RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I literally don't remember the last time I cried, but I was a few minutes ago. Woke up yesterday with unbelievable searing electrical shocks in my left groin area. Any movement at all would set them off, every 5-10 seconds.. I simply powered through the day, wincing. This morning it was even worse, I can't move. But I had to skip class to drive 3 hours to the wheelchair seating cushion clinic so they could modify my cushion, because I now have full fledged pressure sores. After that, I drove back and checked myself into the hospital. They've been pumping me full of IV pain meds all day long yet it's done absolutely nothing for this pain. I'm loopy and drowsy yet still hurting. I got CT scan with contrast and they said my lymph nodes are a little inflamed and my WBC were a little high, but nothing that warrants this type of pain.

After 48 hours of this **** it's thoroughly worn me down. I've had no time to study, I have 3 exams in the next 2 days, and I can't move. Like I'm not even exaggerating, rolling over the slightest bump on the sidewalk sets off this pain. Why in a matter of 3 weeks has my body just straight up failed me. I've worked so hard to get here and I feel like every single day I'm slipping further and further behind. I won't be able to make it to class again tomorrow if this is that bad. With central pain, I live with a constant 5-6 baseline of pain, but this is so far above that, and it pisses me off there's nothing legitimately wrong.

**** you spinal cord injury, **** you nerve pain. I deal with you every day but sometimes you just beat me down. Just leave me the **** alone.
I messaged you.

I hope for a speedy recovery for you.

Members don't see this ad.

I literally don't remember the last time I cried, but I was a few minutes ago. Woke up yesterday with unbelievable searing electrical shocks in my left groin area. Any movement at all would set them off, every 5-10 seconds.. I simply powered through the day, wincing. This morning it was even worse, I can't move. But I had to skip class to drive 3 hours to the wheelchair seating cushion clinic so they could modify my cushion, because I now have full fledged pressure sores. After that, I drove back and checked myself into the hospital. They've been pumping me full of IV pain meds all day long yet it's done absolutely nothing for this pain. I'm loopy and drowsy yet still hurting. I got CT scan with contrast and they said my lymph nodes are a little inflamed and my WBC were a little high, but nothing that warrants this type of pain.

After 48 hours of this **** it's thoroughly worn me down. I've had no time to study, I have 3 exams in the next 2 days, and I can't move. Like I'm not even exaggerating, rolling over the slightest bump on the sidewalk sets off this pain. Why in a matter of 3 weeks has my body just straight up failed me. I've worked so hard to get here and I feel like every single day I'm slipping further and further behind. I won't be able to make it to class again tomorrow if this is that bad. With central pain, I live with a constant 5-6 baseline of pain, but this is so far above that, and it pisses me off there's nothing legitimately wrong.

**** you spinal cord injury, **** you nerve pain. I deal with you every day but sometimes you just beat me down. Just leave me the **** alone.
Hang in there!

My mother is going in for extensive foot surgery today. I'm really nervous about this procedure. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Did a bunch of spays/neuter yesterday. I was feeling super fab about them (especially since I had been SO nervous about surgery previously)-rocked my pedicle ties and learned the Modified Miller's...and then one of my kittens came down post-op with the cranial part of her skin incision dehisced (not the linea). I know it's probably because she was just being a crazy kitten, and **** happens, but I'm still kind of blaming myself for not being perfect. Grrrr...

Did a bunch of spays/neuter yesterday. I was feeling super fab about them (especially since I had been SO nervous about surgery previously)-rocked my pedicle ties and learned the Modified Miller's...and then one of my kittens came down post-op with the cranial part of her skin incision dehisced (not the linea). I know it's probably because she was just being a crazy kitten, and **** happens, but I'm still kind of blaming myself for not being perfect. Grrrr...

I had a large scrotal hematoma in a large dog not too long ago. I had already explained this as a possibility and recommended ablation before surgery, but owner declined. **** happens. I still feel bad about it because I know that isn't comfortable for the dog, but he'll survive, just sucks.

Reactions: 1 user

I'm so, so sorry w2vm. I hope you recover quickly. As others have said, if you haven't already definitely contact your professors and associate dean. I'm sure they will work with you in regards to your exams and the classes you've had to miss.

We have an "office for students" and they are super helpful with that stuff. I really hope you feel better soon though. I really want you to succeed after all you have been through and done to get to where you are. Clearly you are smart enough, and super determined.

I was supposed to go to the fair tonight with a friend. She told me she would be going around 7:30-7:45, so I've been running errands all afternoon. At 5 she texts me that she was at the fair already. Of course I was 40 minutes from home with a truck full of lumber and carpets. So by the time I get home, unload and shower, it's 6:45. The fair is a half hour away, probably longer with traffic and parking. Text my friend and she "doesn't think she's staying much longer"

Really bummed. I've missed the fair the last two years. And unless I can find someone to go with tomorrow looks like I'm missing it again :(

I was supposed to go to the fair tonight with a friend. She told me she would be going around 7:30-7:45, so I've been running errands all afternoon. At 5 she texts me that she was at the fair already. Of course I was 40 minutes from home with a truck full of lumber and carpets. So by the time I get home, unload and shower, it's 6:45. The fair is a half hour away, probably longer with traffic and parking. Text my friend and she "doesn't think she's staying much longer"

Really bummed. I've missed the fair the last two years. And unless I can find someone to go with tomorrow looks like I'm missing it again :(

Go by yourself. I know it isn't ideal, but then you can do what you want while at the fair.

Reactions: 5 users
The guy that I have been seeing for a solid 6 months just told me he's not willing to commit to me because I might be moving out next year for vet school and he doesn't want to do long distance. He said he knows he'll be miserable and that he gets attached easily. It was like a punch in the gut to know that he's not willing to try though. It hurts even more because he's the first guy I've been with that I really like. Have any of you been in a ldr while in vet school? How was it?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

The guy that I have been seeing for a solid 6 months just told me he's not willing to commit to me because I might be moving out next year for vet school and he doesn't want to do long distance. He said he knows he'll be miserable and that he gets attached easily. It was like a punch in the gut to know that he's not willing to try though. It hurts even more because he's the first guy I've been with that I really like. Have any of you been in a ldr while in vet school? How was it?

Yup. Been dating my guy for five years. If we make it to May 18, we will have officially survived vet school! Currently living with him, since he's so close to my rotations, at least until I bounce around the country again.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm so burnt out with school atm....

4 exams next week (really 5), with all of them being 7am... for 4 days in a row. Ughhhh. :coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

LDR's are hard even if you aren't in vet school. Maintaining a relationship in vet school is hard even if you aren't long distance. I know it sucks and it hurts, but both people in a LDR really have to want it and work hard to make the relationship work, and if he feels he can't handle it, it's probably better that he tells you now instead of waiting.

Reactions: 6 users
I hope you feel better soon, W2VM!

I'm in one right now, since my husband had to stay back home for his job. So far, it sucks, but we're managing. I miss him a lot. I miss having our home together. I worry about growing apart. This is busy travel season for him, too, so he's only been able to visit once so far and won't be coming back until next month. It's a bit different for us since we have such a long history, but we were also long distance for almost 2 years at the beginning of our relationship while I was in grad school. That was also tough. In some ways, it was easier (less pressure to make it work, easier to let go, and at that stage you give each other more space anyway) but it was also more difficult (the uncertainty about where you're headed, especially since you're still building trust). It can work, but if one person isn't all in, then it's nearly impossible. Even if you're committed and 100% all in, you're going to have rough spots, and you can't survive those if you're on the fence. LDRs really aren't for everyone, and they often take a lot more effort and work. Some people simply don't do well in them, and it's not a sign of any character flaw or weakness, IMO. It just is what it is. It's better that he's being honest with you now even though it hurts.

Reactions: 2 users
It's costing me $3000 to do the IM rotation I was assigned to, and that's not including airfare. Sometimes this distributive model is not so cool. I was really excited to go to the Fluff Festival today and now I'm just panicking over my finances.

We did and it was miserable. You miss each other but your schedule is so crazy that it's hard to keep up with the communication every LDR requires to succeed.

Everyone is different in their LDR - we got to see each other once per semester for like 2-3 days maximum, it required a full day's worth of travel for each person and flights/hotels were pricey, even when we stayed at pretty cheap places. Every time I got internally cranky with people complaining about only getting to see their SO every other week, I just reminded myself about my best friend who was deployed to Afghanistan for nine months and never got to see his wife and only had spotty phone calls occasionally, or the people who do international distance where crazy time differences factor in, flights are thousands of dollars, etc. Sure, there are people who have it better than you, but there are also people who have it so much worse.

I echo what everyone else has said - this is a blessing in disguise. Many (most, actually) long-term couples that came into my class as LDR failed, and most quite quickly. And that was with two very dedicated people trying to make it work! If both people are not 100% committed, it isn't going to work and the longer you drag it out, the worse it will be emotionally. Better to deal with a break-up now than in the middle of exams of your first year.

Look on the positive side - he is being transparent about his anxiety about it. Way better than quietly going along with things until a month into the semester and then abruptly breaking up LD.

Reactions: 4 users
Look on the positive side - he is being transparent about his anxiety about it. Way better than quietly going along with things until a month into the semester and then abruptly breaking up LD.

I do understand that this will result in less heartache later, but I guess the romantic in me is holding out hope for the few LDRs that make it.

I kept telling him that it's uncertain whether I will even be accepted, and if I don't get accepted I can apply to the school closer to us, but he kept acting like I was going to leave eventually and that would be the end. I know successful LDRs are few and far between and that they need to be with the right people who are willing to put in the work. I guess he wasn't one of those people or not with me at least. :/

I'm doing it now, it's been just about 2 months so far. It's hard, but we've been together 4 years and lived together last year so we have a pretty solid foundation. He's actually studying abroad in China right now, so we're both really busy and that helps the time go by faster. The hardest parts are the 13-hour time difference, and calling or video chatting is difficult because he has a really slow internet connection, but we're able to message through an app called WeChat. Communication will be MUCH easier once he's back in January, and we'll be able to actually visit each other occasionally (it will still be long-distance, about a 5 hour drive). In a way it helps not having him here, because I don't feel obligated to spend time with him instead of studying or hanging out with classmates.

Long-distance isn't for everybody, and when we first started dating I said I would never do it again since I've had it end badly twice before. But you never know what's going to happen with life, and by the time I got accepted to vet school (it took me three application cycles) the thought of breaking up seemed much worse than being long-distance. I've grown a lot over the past four years, and this is a much more mature, stable relationship than my last two. Anyway, I'm sorry about your breakup, but I agree with everyone else that it's better that he was honest with you now. Maybe you'll end up meeting somebody who's willing to do long-distance or move wherever you go to school, or maybe you'll meet somebody great during vet school, who knows?

@LyraGardenia Thanks for the advice. Honestly, we don't have that solid foundation you and your SO have and he's not as busy so I think it will bother him more that we're not together. But like you said, who knows what will happen a year from now? He might get an awesome job or move out with his friend. It just didn't make sense to me because he said he had feelings for me but at the same time was so adamant about not pursuing a relationship because of something that hasn't even happened yet. I don't understand guys. Haha Biochemistry, I can understand, but guys are a whole different story!

I kept telling him that it's uncertain whether I will even be accepted, and if I don't get accepted I can apply to the school closer to us, but he kept acting like I was going to leave eventually and that would be the end.

To be honest, it may spook him a bit that you're considering applying to programs just to stay near to him this early in the relationship. (And unfortunately, even attending school in the same location isn't going to be a cake-walk for a relationship, although admittedly much better than LD :) The demands on your time and the stress you will be under are going to make any relationship difficult.) I know we're conditioned to think that if only we were "good enough" would the guy stick with us through it all, but this is not a reflection on you or how awesome of a person you are. Hang in there :)

Last night at one AM my ceiling fan started leaking water. Idk if it was a roof leak or what, but I was woken up by it raining in my room. Couldn't get ahold of emergency maintenance so I put a Tupperware and a towel under it and went back to sleep. But how tf does a ceiling fan start leaking water?! Do you call an electrician or a plumber?

My life is on the struggle bus right now.

So I got home from school and there was a note from maintenance saying that they had come by and the job was complete. So I went to the office to find out what had been the problem and what they did to fix it. They then informed me that there was in fact no problem they could find and that it has been reported in apartments before but they aren't sure how to fix it or why it's happening. So I told them I have pictures that I could show that to prove what is going on. They said they believed me, but couldn't find a problem. Then the guy goes "I wasn't awake at 1am, so I don't know if there were high winds or something outside." Wtf.... I didn't want to be awake at 1am either! I only was because it was raining IN my apartment. So then I asked what to do in the future for emergency maintenance and they said to do the same things I did last night to call and leave a voicemail, and that it gets fwd and they will come by if needed. So glad that a water leak in the middle of the night was not considered necessary for maintenance.

And the problem is back with vengeance tonight as we have a big thunderstorm. I called maintenance pissed and they are now calling out a roofer for me but don't know when one will come out. This better get fixed this time.

Intentions: I'll just come home and zip through a few records tonight, and then get lots of studying done for my masters class on monday! Reality: I will spend hours on a few records and not get any studying done. sigh. Internships are good for you, residencies are not for anyone who is not completely certain they could do nothing else for the rest of their lives, because every darn day is a new day of torture, a new day of utter drowning, and a new day of feeling intimidated and incredibly incompetent and stupid. There are literally not enough hours in a day to accomplish all the tasks I need to do to survive and provide reasonable patient care.

I've been coughing so hard lately and for so long. My chest hurts super bad, reminds me of when I broke a rib about 3-4 years ago. Really hoping I didn't break a rib again. I also really don't want to work tomorrow.

I've been coughing so hard lately and for so long. My chest hurts super bad, reminds me of when I broke a rib about 3-4 years ago. Really hoping I didn't break a rib again. I also really don't want to work tomorrow.
Do you have an x-ray machine at work? :shifty:

@pandabear93 , my heart goes out to you. I have less than ideal times with relationships but a commiseration if you will:
I started focusing on vet school freshman year of undergrad. I started dating someone sophomore year. When I was applying, my bf was like "if you leave the state we're done." He also always was in the "I love you more than you love me" camp business. I got into Oregon, same ultimatum. I got accepted to Tufts and he didn't even acknowledge it. For other reasons, I broke up with him but someone should never pressure you like that, for the guise of love or otherwise.

I'm glad your guy was honest and timing is half the battle (especially for me and my most recent failed relationships). Love to you and your healing :biglove:

Reactions: 1 users
Intentions: I'll just come home and zip through a few records tonight, and then get lots of studying done for my masters class on monday! Reality: I will spend hours on a few records and not get any studying done. sigh. Internships are good for you, residencies are not for anyone who is not completely certain they could do nothing else for the rest of their lives, because every darn day is a new day of torture, a new day of utter drowning, and a new day of feeling intimidated and incredibly incompetent and stupid. There are literally not enough hours in a day to accomplish all the tasks I need to do to survive and provide reasonable patient care.

My internship has made me realize I definitely don't have it in me...except maybe for derm but even that is meh. Hope it gets better soon for you.

Just wanted to say thank you to everyone for being so kind and passing on your best wishes. Today is the first day of true relief, seriously feels like a cartoon where blinds lift up from your eyes. Last week was pretty ****ing brutal, entire phantom pain attack from start to finish was about 96 hours. Truly was scary because neither my medications or the hospital's goodies were working.

I went to class Thursday to take my first Physio/Histo exam and after one of my professor's said "You look like you're getting tortured." I ended up going back to the hospital for the second day and I was thinking "Ya, if someone was physically doing to me what my body is doing to itself I'm pretty sure it'd be deemed physical and psychological torture after about 48 hours." I actually think I did pretty well on that exam, but that was a really stupid idea to take it in that state.

I did pass my Anatomy exam. I would've been so butthurt in undergrad, but I'm actually happy just to have passed (weird). I was able to push back one of my other exams, so everyone is being very accommodating. Thanks again everyone.

Reactions: 9 users
I would've been so butthurt in undergrad, but I'm actually happy just to have passed (weird).

Welcome to vet school. It gets a little bit better once you settle in, but not being the super smarty pants of the class anymore is a hard transition. Unfortunately, everyone was a smarty pants before, but now it's just not possible for everyone to have that role.

C=DVM and all that. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Today I had to spend two hours at the Budget car rental desk at MKE, they wouldn't honour my USAA discount which more than doubled my rental costs, and they maxed out my credit card with repetitive charges because they didn't know what they were doing... It'll take 3-5 business days until I can spend money again, so that's cool.

I swear if i see one more bite wounds or HBC case this week, i am going to lose it. Put your pets on leashes people, and keep them in fenced yards. I want more metabolic stuff! You know, the DKAs, heart failures, and respiratory distresses! No more orthopedics/wounds/trauma/neuro for a bit please

I swear if i see one more bite wounds or HBC case this week, i am going to lose it. Put your pets on leashes people, and keep them in fenced yards. I want more metabolic stuff! You know, the DKAs, heart failures, and respiratory distresses! No more orthopedics/wounds/trauma/neuro for a bit please
...we are very different people. :p

:eek: Trilt wants dogs to be hit by cars?!?
Metabolic cases are expensive, confusing to owners, and usually involve oodles of long term monitoring and general PITA.

Meanwhile, the pyo we cut today? Not out of the woods yet, but a fixable problem with a solution and no need for futzing with doses and expensive long term drugs and stims and whatnot. So much better. :p

Metabolic cases are expensive, confusing to owners, and usually involve oodles of long term monitoring and general PITA.

Give me a shift full of HGE cases any day. Good money, easy dx, easy tx, and almost all of them do well and go home in 12-48 hours.

I'm a lazy doctor. :)

Probably going to have to drop out of general chemistry and i feel completely incompetent. I just transfered to a much harder university from a really small uni, and all the classes are kicking my ass. Even when i completely feel like i've mastered the material, i get **** grades. One more chem exam before the drop deadline. hopefully i pass this one. (Also i took an intro chem class last semester at my old uni and got an A so that fact i can't even hold a C in this one is rage inducing).

While running an informative booth on small animal dentistry, a passerby decided they wanted to educate the masses that their dog eats raw and the bones help reduce plaque build up much better than dental food.

I loved dealing with that! Made my day. :lame:

Reactions: 3 users
Probably going to have to drop out of general chemistry and i feel completely incompetent. I just transfered to a much harder university from a really small uni, and all the classes are kicking my ass. Even when i completely feel like i've mastered the material, i get **** grades. One more chem exam before the drop deadline. hopefully i pass this one. (Also i took an intro chem class last semester at my old uni and got an A so that fact i can't even hold a C in this one is rage inducing).

We all have a subject or class we struggle with. Have you gone to office hours or sought out a tutor?

We all have a subject or class we struggle with. Have you gone to office hours or sought out a tutor?
both haha. and i still suck. i just feel like my study time is completely ineffective.

Gen chem 2 was the worst so I completely understand. While I didn't drop and wound up doing okay in the class overall, it definitely gave me lots of grief.

EngrSC is right. Pretty much everyone struggles with at least one class--it doesn't mean you're incompetent or that you suck.

If you feel like your study time is ineffective, then perhaps a change in method is in order? Are you using active study methods, or simply reading/highlighting/doing practice sets?

Gen chem 2 was the worst so I completely understand. While I didn't drop and wound up doing okay in the class overall, it definitely gave me lots of grief.

EngrSC is right. Pretty much everyone struggles with at least one class--it doesn't mean you're incompetent or that you suck.

If you feel like your study time is ineffective, then perhaps a change in method is in order? Are you using active study methods, or simply reading/highlighting/doing practice sets?
i usually try to work through problems on old quizes/the book/the homework. but when im presented with new problems i still cant seem to do them :/

i usually try to work through problems on old quizes/the book/the homework. but when im presented with new problems i still cant seem to do them :/

I think the biggest problem people have with Gen Chem (esp. II) is that they get used to how a question is worded and how to solve with with such and such formula. What helped me is taking time to stop and think about the question and what exactly it was asking me because ultimately, the questions on the test were always worded differently than homework/class example problems. That crap is hard, not doubt about it. Plus, I'm sure going from a small class to a big one hasn't made it easier. Office hours can be a god send.