RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
wnIaRyJ.gif
42dc45988cb86e61fae74676bcb3584d.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Got my first rabies vaccine today, and now my arm is really sore and I have a low-grade fever. :( At least I have the weekend to recover before classes start!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yanno, sometimes I think I really know how to be passive aggressive because I was pretty much trained in the art for my whole entire childhood. And then I remember my family.

Lol they are so lucky I live several states away from them, the verbal lashing they would all receive from me right now would be so intense they would burn up like they were flung directly into the center of the sun. Never in my life have I seen a pack of 50/60 years olds act as childish as they're acting now.

Yanno, sometimes I think I really know how to be passive aggressive because I was pretty much trained in the art for my whole entire childhood. And then I remember my family.

Lol they are so lucky I live several states away from them, the verbal lashing they would all receive from me right now would be so intense they would burn up like they were flung directly into the center of the sun. Never in my life have I seen a pack of 50/60 years olds act as childish as they're acting now.
:biglove::biglove:

Got sick within three days of class starting. Now I'm pretty sure it has turned into a sinus infection.

Got sick within three days of class starting. Now I'm pretty sure it has turned into a sinus infection.
Bummer. Being in the cramped people situation combined with pollen season here is usually a recipe for this. Feel better! :)

Also, Zyrtec is your friend in case you have seasonal allergies that you discover here. Or at least for me, it is a must.

Pretty sure my heifer just came into heat today.:( I'm going to throw her in the chute and check just in case, since she should be about 80 days in.

I don't think I can get to where my Swiss semen is stored, so I might give up and ask the neighbor if I can borrow a young Angus from across the road.

She's not as vocal as usual (for heat), but she jumped the fence and got nearly a mile down the road chasing the call of another female in heat. I rubbed her down when we got home and she keeps sniffing my hands and acting like she thinks I'm the one heat.:rolleyes:

None of these are really good signs. But :xf: it is still just a false heat in a heifer pregnancy.

I feel so guilty for feeling this way, but I've had to take care of my roomies dog every night this week by feeding her and letting her out. Since I've been on surgery this week I've been getting to work much earlier and getting home later and taking care of someone else's pet is the last thing I want to do when I have my own to take care of and need to prepare for work.

I feel bad cause she's helped me out with my dog at times so I feel like I should return the favor but she hadn't been really working at the time.

I think the main reason I don't want to do it is because her dog has zero leash manners and pulls like no other for a little pug. And I have a very low threshold for dogs with no leash manners (as well as idiots who have dogs off leash and no voice control over them at all). And I'm just tired.

And I've been having a fairly consistent, dull ache in my left hip. I sort of think my left hip flexor is just tight but it's been even bothering me at night. This is the same side I had a suspected stress fracture in back in high school. It doesn't feel the same way but it's annoying, especially when you're on your feet all day.

I feel so guilty for feeling this way, but I've had to take care of my roomies dog every night this week by feeding her and letting her out. Since I've been on surgery this week I've been getting to work much earlier and getting home later and taking care of someone else's pet is the last thing I want to do when I have my own to take care of and need to prepare for work.

I feel bad cause she's helped me out with my dog at times so I feel like I should return the favor but she hadn't been really working at the time.

I think the main reason I don't want to do it is because her dog has zero leash manners and pulls like no other for a little pug. And I have a very low threshold for dogs with no leash manners (as well as idiots who have dogs off leash and no voice control over them at all). And I'm just tired.
:scared: Oh man. This is always what I'm afraid of when people watch my dogs. I'm positive there are things they do that don't bother me in the slightest but would drive someone else up the wall. I'm always worried they won't spend the time with them because they are annoyed by them.

Members don't see this ad :)

I know that feel. We've been pet sitting for various family/friend/coworkers literally all summer. Currently farm sitting for a friend down the road and it's a lot of work. Ready for it just to be our one dog and small flock of chickens again. (That all being said, all of the same people have watched or helped with our animals at some point, so I can't complain too much.)

:scared: Oh man. This is always what I'm afraid of when people watch my dogs. I'm positive there are things they do that don't bother me in the slightest but would drive someone else up the wall. I'm always worried they won't spend the time with them because they are annoyed by them.

I feel bad that I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with her cause I literally come home, eat dinner and basically go to bed this past week. I sadly don't let her in my room cause she's peed on things 3 times in there and also currently has a UTI and she would terrorize my guinea pigs.

I can tolerate some pulling but she is pretty bad for as small of a dog she is. Like constantly trying to pull you into the street.

And I can't (or i wont i should say...technically could...)walk my dog and hers together due to her dog's pulling and barking at all the things. And my guy can be reactive towards dogs on leash and since we've been working on it a lot, I try to not to put him situations where he'll fail, which he would if I had to focus on her as well.

I feel bad that I haven't been able to spend a lot of time with her cause I literally come home, eat dinner and basically go to bed this past week. I sadly don't let her in my room cause she's peed on things 3 times in there and also currently has a UTI and she would terrorize my guinea pigs.

I can tolerate some pulling but she is pretty bad for as small of a dog she is. Like constantly trying to pull you into the street.

And I can't (or i wont i should say...technically could...)walk my dog and hers together due to her dog's pulling and barking at all the things. And my guy can be reactive towards dogs on leash and since we've been working on it a lot, I try to not to put him situations where he'll fail, which he would if I had to focus on her as well.
Oh lady! I wasn't trying to say you weren't doing the best job you can. And I know a huge factor is how busy you are. I was mostly thinking about how my dogs are SUPER annoying when they go outside to go potty. They don't just go outside and go, they have to meander and think about the perfect spot for freaking ever. And in the past people that have come to let them out and me a text "they didn't pee again today". And then I come home to pee in the house.
I know you're doing the best you can, and they wouldn't be allowed in my room if they peed on my stuff either.

Oh lady! I wasn't trying to say you weren't doing the best job you can. And I know a huge factor is how busy you are. I was mostly thinking about how my dogs are SUPER annoying when they go outside to go potty. They don't just go outside and go, they have to meander and think about the perfect spot for freaking ever. And in the past people that have come to let them out and me a text "they didn't pee again today". And then I come home to pee in the house.
I know you're doing the best you can, and they wouldn't be allowed in my room if they peed on my stuff either.

Oh I know you werent saying anything against me. Was just mentioning that I feel bad about the situation all around. I feel bad for my own dog too right now. On days with more abbreviated walks, he totally has just flopped over in the grass/on the sidewalk in protest to going back inside. I may look into a dog walker soon, but need to find someone who will at least attempt to reinforce our training.

Oh I know you werent saying anything against me. Was just mentioning that I feel bad about the situation all around. I feel bad for my own dog too right now. On days with more abbreviated walks, he totally has just flopped over in the grass/on the sidewalk in protest to going back inside. I may look into a dog walker soon, but need to find someone who will at least attempt to reinforce our training.
I completely understand. I can't get home midday to let them out most days and girly dog is in steriods and pu/pd so can't make it that long. Finding people who can come be patient to let them out is killing me (even when I pay it's hard to find someone).

Right now I'm stressing about my externship in a month. Girly isn't healing that lesion very quickly and has to be flushed and bandaged q12 and is on a million medications so I'm freaking out. The boy is going to stay with them, and I trust him, but it still scares me. He wasn't going to because he'll be on one of the busier rotations but she's too complex for a regular sitter

And for all of my love of my chickens, I come home today to find one of my big pots of flowers completely dug up and shredded on the upper deck :( Really, chicken, you have 1.5 acres to do whatever you want in and you choose to come up and ruin the one pot outside the window?! :yeahright:

Reactions: 5 users
Ugh. Today was just a super frustrating day from a work standpoint and of course as the intern, I feel like I dealt with a lot of backlash from it. Just various communications that kind of fell through the cracks. And of course it's a super sensitive type of situation and just kind of sucks all around.

That feeling when you're 99% sure you own something but just can't find it, but you know the minute you buy a replacement, you'll find the old one...

Reactions: 3 users
I am 1000% fed up with my living situation. I feel like my dreams lately are trying to tell me something. Last night I dreamed that I texted my roommate that I needed to talk to her about something important. When I woke up this morning, it was to a 4 month old puppy shrieking in pain from a bark collar placed on him. I can't stand hearing him howl and scream like that, it is truly awful. Bark collars have no place in training a puppy, EVER. I have been afraid to talk to my roommate about him because this is her boyfriends puppy (who I am terrified of that he will harm someone, like her or myself). It is not a good situation at all. The puppy was only supposed to be at my place temporarily until her boyfriend moved into his new dog friendly apartment in the beginning of July, then it turned into an additional two weeks, and now it is towards the end of August and he is STILL HERE. Sitting in a kennel for 20 hours a day (no exaggeration).
Another reason I've been so hesitant to talk to her is that my girlfriend has been living with me (rent free) with her dog staying at my place (who doesn't cause any problems and is quiet 98% of the time). I don't want her to bring that up and pull 'Well, she's living her with her dog so why is this a problem?'
I hate roommate drama, but this has gone too far and I'm fed up. I hate being at home with her now, our friendship has been so strained since this summer...

Maybe you need to have a heart-to-heart with her about her boyfriend? In a way that says 'this is what I see' to try to keep her from getting defensive. If your friendship is on it's last leg then what have you got to lose?

Why don't you anonymously request a wellness check by animal services?

Reactions: 2 users
Note to self: Do NOT look up the slander and lies that a beagle group is perpetuating about your university that is complete and utter garbage to get funds. You will only get upset and want to punch something :punch::rage::punch:.

Note to self: Do NOT look up the slander and lies that a beagle group is perpetuating about your university that is complete and utter garbage to get funds. You will only get upset and want to punch something :punch::rage::punch:.
Tbh I think it's best to avoid reading things from most rescue groups unless you know them. A lot of smaller rescues are basically run by people who want an ego boost for their savior complexes, in my experience. It's frustrating that the rescue world is rife with so many malicious people, especially when there are so many others in the same rescue organization community who aren't like that at all.

Obviously they're not all like that, but just enough of them have been that it makes me wary of rescues until I meet the people involved with the organization. And that's not even getting into the rescues who are pretty much animal hoarders.

Tbh I think it's best to avoid reading things from most rescue groups unless you know them. A lot of smaller rescues are basically run by people who want an ego boost for their savior complexes, in my experience. It's frustrating that the rescue world is rife with so many malicious people, especially when there are so many others in the same rescue organization community who aren't like that at all.

Obviously they're not all like that, but just enough of them have been that it makes me wary of rescues until I meet the people involved with the organization. And that's not even getting into the rescues who are pretty much animal hoarders.
I completely agree, but someone posted it on our CVM's main page to try to bash all of us and then we had a mass email about it, explaining why it was all false/slander. So it was hard to avoid, but I made the mistake of reading some of the comments, which was full of ignorance and hate (someone said all of us at the vet school should be tortured, etc). And to think it was all based on complete lies too.. ugh

I completely agree, but someone posted it on our CVM's main page to try to bash all of us and then we had a mass email about it, explaining why it was all false/slander. So it was hard to avoid, but I made the mistake of reading some of the comments, which was full of ignorance and hate (someone said all of us at the vet school should be tortured, etc). And to think it was all based on complete lies too.. ugh
Oh my God, I'm sorry but I find that kind of hilarious. Some people really have no sense of irony when they talk about how all souls are precious (but only the fluffy ones) and want veterinarians and veterinary staff lynched for pretty much anything.

We have a lot of crazy local rescues where I'm at and our employees would pretty routinely get death threats from them. I feel bad for our shelter director, as I know for a fact that he fields like a hundred crazy emails a day from these people. It's great because most of them have never even stepped foot in our facilities but feel comfortable comparing us to Auschwitz and calling us murderers etc.

I think it's an unfortunate reality of the profession that you will encounter people who are intimately involved in caring for animals but have a huge distrust of doctors and modern medicine in general and also a tendency to leap to conclusions about how reality works. Personally I got used to it - you try to educate where you can and accept when people don't want to listen.

Tbh I think it's best to avoid reading things from most rescue groups unless you know them.

Amen. There are a couple rescues that I like working with because they do a great job of drawing the line between good husbandry and calling in a vet for medical problems. Sure, they'll do sq fluids and crap like that, but frankly, I'm ok with it. Their funds are tight, they're trying to do what they can and make the most of it, and they generally do a decent job of knowing when it's time to get professional help.

But for every rescue like that there are 10 other "rescues" that make me want to beat my head against a wall.

Amen. There are a couple rescues that I like working with because they do a great job of drawing the line between good husbandry and calling in a vet for medical problems. Sure, they'll do sq fluids and crap like that, but frankly, I'm ok with it. Their funds are tight, they're trying to do what they can and make the most of it, and they generally do a decent job of knowing when it's time to get professional help.

But for every rescue like that there are 10 other "rescues" that make me want to beat my head against a wall.
Oh the stories I could tell about rescues who think they can just do whatever they want with no repercussions. We once got into an argument with a rescue who insisted that they could order rabies vaccines themselves and give them under no veterinary supervision whatsoever, which... is not how that works. At all.

Another rescue told us we were evil for euthanizing a GSD we couldn't provide adequate pain control to, because they've worked with GSDs for years and knew for a fact "that breed can't feel pain". I would be loathe to see the state of the animals in their care.

I'm in a corg group (for the cute fluffbutt photos of course) and someone today suggested lavender oil + some bullsh*t for hot spots. Yeah, okay.
Have you ever seen the people who put citronella oil on their dogs for fleas? I've seen some bad skin issues from it before. I'm not sure why everyone thinks oil is so magical.

Oh the stories I could tell about rescues who think they can just do whatever they want with no repercussions. We once got into an argument with a rescue who insisted that they could order rabies vaccines themselves and give them under no veterinary supervision whatsoever, which... is not how that works. At all.

Another rescue told us we were evil for euthanizing a GSD we couldn't provide adequate pain control to, because they've worked with GSDs for years and knew for a fact "that breed can't feel pain". I would be loathe to see the state of the animals in their care.

Meh. That sort of stuff isn't just rescues. It's breeders and owners. It is literally a daily part of this business. Better start getting used to it. :)

Meh. That sort of stuff isn't just rescues. It's breeders and owners. It is literally a daily part of this business. Better start getting used to it. :)
I sort of figured, I commented on rescues specifically since I have more experience working with rescues than with individual owners and/or breeders.

I'm in a corg group (for the cute fluffbutt photos of course) and someone today suggested lavender oil + some bullsh*t for hot spots. Yeah, okay.
My future in-laws found some similar "natural" spray recipe to use for one of their dogs. I kinda looked at it to make sure it wasn't toxic, asked what their vet had recommended (they hadn't taken her in yet), and then rolled my eyes internally. They were convinced it had worked after the first application but lo and behold a day later she was as itchy as ever. She's on apoquel now :D All that to say, people believe things they read on the internet way too much...

Have you ever seen the people who put citronella oil on their dogs for fleas? I've seen some bad skin issues from it before. I'm not sure why everyone thinks oil is so magical.
I dogsat for my landlady a couple years ago and that's what she used, every time they went outside. She also fed raw occasionally and when she didn't do that cooked rabbit, potatoes, and lima beans for them. That was quite the dogsitting experience...

Had an owner once say they take care of their own rabies vaccine because they go to Tractor Supply for all their horse and dog stuff. Yeah, okay, sure you do.

Reactions: 1 users
I know exactly the group you are talking about and the founder is pretty much a criminal. There is another group, I think it's homes for animal heroes, and they are really good. They have a face book page you should check out. They came about because they wanted to campaign against that other beagle group.

You can definitely buy vaccines (including rabies) at some feed stores around here. You can also order vaccines online easily. Normally I've just seen it with sketchy breeders, but the occasional owner would ask about it.

She said she didn't have any vaccine records and declined a rabies vaccine because "I do it myself and get the vaccines from Tractor Supply." They do clinics and they do sell distemper vaccines in the stores in that area for people to administer to their own pets, but that lady specifically said she did rabies herself. The doctor asked again to make sure she didn't mean just distemper, and she insisted she did rabies, too. I remember because it was really bizarre, and the doctor was pretty annoyed.

You can definitely buy vaccines (including rabies) at some feed stores around here. You can also order vaccines online easily. Normally I've just seen it with sketchy breeders, but the occasional owner would ask about it.

Wow, I had no idea you could buy rabies vaccines online or in stores. I was told it was illegal (by people in NY). Apparently it's possible to buy them in VA, but the doctor I worked with who saw that client insisted it wasn't. Seems pointless to go that route anyway.

See, I learn something new every time I come on here. Thanks, guys. :D

Wow, I had no idea you could buy rabies vaccines online or in stores. I was told it was illegal (by people in NY). Apparently it's possible to buy them in VA, but the doctor I worked with who saw that client insisted it wasn't. Seems pointless to go that route anyway.

See, I learn something new every time I come on here. Thanks, guys. :D

It probably varies by state :)

Like lupin said, when we would occasionally see it happen (generally some first time cat owner would come in with their fancy special breed kitten with a piece of paper that had a bunch of vaccine stickers and dates scribbled on by the breeder), we'd tell clients that vaccines are only guaranteed when given by a vet hospital. We'd make a note of it in the record, but wouldn't put them as being vaccinated. Most people had no idea and were very understanding and would choose to revaccinate. Occasionally someone would get mad about it, but more at the breeder who told them it was okay than us.

Edit: jk, it looks like you can't easily by rabies online in most states. I know there was a store by the S&N clinic I volunteered at that you could buy rabies at, but that may not have been super legal. Knowing the area though, wouldn't surprise me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
The vaccine clinics at feed stores that I have seen are still run by local veterinarians, just not in the usual location and normally at a reduced fee. I don't see the point to a vaccine clinic otherwise but maybe I am biased by my experience?

I have seen clients that "buy rabies online or from their horse vet but give it themselves" and I want to call their horse vet and ream them every time... but part of me thinks... we have rabies in the area... maybe the client basically said this was the only way they would vaccinate their dogs and cats.... despite the fact that they have Fido here now and the vaccine is not legal... maybe it will at least save a life... maybe.

She said she didn't have any vaccine records and declined a rabies vaccine because "I do it myself and get the vaccines from Tractor Supply." They do clinics and they do sell distemper vaccines in the stores in that area for people to administer to their own pets, but that lady specifically said she did rabies herself. The doctor asked again to make sure she didn't mean just distemper, and she insisted she did rabies, too. I remember because it was really bizarre, and the doctor was pretty annoyed.

Meh, I don't get too annoyed about this type of stuff anymore. I'll explain the things they should hear to them, then let the owners do what they will. I'm not changing a made up mind.

What annoys me more are clients that actively ignore me or those that stop meds or don't do something I've recommended then come back telling me their pet isn't better.... well, maybe you should do what I said, like really, you should try it, maybe, possibly.

Nope still annoys me. Several of the feed stores don't store them well and I've seen more than 1 failure with a client who doesn't want to hear it. The feed stores here don't have vets for vaccine clinics and the employees feel like they should be given honorary dvms.

They then try to accuse vets of being money hungry but the cost of vaccines at the feed store aren't much less.

It all contributes to the erosion of trust

Reactions: 3 users