RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is on Netflix and I haven't heard of it? Obviously I have done summer wrong. I have watched most of Emergency though, with Gage and DeSoto, the cuties.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Because there's nowhere in my real life I can vent about this...

I have this bad habit of acquiring horses. Only one at a time, and I never pay for them. I have good friends that let me use a stall and only pay for feed so the housing is not all that expensive for me. My first horse was given to me by a good friend, he was amazing, and he never should have died but he had some random problem with his liver that we never managed to fix in spite of much vet bills. My second horse I took from someone I thought I could trust, but when I got her instead of the healthy horse I had known and was told she still was, I got a bag of bones. Couldn't fix her in spite of much money spent on veterinary bills, put her down.

So I was in the market for a project horse, just spend a couple thousand, have something decent to ride around the pasture on for the next 18 months and then sell it if I get into vet school. So why did I fall prey to the pleas of my best friend (<- there is the problem, it's the person who was pleading) to take a horse from her barn with a suspensory injury and give him more time off to see if he can become sound? Why would I do that? I said "nothing sick, nothing lame, nothing a rescue." And I signed a bill of sale for a lame horse once again. And I spent money on another lameness exam/ultrasound to see what we're looking at. But I work at the clinic so it's not as big an expense this time.

So clearly I have a problem. A mental problem. One that involves extremely large, expensive animals. One that will only get worse once I am a vet, I'm sure.

To update on Lion Horse:

So after a month of stall rest in which he attempted to destroy the stall, I got to move him outside to a 30x30 pen and start walking him under saddle. I was not stupid about assessing the situation as far as getting on his back. He was not crazy on his hand walks, he didn't go wild being in his pen, so I thought "This will go fine."

And I saddled up.

And before I even got my foot in the off side stirrup he took off bucking. Without having stirrups or even being settled in the saddle it's difficult to stay on a bucking horse. And he threw me harder than I have ever been thrown. As I sat up I got to watch my horse go trotting off on five acres on his broken legs.

As you can imagine, he wasn't exactly an endearing animal with the tearing apart the stall nonsense before this. This incident didn't help his case. Thankfully he's turned out to be moderately lazy so his walking under saddle has been mostly fine since then. I haven't dragged him up to the clinic for a recheck yet, but hopefully he's on the road to healing. It's been almost 3 months so it's about time.

Did I mention he has a passport? My broken horse is more prepared to travel than I am.

Members don't see this ad :)
I intermittently (for about 9 years) wake up really nauseous in the morning and it drives me crazy. Usually it occurs a week or two at a time. And yes, I am 100% certain I am not pregnant ;) I just don't understand what the mechanism behind this is, it's so weird.

My last year of undergrad also happens to be my brother's first. 8am on the first day of classes and I already got a frantic phone call because I told him not to buy his textbooks before class starts and now he's *convinced* he needs them NOW. Ugh. It's going to be a LONG year.

Reactions: 1 users
I intermittently (for about 9 years) wake up really nauseous in the morning and it drives me crazy. Usually it occurs a week or two at a time. And yes, I am 100% certain I am not pregnant ;) I just don't understand what the mechanism behind this is, it's so weird.
Same week or 2 of your cycle? The right hormones are still present, just not normally in th right ratios to cause nausea. You might be special.

Same week or 2 of your cycle? The right hormones are still present, just not normally in th right ratios to cause nausea. You might be special.
or it's not at all related to that.

I wake up with nausea almost every morning. There's some syndrome the GI talked to me about. On those mornings, I just take ondansetron and move on with my life.

Definitely the Zika.

Reactions: 2 users
My last year of undergrad also happens to be my brother's first. 8am on the first day of classes and I already got a frantic phone call because I told him not to buy his textbooks before class starts and now he's *convinced* he needs them NOW. Ugh. It's going to be a LONG year.
You can tell him that the Internet told him not to buy a single text until Friday of classes. His wallet will thank him.

You can tell him that the Internet told him not to buy a single text until Friday of classes. His wallet will thank him.
Been there, told him that. I'm not renting a single textbook this year...let alone buying one. What.a.waste.

Members don't see this ad :)
or it's not at all related to that.

I wake up with nausea almost every morning. There's some syndrome the GI talked to me about. On those mornings, I just take ondansetron and move on with my life.

It doesn't make you constipated? :eek: (rhetorical question, no answer required)

I wake up nauseated if I go to bed on an empty stomach

Me too. For the past few years. I'll go maybe a few months at a time sometimes between episodes, but then it lasts for about a week or two, just like what happens to you. The nausea starts to go away as the day goes on, but then I get nauseous all over again after each meal. It's the weirdest thing.

seriously. the best thing ever. I took it first for a food poisoning incident and it was amazing.
This might be a dumb thought, but wouldn't you want to puke up the food that caused food poisoning? Or was this a while later, meaning the vomiting was excessive at that point?

This might be a dumb thought, but wouldn't you want to puke up the food that caused food poisoning? Or was this a while later, meaning the vomiting was excessive at that point?
I was vomiting everything and had been for hours. Including water. I ended up at the ER for fluids because I couldn't keep anything down.

Not a dumb thought at all. Reality is slightly counter-intuitive.

Most commonly with food poisoning, it's not the ingestion of the bug that causes disease, it's ingestion of the toxin that they've already produced. By the time you start vomiting, it's mostly out of your stomach and into the rest of your GI tract, so you're not really going to "get more up" and reduce the toxin load by continuing to vomit. All you're doing at that point is losing fluid, which contributes to slower recovery, discomfort, and hypomotility. So stopping the vomiting is probably more beneficial than not (and obviously makes you more comfortable).

Yuck. Sorry.

The one time my family was on it we all had some sort of stomach bug and we're all vomiting every hour for about 12 -24 hours straight before we got ondansetron. It was our hero. Me and the kids definitely suffer the side effects though.

You know what really bites? I had an adhesion removed last year that was causing abdominal pain. And I had 6-8 months of no abdominal pain and it was glorious. I think the sucker is back. Really tired of it. nothing touches it, either

You know what really bites? I had an adhesion removed last year that was causing abdominal pain. And I had 6-8 months of no abdominal pain and it was glorious. I think the sucker is back. Really tired of it. nothing touches it, either
I hate gut pain. It makes me super grouchy. I've torn my intestines up pretty good because of how much they suck.

Sorry. I sympathize. :(

I am soooo sick of having nothing to do at work and staring at my coworkers waiting for the "boss" to decide if she wants to show up!

I want to work on my resume! I love SDN, it is the only thing even kinda keeping me sane.... but I think I've seen enough of you today. Sadly, I have another hour or so to just sit at the conference table and wait for her to show so I can watch her take my work away....

Resume being sent as soon as I get home!

LIS knows the magic.

Which tabs did you have, Dy? It comes as 4mg/8mg. I think the 4mg are typically dispensed, with the 8mg used for chemo patients and situations like that.

All I know is that I went from feeling nauseous and wanting to barf to eating a big sandwich 10 minutes after taking ondansetron. Miracle drug.

I got that stuff last year when I got some horrible foodbourne illness (doctors suspected Salmonella and then never tested me for it, very fun. I still kinda think it was just very horrible viral gastroenteritis but I'll never really know for sure) and I puked violently every time I walked more than ten feet for ~2 weeks. It was okay but didn't help as much as I hoped, but then again at the time I was also convinced that death had come for me and that nothing could save me. I lived off gatorade for pretty much that whole time frame.

Rant because all 3 of the cats in my BF's household are fat. But they don't want to put in effort to control their weight because it's too difficult to keep the cats from eating from each other's bowls.

I wasn't all that impressed with ondansetron for PONV or opioid-induced nausea after my surgery a few years back. I really wanted it to work so I could be simultaneously pain-free AND in and upright position. No such luck.

Which tabs did you have, Dy? It comes as 4mg/8mg. I think the 4mg are typically dispensed, with the 8mg used for chemo patients and situations like that.

All I know is that I went from feeling nauseous and wanting to barf to eating a big sandwich 10 minutes after taking ondansetron. Miracle drug.

4mg. I had the 8s for a bit when I was nauseated every say all say for months. But now I have a standing rx for 4 mg.

I think I remember having to make the choice between not vomiting and insane headaches when I was on it.
Not pooping is semi typical for me, so I don't think that mattered as much in my decision of whether to take it. I know a few times I decided nausea was better than the headache, but puking gave me a head ache too.

Out walking the dog tonight, and this aggressive creature comes flying up at us and starts attacking Sampson. Dog is lucky he is fluffy, all he walked away with was one superficial puncture in a fleshy spot on his chest. As the lady is apologizing to me (and I am getting her contact info) she tells me not to worry because she's a vet. I ask her where she works, and she says oh well she used to work for a vet a long time ago and now shes a dance instructor. WTF. Because those are the same things obviously. At least dog is fine. Brought him up to work in my own state of panic, my residentmate clipped and scrubbed him up and now he's got some carprofen and cefpo for the next week. Yay. Icing on the cake for today's suckiness. Started my morning by euthanizing one of our receptionists sweet dogs who probably had hemangiosarc. Ugh.

As the lady is apologizing to me (and I am getting her contact info) she tells me not to worry because she's a vet. I ask her where she works, and she says oh well she used to work for a vet a long time ago and now shes a dance instructor. WTF.

Lady: Oh, it's fine, because I'm a vet.
JMO: Really? Wow, me too! Where do you work?
Lady: Oh, uh. Well I used to be a vet. Work for a vet. Like ten years ago. I teach dance now...
JMO: ..... ?

Makes you wonder how she would have told it if you had just said, "oh wow, really?"

Lady: Oh, it's fine, because I'm a vet.
JMO: Really? Wow, me too! Where do you work?
Lady: Oh, uh. Well I used to be a vet. Work for a vet. Like ten years ago. I teach dance now...
JMO: ..... ?

Makes you wonder how she would have told it if you had just said, "oh wow, really?"

I totally would have played the "oh wow, really? that's cool. so you'll be able to fix my dog, right?" card, just to see how she reacted.

Reactions: 4 users
"Oh, hi, I'm a surgeon, and by surgeon I mean I wash dishes at Olive Garden"

Reactions: 10 users
I'm a spaghetti surgeon, this is really disrespectful to my profession tbh
wnIaRyJ.gif