**Rate your SMP & Postbac**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was in the same MAMS class as Siverhideo and I agree with all his points. Its a great program, with a tremendous support structure. A few hic-ups, but they really do listen to their students and they should all be ironed out for the future classes.

Anyways, in regards to your post Rogers Park isn't the greatest place to live in Chicago but it is sure convenient. The luxury of just rolling out of bed and trekking to class in the winter can't be beat. Chicago winters can be pretty draining. Also, you'll find that a lot of your classmates will live in the Rogers Park area as well, which is a nice relief from studying. Cost of living in Rogers Park is less than the rest of the city, but your still in Chicago so it's not cheap. I also never had a problem with safety, but I'd still stay south of campus. Though even people that lived further north than that had no problems. Just watch yourself, as you should in any big city, and you'll be fine.

I really can't speak highly enough of MAMS. I'm convinced its one of the reasons I was accepted to med school this year. The programs not easy, but if you work hard I'm convinced you'll succeed. Also, you can't beat your counselor, Sally Fell, easily the most upbeat/positive person I've ever met.

add myself to this list as a supporter of loyola mams.
siverhideo pretty much nailed every point.

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone rated the SMP at Midwestern yet?
I'm applying now, and would love to get an inside look at the program.

Interesting, I didn't know Mississippi college's master of medical sciences accepts students for Spring semester. I know of someone ( through facebook) who attend my undergraduate that also did the program. From what I gathered from our correspondence she seemed to speak favorably of it. Also, from the program's website, it looks like some students do get into medical school and other health related programs. I will send out an email to person I know and ask her about what she is doing now. My guess is that she is probably applying to med school now b/c I believe she recently completed the program. I will let you know what she says. I would also email the guy who is in charge of the program, his email is on the webpage. I emailed him before and he seemed willing to help. The person I know also told me that he is very helpful.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone!

Is anyone in either the Tulane Human Genetics Masters Program, Colorado State U Masters in biomedical Sciences program, Tuft's MS, or East Virginia Medical School Masters program?

If so would you mind posting or PMing me a little info on the program, such as rigour, med school acceptance rates, structure, or anything really...

Thanks!!!

Hi everyone!

Is anyone in either the Tulane Human Genetics Masters Program, Colorado State U Masters in biomedical Sciences program, Tuft's MS, or East Virginia Medical School Masters program?

If so would you mind posting or PMing me a little info on the program, such as rigour, med school acceptance rates, structure, or anything really...

Thanks!!!

Oh hey maybe there's a list with a bunch of known info somewhere in this forum. Somewhere REALLY easy to find. Here's a hint: they're called SMPs.

Oh hey maybe there's a list with a bunch of known info somewhere in this forum. Somewhere REALLY easy to find. Here's a hint: they're called SMPs.

Hm, sorry let me be a little more specific as to what I meant. Being gifted with literacy, I already know all the information that is on the websites of the schools, including the statistics they give. I was wondering if anyone is in any of those programs and would care to elaborate on their experience and the experience of their peers. Also, has anyone in these programs that claim to give interviews to students who meet certain requirements gotten in and gone to the linked Medical School? If so, which one and what was the process like?

Thanks again for all your help and input :)

The SMP List: January 2009 thread is a very good statistical comprehensive review of most programs.

I was wondering if anyone is in any of those programs and would care to elaborate on their experience and the experience of their peers.

For fifteen years, current and former students have filled the threads in this forum with boatloads of inside info. Time to put your literacy gift to work and do some reading.

Lol. Use the search function. There are threads for EVMS, Tufts, and Tulane every year. I haven't seen any for CSU.

Does anyone have any input on the Portland State University post-bac? Thanks.

Does anyone have any input on the Portland State University post-bac? Thanks.

I know somebody who did it and liked it. It's small, and the staff is good. There's no name recognition for it outside Oregon, really, but if your numbers are good that shouldn't matter.

does anyone know anything or have any experience with this program? they say they'll automatically take anyone who gets a 30 and a 3.5 into their med school. does anyone know what percent of their students get this?

does anyone know anything or have any experience with this program? they say they'll automatically take anyone who gets a 30 and a 3.5 into their med school. does anyone know what percent of their students get this?

This is the first year the program's been in existence (started Aug '08) so, no, this data isn't available. But Temple makes a helluva claim.

Members don't see this ad :)
UCLA RAP (Re-App Program)

1) The Pros and Cons of their program.

Well, the pros are that it's UCLA and its a good name to have on your application....that's about all I can think of.

Cons - first of all, the most inconvienient thing is that you aren't considered a UCLA student at all. That means you don't get to register for classes like a normal human being. You have to wait until classes start and then add them through UCLA extension. Or you can just take extension classes, which are a complete joke (it's equivalent to community college, except much more expensive). Technically, you can even take your classes at a Cal State if you preferred. You technically have no association with the school, either. So that means you don't get a student ID card, so you don't have access to the gym or to the library on top of everything else. You can forget about financial aid as well. They give you like a $2000 stipend for the whole year, which really doesn't help considering the average class costs about $400-500 through UCLA extension. It's extremely difficult to get any financial aid, because you don't qualify for anything since you aren't working on any type of degree. There are some programs, but again they are through the extension, and they barely cover the cost of the classes, so you will be working to support yourself.

As far as support, there is very little. When you ask what kind of classes you should take, your advisor will leave it fully up to you. Everything is like that. Any question you have, they won't answer it for you. Partly because they don't know, and barely because they just don't have time. The people who run the program also work for the school of medicine, so they are usually busy with more important things (or at least it seems that way).

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.

I went to UCLA as an undergrad, so I knew which classes I needed to take over and which would help me from talking to friends who were in medical school. Unfortunately, the competitive classes that would have really prepared me were always full. I ended up adding one real UCLA science class per quarter, and then taking 2 more science classes through extension. The extension classes are an absolute joke. I've taken a few classes at community college, and they are on the same level. If you have a pulse and show up, you can easily get a B. If you put a minimal amount of effort, you can get an A. You're probably thinking, hey great, easy A's..that's exactly what I need. Not really...UCLA extension has their own seperate transcripts, so every school you apply to will know that it ain't real UCLA coursework. Most people who interview you will ask you about that. Even the difficult classes that you are able to add show up on extension transcripts, so no matter what it looks like you are trying to take a cake walk.

On top of all that, the classes don't even help prepare you for medical school. I remember I took a class through extension that was titled "Pathophysiology". I thought this would be a great class to help prepare me for medical school. It was a complete and utter joke. I can't describe how much of a joke it was. The professors are usually just part time faculty looking to make an extra buck, and it definitely shows. Also, extension classes are all at night, so everybody is tired and usually older, so it's a real drag going to class. If I hadn't added regular classes with the undergrads, I probably would have lost my mind.

Another classic was a nutrition class I took. The class consisted of turning in a handout. We would get a handout at the beginning of the class, fill out the handout, and then turn it in. That was it. Nothing else. This was supposed to be a college level class.

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program

UMMM, HOW ABOUT THAT THERE WAS NO FINANCIAL AID??? AND THAT WE WEREN'T GOING TO BE UCLA STUDENTS? My main problem in undergrad was that I had to work to support myself...and surprise! I had to do it again during my post-bac. They also gave me some BS in the interview about how everyone in the program who gets a certain GPA in their post-bac classes and can improve their MCAT score to a certain amount is pretty much guaranteed to attend UCLA for medical school (they said 90%, which is a complete lie). I don't even think 90% of the people who do RAP even get into medical school. The number for getting into UCLA is more like 20% (based on my RAP class), and for medical school I would say anywhere from 50-75%.

They don't tell you jack about this program. You get surprise after pleasant surprise. It starts off in the summer, when they make you do the stupid PREP program with all the undergrads who have usually just finished their freshman or sophomore year. The program is great, but it is designed for UNDERGRADS. UCSD and UCD have a summer program too, but it is all MCAT prep from what I understand. That would have been much more helpful than a bunch of handholding, which is what PREP is. Very little time is spent on MCAT prep, and it is basically a waste of 6 weeks. After that, you meet with your counselor and you plan your schedule. This is how my meeting went -

Advisor - "Have you signed up for classes, yet?"

Me - "No, I was waiting to talk to you before I did so....so ummm...when do I get my registration date?"

Advisor - "Registration date? What are you talking about, you can register anytime you want?"

Me - "Really? So do we log on through URSA?" (the UCLA registration system)

Advisor - "Umm, no, thats only for UCLA students. You aren't considered a UCLA student. You have to sign up for classes through UCLA extension."

Me - "So that means I have to add classes if I want to take undergrad classes here?"

Advisor -"I'm not really sure how it works...you should find that out."

Me - "Ok...I'll look into it (trying my hardest not to blow up). So....what classes should I take?"

Advisor - "That's your job to figure out. I don't know. Whatever classes you think you need."

Me - "Ummm...ok."

That is pretty much how every topic went with my advisor. Same thing went for applying...it was a do it yourself kind of thing. There was no real MCAT prep available, no mock interviews. Nobody looked over my application or personal statement. It was a complete joke.

4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program

They would probably like me to say something good about the program.

I can't.

5) Tips for students applying to your program

Don't do it unless you plan on working, and you are ok with taking a bunch of classes that are a joke. If you enjoy not being considered a real student, not getting any real guidance, and overall just being ignored, then ya do this program. If I could go back in time, I would do the UC Davis or UC San Diego programs which are excellent programs. As far as I know, both programs have incredible directors who are very passionate about their students getting into medical school. They even have connections with admission committe members at other schools. When I asked my program director about which schools I should apply to, she told me to go look at the MSAR.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?

I think it helped because it was something to put on my application. But I don't feel like it prepared me anymore for medical school, or made me a better applicant personally. It just helped me "play the game" a little better. But it definitely was a huge waste of time. If I could go back in time, I probably would have just done a Master's degree in something science related and retaken the MCAT on my own, or attended another school's post-bac.

7) Anything else you'd like to add

I actually did get into a UC for medical school, but I think it was more due to my own determination than any support I got from this program. I heard that they have a new director, so hopefully things will get better.
If you are planning to apply, make sure you ask them all these questions.

8) A rating from 1-5

If things are still the same, then a 1.

Columbia University Institute of Human Nutrition Class of 2007

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

Pros:
1. Strong emphasis on clinical applications dealing with nutrition and disease.
2. Graduate program within the College of Physicians and Surgeons.
3. Several required courses (Growth and Development, Molecular Nutrition) use faculty members from P&S.
4. Vast research opportunities (e.g. Ophthalmology, wound healing, neurology, various dental topics, etc).
5. Allowed to take courses within the Mailman School of Public Health, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences and Teacher's College.
6. World class medical faculty and facilities.
7. New York City.

Cons:
1. Cost (tuition is comparable to most programs, but the cost of living is a major problem).
2. Some of the faculty are disorganized (e.g. Biochemistry/Physiology). Material is what you would expect, but the faculty member teaching the course is a disappointment to the institute. She will most likely NOT be teaching the course due to the numerous complaints this year.
3. "Special Studies" course (designed to help students with their thesis) is the biggest waste of time. Hopefully they will restructure this course, as many of us complained about its irrelevance to our education.
4. Neighborhood isn't unsafe, but it's definitely not the safest place to be at night. Additionally, Washington Heights is very boring and there is a major lack of food sources around campus.

1. Biochemistry/Physiology I/II
2. Epidemiology
3. Growth and Development
4. Clinical Nutrition
5. Molecular Nutrition
6. Readings in Human Nutrition -- Assigned packets (generally 4-8 articles) of recent research published on topics such as cardiovascular disease, prostate cancer, diabetes, obesity, cholesterol, retinoids, etc. You are required to discuss, in detail, all aspects of each article the following week. Class is split up into smaller groups (15-17 students) to allow for better discussion.
7. History and Philosophy of Public Health
8. Special Studies (see comments above)
9. Foods in Human Nutrition (bonehead course, fun but time consuming).
10. U.S and International Nutrition Policy. One of the faculty members for this course is director of UNICEF.
11. Molecular Toxicology
12. Medical Ecology

3) Something you wished you knew coming into the program
1. Just how expensive NYC can be.

4) Something you would like to tell incoming students about your program
1. Overall, the program is strong. It has a very strong reputation and you will be surrounded by many opportunities. However, be prepared to deal with some disorganization on the part of the administration and faculty. Hopefully with the complaints from the class of 2007 they will clean up some of the issues we faced. I know that they will be selecting student representatives to communicate the needs of the student body to the faculty (something the class of 2007 did not have).

1. Apply early. Show that you have some sort of interest in nutrition. A decent academic record and good LORs should get you in.

Yup! I will be attending my 1st choice this fall!

Just do it, you know you want to.

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

I just got a call with my unofficial acceptance for Columbia c/o 2010 MS Nutrition program! I'm super excited and pretty sure this will be the program for me. I was wondering if there is anyone from Class of '08 or '09 who would be able give a more updated review?? Thanks!

Does anyone have any information on the Dartmouth Institute for Health Policy and Clinical Practice?

I got accepted, but I'm not sure how much it will help me in my long-term goal for going to medical school.

Thanks!

I attended this program 2006 till 2008 and am now attending medical school (an osteopathic school). I would strongly discourage anyone from going there, just ask NYMC for their statistics- only a hand full of their kids get into medical school. During my orientation week, a 2nd year told me to get back in my car and drive home because NYMC will make you work your ass off, but it doesn't mean anything because schools aren't familiar with the program. In addition, I wouldn't call it an "open" environment, Dr. Lerea will tell you many times that it's a small program and doors are always open- I've experienced and heard how often professors consider you to be an annoyance and will give you attitude. Medical students are their primary concern- you will play second fiddle.

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

Location: you're living next to a massive JAIL, bet they didn't tell you that. The hospital is next door- helicoptors are flying back and forth all night long. Sure NYC is 40 minutes South, but Westchester county is a large forest, with fox, geese, and deer- there's nothing THERE. The students in your class are competitive, you're under so much pressure to do well- it's impossible not to be. During my first semester there, Dr. Thompson told me that if I don't get straight As, to go home- they WANT you to be competitive. The building is tiny- you're sharing it with the medical school, the grad school, and public health school.

I did learn a lot. I considered the first year and a half to be fantastic- I loved what I was learning and I'm actually referencing it right now as a medical student. So that was Physio, Biochem, Histology, and pathology.
The last semester, Dr. Lerea's beloved Cell Bio class is... for those who are really interested in the most minute, most detailed movements of... I HATED it! If you're into research, then it's totally going to be your thing. However I always wanted to be a physician, and it was of little relevance to me.

That it was a really, really, bad decision. Most kids who go there, are already in NY. I happened to move from Chicago- flipped my life around for it, and they really couldn't care less. It's not a very open, friendly enviroment and I dare anyone to tell me otherwise. You've got to be tough throughout otherwise they'll treat you different. And the grad school is a totally different entity from the med school- your classes are in the evening, you're really only supposed to study in the cafe or the library, and you're not part of "school" events, you're not invited to the talent show, the halloween party, etc. That kinda sucked.

If you really feel like you must go, have a strong support system with you. I literally packed up and went by myself, and that was difficult. Even when my car battery died, the campus security told me that school policy dictated that they COULD NOT give me a jump (?)- and I was parked on school property, in the middle of no where. Also, most of the students have jobs since the classes are in the evening- which might mean you're stuck there for the summer as well. AND please have a car, the B line runs like twice a day- it gets really cold there.

I don't think it's difficult to get in? But it is difficult to graduate- they're not messing around, you don't earn a B average and you're not graduating. And getting a B average is not an easy task (especially when you're also retaking the MCATs, applying to medical schools, writing a thesis, going to work, and missing everything you used to have in your life).

It's hard to say. I got into medical school but I didn't graduate the program- figure that one out for me?

VISIT before you move there!!!

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)
1- don't go. Especially because- well just ask your advisors, your peers, medical schools- no one is familiar with it, no one is gonna care. Hell, go to the website- in this day and age, I ask you how can a website be so bad? Seriously, how much real information did it give you? Did it offer you any help with any of the courses? Any pictures? does it mention the enormous jail next door? or maybe the adjacent juvi? the halfway house? the resident skunk? Also, Valhalla has no Starbucks (how could that be? well visit, and you'll understand).

:laugh::laugh::laugh: i visited last weekend -- this is true

Has anyone ever heard of Manhattanville college's post bac program?

*** UPDATE*** 4/28/2012
I am receiving a lot of PMs regarding this post and the Cincy SMP. Unfortunately I am no longer involved in the program and it has changed substantially since I wrote this. As I go into my 4th year of med school, I simply don't have the time to keep up with those changes or to talk to current SMP students anymore. Therefore, I strongly urge all of you to try contacting current students in the program, of which I'm sure there are plenty on here. Thanks for your interest in the SMP...it was and still is a great program with a terrific track record for getting graduates into med schools all over the USA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Cincy SMP did exactly what I wanted it to. Before completing the SMP I had applied to med school with mediocre ugrad grades, a good MCAT, and pretty good EC's. I received zero interviews. I did nothing else other than take the Cincinnati MS program last year and I received 4 interviews and one acceptance this time around (got into my first choice school relatively early in the cycle, so I withdrew from the other interviews before going). So here's my take...

Pros:
-Only one year long with a literary research thesis at the end (as opposed to a laboratory thesis). You have the choice of applying to med school while you're in the program or waiting until you're finished (like I did).
-You take 3 actual medical courses with the current 1st-year med students and your letter grades are translated to match what you would've gotten had you been a med student (i.e. If you got an A- in biochemistry, that would've translated to getting a High Pass in med school). Very helpful when explaining how you did to adcoms...
-Cost of living in Cincinnati and cost of tuition is among the lowest for all SMP programs
-Minimal competitiveness - you are there to help each other and the faculty is even more helpful. They want you to succeed!
-The facilities are top-notch. They just built a brand new building with a fitness center, new labs, and tons of study space and computers. All classrooms are built for electronic teaching.
-The med students know who you are and why you're there and are very helpful as well. (they will give you study materials and tutoring materials that you otherwise wouldn't get being a masters student)
-Faculty - World-class and very helpful in-person or by email.

**Near the beginning of the year, interview workshops are held for you by faculty who are former adcom members! Extremely helpful!! They will also individually help you with your application/personal statement if you ask.

Cons
-Cincinnati is a smaller city, but still an urban area and the school is close to some shady parts of town. They are not hard to avoid, but you do need to be diligent. Having said that, most med schools are near shady parts of their town...ever seen where Johns Hopkins is???
-The weather sucks in the winter (but this is coming from a lifetime Southern Californian...)
-Difficulty - I hardly think of this as a con...more of a reality that you should expect. You are taking medical courses that are very tough, and extremely fast-paced. One of the professors compared it to trying to drink from a fire hose and not spilling a drop...that's about right.
-The M.S. degree you get is nice, but not that meaningful outside of the context of med school admissions...

2. Classes
Ok, so the first half of the year you take 3 out of the 4 medical science courses that the med students take. All the med classes are broken up into 4 Blocks, at the end of each is a week of exams.
-Medical Physiology- The course director is also the director of the SMP. The class is tough...lots of info that takes more than simple memorizing. Be especially careful of Block 3, which includes renal physiology!
-Medical Biochemistry/Genetics - Just what it sounds like...but at a level of detail you've never seen in undergrad.
-Medical Microscopic Anatomy - This is two classes in one. The lecture portion talks about the body at the sub-cellular, cellular, and tissue level. The lab portion is your basic histology, including light and electron microscopy. At the end, you should be able to identify any human tissue under the scope. The histology portion requires a different style of learning than lecture courses...some people found this transition tough.

After the med courses, there are several biomedical grad courses you take:
-Clinical Embryology -This is pretty much a med course. The lectures come from the exact same embryo lectures that the medical students received in their gross anatomy class. They are video lectures that are found online, and the exams are online as well (although you will take it together in the same room at specified dates).
-Neurophysiology - An intense class that covers all the neurophysio that you would learn in the medical class, minus the neuroanatomy....which makes the class slightly tougher.
-Statistics - NOT a basic stats class. You learn the stats, but also the theory behind them and how, why, and when they are used in biomedical research. You learn on SigmaStat statistical software.
-Molecular Physiology - An interesting class that focuses on ion channels and transporters in different tissues. You do an oral presentation on a channelopathy (disorder of a channel) to the class...not as bad as you may think. Taught by different faculty who are experts on the channel/transporter they talk about.

-Optional elective - Teratology - A continuation of embryology, talking about when things go wrong during development. I did not take it (at the time I was in the program, embryology was the elective and we had a pharmacology course that has since been removed).

-Literary thesis - Close to the start of the program, you will choose a topic from a long list to do a literary review paper on. Each topic is associated with a faculty adviser. Some of these topics are flexible and your adviser will work with you to narrow down exactly what you want to write about. Throughout the year, you research articles and books about the topic, and will have to submit outlines and works-in-progress at various "checkpoints", usually near the end of each quarter. You have until the official end of the program (end of July) to get this completely done...plenty of time if you keep on it.

3. Something I wished I knew going into the program
-Honestly, I can't think of anything that struck me unexpectedly. The program description is very thorough.

4. Something to tell incoming students
-Just be ready to work hard starting Day 1...by Day 3 I already felt behind!
-Look for housing right away...as of right now, there is no longer any on-campus housing for grad students.
-Only buy textbooks that you've looked through and think will be helpful. The syllabi are very thorough and most people got through just fine without any textbooks. Your college biochem book will be a good supplement. You might want to get the histology atlas that they recommend to you (Wheater's). Many found this helpful.
-If you are interested, there are physician shadowing opportunities that are made available to you through the program for those lacking in that kind of EC...but you have to commit to it if you sign up (40 hours I think).
-Related to the shadowing, there are about 5 major hospitals around the campus/city, including the world-famous Cincinnati Children's Hospital...plenty of places to find shadowing or even research opportunities on your own (which I did).
-If you fall behind or can't understand something, get to office hours ASAP!

5. Tips for applying to the MS in Physiology program at UC
-Get your GPA up as high as possible before applying...it's becoming much more competitive to get into this SMP. (If it's significantly below a 3.0, you will have a tough time...get it up!!)
-Having said that above, apply early (for the same reason).
-Update the SMP adcom on anything you do academically or medically-related.
-There is no MCAT prep in this program, so if you plan on retaking, get that taken care of beforehand...no time to study for the MCAT during the SMP!

6. Did it help me get into med school?
-Absolutely...I would say it was solely responsible because it was the only thing I had done differently since the first time I applied...I kept my MCAT score and didn't really have any new EC's. If your GPA is your only major weakness, SMP is the way to go.

7. Anything else?
Nope, just do your research and make sure this program is right for you. Contact the admissions people if you have questions.

-The program is put together wonderfully. For only being in existence for 3 years, it has one heck of a success rate for getting their graduates interviews and acceptances at various med schools around the country. And hey, you get another degree to put after your name...

Good luck!:thumbup:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Drexel IMS 2008-2009

Pros:
1. The amount of medical school classes that we take.
2. The grading system against the med students allows for easy comparison.
3. Classes are broadcasted over telecom and are also available online so you can watch at home.
4. Tutoring/gym included.
5. The notes provided
6. Camaraderie of the IMS class because you are not graded against each other.
7. Medical ethics (part-con, see below): forces you to think about current topics in medicine, form an opinion on it, and try to speak reasonably coherently about it - good for interviews

Cons:
1. Medical ethics - professor likes to talk really slowly during large lecture group.

Classes
Aug-Dec: Medical Biochemistry I; Medical Physiology I; Cell Biology and Microanatomy I; Medical Nutrition, Medical Immunology, medicine/society I (ethics)
Jan-May: Medical Biochemistry II; Medical Physiology II; Cell Biology and Microanatomy II; Medical Nutrition, Medical Immunology, medicine/society II (ethics); Medical Neuroscience; Medicine and Society II

Something I wish I knew coming into the program:
Nothing really came as a surprise.

Something I would like to tell incoming students about my program:
- Adjust quickly to the amount of material you are going to receive of you won't survive. The first unit exam is easy, and everyone does well. (it's basic biochemistry, think enzymes). Then everyone relaxes and is hit hard during the next unit exam.
- If you are like me and applying after finishing the program and are also retaking the MCAT after, this program will boost your bio score. I just took a diagnostic MCAT and got a perfect on the bio section (not orgo) without studying, just from all the material/testing that we go through!
- Watch out for Nutrition. I personally really enjoyed the class, but the exams were difficult for a lot of people because they were different than the other ones. It's very much more clinically based exam material.
- I came from undergrad with a 3.1overall/2.87BCPM. *I* knew that that was because of first and second year - third and fourth years I had GPAs (both overall and BCPM) of over 3.5. But - still a red flag! However, in the drexel IMS program, I currently have a GPA of 3.5 - all science courses. I have been told by adcoms that this shows my dedication and proves I can handle the rigor of medical school.
- microanatomy will seem ridiculous at first, but in the end will be one of the easiest classes to study for. You don't actually have to go to lab as long as you use the histology atlas online.
- I feel confident now that when I do eventually make it to medical school (knock on wood!), I will excel and I think this program gave me a huge leg up.

Tips for students applying to your program:
Try to have all of your other ducks in a row before you begin the program. You really will not have much time for intense volunteering, work, etc. It's doable second semester but don't expect to be doing this plus making up another part of your application at the same time.

Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?

Applying this summer! I decided to wait until I completed the SMP (see undergrad grades), but I will update.

A rating from 1-5:

Drexel IMS 2008-2009

Classes
Aug-Dec: Medical Biochemistry I; Medical Physiology I; Cell Biology and Microanatomy I; Medical Nutrition, Medical Immunology, medicine/society I (ethics)
Jan-May: Medical Biochemistry II; Medical Physiology II; Cell Biology and Microanatomy II; Medical Nutrition, Medical Immunology, medicine/society II (ethics); Medical Neuroscience; Medicine and Society II
What? 6-8 science classes/semester? :eek: Am I mistaken?

What? 6-8 science classes/semester? :eek: Am I mistaken?

Welcome to med school... it's not uncommon to have 8-10 classes. They don't always go the entire length of the semester but still have exams/finals.

I've seen quite a bit about Stony Brook medical school, but not much on their post-bac program on these forums... has anyone completed the post-bac program? Thoughts? Thanks.

indeed, someone PLEASE post a review of the boston university MAMS. i just got accepted and right now, have less than two weeks to make a decision. also, i work hard at the BU mams and hopefully get a 3.5 GPA. that coupled with a 35 mcats...is that enough for most med schools? maybe not top tier but anything else?

indeed, someone PLEASE post a review of the boston university MAMS. i just got accepted and right now, have less than two weeks to make a decision. also, i work hard at the BU mams and hopefully get a 3.5 GPA. that coupled with a 35 mcats...is that enough for most med schools? maybe not top tier but anything else?

There is a TON of information on Boston's program in this forum. Just not in this thread. Anything that says "Boston" in this forum means "MAMS."

If you search for "boston" or "mams" you'll find these threads, with a good 250 posts:
"Ask a Boston University GMS(Post-bac) student anything"
"BU MAMS Fall 2009"
"Boston University MAMS?"

Do you mean getting a 3.5 in your SMP? I'm not sure that will cut it...depending on how high your ugrad GPA already is. You need to do better than that in an SMP...the expectations are much higher.

what is the GPA expected of SMP programs? 3.75? undregrad GPA is a 3.2.

what is the GPA expected of SMP programs? 3.75? undregrad GPA is a 3.2.

Yeah, I'd say 3.75 and above would be your target. Many adcoms (at schools other than where you did your SMP) will expect a high GPA. That's why SMPs are so high risk/high reward. If you do great, it only increases your chances (no guarantees), but if you don't do well enough, your application could become permanently unsalvagable. Thats the attitude and sense of urgency you need to go in with, and you will do just fine. That ugrad GPA is about right for most SMP applicants...

Can anyone tell me of Hofstra, Stony Brook, and Adelphi post baccs?

Pro's and Con's?

Thanks

Hey did anyone do the Toledo SMP? I just got into it and I wanted to find out first hand opinions because I'm still in the mix for a couple of others.

Has anyone gone through the University of Maryland Science in the evening program? They don't keep stats, I'm hoping to hear from someone who has been or is going through the program now, thanks!

Anyone have any info on Manhattanville's post bac program? is it ONLY part time?

I am deciding between Rosalind Franklin BMS in N. Chicago and Boston University MAMS. I have visited both and could go to either like, have a gf in Michigan, so like RFUMS's location, but I also like the city life of Boston University. Boston has a better reputation after a gap year with about 90% graduates getting in, but RFUMS offers an automatic interview for Chicago Medical School with out a gap year at about a 70% acceptance rate. My GPA is a 3.6, MCAT 25 and I dont want to take it again. I'm applying to D.O. and CMS if I choose RFUMS for 2009-2010. Does anyone have any advice on what school to attend. I NEED to figure this out ASAP.

I am deciding between Rosalind Franklin BMS in N. Chicago and Boston University MAMS. I have visited both and could go to either like, have a gf in Michigan, so like RFUMS's location, but I also like the city life of Boston University. Boston has a better reputation after a gap year with about 90% graduates getting in, but RFUMS offers an automatic interview for Chicago Medical School with out a gap year at about a 70% acceptance rate. My GPA is a 3.6, MCAT 25 and I dont want to take it again. I'm applying to D.O. and CMS if I choose RFUMS for 2009-2010. Does anyone have any advice on what school to attend. I NEED to figure this out ASAP.

I had the same exact decision to make. The way i saw it was that BU MAMS offered the superior city, SMP program, and medical school prospects. BUT, those prospects were for 2011 due to the necessary gap year. RFBMS is 45min north of chicago in the middle of no where, not as reputable of an SMP (basically it will really only help you get into CMS, possibly other chi area med schools), and CMS is by no means a top medical school. BUT, RFBMS will get you into medical school without a gap year. So what it comes down to are your priorities:

1) Do you mind going to CMS?
2) How long do you want to wait before starting med school (2010 vs 2011)?
3) Do you care deeply about the type of city you'll be living in (big city vs burbs)
4) is money a big issue? CMS is a private school and will cost you 45,000 in tuition every year whereas BU can help you get into your state school and save you money in the log run. RFBMS is 36,000 plus cheap living expenses in north chi. BU MAMS is 38,000 for the first year, plus an extra 4-6 thousand for your thesis year, plus hefty living expenses in boston.
5) RFBMS is only a one year program that is normally completed in around 10 months. BU MAMS is described as a 2 year program due to a required thesis you write during your second year (some take a year of coursework and then try and finish their thesis over the summer, so it can be a total of 12-13 months if you bust your ass).

For me this decision seemed hard at first too but obvious once i decided what is most important to me, and that is getting into an allopathic american medical school as soon as i can. I have chosen RFBMS over BU MAMS because starting in 2010 was my highest priority and made my decision real easy once i looked at the facts.

Choosing the right SMP is a huge decision and you have to make sure you know what you are getting into. So figure out your priorities, weigh the pros and cons, and then your choice will become much easier. Hope this helps.

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc.)
First, I’ll refer you to pg1 of this thread to ready firefly’s summary under this point. I agree with most of what firefly has written, with a few alterations.
STRUCTURE: (Pros) The Special Sciences Program is pretty flexible and you can take whatever interests you within the sciences. The open structure of the program allows you to work PT or FT, if desired. I didn’t opt to do so, but if money is an issue and you absolutely must work (which I’d advise against unless truly necessary) you can take 1-2 courses and just extend your enrollment. Oh, also, if you work FT for UPenn, they will pay for 1-2 classes…it’s a nice option if you need to work, you can pretty much go free. (Cons) You just need to be very self-motivated (which you need to be anyway for medical school and for a career as a doctor).
ENVIRONMENT/COMPETITIVENESS: (Pros) Overall, I liked the environment a lot. Definitely not cutthroat. Most people were there to learn and wanted to see everyone else succeed. Don’t get me wrong, there were a few of those over-the-top kids who were hyped up on 5-hr Energy and Red Bull all the time, walking around a nervous wreck. But they were the exception. Courses are in the med school area, but we tended to study in the undergrad library – exposed to both student populations. Since UPenn alums can also take these courses, it’s easy to meet them and their undergrad friends and learn about the things to do in the city. Philly is a young city, so there’s always stuff to do – from the arts, to pubs, to any random event you could think of. (Cons) Um, it’s in Killadelphia, aka West Filthy. Need I say more? The PPA (Philadelphia Parking Authority) will rob you blind in ridiculous parking tickets if you drive. Especially noticed during the summer, the “post-bacc community” is lacking. Many students are married/engaged/live a distance and don’t really stick around after class. That being said, an equal number do live in the area and are up for a good time. If you make the effort (as I did, and I’ve made some friend I’ll keep in tough with for years), you’ll find your own group of friends to chill with and have a fun time. I think they’ve been working on building up a sense of community…it’s just that people get busy with courses and forget to organize outings. But, there is much to do in this city (despite it’s dirtiness)
COST: (Pro) It’s a cheap city ;) Rent is affordable, as are most clubs/bars/restaurants (also, a great restaurant scene, google Stephen Starr) (Con) UPenn is expensive :(
LOCATION: (Pro) Plenty of housing within blocks of campus. Campus security is everywhere and is willing to walk you back at any time of day/night. If you live further out, there are free shuttles to get you to and from campus. (Con) Although the real-estate community has tried to rename the area around campus as Ucity (university city), don’t be fooled – you are still in West Philadelphia (think back to Fresh Prince of Bel Air). If you start walking in a safe neighborhood anywhere in Philly, and stop paying attention to your surroundings, you are likely to wind up in the middle of a condemned hood a few blocks later – it’s just that type of city.
FACULTY/ADMINISTRATION:
The director firefly mentioned has since left (she can be found across the city, directing Temple's post-bacc prgm). However, she left at the start of last year's med school application cycle (June'08) and Penn didn't get a replacement until Jan'09... Since I was only in the program 12 months, my view on the advising is biased, since we really haven't had anyone but these two bio professors to advise us (both were horribly untrained for the position). The new director seems nice and dedicated to developing the program and molding it towards the needs of the students.
Having already taken all of my Chemistry and Physics courses, these are the 8 courses (you now need 8 for a committee letter) I elected to enroll in:
Cell Biology/Biochem, Molecular Bio and Genetics, Immunobiology, Cancer Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Vertebrate Physiology, Histology (probably the most useful course for medical school, rarely offered elsewhere), and Clinical Research in Emergency Medicine I (work as an Academic Associate in the ED at HUP, screening and enrolling all patients that present to the ED in one of multiple studies being simultaneously conducted; coordinate blood draws and processing of blood samples, ensure timely and accurate completion of study forms by the residents; in sum, a great experience if you put forth the effort to make the most of it!)
The advising is nonexistent.
Talk to students who have been in the program a few semesters and find out what courses to take and, more importantly, which professors to take. Since we didn’t get a lot of UPenn professors, the ones we did get were hit-or-miss. Some were amazing (Cancro, Hollander, Weil, DiAngelo) and others…well, you should avoid like the Plague!
Having not taken any bios outside of intro Bio in undergrad, I found the material covered to be very interesting and I threw myself willingly into my books daily. I recommend daily studying and then group studying to reinforce the material.
We shall see… (I’m applying now!). Though, I hear that getting a B+ or higher in Histology is very favorably looked upon by med schools…I hope this rumor is true!
I think this program is great if you’re either looking to boost your sGPA or just want to take more Bio courses before applying – the program offers a ton of biology and biobases of behavior courses, and you can take what ever your heart desires.
While, overall, I am satisfied with my choice in this prgm, I only give it a 3. Why? It is expensive, and for the amount of money I paid, I expected top-notch advising. If I knew the advising situation was going to be this ridiculous, I would have just lived at home and taken classes full-time at Rutgers for a couple hundred dollars per class. Having said that, it seems that they’ve gotten the advising dept back in shape right as I was leaving (isn’t that how it always goes?)

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about applying, courses to take, etc. Since I’m applying to med school now, I’m on this site practically every day...

Has anyone rated the SMP at Midwestern yet?
I'm applying now, and would love to get an inside look at the program.

i do not have time right now, but i will be back later to give a detailed review of this program.

FIRST: List your program and your year and then

Midwestern University - Illinois, Master's of Biomedical Sciences, currently 2nd year

Pros:
* class size of your class is small, about 30 so you become really close with the people you are in the same year as
* learning environment: there are a TON of places on campus to study
*facilities seem to be fairly up to date, currently has a building under construction for new added facilities
8 very non-competitive in nature, everyone here in your class as well as profs is here to help you succeed
*all profs have an open door policy and you can ask them questions any time, i have never had one make me feel silly
*cost: ~$24,000/yr for 2 years...seems fairly reasonable
* structure of program: flexible yet structured. you have classes that are hard wired in but you have room to add electives in your area of interest which is really neat.
*buildings: campus is a fairly isolated environment so buildings are all walking distance apart
*campus offerings: there are a TON of opportunities to get involved/do community service on campus.
Cons:
*young program so still working out some kinks. we have had to endure some and there are changes made for next year as well so be prepared for there to be minor kinks.
*location: not close to any public transportation lines; there is a metra that goes into downers grove but it is about 2 miles away from campus and there is no way to get from one to the other; unless you live on campus you will have to have a car
* location: the only option on campus to eat is the cafeteria which is okay but gets tiring; you can bring lunch on your own but only has 3 micros in student center so they get crowded; other places to go are plenty but involve going off campus and when you have 1 hr break it can be hard to get there and get back
* chicago winter: you will have cold weather which comes with bad snowstorms that you have to drive through (allow plenty of extra time) and is bound to cause an occasional battery trouble...so invest in triple a :)

we took human physiology with the physician assitants, biochem with the med students, immunology with the pharm students as well as some classes by ourselves which include a research design class, a statistics class, a research lab class, medical writing, journal club and microbiology (with a lab).
have the option to take a pharmocology series with the med students, cardio pharm, exercise physiology, medical spanish, anatomy with physician's assistants among others.

the craziness of parking on weds. the fact that while there is a lot of variety that it is all about a 10 min drive away (with traffic)

you will work hard...be prepared to work hard. get a good study plan down 1st quarter as 2nd quarter is more intense. start talking to potential research mentors early..figure out where you fit in early, get it all straightened out before everyone starts scrambling and you do not get to have your first choice. you really do not need textbooks (unless you are a textbook nerd like me...lol), everything you need to know is in your note packets. arrive early on wed to get a parking spot on the correct side of campus as it is crazy with everyone and tehir brother there for omm...arrive by 9:30am.

well it is chicago...so apply early and apply often...lol. but seriously, i would advise applying as early as possible in the cycle to avoid having to endure the torture of the waitlist (as i did).

i can not speak for myself personally as i am in the app cycle. i will come back and add as i know more.
i can say from seeing past stats that it has been a very successful program in getting people into the professional school of their choice.
added: i am currently on the alternate list for ccom for the 2014 class (5/12/10)

if you are coming from a distance, i suggest triple a. winters here are brutal and it is nice to have for jumpstarts, esp if car is not used to winter weather.

4.75. i deducted 0.25 due to the minor issues with growing pains and restructuring of classes which will come with kinks.

Last edited:
is midwestern's program a DO SMP? Do you know how many people get into medical school the following year? What is the avg GPA do get into their program

Does anyone have information about The City College of New York Postbacc? If so, please rate!

is midwestern's program a DO SMP? Do you know how many people get into medical school the following year? What is the avg GPA do get into their program

we had 6 people get in first year out of 29.
there is a significant portion of the second yr class that started as well....they have a really good placement rate at both ccom as well as the sister campus of az-com.

we vary, you need a 2.75 to be considered at all. i got in off the waitlist with a 3.0 cum and 3.6 science

if you have any more questions, feel free to shoot me a pm

Pros - You are pretty independent as a student here, you can choose which classes to take and you aren't limited to the simple introductory sciences here. I had friends who took upper level bio classes and some took part in the SMP program. Your adviser is the Dean of Arts and Sciences and is really friendly and is always willing to meet with you. I probably went to her about once a month and she knew my name by the second time I saw her. Among the postbacs there is very little competitiveness and we would always congregate before exams and develop a camaraderie that would help us get through exams.

Cons - Teaching, particularly in the Organic Chemistry department, leaves much to be desired. I learned almost all of my orgo by myself or with friends and class was essentially pointless. Orga TAs were even worse. Some of the undergrads have negative feelings towards the postbacs so there can be a hostile environment, particularly in labs when some of your TAs are younger than you. Location is great if you want to live in Georgetown, but it can be difficult to get to (I lived in Arlington) but there are buses to shuttle you to the Metro. Some facilities are old, but the Orgo Labs are brand new. Cost is way too much, though you pay less than you would as an undergrad.

I took the basic sciences, 1 year each of Chem, Phys, Orgo, and Bio. Instead of taking Bio II, though, I took biochem and that ended up coming in really handy and I think the class was much more enjoyable.

Really - Orgo here sucks. Professors are unwilling and unable to help you. You will need to learn this by yourself.

Take Gen Chem and Physics in the summer. There are fewer exams and in such a short time its easier to remember how to do the math involved in these classes.

Also, volunteer at the hospital, but get your immunizations record before you start volunteering so you can do something other than sitting at a desk for four hours.

When I applied I just needed to send in a form and a transcript, so none. I believe it has changed since then, though.

Dunno yet.

Make sure you make friends here, they will teach you what you don't understand and you can teach them what they don't understand, thereby enhancing your own understanding of the subject.

3.5 - most of the cons are related to the teaching quality. While Orgo is by far the worst, only one or two of my professors actually taught me the subject (Glick in Gen Chem and Rosenwald in Biochem). Even then, it wasn't always perfect.

Mills is located in Oakland, literally smack in the middle of the notorious neighborhood surrounding Seminary. Despite the location being somewhat questionable in terms of safety and convenience, Mills is a completely enclosed campus and has excellent security. The dorms are nice on campus, with a Lucky's just down the street. There is a sweet shuttle service that runs all day and late into the night from campus to Berkeley. The price tag of this formal post-bac program is steep, but I think it is worth it, if you're looking to boost your GPA and fulfill your pre-reqs for dental or medical school. The faculty are great, although their primary concern is the undergraduates. The small class sizes are a plus and the classes have a lot of work (assignments, quizzes, test, labs), but you retain a lot more information this way. The students are willing to help each other and share resources, so its a very supportive environment. Science classes are held in the fairly new NSB building, which is beautiful and very sleek compared to other buildings on campus. The lab facilities are excellent, and I really liked how one can enroll in other classes on campus easily, since it is a small campus. If you're interested in research, you'll need to seek it from UCSF or Berkeley, as Mills research is very limited. Not a lot of leadership positions available on-campus, so getting involved in the community via the hundreds of organizations or Berkeley Free Clinic is a must (most classmates are involved there anyways).

Biology I & II + Labs
General Chem I & II + Labs
Organic Chem I & II + Labs
Physics I & II + Labs
Anatomy
Physiology
(if you need a description for these classes, then i'd be worried)

That there isn't really a pre-health advising committee or anything of that sort implemented in the program for you. There are lunchtime seminars, where professionals and admissions people come and talk about their field or their schools, but overall, you're pretty much on your own with the resources you obtain from other students and SDN.

It's a big commitment, and nothing like the undergraduate experience. It's a small school, with males only in the graduate programs, so the dynamics of the school are very different from most big schools.

Apply to the program early, and yes, you can apply so you enter the program right after graduation.

Yes. A 4.00 looks good on anyone's application (but it took a lot of work)

Make sure you have a social life off-campus and some connections with people in the East Bay/SF area, or else you will go crazy in this program.

4 (good solid program)

Last edited:
Pros It is in Miami so if you love hot weather you are home. The faculty are approachable. The students were nice we came from all over the country, so the diversity was apparent. The classes were easy if you studied, and interesting. I am from NYC so living in a nice area with a roomate was cheap to me. However if you are from a small city it is expensive. There are required courses, and there are electives. Joining the BMS club allowed you to do extracurricular activities medically related, underserved, and socially.
Cons Should have had more opportinities to do research, and obtaining a job.

Physiology
Pharmacology
Neuroanatomy with Lab
Histology with Lab
Biochemistry 1&2
Ethics
The rest were electives

That the apartments listed should be checked out first, the "hood" is 20 blocks away.
Make sure you improve your application overall. Barry will increase your GPA, you must on your own do other things to improve your apps. Most of the students that did not get into their desired program did not improve MCAT scores or research or volunteering etc.

Make sure you do other things to improve your apps.

Yes. I graduated with a 3.96 GPA UG 2.49 yeah it helped LOL

IMPROVE YOUR APPLICATION IN EVERY ASPECT!!!!!!!!! Get the LOR's early since it is a small school everyone bombards the professors and there will be a delay. Get to know them personally always ask questions. At one of my interviews the Dr. Interviewing you saird Dr Blank must love you. Whatever was in the LOR must have been good.

5 Loved it, and it helped me to be a better student and applicant

After graduating from Penn State (Main) I found myself on a few Osteopathic school wait lists with nothing to do for a year. I had pretty good stats (GPA about 3.3 and 30 MCAT) and had really just dropped tehe ball and applied later than I should have. I found out about the PCOM post-bacc program and decided to apply (it was free online). I got accepted to it almost immediately. It was the best decision I ever made.
I am now a 2nd year at PCOM, and doing a year of the post-bacc program has really given me the academic edge. Not only do you have many of the same professors, but we're talking sometimes identical lectures and occassionally test questions. Don't get me wrong: I work my butt off studying, but since the material is not really totally "new" it just makes the information that much easier to file away in your brain. The post-bacc saved my life as far as gross anatomy. When you get into learning Systems in 2nd year, I think the playing field is pretty even for post-bacc and non post-bacc students up until now. We're doing Neuro, which was included in the Biomed program in a less clinincal watered down form. Again I started seeing identical lectures and information and WOW what a help!
Bottom line for me was that it was incredibly stressful during Biomed knowing you have to get very good (read A's and B's, doing whatever it takes to avoid C's) grades, but if you work hard it will pay off in a very long term way. People in my class gripe about how Biomeds have an unfair advantage, but hey if they wanted to take on another 30g's in debt and a year of their lives, they could have. It was worth every dime for me!

Hey guys, anyone out there who completed and got accepted into medical school through the UM SIE program. Since I am one of the working students who cannot afford to quit work, while I do my post bacc. So, any information regarding SIE program will be great. Please help!

This forum has been truly helpful, thank you to everyone who has responded. I am new here and am trying to find as much information as I can on postbac programs in Southern California where I currently live. I have not had much luck finding any information on the LMU Postbac Premed program, has anyone attended this program? I know it is pretty new but not finding anything about it does not seem like a good sign. Any information anyone could provide will be appreciated.

Thank you!:)

This forum has been truly helpful, thank you to everyone who has responded. I am new here and am trying to find as much information as I can on postbac programs in Southern California where I currently live. I have not had much luck finding any information on the LMU Postbac Premed program, has anyone attended this program? I know it is pretty new but not finding anything about it does not seem like a good sign. Any information anyone could provide will be appreciated.

I don't know anything about the LMU program but I know that a lot of people in SoCal have had a good amount of success with the CSULA PB program.

i don't know if you're interested, but USC has a program. i interviewed and was accepted there, which i'm pretty excited about. :]