RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You're such a jerk.

f961a5a1db7a1f1804a77e055f42c39b.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
6-9" of snow for tomorrow. Hasn't even started yet and half my staff has already said they won't be in tomorrow. Ugh. I get that some of them have long commutes but seriously- at least wait and see how bad it is in the morning. Here's hoping my appointments all cancel too.

Members don't see this ad :)
I leave Nebraska on Friday and I really want more snow. Where's our blizzard? :(

My instructor gave us a set of example problems for practice. One of the questions insinuates that having anxiety attacks before an exam is because you spent too much time socializing :eyebrow:

A little boy that goes to my daughter's special needs daycare died and I just found out on Facebook.

He had Down Syndrome as well and was a year or 2 younger. I don't know why or how he died.

I do know that he was sweet. He played with my daughter. He gave hugs out like candy. I can remember seeing him and my daughter walk down the hallway hand in hand.

I hate that his passing makes me sad for his parents and unable to reach them, unable to offer comfort in a terrible moment.

It also makes me terrified for my kid for no reason. It feels selfish and just sad.

Members don't see this ad :)
6-9" of snow for tomorrow. Hasn't even started yet and half my staff has already said they won't be in tomorrow. Ugh. I get that some of them have long commutes but seriously- at least wait and see how bad it is in the morning. Here's hoping my appointments all cancel too.

I think we're getting less than expected, but it's definitely worse up here versus down where I work. I worked hard to get in the Monday after the huge blizzard and had exactly ZERO things to do so I don't want to rush in to work today just to have all my appointments cancel and sit around until tonight. But I also don't want to leave the other doctor I work Tues nights all by her lonesome...argh. I still have a couple hours before I have to head in, but I may call and see if I've got anything going on or if I'm wide open and make a call then...

I think we're getting less than expected, but it's definitely worse up here versus down where I work. I worked hard to get in the Monday after the huge blizzard and had exactly ZERO things to do so I don't want to rush in to work today just to have all my appointments cancel and sit around until tonight. But I also don't want to leave the other doctor I work Tues nights all by her lonesome...argh. I still have a couple hours before I have to head in, but I may call and see if I've got anything going on or if I'm wide open and make a call then...
We were closed today and our manager told us not to come in until 11AM tomorrow while they try to clean everything up. So flatmate and I shovelled and watched Netflix today. Much better than the last snow day we had where I was on call so was still running back and forth to the clinic to deal with in-patients and emergencies.

"Are you crazy.....?" --> what all other Nebraskans think of you. Lol
I think the Nebraskans here find us hilarious. We built snow people and had some great snowball fights and the boys even made an igloo! We can't get enough of the snow :D

Dear Mom: Being a helicopter parent wasn't cool growing up, it was less cool in university and now that I'm living fully independently, it's gotta stop. This is why I don't tell you things, because you manage to worry about them.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel like all of my weekends since New Year's have been full - working, plans with friends, various other obligations. I just want a quiet weekend to myself where we can do whatever we want. Huzz's birthday is the end of Feb (which is conveniently a long weekend for me) so I was planning to do fun stuff for his birthday just the two of us...and now my mother is planning her retirement party for right in the middle of his actual birthday (Sunday). She just decided on this like, last weekend and was like, "I'm sure you can make time to come!" Yes, of course I can, and we will, but ugh! :annoyed:

A little boy that goes to my daughter's special needs daycare died and I just found out on Facebook.

He had Down Syndrome as well and was a year or 2 younger. I don't know why or how he died.

I do know that he was sweet. He played with my daughter. He gave hugs out like candy. I can remember seeing him and my daughter walk down the hallway hand in hand.

I hate that his passing makes me sad for his parents and unable to reach them, unable to offer comfort in a terrible moment.

It also makes me terrified for my kid for no reason. It feels selfish and just sad.

Aw man. So sorry - that is very sad. :(

I feel like all of my weekends since New Year's have been full - working, plans with friends, various other obligations. I just want a quiet weekend to myself where we can do whatever we want. Huzz's birthday is the end of Feb (which is conveniently a long weekend for me) so I was planning to do fun stuff for his birthday just the two of us...and now my mother is planning her retirement party for right in the middle of his actual birthday (Sunday). She just decided on this like, last weekend and was like, "I'm sure you can make time to come!" Yes, of course I can, and we will, but ugh! :annoyed:

Also feeling like I haven't had a free weekend since New Years. Had one free weekend in January but getting snowed in with my father and his girlfriend is hardly relaxing. Doesn't help that I haven't been getting out of work on time the past week or so either because of stupid stuff. So ready for a break.

Luckily I've got this coming weekend off. Was supposed to be meeting up with friends but honestly I think I'm going to cancel and hibernate. With the cell phone turned off so I can be unreachable.

Also feeling like I haven't had a free weekend since New Years. Had one free weekend in January but getting snowed in with my father and his girlfriend is hardly relaxing. Doesn't help that I haven't been getting out of work on time the past week or so either because of stupid stuff. So ready for a break.

Luckily I've got this coming weekend off. Was supposed to be meeting up with friends but honestly I think I'm going to cancel and hibernate. With the cell phone turned off so I can be unreachable.

Even spending time with friends and not working is tough when I just want quiet/don't want to have to talk to anyone - thanks introvert self. Enjoy your weekend off! :D

There is a weird cheese smell in the hall outside of our lecture hall and I don't know what it is, but nobody is addressing it. About to buy some glade plug-ins and bring them back.

Certain instructors can't word questions well for the life of them. Spent the entire morning trying to figure out if "lying deep to" meant medial to or dorsal to a particular muscle. Still haven't come to a conclusion.

Also, I literally dove to catch a fainting friend (it was a success) and while I'm glad I saved her skull, I angered my shoulder in the process.

How do college students not know how to cite sources and write in complete sentences? The teacher specifically said use complete sentences and cite your sources... ugh... written group work is a pain.

Reactions: 2 users
We do this at my clinic too. It's nice. :)

The sketchy clinic I was working at in 2014 was a "1 doctor" clinic open 7 days a week (closed only on Thanksgiving and Christmas) and she would have a relief vet come in on Sunday and possibly another day of the week. If we were hurting for money (which we were), then she would cancel the relief doctor and work Sunday. Towards the end there, it grew to be a disappointment to come in on Sunday and see her car parked instead of the relief vet.....

Struggling with all the stress of applications//waiting to hear back from schools + school work + working + everything else in life. I just want it to be spring break so I can sleep for a week. :unsure:

Reactions: 4 users
Andddddd in tonight's news, my male dog peed on my female dog's head. Again. But I didn't realize it until she crawled into bed with me and I felt/smelled her wet head under my chin. :barf:

Struggling with all the stress of applications//waiting to hear back from schools + school work + working + everything else in life. I just want it to be spring break so I can sleep for a week. :unsure:
I don't like this, but I sympathize. I feel like a stereotypical pregnant woman with all my changing emotions. One moment I'm convinced I'll be rejected, then feel optimistic again, then really nervous, then depressed that I won't get in . . . I need a break from my head.

I don't like this, but I sympathize. I feel like a stereotypical pregnant woman with all my changing emotions. One moment I'm convinced I'll be rejected, then feel optimistic again, then really nervous, then depressed that I won't get in . . . I need a break from my head.

Literally me right now! The worst is seeing other people get decisions from the schools you interviewed with while your inbox is empty. It's even worse when you think they may be going in alphabetical order and your last name is at the beginning of the alphabet... I mean, just tell me you don't want me guys!! Lol

Wait....was I pregnant when I applied too?!

Jk....but I did go through the same mood swings.

Nailed it. I have been trying to remind myself that if all else fails and I don't get in this year, the sun will still come up the next morning and I will make it, but man...

It's definitely tough.

I've been doing the whole replaying interviews in my head thing way too much as well. :hungover:

Fingers crossed for all the hopeful 2020-ers out there still waiting for an acceptance. :luck::xf:

Reactions: 2 users
How do college students not know how to cite sources and write in complete sentences? The teacher specifically said use complete sentences and cite your sources... ugh... written group work is a pain.

That probably depends on where these people fall in terms of their college education. Freshmen and sophomores are typically the worst - especially if they attended a less academically rigorous high school that didn't stress writing and research skills. Even in grad and professional school there are people who seem to struggle with writing basics so you'll always be asking, "How do college/grad/vet students not know how to cite sources and write in complete sentences?"

Also, when it comes to group projects, some people like to pretend being incompetent to get out of doing work. I've seen that happen before.

It's refreshing to have people not tell me I'm crazy. Everyone keeps saying "they'd be crazy not to pick you aloha! You'll get in everywhere!" Or "they wish they could get people like you!" Or "why are you even stressing? You're a shoo in!"

I have two acceptances but also some rejections, but I really cannot complain, but my top school should be coming out any time this week or next and the stress of it is getting to me. My mind is on endless repeat obsessing over finding/picking a school that I love.

It's refreshing to have people not tell me I'm crazy. Everyone keeps saying "they'd be crazy not to pick you aloha! You'll get in everywhere!" Or "they wish they could get people like you!" Or "why are you even stressing? You're a shoo in!"

I have two acceptances but also some rejections, but I really cannot complain, but my top school should be coming out any time this week or next and the stress of it is getting to me. My mind is on endless repeat obsessing over finding/picking a school that I love.
Is WSU your top choice?

That probably depends on where these people fall in terms of their college education. Freshmen and sophomores are typically the worst - especially if they attended a less academically rigorous high school that didn't stress writing and research skills. Even in grad and professional school there are people who seem to struggle with writing basics so you'll always be asking, "How do college/grad/vet students not know how to cite sources and write in complete sentences?"

Also, when it comes to group projects, some people like to pretend being incompetent to get out of doing work. I've seen that happen before.
Yeah, it's important to remember that everyone comes from different backgrounds. We're doing peer reviews of a written assignment now, and I'm see the same stuff. Everything we need to do is spelled out for us, but people aren't doing it. Also, IMO, the ability to write is a gift to an extent. Some people just aren't good at putting their thoughts and ideas on paper. Just like how some people just aren't good at face-to-face communication.

I'm in the same boat. I've been accepted to my first choice OOS school, but waiting to hear from my IS, which is my top choice. I'm very thankful I'm in somewhere, but Iowa State has long been my dream school! Monday cannot come soon enough.

So I'm taking my last pre-req at a new school, since we moved to another state. Our first exam is next week, and the professor said we need to bring our own scantron sheets.

...WTF? My $2,200 in tuition and fees isn't enough to cover some freaking scantron sheets?

In the past 12 years, I've attended two private schools and one state school, and I've worked at another state school that's actually bigger than this one and is well known for having insane bureaucracy and silly policies. I've never heard of students having to buy their own scantron sheets for class exams. Is this some kind of new cost-cutting trend or is this particular school particularly bad with the nickel-and-dime crap?

So I'm taking my last pre-req at a new school, since we moved to another state. Our first exam is next week, and the professor said we need to bring our own scantron sheets.

...WTF? My $2,200 in tuition and fees isn't enough to cover some freaking scantron sheets?

In the past 12 years, I've attended two private schools and one state school, and I've worked at another state school that's actually bigger than this one and is well known for having insane bureaucracy and silly policies. I've never heard of students having to buy their own scantron sheets for class exams. Is this some kind of new cost-cutting trend or is this particular school particularly bad with the nickel-and-dime crap?
I had one class in undergrad where we had to purchase scantrons and an essay booklet. It was kind of annoying, but they sold them at the campus bookstore for a few cents IIRC. :shrug: But it was mentioned in the syllabus, and I think even the textbook list available before classes started, so it wasn't an "oh, by the way" sort of thing.