RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
HahahahHAAHAHHAHAHA. Take THAT, Internet-"educated" client who lectured me that her dog couldn't POSSIBLY have a pyometra because it was currently in heat and pyometras ALWAYS happens two months after their last heat cycle and she only has a TINY bit of bloody discharge so obviously I'm just a dumb vet who is trying to sell her on expensive radiographs unnecessarily ....

(Dog had a pyometra.)

(Spay your dogs, smarty-pants.)
At least she knew what a pyometra is. I'm now at two in two weeks for closed, ruptured on sx pyometras with dogs that had minimal previous vet care and completely oblivious, uneducated owners. I have a pretty solid "infection in the uterus..." *watch for blank look* "...the place where puppies develop." spiel down.

Also I'm pretty sure every damn belly hurty, sick, intact female dog is getting a quick ultrasound from now on because, man, it was a much faster diagnosis this time than rads and letting the radiologist tell me "scant peritoneal fluid," consider u/s, noooo I don't see anything that seems emergently surgical. Hrrmph.

(Spay your pets, people. I was supposed to be at our beer garden for an oktoberfest celebration, not getting home at 9pm...)

Members don't see this ad.

A week or so ago I had a pretty common cold, and I "seemed" to recover smoothly. So this past week since I was "completely fine," I've been aggressively pushing myself running-wise to make up for the week of not running (I have a race in Nov I'm trying to train for). Well today in the span of a few hours I've gone from feeling fine to feeling feverish and very yucky with a crazy relentless hacking cough, and now I'm worried it's going to become sometime muchhhh more sinister than a simple cold......

All right before finals week too. :boom:

Last edited:
A week or so ago I had a pretty common cold, and I "seemed" to recover smoothly. So this past week since I was "completely fine," I've been aggressively pushing myself running-wise to make up for the week of not running (I have a race in Nov I'm trying to train for). Well today in the span of a few hours I've gone from feeling fine to feeling feverish and very yucky with a crazy relentless hacking cough, and now I'm worried it's going to become sometime muchhhh more sinister than a simple cold......

You should know that exercise is very dangerous fornyour health. So learned my residentmate who was bospitalized for exertional rhabdomyolysis after doing an extreme exercisy thing last weekend.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh my poor pupper.

She's on the 19 week UWM modified CHOP protocol for lymphoma (and has been doing awesome health wise - like a puppy again!!), but it is week 9/19 and she is getting really squirrely with the weekly needle pokes. They had to sedate her to get the catheter in today for chemo. Poor thing. Don't you wish you could tell them that it's all to make them feel better?

She's a good pup. Almost 14 years old, had her since she was 2, and a real tank. Already survived one cancer (a hemorrhaging hepatocellular carcinoma that took us to the emergency room and cost me almost 3K, but completely excised) and I love her dearly.

Part of me asks why the feck I am spending so much $ on a 14 yo doggo (we're about halfway through the protocol, so about 3K so far,probly around 6K by the end ) but....I don't know. I was lucky enough to have a specific savings account for the furkids should they get sick that Ihad been working on for years, but sometimes I wonder if I'm just being dumb....then I see her roo-rrooing at everything and tapdancing on the linoleum for her dinner and getting excited for walkies (WALKIES!) with her silly grey face and think "Yeah, good choice."

Today though she just seems so zonked and sad and it it times like this that make me doubt. I know it is just cause they had to drug her up but still.

Reactions: 8 users
Rdvm told her it was kennel cough based on videos of the cough and her having an episode of a cough in the room. No chest rads.

:( Last night I watched a dog die of CHF while 2 weeks into a course of doxy from the rDVM. By the time we got chest rads and lasix it was too little too late. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna rad everything that so much as barks at me funny for a while.

This is totally what happened to me a couple weeks ago. A cold...totally fine...and then bronchitis. Misery.

Ugh my poor pupper.

She's on the 19 week UWM modified CHOP protocol for lymphoma (and has been doing awesome health wise - like a puppy again!!), but it is week 9/19 and she is getting really squirrely with the weekly needle pokes. They had to sedate her to get the catheter in today for chemo. Poor thing. Don't you wish you could tell them that it's all to make them feel better?

She's a good pup. Almost 14 years old, had her since she was 2, and a real tank. Already survived one cancer (a hemorrhaging hepatocellular carcinoma that took us to the emergency room and cost me almost 3K, but completely excised) and I love her dearly.

Part of me asks why the feck I am spending so much $ on a 14 yo doggo (we're about halfway through the protocol, so about 3K so far,probly around 6K by the end ) but....I don't know. I was lucky enough to have a specific savings account for the furkids should they get sick that Ihad been working on for years, but sometimes I wonder if I'm just being dumb....then I see her roo-rrooing at everything and tapdancing on the linoleum for her dinner and getting excited for walkies (WALKIES!) with her silly grey face and think "Yeah, good choice."

Today though she just seems so zonked and sad and it it times like this that make me doubt. I know it is just cause they had to drug her up but still.
Can you do an at-home sedative/anxiolytic to take the edge off? I'm pretty fond of sending home trazodone and a pill pocket to be given ~2hrs before appts for nervous nelly puppers, just to get them happier and a bit more tractable for handling. No idea what drugs would be okay with what she's on for chemo.

She sounds like such a good dog.

Also I'm pretty sure every damn belly hurty, sick, intact female dog is getting a quick ultrasound from now on
Every non spayed female with non specific signs is a pyometra until proven otherwise. Oddly had a non-pyometra bloody vaginal discharge appointment the other night. Turned out to be a vaginal tumor. Still got an estimate including a spay so she doesn't become a pyo.

Reactions: 1 user
Every non spayed female with non specific signs is a pyometra until proven otherwise. Oddly had a non-pyometra bloody vaginal discharge appointment the other night. Turned out to be a vaginal tumor. Still got an estimate including a spay so she doesn't become a pyo.
I'd just love one to actually come in leaking pus. Pyo was the top differential by far for my first one, but the bloodwork was weird and the radiologist hemmed and hawed when I talked to him about the abdominal rads so I thought I might just have tunnel vision. Tunnel vision was right...

Can you do an at-home sedative/anxiolytic to take the edge off? I'm pretty fond of sending home trazodone and a pill pocket to be given ~2hrs before appts for nervous nelly puppers, just to get them happier and a bit more tractable for handling. No idea what drugs would be okay with what she's on for chemo.

She sounds like such a good dog.

She is.

She's just really sensitive to sedatives - they work but she just gets loopy and sad (traz included). So yeah, it might work, I would just feel bad about it.

To be fair, this was the only time so far she has been really bad, and it was probably because she had to come in twice this week - usually her chemo is on Tuesdays, but her neutrophil count was too low, so we rechecked on Fri and it was good enough to go. Next week is a "bye" week (just bloodwork) so hopefully that will calm her down some.

I mean, her quality of life is excellent overall and she's in full remission, I can just be an over-worried baby about it.

Turns out it's bronchitis with "a very strong suspicion of mycoplasma/walking pneumonia."

Funnnnnn times the weekend before 6 finals :help:

Turns out it's bronchitis with "a very strong suspicion of mycoplasma/walking pneumonia."

Take care of yourself!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I really need to stop reading the comments. The sheer stupidity and ignorance that is out there never fails to scare me.

"Some veterinarians hate dogs too. A vet tech once told me herself." Just dropped a totally non-sassy "Hey, not all vets do, don't judge us for the actions of a few!" And proceeded to be told I clearly am a terrible person because I've worked at too many clinics for being so young and that I'm the ignorant one...

It also doesn't help that I'm using this as an opportunity to procrastinate.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Steroids and antibiotics are the best everrr. Feel better!

:( Last night I watched a dog die of CHF while 2 weeks into a course of doxy from the rDVM. By the time we got chest rads and lasix it was too little too late. I'm pretty sure I'm gonna rad everything that so much as barks at me funny for a while.

If she's not doing better in a few days to a week later she said she'dtake her in for rads.

And today has been horrible. I was on in patients but the er got slammed so had to help with that side of things. I am still waiting to do a procedure right now. I ate for the first time at like 6 pm. I just want to fricking leave.

Missed my 10 year undergrad reunion today just because I wasn't paying attention.
I was really looking forward to seeing everybody and live in the area right now. No good excuse. Now I have the sads.:(

My bird patient the yesterday nailed my finger at one of the joints. Swollen and sore today. Totally on me since I tried to just catch him through the little opening to the 02 cage as i didn't want to stress him out if he actually needed the o2 still. Turns out he didn't.

Just came home to my airbnb to cops with assault rifles and ballistic shields holding a stake out... When they left they told me not to worry because whoever they were looking for wasn't home. Oh, goodie... I feel so safe.

It's been over an hour.

IMG_20161009_211526582.jpg

Somehow managed to stab my finger not once but twice with a (thankfully clean) 20g needle while taking the cap off. I put pressure on the finger but didn't take my glove off to examine it until I was done with the pen of cows. When I took it off, my entire hand was coated in blood. It looked like I'd murdered someone.

Somehow managed to stab my finger not once but twice with a (thankfully clean) 20g needle while taking the cap off. I put pressure on the finger but didn't take my glove off to examine it until I was done with the pen of cows. When I took it off, my entire hand was coated in blood. It looked like I'd murdered someone.
My sympathies. I stabbed myself in the thumb with 14g once. Bled like a mofo.

My rant: The remnants of Hurricane Matthew are flooding us (4 inches plus and counting in the past 16 hours) and my previously bone dry basement has about an 1" of water in it. No major damage to anything (basement is unfinished) but still a hell of a job to get the water pushed over to the drain.

Ugh. Did that with a 16g once...assuming your goal was to poke the cow, at least you hadn't done so yet?

People who flake out on plans last minute drive me crazy. :sour: I had planned on going to trivia tonight with a few of my classmates, and I was just about to leave when the girl I planned this with messaged me that now the other 4 girls weren't coming. And there's no point in going just the two of us, since I'm guessing we need like 4-6 people for a team. One girl had an application she remembered she had to finish, so that's fair, but the other three I guess just didn't feel like it anymore. We did just plan this last night, but still, less than an hour's notice that you won't be coming is kinda rude IMO. If they'd changed their minds even this afternoon, I could have posted on the class Facebook group seeing if other people were interested, but it's too late now. Whatever, hopefully it works out better next week.

I tentatively diagnosed one of my boss' dogs with cancer earlier this month and he went to the specialty hospital today for further work up... pancreatic carcinoma. Haven't seen a case since literally the second day I shadowed in vet med (as an undergrad), and once again it's in one of the sweetest dogs around. Horrible horrible prognosis.

Also ended my day with a horribly suffering TCC euthanasia. Gotta say, **** cancer. :lame:

I'm taking a forensics elective this quarter. Our last lecture was about animal sexual abuse. I mean I knew it was a thing that happens, but hearing about it and the signs to look for made me almost physically ill. I also had no idea people actually ran farms strictly so people come in and sexually abuse the animals. One of the very many things in veterinary school that I will never understand, I guess. :barf:

Reactions: 1 users
I'm taking a forensics elective this quarter. Our last lecture was about animal sexual abuse. I mean I knew it was a thing that happens, but hearing about it and the signs to look for made me almost physically ill. I also had no idea people actually ran farms strictly so people come in and sexually abuse the animals. One of the very many things in veterinary school that I will never understand, I guess. :barf:

One of the techs I work with worked in a vet hospital in a podunk little town and they had a female dog that kept coming in for UTIs. The wife then caught her husband with the dog and she reported him then divorced him. That was the first time I had heard of such a thing and yeah, thinking about it makes me feel physically ill as well. It's a special kind of sick twisted evil disgusting POS human being.

One of the techs I work with worked in a vet hospital in a podunk little town and they had a female dog that kept coming in for UTIs. The wife then caught her husband with the dog and she reported him then divorced him. That was the first time I had heard of such a thing and yeah, thinking about it makes me feel physically ill as well. It's a special kind of sick twisted evil disgusting POS human being.
And sometimes just plain stupid-our instructor (a pathologist) told us a story about how a man tried to have oral relations with a cat....and ended up in the ER for puncture wounds in a very sensitive place.

I've heard stories too local to metro Detroit. It's just...so unimaginably a violation of everything.

I am so appalled by my sister's behavior right now I can't even think about it. I got an interview at Iowa and I was so happy. I asked the standard pet sitter to watch the dog but they were out of town that weekend. So I had to board my dog. He's very old and on hospice care, so I'm terrified of leaving him there and causing undue stress. I asked my sister to drop him off on Friday morning because our flight left at 7am and the boarding place didn't even open until 7:30am. No problem, sure. I asked if she might be able to pick him up on Saturday since we don't land until 10pm. She wanted to check her schedule a little closer to the date. Sure no problem. I asked a little closer, and she said it looks like she will be playing softball that day and she doesn't feel comfortable leaving him alone in her house. Um ok I was asking you to drop him off at my place on Saturday, I'll arrange for one of my nephews to watch him. Ok sure she can totally do that. I check in a little closer, suddenly she has to work and she's not sure if she can take time off to pick him up and watch him and she doesn't feel comfortable leaving him alone in her house. WTF I just told you a few days ago you only had to drop him off at my place?! Ok sure she can do that no problem. I must be an idiot because I believe her and we're leaving tomorrow and she's playing softball again and it's really too much of a hassle to drive there pick him up, drop him off at my place, and drive to softball. So she's just not gonna do that... with one day's notice :bang:. Why did you say you would and then flake out at the LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT?! I'm shaking with anger by this point but politely text her that's fine, can you drop him off on Friday still. Suddenly she'd all offended and doesn't like my attitude, and I should just be an adult and drop him off on Thursday because she's doing me such a huge favor and she doesn't have too. Leave him there until Sunday too. He's just off chemo, has maybe months to live, but sure stick him in a boarding facility for four days, because that's the responsible thing to do. I'm terrified I'm going to have to leave him there for days because she didn't want to tell me no in the beginning. Sorry for the really long angry rant, I'm just super upset by this. :(

I am so appalled by my sister's behavior right now I can't even think about it. I got an interview at Iowa and I was so happy. I asked the standard pet sitter to watch the dog but they were out of town that weekend. So I had to board my dog. He's very old and on hospice care, so I'm terrified of leaving him there and causing undue stress. I asked my sister to drop him off on Friday morning because our flight left at 7am and the boarding place didn't even open until 7:30am. No problem, sure. I asked if she might be able to pick him up on Saturday since we don't land until 10pm. She wanted to check her schedule a little closer to the date. Sure no problem. I asked a little closer, and she said it looks like she will be playing softball that day and she doesn't feel comfortable leaving him alone in her house. Um ok I was asking you to drop him off at my place on Saturday, I'll arrange for one of my nephews to watch him. Ok sure she can totally do that. I check in a little closer, suddenly she has to work and she's not sure if she can take time off to pick him up and watch him and she doesn't feel comfortable leaving him alone in her house. WTF I just told you a few days ago you only had to drop him off at my place?! Ok sure she can do that no problem. I must be an idiot because I believe her and we're leaving tomorrow and she's playing softball again and it's really too much of a hassle to drive there pick him up, drop him off at my place, and drive to softball. So she's just not gonna do that... with one day's notice :bang:. Why did you say you would and then flake out at the LAST POSSIBLE MOMENT?! I'm shaking with anger by this point but politely text her that's fine, can you drop him off on Friday still. Suddenly she'd all offended and doesn't like my attitude, and I should just be an adult and drop him off on Thursday because she's doing me such a huge favor and she doesn't have too. Leave him there until Sunday too. He's just off chemo, has maybe months to live, but sure stick him in a boarding facility for four days, because that's the responsible thing to do. I'm terrified I'm going to have to leave him there for days because she didn't want to tell me no in the beginning. Sorry for the really long angry rant, I'm just super upset by this. :(
Sorry to hear about this problem. If you lived near me (and I don't know if you do), I would have been happy to help out with your sweet dog.

Last edited:
I recently had to unfriend someone on social media for saying something that really struck a personal nerve with me. I was friends with this person throughout college but I've never been one to consider the Internet to be real life, meaning I don't think you necessarily have to be facebook friends with someone to keep them in your life. I mean, it was years before I added my own mother back because she wouldn't leave me alone about it.

I always had the sneaking suspicion that this person had it out for me, and I think it's true now because now our friend circle has turned on me and taken their side. Over taking someone off of my friends list. I have even had a mutual friend add me real quick to stalk me and see what I was doing and then delete me. It's just a seemingly juvenile thing to have to deal with with a group of 20+ year olds who now lead very different, busy lives.

I recently had to unfriend someone on social media for saying something that really struck a personal nerve with me. I was friends with this person throughout college but I've never been one to consider the Internet to be real life, meaning I don't think you necessarily have to be facebook friends with someone to keep them in your life. I mean, it was years before I added my own mother back because she wouldn't leave me alone about it.

I always had the sneaking suspicion that this person had it out for me, and I think it's true now because now our friend circle has turned on me and taken their side. Over taking someone off of my friends list. I have even had a mutual friend add me real quick to stalk me and see what I was doing and then delete me. It's just a seemingly juvenile thing to have to deal with with a group of 20+ year olds who now lead very different, busy lives.

Sounds like a good excuse to distance yourself from the lot of 'em and worry about more important things. People that treat social media as a way to continue the childish drama of high school (or vet school, honestly) are probably best when left off your friends list.

Reactions: 6 users
Immuno is really kicking me when I'm already down. :arghh: 24 more hours and I can pretend like this quarter never happened.

Sounds like you made the right choice...

That is really frustrating. :( I hope you're able to find something that will work.

Why is the 2nd Ed. of the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Manual so expensive??

I don't have $400 for 1 book. :rage:

(It's listed on Amazon.com for $999 which is kind of mind-boggling)

My heart hurts for you. I would be so so so angry if I was in this situation with my old man dog. I hope it works out!

Why is the 2nd Ed. of the Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Manual so expensive??

I don't have $400 for 1 book. :rage:

(It's listed on Amazon.com for $999 which is kind of mind-boggling)

Eh. That's a decent book, but I like Plunkett better.

That said, I made a copy of Mathew's entire DKA/Diabetes chapter as a handy quick reference until I got more comfortable with an approach that I like. Most of our hospitals have a copy of Mathew's in our libraries.

Cut my spay/neuter surgery day early yesterday because I was having an off day and then was starting to feel light headed. Didn't go away after I scrubbed out. Sucked it up for the rest of the day. Woke up still feeling like crapola this morning, called out sick (got berated for not calling out earlier--sorry, was trying to see if I could drag my ass out of bed to make it in!). Went to urgent care...I'm freaking dehydrated. Got threatened with an IV if I don't feel better in 48 hours. And I kind of feel like I'm on the verge of passing out. Except I have to work the next four days and this internship has already sent one of my internmates to the hospital with a kidney stone. FML. :(

I'll just go back to chugging my 3L bottle of water now...

Eh. That's a decent book, but I like Plunkett better.

That said, I made a copy of Mathew's entire DKA/Diabetes chapter as a handy quick reference until I got more comfortable with an approach that I like. Most of our hospitals have a copy of Mathew's in our libraries.

That's good to know because Plunkett isn't on my list of course recs from the criticalist.

Cut my spay/neuter surgery day early yesterday because I was having an off day and then was starting to feel light headed. Didn't go away after I scrubbed out. Sucked it up for the rest of the day. Woke up still feeling like crapola this morning, called out sick (got berated for not calling out earlier--sorry, was trying to see if I could drag my ass out of bed to make it in!). Went to urgent care...I'm freaking dehydrated. Got threatened with an IV if I don't feel better in 48 hours. And I kind of feel like I'm on the verge of passing out. Except I have to work the next four days and this internship has already sent one of my internmates to the hospital with a kidney stone. FML. :(

I'll just go back to chugging my 3L bottle of water now...
Geez, hope you feel better. Are you not allowed to sneak away to hydrate during the work day? Or are you just so busy you kind of forget? I worked with a tech who wore a vibrating watch that would remind her every hour to go drink some water, she said it was a lifesaver. It's so easy to go the entire day without drinking a single thing, especially when your slammed and don't get a lunch.

Geez, hope you feel better. Are you not allowed to sneak away to hydrate during the work day? Or are you just so busy you kind of forget? I worked with a tech who wore a vibrating watch that would remind her every hour to go drink some water, she said it was a lifesaver. It's so easy to go the entire day without drinking a single thing, especially when your slammed and don't get a lunch.
We're totally allowed to go sneak away. Even have a "lunch break" (hahaha). Just life gets in the way...

That's good to know because Plunkett isn't on my list of course recs from the criticalist.

They are both similar sorta "how to" cookbook type of books; no deep pathophys in either of them - just "here's how to handle this type of problem."

In that sense, they are great for a new grad to have handy kinda in the same way that Clinical Veterinary Advisor is handy in a broader GP sense.

Both of them have some outdated info, so you have to use decent judgment. But I still find them (especially Plunkett) useful for quick reference sometimes.

What are you getting these for? An actual class? Rotation? Planning to use them after graduation? Unless you're planning on doing emergency/critical care work I don't really think either of them are necessary.