RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Feeling sad... I was at the wildlife center feeding owls just now. I was just about to leave and had already locked up, and on my way out I saw a car at the drop off building. I went in and there was a hysterical woman with a pigeon. She was bawling hysterically and kept saying "please don't let it die, please don't let it die" over and over . Well, after calming her down and looking at the pigeon, I decided that it was most likely poisoned and it was very close to death. The poor thing was extremely neurologic and convulsing, but also trying to fly only to get stuck flapping his wings while laying on his back :( it was so sad. I wanted to euthanize but this lady was so hysteric that I promised I would try everything I could.. so I took it inside and gave him some activated charcoal and held him for 10 minutes because if I let him go he would freak out. Then he just died all of a sudden. I was actually kind of relieved because I felt so bad for him.. But still sad at the same time because I was hoping he would survive (although it wasn't very realistic of me to think he would pull through considering how bad off he was). I really wish I would have euthanized so he wasn't suffering for longer than needed, but I guess I'm glad that I at least tried. Still.. bummed now :(

:( That's hard. So sorry.

Members don't see this ad.

I just really thought after elections were over, people would quit being dumb. Should have known better. I don't care what party you believe in... Because I can't stand when people from any party talk without no backing. Louisiana now has a blue governor. First time in nearly a decade. The alternative republican candidate, who I'm sure you've all seen in the national news (hint: diaper Dave) is literally the most vile person to exist but people still defend him, because he's republican and "doesn't suck up to Obama". Who said anything about that? Like I'm a registered democrat and there's things I don't like about Obama. Lol. People are too bipartisan and it shows how much they don't understand the political system. They should give the test you have to take to obtain American citizenship to people who want their political opinions on Facebook. Because I know of some people who can't pass it.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
One of my FB friends just posted this story:

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
READ READ READ.... JDS IS A MURDERING SCAMMER..

We are heartbroken, sickened and outraged to announce that our dog, Red, an average rated ...beautiful girl, whom we rescued from *** on 11/9 was put to sleep by her foster, JS of XXXX, PA on 11/16. In less than one week, she decided to end Red's life without ****'s knowledge or permission.
On 11/16 we received a frantic call from a rescue friend via a vet employee in PA. JS brought Red into their practice and wanted her euthanized. The vet refused, so JS left with the Red. We immediately called and texted Her. We left messages and sent texts begging her not to do this and told her we would come and pick Red up. We then called XXX Township Police. An officer was immediately dispatched, but it was too late. According to the officer JS had already taken Red to XXXX Veterinary Hospital in XXXX, PA and had her euthanized. We have texts from JS from Nov. 11, 12 & 13 with no mention of any issue or problem. She sent a cute pic of Red, and told us, "she is a gem." Three days later, she had her killed.
Sadly we have grown accustomed to saving dogs from miserable owners. Now we must also worry that vets will euthanize healthy dogs at the whim of a foster, without permission of the dog's owner (****). All of Red's paperwork is in the name of *** and ****, and her microchip was in our name. How could the vet have euthanized a dog if the "owner" could not provide proof of ownership? JS could not possibly have had any legitimate paperwork indicating that Red was her dog. After numerous conversations with the Practice Manager at XXXX Vet, she insists that she can not provide any details to us because we can not prove she was our dog. We have sent her all of the shelter paperwork. When asked if the vet bothered to check the dog's microchip, she said that doesn't prove a thing. They will give us no information other than the fact that the dog is gone.
We have retained an attorney to file a complaint with the veterinary licensing board in PA. We will pursue this in any way we can. We will fight for Red. We will try to stop this vet office from ever killing healthy dogs again, Especially healthy dogs that do not belong to the person who is requesting the euthanasia! We will try our best to see to it that JDS never kills another innocent dog.
Below is a go fund me post by JS about Red. She was attempting to raise money for vet bills which is odd considering **** pays for vet bills. Her post even says, "Even if we cannot be her forever home I am 1000% committed to seeing her find such." Cleary she was a foster, and had absolutely no right to have this girl euthanized. The post appears to be from 11/11, and on 11/16 Red was dead. Was this a scam? Please share far and wide. Let's honor Red's memory. She mattered, and she deserved better.
We will update you as this progresses.
With love & sorrow,
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Names removed for privacy.

Issues with the foster aside, I'm trying my best not to reply to the post asking people to consider NOT condemning the vet for any of this. They have NO idea what this woman told them. She could have said she adopted the dog from the rescue and the dog needed to be put down for something reasonable. She clearly didn't tell them she was the foster and just wanted the dog euthanized for no reason, or that the rescue offered to take it back. I'm sure if I comment, people will just attack me too. UGH!:rage::rage::rage::rage:

Edit: This vet is also super nice and offers 100% FREE OVH & neuter to cat rescues once or twice a year. The vets and staff all volunteer their time and spay & neuter easily 100+ cats that day. They also give them all capstar, apply frontline, treat them for ear mites, test them for FIV/FeLV etc, ALL AT NO COST!

Last edited:

We are heartbroken, sickened and outraged to announce that our dog, Red, an average rated ...beautiful girl, whom we rescued from *** on 11/9 was put to sleep by her foster, JS of XXXX, PA on 11/16. In less than one week, she decided to end Red's life without ****'s knowledge or permission.
On 11/16 we received a frantic call from a rescue friend via a vet employee in PA. JS brought Red into their practice and wanted her euthanized. The vet refused, so JS left with the Red. We immediately called and texted Her. We left messages and sent texts begging her not to do this and told her we would come and pick Red up. We then called XXX Township Police. An officer was immediately dispatched, but it was too late. According to the officer JS had already taken Red to XXXX Veterinary Hospital in XXXX, PA and had her euthanized. We have texts from JS from Nov. 11, 12 & 13 with no mention of any issue or problem. She sent a cute pic of Red, and told us, "she is a gem." Three days later, she had her killed.
Sadly we have grown accustomed to saving dogs from miserable owners. Now we must also worry that vets will euthanize healthy dogs at the whim of a foster, without permission of the dog's owner (****). All of Red's paperwork is in the name of *** and ****, and her microchip was in our name. How could the vet have euthanized a dog if the "owner" could not provide proof of ownership? JS could not possibly have had any legitimate paperwork indicating that Red was her dog. After numerous conversations with the Practice Manager at XXXX Vet, she insists that she can not provide any details to us because we can not prove she was our dog. We have sent her all of the shelter paperwork. When asked if the vet bothered to check the dog's microchip, she said that doesn't prove a thing. They will give us no information other than the fact that the dog is gone.
We have retained an attorney to file a complaint with the veterinary licensing board in PA. We will pursue this in any way we can. We will fight for Red. We will try to stop this vet office from ever killing healthy dogs again, Especially healthy dogs that do not belong to the person who is requesting the euthanasia! We will try our best to see to it that JDS never kills another innocent dog.
Below is a go fund me post by JS about Red. She was attempting to raise money for vet bills which is odd considering **** pays for vet bills. Her post even says, "Even if we cannot be her forever home I am 1000% committed to seeing her find such." Cleary she was a foster, and had absolutely no right to have this girl euthanized. The post appears to be from 11/11, and on 11/16 Red was dead. Was this a scam? Please share far and wide. Let's honor Red's memory. She mattered, and she deserved better.
With love & sorrow,

Issues with the foster aside, I'm trying my best not to reply to the post asking people to consider NOT condemning the vet for any of this. They have NO idea what this woman told them. She could have said she adopted the dog from the rescue and the dog needed to be put down for something reasonable. She clearly didn't tell them she was the foster and just wanted the dog euthanized for no reason, or that the rescue offered to take it back. I'm sure if I comment, people will just attack me too. UGH!:rage::rage::rage::rage:

Edit: This vet is also super nice and offers 100% FREE OVH & neuter to cat rescues once or twice a year. The vets and staff all volunteer their time and spay & neuter easily 100+ cats that day. They also give them all capstar, apply frontline, treat them for ear mites, test them for FIV/FeLV etc, ALL AT NO COST!

I've seen similar posts that people have shared in my dogs' adoptive families page. I made a comment once just explaining a little bit about how we only had one side of the story and that convenience euthanasias (whether that was the case in either incident, is not entirely clear) are a controversial topic in the field, but it does not make someone a bad vet/mean they should loose their license. And then I left it at that if people wanted to blow it up. I try to stay out of most things, but if I can explain a potentially controversial topic in a civil manner, I sometimes try. Other times I just let it go because then I get angry and it's not good for anyone then.

With love & sorrow,

This is just like the situation that if your husband cheats, you attack the woman he cheated on you with. It's not her fault, it's HIS! Way to place the blame on the innocent accomplice who probably had no idea what was really going on. Sheesh.

Reactions: 3 users
This is just like the situation that if your husband cheats, you attack the woman he cheated on you with. It's not her fault, it's HIS! Way to place the blame on the innocent accomplice who probably had no idea what was really going on. Sheesh.
I'm not sure if that's really the same thing theoretically. I understand that lies can be told all day long and it's not the practice's fault if someone is a messed up maniacal individual and lies about their situation. However, it's not a nice lady that was duped by a seemingly nice guy into being a mistress, you can't fix that or improve on how people choose to cheat on each other. It's euthanasia, apples and oranges. It's a controlled substance with regulations and state laws, and a huge responsibility. If some horrible mistake happens, doesn't responsibility by default fall at least partly onto the shoulders of the one who authorized its use and holds a license to obtain the euthasol? Doesn't it at least point to a deficit in the process of euthanasia authorization? Where I work we have the owner sign a piece of paper authorizing the euthanasia, and if that person wasn't the owner we would have no idea, and it's actually very very scary. We generally don't euthanize unless the pet is geriatric and/or suffering from a medical condition, so the likelihood of a bad situation occurring is low. But for places that do offer convenience euthanasia, what is to stop my boyfriend from loosing his marbles one day and taking my dog (my child), to a place to have him euthanized just for spite? I think instead of pointing fingers and trying to take away an innocent person's license, it would be great to generate ideas to improve the system that allowed the situation to occur in the first place.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if that's really the same thing theoretically. I understand that lies can be told all day long and it's not the practice's fault if someone is a messed up maniacal individual and lies about their situation. However, it's not a nice lady that was duped by a seemingly nice guy into being a mistress, you can't fix that or improve on how people choose to cheat on each other. It's euthanasia, apples and oranges. It's a controlled substance with regulations and state laws, and a huge responsibility. If some horrible mistake happens, doesn't responsibility by default fall at least partly onto the shoulders of the one who authorized its use and holds a license to obtain the euthasol? Doesn't it at least point to a deficit in the process of euthanasia authorization? Where I work we have the owner sign a piece of paper authorizing the euthanasia, and if that person wasn't the owner we would have no idea, and it's actually very very scary. We generally don't euthanize unless the pet is geriatric and/or suffering from a medical condition, so the likelihood of a bad situation occurring is low. But for places that do offer convenience euthanasia, what is to stop my boyfriend from loosing his marbles one day and taking my dog (my child), to a place to have him euthanized just for spite? I think instead of pointing fingers and trying to take away an innocent person's license, it would be great to generate ideas to improve the system that allowed the situation to occur in the first place.
I understand what you are saying, but I don't think it's that easy. First, it's probably extremely rare for someone to maliciously euthanize someone else's pet. If vets made people jump through extra hoops to have a pet euthanized due to those very rare instances, it could be very traumatic for everyone else. I can't tell you how many times I took calls from a person in tears stating they needed to put their pet down but they were out of town, their regular vet was closed, they didn't have a regular vet, etc. If everyone had to prove they owned the pet, some people wouldn't ever be able to do that. Where I worked, our euthanasia form had a line that said "I am the rightful owner of the pet detailed above." Once the person signs that, I feel any legal ramifications regarding ownership/falsifying ownership, lies with the person who signed the contract.

With love & sorrow,

As they say, possession is 9/10ths of the law. There's really no 100% effective way of determining ownership and veterinarians shouldn't have to wade through documents and testimony from various parties to determine who the real owner is (leave that to a civil judge) before engaging in some kind of medical intervention, procedure, etc. I would hope most vets have a consent document a client signs before any euthanasia that covers their ass if a client lies or misrepresents themselves.

Members don't see this ad :)
We make sure that the name of the owner on file matches the person who is signing for the euthanasia. That person also signs a statement saying they are the legal owner of the pet that they are authorizing euthanasia for.

Anyone can come in and pretend to be the legal owner and have a pet euthanized. That is theft/petnapping and possibly animal cruelty. If it turns out that's what happened, that's not on me.

Unless the pet is a good adoption candidate, I will euthanize whatever pet comes my way for really any reason because I believe the buck stops with me. If the pet is not a good adoption candidate for whatever reason (health or behavior), I think it is far kinder for me to euthanize than for me to let the pet go home with someone who wishes the pet dead.

Reactions: 1 users
My mother was one of those that got convenience euthanasia for pets out of spite. As a kid, I had hoped that the vets would have gotten histories and figured out that these animals were better to be adopted out. I held hope that they were alive somewhere for a long time. Then I entered the vet med world and realized it was not likely that my mom was just lying or that some kind vet spared them from the crazy lady since no vet could see behind the scenes.

I still kinda wish that pet ownership worked like a driver's license: you take an easy test and register your intent, nobody will really stop you until you screw it up. Dog fighting? Pet license revoked. Unnecessary euthanasia or poor treatment or neglect? Suspension, retest, education, possible second chance. But some way that this crap could be documented across vets, breeders, and owners.

We make sure that the name of the owner on file matches the person who is signing for the euthanasia. That person also signs a statement saying they are the legal owner of the pet that they are authorizing euthanasia for.

Anyone can come in and pretend to be the legal owner and have a pet euthanized. That is theft/petnapping and possibly animal cruelty. If it turns out that's what happened, that's not on me.

Unless the pet is a good adoption candidate, I will euthanize whatever pet comes my way for really any reason because I believe the buck stops with me. If the pet is not a good adoption candidate for whatever reason (health or behavior), I think it is far kinder for me to euthanize than for me to let the pet go home with someone who wishes the pet dead.
Quoting for truth. I've probably euthanized some pets that people might have disagreed with, but frankly, unless those people want to jump forward and offer to adopt those animals, they can STFU. There are cases where otherwise young/healthy animals are presented for euthanasia and my clinic does rehome them if possible, but we're not a shelter. We don't have the resources to care for animals for free indefinitely. We also end up with a significant number of ferals that end up getting HBC or something and then someone brings them in and now we have to spay/neuter/treat/vaccinate and figure out what to do with it because the SPCA isn't particularly well off here.

As far as presenting an animal that isn't yours, we make sure that the person presenting the animal is on the record, and if not, we need consent from the owner.

Unnecessary euthanasia or poor treatment or neglect? Suspension, retest, education, possible second chance. But some way that this crap could be documented across vets, breeders, and owners.
The problem is how do you define "unnecessary"? Sure, a happy healthy 1 year old cat with no behavioiur issues is a pretty cut and dry case. What about a 10 year old Lab with severe recurrent skin issues, but otherwise in good shape? I practically begged them to pursue thyroid testing, but they opted to euthanize. Should I have tried to find that dog a home? What about the 12 year old hyperthyroid cat? Easily treatable, but owners are moving, can't take cat with them, family won't take it, who's going to take the middle aged cat with a chronic problem that's going to require constant medication and bloodwork?
Unnecessary euthanasia is rarely black and white.

As far as presenting an animal that isn't yours, we make sure that the person presenting the animal is on the record, and if not, we need consent from the owner.
The problem here is when someone comes in that isn't a current client and you either can't get a hold of their rDVM or they don't have one. In this case the ownership clause on the euthanasia consent form is the only good way to protect the vet.

The problem is how do you define "unnecessary"? Sure, a happy healthy 1 year old cat with no behavioiur issues is a pretty cut and dry case. What about a 10 year old Lab with severe recurrent skin issues, but otherwise in good shape? I practically begged them to pursue thyroid testing, but they opted to euthanize. Should I have tried to find that dog a home? What about the 12 year old hyperthyroid cat? Easily treatable, but owners are moving, can't take cat with them, family won't take it, who's going to take the middle aged cat with a chronic problem that's going to require constant medication and bloodwork?
Unnecessary euthanasia is rarely black and white.
True. This would only count in my world for a person who brings in multiple young, completely healthy animals with no history of aggression or problem behaviors. These people are rare, but we have fired a few clients who would bring in animals once they were "no longer cute" but didn't want to rehome. That is an unacceptable reason in my book. And those people shouldn't be offered the chance at another puppy.

The problem here is when someone comes in that isn't a current client and you either can't get a hold of their rDVM or they don't have one. In this case the ownership clause on the euthanasia consent form is the only good way to protect the vet.
True. And certainly, that happens. There's only so much you can do (at least until I perfect my mind reading abilities....)

Good news: no tear in my rotator cuff.

Bad news: I have 'frozen shoulder,' a lot of inflammation, and muscle atrophy (which is apparently very strange for a 23 year old). The pain either never goes away, or randomly goes away after at least a year. :yeahright:

Good news: no tear in my rotator cuff.

Bad news: I have 'frozen shoulder,' a lot of inflammation, and muscle atrophy (which is apparently very strange for a 23 year old). The pain either never goes away, or randomly goes away after at least a year. :yeahright:
look up a frozen shoulder. It's not just those things. Usually there's adhesive capsulitis which may need to be surgically removed...

look up a frozen shoulder. It's not just those things. Usually there's adhesive capsulitis which may need to be surgically removed...
My MRI report does say adhesive capsulitis, but my ortho said nothing he sees is operative...? I've been through a lot of PT, tried rounds of NSAIDS, and got a second cortisone shot today (holy crap ow) which are the only pre-sx therapies I've found. I might see another ortho for a second opinion.

My MRI report does say adhesive capsulitis, but my ortho said nothing he sees is operative...? I've been through a lot of PT, tried rounds of NSAIDS, and got a second cortisone shot today (holy crap ow) which are the only pre-sx therapies I've found. I might see another ortho for a second opinion.
yeah, but if they can't un-freeze it, they usually have to remove some of the tissue (or so I've been told by my ortho). It's definitely something to try to PT out first.

yeah, but if they can't un-freeze it, they usually have to remove some of the tissue (or so I've been told by my ortho). It's definitely something to try to PT out first.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully this cortisone shot helps once the initial shot-pain fades. If not, we're going to try injecting at several other points in the shoulder to see if any of it helps. He didn't want to bother with PT again since it didn't change anything. I'll have to wait it out and see. It's just gotten so bad that I can't even reach out to pet a patient with that arm (which is serious business IMO :p).

True. And certainly, that happens. There's only so much you can do (at least until I perfect my mind reading abilities....)
Wait, I thought part of a requirement for graduating from vet school was the ability to read minds..... Or do you only need a preliminary ability to do so to graduate? :p

All I want is to be able to sleep for longer than 4 hrs/night again... and to actually be able to wake up feeling refreshed. I am getting so sick of this.

All I want is to be able to sleep for longer than 4 hrs/night again... and to actually be able to wake up feeling refreshed. I am getting so sick of this.

:( melatonin?

Can you go in for a sleep study, or have you brought this up with your doctor?

Melatonin seems to work okay; I just need to buy some more.

Can you go in for a sleep study, or have you brought this up with your doctor?
I've talked with my doctor about it some, and she thinks it may have to do with my thyroid condition and major depression.

That being said, my dad does have sleep apnea, so I wouldn't be horribly surprised if I had a case of that, too; I may have to see about doing a sleep study soon just to be sure.

Melatonin seems to work okay; I just need to buy some more.

I've talked with my doctor about it some, and she thinks it may have to do with my thyroid condition and major depression.

That being said, my dad does have sleep apnea, so I wouldn't be horribly surprised if I had a case of that, too; I may have to see about doing a sleep study soon just to be sure.
Ah geez. I hope this works out for you, and soon! I was sleeping for 10 hours a night and feeling like I had only gotten a handful...turns out it was sleep apnea for me.

Also, if you ever need an ear for anything at all, I'm here!

Stay strong, ketoone. Sleep problems are awful. I was waking up 20 times a night due to nerve pain in my neck (old injury) for months, and just got my meds adjusted to fix it. If you need medical help, be your own advocate. Tell your doctor that you need something to help you, even if it is short term. I was quiet about it once, and the doctor told me my sleep issues were "situational."

I got a call this morning about a "job." I didn't pick up on the name of the company and asked the person to repeat it and describe the nature of the work that I would be such a good fit for supposedly. That person then hung up. I'm sitting on my couch like, "Oh, you must be in some kind of telephone sales."

Check my e-mail. Find a generic message from something called DePere Concepts - which sounds close to what the person said. No mention of what the company actually does. Google it. Telephone and door-to-door sales. Commission based. Fake positive reviews on Glassdoor.com.

This is why I don't like posting my resume online. It's also why I was really pissed that my university's alumni job board is just a collection of ****ty jobs pulled off of big job websites. When I signed up there yesterday it just re-registered me on Indeed, Monster, Snagajob, etc. Now I'm getting multiple e-mails for different kinds of sales jobs. I have zero sales experience and no interest in convincing people over the phone to buy **** they don't need. I certainly don't want my earnings to be tied to selling people **** they don't need.

I have some sort of stomach thing going on now. :( Can't keep any food down since last night. :sick: Hopefully this is a one-day ordeal. Probably my bodies way of preparing for Thanksgiving. :rolleyes:

Ah geez. I hope this works out for you, and soon! I was sleeping for 10 hours a night and feeling like I had only gotten a handful...turns out it was sleep apnea for me.

Also, if you ever need an ear for anything at all, I'm here!

Stay strong, ketoone. Sleep problems are awful. I was waking up 20 times a night due to nerve pain in my neck (old injury) for months, and just got my meds adjusted to fix it. If you need medical help, be your own advocate. Tell your doctor that you need something to help you, even if it is short term. I was quiet about it once, and the doctor told me my sleep issues were "situational."
Thank you so much for the support, guys. I very much appreciate it. I love this community. :love:

Reactions: 2 users

You and me both. It's a little better that I'm back on a rotation, but I never sleep straight through the night and never wake up refreshed. This has been ongoing for me, so it's not just clinics/NAVLE stress.

Not directed at me, but the only thing it does for me is make me less angry when I wake up in the middle of the night. I normally get very frustrated but it seems to help me remain calmer.

Not directed at me, but the only thing it does for me is make me less angry when I wake up in the middle of the night. I normally get very frustrated but it seems to help me remain calmer.

Aw :( Melatonin does wonders for me... Although I think that it might be slightly due to the placebo affect lol. I don't wake up as much at night, and I wake up feeling refreshed. I don't take it every night, but if I get crappy sleep for a few nights in a row, it really helps get me back on track!

Aw :( Melatonin does wonders for me... Although I think that it might be slightly due to the placebo affect lol. I don't wake up as much at night, and I wake up feeling refreshed. I don't take it every night, but if I get crappy sleep for a few nights in a row, it really helps get me back on track!

Yeah. I think the evidence for melatonin is sketchy, isn't it? I haven't really looked, but that was my impression.

.......... but I still use it sometimes and I swear I get MUCH better sleep with it.

Yeah. I think the evidence for melatonin is sketchy, isn't it? I haven't really looked, but that was my impression.

.......... but I still use it sometimes and I swear I get MUCH better sleep with it.
I feel like most supplements have a certain amount of sketch to them...but the only thing I know about melatonin is that if you don't take it properly, you end up screwing up your sleep more than it would have been without the supplement. Or something like that.

You and me both. It's a little better that I'm back on a rotation, but I never sleep straight through the night and never wake up refreshed. This has been ongoing for me, so it's not just clinics/NAVLE stress.

Probably because the word 'melatonin' seems calming...

My coworkers got me sick. I worked very hard to avoid it, but the headache, the muscle aches, the sore throat...

Poop

Yup it's been a rough week. Even worse are the pets that are seriously suffering and the owner won't until after everyone comes home to say goodbye at thanksgiving...

This profession makes you hate holidays of any kind. Nothing good ever comes from them.

Say WHAT??

I'm not obligated to treat ANYTHING. And if I feel a particular patient can't be managed within a reasonable risk level with the staff, drugs, and equipment I've got, I am under ZERO obligation to treat it.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean?

That's been the rule in every vet clinic I've ever worked in. You use assistants, drugs, muzzles, restraints, rabies poles - whatever is needed, but you treat the animal. I've never had a client refuse to let us use whatever we needed to use to do the job, but I've also never seen the owner of a clinic I've worked for (and I've worked for several) refuse to treat any animal other than wildlife (and that is only because it is illegal for a vet to treat wildlife in my state without a special permit, which the clinics I've worked for have never had). By obligation, by the way, I'm not talking about a legal obligation. I'm talking about a moral obligation. We always did a lot of feral cat care for people caring for wild cat colonies in the area. And some of the dogs I have cared for over the years have literally left me with my hands shaking uncontrollably afterwards. I have had some very close calls over the years, believe me - including almost having my face bitten off by a fear aggressive Mastiff. We also did a lot of care for animals brought in by animal control. The way I look at it, the animals are not responsible for their behavior - most of them have been made that way by the stupidity or abuse of humans. I went into vet med to care for all animals, not just the well-behaved, friendly kind - although I very much appreciated those kind whenever they showed up in the exam room.

Reactions: 1 users
That's been the rule in every vet clinic I've ever worked in. You use assistants, drugs, muzzles, restraints, rabies poles - whatever is needed, but you treat the animal. I've never had a client refuse to let us use whatever we needed to use to do the job, but I've also never seen the owner of a clinic I've worked for (and I've worked for several) refuse to treat any animal other than wildlife (and that is only because it is illegal for a vet to treat wildlife in my state without a special permit, which the clinics I've worked for have never had). By obligation, by the way, I'm not talking about a legal obligation. I'm talking about a moral obligation. We always did a lot of feral cat care for people caring for wild cat colonies in the area. And some of the dogs I have cared for over the years have literally left me with my hands shaking uncontrollably afterwards. I have had some very close calls over the years, believe me - including almost having my face bitten off by a fear aggressive Mastiff. We also did a lot of care for animals brought in by animal control. The way I look at it, the animals are not responsible for their behavior - most of them have been made that way by the stupidity or abuse of humans. I went into vet med to care for all animals, not just the well-behaved, friendly kind - although I very much appreciated those kind whenever they showed up in the exam room.
Most of the places I've worked it has been said "We will treat anything we can treat without unreasonable risk." But we also NEVER turned anyone or anything away. If the dog or cat was super aggressive, we found a work around. If the exotics vet was out on vacation, we called her and phone consulted the case until she could show. If they had no money (for reals, homeless people not North Face wearing, nice shoes, kid playing on a Nintendo in the background people) we pulled everything we could out of the donate drug bin, from the donation jar up front for what needed paid for, and asked staff to volunteer extra hours if a late night surgery or CC was needed. I have taken home so many patients because of this.

I did work with a vet that only treated what he felt like and sometimes that meant he would send someone out the door ignoring a problem or not telling them about it or just leaving someone in an exam room forever until he felt like dealing with them. It was all based on owners though because he did not see his techs as useful or valuable. He did not give a crap if we got our faces eaten if Joe was an old friend. He also took on surgeries that he shouldn't have because he liked clients and you could spot it because he would get all nervous, knock the patient out and then go outside to pissed out the back door or go work on the garden while a tech was left monitoring his patient for sometimes 2 hours before he got up the nerve to proceed.

Still others (more recent) refuse clients with dangerous animals, recommend euthanasia but no hints as to where to find a place that would be willing or able to care for an aggressive large patient and announce loudly that they don't care, it's not their problem.

I think that your techs are precious. I'm a bit biased (as the tech sent to deal with aggressive patients and clients most often). A doc ought to protect themselves and their staff, but should also strive to do well by their patients. If you can't take on the 350 lb BoerBole, then know where the clinic that can is (and verify with them). You aren't prepared for rabbit spays? Know who is. I don't think you should take on things that give you bad vibes, but find someone to refer the client to. If they are a good client and you are a good doc, your goal is to help the patient, not just to wipe your hands clean of a problem.

But, that's what I think after seeing some extremes on both sides of this arguement after over a decade as a tech, but it's where I sit right now. It may change.