Rant - People who underestimate me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh Rachiie, and right when I was falling in love.

What if you compare top 15 law schools to top 15 med schools?

And how can you say that the next 150 law schools = unsuccessful? By what metric? Just income?

There are thousands of very engaged and committed lawyers who went to no-name law schools who believe they are doing fine. Let's start with grads who admittedly begin with low salaries as ADA's and public defenders but many of whom go on into private law firms (or start their own) later.

And do you believe that the Wash U med grads have the exact same career trajectory as the Albany and Drexel grads?

Also keep in mind that law grads are out there and working after only 3 years. For MD's it's usually at least 8 years. Huge difference, including with respect to delayed income.

I'm sure there is a legitimate point you are making but I'm not sure you've made it yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh Rachiie, and right when I was falling in love.

What if you compare top 15 law schools to top 15 med schools?

And how can you say that the next 150 law schools = unsuccessful? By what metric? Just income?

There are thousands of very engaged and committed lawyers who went to no-name law schools who believe they are doing fine. Let's start with grads who admittedly begin with low salaries as ADA's and public defenders but many of whom go on into private law firms (or start their own) later.

And do you believe that the Wash U med grads have the exact same career trajectory as the Albany and Drexel grads?

Also keep in mind that law grads are out there and working after only 3 years. For MD's it's usually at least 8 years. Huge difference, including with respect to delayed income.

I'm sure there is a legitimate point you are making but I'm not sure you've made it yet.

Well, from a salary standpoint, having the Wash U behind your name won't do you any more favors than having a Drexel. That is, unless you want to go into academic medicine. And it's exactly the same in law school if you'd like to go into academia.

Even if you graduate from the lowest ranked D.O. school, you're virtually guaranteed an income of 150K+. Law salaries are not even comparable.

And yes, success in a career is generally based upon salary in the professional realm.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'll build off @HCHopeful's post and add that salary isn't the concern, landing a full-time job is.

If you think that you can attend any US law school and be guaranteed the same prospects for success as a student who graduated from any US med school, you're sorely mistaken. And I'm not just talking about income. I think the match rate for US med students to residency is like what, 98%? (Correct me if that's wrong). In contrast, the percentage of law school graduates landing a job within 9 months of graduating that required their JD was only 57% in 2013!!! Can you imagine graduating with six figures of debt and not landing a full-time job? Many law students who don't graduate from T14 end up taking jobs that don't even require their degree just to secure employment.

I'll build off @HCHopeful's post and add that salary isn't the concern, landing a full-time job is.

If you think that you can attend any US law school and be guaranteed the same prospects for success as a student who graduated from any US med school, you're sorely mistaken. And I'm not just talking about income. I think the match rate for US med students to residency is like what, 98%? (Correct me if that's wrong). In contrast, the percentage of law school graduates landing a job within 9 months of graduating that required their JD was only 57% in 2013!!! Can you imagine graduating with six figures of debt and not landing a full-time job? Many law students who don't graduate from T14 end up taking jobs that don't even require their degree just to secure employment.

That 98% is for Allopathic medical school students. D.O. is somewhere in the mid-70's.

EDIT: According to nrmp.org, in 2015, U.S. Allopathic students (MD) had a match rate of 93.9%, and Osteopathic students (DO) had a rate of 79.3% (the highest ever).

Reactions: 1 user
Well, from a salary standpoint, having the Wash U behind your name won't do you any more favors than having a Drexel. That is, unless you want to go into academic medicine. And it's exactly the same in law school if you'd like to go into academia.

It's not exactly the same, unfortunately. Law is much more hierarchical than medicine and the name of your school matters significantly. It isn't academia that most law students are gunning for, it's Big Law, and Big Law cares very much about T14.

It's not exactly the same, unfortunately. Law is much more hierarchical than medicine and the name of your school matters significantly. It isn't academia that most law students are gunning for, it's Big Law, and Big Law cares very much about T14.

That may be true as well, but from what I've been told from friends of mine going into law, anyone aspiring for academia in law has no choice but to attend a top 14 school.

I have no doubt that most are gunning for big law, as it pays very well.

This is exactly why the concept of privilege is not supposed to be blankly applied to individuals. Yet this happens all of the time...
You're clearly a cis white high-SES male. Check your privilege

That may be true as well, but from what I've been told from friends of mine going into law, anyone aspiring for academia in law has no choice but to attend a top 14 school.

I have no doubt that most are gunning for big law, as it pays very well.

I misread. That explains my low verbal score haha.

Absolutely, academia definitely cares about T14. The difference between medicine and law though is that outside of academia, law still cares about T14 lol.

If this is the case, I think it is premed's responsibility, whose relatives are immigrant doctors, to inform them about how competitive it is to get into medical school in the US/Canada in the year of 2015. Ohh if I have that chance, I will pull up some AAMC data and sit them down to get this straight ;)

Doesnt always work though.

Even if you graduate from the lowest ranked D.O. school, you're virtually guaranteed an income of 150K+. Law salaries are not even comparable.

And yes, success in a career is generally based upon salary in the professional realm.

Are you saying that access to the more lucrative specialties is just as easy from Albany as Wash U?

And Rachiie, are those numbers for employment for any job, or just a job that new law grads consider attractive? Not to mention that a law grad can get all kinds of different jobs (legislative aide for a Senator or Congressperson comes to mind) that aren't necessarily lawyer-specific jobs, and not to mention that even if a lawyer is unemployed for 2 full years they still could end up ahead of physicians by a full 3 years in terms of getting their careers started. And I've also seen new law grads from brand new unranked law schools get jobs right away (albeit at the ADA/public defender levels). And some of what you are getting at is cyclical, right? We're in a period where we don't have enough physicians and we have a glut of lawyers, in which case I wouldn't confuse cyclical with a fundamental difference in difficulty. I don't think there's any question that it's harder to get into a US med school than a US law school.

So this is going to be a rant and I don't mean for it to amount to more than just that and maybe y'all can share your experiences.

Basically I'm visiting relatives for the 4th of July with family (against my will) and my uncles who are doctors come up to me and ask me how college is going and how preparing to apply to medical school next year has been. I tell them good and then they ask me what my GPA is and I say 3.65 but I'm hoping to raise it to a 3.67/3.68 before graduating. They then both tell me "oh well you might want to consider taking the DAT or LSAT. You definitely don't have a shot for CA schools and you'd be lucky if you got in anywhere in the U.S. You're just not unique enough to get into medical school."

Okay so I'm a pretty stubborn person and beyond that I don't put up with people's **** so you can imagine the frustration I feel when they tell me this and I can't rip them a new one because my mom would scold me for not being lady-like.

But what the hell?! Okay first of all they barely know me, how the hell can they say I have no shot based SOLELY on my GPA and their opinion of me as not being "unique".

Reminds me of the horrible pre-med advisors at my school who told me I have no shot back in my freshman year when I had a 3.75...

God it's just so frustrating because I know they're judging me based on the fact that I'm a woman who likes to do my makeup lol.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Sigh. End rant.
Don't talk about your aspirations. Problem solved. Results speak much more loudly than anything you could say anyway.

Though Cali is tough- your results are going to strongly depend on your MCAT.

Are you saying that access to the more lucrative specialties is just as easy from Albany as Wash U?

And Rachiie, are those numbers for employment for any job, or just a job that new law grads consider attractive? Not to mention that a law grad can get all kinds of different jobs (legislative aide for a Senator or Congressperson comes to mind) that aren't necessarily lawyer-specific jobs, and not to mention that even if a lawyer is unemployed for 2 full years they still could end up ahead of physicians by a full 3 years in terms of getting their careers started. And I've also seen new law grads from brand new unranked law schools get jobs right away (albeit at the ADA/public defender levels). And some of what you are getting at is cyclical, right? We're in a period where we don't have enough physicians and we have a glut of lawyers, in which case I wouldn't confuse cyclical with a fundamental difference in difficulty. I don't think there's any question that it's harder to get into a US med school than a US law school.

Yes. I am saying that. As long as one has good Steps, good research, high class rankings, and a few good things that sets them apart, they can get into a lucrative specialty.

Heck. You don't even need something to set yourself apart. The other aspects of the residency app do that already.

Members don't see this ad :)

No question to your last point at all. Getting into a medical school isn't even comparable to getting into a law school, as the latter is so much easier.

As for the rest of your post, you're very unrealistic about the employment prospects of law school grads outside of T14. Only 57% (I think it bumped up a percent in 2014) of law school grads were able to secure a full-time job within 9 months of graduating that required passing the bar. That includes T14, so the percentage outside of T14 is much lower. The percentage of students that are able to land a job that doesn't require passing the bar is irrelevant, because who the hell wants to pay six figures for a degree only to land a job that doesn't require it? These aren't jobs that students find "attractive", these are jobs that require their degree and passing the bar.

If a lawyer is unemployed for two years out of law school, the chances of him landing a job that catches him up to the salary of his physician counterpart is slim to none. I don't think you're realizing that outside of T14, the law school graduates that are "successful" are generally ones that are landing 50k/year jobs that they didn't want and repaying 120k (conservative) of debt. Not only that, but those jobs are generally short-term and don't offer stability beyond 1-3 years of employment.

This is the reason I don't take having a loving and supportive immediate and extended family for granted. Sorry OP. Just use it as motivation.

Yes. I am saying that. As long as one has good Steps, good research, high class rankings, and a few good things that sets them apart, they can get into a lucrative specialty.

Heck. You don't even need something to set yourself apart. The other aspects of the residency app do that already.

Hmm, I though the argument was cleared up!

Rachie is saying that it is harder to be be successful in the law career (If we determine success to be landing a full time job after graduation) than it is compared to the medical career.

Obviously its going to be easier to get into A medical school than it is the Top 14 Law schools which apparently according to Rachiie is the only way you can confidently be sure you are going to land a full time job in the USA.

However, if we arent discussing the top 14 law schools, as I have posted earlier, it is pretty much an asinine joke to get into the other OCEAN of law schools in the country. But again, Rachiie makes the point that this is a moot

point because if you dont go top 14 Law schools you are essentially screwed anyways.

I think the issue is we are mixing academic difficulty and Job security into one giant conglomerate that is supposed to answer the question "Is the pre-med or pre-law track more difficult?"

Academic difficulty wise... It is GENERALLY much more difficult to gain acceptance to a medical school than it is law school. However, naturally it is going to be much harder to gain admission to

Princeton Law (lolz) vs (Insert any low tier medical program in the country).

Job Security wise... we all know that Law is hitting the gutter hard on this one. There is no comparison. Law school applications have dropped nearly 30 percent because of how bad the market is. Its totally shot.

Hmm, I though the argument was cleared up!

Rachie is saying that it is harder to be be successful in the law career (If we determine success to be landing a full time job after graduation) than it is compared to the medical career.

Obviously its going to be easier to get into A medical school than it is the Top 14 Law schools which apparently according to Rachiie is the only way you can confidently be sure you are going to land a full time job in the USA.

However, if we arent discussing the top 14 law schools, as I have posted earlier, it is pretty much an asinine joke to get into the other OCEAN of law schools in the country. But again, Rachiie makes the point that this is a moot

point because if you dont go top 14 Law schools you are essentially screwed anyways.

I think the issue is we are mixing academic difficulty and Job security into one giant conglomerate that is supposed to answer the question "Is the pre-med or pre-law track more difficult?"

Academic difficulty wise... It is GENERALLY much more difficult to gain acceptance to a medical school than it is law school. However, naturally it is going to be much harder to gain admission to

Princeton Law (lolz) vs (Insert any low tier medical program in the country).

Job Security wise... we all know that Law is hitting the gutter hard on this one. There is no comparison. Law school applications have dropped nearly 30 percent because of how bad the market is. Its totally shot.

I don't think you meant to quote me. I've been agreeing with @rachiie01 for the past hour.

This post should be directed at @Nietzschelover

I don't think you meant to quote me. I've been agreeing with @rachiie01 for the past hour.

This post should be directed at @Nietzschelover

Hahahahahahaha I literally lol'ed on that one.

First, I'm so sorry we derailed this thread so badly.
Second, let me continue to derail it: I disagree with a little bit of what @Gandy741 is saying. I think because law requires you to be at the very top, the academic track to get there isn't as easy as you're implying it to be. There aren't pre-reqs for law school except the LSAT, so I guess you could argue that the courses pre-med kids take are more difficult, and I wouldn't disagree. That said, I think it's much more difficult to score in the top 5% of the LSAT that it is to score a 30+ on the MCAT, and most T14 law schools won't take you unless you've challenged yourself academically.

Edit: I also don't feel as strongly as his post implies. I think there are cases of lawyers finding success outside of T14, but it's rare and certainly not worth gambling student loans on. The safest, surest way to have success in law is T14.

you're going to have people underestimate you your whole life
a bunch of women in my class have told me about them being mistaken for nurses
just got to deal with it and hopefully not let it bother you

even winged scapula gets asked where the doctor is when people are coming to see dr. cox although that may be due to Scrubs

Hahahahahahaha I literally lol'ed on that one.

First, I'm so sorry we derailed this thread so badly.
Second, let me continue to derail it: I disagree with a little bit of what @Gandy741 is saying. I think because law requires you to be at the very top, the academic track to get there isn't as easy as you're implying it to be. There aren't pre-reqs for law school except the LSAT, so I guess you could argue that the courses pre-med kids take are more difficult, and I wouldn't disagree. That said, I think it's much more difficult to score in the top 5% of the LSAT that it is to score a 30+ on the MCAT, and most T14 law schools won't take you unless you've challenged yourself academically.

Edit: I also don't feel as strongly as his post implies. I think there are cases of lawyers finding success outside of T14, but it's rare and certainly not worth gambling student loans on. The safest, surest way to have success in law is T14.

Fair enough. Yea, I mean I did say its definitely a lot harder to get into a top tier law school for sure than a low tier MD.

Yea I know that scoring that high on the LSAT is pretty tough. Trust me if I can score around a 30 range on the MCAT, it cant be that hard :)

Edit: But the real question is which is harder? Scoring top 5 percent on LSAT or top 5 percent on MCAT?

Question of the Day!

Not sure this is really an apples to apples argument.

I'll concede entirely if the argument is just about job prospects, although there sure are still an awful lot of law students. And, as an aside, many lawyers in my generation did end up having lucrative careers/businesses that had no correlation with actually practicing law. In that regard, forgive me, but a law degree seems more of a jack-of-all-trades degree much like a MSW degree.

In terms of the comparison to med schools, there's got to be some reason such a big deal is made of the "top 20" and super-high MCAT scores. Whether there is a substantially different income outcome or not, and notwithstanding the accepted idea that medical education is "flat," there must be some reason pre-meds seem to be falling over themselves hoping to crack a top-tier med school. As many have noted, med school admissions continue to increase in difficulty every year.

you're going to have people underestimate you your whole life
a bunch of women in my class have told me about them being mistaken for nurses
just got to deal with it and hopefully not let it bother you

even winged scapula gets asked where the doctor is when people are coming to see dr. cox although that may be due to Scrubs

Haha! For some reason, it reminds me of this! (If you get the reference, let the feels flow through you *sniffle*)

8960a8ea1e5120ccb627e6c2c161be02.jpg

I'll concede entirely if the argument is just about job prospects, although there sure are still an awful lot of law students. And, as an aside, many lawyers in my generation did end up having lucrative careers/businesses that had no correlation with actually practicing law. In that regard, forgive me, but a law degree seems more of a jack-of-all-trades degree much like a MSW degree.

In terms of the comparison to med schools, there's got to be some reason such a big deal is made of the "top 20" and super-high MCAT scores. Whether there is a substantially different income outcome or not, and notwithstanding the accepted idea that medical education is "flat," there must be some reason pre-meds seem to be falling over themselves hoping to crack a top-tier med school. As many have noted, med school admissions continue to increase in difficulty every year.

So I understand what you are trying to portray and I agree with you to a point of academic difficulty but I'm not totally sure thats the best reason or premise you use to back the argument up.

jus sayin

@Nietzschelover I just noticed you are a non-student. Erm, what are you? I ask because "in your generation" could mean my parents' generation, during which the legal market wasn't oversaturated like it is today. For my parents' generation, one could go to a mediocre law school and expect to do just fine. Today? Not so much.

I'm not falling all over myself to get into a top-tier school. I'm interested in primary care and health policy, so I'll go to whichever school will give me a degree with the least amount of debt. As @HCHopeful pointed out earlier, that will likely mean a middle-tier school that will either give IS tuition or award $$. My salary as a PCP will won't be any different if I attend my state school or an ivy (which is exactly the point I've been making), so I need to cut costs for my degree. If I was interested in a competitive specialty, then I may be more inclined to apply higher and attend a school that matches to the specialty more often, but I would still be able to match to that specialty at my state school if I can pull off the necessary numbers.

Exactly!!! Imagine that if you don't have the connection at all and have to make the phone call yourself. Needless to say if you would get a chance to make a first impression face-to-face at all.

I've seen it hurt applicants. Young guys who have always been pushed towards medicine and can't quite answer the why question well.

But I'll ease up because you said this:

:laugh:

Thank goodness:)

There has to be some correlation between very top-tier med and law schools. You're seeking to become a "regular" physician, and some might go to law school seeking to be a "regular" lawyer, and then there are those in both professions who will pursue the most elite levels of the profession. You may not care so much about an "Ivy," but clearly there are those that do.

I'm sure I am closer to your parents' generation. I'm a PhD at a LAC (top 50-75ish) who recently became part of the pre-health advising cmte, and especially with the new MCAT, I am trying to learn as much as I can for our students.

The reason pre-meds fall all over themselves to get into those schools is for one of three reasons:

1) After acceptance, they perceive themselves as above the other med student population
2) Improved chances for academia
3) The "name" game

Going to a top-20 certainly increases one's chances for academia, but I can get into Derm or Ortho by attending my state school. Getting a lucrative specialty has much more to do with individual success than with the school name you're associated with. This is why many pre-meds are advised to go to the cheapest, well-respected medical school they can gain acceptance to.

And I am not falling all over myself to go to a top-20 school. My state school has always been my #1, and I'd love nothing more than to be accepted and attend that school for the next four years. While academic medicine is certainly a thought in my mind, I'm from a rural area (town of 800 people, so yeah, actually rural) and would love to have a significant impact on the doctor shortage we are seeing in such areas.

Not every pre-med falls over themselves for top-20's. As a matter of fact, I'd hate to attend those schools, because it just doesn't fit my personality.

Disclaimer: I only have a 31 MCAT, so I'm not really eligible to even consider top-20 schools. While this could certainly contribute to my lack of interest in such schools, it is important to note that I applied EDP to my state school. I did this because I have a true passion for the state I live in and wish to contribute to the people who have been involved in my life from an early age.

inb4 people criticize my EDP decision. Go at it.

@Nietzschelover I think it's mostly the pre-meds that care about ivy/top-schools, not necessarily the profession lol. I work in clinical research at the hospital of a top 10 medical school and can tell you that the attendings and residents come from all over. I'm not really sure by what you mean "regular" physician vs. "regular" lawyer. The issue with law school is that it's difficult to land a job as a practicing attorney after you graduate. In medicine, it's essentially guaranteed that if you graduate medical school you can land a residency.

Well its better than the disaster that goes on at the Value MD network.

You go to the store in search of Fruit Loops. But when you get there, you see this Fruit Loop knockoff that's a lot cheaper! So you take it back home, and as you munch on your first spoonful of it, you immediately spit it out because it tastes like sewage*.

That's ValueMD in a nutshell.

*I may or may not be speaking from experience. Avoid Dollar Store cereal plox.

You go to the store in search of Fruit Loops. But when you get there, you see this Fruit Loop knockoff that's a lot cheaper! So you take it back home, and as you munch on your first spoonful of it, you immediately spit it out because it tastes like sewage.

That's ValueMD in a nutshell.

This might make me sound like a terrible person, but I actually really enjoy reading the threads over there in the school-specific forums.

Everyone has their own opinion and those in the medical field are especially opinionated, but you shouldn't let that deter you. I mean, you haven't even applied yet. Try not to worry about things before they happen. Just focus on getting into medical school if that's what you want.

Yes! Thank god, someone understands haha. Just getting into a medical school is easier than getting into a T14 law school.

Generally speaking:
Requirement for success in medicine= attend a US med school
Requirement for success in law= attend T14
T14 is no longer enough for success in law....it's really dire out there. Would only consider top 3 to be comparable to any random medical school in terms of job prospects.

Also to the OP: LizzyM >78 checking in. 0 california invites. Still got into a top 20 (with aid) but don't think for a second that if you work hard enough you should expect a california med school acceptance.

T14 is no longer enough for success in law....it's really dire out there. Would only consider top 3 to be comparable to any random medical school in terms of job prospects.

Also to the OP: LizzyM >78 checking in. 0 california invites. Still got into a top 20 (with aid) but don't think for a second that if you work hard enough you should expect a california med school acceptance.

Necessary vs sufficient.

This is n=1. Of course if you have a doctor in the family who just got out of his or her residency the doc might be able to help you SOME in medical school admissions and applications.

Many applicants also have Immigrant Doctors in the family who usually dont know ANYTHING at all about what it takes to get into a US or Canada Medical school.

Oh yeah, I love it when my mom gets angry at me for my Extracurriculars and my dad says I'll get into med school because I have good grades. Like no, you don't understand, nothing's enough.

Rachiie, what have you done to yourself? Devastated.

Not working for me, Rachiie. I take back everything I said about law school. Now, will you please change back?

this is a very difficult question. On paper, yes, WashU grad has better access. In reality, WashU selection criteria are such that many grads will not be able to contend with a lot of the mundane, nuts and bolts aspects of various forms of community practice. So, if an Albany grad completes a cardiology fellowship, I would suspect they would outperform and outearn their WashU counterpart in the community, if for no other reason then the WashU grad couldnt stay engaged in the 10th Afib consult of the day.