RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think the email posted sounds confused about their own goals. On the one hand they talk about being able to work a job.... Manage their lives.... Etc. On the other they talk about how there is more to know now then however many years ago.

Those are contradictory reasons to extend the education. The former wouldn't change the education - just give you more flexibility to finish it at a pace you control. The latter suggests increasing the amount of content.

I think they need to get a better grip on what the PUPOSE is before they start looking for input. They sound confused or conflicted.

And in classic university fashion .... They are ignoring the reality of the income:hungover:ebt issue.

Seems like a non-starter to me. At least for now maybe if they had some miraculous way to get the tuition down..........

Speaking of other things that are non-starters (to me, anyway), did anyone see the bit about Colorado (I think???) floating that proposal to create a position in vet med similar to a physician's assistant? I'd have to go dig up a link.....

I agree. If there's SO much more to learn how is adding those 2 semesters in the classroom going to give you more free time? As a non-traditional student I like the idea of slowing the pace a bit, but not by adding more years. With what you get paid to be a vet these days and the tuition insanity, I'd rather see them lessen the time in school. I realize vets are doctors on furry (and sometimes not furry) creatures, so one would think we should do 4 years of school and a residency like the MDs, but the salaries and the way the business works outside of school doesn't support that. Conversely, the public seems to think vet school is only 2-3 years....not 4.

I think the mid-level vet thing is just a totally terrible idea for the profession. I HATE seeing a NP or PA when I make and pay for an appointment to see a damn MD. They make more mistakes and they do lots of things they aren't really supposed to be doing. It's too much MD ego without the MD knowledge base. If we are thinking PA but a vet version, they'd undercut the vet for all the simple procedures and vet school would basically be reserved for people who wanted to specialize. Think of the salary gap between Vet assistants, Vet Techs, and Vets. It's not nearly as large as Nurses, PAs, and MDs. I can't even imagine the salary range a vet PA would hope to fall in. I've always considered the registered Vet Tech the equivalent of the NP or PA for vet medicine, though not quite as the need didn't support it.

Members don't see this ad.

I just wanted my abx so my finger doesn't fall off :\ And people wonder why we don't go to human doctors when we get a bite at work...

Dog saliva in a previous cut will set me off and my lymph nodes under my arm pits swell. I play a lot of dog sports and work with high energy dogs. Sometimes you get bit. It's not aggressive and it's always been my fault. Every time they want me to report it. So far I have managed to come up with a story of how I got the wound and then dog saliva got into it and that's why it's infected. Fortunately I haven't had any obvious puncture wounds.

I don't get it. If the wound is minor and you admit you deserved it no harm no foul IMO, but I guess I see the need for protecting the public against truly dangerous animals. They don't ask me to report me and my kitchen knife when I slice my finger or my baseball bat or batters name when someone beams me with a ball. Sometimes accidents just happen.

You obviously didn't deserve it though and your job should have clued them in that you knew the proper procedure for reporting the issue. Sorry it happened. I hope you are on the mend!

My dog hurt his foot and the vet says he needs to be kept quiet for 2-3 weeks. Making a 1 year old border collie give up agility, herding, and daycare for 2-3 weeks and not go crazy should be no problem at all. :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
My dog hurt his foot and the vet says he needs to be kept quiet for 2-3 weeks. Making a 1 year old border collie give up agility, herding, and daycare for 2-3 weeks and not go crazy should be no problem at all. :bang:

How did you get involved with agility and herding? I'm interested on a hobby level...

Reactions: 1 user
How did you get involved with agility and herding? I'm interested on a hobby level...

There's an awesome agility place in Frederick. I train on Wednesday nights if you ever want to tag along. I am hoping to get the pup starting in herding eventually. The corgi people put on herding trials every so often but I haven't been able to find an organized place to train yet.

Kongs and puzzle toys.
I freeze the kongs with yumminess and make my dogs work for every kibble when I can't actually physically exhaust them. It's not the same but does help them tolerate being kept quiet.

We totally lucked into herding. One of my friends had found a herding instructor in town and brought me along over the summer. I wasn't originally planning on getting Zay into herding but he absolutely loves it! Agility was much easier. Our local shelter has classes.

Reactions: 1 users
Ugh. Rotation mate keeps complaining about the radiology rotation she just got off of, and I'm just absolutely dreading taking that last. Does radiology suck at other schools? People literally fail it here...

Kongs and puzzle toys.
I freeze the kongs with yumminess and make my dogs work for every kibble when I can't actually physically exhaust them. It's not the same but does help them tolerate being kept quiet.

I had the same problem, my border collie had to be on rest for 2-3 weeks. Considering I have one of those bcs that never even slept as a puppy, I know what you mean by 'high energy!' Mine isn't very food motivated but I did freeze the kongs like cowgirla, and played a lot of 'hide and seek' games where I would make her wait in one room while I hid something in the other. That, and obedience work, seemed to make her energy level manageable so that she didn't have the zoomies and play "the floor is lava" downstairs where she jumps from one piece of furniture to the other. Sigh...

Ugh. Rotation mate keeps complaining about the radiology rotation she just got off of, and I'm just absolutely dreading taking that last. Does radiology suck at other schools? People literally fail it here...

I hear mixed things here. Grade wise, don't expect more than a B and apparently they can make it difficult to get our competencies signed off on because there are also vet tech students here, so we're all competing. We have to take a test early in the rotation and then another exam at the end to pass. Apparently the test can be a bit challenging. It's my 2nd to last rotation so I'm not exactly excited either.

I love watching an animal suffer/die overnight because the vet doesn't want to call the owner to get permission for euthanasia. No, I am not misinterpreting this situation.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND TAKES THEIR CHILD TO SEE DEADPOOL?!?!? Sitting behind us was a family with 3 kids, ages 5-10 I'm guessing. There were multiple kids sprinkled in the audience. Not even teenage kids, but little kids. Elementary aged kids. That movie had mega violence, sex X's 100, f bombs upon f bombs, dirty jokes, etc... Don't get me wrong, I thought it was hilarious and a good movie, but seriously? Children? I cringed every time I heard the kids laugh at a dirty joke or when someone got their head blown off. Since when did kids become adults :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I cringed every time I heard the kids laugh at a dirty joke or when someone got their head blown off. Since when did kids become adults :(

They are likely laughing just because everyone else in the theater is laughing. If you ever go see a new Disney movie that slips in some "adult" humor here or there, when the adults laugh, the kids do too. Despite the kids not having any clue as to why the adults were laughing. Kind of a "monkey see, monkey do".

Still doesn't make it right to take a child to a movie like that. But I doubt the kids (minus a few rare exceptions) are laughing because they understand the dirty jokes.

Best day of my life went down hill pretty quickly.

Got accepted to vet school while getting ready for a night out. Car breaks down on the way. Parents come to town, lots of arguing. Not one mention of the acceptance because they were too busy bickering back and forth. And I need a new radiator. And I have no car. Sigh. My friends are so great too, no offers to help with the car and I'm now sitting at home by myself. No one has even checked on me. I'm the person that's always giving rides out, always helping with the tab at restaurants, and I can never find anyone to help me when I need it. Smh.

WHO IN THEIR RIGHT MIND TAKES THEIR CHILD TO SEE DEADPOOL?!?!? Sitting behind us was a family with 3 kids, ages 5-10 I'm guessing. There were multiple kids sprinkled in the audience. Not even teenage kids, but little kids. Elementary aged kids. That movie had mega violence, sex X's 100, f bombs upon f bombs, dirty jokes, etc... Don't get me wrong, I thought it was hilarious and a good movie, but seriously? Children? I cringed every time I heard the kids laugh at a dirty joke or when someone got their head blown off. Since when did kids become adults :(

I saw a Facebook post about this. it was warning people not to take their kids, even though kids may want to see it. I saw my first R rated movie in the third grade, though, so I can't comment :laugh:

They are likely laughing just because everyone else in the theater is laughing. If you ever go see a new Disney movie that slips in some "adult" humor here or there, when the adults laugh, the kids do too. Despite the kids not having any clue as to why the adults were laughing. Kind of a "monkey see, monkey do".

Still doesn't make it right to take a child to a movie like that. But I doubt the kids (minus a few rare exceptions) are laughing because they understand the dirty jokes.

You're probably right! It still made me crazy though, soooo much violence and sex for those little eyes!

I saw a Facebook post about this. it was warning people not to take their kids, even though kids may want to see it. I saw my first R rated movie in the third grade, though, so I can't comment :laugh:

OMG, I remember on my 13th birthday, my mom let me go to my first PG13 movie. I wasn't impressed, so I left halfway through to sneak in to Cars. Lol. On the other hand, my little bro was playing Halo at age 6 and watching Texas chainsaw massacre at the age of around 8. I was recently watching the news in horror learning about a dad who killed his whole family and committed suicide, and he's like "oh well, s*** happens".

Best day of my life went down hill pretty quickly.

Got accepted to vet school while getting ready for a night out. Car breaks down on the way. Parents come to town, lots of arguing. Not one mention of the acceptance because they were too busy bickering back and forth. And I need a new radiator. And I have no car. Sigh. My friends are so great too, no offers to help with the car and I'm now sitting at home by myself. No one has even checked on me. I'm the person that's always giving rides out, always helping with the tab at restaurants, and I can never find anyone to help me when I need it. Smh.
If it makes you feel better, I would've come and helped! I'm sorry for your troubles, though :( hope things look brighter tomorrow. Remember, you're going to be a vet!!!

Nothing ruins a busy night more than the right (wrong) clients!

Dicks. Take a hike. And while you're at it, see if you can find some responsibility for your own life. It's your dog, not mine. Don't expect me to pay for its health care.

Reactions: 3 users
My refrigerator is broken for the second time in 3 months. Now my food (after sitting and growing bacteria at 48 degrees overnight) is outside on my balcony...at -5 degrees. I have no idea how old this thing is, but if they can't muster a permanent fix, they really need to replace it. Or I really need to find a new place to live at the end of this lease.

Someone I went to school with posted on Facebook about how she had a near meltdown at Petsmart because they wouldn't groom her two tiny, indoor dogs because they were overdue on rabies by a few days. Meanwhile, her infant was bawling, and she was exhausted, and it's freezing out. I feel bad for her and totally see why she felt so overwhelmed, but of course a few people are commenting on how ridiculous Petsmart is and how she should call whatsherface or this person for grooming instead. One person said that they have a groomer come to their house to trim their dogs' nails and "she doesn't care about vaccines." :smack: Jesus christ, the thought of a house call nail trim on an unvaccinated dog makes me want to jump off a bridge. Why do people do that to themselves? All it does is encourage people who think rabies isn't a big deal and vaccines don't matter. I very briefly thought about commenting to sympathize with my classmate's crappy day but also mentioning it's for the best, since her not-UTD dog biting a Petsmart groomer wouldn't be a pretty situation, but it's not worth it.

Someone I went to school with posted on Facebook about how she had a near meltdown at Petsmart because they wouldn't groom her two tiny, indoor dogs because they were overdue on rabies by a few days. Meanwhile, her infant was bawling, and she was exhausted, and it's freezing out. I feel bad for her and totally see why she felt so overwhelmed, but of course a few people are commenting on how ridiculous Petsmart is and how she should call whatsherface or this person for grooming instead. One person said that they have a groomer come to their house to trim their dogs' nails and "she doesn't care about vaccines." :smack: Jesus christ, the thought of a house call nail trim on an unvaccinated dog makes me want to jump off a bridge. Why do people do that to themselves? All it does is encourage people who think rabies isn't a big deal and vaccines don't matter. I very briefly thought about commenting to sympathize with my classmate's crappy day but also mentioning it's for the best, since her not-UTD dog biting a Petsmart groomer wouldn't be a pretty situation, but it's not worth it.

I will gladly share info about the recent pittie who bit at least 5 people and tested positive for rabies in a neighboring county. Then were was also a set of puppies that were exposed to rabies and a boy who was attacked (like it launched itself on his face during daylight) by a raccoon on his walk to the school bus. This is all for February alone.

Why does every Facebook discussion about opposing viewpoints have to turn into a personal argument? I like discussion. I do. But no one can seem to do that. I mean, is it really all offensive that I said affirmative action isn't discriminating against the white middle class? I never block people on the basis that we disagree, but I can't take ad hominem and people that ALWAYS want to stir the pot. Sigh. The struggle of being a non-conservative in the south, y'all.

I will gladly share info about the recent pittie who bit at least 5 people and tested positive for rabies in a neighboring county. Then were was also a set of puppies that were exposed to rabies and a boy who was attacked (like it launched itself on his face during daylight) by a raccoon on his walk to the school bus. This is all for February alone.

I feel like I remember seeing a video of this somewhere. Is that a thing?

Why does every Facebook discussion about opposing viewpoints have to turn into a personal argument? I like discussion. I do. But no one can seem to do that. I mean, is it really all offensive that I said affirmative action isn't discriminating against the white middle class? I never block people on the basis that we disagree, but I can't take ad hominem and people that ALWAYS want to stir the pot. Sigh. The struggle of being a non-conservative in the south, y'all.

Step 1. Is your post about politics and/or religion? If yes, see step 2. If no, you are probably ok to post.
Step 2. Don't post.
Step 3. Profit???

Step 1. Is your post about politics and/or religion? If yes, see step 2. If no, you are probably ok to post.
Step 2. Don't post.
Step 3. Profit???

I'm not really a big poster of those things, but I see so much of it from others. If I didn't have to use Facebook for extracurricular groups and the only way to keep contact with people, I probably would just not have one. I really need to go down my friends list and do some deleting... but it's too much work as is making a new profile :confused: I have like 1700 friends. I let it get wayyyyyy to out of hand.

I'm not really a big poster of those things, but I see so much of it from others. If I didn't have to use Facebook for extracurricular groups and the only way to keep contact with people, I probably would just not have one. I really need to go down my friends list and do some deleting... but it's too much work as is making a new profile :confused: I have like 1700 friends. I let it get wayyyyyy to out of hand.

:laugh:

I don't even know how many friends I have. Don't really look/pay attention. Don't go deleting people though just because of one disagreement, people disagree on occasion, just some things can get more heated (politics and religion being two of those things). I really try to refrain from posting anything about those two topics, just isn't worth it.

This sounds reallyyyyy bad, but I stared doing this thing on Facebook where I delete people I don't know (or who I don't care to be friends with on Facebook) on their birthdays... Facebook tells me "today is so-and-so's birthday! Wish them a happy birthday?" And I click on their page and delete them. Done. After a year, you won't have any non-friends or people you don't know clogging your newsfeed :p

On the other hand, I post a good amount of scientific, equal rights, or environmental memes and articles. The super right-wing conservative people who don't like it tend to just remove themselves and that's that! A doctor I once worked with deleted me because I posted a scientific article on global climate change and he told me "I really like you and I'm glad we work together, but I don't want to see that propaganda". Okay :hilarious:

Edit: I will say that I have a fair amount of friends whom I love dearly who do not have the same political/religious/scientific beliefs as me, and we just have each other's newsfeed "silenced". You can go to a friend's page and click somewhere to not see their posts. Compromise! :)

:laugh:

I don't even know how many friends I have. Don't really look/pay attention. Don't go deleting people though just because of one disagreement, people disagree on occasion, just some things can get more heated (politics and religion being two of those things). I really try to refrain from posting anything about those two topics, just isn't worth it.

Oh, no not because of that! Just because I don't really have a connection to them anymore. Like I don't really see the need to keep someone as a friend if we talked two times in HS. Even then, I do enjoy keeping up with hometown gossip...

This sounds reallyyyyy bad, but I stared doing this thing on Facebook where I delete people I don't know (or who I don't care to be friends with on Facebook) on their birthdays... Facebook tells me "today is so-and-so's birthday! Wish them a happy birthday?" And I click on their page and delete them. Done. After a year, you won't have any non-friends or people you don't know clogging your newsfeed :p

On the other hand, I post a good amount of scientific, equal rights, or environmental memes and articles. The super right-wing conservative people who don't like it tend to just remove themselves and that's that! A doctor I once worked with deleted me because I posted a scientific article on global climate change and he told me "I really like you and I'm glad we work together, but I don't want to see that propaganda". Okay :hilarious:

Edit: I will say that I have a fair amount of friends whom I love dearly who do not have the same political/religious/scientific beliefs as me, and we just have each other's newsfeed "silenced". You can go to a friend's page and click somewhere to not see their posts. Compromise! :)

Oh their birthday bahahahahshsjskasl

This sounds reallyyyyy bad, but I stared doing this thing on Facebook where I delete people I don't know (or who I don't care to be friends with on Facebook) on their birthdays... Facebook tells me "today is so-and-so's birthday! Wish them a happy birthday?" And I click on their page and delete them.

I do this, too!!! If I remember to look at the birthdays, then I often end up deleting someone. Glad I'm not the only person who uses this method. :)

It's creepy when someone takes pictures of you in public without your consent. One of my neighbors in my condo block did that when I was cleaning my car off. I just stood still and stared at him for a long five seconds with my mean bitch face. After I got back from my errands, I wrote down his address. If it happens again, I'm contacting the condo association.

I'm supposed to be three hours away on an externship, playing with awesome birds of prey. Instead, my apartment complex has a frickin' sheet of ice for a parking lot and I can't back my car up without skidding.

cooling_down_by_ewig.gif

Aunt-in-law believes that since there's been no reported cases of rabies in Indiana, that she shouldn't have to get her cats vaccinated and that vaccinating for it is pointless.

Aunt-in-law believes that since there's been no reported cases of rabies in Indiana, that she shouldn't have to get her cats vaccinated and that vaccinating for it is pointless.
Well, duh. She probably doesn't even have fleas or ticks in her yard. She never has wildlife passing through, either. Why would she take preventative measures?

I'm not ragging on your family, I've just had the exact same conversation with cousins of cousins and whatever. Eye twitch.

Well, duh. She probably doesn't even have fleas or ticks in her yard. She never has wildlife passing through, either. Why would she take preventative measures?

I'm not ragging on your family, I've just had the exact same conversation with cousins of cousins and whatever. Eye twitch.
Oh good, it'll prepare you for having that conversation with clients. It's even more fun when vaccination isn't mandatory by your local government.

Oh good, it'll prepare you for having that conversation with clients. It's even more fun when vaccination isn't mandatory by your local government.
I mean, why would you still turn down flea/tick prevention when I tell you that fleas will infest your house?! Blech.

She even said "Why do we even vaccinate for rabies anymore?"
My response "Uhh, it's the law?"

I mean, why would you still turn down flea/tick prevention when I tell you that fleas will infest your house?! Blech.
My house is clean, duh. Fleas are only found in dirty houses.* Besides, I can use the stuff from Wal-Mart or my friend makes a lemon-garlic spray that works.

*This honestly seems to be what people think. And they get very defensive when you tell them they have fleas, like you're accusing them of being dirty hoarders.

My house is clean, duh. Fleas are only found in dirty houses.* Besides, I can use the stuff from Wal-Mart or my friend makes a lemon-garlic spray that works.

*This honestly seems to be what people think. And they get very defensive when you tell them they have fleas, like you're accusing them of being dirty hoarders.

"Uh, my dog did not have fleas when he came in. Clearly he picked them up from your clinic."

"Heartworm is a fake disease. It was made up by veterinarians and pharmaceutical companies so they could make more money."

She even said "Why do we even vaccinate for rabies anymore?"
My response "Uhh, it's the law?"
I tried to look up the incidence map for Indiana. Can't find it, but they do still list that last year there were about 40 positive bats and several other rabid animals. I can't find the date, but there was a human rabies case too sometime within the last 5 years too. Indiana isn't "rabies free."

or like my owner a few weeks ago, "You must have given my cat this fecal parasite, my house is clean."

I really cannot stand the coyote drama in Michigan right now. Besides the fact that my area of the state is literally full of gun slinging, redneck wannabes (not even kidding...I can't describe it any other way), they are in no way shape or form familiar with the laws regulating hunting. A man accidental shot himself in his blind and died. Very sad, and completely avoidable had he practiced basic gun safety steps. One person said "Well, he shouldn't have been preparing to open fire illegally anyways...no one respects those laws." Cue the flood of "Wow, this guy is so stupid!" comments. The law literally spells out when you can and cannot shoot a coyote, open season or not. Just frustrating to see someone provide the links to the law itself and still be called a stupid idiot because no one read the link...

There's a app? :smack:
Yeah. I don't like it. I never could get it to update properly. And I couldn't get the emotions to work properly. And a bunch of other dumb stuff. Better just to use SDN on the interwebs.

The apps not free either right? If an app isn't free, I can live without it. I've probably bought like 3 99 cent apps my entire life.

Yeah. I don't like it. I never could get it to update properly. And I couldn't get the emotions to work properly. And a bunch of other dumb stuff. Better just to use SDN on the interwebs.

The full site hurts my eyes when I try to read it on my phone. I'm computerless so 99% of my internet access is on my phone or mini tablet. The app was much more reader friendly even if I couldnt see emoticon crap. But now I have "access denied" and random blank screens instead of forums.