RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am on call Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day. For ****s sake. Sure, lets give it to the newbie who has NO FAMILY within a 400km radius so she spends Christmas alone by herself, rather then one of the other doctors who have family nearby. FML.

Members don't see this ad.

I am on call Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and Boxing Day. For ****s sake. Sure, lets give it to the newbie who has NO FAMILY within a 400km radius so she spends Christmas alone by herself, rather then one of the other doctors who have family nearby. FML.

:( Would your family come to you? Not that it makes it any better if you're having to constantly answer the phone but at least you wouldn't be alone.

:( That's really rough.

Members don't see this ad :)
This is a pretty minor rant, but if I get into vet school this year (at my alma mater), I'm going to push my way into a leadership role for a club that I was part of in grad school (it was a dual grad student/vet student club). I found out this past weekend that the club is still using materials I created in 2011 and 2012. While that might be fine for some materials, most of the things I created were not made to stand the test of time, especially since they concern powers and jurisdictions of food safety regulatory authorities (i.e. things that do change somewhat frequently). I'm not really happy about that and I don't like the thought that something I made is being used to potentially misinform the public. So, in the future, I hope to change that... and, like, offer new ideas so they don't use the same old **** year after year. That's just lazy to me. Plan ahead, put some work into it, and at least unveil a new topic every year.

My awesome idea: Convert one of the halls during this public event into a bat cave (Halloween decorations, y'all?) and give presentations on bat-associated zoonoses. How fun would that be? There are so many different diseases you could talk about. Have the school purchase little flashlights with their name on it to give out to people who walk through the cave. Turn the lights out (well most of them) and make the whole thing into a kind of fun house. I think that would be awesome and equal parts entertainment and education.

Also, veterinary entomology anyone? I would so devote some time to making a giant tick or mosquito to draw in the public to learn about arthropod-borne diseases.

Reactions: 1 user
We should throw you a virtual Christmas party! Sorry you got stuck with all of those days :(

I'm on the day after thanksgiving, Christmas and the day after Christmas, and the day after New Years. Last year worked thanksgiving day and Christmas Eve, plus New Year's Eve. My family is all about 5 hours away. So yeah, feel your pain. But I'm always sure to remind my boss of that when I request st pattys day and 4th of July and Labor Day off!

Let's see....my first year out I worked Black Friday and the weekend after, Christmas Eve and the week after, New year's eve and day, 4th of July, and labor day. Because I was new and the other vet was making the schedule. The med director didn't care

:( Would your family come to you? Not that it makes it any better if you're having to constantly answer the phone but at least you wouldn't be alone.
Not likely, because coming to me means my sister is alone, and that's not fair to her either. I do have a few days off for New Years, so Christmas might just be delayed a week, but it's still going to suck being alone on the day.

I'm on the day after thanksgiving, Christmas and the day after Christmas, and the day after New Years. Last year worked thanksgiving day and Christmas Eve, plus New Year's Eve. My family is all about 5 hours away. So yeah, feel your pain. But I'm always sure to remind my boss of that when I request st pattys day and 4th of July and Labor Day off!

Let's see....my first year out I worked Black Friday and the weekend after, Christmas Eve and the week after, New year's eve and day, 4th of July, and labor day. Because I was new and the other vet was making the schedule. The med director didn't care
Yeah I know I'm not alone in this and someone has to work it. But I'm still miffed.

This is a pretty minor rant, but if I get into vet school this year (at my alma mater), I'm going to push my way into a leadership role for a club that I was part of in grad school (it was a dual grad student/vet student club). I found out this past weekend that the club is still using materials I created in 2011 and 2012. While that might be fine for some materials, most of the things I created were not made to stand the test of time, especially since they concern powers and jurisdictions of food safety regulatory authorities (i.e. things that do change somewhat frequently). I'm not really happy about that and I don't like the thought that something I made is being used to potentially misinform the public. So, in the future, I hope to change that... and, like, offer new ideas so they don't use the same old **** year after year. That's just lazy to me. Plan ahead, put some work into it, and at least unveil a new topic every year.
I'm assuming this was at open house? I wasn't able to go this year. Did you mention anything to the people in that club? I'm sure if they were aware that someone would put the work in to update the info. I can see how that's frustrating though.

Last year (with 12 interns, most of whom got 2-3 holidays off), I worked (as in scheduled shifts) July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas eve and Christmas, New Year's eve and New Years day. Memorial day was my one holiday off. If you're going to only give me one, at least make it a major holiday, c'mon.

This month it looks like I may be deciding between paying tuition/bills/rent and eating. =/ Not to mention I have a few things that have decided to break recently that need to be replaced

This month it looks like I may be deciding between paying tuition/bills/rent and eating. =/ Not to mention I have a few things that have decided to break recently that need to be replaced
Food stamps?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should chat with your student services, if you haven't already. I know we can get smaller short term loans against our financial aid - almost had to do so a couple years back when some of my paperwork was lost and my money took forever.

You should chat with your student services, if you haven't already. I know we can get smaller short term loans against our financial aid - almost had to do so a couple years back when some of my paperwork was lost and my money took forever.

I'm going to try calling financial services tomorrow and send an email to someone in student affairs to just update them of the situation. She's already aware that I'm in a bind, but just let her know that I've now applied for the PLUS loan but it doesn't look like it's going to come through before I have to make the payment.

Yeah. I worked 4th of July, Labor Day plus the day before and have Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, day after Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day..... I'm pretty thrilled. :p

Yeah. I worked 4th of July, Labor Day plus the day before and have Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, day after Christmas, New Year's Eve, New Year's Day..... I'm pretty thrilled. :p
just remember you wont be lowest on the totem pole forever.

I gave my associate thanksgiving and x'mas off. I'm getting New year's. I think she's pretty happy.

I'm going to try calling financial services tomorrow and send an email to someone in student affairs to just update them of the situation. She's already aware that I'm in a bind, but just let her know that I've now applied for the PLUS loan but it doesn't look like it's going to come through before I have to make the payment.
Does your school have a campus food bank?

Just so you know, that post was from 5 years ago

Whoops! I'm not really fluent with this app. And it popped up as being new haha. It's the thought that counts, right?

Whoops! I'm not really fluent with this app. And it popped up as being new haha. It's the thought that counts, right?
No worries, just figured I would let you know. The thread itself probably popped up as new since people post here frequently,and it may have taken you to the first post if you haven't looked at this thread before.

Eh, I'm sure your views will change after several years and you'd already paid your dues.

If it makes you feel any better, I think I've spent Christmas or New Years with family maybe 4 out of the past 10 years. I've just kinda sucked it up and will use that as reason to take longer chunks of time off to spend quality time with family when it's convenient for everyone. I guess it doesn't bug me as much, as it's something my whole family's come to expect having members littered around the globe. Outside of immediate family member deaths, I can't even make it to funerals. Forget weddings.

I'm assuming this was at open house? I wasn't able to go this year. Did you mention anything to the people in that club? I'm sure if they were aware that someone would put the work in to update the info. I can see how that's frustrating though.

Yes. I did make a general comment the last year I was a full dues paying member and the president shrugged it off, like, "we'll get around to it." I even offered to work with people to make some new posters and materials months in advance (when it was held in the spring) to no avail. Now that I'm no longer a student, it's really unlikely that I'll have any say in their activities.

I'm sure moving it to September probably makes certain planning aspects more difficult for student-run activities since people have only been back in school for a couple of weeks. Although that's a recent change and even as of the last spring when I helped with set up (I believe that was April or May of 2014, I wasn't even technically a member at that point) it seemed like people had just pulled all the materials out the night before open house.

just remember you wont be lowest on the totem pole forever.

I gave my associate thanksgiving and x'mas off. I'm getting New year's. I think she's pretty happy.

Sadly, it's not a totem pole issue. It's the schedule the doc I replaced - who wasn't lowest on the pole - just happened to have. Just bad scheduling luck. Ah well!

Had a really really frustrating client as my last appointment of the day. some people just aren't happy, no matter what. Even when you offer them exactly what they wanted ("just the pill, nothing else") they still get angry because you tell them they can try it but it's not going to fix the underlying problem.
And now it's my afternoon off and I'm cranky because it was otherwise an awesome day filled with some of my favorite pets and clients (including one who sent me the sweetest card last month for saving puppy's life). Hopefully I'll be able to focus on the good once I make it through this glass of wine...

Eventually people will decide that I don't have cooties and it's okay to see me sometimes even if they aren't desperate on the normal doctor's day off.

Anyone else have some troubles getting clients to see you when there is a long time favorite vet?

I come home from a long day of first-yearing, and I go to scoop out the litterbox like I always do, like a good cat mom. Like a cat mom who is proud of having two great cats. What do I find?

The bag of treats, shredded.

:yeahright:

I come home from a long day of first-yearing, and I go to scoop out the litterbox like I always do, like a good cat mom. Like a cat mom who is proud of having two great cats. What do I find?

This is why at my house all treats are in a drawer and all food bags are on a very high shelf ;)

This is why at my house all treats are in a drawer and all food bags are on a very high shelf ;)
They were on a high shelf! The highest on my bookshelf, actually. That's how I know my overweight cat wasn't the one who got them down :p The weird thing is that they barely ate the treats. I may have walked in the door just as they broke it open because the bag was still covered in slobber haha

They were on a high shelf! The highest on my bookshelf, actually. That's how I know my overweight cat wasn't the one who got them down :p The weird thing is that they barely ate the treats. I may have walked in the door just as they broke it open because the bag was still covered in slobber haha
Not high enough! :p those bags do tend to take a bit of work to get into. One of ours has a nice, ragged hole in the bottom from the pre-drawer days.

Not high enough! :p those bags do tend to take a bit of work to get into. One of ours has a nice, ragged hole in the bottom from the pre-drawer days.
Yeah it was the foil kind, and whoever did it (I'm looking at you, Panda) really ripped into it. I'm sure my big orange pumpkin cat was more than happy to join in, though.

This must have been what my mom felt like anytime she caught me sneaking something unhealthy and delicious haha

Of all the places to hide their stolen goods, why did they choose the litter box, the only place you would absolutely find the treats? Cat logic eludes me.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah it was the foil kind, and whoever did it (I'm looking at you, Panda) really ripped into it. I'm sure my big orange pumpkin cat was more than happy to join in, though.

This must have been what my mom felt like anytime she caught me sneaking something unhealthy and delicious haha
At least you didn't hide your contraband in the toilet though :laugh:

Of all the places to hide their stolen goods, why did they choose the litter box, the only place you would absolutely find the treats? Cat logic eludes me.
My cats aren't good at being bad...

Anyone else have some troubles getting clients to see you when there is a long time favorite vet?
Typically our receptionists are pretty good about talking me up to clients. And I'm starting to even have clients of my own now. Though I did have a client tell reception that she didn't want me to treat her cat - I can only assume it was because I took the cat into the treatment area to remove a bandage rather than tie up an exam room when we were busy. Whatevs. Frankly if she's that fussy I'm more then happy to let someone else deal with her.

They are trying to reward you, for being a good cat servant.

Eventually people will decide that I don't have cooties and it's okay to see me sometimes even if they aren't desperate on the normal doctor's day off.

Is it a place that used to be a single doctor practice? That can be really hard.

I work where there are 2 doctors who have been at the place for 17+ years, so there are definitely devoted clientele who only want to see them. But we're also a busy 4-5 doctor practice, so it's not bad and there's more than enough clients to go around. And the older vets are really good about promoting me to their clients when there are sick patients that need continued care while they are off. Starting out, I saw a ton of sick/emergency visits since I had more open slots, and that has in half a year turned into my own clientele! When my schedule isn't booked solid (a very slow day for me is 14 appointments, usually it's more along 20-25), I made quite the effort to follow up on sick cases, the next day, a week out, and even a month out for the ones that weren't quite resolved. That really won over a lot of clients.

Win them over when they're desperate, or with new clients and it won't be long before you're no longer the "not dr.boss." And dr.boss should be promoting you to the clientele as a great doctor, and not treating you as his mentee in front of them.

Left my 1.5 year old out of the kennel today while in class and he chewed up my macbook pro charger cord (he is either normally in his kennel or left loose in my room and it hasn't happened before). Guess he looses those freedom privlages for a while and will teach me to not leave my charger on the bed... Good thing I have a spare until I can go to Best Buy later tonight.

Left my 1.5 year old out of the kennel today while in class and he chewed up my macbook pro charger cord (he is either normally in his kennel or left loose in my room and it hasn't happened before). Guess he looses those freedom privlages for a while and will teach me to not leave my charger on the bed... Good thing I have a spare until I can go to Best Buy later tonight.

I thought you were talking about a human child at first, since it just said "1.5 year old". It makes this hilarious if it were a human child. ;)

I thought you were talking about a human child at first, since it just said "1.5 year old". It makes this hilarious if it were a human child. ;)

Omg, never did that cross my mind since I separate myself as far as possible away from children. That would be quite hilarious. My doggie boys are my furkids, anyway ;)

Just finished my first test in Physics II and it did NOT go well. Why do I even need to learn this stuff anyway?!

All the time. Never let them out. They just spread disease.
I think we should just make the first move and officially suggest we start treating children like calves. We could put down the nice straw and everything.

All the time. Never let them out. They just spread disease.
The first doctor and tech I worked with "raised their children in the clinic kennels."

New clinic, years later: I had to bring my sick kiddo to work with me when I got called in and let her nap in a giant kennel in the treatment area (bigger than her crib people) and got a lot of funny looks that slowly turned to smiles and comments of, "I'm totally bringing my kid to work and locking him in a kennel when I grow up!"

It's a thing.;)

Reactions: 1 users
My sister's dog is having some issues and my sister keeps messaging me after vet visits with questions which are all essentially 'do I really have to do this medication/treatment the dr prescribed??' I think she wants me to say 'that sounds ridiculous, you don't have to do any of that', which isn't going to happen >:| I basically have to keep saying 'follow your vet's recommendations and if you have any questions, you should speak to your vet'. Hopefully she's actually contacting her vet, or at least just giving whatever meds as prescribed :/ i don't want to visit and find she's done no treatment and been ranting at her husband or her vet that her vet student sibling is supposedly saying all the treatment is bs. :rage: