experienced that before. Of course, I made a fool out of myself by running to find the doctor instead of calling her first....my first though was "If she's not in her office, I'm wasting time by calling there." Live and learn, I guess.

This isn't a rant, but more of an opportunity to decompress: Had a patient quite literally drop dead during its exam yesterday. The ironic thing about it was that the Dr. had just finishing reviewing her x-ray and was walking towards the exam room to discuss euthanizing. I was with the patient in the back and she just suddenly dropped. Dr. suspected she had tumors on her liver/spleen that spread to her lungs. She was struggling so hard to breathe. :unsure: I've found patients dead, watched a lot of euthanasias, and seen patients not make it through a surgery...but there's something different about a patient just collapsing like that. I've never experienced that before. Of course, I made a fool out of myself by running to find the doctor instead of calling her first....my first though was "If she's not in her office, I'm wasting time by calling there." Live and learn, I guess.

Hopefully someone else started compressions immediately (unless you knew ahead of time the owner did not want CPR) when you went for the doctor. If nobody started compressions until the doctor was found - that's a much bigger mistake.

First and most important rule for a patient that drops - check for a heartbeat and start compressions unless you're sure you have heart function. Always always always. The doctor is (way) less critical than compressions. Unless my staff have a person who truly isn't doing anything, they don't send anyone to get me until they've begun compressions, established an airway, and are hooking up monitoring.

Reason? They don't need me to do anything except say "give drugs" and then call the owner, which doesn't happen until that other stuff is done. They certainly don't need me to say "start compressions".

(In your case, it almost definitely wouldn't have mattered or changed the outcome - but you can never really be 100% sure of that.)

Just remember you couldn't have changed anything. Sucks, but they usually die. And having the presence of mind to get help - even if you ran instead of yelled - is a good thing in general.

Hopefully someone else started compressions immediately (unless you knew ahead of time the owner did not want CPR) when you went for the doctor. If nobody started compressions until the doctor was found - that's a much bigger mistake.

First and most important rule for a patient that drops - check for a heartbeat and start compressions unless you're sure you have heart function. Always always always. The doctor is (way) less critical than compressions. Unless my staff have a person who truly isn't doing anything, they don't send anyone to get me until they've begun compressions, established an airway, and are hooking up monitoring.

Reason? They don't need me to do anything except say "give drugs" and then call the owner, which doesn't happen until that other stuff is done. They certainly don't need me to say "start compressions".

(In your case, it almost definitely wouldn't have mattered or changed the outcome - but you can never really be 100% sure of that.)

Just remember you couldn't have changed anything. Sucks, but they usually die. And having the presence of mind to get help - even if you ran instead of yelled - is a good thing in general.
except perhaps putting the patient on O2 if they were having problems breathing.

Reactions: 1 users

I didn't even think to start compressions....I know when the tech who was within yelling distance scrambled for drugs, the doctor came back and told her that she wasn't going to attempt to revive the dog. She said the dog was in v-tach, not sure if that makes any difference. Would you always start compressions, even for a dog that the doctor was about to euthanize?

I didn't even think to start compressions....I know when the tech who was within yelling distance scrambled for drugs, the doctor came back and told her that she wasn't going to attempt to revive the dog. She said the dog was in v-tach, not sure if that makes any difference. Would you always start compressions, even for a dog that the doctor was about to euthanize?
until you know that she's going to euthanize? yes

Reactions: 2 users

I would, yes. If you start playing that game of "why do X, we're going to euthanize anyway" then some day it will bite you in the ass when the owner changes their mind last minute. That's why we scrub the catheter site, for instance. Who cares about infection in a dog you're going to euthanize in 5 minutes, right? But what if the owner changes their mind.

I think reasonable people could disagree, but my approach is to perform CPR until the owner says stop, unless they've already told me ahead of time not to do it. It's way easier to stop it than to wish you had started it. There are some obvious common sense exceptions. If they die as you're just about to inject euthasol .... Sure ..... You don't start CPR. You go ahead and give the euthasol. But you know what I mean.

In regard to v-tach ... That's a doctor decision, and drugs would be indicated to control it. But as a bystander or tech - you should start compressions if you can't discern heart function. Better to do compressions with a functioning heart than to not do them with a dead heart. When in doubt, compress.

Last edited:
except perhaps putting the patient on O2 if they were having problems breathing.

Except oxygen to what? Not sure I understand.

Compressions first always. O2 isn't a "first few seconds" need, and it gets addressed as soon as they are intubated.

Or did you mean prior to arrest? Then yeah - oxygen for anything you even remotely suspect might be struggling. :) Half my patients get oxygen for at least the first few minutes until I look at them because my techs are paranoid. I'm mildly suspicious they'd give oxygen to a patient on fire.

Last night we had owners request CPR for their dog that had died 45 minutes earlier. Didn't go well.

the real lesson here: do always get code status on animals with dyspnea first thing.

Amen. We have a critical care form than anything that triages as unstable gets signed authorizing whatever dx and tx I feel are necessary up to a certain limit.... Or specifically indicating no resuscitation. I love that form.

Except oxygen to what? Not sure I understand.

Compressions first always. O2 isn't a "first few seconds" need, and it gets addressed as soon as they are intubated.

Or did you mean prior to arrest? Then yeah - oxygen for anything you even remotely suspect might be struggling. :) Half my patients get oxygen for at least the first few minutes until I look at them because my techs are paranoid. I'm mildly suspicious they'd give oxygen to a patient on fire.

Last night we had owners request CPR for their dog that had died 45 minutes earlier. Didn't go well.
Putting the dog on O2 if having issues breathing at any point before the collapse. Even if just doing rads, I would have on O2. She asked if there was anything they could have done. O2 while waiting for rads interpretation could have helped

I was going to ask why the dog wasn't on O2 if he was having so much trouble breathing.

Sorry you went through that pinkpuppy. There's probably nothing you in particular could have done.
Yeah...I couldn't tell you why we didn't have the dog on O2 tbh. Just a crappy situation with too few staff members capable of acting in an emergency I guess.

Yeah...I couldn't tell you why we didn't have the dog on O2 tbh. Just a crappy situation with too few staff members capable of acting in an emergency I guess.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably because people operated under the "it's going to be euthanized anyway" thing. It's easy to fall into that. Everyone does sometimes. But for an animal with respiratory problems, it's still good to provide oxygen until they are euthanized, just as a comfort measure.

If I had to guess, I'd say probably because people operated under the "it's going to be euthanized anyway" thing. It's easy to fall into that. Everyone does sometimes. But for an animal with respiratory problems, it's still good to provide oxygen until they are euthanized, just as a comfort measure.
Well, tbh, I didn't know the doctor was recommending euthanasia. I only knew after the fact when I asked if she was surprised that had happened. I guess the problem is that had I done compressions, put the animal on O2, whatever, I'd be worried about hearing "Did I tell you to do any of that?" from the doctor.

Well, tbh, I didn't know the doctor was recommending euthanasia. I only knew after the fact when I asked if she was surprised that had happened. I guess the problem is that had I done compressions, put the animal on O2, whatever, I'd be worried about hearing "Did I tell you to do any of that?" from the doctor.

I can understand feeling that way. But I personally would never criticize my staff for starting CPR without me so long as they checked for heart function first. If I were to criticize them, it inevitably would delay appropriate CPR the next time down the road, and since one of the most important factors in the success of CPR is how fast you start it ...... I'd be shooting myself in the foot to criticize my staff. If I felt it had been unwarranted, I would address it with positive training, not negative feedback. Hopefully your doctor would feel similarly!

Lost a kitten...A KITTEN...under anesthesia today. And I had a big role in it (didn't recognize that it had arrested until the dr had come in and told us). RIP <3

And my surgical skills are getting worse, not better (made the same mistake today that I made at the wayyy beginning of this rotation despite having done it a billion times since without incident). I just want to push papers all day :(

badly sprained my ankle. I had surgery on the other ankle 2 weeks ago and can't put weight on it yet. so walking isn't happening.

so disappointed in myself

badly sprained my ankle. I had surgery on the other ankle 2 weeks ago and can't put weight on it yet. so walking isn't happening.

so disappointed in myself

Oh No Dy!! I hope you get back on your feet soon!

Well, now I'm depressed. I guess people are just a constant source of disappointment. Currently, I can't seem to catch a damn break.

Lost a kitten...A KITTEN...under anesthesia today. And I had a big role in it (didn't recognize that it had arrested until the dr had come in and told us). RIP <3

And my surgical skills are getting worse, not better (made the same mistake today that I made at the wayyy beginning of this rotation despite having done it a billion times since without incident). I just want to push papers all day :(

i just want to acknowledge that that absolutely sucks and I hope you're doing OK. :( I bet you're doing way better at surgery than you think and shouldn't beat yourself up (easier said than done, I know).

i just want to acknowledge that that absolutely sucks and I hope you're doing OK. :( I bet you're doing way better at surgery than you think and shouldn't beat yourself up (easier said than done, I know).
I wish it were so :( Apparently I sucked so much they want me to come for another week. There goes any hopes I have of an internship. My life is officially over. Might as well just drop out now :( :( :(

I wish it were so :( Apparently I sucked so much they want me to come for another week. There goes any hopes I have of an internship. My life is officially over. Might as well just drop out now :( :( :(
your life is not over. Mistakes happen. You can recover from this but you have to want it.

Stop. Just stop. Don't go down that path. This rotation does not decide your future. It is one of many. PM if you want to talk (here or fb).

Totally not true. I know someone who failed a rotation as well as had to repeat a year of vet school because they failed 2 classes who got an internship (private). It's possible. We all make mistakes, it's human nature. But you are still going to be an awesome vet. Learn from your mistakes and be better next time.

That is not true! I bet you have great letters from other professors and that no one will even know they wanted you for another week, Or even ask questions about it. Don't worry. Just take a deep breath and do your best. I'm always available to chat if you need an ear to listen. Hang in there friend!!

Patience is not my strong suit when it comes to waiting to hear back about job interviews and applications. Don't they know I got rent to pay?
Plus my apartment took my pre-payment for September rent as my "pet fees" even though I've said that I'm not bringing my cat until I have money to pay for her. :yeahright: