Rate My Wax Up Please!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

toothwaxer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a current dental student who is struggling with waxing. I was hoping to get some advice from this great and helpful community of current students on SDN! Insert the following link into a web browser http://postimg.org/image/m0z12kzdn/ to see a picture of tooth 31 the typodont tooth side by side with my wax up. It is only the crown portion and the measurements are not perfect BUT if you could please give me some advice on how to improve my waxed tooth to make it look more like the typodont tooth that would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!

Picture was taken with iphone, if anyone has any ideas to make the quality of the pic better to help y'all inspect the waxed tooth more clearly let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

Round it out more. Your waxed tooth is much too square. And it looks from the picture like the fossae are too deep.

Reactions: 1 users
Keep on practicing. Notice that the cusp does not mark the lateral extent of the tooth, you have to make it round and "bulge"out more. The height of contour in mandibular molars is in the occlusal third (I think) on the lingual and on the cervical or middle third (I think) on the buccal. I would say that the ML cusp is the best looking, try to get the others to mimic the roundness and shape of that cusp ridge. And you are making the cusp tips the "corners", look carefully and notice that the cusp tip of MB cusp on the plastic tooth is rounded and more towards the center of the cusp, while yours is all the way to the mesial.

This early on as a D1, it looks like you are progressing at a normal rate. By the time you need to turn in a molar wax-up, you should improve. Hopefully your first practical will be an anterior tooth.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I am a current dental student who is struggling with waxing. I was hoping to get some advice from this great and helpful community of current students on SDN! Insert the following link into a web browser http://postimg.org/image/m0z12kzdn/ to see a picture of tooth 31 the typodont tooth side by side with my wax up. It is only the crown portion and the measurements are not perfect BUT if you could please give me some advice on how to improve my waxed tooth to make it look more like the typodont tooth that would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you!!

Picture was taken with iphone, if anyone has any ideas to make the quality of the pic better to help y'all inspect the waxed tooth more clearly let me know.

Dr. If it is the ivory white on the die, the. Your hands are awesome....

You should put that dark green crap wax up out the picture, it is ruining your work.

Keep on practicing. Notice that the cusp does not mark the lateral extent of the tooth, you have to make it round and "bulge"out more. The height of contour in mandibular molars is in the occlusal third (I think) on the lingual and on the cervical or middle third (I think) on the buccal. I would say that the ML cusp is the best looking, try to get the others to mimic the roundness and shape of that cusp ridge. And you are making the cusp tips the "corners", look carefully and notice that the cusp tip of MB cusp on the plastic tooth is rounded and more towards the center of the cusp, while yours is all the way to the mesial.

This early on as a D1, it looks like you are progressing at a normal rate. By the time you need to turn in a molar wax-up, you should improve. Hopefully your first practical will be an anterior tooth.

Height of contour on mandibular molars is cervical third on the buccal and middle third on the lingual.

Need to see more views, preferably mesial/distal in the dentech so I can see how your buccal/lingual contour and occlusal height look. From this view, your buccal and DL seems to be under-contoured. Your basic ridges are there, but the overall occlusal anatomy is off (mostly under-contoured).

It looks pretty square from the occlusal view. Surprised this isn't done in a typodont to check interproximal contact.

it looks like you are progressing at a normal rate. By the time you need to turn in a molar wax-up, you should improve. Hopefully your first practical will be an anterior tooth.
1UoG7fq

Line angles need to be rounded off. Real teeth have curved line angles. It helps with food deflection and bounces light the right way so that it appears more aesthetic!