RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got in with a 3.4. From what I can recall you're not a bad student and your ecs are awesome. GPA definitely isn't everything. I was surprised when I got my interviews and though I know you're discouraged, I'm confident you will feel the same joy.

Now get off of SDN and STUDY!! :sendoff:

I get really crafty about procrastinating. You can say my procrastination is productive, but towards everything except studying. Tomorrow I ride with a LA vet all day, all this week I've been working on application stuff and things at work...everything but studying!!! :whistle:

Edit: I think interviews will ruin me. I've gotten hired and things after interviews, but I always look back on them and feel really dumb about things I've said. Maybe it's just something I've invented in my mind, but I feel like I sound terrible in interviews. Especially these MMI things (if I have any), I am not great under pressure. I'm working on it.

Members don't see this ad.

I have my biochemistry final on Monday (not entirely a final since it's not comprehensive of the entire course) on the metabolism pathways and all the details in between. I haven't studied much. I went to a review session today, and reviewed some on my own on Wednesday, but other than that...not much. Definitely not enough to know the detail that will be asked for on the test. I've kind of just thrown in the towel? I really don't think I'm getting into [a US] vet school with my glorious 3.2 and I feel like I'd just be putting in a lot of work for nothing. Sorry to get on here and whine about this, from a lot of what I've seen on this thread, you all have legit problems I'm just a dumb baby. YOLO on the exam I guess. It's just painful to put in as much work as I have toward my goal and then knowing that I will be largely judged on my numbers rather than everything else. Not that I'm special. That's another story though.

I just feel really stupid. Like..why does my GPA suck so much if I'm "smart?" why do my scores suck so much? I recently got diagnosed with a learning disability, but I think it's just a cop out for myself? I don't feel like I've really earned anything, I've just been..lucky (in terms of like....all the experience I've gained, getting admitted to my undergrad uni)? I don't know. My little old kitty is chronically ill too so that makes me sad. Sad sad sad

There are many of us here that got in with sub 3.5 GPA's..... it took some of us a few cycles but it worked out. Just buckle down, study what you can and do your best on the exam.

Reactions: 2 users
Why is it, when life seems to be going really good, something has to charge in and knock it all over? School was going good, I was starting to get into a great routine again, but then I came home today to a phone call from a hospital saying my parents was hit head-on by a fuel truck and my entire world fell apart just like that. They are in the ICU for who knows how long... I'm hoping morning will come, their surgeries will go well, and that they will be okay....

I'm so sorry to hear this, Ash. I'm definitely thinking of you. I hope surgery went well, and they're improving.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I get really crafty about procrastinating. You can say my procrastination is productive, but towards everything except studying. Tomorrow I ride with a LA vet all day, all this week I've been working on application stuff and things at work...everything but studying!!! :whistle:

Edit: I think interviews will ruin me. I've gotten hired and things after interviews, but I always look back on them and feel really dumb about things I've said. Maybe it's just something I've invented in my mind, but I feel like I sound terrible in interviews. Especially these MMI things (if I have any), I am not great under pressure. I'm working on it.

I thought both of my interviews went cruddy. Got an acceptance and a waitlist. I highly recommend mock interviews, they were good preparation for me!

Ash: I am so sorry about your parents accident. I have a happy ending similar accident though:
My hubby's parents were crashed into by a logging truck that lost brakes (or something, I could have sworn they said the driver was at fault though, not mechanical error), barreled through the median, hit them, then a fuel truck. The fuel truck lit a giant fire, luckily pushed away from their vehicle.
It was touch and go, especially for his dad, for awhile. But they both slowly recovered. A year out and we were joking about whiplash and 2-3 years out, both started working out again. Healing is definitely slower as we get older, but they did it.
I hope your parents do as well or better!

Thank you all so very much for the kind words and support, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it :love:

I'm here with them now, and I am very astonished but happy to say they are doing extraordinarily well. They are teasing the nurses and being their normal selves, and so now we can stop worrying and instead focus on them recovering :)

Reactions: 25 users
Thank you all so very much for the kind words and support, I can't tell you how much I appreciate it :love:

I'm here with them now, and I am very astonished but happy to say they are doing extraordinarily well. They are teasing the nurses and being their normal selves, and so now we can stop worrying and instead focus on them recovering :)

Glad to hear it! :)

That's weird. Has he been sentenced yet? Is he appealing the ruling?

My initial thought was maybe they're looking for friends and past girlfriends to speak on his behalf so he'll get a more lenient sentence or new witnesses for a potential retrial.
Yeah maybe. But he pled guilty (shudder) so I didn't know he could appeal.

Whatever. The whole thing is gross and weird so I'm going to ignore it.

Reactions: 1 user
I have my biochemistry final on Monday (not entirely a final since it's not comprehensive of the entire course) on the metabolism pathways and all the details in between. I haven't studied much. I went to a review session today, and reviewed some on my own on Wednesday, but other than that...not much. Definitely not enough to know the detail that will be asked for on the test. I've kind of just thrown in the towel? I really don't think I'm getting into [a US] vet school with my glorious 3.2 and I feel like I'd just be putting in a lot of work for nothing. Sorry to get on here and whine about this, from a lot of what I've seen on this thread, you all have legit problems I'm just a dumb baby. YOLO on the exam I guess. It's just painful to put in as much work as I have toward my goal and then knowing that I will be largely judged on my numbers rather than everything else. Not that I'm special. That's another story though.

I just feel really stupid. Like..why does my GPA suck so much if I'm "smart?" why do my scores suck so much? I recently got diagnosed with a learning disability, but I think it's just a cop out for myself? I don't feel like I've really earned anything, I've just been..lucky (in terms of like....all the experience I've gained, getting admitted to my undergrad uni)? I don't know. My little old kitty is chronically ill too so that makes me sad. Sad sad sad

Hang in there! Like many of the others have said you still have a chance with a less than stellar GPA. There's more to a person than their grades you just have to make them see that. Don't ever sell yourself short! If you ever need an ear to listen I'm here! I can relate to the less than stellar GPA, but I refuse to let it stop me from achieving my dreams. Just continue to drive on it will be worth it in the end!

Reactions: 1 users
My family (particularly my grandma) came in for my brother's graduation and she's driving me crazy. There was a Muslim family behind us, and she said "and then there was ISIS behind us- I'm surprised they didn't try to bomb the ceremony." And ugh I cannot stand the bigotry and ridiculousness. And they're here for 11 more days.

Uh, mothers. I have a good relationship with my mother, but she is overbearing. She is largely ignorant about what goes into vet school applications despite my best efforts to explain **** to her. Due to her ignorance and her overbearing nature, she tries to give "advice" that comes off sounding really belittling and insulting to my efforts. When I push back and challenge what she says, she starts crying and plays the victim. It's annoying as **** and I'm really tired of it.

Uh, mothers. I have a good relationship with my mother, but she is overbearing. She is largely ignorant about what goes into vet school applications despite my best efforts to explain **** to her. Due to her ignorance and her overbearing nature, she tries to give "advice" that comes off sounding really belittling and insulting to my efforts. When I push back and challenge what she says, she starts crying and plays the victim. It's annoying as **** and I'm really tired of it.

You just described my mom! Except the playing the victim part. She doesn't do that. We just continue going back and forth, lol. Mom knows everything!!!!

Pretty sure someone keyed my car, or at least I somehow have a long, thin scratch on the passenger side door. I have a paint pen I can touch it up with, but it's still annoying. :annoyed: I can't think of anyone I might have pissed off enough to do that to me, unless someone really hates my Harry Potter bumper stickers.

Also I'm training the new receptionist we've hired at the clinic I work at, and I really can't stand her. She's catching on well on certain things, but she's worked in human medicine before (as a nursing home aide, I think?) so she seems to have an attitude that she doesn't need to be trained much, when really she's still got a lot to learn. She seems bored and annoyed whenever I try to teach her things, she's really slow (although hopefully that will improve with time), and she's one of those people that prefers to argue with you if you point out a mistake rather than saying "oops" or "I'm sorry" or something. Today I caught a mistake she made (nothing major, she rang up the wrong bag of food for a client), and instead of apologizing she claimed she didn't remember helping that client at all. I wasn't mean about it, just told her to pay closer attention to what she's doing next time, but then for the rest of our shift she seemed really quiet and annoyed. I'm hoping she was just mad at herself for the mistake, but still, she's not going to last long if she lets mistakes get to her like that.

Members don't see this ad :)
So sorry to hear about your parents, Ash, but it's a relief to hear they're on the mend. Hope they have a speedy recovery!

Jessmonster, my mom used to be sort of like that, minus the crying. Instead she'd just get mad and/or mean. I eventually stopped arguing back and justifying my decisions. I would just go quiet until she stopped talking and changed subjects. Soon enough, she was able to make peace with the fact that I was going to do my own thing and that she couldn't control my actions or decide my fate anymore. Now she'll give her opinion, and I can calmly agree or disagree, and she's good about letting it go. Many overbearing mothers mean well, and I knew mine did, so I wanted to try to deal with it. But if they're not going to stop, at least you're not wasting your breath trying to justify yourself. "Thanks for that idea. So how bout them Yankees?" /end conversation

On my end, I found an apartment today. Yay! But now I'm here in the hotel room unable to sleep at all because I'm freaking out about moving and starting school and being apart from my now snoring husband and figuring out what the eff to do with the pets and ohmygod what did I do? I don't usually suffer from anxiety but we're becoming good friends now.

You know what really sucks about looking really young, having a high pitched voice, and being below average height? No one takes you seriously. Everyone thinks youre 15. And every. Dang. One likes to push your buttons. I get treated like a baby everywhere and no one gives me authority even when I demand it. Pretty much any self doubt I have comes from peoole like this. It's like I have to deal with adult bullies. Friends, coworkers, everyone walks all over me and it's freaking out of control at this point. Can I take a supplement to deepen my voice or something?

Anyways, my first night at work with my own section went from great to terrible, because of the aforementioned. I went in at 4, just got home, and only made 18 lousy dollars. Maybe I'll just live in the satisfaction that everyone around me is aging like banana peels and I'm still 6 years older than I appear. Fair enough?

I hear you rockatiel - when I was 19 coming home for christmas break from college once, I was sitting in an exit row and the flight attendant pulled me aside and said you have to be 15 to be in the exit row. I also got carded for R rated movies until I was 24. Now people mostly think I'm in my mid to late 20's which is fine.

I hear you rockatiel - when I was 19 coming home for christmas break from college once, I was sitting in an exit row and the flight attendant pulled me aside and said you have to be 15 to be in the exit row. I also got carded for R rated movies until I was 24. Now people mostly think I'm in my mid to late 20's which is fine.

So if does pay off later? I mean honestly I'm still eating for free on Tuesday's at some places. :laugh:

You know what really sucks about looking really young, having a high pitched voice, and being below average height? No one takes you seriously. Everyone thinks youre 15. And every. Dang. One likes to push your buttons. I get treated like a baby everywhere and no one gives me authority even when I demand it. Pretty much any self doubt I have comes from peoole like this. It's like I have to deal with adult bullies. Friends, coworkers, everyone walks all over me and it's freaking out of control at this point. Can I take a supplement to deepen my voice or something?

Anyways, my first night at work with my own section went from great to terrible, because of the aforementioned. I went in at 4, just got home, and only made 18 lousy dollars. Maybe I'll just live in the satisfaction that everyone around me is aging like banana peels and I'm still 6 years older than I appear. Fair enough?
I know these feels so well

I know this all too well, so many stories.

My brother is 10 years younger than me, running joke is soon he will be able to pass as the older sibling.

My interests are more towards the large animal side of things too, so if it all works out, I've basically signed myself up for a lifetime of this sort of thing.

I hear you rockatiel - when I was 19 coming home for christmas break from college once, I was sitting in an exit row and the flight attendant pulled me aside and said you have to be 15 to be in the exit row.

I'm sure I will appreciate this ten years from now when i still get carded.... But I just got asked if I was over fifteen years old when I sat down on the airplane and my seat was in the exit row. I'm a month and a half from being 22.

Same thing happened to me on my way home from an interview this year. I still get carded for everything.

Serious question. Why is the incidence of pyos so high?

So. I have an ex that has recently been tried and convicted of molesting his little sister for years. (Which makes me feel disgusting and horribly guilty for not knowing and therefore "allowing" it to continue, but that's a whole other conversation). I don't even live in the area anymore but a friend sent me the article about his arrest last fall. In the last week his mom has sent me multiple texts asking for my address to "send me info". That she and him would appreciate it. I haven't responded at all and I'm not sure if that's the best course of action. I'm wracked with guilt over the whole thing but would rather not have any part of it...
Not that you should open up communication, but I have to wonder if she wants you to participate as a witness if they are planning to dispute the decision. A friend of mine went through something similar with an ex (he was being charged with sexual assault), and his parents contacted her in a similar fashion. They wanted her to testify in his favor (if testify is the correct word) that he would 'never do that,' because heaven forbid they consider the fact that there is truth to the claims made against him. If you didn't know anything was going on, they may be contacting you for that reason alone. Saying you had no clue anything was going on with your boyfriend is as close to 'proof' that it didn't happen as you can get. Who brought the charges against him?

Edit: I hate when SDN on my phone cuts out pages of posts...I see you kind of addressed this already now that I'm on my computer lol. yes, v. gross. Avoid.

Last edited:
Um, several reasons.

1) we don't tend to breed our intact dogs (even if we choose not to spay) and nulliparous bitches have a higher incidence of pyometra
2) They typically happen in 7-8 year old dogs after an estrus cycle. Previously some of the large breeds that are more predisposed to pyos (rotties are listed) didn't live that long
3) It can be in relation to immunosuppression. So if an intact dog (or cat) has another issue, they are more prone.

The incidence rate in unspayed bitches is about 20% from the studies I saw.

Reactions: 4 users
Um, several reasons.

1) we don't tend to breed our intact dogs (even if we choose not to spay) and nulliparous bitches have a higher incidence of pyometra
2) They typically happen in 7-8 year old dogs after an estrus cycle. Previously some of the large breeds that are more predisposed to pyos (rotties are listed) didn't live that long
3) It can be in relation to immunosuppression. So if an intact dog (or cat) has another issue, they are more prone.

The incidence rate in unspayed bitches is about 20% from the studies I saw.
Did not know. Thanks for the information!

Apparently I am the target for the owners at the clinic I am working at. I was asked if I was sure this was the field I want to go into because I did not walk a surgery dog because to was still too loopy from the drugs and did not clip the nails of a surgery because they were already super short. I accidentally dropped a bottle of drugs while taking it out to constitute it, the doc was standing right there so I thought she was going to take care of it (i.e. Telling the office manager)... I threw the bottle in sharps and went about my day. They took that as I was trying to be shady about it. *sigh* I can handle that and understand that they are upset that the drug is expensive, but what rubbed me the wrong way was them asking me if I am sure this is the field I want to go into.

Apparently I am the target for the owners at the clinic I am working at. I was asked if I was sure this was the field I want to go into because I did not walk a surgery dog because to was still too loopy from the drugs and did not clip the nails of a surgery because they were already super short. I accidentally dropped a bottle of drugs while taking it out to constitute it, the doc was standing right there so I thought she was going to take care of it (i.e. Telling the office manager)... I threw the bottle in sharps and went about my day. They took that as I was trying to be shady about it. *sigh* I can handle that and understand that they are upset that the drug is expensive, but what rubbed me the wrong way was them asking me if I am sure this is the field I want to go into.

Would it make you feel better to know I shattered an entire bottle of propofol on the floor today? Tech - I think we will need more than 3ml of propofol. Me - *breaks remains a of bottle* yeah...nope, all gone. I also drew up 20ml from a bottle a couple months ago and got a little,aggressive with my suctioning...and then it was all over me and the floor. I'm totally useless haha.

I had a rotation in school that essentially the reviewers said I would make a horrible doctor and that it was obvious how little I cared for patients. Neither of these things are true (in fact my patient care on that rotation was significantly more attentive than my others rotationmates). Sometimes people say mean things because they are having a bad day and it makes them feel better to belittle someone. I know you know it means nothibg, but sometimes you need someone else to remind you that it means nothing.

As far as the loopy surgery dog, sometimes you really do need to force them to do things they don't want to do in order to get their blood pumping and muscles active. They probably should have taken that as a teaching moment instead of criticizing you though, it's not exactly intuitive.

Omg jmo I'm so glad you said that. I also broke a (full) bottle of propofol. I stood there gaping in a shower of glass with a syringe, covered in white. The older techs about died laughing. Then one of them broke our last bottle of torb...management was not amused but I was. Glad I'm not the only one with the exploding bottle experience ;)

Once I was giving something SQ and my syringe backfired on me. Stuff got in my eye, and since it was thick, it wouldn't come off of my contact. I had to take it out and walk around like a pirate for the rest of the shift :laugh:

At an externship I was on, the practice owner dropped a brand-new, 100 mL bottle of iso.

???
why???
Let's egg THEIR car.
Haven't gotten it yet, but my parking tag is a ****ty tiny plastic thing that doesn't fit particularly well around the weirdly thick rearview mirror in my VW. I'm constantly putting it back up after it falls, and I bet that happened while I was on vacation. My car was still here yesterday, but not as of like two hours ago when I tried to leave and be productive. Sigh.

While if that's the case it's partially my fault... I've literally parked in one of three spots for five years and I have a fairly distinctive car. I am very obviously a resident and it pisses me off that I have to worry about this at all.

...yeah, let's egg'em. :shifty:

Haha I'm sure we could fill an entire thread with all the spilled and broken drugs that have occurred over the years! I'm waiting for the day that I destroy something dog significantly more expensive haha. I have a fear of breaki,g fragile things. I also have an irrational fear of liquor stores and aisles because So. Much. Glass. Visions of tripping, many things breaking and making a big mess...shudder.

Having nervous breakdowns and second guessing dropping your seat the month before vet school starts is fun. Only the most fun.