**Rate your SMP & Postbac**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I did a post-bacc at Hofstra, completed the program with straight A's and a somewhat disappointed feeling. Without going into too much detail, I was one of those students who messed around for 3 semesters when I was 18, quit school till 23, went back and graduated with a 3.8 (psych degree, not counting my 18yo GPA), so I had prereeqs and GPA to fix. Believe it or not I could not get into any post-bacc programs on the AMCAS list, nor any of my local state schools. Got into Hofstra and figured since 1 semester costs $3k less than my entire Cal state education, it must be quality.

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)
Pros:
--Got my pre-reqs done in a little over a year, got my A's.
--Didn't have any trouble getting into the classes I needed.
--Cool campus, all old ivy-league-looking brick buildings on a large campus, FILLED with art, and a wide variety of trees. Really is a beautiful campus. They have this really great collection of statues that are of scientists, philosophers, etc that are spread around either studying or doing whatever claim to fame they did....probably the coolest bit of campus art I've ever seen.
--Free parking, Free tutoring.
--Nice library, good study space, open late.
--Very close to NYC, was useful for me since I had a great job at a friends company while I was at Hofstra.
--Faculty letter upon completion of program, with mock entrance interviews.
Cons:
--Nothing special given to post-bacc students. Nothing. I felt as if I was just going back to undergrad, which is more or less the truth. Didn't hear the word MCAT once.
--Faculty: I tried to develop relationships with post-bacc faculty but they weren't really open to just conversing, if it wasn't paperwork based they would wonder why I was trying to talk to them. All of my teachers did this thing where If i went to talk to them either generally about the subject or with questions, if it was anything that required more than a few sentences they would tell me to seek out the wonderful free tutoring the school provides.
--I had labs taught by grad students who basically just gave us the answers and socialized.
--Classrooms/labs fairly dated. Stone age compared to my Jr. College.
--Teaching style: 5 of the 8 science classes I took at Hofstra had less than desirable teachers. My gripes with all of them were the same;a large portion of the grade being outside my control, in-class instruction that was basically a few sentences per topic, absolutely no idea what would be on the exams, material on the exams having no permanent resources to learn from (their personal research, out of class lecture events during business hours etc), and what I would describe at some points as an 'odd' curriculum. The extreme example would be my general chem/bio1 courses. These courses at Hofstra were the hardest courses I have ever taken in my life. Mind you, I love the topics and got A's when I took these classes 3+ years ago. No joke they make med school seem like an absolute breeze. My bio1 teacher went in this crazy chapter order 1-22-33-23-3, and included stuff on the first exam from literally all over the book. We didn't learn about cells until month 3. I kid you not I read the books cover to cover before each exam and took multiple free online courses simultaneously and JUST rode the curve to an A. Nobody ever believes me when I tell them about the topics covered in the bio curriculum. My general chem teacher once opened his power point, sighed, said he didn't want to spend the time explaining molarity, and moved on. These are my extreme examples, but each of those 5 classes had some form of BS to them.

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.
1 precalc, chem1/lab, bio1/lab
2: chem2/lab,calc
3: bio2, chem3/lab, physics/lab
4: phsyics2/lab, biochem

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program
I don't want to say they are deceptive with their description about preparing you for med school, but you will get no preparation for med school. Cost does not equal quality. Being in class with other post-baccs would probably make a world of difference.

4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program
My review sounds negative but overall the school gave me what I needed, nothing less nothing more.

5) Tips for students applying to your program
Most entertaining thing on campus is watching the cramped Au Bon Pan line turn into a violent stampede right before classes start. The "Coffee on the quad" place is the best spot to study, the woman who runs it plays great music and it never gets busy.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?
In terms of getting pre-reqs done yes, absolutely no other reason. I had an extremely high MCAT score, great volunteer work, and amazing LORs.

7) Anything else you'd like to add
One interesting thing to note is that I never met any other post-bacc students who were not in their 1st semester. I think a lot of kids in the program leave in a semester or two and go in a different direction.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have any information on Case Western's Master of Medical Physiology or University of Northern Colorado's Master of Biomedical Sciences program?

HI There
Is there any new update for SMP program rating from 2013? I am applying 2014 cycle and I think my situation quite fits in the program description, a bad undergrad GPA (electrical engineering so no prereq courses were taken except cal 2.34), a good postbacc GPA(3.84 ), haven't done a format MCAT but score around 30 +. I am thinking about applying for SMP for the gap year to demonstrate my ability to match up with the matriculated med students. As I digging in my research on SDN, I found there was a huge list of SMP people had previously attended to and I wonder if there is any new SMP program in the recent years? I am not seeking for a POSTBACC but a one or two year grad level program that will taught with med students.

BU, EVMS, RFU, VCU, Loyola and Tulnce ACP are on the top of my list. Any suggestion? Thank you

Members don't see this ad :)
You can't expect people to hand you the info you need. You need to spend a minimum of 10 hours studying the posts in this forum from those who have gone before. Generally this late in the app cycle it works best to apply immediately when you discover a new program and figure out the details later.

You can't expect people to hand you the info you need. You need to spend a minimum of 10 hours studying the posts in this forum from those who have gone before. Generally this late in the app cycle it works best to apply immediately when you discover a new program and figure out the details later.

I totally agree with you, I started with a thread stating my situation under GPA3.0, and got a helpful alternative that a SMP might work best for my situation. Then I set off to research the reviews of current SMP programs and reviewed another thread posted by you on 2008 which gave a precise definition of what true SMP was. I found all the resources were helpful yet out dated. As a matter of fact I've spent more than 15 hours digging into it.

I just wonder why is there no review of SMP lately, is it because people found SMP programs are less helpful and risky in terms of money and time invested? I've contacted at least 5 SMP programs according to other users' reviews combined with your 2008 list. The following is the email I sent out to each program coordinator.

Dear school admission officer

I am writing this email to seek some valuable advices before I start applying to the special master program offered by your institution. I have read all the frequent asked questions beforehand and the reason I am writing this email because my situation is different than the other applicants.

I am an international student (Canadian), who did his undergrad studies in Electrical Engineering at University of Toronto. However my overall GPA was very low GPA 2.34 due to the later years of family issues. After the issue had resolved, it dramatically affected my career path (because my one of family member was in severe medical condition during my last two years in undergrad), and decided to become a physician.

I then came to the U.S., planned to do the postbacc, I started off on 2012 with medical school prereq courses because my engineering program ran a different curriculum that I had no prior experiences in any courses (except calculus). The institution I am attending is called La Sierra University; a seven day Adventist private school locates in Riverside, California. By far I have completed 1 year of general physics w lab, 1 year of general chemistry w lab, 1 year of organic chemistry w lab, and by June 2014, I will have completed 1 year general biology w lab, 1 year of humanity course ( Japanese ), also biostats, genetics and biochemistry ( without lab )

My cGPA at current institution is 3.82 and it will be higher given that I have undergone the transitional state in the United States, and I have a scheduled MCAT test date on June 21st this year which is my first MCAT test ( the tentative score release date will be July 22nd ), I did some monk tests and I hit 33 averagely. I did some shadowing at local clinic for both dentist and physician, and I have more than 4 strong recommendation letters written by since professors and school faculty members.

Currently I am doing volunteer at ER at a local hospital; however, I didn’t start off until late January this year ( because I have no SSN and most hospitals need to run background check which made me totally out of the pool ), and two research projects will be starting off this March. (Genetics and biophysics) I have some prior volunteering experiences but they were all random events yet they still gave me approximately 40 hours plus in volunteering.

Given that I have a very limited time frame compared to other traditional and local students, I need to manage multitasks in a very short period of time, and also have foreseen the potential damage that once I submitted my application for 2014 cycle to AAMC, my poor GPA at University of Toronto will drag me down at the first GPA screening by schools (a typical cutoff at 3.0) and I will not be able to prove any progress in the past two years. All the hard work will be offset by my unrepairable GPA in my prior studies and I can’t image how much longer to repair them if I keep staying in the postbcc and it doesn’t not grant me any degree but adding more uncertainties.

The SMP program brought me into attention, because I think I fit into the program description: an unrepairable college GPA, a good prereq GPA, and a potential good MCAT score, and willing to delicate in my studies and prove my ability. I am not concerned financially and I believe one year program is the best place to show my potential to match up with the matriculated med students. Worst case scenario would be another year of wait and the SMP can still earn me a master degree in health profession anyhow. My major concerns are two: first given that there is a deadline around May and absolute deadline on June, if I can make sure all the major materials are submitted prior to the deadline and add the MCAT score during the mid-July for the final decision will that still doable? (I really want to find a solution for my gap year because I almost finished the prereq ). Second given my international status will that hinder me from applying to your SMP? If I can do well in your program will my international status still be a tread stone to be considered for your medical school?

I'll try to help. Keep in mind that I'm applying to SMPs and that most of my info is from here.

Here's what I would do. Calculate your AMCAS overall gpa and bcpm gpa, so that you have a better idea of where you stand. I'm going to estimate 120 units at a 2.3 gpa + 30 units at a 3.8 will net you an overall gpa of only 2.6. That's not only too low for applying to med schools this cycle, but probably also for SMPs. Your bcpm will probably be a lot higher than that, but you have to factor in bcpm classes that you took in undergrad as well (i.e. physics).

I don't think international status will hinder getting into SMPs. Financial aid might be a different story, but you said you're not concerned financially.

From what I've seen, to be competitive for the SMPs that have decent rates of getting people into the host med school, you'll might need to add another year or two of classes with the 3.8+ avg just to get your overall gpa closer to 3.0. If you have like a 2.9 and a solid mcat, you might get in if lucky. I don't think a 2.6 and no mcat would cut it though.

I don't think international status will hinder getting into SMPs. Financial aid might be a different story, but you said you're not concerned financially.
It does because good US SMPs want people who get into a US medical school.... and most US MD schools are very harsh on international applicants (as they should given the plethora of qualified US citizens) to the point where some (like mine) do not accept any non-US citizens, or take very few.

Well, true so I need a higher MCAT right now because taking another 1 or 2 years undergrad classes just make nonsense unless I am intended to get a 2nd degree. I had physics related courses which I did okay I did poorly on elective course such as history of economics, research project etc

Well, true so I need a higher MCAT right now because taking another 1 or 2 years undergrad classes just make nonsense unless I am intended to get a 2nd degree. I had physics related courses which I did okay I did poorly on elective course such as history of economics, research project etc
A 45 MCAT does not make up for a 2.6..... you will need to take those 1 or 2 years of more undergrad classes if you want to have a shot at an SMP and subsequently US medical school.

Otherwise pack your sunscreen and head to the Carib

It does because good US SMPs want people who get into a US medical school.... and most US MD schools are very harsh on international applicants (as they should given the plethora of qualified US citizens) to the point where some (like mine) do not accept any non-US citizens, or take very few.

True, I am from Canada, and some schools treat Canadian as out of state applicants, but some schools only consider us citizen and pr

Actually I am a full time school right now and have been for almost 2 years. So if 4 years account for 120 units, a full time for 2 years will contribute about 60 units . When I do the calculation I have 2.4*120+3.85*60/ 180 = 2.88 sth. Perhaps I need unitize my summer time to retake calculus sequence. To boost it closer to 3.0...

Don't bother retaking unless you failed a prereq. Again, you'll want to calculate your gpa according to AMCAS. I'm not sure if there's any discrepancy when converting Canadian grades over. Since you haven't taken your mcat yet, you'll have to wait until next year's SMP apps anyway.

True I emailed some schools, one or two encourage me to create a file and they can make final decision right away upon my mcat score release. I recalled one was Virginia common wealth. Again if I choose to stay at my current institution for another year I am looking at some upper division classes but will be less helpful for future McAT prep ( if I need to retake it )

Members don't see this ad :)
I wouldn't even apply there because:
1. They have a 3.0c/3.2sgpa requirement. Maybe they're make an exception for you?
2.Apps started in Jan and people are encouraged to apply early. You're asking to be reviewed on the last day with below avg stats.
3. The success rates into VCU are in the 30s percentage wise. This was from 2010 and 2011. Like many other SMPs, it's probably more competitive now.
4. You dunno if Canadian status will lower your chances (it probably will based on what rob said). You can try asking, but they might not give a clear answer. I mean, you could try asking current students and try to find the answer yourself.
5. Might not matter, but the 1 year thing is a certificate, not Masters.
6.Guaranteed interview=/=guaranteed acceptance=/=50/50. It might just be them honoring the contract.

I would research carefully before making any decisions/forking over $$$/getting false hope.

True, I am from Canada, and some schools treat Canadian as out of state applicants, but some schools only consider us citizen and pr
No.

For the purposes of med school admissions (which is the only thing that matters), you are an international, and NO ONE considers you an out of state or Puerto Rican citizen. Look at the MSAR, they don't lump out of staters in the same column as international for a reason.

I don't believe Canadians can get U.S. financial aid - so you also have to think about how you are going to pay the approximately $240k tuition bill. Not sure if Canada will give you financial aid to study in a different country.

I think PR referred to permanent resident. That means green card, and it means you can get loans for med school from the US. You're not "considered" a permanent resident as a Canadian. Wherever this info is coming from...don't take that source seriously.

The Canadian advantage, if there is one, is that the educational system is comparable to the US, such that you complete undergrad and then you go to med school. So generally you don't bear the burden to explain your transcripts as you would elsewhere.

Agree w/rob, don't kid yourself about being financially capable to do med school in the US. Cost of attendance is regularly over $250k and as an international you have to put that money in escrow.

After 7 years I still have yet to see any predictable recipe for GPA redemption as a Canadian. There are Canadians in US SMPs. I've met some. But I have no idea if these are 3.7's from UT or what. And I have absolutely no idea what to advise Canadians with low GPAs who want to get into a US school.

With such a low GPA, honestly it's best to apply DO with grade replacement; especially with the merger of the AOA and ACGME so you should be able to attend an AOA program and still be able to practice in Canada (or apply to ACGME programs, which isn't impossible either). But don't quote me on this.

Now if you're adamant about USMD as an international (Which in all honesty, is near impossible with such a low GPA as the very few internationals that do make it have stellar stats), the best advice would first to find a way to become a permanent resident. Even with a stellar MCAT (And I'm talking 36+) and a 4.0 SMP GPA, it will be very difficult to get into medical school with such a low GPA. While none of us can say its impossible, after 2+ years of reading this forum (and Rob + MidLife's greater length of time perusing on here), I have yet to read of any n=1 stories of an international student with similar stats making it into a USMD school.

If you become a permanent resident, then a lot more doors would open up for you. But honestly, just take advantage of DO grade replacement and save yourself the trouble.

Anyone have any thoughts on KCUMB-COB?

I skimmed the thread but I didn't see anything--- I may have missed it.

Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated.

Does anyone have any new personal experience with U of Michigan MS Physiology? I think for the coursework path, you guys should be almost done right?

Does anyone have any new personal experience with U of Michigan MS Physiology? I think for the coursework path, you guys should be almost done right?

I just got accepted to this program and would also like to hear front hose that have finished or are currently enrolled.

Sacramento - Drexel IMS

I posted in the low GPA thread as well, but I guess it might get lost, so I'll post here with some additional information - http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13868904&postcount=3051

I love Sacramento because I've lived there my whole life. Some people may want to live in the city (Philadelphia) and have access to lots of places to eat, stores and other things by foot. I like bigger roads and the ability to drive around (and find parking!). Plus I was able to live at home with my parents. Rent is a bit cheaper compared to bigger cities.

Sacramento is a small class, usually between 15-25 students. You'll get to know all your classmates. You can rely on them, make good friends and almost everyone is close to one another... well at least we can stand each other - or know what we all look like! Dr. Tamse and Dr. G (Dr. Dasu too I guess? But he wasn't my adviser so I didn't see him often) and the rest of the Sacramento staff are super nice and they will do everything they can to help you if you need it.

The "campus" is basically just a floor of a large building. You don't need more than that to study. If you were looking for a college experience, this isn't it. It has all the things you need to be successful, and it is a nice place to study and do well.

Biochemistry - Tough course. Questions may be tricky for some people. For biochem majors it won't be too bad. We start off with it early in the year, so you need to study this very well because you won't be used to the level of detail required and the types of questions you'll see. Work hard and you'll do well.

Microanatomy - Histology and Cell Bio combined. Lots of slides, lots of memorizing. The time put into this class will directly correlate with what your grade is. Nothing complicated or fancy... just memorize and look at pictures. Dr. Smith - the course director (but not sure for how much longer?) is super nice. I went to visit her at Drexel during my interview, she spent plenty of time to talk to me.

Immunology - Most organized class at Drexel. The material is great, taught very well. Dr. Larson is awesome. If you get into Drexel you'll have her for Genetics too. There is a ton of material though, you need to work very hard if you want to get 93% for an A. Every point matters... I barely made that cutoff on this course - you need to study very hard for each quiz because getting 100% on each of them will help you make it there.

Nutrition - I actually liked this course. It is very clinically relevant. Most people didn't like it... the saddest part is Dr. Swaney is retiring after this year (I Think?). I really liked him - I went to visit him once when I was interviewing at Drexel - super nice professor, spent 30+ minutes to talk to me.

Physiology - I liked Physio. I had it with Dr. Laudadio, but she is no longer the course director. This class was a bit harder for some people, because it requires a bit more physics based thinking rather than memorizing. Get lots of practice and tutoring if this isn't your strength.

Neuroscience - Sort of like Microanatomy, one of my favorite courses. It comes at the end of the year, so your schedule won't be so busy and you'll get a lot more time to study. It won't be hard to get honors in it if you work at a decent pace.

Med and Society - Ethics course basically.

Not much really. But for any incoming students - make sure to have some good experiences coming in (Volunteering, etc). You'll get a chance to shadow at Kaiser and if you stay for a second year, get some clinical research under your belt.

Work hard. Don't slack off. You don't want to start off with a 75 on your first exam and have to rely on getting 90's to get a B.

Apply early and call admissions! There are plenty of spots available early. I actually don't think Sacramento IMS filled up this year either.

Yes, I am currently an MS1 at Drexel. I really like my school and all the professors are awesome. I am actually enjoying MS1 because I've taken all the courses so I can really focus on clinicals. I can work at free clinics all over the city and have a large variety of extracurriculars that I can do because my school is so large.

Dr. Tamse and Dr. G were awesome. The rest of the Sacramento Staff like Lynn were super helpful all the time. Friendly atmosphere - everyone knows each other.

The Drexel curriculum is actually very good. Lots of the lecturers are decent, but even for those that may not be super articulate or lucid - the notes are amazing. You won't need anything else but these notes.

5, met my expectations. My GPA was horrid and I felt like I had almost no chance of getting into an MD school even with 3+ years of undergrad retakes. The program allowed me to network and get a ton of research and build my academic records up.

Hello

Congrats on everything!!! That is great to hear. I have a question. I am in MSP right now and will be matriculating into MBS at Drexel in Philly. I just wanted to know if in your IMS class (which may have had some people from MSP) other stories in terms of did they get in on their first application after MSP year or did they get in when they applied after MBS/IMS year? I just wanted to get a good grasp of the success stories as to what and how Drexel helped them?

Hey.
I recently got accepted into the drexel IMS program and I really like the program but I'm also considering doing a regular masters in science degree.
My GPA is a 3.0 and my mcat score score is 31.
The reason why I'm considering the regular masters is because it's in my home town and if I go back there id get my in-state status back so that I could hopefully get into my state allopathic school which is my dream school. I'm also hoping that it would be easier for me to do well in a regular masters as apposed to the IMS with medical school classes.
I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Hey.
I recently got accepted into the drexel IMS program and I really like the program but I'm also considering doing a regular masters in science degree.
My GPA is a 3.0 and my mcat score score is 31.
The reason why I'm considering the regular masters is because it's in my home town and if I go back there id get my in-state status back so that I could hopefully get into my state allopathic school which is my dream school. I'm also hoping that it would be easier for me to do well in a regular masters as apposed to the IMS with medical school classes.
I would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks in advance!
Double posting isn't allowed.... here is the original if anyone wants to reply to it.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/drexel-ims-vs-regular-masters-in-biology.1066885/

Hey sorry about that. I actually wasn't aware that this wasn't allowed. I just thought I'd get more feedback here. Thanks a lot for your post :)

I just got accepted to this program and would also like to hear front hose that have finished or are currently enrolled.

I graduated a year ago from that program. Feel free to PM if you would like info.

Rosalind Franklin University B.M.S. Program
Class of 2014

1) The Pros and Cons of the Rosalind Franklin BMS program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

Pros:
-Program is only 9 1/2 months long as opposed to some other SMPs that can take 2 years.
-Guaranteed Interview with the medical school for BMS students
-You take classes with medical students, thus experiencing what medical school is like
-If admitted to the Chicago Medical School(CMS) then you do not have to take a gap year between the end of BMS and start of CMS. You just take the summer off and start the following school year.
-if admitted to the medical school, you do not have to repeat the medical classes you took as a BMS student
-taking medical school courses can help your application if you do well in them when applying to other medical schools

- School is small enough to get attention, but big enough that you don't need to hang out with the same people all the time
- Students are not cut throat premeds
-If you want a chance to attend any medical school because your grades or MCAT are not good enough for all other schools, then this is the best shot you got besides some of the other SMPs with linkage to a medical school.
-Not alot of distractions in North Chicago, so you can have one year to focus and get into medical school
-General feeling of students is that this program is truly about merit(AKA: if you work hard and perform well, you will be rewarded with an acceptance, even though there is no guarantee from the medical school).
-Kind and Knowledgable faculty
-School just added new facilities this year, so it feels like a fairly new school

Cons:
- There is no guarantee that you will be accepted to the medical school just because you are a BMS student
- Medical School does not tell BMS students the admission standards for BMS students, so you are taking a gamble on yourself if you come here
-North Chicago is not in Chicago. It is about 40 Minutes North of the actual City of Chicago.
-North Chicago is cold as hell!
- Program is not easy and one failed exam can tank any hopes of you matriculating to CMS and ultimately any other US MD medical schools
-$50,000 for one year and one chance

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description:
The classes we took during the year are Clinical Molecular Biology, Medical Biochemistry, Medical Physiology and Medical Neuroscience. These classes were taken with medical students. In addition, we took a Topics in Physiology(TiPs) course which supplemented the Medical Physiology course. Finally, we also took courses related to a healthcare track. For example, I took the business track and took Accounting, Statistics, Marketing and Risk Management. The TiPs class was only BMS students and the track courses were taken with a variety of students of different disciplines.

I wish I knew how hard this program was. Everyone tells you medical school will be hard, but you don't really know till you get there. As BMS students we did about 70% of the work of an M1, but it was still ridiculously challenging.

The program is changing slightly and the high linkage that is there might not be as strong in the future. But I can still tell you the linkage to the medical school will probably be an acceptance rate above 60% of BMS students that finish the program. That might sound not high enough, or it might be discouraging that the program might be scaling back on taking BMS students, but they will still take BMS students. 60% acceptance is much better than you applying to other medical schools as an external applicant where you probably have less than 20% chance of being accepted.
Try and get a good MCAT score(28+). Traditionally, there have been students that have gotten into BMS with Mid 20s MCAT score. But the standards have increased alot in the last couple years because more applicants know about the linkage to the medical school. Also, there are rumblings that the medical school wants more BMS students with higher MCAT scores than the mid 20s, so higher MCATs are going to be valued in the future.
Absolutely! Chicago Medical School is probably the only medical school I had a chance at and I am here now because of the BMS program, so I am ecstatic!
Be prepared to work hard. This one year can set you up for the rest of your life and help you attain that acceptance.
8) A rating from 1-10:
I give the Rosalind Franklin BMS program a 9 out of 10. I can't give it a perfect score because you are not guaranteed a spot in the incoming medical school class. But if you get good grades and your interviews(there are 2, possibly 3 if first two are discordant) goes okay then you should be admitted to the medical school. When I say good grades, I mean you should try to maintain a 3.5 GPA in the program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
G2SMP/GeorgeSquared SMP

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

Structure/Learning environment: We ran about a week after the Georgetown med schedule. The vast majority of the classes were lecture captured. Attendance was about 80-90% first semester and then dropped steadily till about 40% at the end of the year.

Cost: Tuition is on par with other SMPs. I went to undergrad in a big city, so I found Manassas super cheap.

Location: Almost all classes were at GMU's Manassas campus, with us going once to the GU anatomy lab in every class with an anatomy section. Manassas is a boring town. It also has pretty much every chain restaurant that you can think of.

Faculty: We had two awesome full-time TA's who gave reviews and helped us with our applications. The med faculty would come to Manassas about once or twice per class to lecture live. GMU grad classes were always live.

Classes: Med classes are way harder than grad classes, and they seem more important to med schools when applying.

Difficulty: Super hard. I think our class average was around a 3.2-3.3. I've heard that no one has ever gotten a 4.0

Competitiveness: Our class had this unified goal to beat the med school average. We came close, but always lagged barely behind. There wasn't really any internal competition between us, though. We became pretty close.

Facilities: The building was really big and new, so there was plenty of space to study privately. Because we started earlier and ended later than most GMU students, we had the building to ourselves a lot of the time. There's a huge community gym that's associated with GMU on campus. GMU was building dorms in our year that should be open now. There's also a small cafeteria on campus.

GU med classes: Molecular and Cell Physiology, Metabolism, Nutrition, and Endocrinology, Cardiopulmonary, Gastrointestinal Biology, Renal Biology, Sexual Dev. and Reproduction

GMU grad classes: Biomedical Pathways, Principles of gross anatomy, Genetics, Systems Biology, Neuroscience, Pathophysiology, Biomedical Research Forum

I personally expected to get into school right from the SMP, even though I'd been told to expect it to be a two year process. I got a lot of interviews but they were later in the cycle.

Learn to study efficiently in the first block. Once you find something that works for you, put in as many hours as you can while staying (mostly) sane. You could tell that the people who put in the most time did the best. It's really a program that tests your ability to focus on your goals.

If you really want to attend, letters of intent help. I got in right after sending one, though that could have been a coincidence.

Be prepared to put a heck of a lot of effort into your SMP year. You're there for one reason.

YESSS!!!!! I think almost everyone from my class who got a 3.4+ (by my estimate) in the SMP has gotten into a US MD school. All DO applicants got into their first choice osteopathic school, I think.

There's also a graduate certificate program that offers MCAT prep and grad science courses. I don't know too much about it, but I think it's supposed to be like a more traditional postbacc.

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

5 for people who have a low undergrad GPA and are willing to work. 0 for people who have a high GPA and MCAT already. 3-4 otherwise.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
G2SMP/GeorgeSquared SMP

Structure/Learning environment: We ran about a week after the Georgetown med schedule. The vast majority of the classes were lecture captured. Attendance was about 80-90% first semester and then dropped steadily till about 40% at the end of the year.

Cost: Tuition is on par with other SMPs. I went to undergrad in a big city, so I found Manassas super cheap.

Location: Almost all classes were at GMU's Manassas campus, with us going once to the GU anatomy lab in every class with an anatomy section. Manassas is a boring town. It also has pretty much every chain restaurant that you can think of.

Faculty: We had two awesome full-time TA's who gave reviews and helped us with our applications. The med faculty would come to Manassas about once or twice per class to lecture live. GMU grad classes were always live.

Classes: Med classes are way harder than grad classes, and they seem more important to med schools when applying.

Difficulty: Super hard. I think our class average was around a 3.2-3.3. I've heard that no one has ever gotten a 4.0

Competitiveness: Our class had this unified goal to beat the med school average. We came close, but always lagged barely behind. There wasn't really any internal competition between us, though. We became pretty close.

Facilities: The building was really big and new, so there was plenty of space to study privately. Because we started earlier and ended later than most GMU students, we had the building to ourselves a lot of the time. There's a huge community gym that's associated with GMU on campus. GMU was building dorms in our year that should be open now. There's also a small cafeteria on campus.

GU med classes: Molecular and Cell Physiology, Metabolism, Nutrition, and Endocrinology, Cardiopulmonary, Gastrointestinal Biology, Renal Biology, Sexual Dev. and Reproduction

GMU grad classes: Biomedical Pathways, Principles of gross anatomy, Genetics, Systems Biology, Neuroscience, Pathophysiology, Biomedical Research Forum

I personally expected to get into school right from the SMP, even though I'd been told to expect it to be a two year process. I got a lot of interviews but they were later in the cycle.

Learn to study efficiently in the first block. Once you find something that works for you, put in as many hours as you can while staying (mostly) sane. You could tell that the people who put in the most time did the best. It's really a program that tests your ability to focus on your goals.

If you really want to attend, letters of intent help. I got in right after sending one, though that could have been a coincidence.

Be prepared to put a heck of a lot of effort into your SMP year. You're there for one reason.

YESSS!!!!! I think almost everyone from my class who got a 3.4+ (by my estimate) in the SMP has gotten into a US MD school. All DO applicants got into their first choice osteopathic school, I think.

There's also a graduate certificate program that offers MCAT prep and grad science courses. I don't know too much about it, but I think it's supposed to be like a more traditional postbacc.

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

5 for people who have a low undergrad GPA and are willing to work. 0 for people who have a high GPA and MCAT already. 3-4 otherwise.

Thank you so much for sharing, really appreciate it.
Question- what was you undergrad gpa, mcat score and your extracurricular activities? What makes a strong candidate to get accepted into G2smp ?

Thanks again!! :)

My uGPA was a little over 3.2, MCAT 35, decent research and very strong clinical experience.

The IDEAL SMP candidate has everything ready to be competitive for med school, except for their low undergrad GPA.
If anything is missing, it'll help your chances of getting into an SMP and also into med school by trying to get it done before your SMP year (retaking low MCATs, finishing current classes with A's, clinical experience, research). Also, I really do think that letters of intent help.

My uGPA was a little over 3.2, MCAT 35, decent research and very strong clinical experience.

The IDEAL SMP candidate has everything ready to be competitive for med school, except for their low undergrad GPA.
If anything is missing, it'll help your chances of getting into an SMP and also into med school by trying to get it done before your SMP year (retaking low MCATs, finishing current classes with A's, clinical experience, research). Also, I really do think that letters of intent help.

Thank youu!! :)

I feel like I'm screwed because I need to bring up my GPA to get it to a 3.0 and also to increase my MCAT to a 28 at a minimum.....where do I find the time for everything???? What to do?

EDIT: I had/have poor planning so I did not do it last year/this summer but now I really need to decided what to do. I really need help....i dunno how ill prepare for the new sections on the MCAT (psych, soc, stats - as I've never taken a course in any of these subjects....). Freaking out right now, dunno what to do.

I feel like I'm screwed because I need to bring up my GPA to get it to a 3.0 and also to increase my MCAT to a 28 at a minimum.....where do I find the time for everything???? What to do?

EDIT: I had/have poor planning so I did not do it last year/this summer but now I really need to decided what to do. I really need help....i dunno how ill prepare for the new sections on the MCAT (psych, soc, stats - as I've never taken a course in any of these subjects....). Freaking out right now, dunno what to do.
cross posting three times?
1) its against forum rules
2) chill out

This is a review of Harvard Extension School. I took classes there independently and not through the Health Careers Program, which is what most people refer to when talking about the Harvard postbac. I was there from 2011-2014.

Pros: Classes are affordable and rigorous. I had zero science background before coming in and I made it through with a lot of hard work. Professors are great (most of them) and care about their classes. Relatively easy to get LORs from professors. Most classes aren't curved so the environment isn't competitive. Research and volunteer opportunities in Boston are abundant.

Cons: To be honest, I can't think of any. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat.

I took all of the pre-reqs - bio, ochem, chem, physics and biochem, cell bio and human a&p.

I wish I knew how to study for biology prior to taking it and that it's a notoriously tough class at HES. My only B's in the 44 credits I took at HES were in Bio 1 and 2. Don't underestimate it and if you're like me with no science/bio background coming in then learn how to study early on in the class - get help if things aren't going your way.

The classes are tough and you will work hard. The supposed 40-50% attrition rate at HES is pretty spot-on with what I've witnessed. Many of the peers who I started with are no longer pre-med. Take advantage of being in Boston and near the Longwood Medical Area. Don't be shy - cold call/e-mail for opportunities.

I was not in the program but from what I've seen, it's not too hard to get into. Getting through without too many scratches is another story.

I am currently applying to medical school. I believe it helped me get into the four SMPs I applied to though.

I went to a large, lowly ranked state school and I noticed a dramatic difference in the caliber of students and rigor of classes when I arrived in Boston. Despite my background, I was able to get good grades but I had to work extra hard to adjust. Students at HES are motivated and serious - classes are NOT easy A's.

I'm currently in the University of South Carolina SMP/certificate program/ whatever you want to call it. Since I haven't completed it yet, I don't want to post a complete review but I do know that you guys are gearing up for the 2016 application season for these programs, so if anyone has questions about this one let me know. I'll post a full review at the end of the spring semester.

Program: Temple BCMS

This information is largely available elsewhere here, but to reiterate a bit: the BCMS is a one-year, June-May program in the basic science classes required for med school (ACMS is their SMP-like program). If you get a 3.5 GPA in those classes and the equivalent of a 30 on the MCAT (old scoring system, I don't know what it is now), you get an immediate spot in the incoming Temple Med class starting that August. It's an incredible deal, and there's really nothing else like it in the country. It's the fastest path into med school with no science background, and there are no linkages, or, God forbid, an actual application cycle to deal with.

The program is run through the Temple School of Medicine, and your MCAT classes are in that building, but all of the science classes are regular undergrad classes at the perfectly good Temple main campus, which is also in Philly. You have the same classes and exclusive labs with your cohort. Faculty quality is a little hit-and-miss, but the GPA really isn't a problem—undergrads give the class an easier curve, to the postbacs' benefit. You spend a lot of time with your cohort (>20 people, varying ages and backgrounds), and because you don't have to compete with each other for med school spots, there's good cooperation.

Admission to the program however is very competitive. Check their website for recent stats, but they're maybe just a shade behind Bryn Mawr, Hopkins, and Goucher. Obviously, some of my cohort, including me, interviewed at those places but chose Temple for the guaranteed quick entrance into a good med school. I was from out of state, but there is some preference for PA residents. The admissions staff can be annoying slow, and the application site is totally wonky, but once you're in, they do a good job of meeting your needs.

Tuition is more than Harvard Exchange, but less than or on par with the other full-time programs, and there's a solid, dedicated office of postbac staff at the med school to support you in this program. In-state tuition is also less than out-of-state. Worth it for sure either way.

Gen chem, orgo, bio, and physics for two semesters each, but they have tweaked this to match the new MCAT better.

You're eligible for BCMS-only scholarships when you start med school.

Just do it, honestly. You're not going to get a better, less stressful deal to go to med school.

You can PM if you have a specific question.

It put me immediately into med school. Just had to fill out the AMCAS for AAMC formalities.

Doing a postbac is stressful enough. If you're a career changer, you're going to look at linkages and imagine where you could possibly end up and when you could possibly start med school. That's fine, but this stuff is such a crapshoot, and everyone in your situation should at least apply to Temple—it's the only guarantee out there. If you like living in or near a major city, commit to Philly for 5 years. At the end, you will be an M.D. Take the bird in the hand and save yourself the incredible stress of the resume-padding, how-much-is-ever-enough med school application process.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
Barry University Biomedical Sciences Masters program

Pros: Helpful and approachable faculty; non-competitive environment; small-class size (about 40-something students are accepted every semester); teaching assistants (who are previous students) are available to help; classes are interesting; lots of diversity because students are from all over the country; program can be completed in 1 year, 18-months, or 2 years; location is in Hollywood, Florida

Cons: Cost (each credit is about $1000); the library is only on the main campus in Miami Shores but there is study space available for students to study on the Hollywood campus (Nova Southeastern University isn't too far from the campus so many students choose to study there); no guarantee of acceptance into medical/dental school

Biochemistry I and II, Gross Anatomy, Histology, Neuroanatomy, Physiology, Health Law and Ethics
Course descriptions can be found here: https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/about/course-descriptions.html
Not all electives are offered every semester.

If you have a marginal GPA, it's the perfect place to show that you can handle a medical/dental school curriculum. Improve your application overall. This program can help increase your GPA but it is important to be an overall strong applicant when applying to medical/dental school. Students who don't get into school either perform poorly in the program, do not increase their MCAT/DAT scores, or do not continue their involvement in extracurricular activities. The BMS Society in this program helps students get involved in extracurricular activities.

Apply early and focus on improving your application overall. Have strong MCAT/DAT scores, letters of recommendation, and extracurriculars (e.g., volunteering, research).

Yes, however, I had a strong application before I applied to the program. I think this program helped improve my science GPA and will certainly help me in my first year in medical school.

3.5-4

Anyone from Mt. Sinai MS in Biomedical sciences?

Can't find anyone on this forum who's done it.

Hey guys, as part of trying to continually improving the postbac forums to help SDN students looking into postbacs/SMPs, Id like to ask students here who are going through their SMP/Postbac, or have graduated since to rate their program.

FIRST: List your program and your year and then

Specifically, Id like to see users here comment about

Note to students reading: A majority of these ratings will be subjective and will vary from student to student within the same program. This is just another resource to help our SDN students out :)

-Brandon

Hi everyone,

I am currently enrolled in the BMS Program at Barry University (Florida). I started in January 2014, I am in the 18month dental track.

1. Pros:
- faculty is very approachable and they want to see you succeed
- the program is challenging but if you put in the effort and hard work, you will definitely succeed in this program
- the location of the campus, very close to the beach and the nice weather helps!
- good learning environment, very laid back
Cons:
- some of the material presented in classes is a little bit outdated, makes it a little more difficult to take notes, but it is definitely manageable
- the BMS program has its own campus in Hollywood, Fl (about 20 minutes from main campus). Barry bought a neighbouring community center (BMS program is expanding) to use as classroom space in the future. The center is outdated and still needs a lot of renovation, which they are working on.
-cost, it can get pretty expensive, tuition is about about $900/credit and you will be taking at least 36 credits.
- there are no cadaver labs, all labs are dry labs with plastic models and a new anatomage table
2. The classes are designed to mimic first year dental/medical school. Some of the classes I am taking are: gross anatomy, neuroanatomy, histology, biochemistry and pharmacology. I talked to several students who have completed this program and got into dental school and they all said that the program prepared them well for their first year compared to their peers.
3. I didn't know that cadavers are not available for gross anatomy labs, since they were offered before (when the program was offered on main campus)
4. if you decide to attend this program, take the 18month track. The program is challenging and demands a lot of preparation/study time. The 18month track will space out your schedule so you have time to study and volunteer/get involved to enhance your application
5. Apply early and definitely try to contact admissions when you apply, also try to complete all the program provisions before starting the program, you don't want to stress about taking an undergrad class like organic chemistry while taking the more challenging classes like neuroanatomy over here.
6. This program absolutely helped me out, I am in the dental track and I applied during the summer cycle of 2014. I have had 4 interviews and glad to say that I got into my top choice dental school (finally starting this fall!)
7. I cannot think of anything right now, but if you have any questions about this program let me know!
8. 4/5 I would say

Barry University Biomedical Master's Program

1) Pros: This program definitely prepares you for Medical / Dental school. The classes you take are very similar to the curriculum of the first year courses in many medical and dental schools. The program helped to strengthen my application and has helped increase my DAT scores substantially. The reason why is because this program taught me how to prioritize and maximize my studying habits. You also have recorded lectures available to supplement additional learning if you didn’t understand something while in class. The professors and faculty at Barry University are very sincere and caring about your progress in the program and have open door policy if you need to meet with them. The classroom sizes vary but are no larger than 80 students in the classes. Students in the program are friendly and we have a cohesive relationship where we all know one another or help one another in our studies. Location is in Hollywood, Florida so you are minutes away from the beaches and Miami. As for cost, it is a private school so you definitely want to consider taking your time in doing well. DO NOT rush through the program just to finish it. That is the biggest advice I can give anyone. Most students finish within 1.5-2 years. So take your time and do well in the program. When I received interviews for dental schools, the faculty members already were fond of Barry and actually love students that come from their program due to their background in Biomedical Sciences.

Cons: The only thing I can even think of is that it is a private school so it does cost a bit but it is an investment in your future. That investment has paid off for me as I have been accepted to a few dental schools. So if you make the strides to do well, this program will definitely get you into a medical or dental school.

2) I was in the dental curriculum so I took my courses were: Gross Anatomy w/ Lab, Human Physiology w/ Lab, Neuroanatomy w/ Lab, Histology w/ Lab, Biochemistry I and II, General Dentistry Principles and Practice, Medical Microbiology and Nutrition.

3) I wish I knew how to study before coming into the program. But as you will see, you will build the studying habits fairly quickly because the material that you get each week is all new material so you have to constantly keep up and review. Do this, and you will do great.

4) This program is really a great program. It has helped me get into dental school and like I had mentioned earlier, the faculty and professors here really demonstrate a caring relationship with you. They are there to assist in any questions you may have in class and you don’t have to chase them down. You also have tutors available as well, so all the resources needed for you to excel are all there. The students that you are in class with are your colleagues and for the most part, they aren’t competing with you but rather, they are supportive and help you if you don’t understand something. Seeing that they want to do well will make you want to study and do just as well so the people you study with will have a domino effect on you.

5) You will need letters of recommendation to apply. You also need to have taken the GRE, MCAT or DAT to gain an acceptance in. Make sure you apply early.

6) The program has helped me get into dental schools as well as my classmates.

7) If I could do it over again, I would choose Barry University without hesitation. I learned a great deal in this program and students that go off into medical or dental school say that it is a huge benefit for them and the transition into medical or dental school is less of a shock.

8) Barry University receives a 5 on a scale of 1-5 and I give it the highest recommendation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Barry University Biomedical Sciences Masters program

Pros: Helpful and approachable faculty; non-competitive environment; SMALL-CLASS SIZE (this is extremely important); teaching assistants (who are previous students) are available to help; classes are interesting; program can be completed in 1 year, 18-months, or 2 years; LIVING IN FLORIDA is extremely life changing.

Cons: Cost (each credit is about $1000); this program is very expensive; the library is only on the main campus in Miami Shores and the study space on the Hollywood campus is not good at all. Most of the students study in their apartments or in Nova University. Even though living in florida sounds very fun! just be prepared to pay big bucks for rent, food, and gas.

Biochemistry I and II, Gross Anatomy, Histology, Neuroanatomy, Physiology, Health Law and Ethics
Course descriptions can be found here: https://www.barry.edu/biomedical-sciences/about/course-descriptions.html
Not all electives are offered every semester.

That classes will be conducted in Hollywood and not in the main campus.

DO NOT APPLY DURING YOUR FIRST SEMESTER AT BARRY- schools want to see at least two full semesters of grades.
I you are willing to work hard, you can definitely improve your application by getting all A's and a few B's. This program can help increase your GPA but it is important to be an overall strong applicant when applying to medical/dental school. Students who don't get into school either perform poorly in the program, do not increase their MCAT/DAT scores, or do not continue their involvement in extracurricular activities. Simply if you get C's you will not get into Med/Dental schools, so if you decide to do this program make sure you are ready to put in a lot of work!!!!!! Don't waste your time and money if you are not very passionate about this.

Apply early and focus on improving your application overall. Have strong MCAT/DAT scores, letters of recommendation, and extracurriculars (e.g., volunteering, research).

Yes
However, my undergrad stats were not extremely low, but getting A's in this program definitely demonstrated that I'm capable to handle Dental School.

This program helped improve my studying skills and I was able to increase my science GPA.

3.5-4

Barry University, Biomedical Sciences Masters Program, Hollywood, Florida

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..):

The program is similar to first year medical and dental schools, providing a strong foundation before starting these professional schools. Classes will be difficult, and the study habits that you learn will definitely help you in studying for MCAT/DAT. Classmates are very helpful, and we all help each other out. The faculty is definitely the best that you will ever meet, and combined with the classmates, they are all like family. The downside to the program is the cost and that some of the courses are held in a facility across the street that may make hearing the professors' lectures difficult (but lectures are recorded).

Histology, Neuroanatomy, Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry I & II, Pharmacology, General Dentistry & Principles, Human Physiology

I applied to professional school before starting the program, but I should have waited the following year to apply so that schools were able to see my courses and grades.

Be prepared to study hard. Most people going to SMPs lack the GPA required of a competitive candidate, and this is the opportunity to show these schools that you really want to become a doctor/dentist, and that you are fully capable of handling the course load. Get As and Bs--more than 8 credits of Cs will get you kicked out of the program! Take the summer off and focus on studying for your MCAT/DATs.

Don't force yourself to do the one year track, especially after struggling in undergrad. I saw no difference in acceptances in someone taking the 1 year track versus someone in the 18 month or 2 year track.

Yes, it definitely did! The study habits I obtained from studying for the courses have increased my DAT score (and there were questions on my DAT that I was able to answer from taking these courses, too). I have also had multiple interviews and acceptances into dental schools.

This is an amazing program. They have all the tools there to help you get into your professional school, but you have to put the effort to excel in the program and study hard on the admissions test. Do the 18 month or two year track if you need to get shadowing/ECs done because these are important as well. They have a Biomedical Sciences Society that will help you do this--do join! You meet great people, and you get to help those in need.

5--Full recommendation as long as you are willing to put in the work for your courses, study hard for your admissions test, and apply early.

Barry University, Biomedical Sciences Masters Program, Hollywood, Florida

I am very happy to post this review for Barry University, as I got selected this week into the dental program of the Nova Southeastern University Dental School, Florida.

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..):

The program is awesome and as said by one of the faculty from NOVA Dental School that it reflects the curriculum of 1st year of dental school. Structure of program is made like it will make you learn deep aspect of basic sciences. Professors are very intelligent and smart. Cost is very affordable as we all get loans and 1000 dollars per credit is nothing for getting into medical school. Even the director of the program is so helping. I will share my experience like when I was in need of something he stepped forward and helped me. It was a great help from the director of the program.
Class size is kind of moderate so if you are having problems in studies, professors can concentrate on you and help you improve.

Histology, Neuroanatomy, Gross Anatomy, Biochemistry I & II, Pharmacology, General Dentistry & Principles, Human Physiology. They were in depth. After taking classes if you joined dental/medical school you will find this subjects very easy.

Everything is good. I will say that if you are giving DAT/MCAT give after completion of the program.

Get ready to study hard. You should not work while you are in program otherwise it will definitely affect your grades.

Don't force yourself to do the one year track. I saw no difference in acceptances in someone taking the 1 year track versus someone in the 18 month or 2 year track.

Yes, it definitely did! I have had multiple interviews and finally got selected from one of the best school in USA.

This is an amazing program. They have all the tools there to help you get into your professional school, but you have to put the effort to excel in the program and study hard on the admissions test. Do the 18 month or two year track if you need to get shadowing/ECs done because these are important as well. They have a Biomedical Sciences Society that will help you do this--do join! You meet great people, and you get to help those in need.

5--Full recommendation as long as you are willing to put in the work for your courses, study hard for your admissions test, and apply early.

Barry U.
1. Pro (It got me into dental school) --- Con (No library or study area on campus. The labs for the classes could be a lot better. According to Dr. Pamela Sandow, the program is not rigorous enough.)
2. I took histo, gross, physio, neuro, Immuno, biochem, medmicro, and gen dent
3. idk
4. Your job is to study
5. Do the one year track. Schools love it, but you need to understand that your future and academics need to be your priority.
6. Yah, but i'm not sure to what degree.
7. The dean needs to talk to Dr. Pamela Sandow since the schools reputation needs some fixing according to her.
8. (4) I learned a lot from the program, but the program has a few things it needs to improve on in order for me to give it a 5. However, I have no regrets about it

So how much are you guys getting paid to keep writing reviews for Barry?

Reactions: 15 users
Hey guys, as part of trying to continually improving the postbac forums to help SDN students looking into postbacs/SMPs, Id like to ask students here who are going through their SMP/Postbac, or have graduated since to rate their program.

FIRST: List your program and your year and then

Specifically, Id like to see users here comment about

Note to students reading: A majority of these ratings will be subjective and will vary from student to student within the same program. This is just another resource to help our SDN students out :)

-Brandon

Program: Barry University's Biomedical Sciences Program

Pros:
- Some of the faculty work at Nova Southeastern's Medical and Dental school, and also the Podiatry School at Barry as well. They have a good idea of what admissions committees look for in a prospective student.
-Location. It's a 10 minute drive from an airport, 25 minutes from south beach and downtown Miami. Plenty of shops and restaurants to explore.
- Student body is pretty decent. I could always find a good study group. Everyone I studied with appeared to want to help and see others do well, so I wouldn't say it's a super competitive environment.
-Lectures are recorded, so you can listen to them anytime online.
-Many of the medical and dental schools come down to recruit from Barry. Barry is well-known for its BMS program.
-turning sessions are available.

Cons:
- There isn't much space to study or a library associated with the school at the Hollywood Campus. The school just opened a new building which may have rooms to study, but I haven't gone to that building. Hollywood campus is 20-25 minutes from the main campus
- Cost!!! About $36,000 for the entire program ($990 per credit hour) not including cost of living. You will probably need a car. Renting an apartment will run you about $700-1,000 a month.
- I heard Barry use to have cadavers, but this is no longer the case!

Classes:
-classes may vary a little depending on if you're on the dental or medical track. But generally everyone takes Gross Anatomy, Physiology, Histology, Biochemistry I & II, Neuroanatomy. I also took Immunology, General Dentistry, Human Pathology.

There are labs and practicals associated with Gross anatomy, physiology, histology and neuroanatomy. Most students find neuroanatomy and physiology to be the most difficult courses of the entire program.

Something I wish I knew? I did a lot of research beforehand so there were no surprises.

Advice for incoming students: As with any new program you begin, find a great group of students that have similar studying habits. Do not cram!! This is way more material than any undergraduate course you've taken. Lecture capture was extremely helpful. I would listen to the lectures multiple times at home and always found a small detail I missed. Pay attention to small details! Don't dismiss anything as irrelevant because it truly depends on the professor.

Tips for applying: I feel like Barry is not too difficult to get into. It may say 3.0 online (I can't remember), but I know a lot of students who had a 2.7-2.9 GPA and were accepted. Have a decent gre score, letters of rec and personal statement.

THIS PROGRAM ABSOLUTELY HELPED ME GET INTO DENTAL SCHOOL! In undergrad I had a 3.0 and terrible study skills. I feel extremely prepared for dental school after completing the program. I ended up having 6 interviews and 3 acceptances from my top choices before I withdrew the rest from being wait-listed. I also didn't submit my application until mid September which is pretty late.

I give the program a 4.5! I only took off points for not having a nice library on the Hollywood campus for students. Other than that, it is a great program.