RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No school (the snow part is actually a rant, but whatever), won a $10 gift card for predicting what time the school would announce closing and have a chicken pot pie in the oven. If the power stays on this will be a lovely day :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
No school (the snow part is actually a rant, but whatever), won a $10 gift card for predicting what time the school would announce closing and have a chicken pot pie in the oven. If the power stays on this will be a lovely day :D

Gas heat right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Furnace runs on electric, so I'd be out heat. Landlord told me to crank it up this morning as high as I can tolerate in case we do lose power...really hoping it doesn't come down to that :xf:

:eek:

How cold is it? I'm a wuss when it comes to indoor heat. I can brave whatever BS snow storm there is outside, but my house needs to be warm.

On the plus side, if the snow really piles up outside it will act as an insulator. But I don't think we'll be getting enough for that.

:eek:

How cold is it? I'm a wuss when it comes to indoor heat. I can brave whatever BS snow storm there is outside, but my house needs to be warm.

Supposed to get to ~25F today (but overcast) which isn't too bad. The wind is supposed to be brutal though, so that won't help. I'm not crazy about the idea either, but I have lots of blankets and socks which I'm not afraid to layer :laugh:

Supposed to get to ~25F today (but overcast) which isn't too bad. The wind is supposed to be brutal though, so that won't help. I'm not crazy about the idea either, but I have lots of blankets and socks which I'm not afraid to layer :laugh:

Ok, so -31C. I had to convert because fahrenheit makes no sense to me. :p

Reactions: 1 user
Gas heat is rare out here. Most places are oil or electric. If you're lucky, you have a wood stove (we had two in our house when I was a kid and I really miss it).

I just wish it would hurry up and start already, because the longer it takes it start, the longer it will take to end and I don't want to lose another day of school tomorrow too. Redhead, if you lose power and I still have it, you're welcome to crash with me in town. I accept pot pies as payment. :happy:

ETA: I think Escalla saw the ~ as a - sign.

Reactions: 1 users
Gas heat is rare out here. Most places are oil or electric. If you're lucky, you have a wood stove (we had two in our house when I was a kid and I really miss it).

I just wish it would hurry up and start already, because the longer it takes it start, the longer it will take to end and I don't want to lose another day of school tomorrow too. Redhead, if you lose power and I still have it, you're welcome to crash with me in town. I accept pot pies as payment. :happy:

ETA: I think Escalla saw the ~ as a - sign.

I've already eaten a shameful amount of the pot pie.... :oops:

I just wish it would hurry up and start already, because the longer it takes it start, the longer it will take to end and I don't want to lose another day of school tomorrow too.

I see snowflakes! If I lose power for any substantial amount of time the birdie and I will be heading to town to warm up at school or someone's place with power or a stove. Actually GETTING there might be a different story :p

I'm still trying to figure out if we'll have water when the power goes out. Think we will. In that case we'll be fine, and the cat and I will just cuddle for warmth.

Members don't see this ad :)
Had a nice day today. Passed my cardio test, had a journal club that reminded me about my lover for emergency medicine, and had lots of interesting lectures today.

I bitched a couple weeks ago about not getting the summer research position I wanted... I just got an email offering me the slot!

I don't know if the person originally selected turned it down or what is going on, but I'm not questioning it! Man I've just had a couple really fabulous days.

Reactions: 6 users
I have posted 186 times in the rave thread, but only 80 times in the rant thread. That makes me happy, I thought the ratio would be wildly skewed the other way.

:)

How are your doggies doing?
The trouble boy.. is still struggling. We are going to U/S and then start him on steroids (pred to start, and then switch if he responds well).

Thanks for asking.
Today he is feeling the best of the week and it is so wonderful to see him actually play!

Meanwhile our 16y/o cat just had bloodwork last week and still all good.

The trouble boy.. is still struggling. We are going to U/S and then start him on steroids (pred to start, and then switch if he responds well).

Thanks for asking.
Today he is feeling the best of the week and it is so wonderful to see him actually play!

Meanwhile our 16y/o cat just had bloodwork last week and still all good.

Fingers crossed for him at least to keep feeling better. And yay for the cat :)

Extruded a lion penis today. Can't get much closer than that to a big cat. Life complete.

Reactions: 9 users
We're actually learning about birds today for the first time all year and I'm in heaven:biglove:

Reactions: 4 users
My province is removing the interest from student loans. I don't know how big an impact it will have on me, you need to live in NS and I don't know when I'll be going back, but given that I'd love to move back home at some point, this is huge.

My province is removing the interest from student loans. I don't know how big an impact it will have on me, you need to live in NS and I don't know when I'll be going back, but given that I'd love to move back home at some point, this is huge.

Were you hoping to go back after a Lab animal residency?

That's my goal, maybe get on with one of the universities (Dal would be ideal). As you can tell from my avatar, I'm pretty shameless in my love of Halifax. :shy:

That's awesome! I hope it works out. :)

While not avatar-related, I'm in love with my city as well. There's no problem with that!

FINALLY getting excited about moving/starting school.. still don't know where I'm going for sure, but in finally getting excited instead of being constantly anxious. It also helped that my husband randomly told me that he is looking forward to moving and starting a new adventure... such a weight has lifted!

We had an awesome clinical skills field trip at a sheep & goat farm today and did a blood draw and tipped a sheep... and it was super fun (but kinda hard cause the sheep was so big!) And got to hang out with some goats!

Second rave in one day, it must have been a good day. :)

Not really sure if this is a rave.
I was in a bad accident about 3 months ago and have amnesia of the whole event.
Well, I've started to have some dreams about the accident/getting in car accidents, and it's causing me to get poor quality sleep. So I did some digging around on the internet and found that Ohio keeps records of car accidents. I thought I would have to pay for the report, but came across a site where I could download it without having to pay. Turns out what I thought happened was different than what actually happened. My sister's boyfriend went to the lot where my car was being kept until the insurance company could look at it. He said that the car was just banged up a little bit on the side. So I figured the car just rolled onto its side. The reports says that the car had extensive damage to the front, and based on the diagram, it looks like the car flipped forward into a ditch and then came to a rest on its side after running into a fence.
I'm just hoping that this information will allow my brain to process the information better and I can stop having nightmares about what I think happened. I'm hoping to be able to get pictures of the accident from USAA.

Not really sure if this is a rave.
I was in a bad accident about 3 months ago and have amnesia of the whole event.
Well, I've started to have some dreams about the accident/getting in car accidents, and it's causing me to get poor quality sleep. So I did some digging around on the internet and found that Ohio keeps records of car accidents. I thought I would have to pay for the report, but came across a site where I could download it without having to pay. Turns out what I thought happened was different than what actually happened. My sister's boyfriend went to the lot where my car was being kept until the insurance company could look at it. He said that the car was just banged up a little bit on the side. So I figured the car just rolled onto its side. The reports says that the car had extensive damage to the front, and based on the diagram, it looks like the car flipped forward into a ditch and then came to a rest on its side after running into a fence.
I'm just hoping that this information will allow my brain to process the information better and I can stop having nightmares about what I think happened. I'm hoping to be able to get pictures of the accident from USAA.

I hope it does for you. I recommend talking to someone about the possibility of PTSD...

You're not alone. I still get flashbacks and anxiety turning left and it's been 8 months

Got my truck in to the mechanic without breaking down or needing a tow truck on the way. And the mechanic seemed to think it wasn't a major problem. And then they drove me to school so I didn't have to walk in the rain.

One tiny piece of stress off my shoulders today, phew!

It's raining today! And things are melting! (This is what this winter has done to me. Any indication of thaw is cause for celebration.)

Hope the mechanic is right, BD! And hope my car is something minor too.

Reactions: 2 users
It's raining today! And things are melting! (This is what this winter has done to me. Any indication of thaw is cause for celebration.)

Hope the mechanic is right, BD! And hope my car is something minor too.

Rain + melting snow is not a rave for those of us with basements :( Summer can't come fast enough! On the bright side, my cats had a fun time playing in the water this morning.

Rant turned rave: I've been home for spring break and so luckily came down with the stomach flu Sat evening. Felt like absolute poop yesterday and was supposed to fly back to Missouri. Opted to not feel like I was dying for 8 hours of travel and am flying back tomorrow instead. Thankfully I'm feeling much better today, getting caught up on my lectures and get an extra 2 days with my fam. Overall not so bad!

Did my first two neuters and a spay solo today! Everyone lived! I wasn't trying to be speedy, but my neuters took 15 and 11 minutes cut to close...and the bigger surprise was that my spay was under an hour. Not necessarily real vet speed, but I was pretty proud of myself considering it was my first one. I really felt like a vet today!

Reactions: 8 users
Did my first two neuters and a spay solo today! Everyone lived! I wasn't trying to be speedy, but my neuters took 15 and 11 minutes cut to close...and the bigger surprise was that my spay was under an hour. Not necessarily real vet speed, but I was pretty proud of myself considering it was my first one. I really felt like a vet today!
Holy crap. I think my dog neuter with a scrotal ablation took 45mins cut to close easy and my spay was much longer. Surgery is definitely not my strong suit. Nice work!

Holy crap. I think my dog neuter with a scrotal ablation took 45mins cut to close easy and my spay was much longer. Surgery is definitely not my strong suit. Nice work!
Thanks! To be honest, they were all puppies and my assistant was great at talking me through any issues I was having. We did instrument ties for the neuters because the dogs were so small, and that's why those were quick. I have a large breed dog on the schedule for tomorrow so that one will take longer I'm sure. I definitely don't want a career in surgery, but it was fun once I got over my nerves.

UPS and Fedex just came within thirty seconds of one another. One dropped off my new container for my vitamix (I might have accidentally blended a spoon through my old one...) and the other dropped off my new business cards!

Can't show the front since it has tons of personal info (obviously, haha) but lookit the back in the light! :)

http://i.imgur.com/IRG9XyC.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
UPS and Fedex just came within thirty seconds of one another. One dropped off my new container for my vitamix (I might have accidentally blended a spoon through my old one...) and the other dropped off my new business cards!

Can't show the front since it has tons of personal info (obviously, haha) but lookit the back in the light! :)

IRG9XyC.jpg

Looks amazing!

...and the other dropped off my new business cards!

IRG9XyC.jpg

May I ask what company you used? I've heard good things about Vistaprint, but I was also looking into Zazzle (though not for business cards...at least not yet).