RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know if there's an active shooter, but the hospital where my dad works is locked down due to threats of gun violence. We have very little information about what's going on; all I know is that he's sheltering in his office and that there's a swat team on the scene.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone around me is telling me it's time to euthanize my dog. My head knows they are probably right and I'll probably end up doing so in the next couple of weeks, but my heart just isn't ready. This is agonizing, and it's been a horrible day. I wish somebody else could make these decisions because I can't stop tearing up long enough to think rationally.
Very sorry! I wish I could say something profound to ease your sadness and anguish. There are no words; there never are any words. Kindly know that I am near you in kindness, compassion and spirit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know if there's an active shooter, but the hospital where my dad works is locked down due to threats of gun violence. We have very little information about what's going on; all I know is that he's sheltering in his office and that there's a swat team on the scene.

Omg
I hope everyone is safe and that they apprehended the bad guy(s).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Everyone around me is telling me it's time to euthanize my dog. My head knows they are probably right and I'll probably end up doing so in the next couple of weeks, but my heart just isn't ready. This is agonizing, and it's been a horrible day. I wish somebody else could make these decisions because I can't stop tearing up long enough to think rationally.

Sending lots of hugs your way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

:( I'm sorry

Everything okay? Hope so.

Reactions: 1 user
My inpatient coded today as the owners were on their way in to visit and most likely euthanize. I feel horrible and like I missed something. Being a baby vet is rough.
It's unlikely you did something wrong or missed something, unfortunately this happens sometimes. I wish I could say that eventually you will stopdoubting and feeling bad when it happens, but it's part of what makes you human. We are programmed to find blame, and our personalities often dictate that it is some sort of fault of our own.

The breast cancer pink is the one I was referring to (that seems pretty bright to me! Haha)

I'm glad I had a good stethoscope in school, I feel like the consistency of swi,g the same high quality scope helped me form good hearing habits.

I also got a parking ticket today. It's only $20 but apparently you can't park on the streets of providence from 2am-5 am which is dumb. I'm going to see if I can fight it since I have out of state plates and the streets aren't marked.

Apparently my body doesn't want to enjoy food. Among a slew of other items, my food allergy testing today said I have a fairly strong allergy to milk/dairy. My favorite food is ice cream though! :(

Apparently I'm just a magnet for bad luck with cars/driving as of late. :mad:

Long story short, I was driving my sister to soccer camp this morning along a very narrow stretch of country road with multiple signs that say "No thru trucks". Guess what happened to be barreling down the road in the other lane? A huge box truck. Speeding. I had to compensate by slightly hanging to the right of the road... but I went a bit too far and lost my passenger side mirror to a sign.

I know mirrors aren't too expensive or difficult to replace, but I'm still upset. Partly because that truck shouldn't have been there in the first place and partly because I should have slowed down or pulled over until it had passed. I don't know why I thought I could squeeze through.

Seriously, I've been driving for ~8 years without so much as a scrape or even a ticket, and now suddenly this and that near accident from the other day...? What the hell is wrong with me!? Ugh. At least I made it to and from Ames yesterday without incident, I guess. :bang:

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a 100+ lb. dog's teeth scrape my hand because a client asked the doctor to trim his nails a little shorter after I had done it, and she quicked him. I stopped trimming where I stopped because the dog was getting reactive each time I got near the quick. He was telling me when to stop. So I stopped. But the client asked for it, so here we are. It's a good thing he wasn't fully invested in actually biting my fingers off and that I was fast in pulling my hand back, but it could've easily ended differently. :smack:

Sounds so very familiar. Fortunately for me I'm one of the people that left but my friends are struggling. They haven't replaced me yet and they cut hours, I'm not sure how anything gets dine. Quantity over quality according to the regional director though :rolleyes:

I wouldn't wish this on anyone. It sucks.

I've been trying to communicate with my boss and help her realize what's going on. I also didn't realize how much I'd been working until I got my pay check this week. I've worked 99.6 hours in the past two weeks. I'm supposed to be at 30 hours a week. This is so not okay.

And my boss is like, "Well at least you get lots of overtime pay!" :mad:

She also promised she'd schedule interviews for today, which didn't happen. Right now I'm the only employee that's been there longer than 2 months and I'm the only one who knows how anything works. I've been fantasizing about quitting, but I'm depending on my boss to resubmit her letter for me, so this would be a really crappy time to leave. But I'm just so frustrated with this entire situation and I should not have have to work 70+ more hours every pay period than I'm originally scheduled for.

And on top of everything else, the vet who holds us all together is gone for 3.5 weeks. We're a two-vet practice and the non-owner is the most awesome woman. There are a lot of reasons that my boss is really difficult to work with, and the other vet is a huge part of what keeps us all here. If she wasn't around I'm pretty sure every single employee would have jumped ship weeks ago. And now we have my boss on, 24/7, for almost a month. She's already stressed to her eyebrows and I'm not looking forward to this. :bang:

I've been trying to communicate with my boss and help her realize what's going on. I also didn't realize how much I'd been working until I got my pay check this week. I've worked 99.6 hours in the past two weeks. I'm supposed to be at 30 hours a week. This is so not okay.

She also promised she'd schedule interviews for today, which didn't happen. Right now I'm the only employee that's been there longer than 2 months and I'm the only one who knows how anything works. I've been fantasizing about quitting, but I'm depending on my boss to resubmit her letter for me, so this would be a really crappy time to leave. But I'm just so frustrated with this entire situation and I should not have have to work 70+ more hours every pay period than I'm originally scheduled for.

And on top of everything else, the vet who holds us all together is gone for 3.5 weeks. We're a two-vet practice and the non-owner is the most awesome woman. There are a lot of reasons that my boss is really difficult to work with, and the other vet is a huge part of what keeps us all here. If she wasn't around I'm pretty sure every single employee would have jumped ship weeks ago. And now we have my boss on, 24/7, for almost a month. She's already stressed to her eyebrows and I'm not looking forward to this. :bang:

Ugh, that sucks so much :( I hope she starts hiring people and things get better soon.

Who is writing the letter, the difficult one or the great one that is gone for a bit? The great one seems like they would understand and write you a nice letter anyway. Is that not the case?

Who is writing the letter, the difficult one or the great one that is gone for a bit? The great one seems like they would understand and write you a nice letter anyway. Is that not the case?

My boss, the difficult one. She wrote it last year so she just has to resubmit it this year.

I'm going to turn in a conditional 2-weeks notice tomorrow. If we don't have two people hired within two weeks then I won't be able to work anymore. I can't do this indefinitely.

My boss, the difficult one. She wrote it last year so she just has to resubmit it this year.

I'm going to turn in a conditional 2-weeks notice tomorrow. If we don't have two people hired within two weeks then I won't be able to work anymore. I can't do this indefinitely.

Can you get her to submit it ASAP, and then turn in your resignation? I don't know how important her letter is, but I'd hate to see it negatively affect your application.

Are you sure she's writing you a good letter, by the way? She sounds a bit off and she seems like the kind of person who could submit a retaliatory letter if she gets upset, unfortunately. :(

I'm sorry your work is like this right now. If you're in Washington unfortunately there don't seem to be any labor laws that they are breaking by having you work so much overtime, but if it's been communicated so clearly to your boss you should definitely consider things like your conditional two weeks notice or having other vet techs walk out with you until a new person is hired. It's not cool to overwork your staff the way she is, and I bet the reason she hasn't hired anybody yet is because you all are still working and she doesn't feel like there's a real deficit despite everyone complaining about being overworked.

Also, in some cases it may actually be cheaper to pay overtime than to hire a new person. If your boss is the practice owner you may consider the fact that she might be stringing you all along because she figured it would be cheaper. Either way, it sucks and working nearly double your scheduled hours in overtime sucks.

I can ask our other vet for a letter if it comes that. I know she understands and would write me one. She was very reluctant to leave on vacation with everything that's going on. But I think my boss likes me enough that she would hire new people once she knows that my job is on the line.

The two people who started at the beginning of the summer are also ready to quit. It doesn't help that she's been taking crap to me about every other employee she has, even though they work so hard for her. She's building the perfect little storm here and if something doesn't change, I'm done.

We're in Idaho, I'm not sure what labor laws say. I do know that I'm not required to give notice at all, but my mom talked me down from doing that. ;)

I feel like the other vet would potentially write you a more honest evaluation and that it would be very positive. Why cling to the evaluation from the boss person just because it was submitted before? I mean, you didn't get in last time. Unless someone said something like, "but wow, that one letter of rec was great" - you have no reason to be so attached to it.

I mean, everyone applying has to understand that you (they, I mean any applicant) needs at least one person writing a letter, especially a veterinarian, who is willing to straight up go to bat for you. To really put it all out there. With all the letters the committees read, you better believe they know when someone is being earnest. You really need that. Is boss vet really worth fighting for vs. other vet? I mean, I don't know, these are your people. You need to think about it for yourself.

Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for all of your support and advice, everyone. I'm really glad I can vent here and have your help to think things through more clearly.

I'm going to give a conditional two-weeks notice tomorrow. I'm also going to tell my boss that I can't go into overtime any more. I can give her 40 hours a week, but not more. If she doesn't fill our vacant positions then I'm going to leave and ask the other doctor to write my letter.

Reactions: 1 users
Got kicked in the head by a cow. Gonna have to say that I don't recommend it.

Reactions: 3 users
Dairy or beef? Cow/bull/steer/calf? (Idle curiosity, feel free to kick me in the head)

My Skype interview is in less than 40 minutes....I'm trying not to hyperventilate....:lurking::lurking:
You've got this in the bag, Kaydubs! Best of luck for the interview! All appendages crossed for you... :xf::luck:

Dairy or beef? Cow/bull/steer/calf? (Idle curiosity, feel free to kick me in the head)

Haha. Dairy. Holstein. Early lactation. Pretty much saw this coming. She's a snot. But I still won because as of yet she hasn't killed me.;)

Last edited:
Got kicked in the head by a cow. Gonna have to say that I don't recommend it.

I got kicked in the face by my horse a few years back. I had a nice black eye. Also got trampled once and he stepped straight on my spine in the small of my back. 0/10 would not recommend either of those ideas.

I got kicked in the face by my horse a few years back. I had a nice black eye. Also got trampled once and he stepped straight on my spine in the small of my back. 0/10 would not recommend either of those ideas.

The one day in my life I have absolutely no memory of was courtesy of a horse, so I totally understand.
Work with large prey animals they said. It'll be fun they said.:smack:

2 baby rants
While I was pulling weeds the trash guys came by and I forgot to put my can out.
While I was pulling weeds and I got swarmed by ants on one of them and one of the ants bit me and it hurts and it's swelling

2 baby rants
While I was pulling weeds the trash guys came by and I forgot to put my can out.
While I was pulling weeds and I got swarmed by ants on one of them and one of the ants bit me and it hurts and it's swelling
Can you call the trash company? We do that when we've forgotten to put our can out and theyre pretty good about sending a truck out to get it

2 baby rants
I hate ant bites. I got a ton of them all over my legs at a hoarder's house once and I thought I had caught the plague or super lice or something

2 baby rants

Speaking of baby rants.

I'm sick of all the dumb cutesy **** that people put on Facebook to announce they are pregnant. Like little pairs of shoes with numbers on them and a "guess what lol omg" and stuff like that. Great, you're knocked up again. Congratulations, you are succeeding at one of the most basic functions a normal human female can perform. To me that's a personal and family announcement,not something you dress up and plaster all over FB for affirmation and likes.

Reactions: 4 users
I should just stop trying to cook things. Burned a pan really bad (finally got that clean today), can't flip a crepe to save my life, and now I've got oil all up in my oven because of overflowing Yorkshire pudding. I can't win!

I should just stop trying to cook things. Burned a pan really bad (finally got that clean today), can't flip a crepe to save my life, and now I've got oil all up in my oven because of overflowing Yorkshire pudding. I can't win!
Amazing. Once my sister mistook sugar for flour and made a crazy banana bread that melted in the oven. I have also had my fair share of cooking problems, especially with cookies.

It's all trial and error though, you'll get it sorted with enough practice making those dishes! The nice thing is that cooking is an art, so you have some leeway here and there.

Baking, on the other hand, is a science and is unforgiving. ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Oh my god I haven't had yorkshire pudding in years. Come bake me some. I'm not allowed to bake things, I can't be trusted to follow a recipe to save my own skin.

Oh my god I haven't had yorkshire pudding in years. Come bake me some. I'm not allowed to bake things, I can't be trusted to follow a recipe to save my own skin.
I'm notoriously anal about following recipes! But either my muffin tin is smaller than what the recipe was made with or I'm not good at visualizing what 1/4 of each muffin cup is :thinking:

I love cooking. But baking is the worst for me. If I have the freedom to cook without a recipe I'm golden. Following a recipe for baking somehow always turns into a disaster.