Rate this applicant....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tricophyton

tricophyton
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How would you rate this applicant?
I have this friend ( :cool: ) who is applying to cards this fall.....
here are his stats:
He is a traditional 28 year old graduate who did not take any time off.

Undergrad: Major University, BS
Med school: Tier 2 school, MD graduated AOA
Residency: IM program community-based hospital with top 20 USNEWS World REPORT cardiovascular ranking.

Publications (actual, no Bull sh** works here)
2006 2nd author of clinical review article in cardiology in mid-level journal (with huge name cardiologist)
2006 1st author clinical clinical prosp study in obscure journal
2006 1st author of clinical prosp study in the Journal of Cardiovascular Risk
2006 co-authored chapter on Acute Coronary Syndrome in McGraw-Hill book
2006 sole author of book review published in JAMA
2005 sole author of book review in published in JAMA
2003 2nd author basic science lab research study in obscure journal

Potential Publications:
three more 1st-author, original research, cardiac related manuscripts under peer-review at mostly obscure journals at this time....

Presentations:
2006 1st author poster presentation at ACC (abstract in JACC)
2006 1st author poster presentation at AHA conference (abstract in ATVB)

Awards:
2006 1st place in state ACP research meeting
2006 featured media release of research by the AHA
2004 Best medical student investigator research award

USMLE Step 1 223
USMLE Step 2 243

3-4 Strong Letters of Recommendations from Huge, nationally recognized cardiologists..

Members don't see this ad.

I bet it is your "friend"

The only thing I would say, would be maybe he could use a little more research.. :rolleyes:

Where are you, errrrr.... I mean your friend interested in going?

Why does someone with that much apparent research interest go to a community program? That being said, I know a G2 in a local community program who might fit that general description.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's an impressive amount of work for a resident who did not take any time off. if the LOR from your PD or medicine chairman states that you are amongst the best for your program, then you will likely have a good shot at getting the really competitive interviews (you know the places i'm talking about).

that being said, a lot of publications in obscure or throw-away journals do not add up to the impact of a single first author original research (basic or clinical) publication in a quality peer-reviewed journal. sorry, but thems the honest to goodness facts! you sound like a strong candidate anyway :thumbup: . good luck this fall!

Qtip96 said:
that being said, a lot of publications in obscure or throw-away journals do not add up to the impact of a single first author original research (basic or clinical) publication in a quality peer-reviewed journal. sorry, but thems the honest to goodness facts!

I disagree with Q-tip entirely , I would take this package of research over the single publication in a "quality peer-reviewed journal" any day......

it appears as though this applicant is actually able to work independently instead of being spoon-fed a single research project as payment for being a lab slave for someone for 3 years. Or even worse becoming the first author of something because of a connection (someone's daddy or cousin or whathaveyou)

If you were a program director, who would u take? a person who has 7-8 smaller 1st author pubs all within the past year including a book chapter
or that person who has the 1 lab research publication, with 8-9 co-authors that was published because of the senior author....

Adcadet said:
Why does someone with that much apparent research interest go to a community program? That being said, I know a G2 in a local community program who might fit that general description.

Just to answer this question, the applicant chose the program because of the career of his spouse...., also it is not a small 200 bed---St Joe's something hospital which brings up another point: it is interesting that people think community programs are inferior to academic ones:
the cleveland clinic, Mayo are two community based programs.....

What exactly is a G2? is that PGY-2? I would also wonder is this person you speak of an International Grad and how old is he/she? It is my feeling that it is much less impressive to have many publications if the candidate took 10 years off and is 40-something.

TomV said:
I disagree with Q-tip entirely , I would take this package of research over the single publication in a "quality peer-reviewed journal" any day......

it appears as though this applicant is actually able to work independently instead of being spoon-fed a single research project as payment for being a lab slave for someone for 3 years. Or even worse becoming the first author of something because of a connection (someone's daddy or cousin or whathaveyou)

If you were a program director, who would u take? a person who has 7-8 smaller 1st author pubs all within the past year including a book chapter
or that person who has the 1 lab research publication, with 8-9 co-authors that was published because of the senior author....

well, i've been around the block. years back, i've interviewed for cards at JHMI, UCSF, BWH, MGH, and Duke. i was notifed of "guaranteed match" status at 3/5, and finished one of them awhile back.

1st author status on a major peer-reviewed publication is generally NOT given for "connections" but rather because that person did the majority of the work and wrote the bulk of the manuscript.

invariably, there is a limited number of hours and resources, and people have to make priorities. if you have the time to conduct original research, which would have a greater impact: many pubs in throw-aways or 1 pub in a major journal? you are certainly entitled to your opinion :) . i won't repeat mine.

in any case, before the research has any serious play in the cards application process, the OP will need to have a strong evaluation/letter from his current PD vs. department chair for his/her clinical performance and personality.

as far as the community program thing... from personal experience, i haven't seen any people from places like Washington Hosp. Ctr. or Beaumont match at the programs i've listed above. BUT DO NOT LET THAT DETER YOU. BLAZE THE TRAIL BABY!!!

the OP has been prolific and seems to have made a lot of connections. pretty clear to me that he's very motivated! wish you good fortune pal! :D

tricophyton said:
Just to answer this question, the applicant chose the program because of the career of his spouse...., also it is not a small 200 bed---St Joe's something hospital which brings up another point: it is interesting that people think community programs are inferior to academic ones:
the cleveland clinic, Mayo are two community based programs.....

What exactly is a G2? is that PGY-2? I would also wonder is this person you speak of an International Grad and how old is he/she? It is my feeling that it is much less impressive to have many publications if the candidate took 10 years off and is 40-something.

I didn't mean any disrespect. I was just curious, as I get the impression that the day of community residents being much less competitive for fellowships are coming to an end, and I'm entering the match soonish.

Around here G2 is just short for PGY-2. Why not "P2"? And why do we call students MS4 around here and not M4? No idea.

tricophyton said:
How would you rate this applicant?
I have this friend ( :cool: ) who is applying to cards this fall.....
here are his stats:
He is a traditional 28 year old graduate who did not take any time off.

Undergrad: Major University, BS
Med school: Tier 2 school, MD graduated AOA
Residency: IM program community-based hospital with top 20 USNEWS World REPORT cardiovascular ranking.

Publications (actual, no Bull sh** works here)
2006 2nd author of clinical review article in cardiology in mid-level journal (with huge name cardiologist)
2006 1st author clinical clinical prosp study in obscure journal
2006 1st author of clinical prosp study in the Journal of Cardiovascular Risk
2006 co-authored chapter on Acute Coronary Syndrome in McGraw-Hill book
2006 sole author of book review published in JAMA
2005 sole author of book review in published in JAMA
2003 2nd author basic science lab research study in obscure journal

Potential Publications:
three more 1st-author, original research, cardiac related manuscripts under peer-review at mostly obscure journals at this time....

Presentations:
2006 1st author poster presentation at ACC (abstract in JACC)
2006 1st author poster presentation at AHA conference (abstract in ATVB)

Awards:
2006 1st place in state ACP research meeting
2006 featured media release of research by the AHA
2004 Best medical student investigator research award

USMLE Step 1 223
USMLE Step 2 243

3-4 Strong Letters of Recommendations from Huge, nationally recognized cardiologists..

Gotta say... sounds like he/she can pick whatever program he/she wants. Kadus :thumbup: I've done a year of research and only have 14 publications under my name (I stopped counting presentations and abstracts). Great job, I'm gonna have to try my damnest to break that record in residency. :p

is this laboratory research?
the OP labeled it as clinical prosp, how can someone complete this much clinical research prospectively without taking time off? No disrepect meant, just curiosity, was this work done in medical school and carried through?