Rate how much fun you had in college (anonymous poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How much fun did you have/are you having in college (undergrad)?

• 1/5 Stars

Votes: 13 9.0%
  • 2/5 Stars

Votes: 23 15.9%
  • 3/5 Stars

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • 4/5 Stars

Votes: 44 30.3%
  • 5/5 Stars

Votes: 33 22.8%

• Total voters

allantois

Conversation Starter
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's up to you to establish the criteria for each of the answer choices.

Topic for discussion: Do you regret having too much fun/not having enough of it?

Members don't see this ad.

I wish I was less anal to anything and anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is this an appropriate question to ask to the most neurotic subgroup of the most neurotic population in college?

Reactions: 11 users
Still in college, so far, it's been alright. I'm not in a frat so that's one thing I haven't experienced.

Is this an appropriate question to ask to the most neurotic subgroup of the most neurotic population in college?

Wouldn't ask that in person, asking online :p

It's up to you to establish the criteria for each of the answer choices.

Topic for discussion: Do you regret having too much fun/not having enough of it?

i regret not spending enough time studying or socializing

the past 3 years. "must find research, must volunteer, must talk to professors, must join clubs, must shadow, must maintain good grades, must always be involved in some sort of activity" I already grown a strong animosity over the application process over these things in the past years haha grrrr

Reactions: 1 user
I had enough fun for me personally. Now that I've graduated, I don't regret committing myself to a career path that will require me to have way less fun in the immediate future. If I had to go back, I would have tried to do research and a few other EC's instead of just sticking with APO.

can't answer properly, there are no negative star options in your poll...

I wish I was less anal to anything and anyone.

I did not read exactly what you typed the first time I glanced at this. I double took and found it much more appropriate.

Reactions: 1 users
It has been pretty awesome for me so far; being pre-med doesn't doom you to an undergrad career with no fun.

Members don't see this ad :)
How i rated my time in college went up exponentially when i started working in the "real world."

Reactions: 6 users
4/5 for me, just because I did not manage my time as well and could have had more fun if I did.

Anybody who says a pre-med life means no fun is lying. I have the usual 15+ credits, 10+ hours of lab, and probably 10-15+ hours of other extra duties to take care of each week, but there is still always time for me to relax and chill with friends. We've visited different places, gone hiking, played paintball, watched movies, played intramural sports and just overall sit down and chill. The more you stress about everything you have, the more disconnected you become with others around you.

At the same time, I did things I enjoyed. I would never spend 10 hours a week in lab just to boost my resume. It was like that in the beginning, but over time it grew on me and became something I thoroughly enjoyed doing every week. Do not force yourself into the "cookie-cutter" type of student - go towards those things that actually drive you towards medicine. Always experiment with things you might like, then drop it if you do not or keep it if you do.

If I'd had more anal my 4/5 probably would've been a 5/5.

+1

I had 2 years of DGAF college life and then 3 of "OMG HOW AM I GOING TO GET INTO MEDICAL SCHOOL?!"

5/5 for me because I was non-traditional. Therefore, I spent college doing things I was passionate about.

I'm guessing college is significantly more fun when you aren't doing the SDN version of things you're passionate about. ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Both, but I only have a small group of friends here, so it's very hard to drive back to my city. LOL my college is just not for me.

So far so good. Primarily because sex feels so good and it's so easily attainable in college.

I would say 2/5 or 3/5, just because I had a hard time finding a group of people at my school that I connected with. I'm looking forward to finding a medical school that's a better fit for me personally than my undergrad was. I am happy I have had the experiences that I have had, but I think I know now what intangibles I should look for in an institution so that I will enjoy myself a bit more.

Reactions: 4 users
1/5 However, I had a very atypical experience. I stayed at home as a caretaker for a family member and worked all throughout college. On the upside: the friendships I had before college grew even stronger, I got to see a helluva lot more of the proverbial "real world" than if I had the conventional college experience, and made sure to have a blast whenever I got time off. I used to look at my friends' lives with envy, but I honestly can't complain. College itself is a privilege – it doesn't necessarily have to be fun to be valuable.

That's why I'm really excited by the prospect of medical school and hoping that I get accepted to a school with good class chemistry. I won't lie, but I'm kind of worried about entering med school to find people already with pre-established friend groups and families/SOs that occupy their free time (though I cannot fault them). Med school will be the first time where I won't have to juggle several jobs/family commitments, so I'm hoping I get to spend it with some awesome people.

/endramble

Reactions: 3 users
1/5 However, I had a very atypical experience. I stayed at home as a caretaker for a family member and worked all throughout college. On the upside: the friendships I had before college grew even stronger, I got to see a helluva lot more of the proverbial "real world" than if I had the conventional college experience, and made sure to have a blast whenever I got time off. I used to look at my friends' lives with envy, but I honestly can't complain. College itself is a privilege – it doesn't necessarily have to be fun to be valuable.

That's why I'm really excited by the prospect of medical school and hoping that I get accepted to a school with good class chemistry. I won't lie, but I'm kind of worried about entering med school to find people already with pre-established friend groups and families/SOs that occupy their free time (though I cannot fault them). Med school will be the first time where I won't have to juggle several jobs/family commitments, so I'm hoping I get to spend it with some awesome people.

/endramble

Hear, hear!!!!!

Posted using SDN Mobile

5/5. My first year and a half and I didn't care about college. My next 1.5 years I was very concerned with grades, worked 10 hours in a lab, 10 hours on weekends sometimes for rodeos, volunteered weekly, worked out, had leadership positions (3) and still found plenty of time to party, and managed a 3.9 for those semesters as a biochem major. It's all a balance and IMO social aspect is very important. If you don't love the process and the time your involvements take you're just building a resume. Not saying that's bad, but Relax. Have fun. And take in the entire college experience with optimism.

Even MCAT studying I took the same approach. Worked full time, volunteered, worked out, went out. Just got my set goals of studying done beforehand. Trust yourself and be confident. You've made it this far, you're intelligent.

As we say here, "Not the victory but the action; Not the goal but the game; In the deed the glory."

Looking back on undergrad... I pretty much goofed off the entire time. I got a lot done, but I don't feel like any of it was a time sink. If I didn't like doing something, I just stopped doing it. If I enjoyed it, I kept going with it. Also met my future wife 3 days into Freshman year, finally convinced her to go out with me after two months and got married 5 years later (and now celebrated our 5th year anniversary last week). You could take away my medical school acceptance and I still couldn't really complain about much of anything from then.