RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We've been short staffed for a month, lost two employees who haven't been replaced yet, because somehow everything else is a higher priority than people actually being able to do their jobs. Scheduling miscommunication, it's my day off to study for the gre and I have to go in because co-worker is there alone and all **** has gone crazy. Grumble grumble.

The great thing is, boss lady who has been putting off and putting off scheduling interviews and won't let us do it (which is fine, just please do it yourself! It's been a month, did I mention that?), has been complaining TO NO END about us not getting stuff done. We don't have all shifts covered, and haven't for weeks. I am so sick of this.
Sounds so very familiar. Fortunately for me I'm one of the people that left but my friends are struggling. They haven't replaced me yet and they cut hours, I'm not sure how anything gets dine. Quantity over quality according to the regional director though :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

The Eggs Were NOT Fresh and the Rest of the Eggs in the Carton did NOT 'Fess Up!

So ... I went to the Farmers' Market last weekend.

I wanted to purchase a dozen farm FRESH organic chicken eggs ... you know "really fresh" eggs - that is, organic eggs that haven't been in refrigeration for the past 7 days, or longer.

I found an egg farmer who insisted all of his chicken eggs are fresh ... you know ... as if each egg exited the hen's feathery caboose within the past 24 hours. Swoosh! The farmer looked like a "farmer" - he was wearing blue coveralls, floppy hat and dusty boots. I didn't examine the carton of eggs ... instead, I placed the egg carton in my bag, and took them home.

So far, every "farm fresh" egg has NOT been farm fresh. In fact, when I conducted the simple "floating" experiment, and placed each egg in a large glass filled with water, the eggs FLOATED ... as if they were Olympic swimmers! Sheesh!

79282718119c2650dd1a79c45c2cac2a.jpg

Next time, I might bring a glass of water with me! Or, I'll start "shaking" each egg before I purchase the eggs.

Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
After ~8 years of driving with no incident, I came very close to getting into my first car accident today.

As I was driving me and my little sister to lunch and we started to exit the intersection to make a left turn into the entrance, I just completely blanked out and overshot it, heading into the incoming lane of traffic and a telephone pole. I didn't even realize what was happening until my sister yelled at me; thankfully there were no cars coming then, so I was able to correct myself and get us out of there before hitting anything and all was fine. But I'm still really shaken up about it.

I have no idea what happened. I've had a pretty bad headache that's had me out of sorts all day but I feel like I must have 100% zoned out during that turn. If I didn't have a passenger, I don't know if I would have been able to fix it in time. I'm really hoping that it was just a one-time momentary lapse of judgement and not something more serious. And then I think about how, if there had been someone in that other lane, I could have potentially hurt or even killed them... ugh.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much but I'm driving to and from Ames tomorrow (~8 hours total)... and now I'm (probably needlessly) nervous about it.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds really scary Sandstorm, I'm sorry :(
I've only been driving for about a year so I'm still really nervous in unfamiliar places, and ive been driving around a lot to look at furniture today so that has me all stressed. And then I was backing out of a parking spot earlier and just when I was about perpendicular to it and ready to shift into drive a truck starting pulling out of the spot behind me, super fast, and he had plants in the bed so he couldn't see out of his rear window. Seriously came within a foot of slamming into my passenger side before he finally heard my horn and I zipped out of there. Now I have a headache.

The Eggs Were NOT Fresh and the Rest of the Eggs in the Carton did NOT 'Fess Up!

I wanted to purchase a dozen farm FRESH organic chicken eggs ... you know "really fresh" eggs - that is, organic eggs that haven't been in refrigeration for the past 7 days, or longer.

I found an egg farmer who insisted all of his chicken eggs are fresh ... you know ... as if each egg exited the hen's feathery caboose within the past 24 hours. Swoosh! The farmer looked like a "farmer" - he was wearing blue coveralls, floppy hat and dusty boots. I didn't examine the carton of eggs ... instead, I placed the egg carton in my bag, and took them home.

So far, every "farm fresh" egg has NOT been farm fresh. In fact, when I conducted the simple "floating" experiment, and placed each egg in a large glass filled with water, the eggs FLOATED ... as if they were Olympic swimmers! Sheesh!

Next time, I might bring a glass of water with me! Or, I'll start "shaking" each egg before I purchase the eggs.

Thank you!

715201607271458787.jpg

Reactions: 8 users
After ~8 years of driving with no incident, I came very close to getting into my first car accident today.

As I was driving me and my little sister to lunch and we started to exit the intersection to make a left turn into the entrance, I just completely blanked out and overshot it, heading into the incoming lane of traffic and a telephone pole. I didn't even realize what was happening until my sister yelled at me; thankfully there were no cars coming then, so I was able to correct myself and get us out of there before hitting anything and all was fine. But I'm still really shaken up about it.

I have no idea what happened. I've had a pretty bad headache that's had me out of sorts all day but I feel like I must have 100% zoned out during that turn. If I didn't have a passenger, I don't know if I would have been able to fix it in time. I'm really hoping that it was just a one-time momentary lapse of judgement and not something more serious. And then I think about how, if there had been someone in that other lane, I could have potentially hurt or even killed them... ugh.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much but I'm driving to and from Ames tomorrow (~8 hours total)... and now I'm (probably needlessly) nervous about it.

I'm so glad you are both ok! One time I pulled out in front of a car (it was at night and they had a headlight out so
I didn't see them ). I had my husband, step-son, and sister-in-law in the car with me. Both cars avoided each other, but we were all so shaken up. I felt so guilty/sad and angry.

Have a goodnight sleep tonight and take some deep breaths. You are both ok and well. I can empathize with how you feel...it is scary thinking of the what-ifs. But don't beat yourself up. It is in the past and no one was hurt.

Hugs

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Eeeeeep!!!! Take care!!!

I think there are...or at least there used to be very recently

That's because you're not looking for stethoscopes in hottest pink. It's the newest color and all the rage.
You guys lie! Lol

I can find rose pink but it only comes in the Littman classic, and the cardio III only comes in raspberry (which I have. It's ok) and coral, Blech.

You guys lie! Lol

I can find rose pink but it only comes in the Littman classic, and the cardio III only comes in raspberry (which I have. It's ok) and coral, Blech.
As soon as I have internet on something other than a phone, I will find what we mean. They definitely had the do cardio 3 in a very bright pink (that was none of the pinks you listed). I know 2 people that have it

Members don't see this ad :)
How prefect would that be if I could trade out the bell from my cardio III?

(I'm realizing I sound like a freaking spoiled child. I apologize!)

You've all got me looking at Littmanns now :p I really like the hunter green one!

Of course, I won't even need a stethoscope until next year, and I'll probably get a crappy one for school.

You've all got me looking at Littmanns now :p I really like the hunter green one!

Of course, I won't even need a stethoscope until next year, and I'll probably get a crappy one for school.
I personally say invest in one for your clinical year but that's totally just my opinion. I know for sure others disagree.

I personally say invest in one for your clinical year but that's totally just my opinion. I know for sure others disagree.
Oh yeah, I just know my school requires one for first year and there's no way a good stethoscope is going to improve my sure to be terrible auscultation skills by much.

I'll think on getting a better one for clinical year, though I also tend to lose things easily.

Oh yeah, I just know my school requires one for first year and there's no way a good stethoscope is going to improve my sure to be terrible auscultation skills by much.

I'll think on getting a better one for clinical year, though I also tend to lose things easily.
I've honestly heard from the cardiologists here that the cardio III might be too sensitive for people with normal hearing because normal heat sounds can get over interpreted as abnormal. But again, that's only 2 vets opinion.

Just food for thought in saying that "better"/more expensive isn't necessarily better. :)

Thank you!
That is sooo not right. Whenever I sell eggs, if I have any question of age, those are the ones that stay in my house. I used to actually write dates on eggs I was sure of so I knew any blank ones stayed home and if people wanted eggs to boil, I could get them ones that were 7- 10 days in so they could actually peel them.

And in the summer, I do put eggs in the fridge. Too hot and eggs go bad faster. They are fine at standard room temp for weeks, but 90 degree dry days on a sunny counter... no!

But, currently I only have 5 adult layers, not 100 so none of the measures are necessary. We eat through eggs way too fast.

I love Lupes, but I disagree with her on this. I'd wait until <after> your clinical year to get a nicer one. By then you'll have had a great chance to start really learning how to use one well, and you'll have had a chance to swing through the various rotations (*cough*Cardiology*cough*) where you can try some better ones and figure out which ones really fit your ears well and sound better to you.

That said, I had my Cardio III from day 1 of school, and I still love it. They'll rip it out my my cold, dead fingers. Need to redo the tubing on it - sometime in the last few months it cracked. I put a hemostat through the diaphragm a year or two ago (Lit fixed that one for free).

I love Lupes, but I disagree with her on this. I'd wait until <after> your clinical year to get a nicer one. By then you'll have had a great chance to start really learning how to use one well, and you'll have had a chance to swing through the various rotations (*cough*Cardiology*cough*) where you can try some better ones and figure out which ones really fit your ears well and sound better to you.

That said, I had my Cardio III from day 1 of school, and I still love it. They'll rip it out my my cold, dead fingers. Need to redo the tubing on it - sometime in the last few months it cracked. I put a hemostat through the diaphragm a year or two ago (Lit fixed that one for free).
I was the one that said it ;)

But yeah I definitely see where you're coming from and I've totally heard many, many people with this opinion.

This is totally personal for me, I'm glad to have a good scope to practice with during school.

Whenever I sell eggs, if I have any question of age, those are the ones that stay in my house. But, currently I only have 5 adult layers, not 100 so none of the measures are necessary. We eat through eggs way too fast.
Your eggs sound egg-stra delicious. I should come to your home to purchase eggs! At least your eggs are truly "fresh" eggs.

Last edited:
This is a petty rant, but I'm so sick of seeing on my Facebook news feed that one of my friends has "liked" that two people I don't know are in a relationship/engaged/married. I don't know if this is a recent thing or if I'm just noticing it more lately, but it really clogs up my news feed, and makes me do a double take each time to figure out why I'm seeing a post about strangers. And there doesn't seem to be a way to hide these types of posts. :sour:

This is a petty rant, but I'm so sick of seeing on my Facebook news feed that one of my friends has "liked" that two people I don't know are in a relationship/engaged/married. I don't know if this is a recent thing or if I'm just noticing it more lately, but it really clogs up my news feed, and makes me do a double take each time to figure out why I'm seeing a post about strangers. And there doesn't seem to be a way to hide these types of posts. :sour:
Oh, I always get frustrated by these posts just because I'm bitter and single lol

Mr. Dubz's news feed is almost entirely people he knows liking posts by people he doesn't know. It's so weird, I almost never see posts like that. In the little drop down next to the post there isn't a "hide posts like this" or similar option? Or maybe there's something buried in the main settings about it.

haha. I am in the camp that you get a lower cost while in school and find out what your preference is through clinics, then buy a nice one when you have a handle on what to listen for. :borg:

I got the veterinary Master Classic II. We're required to have a stethoscope first semester here, so I figured I'd just buy one of the relatively cheap ones and then upgrade during clinics to a Cardio or something else if I find that I really need to and/or it somehow breaks or gets lost before then.

My inpatient coded today as the owners were on their way in to visit and most likely euthanize. I feel horrible and like I missed something. Being a baby vet is rough.

Apparently this is common in the cardioIII.

Interesting. I wonder why? Do they use different tubing for it than their other scopes?

Or is it a statistical bias (i.e. Popular scope, so it just seems like it cracks more than others)?

Mine gets used pretty hard on ER work. Thrown all over the place.

Also waiting to see if I get a ticket from a camera at an intersection tonight. It totally went off even though I didn't run the light. I just might have stopped a little later than I should.

Everyone around me is telling me it's time to euthanize my dog. My head knows they are probably right and I'll probably end up doing so in the next couple of weeks, but my heart just isn't ready. This is agonizing, and it's been a horrible day. I wish somebody else could make these decisions because I can't stop tearing up long enough to think rationally.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone around me is telling me it's time to euthanize my dog. My head knows they are probably right and I'll probably end up doing so in the next couple of weeks, but my heart just isn't ready. This is agonizing, and it's been a horrible day. I wish somebody else could make these decisions because I can't stop tearing up long enough to think rationally.

Wait, what dog? N? Why??

:(

Sorry, love. :( hughughughug