RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Local "rescue" took in this 10yo F dog that was recently spayed. Well....she's a trainwreck. It would be better to figure out what *isn't* wrong with her. This is her current list of issues (that I have proof of):
  • heartworm positive
  • generalized alopecia and lichenification with odor
  • bilateral ear infection
  • multiple mammary gland masses
  • AGGRESSION (both to people and other dogs)
  • underweight
  • historical recurrent demodex
I think she probably has an endocrine disorder leading to the skin issues. But even diagnostics alone to determine what's really going on are going to cost an arm and a leg. And that money could help so many more dogs. They rescued her off what they term "death row" at the shelter and that mindset bothers me, too.

If my tech didn't have lightning fast reflexes, she'd be at urgent care for a bite wound right now. And this was while she wasn't doing anything. Dog gave no signals that I saw.

I work at an animal control facility in south TX over breaks and rescues try to pull dogs like this so often it's ridiculous. It would be funny if it weren't for the fact that they pass over tons of highly adoptable animals to pick out animals that are often aggressive or need a lot of expensive care. They always go on about animals being on "death row" (that mindset bothers me too, a lot), but I'm not sure they ever think about whether it's wise to re-home an animal that is extremely dog/people aggressive with lots of $$$ health issues to people who often have little experience dealing with any of those issues.

Members don't see this ad.

Hate when great, well-intentioned, educated people get sucked in by people who have no credibility whatsoever.

Hate hearing the "vets know nothing about nutrition" argument from people with either zero training in medicine at all or experience solely from the human side. I know it's something I will have to deal with, but it's annoying every time. Anecdotes do not equal evidence.

Hate seeing events sponsored by people who use dominance theory as the basis for their dog training programs. It's bunk, yo.

Hate seeing rescues so desperate for funding that they'll let these types of people hold events for fundraising. I'd rather donate directly, thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hate when great, well-intentioned, educated people get sucked in by people who have no credibility whatsoever.

Hate hearing the "vets know nothing about nutrition" argument from people with either zero training in medicine at all or experience solely from the human side. I know it's something I will have to deal with, but it's annoying every time. Anecdotes do not equal evidence.

Hate seeing events sponsored by people who use dominance theory as the basis for their dog training programs. It's bunk, yo.

Hate seeing rescues so desperate for funding that they'll let these types of people hold events for fundraising. I'd rather donate directly, thanks.
A lot of people still think veterinarians aren't even taught nutrition during school, and that major pet food brands pay for them to take nutrition classes in exchange for pushing their brand. I had a client tell me all about it once. I was very grateful for the information :rolleyes: I'm sure nutritional courses vary from school to school, but I've yet to hear about a school that ignores it completely.

Physics 2... :boom:

I know I've had more difficult/annoying pre-reqs, and I even (somewhat) enjoyed physics 1, but man. I am just not feeling this class at all.

Reactions: 2 users
Ok, felines of MN, you can quit obstructing Any Time Now. I am tired of sticking things in your teeny weenies this weekend.
10607961_1063678363694356_2060216015_n.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
My old colic horse fractured her tibia during recovery. All of us are just totally defeated. We worked so hard, but warned the owner this could happen... She was 29 with bad DJD of both hind limbs. Just couldn't get herself up. :(

My old colic horse fractured her tibia during recovery. All of us are just totally defeated. We worked so hard, but warned the owner this could happen... She was 29 with bad DJD of both hind limbs. Just couldn't get herself up. :(
ugh.... so sorry for all involved.

Today, during my break, one of my coworkers was complaining about her neighbors, who belong to the same ethnic group I do. No big deal, typical boring story, but when this person was describing some fairly negative traits, another one chimed in with, "They're all like that. That's what they're like," repeating herself a few times. Our break room is very small and only has a few chairs, so I was actually sitting right next to these two people, though I was trying to read and wasn't actively engaged in the conversation.

HELLO? I'm sitting right over here, and my ears are working just fine. Go ahead and talk some more about what "they" are "all like." I'm honestly floored by the absolute lack of professionalism and boundaries at this place. I've definitely heard more awful and more offensive things in my life, but that kind of talk is totally inappropriate in the workplace. Other coworkers have had somewhat similar conversations (more along the lines of "It's always [this group] that negative-thing-ifies"), and it's starting to get on my nerves. Wondering whether it's worth it to talk to management about it.

Today, during my break, one of my coworkers was complaining about her neighbors, who belong to the same ethnic group I do. No big deal, typical boring story, but when this person was describing some fairly negative traits, another one chimed in with, "They're all like that. That's what they're like," repeating herself a few times. Our break room is very small and only has a few chairs, so I was actually sitting right next to these two people, though I was trying to read and wasn't actively engaged in the conversation.

HELLO? I'm sitting right over here, and my ears are working just fine. Go ahead and talk some more about what "they" are "all like." I'm honestly floored by the absolute lack of professionalism and boundaries at this place. I've definitely heard more awful and more offensive things in my life, but that kind of talk is totally inappropriate in the workplace. Other coworkers have had somewhat similar conversations (more along the lines of "It's always [this group] that negative-thing-ifies"), and it's starting to get on my nerves. Wondering whether it's worth it to talk to management about it.
If it's bothering you, talk to the management/HR. You shouldn't have to feel this way anywhere. At my old job, students would always feel that they were making a 'big deal' out of nothing and be super self conscious when they reported stuff to me. I would always tell them that stuff like this is never not a 'big deal,' and that turning a blind eye to it is only going to allow this stuff to perpetuate.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm very confused by what's considered a sports medicine appointment...tried to schedule one (and got one) because of my shoulder issues and thought that would be the best department to try to figure everything out. Apparently that's not the case. It's an exercise related injury, therefore I think sports medicine and not just GP. Felt like I got some attitude for trying to schedule the appointment even though I explained my thought process and said I would gladly see the appropriate service if I was contacting the wrong one.

If it's bothering you, talk to the management/HR. You shouldn't have to feel this way anywhere. At my old job, students would always feel that they were making a 'big deal' out of nothing and be super self conscious when they reported stuff to me. I would always tell them that stuff like this is never not a 'big deal,' and that turning a blind eye to it is only going to allow this stuff to perpetuate.

Well, as usual with workplace issues, it's not quite as straightforward as it is when you're dealing with students. I can count on one hand the number of people at work who are not what your average American would define as white. In my job category, I'm literally the only minority, and these conversations happen in the back, not the front, because the staff up front have to watch their mouths in front of the clients. If management addresses it, it'll be 100% obvious who spoke up, and I'm not so sure I want to deal with the potential repercussions.

The other issue is that although I trust management to listen if I do say something, I don't trust their ability to really change much. We've brought up more serious issues directly related to work problems (like someone pretending to clock out, staying clocked in for an extra few hours, and then coming back later to clock out after having been somewhere off site) and nothing ever seems to change or happen. So this all leaves me with the feeling that I may be sticking my neck out for absolutely nothing. I may say something anyway out of principle and because I'm so sick of dealing with these little subtle comments that have followed me in school, work, and in my personal life for years, but I do hesitate because this will be prime fodder for the toxic gossip machine. If it continues or escalates, I think I'll get over that hesitation pretty quick, though.

Members don't see this ad :)

Not that you could do this now, but I think I would have done an obvious "ehem!" And given them a look like wtf?

My son is half black and one of my old co-workers went off on this story about some black woman. She mentioned the woman's race so many times that it made me uncomfortable, so I told her she may want to be careful how she told that story in the future due to the emphasis of that unimportant detail because it made her sound racist. She replied "I'm not racist, but a white person just wouldn't do that!" After that I told her quite bluntly, she's racist, and I know plenty of people of all different colors who would have behaved the way the woman in her story did.

Well, as usual with workplace issues, it's not quite as straightforward as it is when you're dealing with students. I can count on one hand the number of people at work who are not what your average American would define as white. In my job category, I'm literally the only minority, and these conversations happen in the back, not the front, because the staff up front have to watch their mouths in front of the clients. If management addresses it, it'll be 100% obvious who spoke up, and I'm not so sure I want to deal with the potential repercussions.

The other issue is that although I trust management to listen if I do say something, I don't trust their ability to really change much. We've brought up more serious issues directly related to work problems (like someone pretending to clock out, staying clocked in for an extra few hours, and then coming back later to clock out after having been somewhere off site) and nothing ever seems to change or happen. So this all leaves me with the feeling that I may be sticking my neck out for absolutely nothing. I may say something anyway out of principle and because I'm so sick of dealing with these little subtle comments that have followed me in school, work, and in my personal life for years, but I do hesitate because this will be prime fodder for the toxic gossip machine. If it continues or escalates, I think I'll get over that hesitation pretty quick, though.
I understand, but the only way to make change is to call for it. I just cannot stand that kind of stuff. I hope it gets better for you! Small workplaces make everything sticky and tougher to handle.

There's usually someone you can contact even anonymously if needed for these things. I believe the term is ombudsman. Look into it. They can make people pay attention

That dog bite fiasco is about to be dug up again :( My insurance got a hold of me and basically sent me a questionnaire about the incident to see if they "paid correctly." In other words, they're going to contact the school and request that the school's insurance covers my doctor visit. I hope it doesn't turn into some huge thing again.

Have to write a paper for my pathology rotation based on a case we saw. My case is super interesting, but it's seen more often in human medicine, so a lot of the literature I'm using is over my head/a little too detailed. I'm also still waiting to have the finalized necropsy report sent to me so I can write up that part of the paper. At this rate, I'll be staying up late tomorrow night to finish it since it's due Friday.

That dog bite fiasco is about to be dug up again :( My insurance got a hold of me and basically sent me a questionnaire about the incident to see if they "paid correctly." In other words, they're going to contact the school and request that the school's insurance covers my doctor visit. I hope it doesn't turn into some huge thing again.
This should not be something that you even have to worry about. Seriously, the school has insurance FOR THIS REASON

This should not be something that you even have to worry about. Seriously, the school has insurance FOR THIS REASON
I sent some emails and everyone seems super nice so I'm less worried. Just the whole "PP9, why didn't you tell anyone you were bitten?" "I did, actually...." conversations were uncomfortable, and I was worried I was going to have to go through all of that again.

Being the only part time VA at my hospital means that when we have a string of really slow days, I'm the first one that gets told not to come in. There goes 10 hours of work...
Story of my life... Sorry WZ, I feel your pain.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Abdominal Radiology Exam tomorrow... :scared:

Physics 2... :boom:

I know I've had more difficult/annoying pre-reqs, and I even (somewhat) enjoyed physics 1, but man. I am just not feeling this class at all.

I'm in the same boat. I have no understanding of circuits whatsoever. I'm taking a different teacher this semester, and she grades homework for completion. BUT tests are 50% of our grade. I'll have to do a lot more studying this time around :(

So I have a mock interview with some professors at my school tomorrow in preparation for my real ones... I had my outfit laid out, shoes and all. I go to take a nice bath. When I come back, my lovely pitbull-child thing has torn said nice shoes to shreds. And of course the the next thing he does is start whimpering for me to get out his food bowl. He acts like he's not well fed, I don't get it. Thankfully I have some backups. It's just frustrating because I wasn't in the bath that long and he had to have climbed to get those shoes... :bang: Still love him though...

You are going to do great, you got this!!!!! :D
Despite the prof told us that most people fail this exam.... I'll try to maintain your optimism :p
plication. lymph nodes. foreign body.

Have fun!
And we can't forget my least two favorites- peritonitis and mild generalized SI dilation...

Honestly if we didn't have crazy exams I would love radiology, I generally find it super interesting.

Despite the prof told us that most people fail this exam.... I'll try to maintain your optimism :p

And we can't forget my least two favorites- peritonitis and mild generalized SI dilation...

Honestly if we didn't have crazy exams I would love radiology, I generally find it super interesting.
But you aren't most people! :D Also, how hard is it to say big blobby thing or small blobby thing, or medium sized blobby thing? Pshh, so silly that you think this exam will be difficult! :p

(in all seriousness, you will do great, full confidence in yha :) )

Ugh. The weather for the pass this weekend has just been getting worse and worse. Now the snow level is down to 1000 feet (good thing the pass is 3000+...), plus it's been raining so it's going to be icy too. The other pass that would only had an extra few hours on isn't great either, so I'd need to go the long way around, which will add an extra four+.

Should have just taken my mom up on the offer to split the cost of a plane ticket with me. Then the flights where $180-250. Now they're $400-470 :(

Really hoping things clear up in the next few days! Otherwise it will be a very long drive.

Can't sleep..clowns will eat me.

Seriously, I hope I am not an unstable mess from this insomnia for my interview tomorrow. :poke:

I promise you these probably aren't the weirdest things people have ever written on a vet school exam. They probably won't even crack the top 10.

Oh, I'm sure...

I definitely have written random bull**** that is definitely not accurate. Like the varying measurements for radiation... what are they grays? or rontgens? whatever... I answered with random gemstones instead.

I think I have also written down random movie quotes too.

Oh, I'm sure...

I definitely have written random bull**** that is definitely not accurate. Like the varying measurements for radiation... what are they grays? or rontgens? whatever... I answered with random gemstones instead.

I think I have also written down random movie quotes too.
Points for creativity at least?

Virginia Medical Board, thank you for being SO helpful.......ARRGHHHH:mad::bang: