RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've never passed out at work, but have a couple times getting injections in my back. It always feels like I'm slowly slipping underwater, to include the hearing impairment you'd get from being submerged. Is this what it's like for everyone, or just me?

Members don't see this ad.

Hm, I did have the weird hearing impairment, exactly like going underwater, when I fainted during my first (and only - never again! :laugh:) hot yoga class.

I've never passed out at work, but have a couple times getting injections in my back. It always feels like I'm slowly slipping underwater, to include the hearing impairment you'd get from being submerged. Is this what it's like for everyone, or just me?
It's sort of comparable to going underwater. I suddenly feel very warm and clammy, and voices sound like they're coming from far away. It's actually really similar to the feeling I get when I have a fever and am about to vomit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hm, I did have the weird hearing impairment, exactly like going underwater, when I fainted during my first (and only - never again! :laugh:) hot yoga class.
:eyebrow:
Hot yoga? Should I even ask? :laugh:

It's sort of comparable to going underwater. I suddenly feel very warm and clammy, and voices sound like they're coming from far away. It's actually really similar to the feeling I get when I have a fever and am about to vomit.
This is very similar to how I felt too!

:eyebrow:
Hot yoga? Should I even ask? :laugh:

Maybe you've heard of it as Bikram yoga? It's basically a scripted yoga routine done in a very hot (~100F), humid room. I went because my friend really wanted to try it and had a Groupon, and I like yoga in general. The place was packed, so the temperature must've been even higher. I got less out of it physically than I do from regular yoga and I passed out. Luckily the studio hadn't removed the ballet barres from the wall because in the lightheadedness, I managed to reach out and grab the barre with both hands. Would've probably hit my head otherwise.

Some people really love hot yoga, but IMO the only benefit is that being warm helps you stretch just a tiny bit more, and that's not worth the risk.

I like the underwater analogy. I've only gotten close to fainting twice in my life, but both times I got hyperfocused on one thing and the edges of my vision got very very dark and dizzy before I managed to take a seat and recover.

Once was during a trans-tracheal wash and I'm pretty sure I'm going to remember that cartilage crunching feeling/sound when I'm 80. Makes me shiver.

Maybe you've heard of it as Bikram yoga? It's basically a scripted yoga routine done in a very hot (~100F), humid room. I went because my friend really wanted to try it and had a Groupon, and I like yoga in general. The place was packed, so the temperature must've been even higher. I got less out of it physically than I do from regular yoga and I passed out. Luckily the studio hadn't removed the ballet barres from the wall because in the lightheadedness, I managed to reach out and grab the barre with both hands. Would've probably hit my head otherwise.

Some people really love hot yoga, but IMO the only benefit is that being warm helps you stretch just a tiny bit more, and that's not worth the risk.
I've never heard of that but as someone who would rather get up to exercise/run at 6am to avoid the heat, that does not sound like a fun time.

I am totally fine with working out outside in that kind of heat (I'd prefer not too, but since I prefer working out from 5-8 PM it happens occasionally in the summer and since my gym is in a warehouse) but put me in a room where it is purposely set up to be those conditions and it becomes a nightmare.

I think I might be allergic to sheep. I had runny eyes all afternoon while shadowing on the necropsy floor, and the only thing I can think of is that we had two sheep today. My eyes watered all the way home, which made the highway a little scary, but now I'm 100% fine.

Yes, we'll be maintaining separate residences about 3 hours apart in different states. That was one of the many questions on the form, so this is presumably my EFC with us living separately. Which is why I think it's kind of crazy. If we were living together, what would it be? Over half his income? I mean, that EFC is almost double the sum of our mortgage payments for the year.

Right, but you may need to call and list yourselves as "separated" instead of married, if you hadn't already done that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I see what you mean. It's weird that they'd do it that way, but it would explain why the EFC would be so high. I'll hopefully have time to call the office tomorrow. Email's usually not so great for stuff like this. Thanks for the info!

On another note, I was 10 minutes into bathing a dog with a medicated shampoo that has an ingredient I'm allergic to before I realized, "Hey, wait a minute, I'm allergic to this." It had started to make my arms red and itchy. Stupidest thing is that I had discussed the type of shampoo with the doctor, and she mentioned that exact ingredient, and when I went to look for a shampoo that fit the bill, I checked the labels for that very same ingredient. Like I must've seen the name at least 5 times. And I've had to fill out medical forms listing that allergy multiple times in the past two months, with the most recent time being THIS MONDAY. So it should've been fresh in my mind. But nope, my brain completely failed to process it until I was already itchy. Nailed it. :smack:

Reactions: 1 users
Animal control may as well have been on fire today. The theme song of the day was pretty much Yakety Sax.

• Unconscious dog who was intubated and had been on iso for a while bolted awake right before we moved her
  • A volunteer came in in the middle of the above and we had to kick him out of the clinic so we could focus on the emergency :oops: He ended up just leaving for the day
  • Another dog's ovarian pedicle tore at the level of the ovarian artery
  • Proceeded to have surgical meltdown throughout sixteen surgeries as everything that could possibly go wrong did (took four hours because we had a bunch of dogs with surgical complications, unusual problems, or who just plain refused to fall asleep, etc)
  • Some officers confiscated 8 cats from somebody, got bitten by ~3 of them, and then told us about them when another one was in labor in the van (and, of course, during our surgical meltdown). These cats were also somehow simultaneously intaken as owner surrenders, animal cruelty confiscations, bite cases, sick, and feral. How?! :confused:
  • Dog got brought in with a huge oozing dog bite wound on his hind leg... Right after a different dog had come in with a huge oozing dog bite wound in the same spot on the same leg... In the middle of our surgery meltdown
  • Every dog that came in also had scabies
  • Had to do a necropsy on a kitten head (yes, we only got the head) because someone thought it was dropped off Godfather style as a threat on the street in front of their house (it was actually killed by a coyote)
  • The hoarder whose house we raided a few weeks ago is hellbent on wasting everyone's time in court and questions all of our witnesses on the stand for like four hours. The only animal she got back was her tarantula though (even though it has hair loss from stress)
  • All of the foster paperwork we needed today was locked in the office of someone who is on vacation for a week
  • Lost funding for our program where we transport animals to other shelters in different states
  • ?!?!?!?!?!
Today was fun and interesting (as always), but also I never want this to happen again.

I don't quite get the people that creep the forums and then just join on the day they have an acceptance. Then talk about said acceptance for a bit then peace.

I mean...welcome to SDN...it's pretty great if you look around a bit. o_O

Reactions: 4 users
My knee injury official diagnosis: torn ACL, MCL sprain, knee effusion, and bone bruising. Orthopedics won't schedule an appointment until I regain full range of motion. Looks like agonizingly painful physio 2-3x a week for at least the next two months . Fingers crossed it works.

Moving sucks as does traffic. I now hate 95 and Merritt Pkwy in addition to 76.
95 sucks no matter where you are at on it. So glad I moved away from it. Now it's just 64 in the mountains for me :D

Cat just jumped on me and brushed by my hand, leaving some sort of juice (poop juice? residual pee?) on my hand. Ewwwwwwwwwww. I sort of wanted to smell it to find out what it is, but I wasn't brave enough.

95 sucks no matter where you are at on it. So glad I moved away from it. Now it's just 64 in the mountains for me :D

Seriously. I'm finishing up a 2 week externship with radiologists in Fairfax, and I've been commuting every day from my friend's house in Stafford. 95 and 495 are pure nightmares every single day and I have no idea how people keep their sanity and live in this part of the world.

Seriously. I'm finishing up a 2 week externship with radiologists in Fairfax, and I've been commuting every day from my friend's house in Stafford. 95 and 495 are pure nightmares every single day and I have no idea how people keep their sanity and live in this part of the world.

My commute this year is literally just 95 for 20 minutes (+ on/off ramps). I'm hoping it won't be too horrible since I'll likely not always be traveling during rush hour.

Stafford to Fairfax? Every day? :(

I'd rather scrape my face against hot pavement 5 times a day for 2 weeks than do that. The traffic out here is quite possibly the worst in the country, and it's only going to keep getting worse. I'm glad to be getting the eff out of here before the metro closures start happening. At least you have an end date in sight.

Reactions: 5 users
I am driving home to DC tomorrow for Father's Day and have to get on 95:arghh:

After what had to be the worst 6 months of my life, I finally told myself things were really beginning to look up.

Aaahahahahahahahah. I can't even right now.

Fortunately I did not have to make the commute from Frederick when I was doing my 6 weeks at NIH in fourth year!
Ugh. Traffic is so awful there. I lived in DC for my internship. Went into it never having had a speeding ticket in about a decade of driving. I got three over the course of the year. THREE. Road rage is real. Reason #859 why I'm SO happy to not live there anymore.

One of the country bars down here posted on Facebook that they now have a metal detector outside... bunches of people I know are working on getting their CCW now. So sad that people are so terrified.

I'm watching my friends bury their friends, their cousins, their brothers today and I can't believe they have to be concerned about people protesting their funerals. I just couldn't imagine being in that situation.

Got my first major sunburn of the year. It's not bad compared some previous burns I've had, but it's patchy and streaky so I'm going to have some fun tan lines.

I'm sorry to hear that though. Any idea as to why it's lame?
Not really. Nothing obvious on exam, and it's pretty mild, so I'm not super concerned, but it still sucks. Although I keep threatening her that if she doesn't stop being a prima donna and eat her apple flavoured bute powder, then she's gonna have to put up with injections. I may have one of the other docs look at her if it persists, cause I'm really bad at examining my own animals. Which I think is common; the neurologist that taught us said that her resident had to point out her own cat's head tilt cause she just never noticed.

Pet sitting and one of the dogs kept me up until 2am by jumping on and off my bed every fifteen minutes. I got to wake up at 5:45 and now work a ten hour shift. Thanks pup. Not like I wanted any sleep.

Here I am hanging out with @LetItSnow and still no sighting of his trademark van. I'm really disappointed!

;)

On a more serious rant, joints suck. the end.
I interpreted this incorrectly at first, then remembered you have issues with the joints in your body...

Welp, wouldn't be a father's day if my dad didn't have an explosive and nearly violent outburst because someone talked to him today (funny part was that I was actually talking to my mom...not him). Tried to leave, but was told I'd be reported to the police for 'stealing' the car he handed down to me years ago. I'm 24 years old, yet I feel like a six year old all over again. I know there are friends out there that wish they had a dad to celebrate with today, but seeing pictures of happy kids with their dads plastered on social media always burns me each year.

I interpreted this incorrectly at first, then remembered you have issues with the joints in your body...

Welp, wouldn't be a father's day if my dad didn't have an explosive and nearly violent outburst because someone talked to him today (funny part was that I was actually talking to my mom...not him). Tried to leave, but was told I'd be reported to the police for 'stealing' the car he handed down to me years ago. I'm 24 years old, yet I feel like a six year old all over again. I know there are friends out there that wish they had a dad to celebrate with today, but seeing pictures of happy kids with their dads plastered on social media always burns me each year.
:( I know that feeling too. My dad is a passive aggressive, emotionally manipulative, narcissistic hoarder, so father's day isn't too great of a holiday for me either. For what it's worth, it's better for you to leave any and all situations where he acts like that. Do you have the title to your car?

:( I know that feeling too. My dad is a passive aggressive, emotionally manipulative, narcissistic hoarder, so father's day isn't too great of a holiday for me either. For what it's worth, it's better for you to leave any and all situations where he acts like that. Do you have the title to your car?
No, I don't. It was never officially 'signed over' to me. He's out of town starting tomorrow, so I may make a break for it once and for all. The only issue is that I come with 4 pets and I will under no circumstances leave my pets behind. He tends to use my dog as a manipulation tool, so I could never leave them at risk like that. I just don't know. My boyfriend's apartment is small and he already has two cats. I could try to move in with my sister, but then he'd know where to find us and my sister has already severed ties. I don't want to drag her and the newborn into the drama again.

Our dads seem to be the same, minus for the hoarding. My dad doesn't understand why his kids "are against him all of a sudden." Um, maybe because you were physically abusive until we were strong enough to fight back, and now your emotional abuse is on a whole new level? Just a thought. We also never liked being around you, so....:mad:

I had similar issues with my dad up until recently. He's a very angry person sometines, and I don't understand it. The recent job loss and having to move into this tiny house has really caused my parents to work together more, and though I know that's far from a fix for his anger issues, its calmed down a lot. My dad left the house last Father's Day after an outburst. Come to think of it, hes left home a few times in the past few years. You're far from he only one :(

I had similar issues with my dad up until recently. He's a very angry person sometines, and I don't understand it. The recent job loss and having to move into this tiny house has really caused my parents to work together more, and though I know that's far from a fix for his anger issues, its calmed down a lot. My dad left the house last Father's Day after an outburst. Come to think of it, hes left home a few times in the past few years. You're far from he only one :(
I'm sorry to hear that we have similar experiences, but both of you can shoot me a PM anytime you need to vent. It would probably be good for me to talk to people who may be handling this kind of stuff more successfully than I am. I feel that as I get old, I'm only realizing how bad things actually are/have been and that what I grew up with wasn't a normal dad, contrary to what I was told.

I'm sorry to hear that we have similar experiences, but both of you can shoot me a PM anytime you need to vent. It would probably be good for me to talk to people who may be handling this kind of stuff more successfully than I am. I feel that as I get old, I'm only realizing how bad things actually are/have been and that what I grew up with wasn't a normal dad, contrary to what I was told.
I don't know if I would call it handling it successfully, but I come from a family with many people in it that could be classified as abusers, and my family themselves come from their own families full of abusers. It's a long and arduous cycle and many people fall into it despite themselves. I've spent a lot of time working through my relationships with these people (to varying degrees of success) and personally found a lot of peace by going almost 100% no contact with the people who were the worst to me. Unfortunately the people I cut off contact with have a lot of mental health stuff (+ personality disorders, + other personal junk) to sort through, and it just wasn't productive or healthy for me to try to help them sort through it. I wish it wasn't that way, as they have some really great moments and I love them despite myself, but the positive parts of those relationships ultimately just weren't worth having the negatives, for me at least.

There's only so much normalizing that can happen before you have to stop and listen to that voice in the back of your head that's screaming "THIS ISN'T RIGHT OR NORMAL!". I don't know why, but that mantra has helped me out a lot. Somebody I love backs me into a corner and threatens to hit me - this isn't right or normal. Somebody I love tells me I'm hideous and stupid - this isn't right or normal. Somebody I love throws things at me explicitly to cause me harm - this isn't right or normal.

You can love all sorts of people who may or may not be good for you. However, the people who also love you will treat you in ways that are right and normal. Love is an action and it is a choice just as much as it is a feeling. People who are not willing to make the choice and commit to the action are people who you need to be careful around, no matter how much they feel the feeling.

I'm not necessarily advocating for going no contact with anyone right away (it's a bit of a drastic step), as I've also had other relationships that were mended a lot by some strong conversations and laying ground rules. Each relationship is different and (to me, at least) the salvageable ones are the ones that both parties want to salvage regardless of what the previous relationship looked like.

Anyway, I'm rambling a bit here. For those of you who may be working through something similar with your own loved ones, here's a site I found that were helpful for me (I know this particular site is personality disorder specific, but many of the articles pertain to abuse and some of the behaviors related to it): http://outofthefog.website/

Reactions: 4 users
I think the sound styrofoam makes may be what turns me away from doing repro. I'm going to have permanent goose bumps after this rotation.
Because of nitrogen in coolers?
I deal with very little Styrofoam out in the real world now. We have awesome microQs and hard tanks... only Styrofoam is for sending small amounts of media to clinics/farms for freezing or ET.

The containers for shipping/transporting cooled semen
Yeah, it's almost all frozen by the time it gets to me. I guess in the andrology side they bring it in from collection in a cooler, but we still use a hard plastic one here... but they collect about 20-40 bulls a day.

Most of my classmates on the human side don't really deal with styrofoam much anymore either, but I do remember using it a lot in the school's semen lab and equine repro lab.