RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know. If there were time for it, I probably would have worked it into the schedule by now.

I think, recently, I've been having trouble stringing 4-6 dates with the same person together before they get sick of my schedule. Then it comes down to some low-grade ultimatum between work and date.

Mostly, it's just expensive and boring. Paying for about 15 1st, 2nd and 3rd dates over the last year has strained the finances.

The only reason it would seem like a good idea to me to date from the vet pool is that you're not going to get those schedule conflicts. Both people understand the time constraints, and nobody is going to pitch a fit.

Thank god for the rant page. I pretty much never talk about this stuff with my friends and family. I'm too busy maintaining the Nerd-Monk persona to ever admit that the situation actually bothers me.

/rant.

gotta go with libster on the always time for sex thing - even in vet school.
how come you have to pay all the time?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know. If there were time for it, I probably would have worked it into the schedule by now.

I think, recently, I've been having trouble stringing 4-6 dates with the same person together before they get sick of my schedule. Then it comes down to some low-grade ultimatum between work and date.

Mostly, it's just expensive and boring. Paying for about 15 1st, 2nd and 3rd dates over the last year has strained the finances.

The only reason it would seem like a good idea to me to date from the vet pool is that you're not going to get those schedule conflicts. Both people understand the time constraints, and nobody is going to pitch a fit.

Thank god for the rant page. I pretty much never talk about this stuff with my friends and family. I'm too busy maintaining the Nerd-Monk persona to ever admit that the situation actually bothers me.

/rant.

Sounds like you need to date a different type of person. I dated someone in the humanities for 2.5 years, and my schedule was a HUGE strain on the relationship. I busted ass to get into vet school, and he was happy getting C's in easy history classes. It was really difficult to explain why we needed to go to sleep NOW or why I couldn't just go out for a quick dinner on Friday.

I've been seeing a grad student this semester, and we get along much better in terms of schedules. He's not done with work until late, and that gives me a chance to get all of my bidness done, and then we usually hang out for a bit and go to sleep early, then get up early for school/work. We go out on the weekends when we can, but he understands what it's like to have work, school, and stressful deadlines. Both of us try to be respectful of each other's commitments.

Also I don't think he took me out to dinner for quite awhile. ;) We met for drinks our first two dates, went dutch, and then went for an afternoon float in his canoe for the third. Maybe you're attracted to the "wrong" person? I don't mean wrong like they're bad people or anything, but perhaps you're pursuing people who aren't in the right situation to be understanding of yours? I don't mean to be all preach-y advice-y, but there's gotta be a way to make it work. :)

There is always time for sex.

I have absolutely no desire to date/find a guy within the vet school. They're great guys, but I am up to my cojones in vet school already I could not come home and hang out with that at night.
Thus I've basically resigned myself to waiting til after vet school is over to cultivate a relationship with someone not affiliated with my profession :)

This.

There is always time for sex.

I actually have a rule, re dating vet students. I don't do it. Not that there are many good candidates in vet school anyway:p. But I spend 40hrs a week in a classroom with them - I then study with them - I play sport with some of them - I party with some of them - I live with one of them - I work with vets - I live at a vet clinic - for the love of god, the LAST thing I need is to date someone from vet school!!! Not only that, but I know about every single person they have kissed/had sex with/held hands with/looked at sideways in the last 3 years. I do not want to be added to the "smut list" :laugh:

I've been trying to mix dating into my work and school schedule for the last 2 years, and have failed pretty miserably.

Nobody ever likes to be told that studying is more important than sex. Or that you need to skip a date because you're still at work and you want to help them take the eye out. My genetic inability to sugar-coat anything probably helps this process along to it's terminal point.

I'm vaguely hoping I can get back into dating once I go to school, and find someone with overlapping interests and schedule, but I also realize that premise is pretty ******ed.

My boyfriend is an electrician. He is totally fine with being told those things. Mainly because he knows I love him and will make time for him later - but also because he knows I've been on this path long before him, and if we end badly, will be on it way after him. He loves dogs, and finds what I do interesting, but he is also the number one person who lets me unwind and forget after a rough day at school or work. And you need one of those!!!

If you let your whole life be vet, you WILL go batsh*t insane. You'll be like the owner of the cat im taking care of right now - she wanted to get the cats tail taxidermied after it was amputated?! :confused: But seriously, you do need outside people. I second whoever said you were dating crappy people.

MY RANT:

So we have a cat in the clinic I live at atm...
Like, 20 years ago, this woman ran over her 20yo cat and killed it. She was like, 22 at the time and felt terrible (as you do) and couldnt stomach getting another cat for 10 years. Then, when the new cat was 4, it got hit by a car. She then went insane. The cats tail had to be amputated, rendering it permanently faecally and urinarily incontinent. She looked in to getting the tail taxidermied, until the surgeon pointed out the tail would have to be shaved for the surgery... She then took to changing nappies on the poor cat, and has designated a room at her house just for him that he can have "nappy free time" in. Of course, she does not have a partner or kids.
Fast forward 6 years, and the cat has developed a protein losing enteropathy. It is trying so, so hard to die. It had to be resusciated at the emergency clinic, where afterward it spent 4 days in a coma. It has a central line and a nasogastric tube. When it woke up, she insisted that it get moved here because we are more "nurturing". Since then her cat has plugged along, staying alive, but not really improving - but she insists it is. EVEN THOUGH ITS NOT!!!
So this poor cat has to live in a cage, almost permanently covered in his own faeces and urine, because we cant keep him clean enough, being fed through his nose and with a billion lines running in to him, getting a billion drugs a day. He's been like this for a week now, with no real improvement. Yesterday he started spiking a fever - so that central line has to come out, but we've got no good peripheral vein. And we need fluids to maintain blood pressure in this cat - he'll tank without it. He's started getting a skin infection from lying in his own urine. And this woman just completely fails to see that her cat is dying, a slow, horrible death! I dont understand how people can "love" something so much and yet be so selfish!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be like the owner of the cat im taking care of right now - she wanted to get the cats tail taxidermied after it was amputated?! :confused:

can you believe i can top that? we had a client once that euthanized her dog/cat (can't remember which now! haha), was going to have it cremated so we put it on ice, and then called back later asking for an ear?? apparently it was a really soft ear and she wanted to have it preserved. the receptionist ended up convincing her that it was not really possible or a good idea, thank goodness! people are weird!

My girlfriend and I went home for the weekend and just got back to Columbus. We walked into the house expecting some relief from the heat that is oppressive here right now, even at 10 pm. We opened the door, and it was even hotter inside than it was outside. I looked at the thermostat and for some reason our roommate had shut the air conditioner off and it was NINETY-ONE DEGREES in our apartment. Really?? You can't just turn the thermostat up to, say, 77 or so if you want to use less air conditioning (I think she went home for the day)? My poor dog (a Boxer) is walking around panting his butt off. He's had two bowls of water to drink and I wet a rag and got is head and ears wet, but I feel terrible for him =( It's down to 83 now, so hopefully it cools the rest of the way pretty soon.

My stupid cross-eye that's more noticeable when I wear my contacts instead of my gigantic, face-shielding glasses. Bleh.

My girlfriend and I went home for the weekend and just got back to Columbus. We walked into the house expecting some relief from the heat that is oppressive here right now, even at 10 pm. We opened the door, and it was even hotter inside than it was outside. I looked at the thermostat and for some reason our roommate had shut the air conditioner off and it was NINETY-ONE DEGREES in our apartment. Really?? You can't just turn the thermostat up to, say, 77 or so if you want to use less air conditioning (I think she went home for the day)? My poor dog (a Boxer) is walking around panting his butt off. He's had two bowls of water to drink and I wet a rag and got is head and ears wet, but I feel terrible for him =( It's down to 83 now, so hopefully it cools the rest of the way pretty soon.

Ugh, my Bernese Mountain Dog is melting in this heat, and it's supposed to get worse tomorrow!

Taken completely out of context, this is one of the funniest things I've ever read on SDN.

Thanks, Bunnity!

:laugh::laugh::laugh: I actually had that thought too, but it was even funnier after you pointed it out again!

Ugh, my Bernese Mountain Dog is melting in this heat, and it's supposed to get worse tomorrow!

After reading all of these comments about sex, I read the above as "Ugh, my Bernese Mountain Dog is in heat, and it's supposed to get worse tomorrow!"

thanks for the laugh bunnity :smuggrin:. that was good.

(and yes, anyone who has time to idly check SDN or post on it has time for at least a quickie)

ya know, i've always said i'm either going to find myself a nice engineer or a nice vet/MD. i've struck out twice with engineers, i think perhaps life is telling me to move on to the next profession!

he didnt dislike animals so much as we didnt see eye to eye. he didnt grow up with pets (i feel super sorry for people in this category, life without pets is so sad). he sees animals more as a food chain kind of thing (we can eat and hunt whatever) while i view all life as precious. and my pets are my kids. he didnt understand that either.

oh well. long distance would have really stunk and been really tough so this is for the best. it just doesnt happen to mean i like it any more than i do (which is not at all haha). and i totally agree-those 35% are huge losers! who does that?!

One of the vets I'm working for now, who did long-distance in vet school and is now married to her, told me the other day "If you weren't meant to work out, you would break up vet school or no vet school". Guess we'll see, for me!

Mine's an engineer and while polar opposites in many ways, it works out great. I don't think I could date another vet/vet student..

My rant is that it's freaking HOT outside :(

can you believe i can top that? we had a client once that euthanized her dog/cat (can't remember which now! haha), was going to have it cremated so we put it on ice, and then called back later asking for an ear?? apparently it was a really soft ear and she wanted to have it preserved. the receptionist ended up convincing her that it was not really possible or a good idea, thank goodness! people are weird!

I like to think I can now top that.

Tonight, this client gave me a t-shirt with a picture of her cat on it. She has a whole clothing line devoted to her cat - I got one about how im a god for feeding animals...

Members don't see this ad :)
My rant of the day is that this entire quarter I thought my group's final presentation for our capstone course was scheduled for Friday--turns out it's really scheduled for TOMORROW! I feel terrible, because I've been doing the work and stuff for my portion of the presentation, but I think it looks bad that I didn't realize this and was kind of being sluggish because I thought we had until Friday. I feel like a total tool. :( Especially because we have to evaluate our group members-I hope my group members don't think I suck too bad.

I like to think I can now top that.

Tonight, this client gave me a t-shirt with a picture of her cat on it. She has a whole clothing line devoted to her cat - I got one about how im a god for feeding animals...

perfect, take a photo and share?
my only concern for you is... does said client expect you to wear the shirt?
and is her clothing line available to the masses? I don't know why but I am fascinated and amused.

perfect, take a photo and share?
my only concern for you is... does said client expect you to wear the shirt?
and is her clothing line available to the masses? I don't know why but I am fascinated and amused.

Haha, yes, they are avaliable to the masses! Lots of different t-shirt have been produced, along with jumpers, pjs, bags, wine coolers... so much stuff! I would post a pic/link but allowing the brand to be seen would enable the client to be identified, breaching client confidentiality. And even though you guys are in the states... Yeah. You know how it is.

RANT: Its approximately 50 hours until I fail my diagnostic pathology prac exam. Atleast I get to pass pharmacology in between now and then :(

I didn't need this today. My AVC interview is tomorrow. We came up to PEI today. We had booked at a two-bedroom cottage so my mom and step dad could have one room and I could have the other. We arrive, and there's dump trucks replacing the gravel in the driveways of the cottages. The woman doesn't have our reservation, she says she only handles the phone reservations and the guy who does internet reservations is somewhere else. But there's no other reservations here tonight, so she takes us into a 2 bedroom cottage. The furniture isn't where it should be (kitchen chairs in the bathroom, table upturned on the sofa), the windows are all open so it's freezing, there's crown molding that should be on the wall, but is stood in a corner, the wallpaper is peeling off the wall... "Well we just had the carpets cleaned and we're getting ready for a busy tourist season." Surprise! It's June! Tourist season IS HERE!

We're now in a Comfort Inn down the road. :mad:

good luck for your interview tomorrow, coquette! I'll keep my fingers crossed that it goes as you hope!

(sorry about the stupid hotel...but in teh scheme of things - just let it slide. No use sweating over things you can't change!)

Kinda going through a downer right now. Drove to my SO's house (30 min drive) to break up (6.5 year relationship). After hearing all of the horror stories of SDNer's getting the bad news through text messages, I thought he at least deserved it face to face. Things just weren't working out anymore and I don't agree with all of the decisions he has made recently. Now, I am alone in a town for the summer where I don't really know anyone. It sucks..:(

Kinda going through a downer right now. Drove to my SO's house (30 min drive) to break up (6.5 year relationship). After hearing all of the horror stories of SDNer's getting the bad news through text messages, I thought he at least deserved it face to face. Things just weren't working out anymore and I don't agree with all of the decisions he has made recently. Now, I am alone in a town for the summer where I don't really know anyone. It sucks..:(

*hug* It sucks to be dumped, but it sucks to dump, too, especially when you still care about the person and feel responsible for making them upset. Post-break up is a great time to rediscover yourself and gain a new perspective on things, even if it might not feel that way right now. Hang in there!

*hug* It sucks to be dumped, but it sucks to dump, too, especially when you still care about the person and feel responsible for making them upset. Post-break up is a great time to rediscover yourself and gain a new perspective on things, even if it might not feel that way right now. Hang in there!
Thanks, breenie.:)

Summer classes started today. My class is online. I would think that I would have been sent some information, either via BlackBoard or e-mail...nothing.

I e-mail the prof last night. No reply. I am not a happy camper :mad:

Ummmmm....I am majorly screwed. My AP bio course is not listed on my university's transcript. It was listed on my audit, so I had no idea that it would not be listed on my transcript (the credits are there but the course title is not). I really hope this can be fixed, cuz otherwise I will need to take another freaking intro bio course after I've already graduated...with a degree in biology. FML

Ummmmm....I am majorly screwed. My AP bio course is not listed on my university's transcript. It was listed on my audit, so I had no idea that it would not be listed on my transcript (the credits are there but the course title is not). I really hope this can be fixed, cuz otherwise I will need to take another freaking intro bio course after I've already graduated...with a degree in biology. FML

It's probably an error with the registrar's office. I would call them asap to figure out what happened and how to fix it. I'm sure that even if there was a paper mix-up you would be able to provide paperwork showing you passed the AP bio test and therefore deserve the credits. Good luck!

Also, I know you feel, it seems like if there is ever going to be a paperwork snafoo (?) I always end up getting the short end of the stick. Around this time last year when I started applying I realized that my transcripts for an online course had a C- on it instead of an A. Now that's a BIG mistake!

I have short fuse right now. very short. If it doesn't stop being freaking 50 degrees outside and rainy and drizzly, I will throw one frickin big tantrum. I LIVE for summer, heat, sunshine, happiness. My favourite feeling is when you step out of a building with AC and literally get stopped in your tracks by the monstrous heat.

It is JUNE. JUNE 4th to be exact. I live in CALIFORNIA. Why the h. e. double frickin hockey sticks am I wearing long sleeves and drinking HOT TEA?????

:thumbdown:mad::confused:
I hate winter. hate hate hate hate hate.

I have short fuse right now. very short. If it doesn't stop being freaking 50 degrees outside and rainy and drizzly, I will throw one frickin big tantrum. I LIVE for summer, heat, sunshine, happiness. My favourite feeling is when you step out of a building with AC and literally get stopped in your tracks by the monstrous heat.

It is JUNE. JUNE 4th to be exact. I live in CALIFORNIA. Why the h. e. double frickin hockey sticks am I wearing long sleeves and drinking HOT TEA?????

:thumbdown:mad::confused:
I hate winter. hate hate hate hate hate.

Let's switch places...it's June 4th and we have already had 3 days over 100 degrees. No bueno. I hate Florida...hate hate hate hate lol. I am a big fan of 60 degrees. Even 70 I can handle. Once we get to 80 I start getting uncomfortable. 90 is like torture. 100+ I would rather die than go outside. The issue is that it's never a dry hot. It's a nasty, muggy, humid, dripping-sweat-when-you-walk-out-the-door hot.

Also, I know you feel, it seems like if there is ever going to be a paperwork snafoo (?) I always end up getting the short end of the stick. Around this time last year when I started applying I realized that my transcripts for an online course had a C- on it instead of an A. Now that's a BIG mistake!

I would like to offer my moral support, one time the registrar's office LOST my paperwork to drop a PE class I didn't have enough credits for, and so there was a "surprise" 0.0 on my transcript. The office told me it wasn't their problem, and I firmly kept telling them otherwise until it was fixed, which took weeks and weeks and lots of traipsing around for signatures on my part, during summer quarter no less when everyone was on vacation. The moral of the story is it's good to find these things out now, rather than at the end of August with the VMCAS deadline looming...

I would like to offer my moral support, one time the registrar's office LOST my paperwork to drop a PE class I didn't have enough credits for, and so there was a "surprise" 0.0 on my transcript.

You know, an F in PE might make for an exciting explanation statement that might make someone stand out, esp if they're not very memorable otherwise ;).

You know, an F in PE might make for an exciting explanation statement that might make someone stand out, esp if they're not very memorable otherwise ;).

I know right, I could have titled that statement "you might be wondering why a person who got an A in O-Chem failed PE..."

I know right, I could have titled that statement "you might be wondering why a person who got an A in O-Chem failed PE..."

"I spent so much time in the chemistry library that all the muscles in my legs atrophied. But my brain is as strong as ever. I believe all the time spent in windowless rooms has prepared me for the never-ending studying of vet school, and guess what-- I won't be worrying about silly things like making time to go to the gym"

Does anyone in a pre-vet program ever get the feeling that everything you have done, all the hours of experience you have garnered, just won't be good enough? This is a feeling I have, and it bugs me. It would sometimes be nice to know if some kind of threshold. Its understandable that if we don't know the cutoff, we always end up blowing past it in our attempts to better ourselves, and yes, I have just answered my own question/rant/statement, but then again, thats what the thread is for :rolleyes:

Does anyone in a pre-vet program ever get the feeling that everything you have done, all the hours of experience you have garnered, just won't be good enough? This is a feeling I have, and it bugs me. It would sometimes be nice to know if some kind of threshold. Its understandable that if we don't know the cutoff, we always end up blowing past it in our attempts to better ourselves, and yes, I have just answered my own question/rant/statement, but then again, thats what the thread is for :rolleyes:

I feel like that every second of every day.What sucks is everyone you know, knows your applying, family, friends, work.. so not getting in will be hard enough, but then everyone constantly asking you about it will just make me want to move away..lol. This happend to a girl I worked with last year who did not get it, I felt so bad for her. This whole thing is just so stressfull.. Then having Doctors I work with tell me they regret going to vet school while I am busting my but in organic chem ready to just become a teacher anyways does not help!!! :mad:

I think everyone feels that way. You just have to believe that it will be good enough, and if it's not, eventually it will be because you will keep working your butt off until it is.

That's what got me sleep at night, at least.

I still get those feelings all the time! I don't think it's the impostor syndrome, because I'm uber cocky and feel qualified as anyone to be where I am... but even then, I wonder how in the world I'm ever going to become a good clinician. Like no matter what I do, I'm going to be doing a disservice to the animals under my care because I won't be good enough.

If we didn't feel like this, SDN Pre-Vet would about 95% smaller than it is. I'm having a bad case of this right now. After being rejected last year, I'm gunshy this year, even though I feel like my interview went 100 times better (flowed better, I was more relaxed, but I don't know if I gave the "right" answers) and I improved my grades and my experience. I just don't feel like it's enough at this point. :rolleyes:

I hate dystocias. And I hate that I'm in KS and my cattle are in PA and there is nothing I can do from here.

And what's worse is it is a cow I already sold but was holding until after she calved since she was so close.

Anyone have any good destressing things you can do from 11 at night on?

EDIT: And we lost the calf. Its going to be a long year.

Last edited by a moderator:

So they won't put it on my transcript. And vet schools won't accept AP scores without it being on one. Guess who needs to take intro to bio this summer? I am so freaking p'oed right now, I can't even tell you. And the woman was snippy with me on the phone after I told her that it was ridiculous that I now need to take a freshman intro to bio class after having just graduated with a bachelor's in biology.

So they won't put it on my transcript. And vet schools won't accept AP scores without it being on one. Guess who needs to take intro to bio this summer? I am so freaking p'oed right now, I can't even tell you. And the woman was snippy with me on the phone after I told her that it was ridiculous that I now need to take a freshman intro to bio class after having just graduated with a bachelor's in biology.
That seriously blows. Did you talk to your advisor? There has to be a way around this..good luck!

That seriously blows. Did you talk to your advisor? There has to be a way around this..good luck!

I emailed her on Friday, and she's usually quick about emails, but she hasn't gotten back to me yet. I wonder if she's not checking her email so much because it's the summer. So I texted her. Maybe she'll let me do it as an independent study or something. This is just even more ironic because I TA'ed that class...

Can you talk to the schools you're applying to? I thought some schools would accept an AP score report showing a high enough grade. That, and if you point out that the credits appear on your transcript you might be able to convince them.

Can you talk to the schools you're applying to? I thought some schools would accept an AP score report showing a high enough grade. That, and if you point out that the credits appear on your transcript you might be able to convince them.

Thanks cowgirla. I'm going to try that...unfortunately I am applying to 14 schools. So if 1 school doesn't take it, I'm SOL. Time for the mass email party.

Another rant. I called my mom b/c I was upset. And she called the freaking registrar's office without my knowledge. Seriously?? I'm 22 y/o...stop trying to fix things for me and let me do it myself. I'm not a baby, and I'm not my sister who needs stuff like this done for her (and she's 25). At least ask me first. And then the associate dean called me and she was not too nice because I would assume she doesn't like parents questioning university policy.

Thanks cowgirla. I'm going to try that...unfortunately I am applying to 14 schools. So if 1 school doesn't take it, I'm SOL. Time for the mass email party.

Wait, what? If 1 school doesn't take it, you're only SOL at that school, right? Am I missing something?

This seems like one of those seriously annoying headaches that you ought to be able to resolve with sufficient phone calls, emails, and sweet-talking.

Wait, what? If 1 school doesn't take it, you're only SOL at that school, right? Am I missing something?

This seems like one of those seriously annoying headaches that you ought to be able to resolve with sufficient phone calls, emails, and sweet-talking.

My prehealth committee won't accept late submissions at this point, so technically, you're right, I'd only be SOL at one (or more) schools. But I'd like to replace those schools, if it were possible, to stay at 14. I'm just gonna have to see how it goes. Thanks LIS :)

Windows Live hates me and I hate it.

..... shoulda got a mac.

I have a mac, and I'm using it right now... My undergrad (in the University of MO system) offers gmail as an option, as well as Windows Live. I opted for gmail, but MU (and, thus, the vet school) only offers Windows Live, so I had to activate it. Not only did it activate the wrong address (i.e. one that won't work with Windows Live) but it also took priority for any emails coming in to my old gmail address, so I can send emails still, but not receive them. Awesome.

I have a mac, and I'm using it right now... My undergrad (in the University of MO system) offers gmail as an option, as well as Windows Live. I opted for gmail, but MU (and, thus, the vet school) only offers Windows Live, so I had to activate it. Not only did it activate the wrong address (i.e. one that won't work with Windows Live) but it also took priority for any emails coming in to my old gmail address, so I can send emails still, but not receive them. Awesome.

Dude, that sucks. The first thing I did with my Mizzou email was import it into my Gmail. I haven't touched Windows Live since I received the first email. Even that was bad enough. I feel your pain.