RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welcome to my life :rolleyes: I love my school, I love our PBL curriculum but it gets really frustrating when you realize how much time you spend in class and then you have to go home and not only look up the material for that night but you also need to find time to review for exams. Good thing I'm on clinics now!
Yeah! It reminds me of taking online biochem in undergrad. I'd come home from being in class all day, then remember I still had new lectures to sit through each night. Ugh. 3 more weeks until "rotation vacation" as they call it here. Not sure it will be much of a vacation..

Members don't see this ad.

Step 1: Get a drop-dead gorgeous friend of yours that your ex doesn't know to pose in a very intimate picture with you. You know, smiling at each other nose-to-nose.

Step 2: Post on FB.

Step 3: Laugh at the jerk who dumped you via a text message.

Dammit, I knew I should have talked him into creating a Facebook. How did I not foresee all the missed opportunities for revenge??

Thanks for all the thoughts. I know I shouldn't let it get to me but.... Yeah. Easier said than done. Doesn't help that I'm covering for my boss half this week so don't even have a free night for girls night out until next weekend!

Members don't see this ad :)
One of our assignments for our practice management class is making a budget and emailing it to the professor. I just spent the last 2.5 hours making a budget from January 2017-February 2018, including things like traveling for rotations, loan repayments, and potential intern salary. I don't know how I'm going to afford rent if I don't get an internship where I can live with my parents... and now I'm realizing I spent too much time on my budget and should have been studying for exams.

Watching people on my Facebook feed put their babies next to their visibly uncomfortable dogs to take pictures is interesting.... like a train wreck is interesting. Titling their pictures things like, "Fluffy proving the nanny dog theory." I always want to share my personal anecdote with these people about a young woman I grew up with who didn't think twice about leaving her newborn unattended with her sweet, loving dog. The story doesn't end well for the baby or the dog.

I have a itty bitty piece of glass stuck in my finger tip and it's been there for over 2 weeks. Judging by the itty bitty piece of glass that is still stuck in my heel after 4 years (or more?), I'm guessing this one isn't going to come out either, except due to the higher concentration of nerves and how often I use that finger (right index) it's a lot more irritating. Obviously I can't see either piece of glass, or I'd be more likely to be able to remove them.

I have a itty bitty piece of glass stuck in my finger tip and it's been there for over 2 weeks. Judging by the itty bitty piece of glass that is still stuck in my heel after 4 years (or more?), I'm guessing this one isn't going to come out either, except due to the higher concentration of nerves and how often I use that finger (right index) it's a lot more irritating. Obviously I can't see either piece of glass, or I'd be more likely to be able to remove them.
How deep is it? A friend of mine was able to remove a hair splinter by looking at her finger under a microscope. That won't help you much if it's buried pretty deeply, though :(

Not quite the same but I had a piece of bright blue fiber glass stuck in my knuckle for about 6 months a long time ago and it eventually worked itself up and fell out one day. Hopefully you're able to get that out soon, that would be so annoying!

I had a ball of glass stuck in my palm for years (10+). It apparently dissolved or got broken down somehow because it slowly got smaller and smaller and then wasn't there.
The last glass slivers I had, unfortunately, took about a month to work it's way out of my hand and 2-3 months to work out of my foot.

We're having a not overly busy but somehow still hectic day at the clinic. For whatever reason, everything is taking 3 times as long as it should. Dogs in for nail trims are being jerks. My blocked cat reblocked and I had to put a u-cath in him again (including doing laser therapy on his poor penis to get the swelling down enough to get the second catheter in) and his IV catheter started acting up, so that had to be sorted out. Ultrasound isn't working, bad connection with the power cord. We're fully staffed and somehow it still doesn't seem like enough.

Twice this week I've gotten vague mass e-mails about not being considered for some job. No job number. No job title. I've applied to multiple concurrent job listings at these places and I have no idea which position they're talking about. Is it too difficult to take two seconds to be more descriptive? Honestly, when I see such casual unprofessional laziness from a company's HR, I really just want to cross them off the list permanently and actively encourage other people to do the same. How you interact with prospective employees matters.

I just got back from a CV/interview talk given by a middle aged male DVM. What advice was given to the women in the crowd? "Make sure no one can see your figure. You want them to be able to focus on you, nothing else." It wasn't "Don't wear low cut tops, short skirts, etc." That was brought up, too, but the presenter literally said to hide your figure. The two imply different things to me.

:mad::mad::mad:

I understand that one should dress appropriately (which is still 99% of the time directed at only women, and I've seen plenty of guys dress inappropriately at interviews), but to tell me that I better make sure I don't distract my interviews because my body is structured differently? Come on.

Reactions: 1 users
I just got back from a CV/interview talk given by a middle aged male DVM. What advice was given to the women in the crowd? "Make sure no one can see your figure. You want them to be able to focus on you, nothing else." It wasn't "Don't wear low cut tops, short skirts, etc." That was brought up, too, but the presenter literally said to hide your figure. The two imply different things to me.

:mad::mad::mad:

I understand that one should dress appropriately (which is still 99% of the time directed at only women, and I've seen plenty of guys dress inappropriately at interviews), but to tell me that I better make sure I don't distract my interviews because my body is structured differently? Come on.
Frankly, I don't want to work for someone who gets that easily distracted by the fact that I'm a woman. Cause I generally don't think 13 year olds should be running a vet practice, and adults should know better.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Frankly, I don't want to work for someone who gets that easily distracted by the fact that I'm a woman. Cause I generally don't think 13 year olds should be running a vet practice, and adults should know better.
:highfive:

Cause I generally don't think 13 year olds should be running a vet practice, and adults should know better.

Actually, a 13 year old boy would probably be less sexist and less misogynistic in the workplace than many middle-aged men (and women).

Actually, a 13 year old boy would probably be less sexist and less misogynistic in the workplace than many middle-aged men (and women).
Actually, there was a middle aged woman there who echoed the sentiment. I was pretty infuriated, but it wasn't the time/place to argue over it. He even went into a tangent on how you never know who works in the clinic, and that the older male vet might have his wife working at the clinic, and she might say "Well, I don't want that girl working around my husband because I don't like her choice of outfit!" Sorry, but if your wife is that crazy, I'd choose not to work there. He also said we should try to look our best/well-groomed for interviews, then proceeded to show a slide with what he clearly considered an unattractive woman as an example of what not to do. What a joke. Coming from a massive company's rep, it's pretty disappointing. How has no one talked to him about this before?

Sometimes older women can be more vicious. Back in 2009, I was an intern with the USDA and had to attend an orientation, most of which was about professional etiquette and dress. The woman conducting it marched in a group of people from the mail room and had the room of 50+ interns "critique" the group on their clothing. It was disgusting. Then, this woman started scanning the group looking for wardrobe infractions. She looked at me and said loud enough for everyone to hear, "I like your sweater but your shirt is almost inappropriate."

Almost inappropriate.

Sometimes older women can be more vicious. Back in 2009, I was an intern with the USDA and had to attend an orientation, most of which was about professional etiquette and dress. The woman conducting it marched in a group of people from the mail room and had the room of 50+ interns "critique" the group on their clothing. It was disgusting. Then, this woman started scanning the group looking for wardrobe infractions. She looked at me and said loud enough for everyone to hear, "I like your sweater but your shirt is almost inappropriate."

Almost inappropriate.

Working in retail, the worst customers were middle aged women.

Wish my a/c unit would actually run at night so that I can sleep. I feel like it's just reading the outside temp so it always kicks off right away. And I can't open my windows cause its raining and even if I do I somehow have the only room in the house that doesn't get cold.

What is even the freaking point of paying an extra $1000/semester for a private room if the people across the hall are going to have parties and talk so loud that their voices penetrate several walls and two doors? :yeahright:

Ugh. Undergrads. I would like to sleep, thank you.

Thanks wind for knocking a limb off my patio tree. Of course I'll have to wait til morning to see the full extent of the damage, but it definitely looks like one of the two main trunk pieces snapped over. I wonder how long it will take my landlord to clean it up.

I understand that this will really benefit Arizona ISer's given that MWU is expensive as heck, but it's so frustrating that schools keep opening despite how the job market is looking for new graduates. We don't need more seats, AVMA. Or am I just crazy? :(

Accreditation meeting is set for January: http://vmsp.cals.arizona.edu/

Reactions: 1 users
Me trying to write my first case analysis and trying to understand adrenal/pituitary things: :bang:

I understand that this will really benefit Arizona ISer's given that MWU is expensive as heck, but it's so frustrating that schools keep opening despite how the job market is looking for new graduates. We don't need more seats, AVMA. Or am I just crazy? :(

Eww 11 semesters?

Looks like I may be heading to the ER again with my daughter. I hate sleep apnea!

So students are in school all year round to get that equivalent semester time?
Does that means more loans over the course of four years to support summer enrollment?
No summer jobs or internships?

Does that means more loans over the course of four years to support summer enrollment?
Yep it says year round course... I personally think our summers (8 weeks) is short enough as it is, I honestly can't even fathom going year round... That's a recipe for burnout imo.

I was curious about the loan thing too, though I'm sure they will make them pay extra for the summer enrollment...

Reactions: 1 user
Taken from the FAQ. Am I reading this correctly? You have to be accepted into VMD1 phase and then take classes to be eligible for VMD2-4 phase...and the classes for VMD1 are kind of odd to me (no anatomy, histology?). Then you have to interview and such for VMD2-4? So confusing.

"Year 1 (VMD1): The class requirements are two semesters each of college English (6 hours), college chemistry (lecture and laboratory, 8 hours) and college biology (lecture and laboratory, 8 hours), and one semester of college algebra (3 hours). Total of 25 hours. A combined minimum GPA of 3.0 in these prerequisites is required for admission. Students can acquire these prerequisite courses from high school as AP courses, through Arizona's community colleges, the UA and other universities.

Years 2-4 (VMD2-4): Admission to VMD2-4 is restricted to students who are enrolled in or have successfully completed the classes in VMD1. Selection from Phase 1 is based on GPA class ranking, Behavioral Event Interviews and Multiple Mini Interviews."

The site also says that students will graduate more quickly...How much more quickly? 3 years? I have many professors that went through a 3-year program way back in the day and they all say they wouldn't wish that on any of us.

"Year 1 (VMD1): The class requirements are two semesters each of college English (6 hours), college chemistry (lecture and laboratory, 8 hours) and college biology (lecture and laboratory, 8 hours), and one semester of college algebra (3 hours). Total of 25 hours. A combined minimum GPA of 3.0 in these prerequisites is required for admission. Students can acquire these prerequisite courses from high school as AP courses, through Arizona's community colleges, the UA and other universities.

Years 2-4 (VMD2-4): Admission to VMD2-4 is restricted to students who are enrolled in or have successfully completed the classes in VMD1. Selection from Phase 1 is based on GPA class ranking, Behavioral Event Interviews and Multiple Mini Interviews."
From the sounds of it, VMD1 is the usual pre-requisites (except pared down) and then VMD2-4 is "vet school". This would also explain the year-round schooling.

Taken from the FAQ. Am I reading this correctly? You have to be accepted into VMD1 phase and then take classes to be eligible for VMD2-4 phase...and the classes for VMD1 are kind of odd to me (no anatomy, histology?). Then you have to interview and such for VMD2-4? So confusing.

The site also says that students will graduate more quickly...How much more quickly? 3 years? I have many professors that went through a 3-year program way back in the day and they all say they wouldn't wish that on any of us.
Am I the only one that would think that this could create an extremely competitive and possible cut-throat environment for those in VMD-1 (and possibly beyond?) since you're not technically accepted until VMD-2?

I guess it's an interesting way of doing it for sure..

I just thought of something else- that would really stink for those who don't get accepted to VMD-2 since they would probably have to go BACK to undergrad and fullfill other pre-reqs in order to be accepted at other schools...

I know my federal loans aren't supposed to cover summer (although most of us stretch them to do so), so... how are they going to be paying for summer enrollment?

I know my federal loans aren't supposed to cover summer (although most of us stretch them to do so), so... how are they going to be paying for summer enrollment?
Isn't there a provision for summer studies? (Honest question, I have no idea. I know my Canadian loans gave me an additional disbursement to cover the summer last year since AVC's fourth year starts in May and runs until April)

Isn't there a provision for summer studies? (Honest question, I have no idea. I know my Canadian loans gave me an additional disbursement to cover the summer last year since AVC's fourth year starts in May and runs until April)
I'm going to say no, but I'm honestly not sure about that. Our fourth year can start as early as June and run until May and I haven't heard anything about that, but that doesn't mean it's not an option!

My school charges for the summer semester between 3rd and 4th year (clinics) and I received federal loans to cover it.

I actually go to UA now as an undergrad. I love my school for undergrad, but you couldn't pay me to go there for DVM. They come into our classes all the time to talk to us about the "progress" they are making, and honestly it sounds like a complete and utter mess. It's extremely hard as an OOS kid to get in, so yes having IS would be nice... but not with how they are planning it to be.

Extended family drama: I have a much older female cousin (she's in her 40's) who likes to ask for weird favors. Unfortunately, I made the mistake a few years ago to accept her friend request on Facebook so now every once in awhile she'll send me a strange cryptic message. Yesterday she wanted me to have my father contact her father (my uncle) and tell him that she couldn't answer the phone "right now." Of course, on the off chance it might be an emergency, I called my father but I didn't get this message until five or six hours after she sent it since I'm not on FB 24/7. It's just weird and, as I and my father suspect, she's probably just being dramatic and having arguments with her father.... like little girl I'm-only-talking-to-you-through-other-people type arguments. She's done that in the past.

I don't appreciate being dragged into that kind of crap.

Ugh, made a B on my first physicist test. I've never had physics or trig before, so it's great that I have a very high B right now, but it's just frustrating because I thought I did really, really well. Especially since everyone else in the class seemed to do really well. There was a lot of "OMG! Look what IIIIIII MADE! There's a sticker on my paper!" I'm also worried about the class only getting harder. :(

On the brighter side, the professor put a really nice note on my test telling me I did great and to not let a few mistakes discourage me from getting an A.

Ugh, made a B on my first physicist test. I've never had physics or trig before, so it's great that I have a very high B right now, but it's just frustrating because I thought I did really, really well. Especially since everyone else in the class seemed to do really well. There was a lot of "OMG! Look what IIIIIII MADE! There's a sticker on my paper!" I'm also worried about the class only getting harder. :(

On the brighter side, the professor put a really nice note on my test telling me I did great and to not let a few mistakes discourage me from getting an A.
Don't let the buttheads who flaunt grades get you down. Most of the time, they do it to intentionally get under everyone's skin as a form of competition. A lot of kids would love to get a B on a physics exam! If you ask me, a B is a good grade.

This picture came across my FB feed today:
nc-M5pe38sM.jpg

The page that posted it had a caption that said 'This is the truth about movies.' Or something like that. I am regularly astounded at what crocks of crap the general public will fall for. Yes, the lion roaring we see at the beginning of some movies was most certainly strapped to a table and hooked up to fluids.
Unphotoshopped version that took me five seconds to find:
th

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't let the buttheads who flaunt grades get you down. Most of the time, they do it to intentionally get under everyone's skin as a form of competition. A lot of kids would love to get a B on a physics exam! If you ask me, a B is a good grade.

This picture came across my FB feed today:
nc-M5pe38sM.jpg

The page that posted it had a caption that said 'This is the truth about movies.' Or something like that. I am regularly astounded at what crocks of crap the general public will fall for. Yes, the lion roaring we see at the beginning of some movies was most certainly strapped to a table and hooked up to fluids.
th

That picture. Omg I'm dying laughing. Did people really believe that?

th

Pretty sure anesthetized lions aren't going to be roaring either...

Reactions: 3 users
^I choose to believe that is a parody. Because the idea of anyone taking it seriously would make my head explode.
Luckily, most of the comments on the post were calling it out as fake. However, the person on my FB that shared it definitely believed it....