**Rate your SMP & Postbac**

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
barry-potter-s.jpg

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Barry is pretty popular down here for dental students but not so much for medicine. A lot of people who complete it get accepted into NSU's dental program.

From my experience, I have seen many students get accepted into medical and dental schools after completing the program at Barry. It seems to be a helpful program for both pre-med/pre-dent students. So far this year, 23 of the students have been accepted into dental school and 14 into medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sounds a bit like school Admin to me....
From my experience, I have seen many students get accepted into medical and dental schools after completing the program at Barry. It seems to be a helpful program for both pre-med/pre-dent students. So far this year, 23 of our students have been accepted into dental school and 14 into medical school.

Reactions: 2 users
I've seen a lot of accounts with usernames related to Barry, like the one above.. who does that? And all your posts are in regards to their program. Makes one question your authenticity.

Reactions: 6 users
Can someone rate Washington University in St Louis Premedical Post Bac?

Barry University Biomedical Sciences Program Hollywood, FL

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc....
Pros:
-The program is at your own pace. 12 months, 18 months or even 2 years.
- No thesis is require, but there is a comprehensive exit exam that you must pass.
- The course work mimics the first year of Medical/Dental school.
- The content of the course work will help you with the DAT/MCAT material.
- Some professors in our program work at Nova School of Medicine and Barry University Podiatry School and are good connections for those programs of you are interested.
- The Director of the Program (Dr. Chandra) is very supportive of the students and listens to out suggestions and needs
- Labs are set up to give you ample time to learn the material well.
- Free tutoring is available if you need it.
- We are right outside of Miami (close enough to have a blast but far enough to focus)
Cons:
- This program is almost $1,000 per credit, which is expensive.
- There are no cadavers for any lab courses.
- We don't have a large staff so if you want a letter of recommendation you have to really be an outstanding students who interacts with the professor. They are overwhelmed with recommendation requests.

2) The kinds of classes you've taken and a description.
We take upper level science courses.
Core Classes: Neuroanatomy, Human Gross Anatomy, Human Physiology, Histology, Biochemistry I and II.
Classes with labs: Neuroanatomy, Human Gross Anatomy, Human Physiology, and Histology.
Elective classes: Immunology, Pharmacology, Medical Microbiology, Pathophysiology, Cancer Biology, Oral Pathology and Genetics.
3.) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program
-Plan not to work when you do this program. It is imperative that you maximize your potential and use this program to become a more competitive application for professional school.
- Use the summer after your first two semesters (assuming you start in the fall) to study for your entrance exam (three solid months)
- Study every single day for every class!!!!
4) Tips for students applying to your program.
- Make sure application displays ambition and your desire to improve.
-Call and speak with the program director or assistance. They will help you to gage the type of student that they are looking form
5) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?
- Yes. I got 3 interviews and an acceptance after my 1st interview (I then declined the other 2 interviews because I was accepted exactly where I wanted to be)
8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)
I would give this program a 4. If it cost less, had research opportunities and cadavers then I would have rated it a 5.

Barry U looks so sketch now. All the reviews have come from people who's username has the name BMS in it. Rumor also has it Barry isn't well reputed like it once was either. I will not be attending haha.

Reactions: 12 users
Does anyone know about the molecular medicine MS program at Drexel? And if anyone has went there with intentions of applying to Med school after?

So I promised to give a review of the program after completion, here it is

UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CAROLINA BIOMEDICAL CERTIFICATE PROGRAM

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

The program is designed to expose you to a medical style course load, just less material. In the fall and spring semesters you take 9-10 credit hours alongside masters/PhD/DPT/Nurse Anesthesia etc students. Fall you have 2 required classes (Biochemistry and Human Cell Biology) as well as an elective choice between Immunology and Neuroscience. Immuno is seen as the far easier between the two as neuro is very similar to the style that it is taught in medical school (it has more credit hours and lecture hours than immuno). It is universally agreed that the second semester is more challenging than the first as we take Physiology (exact same one the med students take at 6 credit hours) and a choice between gross anatomy and a genetic class that no one took. All together the program exposes you to the same material as M1, just as a masters style format and less material overall. (no ICM classes, no second semester of biochem, no histology, and a choice between neuroscience and immunology but not both). Cost is fair for instate, think I paid around 16k and it is not much higher for out of state.

As far as the campus goes, it's old. The building is owned by the VA and so the school can't actually do any renovations to the building itself because of that red tape. The gym on campus has maybe 10 machines and a television from the 1970's with a turn knob to change the channel. Real old stuff. If you want to work out you need to drive 10 minutes to the main school campus for anything half decent at Strom. The other students in the program are all friendly with each other, and you learn everyones personalities by the end of the program. There wasn't much hanging out going on as a big group but everyone had their own social circles to hang out in. Faculty is a mixed bag. We had excellent professors, intimidating professors, and non native english speaking professors that you had to struggle to listen to to understand. Some of the power points were pretty useless on their own as well, you had to go to class and struggle to understand the professors because if you didn't you would have no idea what their slides were trying to convey. Maybe 1-2 classes were recorded in the program, the rest you had to record yourself.

Fall: Biochemistry, Human Cell Biology, and a choice between Immunology and Neuroscience. The Easier course load involves taking immunology and you should only take neuro if you feel up to the challenge and want to prepare yourself for second semester as it is far more demanding than fall.

Spring: Physiology (6 credits) and a choice between a genetic disorder class and Gross Anatomy, the latter of which all of the students in our program took. Gross Anatomy involves prosections from the DPT students, we get to work with the cadavers but cannot cut them ourselves.

3) Something they wished they knew coming into the program

The program is great for classroom learning, but there is no clinical experience to be had here. You need to find your own.

4) Something they would like to tell incoming students about your program

Don't get lulled into a false sense of security after the first semester, the second semester might only have two classes but they are medical school style and extremely challenging. Also make friends with everyone you can, many of the professors that teach your classes are also on the admissions committee.

5) Tips for students applying to your program

Some people in our program had to interview to get in, some people just applied and were accepted. Just be yourself if you have to interview and you will be fine. The program had something like 170 applicants for 30 positions.

6) Did it help you get into medical school/dental school/etc.?

Off the top of my head I believe 9 of us applied to medical school, and 7 were accepted. Pretty good odds, with 4 people being accepted off of the waitlist here at USC around April/beginning of May. I'm not sure how much it helps for other schools because the people accepted to MUSC or USC-Greenville already had excellent stats and probably could have got in without the program. I have no idea how the program works for OOS since no one applied that i'm aware of (excluding some dental students).

7) Anything else you'd like to add

If you don't get in you can apply to transfer your credits to the masters program so your masters degree will only take an extra year, which you can finish while applying for the next cycle. The library kinda sucks and is small. There was also conviction papers posted all over the entrance of the school of some guy that came into the library and flashed a female student. There is security at night however and the library doors lock around 7 which you need your school ID to get in after that.

8) A rating from 1-5 (1 being the worst (no recommendation) to 5 (full recommendation)

I would say about a 4. I'm unsure of how useful the program is to schools other than USC, and there is no clinical component involved so it is pretty much a glorified first year of the masters program, but it seemed to help with getting into USC so it has that going for it.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM Post Bacc
completed 2015, now an MS1

1) Pros vs Cons
Pros:
- It is one of the few post bacc programs that has direct linkage into their med school. And you are likely to gain acceptance if you get a 3.0, 23 MCAT, and a decent interview
- Classes are challenging in that they undoubtedly prepare you for real med classes, and in most cases, the classes are taught just like how the profs would teach MS1. Many professors are extremely helpful and care about teaching, some even reply to emails on weekends and I have never had a problem with getting a quick appointment in.
- Every student gets an adviser, so if you want another science faculty rec that will boost your application, it's extremely easy to get one.
- CHEAP. Compared to rosalind franklin or VCOM's tuition for their post bacc, it is really really cheap. Not to mention the actual med school is as well for a private institution.
- Curve doesn't exist. This could be a good + bad thing which you can see explained in the cons. The pro is that no one is competing against each other and students are extremely open to sharing study guides, flash cards, and other assistance with each other without hesitation. The general atmosphere between students is thus pretty good in that everyone wants everyone else to do well because Jamie emphasizes a lot how seats are available for every single post bacc student if they hit the requirements to link in. In other words, competition is not a problem. You only have to deal with yourself and in a way, with the teachers and how they test (explained later).
- Location. Nothing largely bad about Erie besides weather. Everything is cheaper here unless you lived in a small rural town before this. Plenty of cheap housing can be found within only a couple minutes drive from LECOM. Not to mention, traffic does not exist here.

Cons:
- To clarify the 3.0 requirement, I initially thought getting a 3.0 would be a cinch. In undergrad, I got a 3.0 science GPA and not really studying as hard as I'd like so thinking that without the volunteering, research, clubs, etc. if I devoted all my time to solely studying, 3.0 would be easy. WRONG. This is not so much a "con" as it is a fair warning. We started with around 120 students and I believe only around 60-70 made the cut (though some of those may have gotten the 3.0 but not the MCAT). The classes can be extremely difficult. Difficult, but not unfair for the most part. They are challenging especially Phys, Anat, Histo, Pharm, etc..., but when you are done with them, you'll get a huge sense of satisfaction at how much you've learned. I'll go over study tips later.
- Teachers are wildly inconsistent sometimes. You'll have multiple teachers teaching one subject such as Anatomy, and they all can vary so much. For example, you'll have a teacher who has straightforward lectures then test you very easily for first month. Then second month, you'll have a prof who has very short and lacking lecture slides, then test you above and beyond his powerpoints with 2nd and 3rd order questions (true anecdote of what happened in our year). Some teachers are short and succinct in their methods, some ramble too much. Some speak way too fast, some speak slow with English as not their first language. Again, may or may not be a "con" as most if not all schools would have inconsistent teaching. Just a fair warning that not all teachers test similarly.
- Lack of curve. I mentioned before this removes all sense of competition. Yet. There have been a few awful tests where 40-60% of the class had gotten F's and C's. You cannot rely on a curve as you did in undergrad. If everyone does bad, it does not matter, if you got a raw score of 60% on a test, then that's that.
- Snow is awful here. You will find yourself scraping snow off your car once every 3 days if not 3 times a day. On top of that, Erie is a odd town to describe. It feels almost like a enclosed area where most of the people you'll meet don't understand what it's like to live anywhere else. The people are nice, but there is somewhat of a lack of diversity and options to go places since actual cities are hours drives away. Not a true con as living preferences are to each his own, but something to understand if you're used to living somewhere like NYC or LA.

Can go on forever about classes, this part of the response could be pages long. If you want more detailed description, just PM me. In short, some classes are 1 credit, some are 5. DO NOT underestimate 1 credit classes, there were a handful that failed the 1 credit class and so would be barred from linkage. At the same time, there were a few who missed the 3.0 by 1 credit because they may have gotten a B in it and needed the A.

Don't underestimate the 3.0 requirement. Classes ARE HARD. Fortunately, I did well starting off because I cautiously overstudied. Many did awful their first test and so that would set the tone for the rest of the year. Would you rather start strong then take it easier later because you have a cushion, or would you rather do awful starting out then stressfully try to study your ass off to pass towards the end?

Anyone can get the 3.0 if you put in the effort. Unfortunately, I knew a couple students, no matter how much they studied, they were just awful test takers and would consistently get C's and thus could not keep up with the program. I'm not exaggerating when I say tests are hard. You may be successful in memorizing every little detail for an upcoming test, but if you don't have the acumen to apply it or think critically in terms of a third order question, this will be a tough road. It mirrors actual med school so there's only so much you can complain about unfair tests. Also, and a big thing to emphasize. If you choose this program and decide to go here, humility is huge. You are in the post bacc, not med school. You don't have room to strut around and act as if you're the smartest cookie around. You along with others have a reason why you're doing the post bacc and it's a chance to show you have what it takes when it comes to time management and studying skills. In other words, have the social sense to act humble around your fellow classmates and soon to be friends. If you do well, don't parade it in front of others, you never know if they are having a difficult time. And this is not high school anymore, there's no sense in bragging how little you study when we all know you exaggerate. I loved our class and I still can't believe how awesome all my classmates were. Many of them would not make it in, but you end up making some strong connections regardless because of what you all go through together.

Chances are hard to tell if presented with gpa and mcat. Really, I met a range of people from people with the lowest of the low MCAT scores, to people with MD level MCAT scores and same with GPAs. If you think you even have a chance, apply. Apply, apply. This program is a lifesaver if you want to be a physician. And if you come in with extremely low MCAT and low GPA, don't fret that that will transfer over to med school classes. I knew a girl with 19MCAT who ended up crushing this program while successfully retaking the MCAT. This is a clean slate from undergrad.

Absolutely. Got in when no other school even gave me an interview.

This post bacc year is crucial. It isn't a time to have a goal like learn a new hobby or make as many friends as possible. The point is to put all your mind and effort into it so that you can get into a med school and secure your future. With that in mind, here are some study tips. OVERSTUDY, ESPECIALLY the first tests of the semester. Better to start strong and finish comfortably than to start weak and scramble at the end. Secondly, study guides and flash cards. I never did that in undergrad, and had to switch it up for med school. It helps so much to have guides to look back at especially when you're studying for finals. You only have a week to study for your cumulative finals, to go through literally thousands of lecture slides in a week is crazy. That's why most people have study guides that emphasize high yield material in a way that's more memorable. To clarify, it's easier to remember and recall things while studying you're own handmade guides as opposed to disorganized hundred slide power points that the professors put together. Not to mention, lecture slides can be lacking and you have to be able to put into your own words extra detail or notes that may be important.

Also, I haven't addressed the whole image thing with LECOM yet. To put it simply, it's blown out of proportions. Our post bacc class is smart. Smart in that everyone understands how useful this program is to their future. Meaning I have rarely heard people complain about LECOM's policies like the dress code or security, etc. Small prices to pay to become a doc when no other med school would take you. If you're going to whine about dress code or not bringing food to lecture, a reality check is in place and that just like an actual workplace, rules are in place to maintain an environment of professionalism. If you've heard active complaints about LECOM, I doubt it would be from the post bacc, and it would be from some very entitled, loud minority from the school. The tuition here is extremely low, the post bacc gives chances to people who have no other, and many of the professors and staff are the nicest people I've ever met. Complaining is in our nature as students, but usually it will be about tests and studying, not LECOM or the post bacc itself. Just my two cents.

4 out of 5. Would be a 5 if it weren't for some awful teachers we had.

Reactions: 14 users
Does anyone know what programs accept you with previous science classes taken. I only have 1 or 2 completed

are they linked with the dental schools

Last edited:
I have a 3.88 overall GPA/3.5 sci GPA and a 20 DAT . ...TS 20 PAT 19 AA 20
I have been accepted to the MWU Glendale MA program (9month)..and I want to apply to Dental school for the 2015 cycle which opens next week so that I can start in the fall of 2016 right after my MA ends.
Will schools dental schools not look at my app when I apply in June? Will they wait until my 1st semester ends? And am I doing myself more harm in the dental admissions cycle by doing this MA program...rather than just doing something else and applying with my current stats?

I am mainly doing the MA to prepare me for the the dental school coursework, so that I can come in with somewhat of an edge...
With those stats, you are wasting your money and time doing MA before dental school.

Last edited:
Anyone from Mt. Sinai MS in Biomedical sciences?

Can't find anyone on this forum who's done it.
I'm also looking for info or a review from former students in the program. There's a big void of information as far as the Mount Sinai program is concerned. Is there anyone willing to share their experience...please? :)

between Rutgers Piscataway and Newark MBS (1 year) vs Midwestern MA (9month)

who wins? I have been accepted into both, and I live in the same city as Midwestern...which masters looks more impressive to other dental schools? Also, isn't an MA lesser of a degree than MBS?

between Rutgers Piscataway and Newark MBS (1 year) vs Midwestern MA (9month)

who wins? I have been accepted into both, and I live in the same city as Midwestern...which masters looks more impressive to other dental schools? Also, isn't an MA lesser of a degree than MBS?
The Newark MBS allows you to take Dental school classes - do the other two?

If not, then I think its a clear winner.

MA vs MBS is meaningless for SMPs

The Newark MBS allows you to take Dental school classes - do the other two?

If not, then I think its a clear winner.

MA vs MBS is meaningless for SMPs

If you already live in they same city as midwestern's I would go there since you get in state tuition.

Midwestern is private. No IS/OOS.

Reactions: 1 user
If you already live in they same city as midwestern's I would go there since you get in state tuition.

Midwestern is private. No IS/OOS.
As Midlife said, Midwestern is private so that doesn't make sense. Also, I would argue that taking classes with dental students and attending a true SMP should be a more important factor than cost. SMPs suck for cost either way - may as well do it right the first time

Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health: Master of Health Science (MHS), Molecular Microbiology and Immunology Department
*Note this program was not necessarily POSTBAC nor SMP, but a masters

1) The Pros and Cons of their program (structure of the program, learning environment, cost, location, faculty, classes, difficulty, competitiveness, other students, buildings/classrooms/facilities, etc..)

PROS:
-If you study hard, and choose classes wisely (which isn't a problem as it is an EXTREMELY flexible program) you can get great grades.
-You can take some fantastic courses with the top people of their field in infectious diseases to refugee healthcare...
-You are across the street from the hospital, so you can find a place to volunteer there
-There is the ability to transfer into the master of science program, where you can do a research based thesis
-If all else fails and med school is a no go you have a good Masters Degree from a top university to get a job, lands you good jobs if you make the connection (NIH, FDA)
-lots of free food events... :thumbup::happy:

CONS:
-It is not a pre-med centered program with a lot of structure and guidance, so if you are not independent and seek out the awesome opportunities yourself this may not be for you

Immunology, Parasitology, Vector Biology, International Health, Refugee Healthcare

Do not hesitate to take classes for pass/fail

MAKE CONNECTIONS. Enjoy the free food. Don't overwhelm your schedule with classes

You can PM if you have a specific questions.

Just finished my application, but it did get me a great research job.

4 (only because it does not hand you resources for medical school directly, you have to seek them out yourself)/

Does anyone have any information on Case Western's Master of Medical Physiology or University of Northern Colorado's Master of Biomedical Sciences program?
This is probably really late, but did you end up applying to either program?

Hi All,
Just wanted to give some info on Hofstra's post-bacc program, as I will be completing the program in a month.

I really don't think this post-bacc was in any way catered to helping me in my path to an MD/DO school. By this I mean that while I retook all of the med-school pre-reqs and got mostly As, a few A-s, I feel as though I could have done this at any school in the world. There is no specific help or guidance for post-bacc students, it was really just a continuation of my undergrad studies. So, if you live nearby, by all means do a post-bac program here, but you certainly shouldn't go out of your way to attend Hofstra's post-bacc program. Hopefully, since I did well, I'll get in to a MD or DO program, but from what I've read, it seems as though going to a Post-bacc program that is more established, or even doing an MPH or some other grad program would be preferable to this one.

I'm also in Hofstra's postbac program so I would also like to weigh in. It's really easy to get As at this school so if you have a good undergrad and just need to get the classes done then this is a good option. Also if you aren't a totally normal postbac...like you've taken a few of the premed classes but just need to finish them this is also a really good option. It's super unstructured which has its pros and cons. The advising is absolutely horrible. However the lack of structure makes it possible to finish the program in a year which can be great. Otherwise most of the postbacs are local and that's why they chose Hofstra. It's an easy program and it's easy to make connections with the med school there if you reach out. The med school while new and not ranked too high does have a pretty unique curriculum and it never hurts to have your foot in the door when applying to med school even if the school isn't your dream school! Don't discount Hofstra post-bac just because it isn't super established. It does the job and you can get As, easily.

Current Barry U BMS student. I would highly, highly, highly, recommend this program for pre dental students. Not sure where the bad reputation is coming from. Many premed students have also matriculated, just not as many as the dental track students.

Touro College of Osteopathic Medicine -Middletown: Masters Program
completed (class of 2016) now an OMS-1 (class of 2020)

Intro: This program was the most competitive program I have ever been in, not because of the program itself but because of the students in the program. The qualifications to enter in the fall DO class are: 3.5 min cumulative gpa and a passing score on the comprehensive exam. This program is more like a pipeline program for students, but you still earn a Masters in a year if you don't matriculate into the fall DO class.

-The program is structured so you take the same exact courses as DO students (except for OMM, PD, and an ethics course-masters have a separate ethics-style course fall semester/path, pharmacology and OMM again spring semester). The courses are taught by the same faculty teaching the DO students. Classes are separated b/w DO's and Masters in Middletown (DO and MS students are not merged together in an A group B group like they are at Touro Harlem).
-Video lectures are done on your own and class consists of clicker questions - all hail the flipped classroom method.
-Exams are taken on laptops through a specific program in a structured setting, with exam days being reserved for Mondays. Typically, when the semester gets rolling, there will be exams piling up so they'l be every week. In spring semester there may even be 2-3 exams in one week.
-Faculty are a god-send when it comes to pushing for MS students to matriculate in the Fall DO class. The opinion of the faculty teaching your courses plays a role. Faculty are always there to provide extra guidance, knowledge and candy.
-Although the material presented in classes is not difficult, it is a lot of information - you are in a medical school curriculum. In my class the students were on it since day 1. I've never met a more dedicated group of individuals.
-Students are ranked in the course based on their exam grades, ranks go out 3x a semester so you know where you fall relative to the class.
-This school is very high-tech (sim lab, anatomy lab etc. and theyre continuing to expand -google glasses coming to anatomy lab soon!).
-Middletown is a city that is still developing, you will find some regular chains nearby but will need to drive.
-Students get a free pass to the YMCA (it has a sauna!)
-Dorms are available in the building and apartment complexes are as close as a mile away, some students also rent houses nearby. Plenty of parking available for students in the lots.

-Fall Semester: Histology, Clinical Anatomy and Embryology I, Biochemistry, Physiolgoy I, Law and Ethics.
-Spring Semester: Clinical Anatomy and Embryolgoy II-this is half the semester which continues on as NeuroAnatomy, Physiology II-continues as Intro to Pharm, Medical Genetics, Health and Human Behavior, Immunology & Microbiology, Community Service.
-Anatomy is worth the most credits fall semester (7) and Immuno spring semester (6 credits). Doing well in these classes and neglecting the other will not help you, dedicate time to ALL your courses.
-You are expected to have watched video lectures before coming to clicker sessions. Some students dont do that, some students do. Some profs will quiz you verbally in class on the material -it's always best to be prepared.

-I wish I realized I should've began watching video lectures the week of orientation.
-When it comes to video lectures time management is key, don't pile up all the videos for an exam the week before the exam because you still have clickers to prepare for that week.
-Don't exam chase (i.e. only watch that upcoming exam's video for that week and neglect all your other courses), you'll be better off when finals week rears its ugly head.
-Learn to study a little bit of every course every day. Make time to go to the gym, watch a tv show while you eat and don't force yourself to work when you want to nap. This is a high stress program and you need to find time away from the books.
-Make friends with people who want the same goal as you and work WITH them to get that coveted seat.

You have to hit the ground running. Get friendly with faculty as they will help you in the end through recommendations. Always perform a standard deviation above class average on exams. Class averages always depend on how the students perform on the exam. In the fall averages for individual exams will be around 80-85 but in the spring averages rise to 87-90s (one of ours even went up to 92), this happens because people find out how to learn and retain material better spring semester. Try out different learning styles early on and see what suits you. Don't try to use all the resources.
You will encounter hardships when it comes to a specific course. Don't take it to heart. Make sure you give this program your all and you will do well. It's all about how much effort you put it.

Touro will select about 60-70 students for the program. On average MCATs will be from 23-28 and gpas 3.0-above cumulative. You should speak about how dedicated you are to progressing your academic record and how you want to experience the medical school curriculum.

Yes, I gained admission into the Class of 2020 at Tourocom Middletown. About 33 students were selected from the Masters Program from 62 students.

7)
Remember this about classmates: everyone wants the same thing you want, that DO seat in the fall.
In my class there were students that would strut around claiming how little they studied and how well they did -ignore these people, don't be one of those people. Every single person is in this program because they either didn't gain acceptance to medical school or are trying. Have humility when you enter this program, if you don't you will be reminded by administration.

3 -, not a 5 because sometimes administration is shifty on what they say regarding the admissions process for masters. Also I feel that it is unfair how students are ranked against each other, the competition is fierce. When it comes to getting an A for an exam you have to do a full standard deviation above the class average on exams and sometimes that means getting a 98.9 on an exam (standard deviations range from 3- 11 points), so yea, it's a little hard.

Last edited:
SFSU Formal Post-Bac Career Changer Track, finished in 2015

Pros:
-Allowed me to take upper level science pre-reqs in a time-efficient way. The Cal State system is overextended with undergrad enrollment, making a DIY post-bac outside of CC impossible. This was expensive, but a means to an end.
-Wonderful instructors and challenging classes. Koskelo for physics, Beyer for Calc, Halloran for Stats, Tripp for OChem, and Casso for Biochem were all fantastic and prepared me well for the MCAT. Particularly Koskelo and Tripp. I also got 2 great letters of rec from instructors. The classes taught by the "leadership team" were of poor quality, and are not reccomended if you can help it.
-I love SFSU's campus and history of engagement in social justice work. The post-bac program tries to piggy-back on SFSU's achievements as a school, and does a poor job. I'm proud to have attended SFSU if not the post-bac program.
-The fellow students who make it through the program are smart, compassionate, wonderful people.
Cons:
-Expense: not only is the program incredibly expensive, the cost of living in SF is the highest in the country. You will spend more money on rent than on tuition. Not recommended for anybody unless they have money to burn or already live in the Bay Area.
-Poor advising. Some of the advice given in the application colloquium was poisonous misinformation and I am sure led to reapplicants. A real bias against students educating themselves on SDN. Advisors were almost impossible to pin down unless you live in student housing and can be on campus 24/7. Advisors really push MCAT prep programs to the point of building them into the curriculum. I self-studied and did better than many of my classmates who I felt were pushed into a $2000 Princeton Review program. Advisors will recommend you retake CC credits, and will tell you that they look bad on AMCAS which is untrue and a waste of time and money.
-Very structured. A required "health care seminar" that was a waste of time and taught by a former philosphy adjunct who knows literally nothing about healthcare.
-DISORGANIZED AND VERY LATE COMMITTEE LETTER. Aside from being able to get necessary pre-reqs, I really thought the committee letter would be helpful in the application process. Although I was verified by AMCAS and AACOMAS within the second week of June and had all my individual faculty letters submitted, I did not receive my committee letter until the END OF AUGUST, missing the cut-off date for UC Davis btw. I still had a successful cycle, but feel as though a lot of options disappeared, since such a late letter meant I was not complete until early September.

-Summer: Calc, Health and Social Justice
-Fall&Spring '13: Ochem 1 & 2, Physics 1 & 2
-Fall '14: Bio 2, Statistics, Biochem
*I took Chem 1 & 2, Bio 1, and Medical Microbiology at Community College. Never once was it brought up as a negative in interviews and I saved a ton of money.

-When I started the program it was quoted over and over again that 80% of students who make it through the post-bac end up in a health professions graduate program. This fails to mention the attrition rate between the beginning and end of the program. My cohort was about 60 people to start, and as far as I know about 30 of those finished, with ~20 of them accepted into med/pod/pt schools. I also have no idea how they come to this number, since I was never contacted at any point of my cycle to see if I was accepted.

See above

-SFSU selects for very high stats coming in. The classes are far more challenging than their undergrad equivalent, and they expect students to be able to handle the rigor.

-As far as providing an excellent science background with coursework geared toward the MCAT--YES. I had a good cycle with a lot of acceptances and loved my professors. As far as advising, committee letter, application colloquia, opportunities for volunteering or research-- NO. Educate yourself about the application timeline and seek out volunteer and research opportunities on your own early on, and you'll be fine.
-The classmates of mine who made it through and were accepted made it into excellent programs including UCSF, Columbia, UMich, OHSU, but I am convinced this was in spite of program advising rather than a result of it. As I mentioned, the SFSU post-bac selects for high achievers in the application process.

-I hate to sound so negative. Truly the only beef I have is with the leadership team and advisors for presenting themselves as being essential to the application process, when really, the smart student is on their own and in many cases hindered by the leadership team, misinformation spread around by Dr. Rothman, and ridiculous seminar requirements. My classmates, professors, and course materials were excellent and I could not have gotten into med school in a timely manner without this post-bac.
-I wouldn't recommend this program if you are moving from out-of-state, or have any other way to take upper division science classes at a University.

Has anyone here completed the Cornell/DNS post-bacc program? If so, what was your experience?

Thank you for your help!

Pros: Heavy science-based curriculum, so if your science GPA is low (like mine was, you have a great chance to remedy it). Cons:I was in the class of '06, which was the second class ever, so there were tons of kinks in the program. The professors were hit or miss (really good, or downright terrible). The program director at the time was the worst ever, but she's been replaced by a great new director. The cost was reasonable compared to other post-bacc programs. The location sucks, lake shore doesn't have bars, cafes or restaurants, so be prepared to take the El any time you want to go somewhere. Competitiveness was bad, as could be imagined when you stick 50 premeds, all of whom were already rejected once, in classes together and tell them that they better get A's if they want to get in. Also, the committee letter they tell you to get isn't worth all the trouble. I just got a letter of rec from one of my professors and added it to my undergrad letters, which saved me a ton of time and stress.

When I took it, you took A&P both semesters (no lab), biochem, cell dev., cell bio, pharm, and neuro. 6 classes, 4 units each.

How much I was lied to about the "nurturing" environment. It's cut-throat. It's competitive. You have to sell-out if you want to be happy. Also, you're constantly encouraged to apply to DO schools, which I adamantly resisted doing.

MAMS loves to tout how many of its student get into medical school, but the truth is that a lot of students go to DO schools after getting rejected from allopathic schools. There's a good amount, and MAMS doesn't divulge that info. Also, Stritch doesn't take MAMS seriously, so if you're trying to get into Stritch, don't think that MAMS will do it (I didn't even apply to Stritch after I graduated even though i was guaranteed an interview, that's how little i was impressed with the school)

Call the office and make sure you talk to someone and explain your background and situation, it helps a lot.
Yes, but not nearly as much as they said it would or that they think it does. Helping boost my science GPA was great, but I can do that without spending 30000 dollars. I did a ton of extra work (published a paper, did lots of community service, worked at a major biotech company), which helped me just as much if not more.

Again, realize that the statistics MAMS uses includes students going to DO schools. So if that's not your cup of tea, stay clear.

2. The really good professors are the only reason this isn't rated as a 1.

Hi, I don't see the name of your school mentioned anywhere. What is the program?

Is anyone familiar with UMASS Dartmouth post bacc? I want to stay close to home and got accepted into there program. Any thoughts?

Anyone familiar with Liberty University MBS program?

Hi, I don't see the name of your school mentioned anywhere. What is the program?

That was a very, very old post and as was mentioned already that user is no longer active.

If you're actually interested in learning more about that program I advise using the more recent specific application threads for it from the past several years. Best of luck.

Does anyone have any reviews on:

EVMS
Cincinnatti
Georgetown
USF
UNT

I can do Cincinnati briefly:

Program is very well structured with great support. First semester you spend the first six weeks taking a graduate level course that really helps you prepare for the medical school blocks. You then take two medical school blocks to end the first semester. These courses are taken alongside the M1s, and you are are graded against the M1 average. The second semester begins with the musculoskeletal organ system block, taken alongside the M1s. This will be the first year that the SMPers will be doing the dissections. They integrate the SMP class into the medical school class, which I think is great.

The program is difficult, not gonna lie. But generally, people who put in the time do well. Because you are not graded against other SMP students, there is really no reason for competition within the Master's class. The class is very cohesive, and I know that my friends in the program really helped me get through the year. The facilities at UCCoM are fantastic - the professors are very knowledgable and they truly care about you. The advisors of the master's program really want you to succeed and they are an excellent resource. I also found that the SMP alumni at UCCoM were very willing to help in any way possible.

First Semester:
Graduate medical physiology 1 (graduate level course - not too difficult)
Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine (First med school block - lots of biochem)
Fundamentals of Cellular Medicine (second med school block - lots of immunology)
MSK (first organ system block taken with the medical students)
Graduate medical physiology 2 (graduate level course - not insanely difficult)
Biostatistics (not hard, but you do have to try a little)
Capstone project (most people do a literature review)
A few other seminars etc. that are easy

I wish I had spent more time seeing the city of Cincinnati during my master's year. It is a great city with a lot to do.

Come prepared to study. If you need an SMP to get into medical school, then this program can help you immensely. But you need to work hard to earn a good grade.

Be genuine and succinct in the application. Talk about why you want to do the program in addition to why you want to become a physician.

Absolutely, it certainly helped me get into a US MD school. I had a 3.0 gpa coming in to the SMP. I don't think that I would have had a shot at MD without the program, and I really do believe that my performance in the program did help me get over the hump. If you are looking to prove that your undergrad performance does not reflect your potential, and that you can be successful in medical school, then this program will certainly give you an opportunity to show this.

I'll try to revise and add some more things later. I just don't have a ton of time right now.

5 no doubt.

I can do Cincinnati briefly:

Program is very well structured with great support. First semester you spend the first six weeks taking a graduate level course that really helps you prepare for the medical school blocks. You then take two medical school blocks to end the first semester. These courses are taken alongside the M1s, and you are are graded against the M1 average. The second semester begins with the musculoskeletal organ system block, taken alongside the M1s. This will be the first year that the SMPers will be doing the dissections. They integrate the SMP class into the medical school class, which I think is great.

The program is difficult, not gonna lie. But generally, people who put in the time do well. Because you are not graded against other SMP students, there is really no reason for competition within the Master's class. The class is very cohesive, and I know that my friends in the program really helped me get through the year. The facilities at UCCoM are fantastic - the professors are very knowledgable and they truly care about you. The advisors of the master's program really want you to succeed and they are an excellent resource. I also found that the SMP alumni at UCCoM were very willing to help in any way possible.

First Semester:
Graduate medical physiology 1 (graduate level course - not too difficult)
Fundamentals of Molecular Medicine (First med school block - lots of biochem)
Fundamentals of Cellular Medicine (second med school block - lots of immunology)
MSK (first organ system block taken with the medical students)
Graduate medical physiology 2 (graduate level course - not insanely difficult)
Biostatistics (not hard, but you do have to try a little)
Capstone project (most people do a literature review)
A few other seminars etc. that are easy

I wish I had spent more time seeing the city of Cincinnati during my master's year. It is a great city with a lot to do.

Come prepared to study. If you need an SMP to get into medical school, then this program can help you immensely. But you need to work hard to earn a good grade.

Be genuine and succinct in the application. Talk about why you want to do the program in addition to why you want to become a physician.

Absolutely, it certainly helped me get into a US MD school. I had a 3.0 gpa coming in to the SMP. I don't think that I would have had a shot at MD without the program, and I really do believe that my performance in the program did help me get over the hump. If you are looking to prove that your undergrad performance does not reflect your potential, and that you can be successful in medical school, then this program will certainly give you an opportunity to show this.

I'll try to revise and add some more things later. I just don't have a ton of time right now.

5 no doubt.
Do you mind if I pm you?

Does anyone have information/thoughts on these schools:

University of Rochester
Manhattanville College
Hofstra University
Cornell University
Fordham University

Okay, I need to update this for people interested in Indiana Med because I think this needs to be said. First of all, this program is beyond helpful if you plan on attending Indiana. I don't know how beneficial it is to other med schools, but I can only imagine it's just as helpful, if not more.

Why?

Because the courses you take have a HUGE impact on the courses you take in medical school. Let me give you some examples of how helpful -

Immunology - the SMP program has you take an immunology course that basically makes you beyond prepared for immunology in medical school. You're essentially getting a complete education into immunology that prepares you to succeed in what you need to know for medical school. After taking this course, you're basically more acclimated to focusing on case studies that are presented in classes because you're going to be more comfortable with the information presented. I can't speak highly enough about this course - you're getting a complete walk-through into everything you'll need to know for immunology.

Sensory Systems and Neuro Development - Combined, you'll have a ridiculous edge in Neuroanatomy. I kid you not, because you'll be more comfortable following the nerve pathways and how everything works while everyone struggles to understand what the hell is going on. Having these two courses; I'm definitely having an easier time getting with the neuroanatomy and I'm glad. You're getting information on nerve pathways that are substantially important to your education in med school and I can't thank this course enough.

I also took a course on Genetic Diseases which helped, too. This was a course that basically taught you 15-20 diseases that are genetically derived. The diseases are ones more commonly talked about and definitely helped.

Regenerative Medicine - This was a good course because it essentially made you understand/recognize/memorize/know signal pathways dealing with our bodies. Signal transduction mechanisms are a huge part of our education nowadays and I can't speak highly enough about how helpful this course was towards reinforcing my knowledge for school.

All in all; these courses definitely helped. If not to get me INTO med school, then to help me succeed greatly in med school. My only regret was not being able to take physiology while in this program, because you're basically taking the same course as med students. That would've definitely helped me in the long run. So, in essence, this program definitely deserves more recognition because it helps.
Hi! I am new to the SDN...would you care to update how med school is going for you at IU?

Does anyone have information/thoughts on these schools:

University of Rochester
Manhattanville College
Hofstra University
Cornell University
Fordham University

Fordham University Post-Bacc, finished in 2016

Pros:
- Expense: One credit costs around $800 while NYU and Columbia are double at $1600.
- Location: You live in New York City. Fordham University has 3 campuses, but the main campus is located in the Bronx. The school has a license to run labs only at the Bronx location so you will be there to take lab-concurrent courses (i.e. Bio, Gen Chem, OChem, Physics, etc). I lived right by the Bronx campus which saved me $$$ on rent, but I could easily go down to Manhattan via the van shuttle the schools runs between the Bronx campus and Manhattan campus. Definitely a big perk!
- Class size: You will mostly take classes specifically for the post-bacc students but you also can take undergrad classes. The class sizes are small compared to like Columbia which have massive intro course class sizes.
- Undergrad professors: The undergrad professors are really the most underrated part of this school. Saba for OChem, Zencheck for upper level Bio, etc.
- Facilities: You get access to undergrad facilities like the gym where they offer yoga classes, spinning, etc. The Bronx campus is also beautifully maintained landscape-wise. I also bought a meal plan so I could eat at the cafeteria when I felt too lazy or busy to cook.
- Tutoring: As a post-bacc, you can and should take full advantage of undergrad tutors. I went to the physics tutors, and I also became a chemistry tutor.
- Acceptance in the program is pretty lax as long as you fulfill the minimum GPA requirements (undergrad 3.0 I think??)
- Summer OChem: I loved my experience taking OChem in the summer. It is very doable if you are ready to study everyday. The professors are the dopest.
- Independent structure of the program was a big factor for me to choose this place. I was able to finish all my pre-reqs in a year including summer (I had already taken BIO and GChem elsewhere). It helps if you plan to work part-time as well.

Cons:
- Advising: The advising here will not help but actually hinder you. There is a single person who is also an assistant dean in the law school. You have to register for classes manually while sitting down with this person at the start of every semester. However, the only problem is if the advisor is ever in her office. You will lose your hair waiting for a response from her for appointment times. This will be evident from the beginning in the application process. You will be agonizing waiting to hear back for your telephone interview. This was definitely the most negative experience of my time here.
- Post-bacc professors: There are post-bacc only classes that you will have to mostly take. These classes are generally taught by different professors than the undergrad professors. They range from good to horrible. The problem is that a lot of times you won't know who will be teaching your class until the first day of class. Also, I had a situation where the physics professor was replaced between semesters so there was the disruption of teaching styles which is never fun. I personally tried to take as many undergrad classes as possible but your advisor will try to limit you from doing this.
- DISORGANIZED AND LATE COMMITTEE LETTER. I spoke with previous classes and saw my class experience problems with getting the committee letters in a timely manner. I sidestepped this and directly got letters of recommendation from professors. Again, you will experience a chokehold here because the committee letter runs through, guess who, your one and only, nearly-absentee advisor. I was able to get into all my top choices without a committee letter and you can too if you take that path.
- The library is not 24/7.
- Lack of camaraderie: Since the program is not formally structured, you won't have a cohort. You will also see a range of people who are motivated and unmotivated.
- Limited research opportunities but they are available if that's what you're looking for.

- Summer: Organic Chemistry 1 & 2 with Saba and Caccio
- Fall 2015 & Spring 2016: Physics 1 & 2, Biochem, Psychology, Physiology

- At this program or any other post-bacc, it's up to you to make it or not. This is your last chance, and especially at this school, an advisor is NOT going to hold your hand. If you're up for it, you can do well here. If you make friends with some undergrads, they can help direct you to easier upper level biology courses to make life easier too. Take advantage of the office hours and tutoring. Office hours are so much emptier at this school because class sizes are much smaller than larger universities, but the undergrad professors are usually very good.

See above

- Apply as soon as possible. Don't wait. It is pretty lax getting in as long as you are above the minimum GPA threshold. I had some grammatical errors in my personal statement but it never came up.

-As far as providing an excellent science background with coursework geared toward the DAT--YES. I had a good cycle with a lot of acceptances and loved my professors. As far as advising, committee letter, application colloquia, opportunities for volunteering or research-- NO. Educate yourself about the application timeline and seek out volunteer and research opportunities on your own early on, and you'll be fine.

- My beef and every other post-bacc student's beef was with the leadership of the sole advisor. This person will not be present physically or in spirit with you on your journey. It is ridiculously irresponsible to run this program when you have other full-time commitments (i.e. advising in the law school).
- Take the undergrad classes when you can.
- I wouldn't recommend this program if you need a lot of advising.

Anyone have feedback on Brown's Master's in Medical Sciences? Really curious about this program! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

@Vinny15 no I don't except for what it says on the website. I was hoping someone who completed the program could comment as I can't find much about it on sdn

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Could someone please do an updated rating on UPenn LPS Specialized program please?