RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So a couple of weeks ago my apartment had fleas bad. Just before, I visited my BF. So I texted him and his mom as a warning and offered to pay half for a preventative for all three of their cats in case I had accidentally carried eggs or something in my clothes. They both declined.

BF just texted me "Sassy has a ton of fleas and we don't know"
:boom:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just when I thought this week couldn't get any crappier.... I find out my patient from Tuesday tested positive for rabies. Is it a full moon? I'm not sure 2.5 days off is going to be a long enough break.

I really want to adopt one of our research beagles :love:

We fostered one for a while. He was the sweetest thing. I mean ok, he wasn't the easiest...house training and separation anxiety and all that. But that dog was seriously one of the most loving animals I have ever had. He would crawl into bed and sleep with you and you could hold him like a teddy bear.

Reactions: 2 users
Apparently the only way to get post exposure treatment, even with no bites or scratches, is to sit at the ER. Lovely way to spend my afternoon off. If I threaten to bite people will that move me up the list?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Apparently the only way to get post exposure treatment, even with no bites or scratches, is to sit at the ER. Lovely way to spend my afternoon off. If I threaten to bite people will that move me up the list?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile
Bite bite BITE!!!! :vamp:

Reactions: 1 user

Dare you to start foaming a little at the mouth and biting people sitting near you.

Reactions: 4 users
Being back in GP has made me desperately want a dog and SDN doesn't help and oh god I keep looking at shelters aaaaccckkkk. I told my partner that my ovaries want a puppy and he just laughed at me. :yeahright:

Reactions: 5 users
Being back in GP has made me desperately want a dog and SDN doesn't help and oh god I keep looking at shelters aaaaccckkkk. I told my partner that my ovaries want a puppy and he just laughed at me. :yeahright:

Come home with one then see who's laughing
image.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm going to a friend's wedding this weekend, leaving insanely early tomorrow morning. Before RSVPing to said wedding, I obtained approval to leave a little early this afternoon (in case I ended up booking an evening flight and/or to get my ducks in a row before leaving home at 3am). That was ~3 months ago. My schedule got switched around a bit this week, and I ended up on the small animal side for the end of this week. I get assigned a late day case, which is a surgeon's 5th procedure of the day (i.e. almost definitely going to go late). I let the scheduler know, hey, I need to cut out by 5 today, if this goes late, I need to go. I then get told off by my faculty who overheard this exchange, in the middle of the room, in front of like 10 people, to basically shut up, I'm a resident, and I'll work until 7 or whenever if it goes late, get used to it.

What the hell use is getting advanced approval then? I never would have made plans without approval, I'm doing a residency, you can't count on that. Apparently I can't make plans WITH prior approval either.
I just got home. I have to leave for the airport in <8 hours, I'm not packed, and everything in my apartment is still in disarray from working on-call most of the holiday weekend. I'm completely filthy from a horse case, I've been humiliated in front of a bunch of people I work with, and I still haven't come up with a way to tactfully/non-vindictively bring to said faculty's attention that I wasn't randomly trying to leave early, that this was arranged well in advance. :mad::rage::boom:

We fostered one for a while. He was the sweetest thing. I mean ok, he wasn't the easiest...house training and separation anxiety and all that. But that dog was seriously one of the most loving animals I have ever had. He would crawl into bed and sleep with you and you could hold him like a teddy bear.

This is what my beagle mix is like. He doesn't have separation anxiety but he does like to barooooooo at loud noises and whatnot, and that gets annoying. Especially if something startles him at 3 am and he goes into full on crazy-bark mode. Him being a total momma's boy and the sweetest dog on the planet makes up for it, though.

I'm going to a friend's wedding this weekend, leaving insanely early tomorrow morning. Before RSVPing to said wedding, I obtained approval to leave a little early this afternoon (in case I ended up booking an evening flight and/or to get my ducks in a row before leaving home at 3am). That was ~3 months ago. My schedule got switched around a bit this week, and I ended up on the small animal side for the end of this week. I get assigned a late day case, which is a surgeon's 5th procedure of the day (i.e. almost definitely going to go late). I let the scheduler know, hey, I need to cut out by 5 today, if this goes late, I need to go. I then get told off by my faculty who overheard this exchange, in the middle of the room, in front of like 10 people, to basically shut up, I'm a resident, and I'll work until 7 or whenever if it goes late, get used to it.

What the hell use is getting advanced approval then? I never would have made plans without approval, I'm doing a residency, you can't count on that. Apparently I can't make plans WITH prior approval either.
I just got home. I have to leave for the airport in <8 hours, I'm not packed, and everything in my apartment is still in disarray from working on-call most of the holiday weekend. I'm completely filthy from a horse case, I've been humiliated in front of a bunch of people I work with, and I still haven't come up with a way to tactfully/non-vindictively bring to said faculty's attention that I wasn't randomly trying to leave early, that this was arranged well in advance. :mad::rage::boom:

Can you send an e-mail and say something like you just want to explain what happened today, that you received approval months ago and didn't mean anything disrespectful when you said that you needed to leave early . . . something like that. Blow off some steam in a polite and well-meaning e-mail.

Can you send an e-mail and say something like you just want to explain what happened today, that you received approval months ago and didn't mean anything disrespectful when you said that you needed to leave early . . . something like that. Blow off some steam in a polite and well-meaning e-mail.
I was going to, but I'm still worried it's going to be seen as retaliatory. All I really want to point out is that I asked for this well in advance, nobody voiced a problem with it and the section chief said I was good to go, and that I don't think I was being unreasonable. Because I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask that a previous agreement be honored. Even if nobody else seems to remember that they agreed.

I was going to, but I'm still worried it's going to be seen as retaliatory. All I really want to point out is that I asked for this well in advance, nobody voiced a problem with it and the section chief said I was good to go, and that I don't think I was being unreasonable. Because I really don't think it's unreasonable to ask that a previous agreement be honored. Even if nobody else seems to remember that they agreed.
I wouldn't see it as retaliatory, but I don't know what your work/school environment is like.

I wouldn't see it as retaliatory, but I don't know what your work/school environment is like.
I think I'm hesitating more after getting basically yelled at and told to shut up this morning. Usually this is a faculty member I'll just text about cases and stuff, but the mid-conversation berating I got this morning makes me worry about what lies under the surface.

Made plans with the bestie, text her to check in about them and she's bailing on me because a guy she's crushing on asked her to hang out.

I mean we can hang out later, but like dude at least give me a heads up first or at least pretend to see if I would be okay rescheduling.

Last weekend when we hung out the entire time she was texting him, so I shouldn't be surprised, but she'd loose her crap if I did this to her.

I think I'm hesitating more after getting basically yelled at and told to shut up this morning. Usually this is a faculty member I'll just text about cases and stuff, but the mid-conversation berating I got this morning makes me worry about what lies under the surface.
I have absolutely no clout or anything to make my opinions on this matter, but that whole story you just told infuriates me. You're not "just a resident," you're a human being with a life and a need for work-life balance. You acted incredibly responsibly by requesting in advance to be able to leave "early" (5pm in the normal world is not early) and were approved to do so. You have a life outside of your job, and that just has to be okay.

People wonder why the compassion fatigue/suicide/depression rates are so high for our profession and then you hear about this relatively minor but still impactful story of internal abuse from within the profession and suddenly it's not so surprising anymore.

I absolutely think you need to stand up for yourself for this one. I absolutely do not think it was okay for them to react to you like that. And I absolutely will respect whatever you end up deciding to do about it even if the answer is nothing and move on like it didn't happen.

Just know that I am angry on your behalf.

Reactions: 7 users
We had to euthanize a former technician's family dog that we were all in love with yesterday, and it went horribly. He was a 150lb akita mix, HW+ with a perianal mass we had removed four times. It was enormous and ulcerated, he was falling down and covered in blood and stool and all of his veins were collapsed. Three people including the doctor tried and every catheter burred. He hated having his paws touched so he was muzzled and screaming the entire time. We gave more sedatives and eventually got a 20G in but by that point everyone was nauseous and crying. We sat with him feeding him doughnuts for a while. Was the first of many euthanasias yesterday, more today. I don't hate euthanasias, I just hate when they don't go the way they should. :(

Made plans with the bestie, text her to check in about them and she's bailing on me because a guy she's crushing on asked her to hang out.

I mean we can hang out later, but like dude at least give me a heads up first or at least pretend to see if I would be okay rescheduling.

Last weekend when we hung out the entire time she was texting him, so I shouldn't be surprised, but she'd loose her crap if I did this to her.

I can't stand being out with a friend who is glued to their phone. Even if the focus is us--like if they want to take selfies for Facebook or snap chat the whole time.. I feel like the focus is less on spending time together and more on getting attention. Make sense?

I can't stand being out with a friend who is glued to their phone. Even if the focus is us--like if they want to take selfies for Facebook or snap chat the whole time.. I feel like the focus is less on spending time together and more on getting attention. Make sense?

Agreed! She had plans with him later in the day, so she claimed it was "figuring things out," but I was a bit annoyed.

My sister is always snap chatting everything. I sort of hate hanging out with her now when I'm in town because it seems like everything she wants to do is just to put in her snapchat story...

I hate to say it but personally I'd just roll eyes, drop it, and move on. I've gone by the motto of choosing my battles throughout my internships/other training and I often find that after getting dressed down like that, there isn't a good time to dredge it back up later and my energy is better spent on other things. But maybe that's just me, I don't know.

Make up plans have now also been blown off. I feel really hurt right now :(

Coming off an overnight shift and have now been up for 24 hr straight. Loved the emergency nail trim that I performed at like 130 am that the owner apparently couldn't afford the exam fee. Almost got away with getting it paid for by a charitable fund but I was like eff that.

Not sure why it wasn't triaged away (did have a broken dewclaw...but still) but they can receive the bill in the mail.

Coming off an overnight shift and have now been up for 24 hr straight. Loved the emergency nail trim that I performed at like 130 am that the owner apparently couldn't afford the exam fee. Almost got away with getting it paid for by a charitable fund but I was like eff that.

Not sure why it wasn't triaged away (did have a broken dewclaw...but still) but they can receive the bill in the mail.

Granted I'm not in ER, but I can't even begin to count the number of deathly ill animals that come in and the owner is like, "Ooh, can we also have his nails trimmed?" Sure, shouldn't be a problem since he's comatose and not moving!

Well, Vivianne jumped the fence again. The pocket of fluid I was hoping was a baby is gone. I turned her out with the Angus across the road. Poor girl is wandering the herd looking for a man..,

She really wants the Black Hereford down the road. No interest in the Angus.

Worst is I have another straw of Swissy, but it's at work. Can't get in until tomorrow.

She's confusing the bull now. Won't let him mount, but she wants on top. ;)

And back to trying to break through the fence into the Hereford pasture.

Why couldn't she just stay bred? I wanted a Swissy baby for my birthday:(

Granted I'm not in ER, but I can't even begin to count the number of deathly ill animals that come in and the owner is like, "Ooh, can we also have his nails trimmed?" Sure, shouldn't be a problem since he's comatose and not moving!

Oh it definitely happens. And if they happen to be out for sedation or a procedure, we'll often still do it as a courtesy, but this dog specifically came in for broken nails. One front dewclaw was broken in half and just needed to be clipped off and the other was overgrown but not into the pawpad yet...

Someone posting on their facebook that it is so cute that their cat is panting like their dogs. Um... please take your cat to a vet ASAP.
Response: Oh, he has a vet appointment later this month, I'll keep an eye on him until then.
Do people not understand what 'respiratory distress' means when I tell this to them? Guess I can say I tried...

Someone posting on their facebook that it is so cute that their cat is panting like their dogs. Um... please take your cat to a vet ASAP.
Response: Oh, he has a vet appointment later this month, I'll keep an eye on him until then.
Do people not understand what 'respiratory distress' means when I tell this to them? Guess I can say I tried...

Oh, wow...

Mixed post:
Since Bishop never came back, BoyCat has been super lovey. He wasn't as into the man on man action as Bishop, but can't make himself snuggle with his sister or the new man outside, so he has turned to us.
My heart aches both for Bishop and for BoyCat's loss, but part of me is happy that he is turning into a human snuggle kitty.
20160225_111718.jpg
Bishop is in Black. (White spot at collar and white fur scar on right front leg and all down belly) BoyCat would never have allowed this picture if awake.

Reactions: 2 users
Family's driving me crazy. I visited them this weekend. Made it crystal clear I'd have to leave early on Sunday so that I could spend some quality time with my cadaver and also actually find a parking spot near my apartment so I wouldn't have to walk home a longer distance in the dark with the dog and all of my crap.

Next Sunday, my SIL is throwing a party for my nephew's 1st birthday. She rented out a hall, and at least 70 people are going. That's how many I had at my wedding, but I digress. I told my brother I couldn't go because I need to be home early on Sundays, but of course, to him early means "any time up to 10 pm." He eventually just said that SIL is going to be very disappointed that I can't go. That's his subtle way of pressuring me, of course. Turns out my oldest brother is flying out of the country to see his girlfriend. And mom can't go because she has to take care of my invalid grandmother with dementia. So my brother threw a hissy fit and "it's BS that the only people who aren't going to be there are my family." He and my dad are insisting that it's okay to leave a 93 year old woman with dementia who can't really walk anymore all alone for 5-6 hours, and my mom won't budge. Even if my mom did leave grandma alone, she'd be worried the entire time. She also refuses to hire a certified home visit nurse for the night because "they're strangers and could steal things," even though people like that are bonded, licensed, and insured.

So the plan that they concocted was for me to go with my father driving 1.5 hours to get me and 1.5 hours to bring me to their house on Saturday. And then he'd drive me home after the party on Sunday. That way I wouldn't have to move my car. I said no. "You can study in the car." No. NO I CAN'T. This morning, that plan morphed into "he can come get you and you can take care of grandma so mom can go and you can study in the car and at home while you're taking care of grandma." Oh, even better! Much more conducive to studying. Nothing helps you concentrate like taking care of a person with dementia who's verbally abusive. :smack:

They fail to understand that I need to be in my apartment with all of my stuff in an environment where I can FOCUS and that I need to be able to run to the lab and meet up with classmates on short notice. Despite my repeated attempts to explain things, they still don't understand how much f-ing work I need to do and how distracting all of this is. How many hours of productive studying I lose (by choice, but it's a thing that still happens) whenever I visit. And I'm irritated at my brother for his continual emotional manipulation of everyone else in the family. He's mad at mom for not wanting to leave grandma alone because mom is going to miss this stupid freaking party. Nevermind that mom babysits the boy multiple times a week and just about every weekend. What's going to matter more in the long run? That she was there at a stupid party? Or that she's always there to take care of the baby when she's needed? Jesus Christ, people, come on.

Family's driving me crazy. I visited them this weekend. Made it crystal clear I'd have to leave early on Sunday so that I could spend some quality time with my cadaver and also actually find a parking spot near my apartment so I wouldn't have to walk home a longer distance in the dark with the dog and all of my crap.

Next Sunday, my SIL is throwing a party for my nephew's 1st birthday. She rented out a hall, and at least 70 people are going. That's how many I had at my wedding, but I digress. I told my brother I couldn't go because I need to be home early on Sundays, but of course, to him early means "any time up to 10 pm." He eventually just said that SIL is going to be very disappointed that I can't go. That's his subtle way of pressuring me, of course. Turns out my oldest brother is flying out of the country to see his girlfriend. And mom can't go because she has to take care of my invalid grandmother with dementia. So my brother threw a hissy fit and "it's BS that the only people who aren't going to be there are my family." He and my dad are insisting that it's okay to leave a 93 year old woman with dementia who can't really walk anymore all alone for 5-6 hours, and my mom won't budge. Even if my mom did leave grandma alone, she'd be worried the entire time. She also refuses to hire a certified home visit nurse for the night because "they're strangers and could steal things," even though people like that are bonded, licensed, and insured.

So the plan that they concocted was for me to go with my father driving 1.5 hours to get me and 1.5 hours to bring me to their house on Saturday. And then he'd drive me home after the party on Sunday. That way I wouldn't have to move my car. I said no. "You can study in the car." No. NO I CAN'T. This morning, that plan morphed into "he can come get you and you can take care of grandma so mom can go and you can study in the car and at home while you're taking care of grandma." Oh, even better! Much more conducive to studying. Nothing helps you concentrate like taking care of a person with dementia who's verbally abusive. :smack:

They fail to understand that I need to be in my apartment with all of my stuff in an environment where I can FOCUS and that I need to be able to run to the lab and meet up with classmates on short notice. Despite my repeated attempts to explain things, they still don't understand how much f-ing work I need to do and how distracting all of this is. How many hours of productive studying I lose (by choice, but it's a thing that still happens) whenever I visit. And I'm irritated at my brother for his continual emotional manipulation of everyone else in the family. He's mad at mom for not wanting to leave grandma alone because mom is going to miss this stupid freaking party. Nevermind that mom babysits the boy multiple times a week and just about every weekend. What's going to matter more in the long run? That she was there at a stupid party? Or that she's always there to take care of the baby when she's needed? Jesus Christ, people, come on.

Here's a MASSIVE hug.

I hope you won't let them convince/guilt you into going. Or if they MUST have you there, get a life size cardboard cutout of you made and tape a voice recorder to it with pre-record conversations. You'll be a hit.

Word of advice. "No." is a complete sentence. And quite frankly, a 1yr old isn't going to remember a party. The party isn't for him, it's for your SIL and brother to show off. You and your family have very legitimate reasons not to be at the party.

I've been reading way too much r/Relationships.

We had a dog in heart failure intubated on oxygen and the family came back to say goodbye and potentially euthanize. The mother started to berate us for not taking him outside because he was clearly stressed because he hadn't been out to pee since he got there. I get that she was stressed, but she was also an RN.

Well that was the worst exam I've ever taken....

Therio= 1, Ashgirl= 0

Working reception on Saturday:

Lady comes in while I am helping invoice another client out. Stands there calm and smiling. Once I am done, she comes up and asks if we accept walk in clients. I say that we don't do walk-ins, but we do have appointments available later in the day if she would like to book. Lady nods and says she would definitely like to do that. I ask her what her concerns with her pet are, and (still smiling) she states that her dog has pyaometra. I stop, and ask if she means pyometra. Still smiling, she says yes, and clarifies that she means the condition that is common in older unspayed dogs. She goes on to say that she now needs to have her spayed, and was hoping to come in (drop in appointment) to have that done. When I tell her that we are not equipped to do that procedure today, she goes "well aren't you a vet clinic?". I say yes, but explain that surgery day here is on set days of the week, not today, and we don't have the staffing for surgery never mind for an emergency case. I then tell her pyo is an emergency case. I refer her to the emergency clinic and off she goes (still smiling). Meanwhile I am standing there with my jaw on the ground.

Found out later that the dog was euthanized. :boom:

BBC mistake #1: Should have asked the owner's concerns first, and then would have saved this entire conversation from happening.
BBC mistake #2: Should have probably given her a heads up on the costs of surgery. Almost guarantee she thought she would be paying only a few hundred dollars for this surgery.

We had a dog in heart failure intubated on oxygen and the family came back to say goodbye and potentially euthanize. The mother started to berate us for not taking him outside because he was clearly stressed because he hadn't been out to pee since he got there. I get that she was stressed, but she was also an RN.

I think no matter how well things are explained sometimes people just have problems grasping the levity of the situation. One of the last really sad cases I managed at my neuro internship was a young, previously healthy dog that developed severe generalized tetanus after a spay. The owners had the money to do whatever they could, and were having a real problem with the idea that they might need to let go. The dog was on 5 CRIs of different sedatives/MgSO4 and was having increasing frequency (multiple per hour) of full body tetanic spasms where her temp would go up to 104F+ and she even started to have ventricular arrhythmias during the episodes. She responded to bolus + increased propofol rate but her resp rate would go down to 2-4/minute which, well...I wasn't jazzed about. So we had the conversation about putting her on a ventilator (knowing that her prognosis was getting worse and she could die from one of these episodes) vs euthanasia.
So while I was trying to navigate this difficult conversation, the one owner asked me to call in an acupuncturist. At 9 pm on a Friday. For her dog that had uncontrollable tetanic spasms and had to have ears stuffed with cotton, eyes covered, and as limited touching as possible to try to minimize spasms. Trying to explain to her that while we did believe in the potential of acupuncture to help with things like chronic pain, this was as close as I could possibly come to an actual CONTRAINDICATION to it....was really hard. She also did the ask for nail trim thing. We had already trimmed the dog's nails though, hah.
(She finally ended up coming back later that night at like midnight to euthanize. The case was doubly hard for me because in the middle of it was when my dog went into status and I had to euthanize her. I guess the silver lining to that whole ordeal was that I got to be extremely REAL with the people, and tell them that I just had to euthanize my young and otherwise healthy dog and I really, really got it.)

BBC mistake #2: Should have probably given her a heads up on the costs of surgery. Almost guarantee she thought she would be paying only a few hundred dollars for this surgery.

Yes please. Signed, someone who was an intern and had to deal with so many "referral euthanasias" on ER because people had no idea of even a ballpark cost figure.