Rape/Sex Trafficking Trauma Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

headshrinkingking

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I searched the threads, but didn't come up with much. One post from 2011 suggested doing a literature search to find people who are doing this right now....

But since it hasn't been brought up in five years, I'll have another go.

I'd like to dedicate my clinical work to victims of sex trafficking and/or rape. I'm having trouble finding programs that work specifically on this kind of trauma. Why is that? It's so prevalent, you'd think there would be a program or two with someone really grinding an axe.

Does anybody know of any Ph.D programs specifically that work around sex trauma? If not, would it be advantageous to just study trauma and then work on it later during post-doc?

Just wondering if there's any new news.

Members don't see this ad.

Alright, I searched the threads, but didn't come up with much. One post from 2011 suggested doing a literature search to find people who are doing this right now....

I'd like to dedicate my clinical work to victims of sex trafficking and/or rape. I'm having trouble finding programs that work specifically on this kind of trauma. Why is that? It's so prevalent, you'd think there would be a program or two with someone really grinding an axe.

Does anybody know of any Ph.D programs specifically that work around sex trauma? If not, would it be advantageous to just study trauma and then work on it later during post-doc?

There are around 379 accreditted programs in the US. Having several devoted to a relatively narrow focus area would be somewhat unusual. You will have more luck focusing on programs/professors (Elhai comes to mind) with strong PTSD/trauma emphases or programs with broader trauma emphasis (U. South Dakota, for instance, from what I remember hearing a few years ago) rather than wanting an entire program to what would better work as a subspecialty. As before, the best place to start is a lit search of researchers publishing on trauma, PTSD, other keywords, etc. Develop rape/sexual trafficking as a sub-specialty which means learning major PTSD treatments (e.g., cognitive processing therapy used at the VA which was developed for rape victims) and other key factors/processes (classes on stress response, etc).

Keep in mind, it will be helpful for you if you target your training broadly enough that you have multiple career options at the conclusion of training. You are passionate about rape and that could leave options for working with female abuse victims linked with shelters, with military sexual trauma at Veteran Affairs, etc. Sex trafficking is going to be a much more narrow referral base/job market. I have a cohort mate who specializes in sexuality, emphasizing trauma, and is doing her internship at a VA that is nationally known for its PTSD treatment programs... because it gives the skills/knowledge needed to support her passion.

thank you justanothergrad. I graduated in 2006 with a BA in English, and I've been taking classes this past year and a half to try and fill in the gaps. Unfortunately, there are a lack of mentors at community colleges. And to be honest, with all my psychology school work done at a CC, I'm not sure application committees will take me seriously at all.
Either way -- that's why I'm here. To ask these questions of you wisdom-filled people. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a lot of programs with strong training in sexual assault/interpersonal violence. There was actually a really recently updated thread that has a pretty comprehensive list of sexual assault researchers. You need to figure out what you want to study about it, though--do you want to look at prevention? Revictimization? Risk factors? Psychological effects? etc etc

Also, I'd suggest looking for programs that have VA practicum available because they tend to have top notch clinical training in trauma.

You may be interested in looking into the Trauma Resolution Integration Program (TRIP) housed within the Nova Southeastern University Psychology Services Center. TRIP was founded and is directed by Dr. Steven Gold, who is a leading expert in trauma and has extensive experience in working with trauma-related dissociation and DID. Nova offers classes in trauma and if you are selected to be a TRIP clinician, you would provide services including, evaluation and testing, individual therapy, coping skills and training groups, and therapy groups for women who were abused as children. Hope this helps.

I would consider the University of Oregon, Dr. Freyd (trauma research, some of which is oriented toward sexual violence).

Thank you psyyike and undertoad, cara suzana and psych844. Looking into these now.