Rant - People who underestimate me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you Rachiie! Much, much better.
Hahaha you guys are too much! I didn't realize switching my avatar would elicit such strong responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
this is a very difficult question. On paper, yes, WashU grad has better access. In reality, WashU selection criteria are such that many grads will not be able to contend with a lot of the mundane, nuts and bolts aspects of various forms of community practice. So, if an Albany grad completes a cardiology fellowship, I would suspect they would outperform and outearn their WashU counterpart in the community, if for no other reason then the WashU grad couldnt stay engaged in the 10th Afib consult of the day.

So why are schools like Wash U considered so attractive?

What are the two most desired and exhilarating words for applicants to hear on SDN?

"Aim high!"

@rachiie01, I agree with Goro. You've got at least 6-7 acceptances coming your way. You question and challenge everything, and the teachers still like you. Great combination.

Members don't see this ad :)
@rachiie01, I agree with Goro. You've got at least 6-7 acceptances coming your way. You question and challenge everything, and the teachers still like you. Great combination.
Thanks! That's the lawyer in me....I would have annihilated litigation haha.

And I just need one acceptance!

So this is going to be a rant and I don't mean for it to amount to more than just that and maybe y'all can share your experiences.

Basically I'm visiting relatives for the 4th of July with family (against my will) and my uncles who are doctors come up to me and ask me how college is going and how preparing to apply to medical school next year has been. I tell them good and then they ask me what my GPA is and I say 3.65 but I'm hoping to raise it to a 3.67/3.68 before graduating. They then both tell me "oh well you might want to consider taking the DAT or LSAT. You definitely don't have a shot for CA schools and you'd be lucky if you got in anywhere in the U.S. You're just not unique enough to get into medical school."

Step 1. Ignore them
Step 2. Know that your stats are good enough for med school
Step 3. Get Into Med School
Step 4. Politely and cordially tell them to stfu.

Step 1. Ignore them
Step 2. Know that your stats are good enough for med school
Step 3. Get Into Med School
Step 4. Politely and cordially tell them to stfu.
That's the plan ;)

So this is going to be a rant and I don't mean for it to amount to more than just that and maybe y'all can share your experiences.

Basically I'm visiting relatives for the 4th of July with family (against my will) and my uncles who are doctors come up to me and ask me how college is going and how preparing to apply to medical school next year has been. I tell them good and then they ask me what my GPA is and I say 3.65 but I'm hoping to raise it to a 3.67/3.68 before graduating. They then both tell me "oh well you might want to consider taking the DAT or LSAT. You definitely don't have a shot for CA schools and you'd be lucky if you got in anywhere in the U.S. You're just not unique enough to get into medical school."

Okay so I'm a pretty stubborn person and beyond that I don't put up with people's **** so you can imagine the frustration I feel when they tell me this and I can't rip them a new one because my mom would scold me for not being lady-like.

But what the hell?! Okay first of all they barely know me, how the hell can they say I have no shot based SOLELY on my GPA and their opinion of me as not being "unique".

Reminds me of the horrible pre-med advisors at my school who told me I have no shot back in my freshman year when I had a 3.75...

God it's just so frustrating because I know they're judging me based on the fact that I'm a woman who likes to do my makeup lol.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Sigh. End rant.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. God/evolution gave you two middle fingers. I highly suggest you use it.

I am from Cali and had doctors in the extended family as well. I used to get the same UNSOLICITED message from family. Guess what, sack up (proverbially) and prove 'em all wrong. Just gotta reorient your mindset that you will succeed, without their affirmations. They used to call me arrogant. Now they call me for advice for their kids.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. God/evolution gave you two middle fingers. I highly suggest you use it.

I am from Cali and had doctors in the extended family as well. I used to get the same UNSOLICITED message from family. Guess what, sack up (proverbially) and prove 'em all wrong. Just gotta reorient your mindset that you will succeed, without their affirmations. They used to call me arrogant. Now they call me for advice for their kids.

Also. You sound kinda hot. props.

Reactions: 1 users
Also. You sound kinda hot. props.

:sendoff:
a7eb19ae524e1d066fae16e5e7c0438c86fa321468cd3e3d0764731cf86f869c.jpg
:sendoff:

Reactions: 1 users
So why are schools like Wash U considered so attractive?
"Aim high!"

Nietzschelover -

I advocate matriculation to WashU and peers to any who obtain admission. It does open doors. However, when you are talking the retail-level delivery of health care, day to day basis, their grads aren't ahead of anyone.

Nietzschelover -

I advocate matriculation to WashU and peers to any who obtain admission. It does open doors. However, when you are talking the retail-level delivery of health care, day to day basis, their grads aren't ahead of anyone.

I hope you can see the inherent conflict in your post. Are the top tier schools highly desirable or not? Based on SDN, they would appear to be highly desirable, unless applicants don't have the stats to be in the running. And if there is no benefit to them compared to the other med schools, why are they so prized?

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope you can see the inherent conflict in your post. Are the top tier schools highly desirable or not? Based on SDN, they would appear to be highly desirable, unless applicants don't have the stats to be in the running. And if there is no benefit to them compared to the other med schools, why are they so prized?

Nietzschelover -

These schools are helpful, and a young person should attend if they can gain admission.

But no medical school is very helpful in preparing for the nitty gritty of the medical marketplace that involves people from all walks of life. In this respect, all medical schools are equal and "less prestigious" schools may have the edge.

Respectfully, I disagree. This notion that one should attend a top school if they can get in is implying that one should always attend the best school they get accepted to. The reality is that medicine is not as hierarchical as SDN makes it out to be and often the cheapest well-respected school is the best choice, not the highest ranked one.

This whole concept is why you see posts from kids honestly debating paying $300,000 more to attend NYU over Einstein.

Respectfully, I disagree. This notion that one should attend a top school if they can get in is implying that one should always attend the best school they get accepted to. The reality is that medicine is not as hierarchical as SDN makes it out to be and often the cheapest well-respected school is the best choice, not the highest ranked one.

This whole concept is why you see posts from kids honestly debating paying $300,000 more to attend NYU over Einstein.

Rachiie01 -- No one would do something that silly. However, if someone attends Hofstra instead of HMS (dollars are comparable) that is silly, too.

Im an ESL student, didn't study for SATs, did what I consider horrible. Went to not selective state school. Everytime anyone asks me what I want to do I tell them medicine and they kind of just smirk a little. It pisses me off. Studied for Mcat and scored 90-100%.

that'll shut them up, hopefully a med school acceptance will even more so.

I don't tell anyone about my academic life anymore except for close friends. My answer is "god knows" when people ask me what I plan to do after undergrad.

Im an ESL student, didn't study for SATs, did what I consider horrible. Went to not selective state school. Everytime anyone asks me what I want to do I tell them medicine and they kind of just smirk a little. It pisses me off. Studied for Mcat and scored 90-100%.

that'll shut them up, hopefully a med school acceptance will even more so.

I don't tell anyone about my academic life anymore except for close friends. My answer is "god knows" when people ask me what I plan to do after undergrad.

Good man.

This is totally not true at all, especially if your Doctor family relatives are immigrants from a different country. They actually have no clue about what you are going through and actually make things 100 times worse

because they cant understand how much harder it is to get into a medical school in the United States/Canada in the year of 2015.

Yes. This so much. I just graduated from my ivy school with a 3.52/3.25 sci gpa and had a 29 mcat.

And my parents were all like don't worry you can go to UPenn with those stats !

and I was like: Aren't you guys doctors?

I cry every time.

My dad's side of the family doesn't think I can get in, because I'm not Asian, Indian, or Arabic.

Okay so I'm a pretty stubborn person and beyond that I don't put up with people's **** so you can imagine the frustration I feel when they tell me this and I can't rip them a new one because my mom would scold me for not being lady-like.

But what the hell?! Okay first of all they barely know me, how the hell can they say I have no shot based SOLELY on my GPA and their opinion of me as not being "unique".

Reminds me of the horrible pre-med advisors at my school who told me I have no shot back in my freshman year when I had a 3.75...

God it's just so frustrating because I know they're judging me based on the fact that I'm a woman who likes to do my makeup lol.

Has anyone had similar experiences? Sigh. End rant.
Your uncles were just being jerks. I have heard CA schools are difficult to get into, but there are other schools in the US. Your GPA is on the low side of acceptable, but it is definitely acceptable. Also, I don't think they're judging you on being a woman. The profession of the physician is a guild system and that tends to engender an atmosphere of exclusiveness. If you get a good MCAT, and apply on time, you will get in somewhere in the US. And so I think, fashionable young woman who likes to look her best, you should just practice delivering veiled insults to your uncles in preparation for your future acceptance.

But hopefully you'll still look lady-like while doing it. :) ;)

WTF? Regardless of what garbage you've been told during your liberal indoctrination, stop being a victim. Despite what you've heard America is still the best country in the world and all of her citizens are equal. Having doctors in your family now is some sort of privilege? Come on, quit crying and inventing injustice already, it gets old.
We aren't actually all equal. I and the rest of the members of my class got indoctrinated with a secular version of Original Sin in order to make sure that we accepted our position in the system. I am thankful that I have studied history so much and from such an early age, because I came to appreciate what a lie K-12 socialization was. Even my college professors quote things like "The Europeans slaughtered millions of Indians" when talking about the Europeans and the Aztecs. Do you know how very few Europeans there actually were there? European disease (smallpox) slaughtered millions of Indians. But then again, AIDS and ebola originated in Africa, and we don't blame those on black people. That would, of course, be ridiculous. It is odd in a Democracy that we have been taught to be ashamed about the notion of the majority ruling. We are an enlightened group when we think and vote according to what the media wants, and we are a mob with torches when we don't. We are never taught about people like Saul Alinsky when we learn about the Civil Rights Movement. Our "history" is a mythology of selective editing. And people never realize this because few people actually study history extensively.

Those who possess wealth and/or organization get what they want. Those who don't, get trained. I don't think this system is particularly one of equality. They have been using the term "Equality" as a cover for class power since before the Revolution and it can be essentially defined in any way to ensure a result. In that sense, though, I suppose anything qualifies as equal.

Having doctors in the family of course is a privilege. Not only these doctors understand what you are going through, but they can also give you advice and guide you in the right direction (But of course, in OP's situation, it was a total opposite).
There is also the "Legacy" factor, which as I understand it is something that is considered in some schools.

Well, if you want to open up your own clinic, it is helpful to be able to advertise that you went to a prestigious school. I know it is a little absurd, and what matters most is the person, but this is the market we are talking about: that is just how things are.

WTF? Regardless of what garbage you've been told during your liberal indoctrination, stop being a victim. Despite what you've heard America is still the best country in the world and all of her citizens are equal. Having doctors in your family now is some sort of privilege? Come on, quit crying and inventing injustice already, it gets old.

I was talking to a coordinator at a teaching hospital while doing volunteer work once. When I had mentioned my desire to to medicine he had asked me if I had physicians in the family. When I told him I'm the first of my family to graduate high school he told me I had no chance of getting accepted anywhere because I clearly don't know what I'm getting myself into. Somehow I was stigmatized for the rest of my time there, although he offered to help me on my path to success if only I take a few of his classes that prep for MCAT/MMIs and cost an arm and a leg.

What really annoys me is when relatives make judgement toward me regarding my change in majors midway through my program. They act as if that means I'm clueless and I have no idea what I'm doing with my life. Most of them don't even have a high school diploma! One relative in particular likes to brag about the "success" of his children because they moved out west. His oldest child was a teenage father, and his two younger daughters are waitresses with no post-secondary education, yet somehow I'm the one to be looked down on.